mtbr member

OT: It's time for Supercross!

Any of you Norcal folks stoked for the 2019 Supercross series? Round one in Anaheim is this Saturday. I'm excited to see who will come out swinging. Lot's of rumors of small injuries for top riders and second tier riders who are looking VERY fast.
    -Tomac may or may not have had some back problems recently. He's a clear favorite but can he put a whole season together?
    -Can Jason Anderson defend his title or was last year a fluke?
    -Marv had a knee injury in November but has been coached by DV12 on riding whoops during the off season. Marv with whoop speed could be a game changer.
    -Roczen has been uncharacteristically quiet lately and is coming into A1 healthy and probably very fast.
    -Cole Seely is healthy again and always fun to watch indoors. His "BMX" style is extraordinary.
    -Justin Barcia was a different guy in '18. I can't wait to see what he brings to A1.
    -Blake Baggett is allegedly very fit this year and hopefully his thumb injury is behind him.
    -Webb is now on Factory KTM. I suspect working with Aldon Baker during the off season will serve him well. At least better.
    -37 year old Chad Reed will line up on a factory JGR Suzuki. Has podium potential.
    -Justin Brayton proved himself last year in Daytona. I think he can run up front.
    -Mookie is finally on a legit team and going into the series fit and prepared with zero loose ends. Word on the street is that he caught and passed a top Honda rider at the test track recently. Mookie is by far my favorite rider and I can't wait to see what he brings to the gate.
    -Plessinger, Savatgy, and Osborne have moved up to 450's. Osborne just had an unfortunate collarbone injury and won't start the season. It will be very interesting to see what learning curve is for these other two very fast guys.

Should be entertaining as always. Looking forward to watching live on the NBC Gold app as opposed to FS1. Not looking forward to Ricky Carmichael in the booth. Ralph Sheheen is bad enough. Ricky is the worst. That's my take.

Trail Gnome
    Man, am I old...I only recognize a few names. I havenít really followed supercross since my bro quit racing. Carmichael is an arrogant ass...always has been but, he can ride a bike damn fast

mtbr member
    Iím getting less and less excited every year. Last season I was watching old races on YouTube in 240p to relive the glory days.

My 3 favorite riders of all time.

Trail Gnome
    Quote Originally Posted by RBoardman View Post
    Iím getting less and less excited every year. Last season I was watching old races on YouTube in 240p to relive the glory days.

My 3 favorite riders of all time.
    I only recognize Carmichael...first time I saw him race was 1990, World Mini in Las Vegas...he was playing with toy trucks in the dirt. My mom has photos somewhere...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by griz View Post
    I only recognize Carmichael...first time I saw him race was 1990, World Mini in Las Vegas...he was playing with toy trucks in the dirt. My mom has photos somewhere...
    Travis Pastrana, the greatest actions sports athlete ever, I dare someone to tell me otherwise, and James Stewart, the fastest man on the planet and the originator of the bubba scrub. And then Ricky, the GOAT.

Moderator Moderator
    Travis Pastrana, the greatest actions sports athlete ever, I dare someone to tell me otherwise, and James Stewart, the fastest man on the planet and the originator of the bubba scrub. And then Ricky, the GOAT.
    Where does Tony Hawk, Evil Knievel, Laird Hamilton, Alex Honnold, Reinhold Messner, Gene LeBell, Fedor Emelianenko.....fall into the action sports ranking?

GMM
    mtbr member
    Great write-up on Roczen on ESPN. I believe it just came out today-- it explains his silence. It would be great if Roczen could stay healthy and Marvin Mosquin could step-up his game just a bit. Would make for an exciting series. Tomac just seemed to be on another level last year when he was riding well. I don't think Anderson will repeat, but I didn't think he would win last year either. I am looking forward to Saturday's opening round.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by GMM View Post
    Great write-up on Roczen on ESPN. I believe it just came out today-- it explains his silence. It would be great if Roczen could stay healthy and Marvin Mosquin could step-up his game just a bit. Would make for an exciting series. Tomac just seemed to be on another level last year when he was riding well. I don't think Anderson will repeat, but I didn't think he would win last year either. I am looking forward to Saturday's opening round.
    I'll have to read that ESPN article. I'm really looking at Roczen to be up front every round battling Tomac. He showed a lot of patience and maturity in outdoors. I'd also like to see Barcia get after it consistently. I'm a fan of his new attitude.

Trail Gnome

Pastrami

Pastrana was more of a side show to me...my 3 all time would be: Johnny Omara, Guy Cooper, and Doug Dubach (still racing)
    Last edited by griz; 2 Weeks Ago at 06:52 PM. Reason: Gotta love spell check

Moderator Moderator
    Pastrana was more of a side show to me...my 3 all time would be: Johnny Omara, Guy Cooper, and Doug Dubach (still racing)
    For me, in MX: this man.

OT: It's time for Supercross!-rogerdecoster1977.jpg

In SX this man:

OT: It's time for Supercross!-jeremy-mcgrath.jpg

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    Savatgy looked great in Vegas! Riding with Tomac can't hurt his speed. If Mookie had any cardio he would be podiums weekly! Hopefully zero injuries and a 4 way battle all year, Tomac, Ken, Marvin, And Anderson.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Goodwoodz View Post
    Savatgy looked great in Vegas! Riding with Tomac can't hurt his speed. If Mookie had any cardio he would be podiums weekly! Hopefully zero injuries and a 4 way battle all year, Tomac, Ken, Marvin, And Anderson.
    Malcolm Stewart has been training with Gareth Swanepoel since he inked his deal with MCR. Looks like he lost some weight to me. Rumor is that he is very fit and has 20 minutes in him no problem. Regardless, I'll take heat race Mookie over no Mookie.

mtbr member
    It's worth noting that all these current guys train hard on bicycles. A bunch of them are legit mountain bikers. Over the last few years they have become paid athletes for major bike brands.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BsL49QjH...on_share_sheet

mtbr member
    Oct 2018
    Nice write-up OP.

I think Savatgy may have a little something to say this year too. As mentioned above he looked really good at Vegas in October. As far as podium contender.
    I'd like to see Webb calm down a little. He had a bad year last year, it just wasn't his time. He relaxed a little and let the races come to him but he's very talented and should be able to do well.
    Hope to also see Jeremy Martin rebound well this season.

I think Tomac is mature enough to hold it together for the season, he should his maturity the end of last season understanding the long term (season) goal.
    I stay away from the SX news, etc. I just wait for it to air so I have all the surprises instead of listening in advance to injury status, or whatever.

Already had to fix the DVR settings as the program title changed this year.
    Lots of great potential, as there typically is. Injury aside I think there should be a lot of podium swapping this season.

Lets ..... go ..... racing!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by 5k bike 50cent legs View Post
    Where does Tony Hawk, Evil Knievel, Laird Hamilton, Alex Honnold, Reinhold Messner, Gene LeBell, Fedor Emelianenko.....fall into the action sports ranking?
    When Travis started out in Freestyle competition he was dominant and won everything. He pushed the sport so far single hand-idly. And while he was doing that he also won a mx and sx 125 championship. When he left freestyle competition it was never the same. It has gone downhill ever since. His double backfilp in 2006 in front of a sold out Staples Center was groundbreaking. Last year (or maybe the previous year) X-games best trick winner was a double backfilp with a nac-nac thrown in. In my opinion he also brought the popularity of extreme enduro races to the US. Before him and his crew went over to Erzberg to race and film, no one here even knew that was a sport. He has competed in Rally competition at the international level to varying degrees of success. Raced NASCAR, and sucked. And he if he showed up to the pits at a supercross race in 2019 I would bet money that his autograph line will be longer than anyone else.

mtbr member
    And I'll be cheering for Roczen this year btw.
    And Reed.

Trail Gnome
    When Travis started out in Freestyle competition he was dominant and won everything. He pushed the sport so far single hand-idly. And while he was doing that he also won a mx and sx 125 championship. When he left freestyle competition it was never the same. It has gone downhill ever since. His double backfilp in 2006 in front of a sold out Staples Center was groundbreaking. Last year (or maybe the previous year) X-games best trick winner was a double backfilp with a nac-nac thrown in. In my opinion he also brought the popularity of extreme enduro races to the US. Before him and his crew went over to Erzberg to race and film, no one here even knew that was a sport. He has competed in Rally competition at the international level to varying degrees of success. Raced NASCAR, and sucked. And he if he showed up to the pits at a supercross race in 2019 I would bet money that his autograph line will be longer than anyone else.
    So youíre his biggest fan, how sweet

mtbr member
    I'm all in every year! Love both indoor and out!
    I hope A1 is not a mudder!
    I've been riding dirt bikes since the late 60s and still have 3 KTMs in my shop. Braap
    Some good rookies coming into the 450 class this year to mix it up.
    The cream always rises by the 3 or so race and then it's always down to 3-4 guys. The usuals will be there for sure. Lets hope for no more injuries! So bummed Osborne is out!
    There are no past champions in the 250 class this year so lets see who steps up.
    Braaap

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by dp400 View Post
    i'm all in every year! Love both indoor and out!
    I hope a1 is not a mudder!
    I've been riding dirt bikes since the late 60s and still have 3 ktms in my shop. Braap
    some good rookies coming into the 450 class this year to mix it up.
    The cream always rises by the 3 or so race and then it's always down to 3-4 guys. The usuals will be there for sure. Lets hope for no more injuries! So bummed osborne is out!
    There are no past champions in the 250 class this year so lets see who steps up.
    Braaap
    ac92

mtbr member
    Trust me, I am.

used to be RipRoar
    No love for RJ?

Rick Johnson was the Pastrana of his era (80's)...he did it ALL with class.

Like RB i'm not getting too excited about SX these days, I rather ride (MTB) myself and watch a few events. I prefer outdoor MX Nationals actually.

braaap

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    Sucks Zach got hurt. Good to finally have a solid rookie class in the 450s. I think Hill will be solid, but the main 4 (et, mm, ja, kr) are gonna be tough to beat.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Count me in as looking forward to the start of the Supercross season. I just want to see close racing the whole series but history says by the end many riders usually end up injured and out of the points so it can drag on a bit. As far as best action sports athlete ever Pastrana is hard to beat. One athlete I've always admired is Shawn Palmer, that guy killed it snowboarding, mtb, won skier crosss gold at x games and qualified for an outdoor national in mx, pretty impressive multi sport resume

mtbr member
    I can't watch supercross that much as it bores the crap out of me and I'm an enduro guy. Only a few laps and then I'm done, unless there is some actual excitement in the race. But, my neighbors always have SX parties and I like going to those.

tjp
    mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Cooper! The original scrubber. Probably the most fun I've ever had at a race is seeing Coop charge through the pack after getting taken out by Chicken, only to have a lapped rider crash in front of him while he was leading. Crowd was going crazy...

Also, no love for Magoo?? Look at the corner at 2:15 in this video. Or better yet, watch the whole thing.

I grew up with this poster of Magoo coming off his Maico on my wall.
    Name:  Magoo.jpg
Views: 469
Size:  9.1 KB

I love watching Tomac ride too, but I've never seen someone with as much pure speed as Stewart. God he was fun to watch when he was on. He did all the stuff I imagined was possible, and all of it was directed at going fast, not being simply stylish.

jrm
    mtbr member

I think Roczen is due...

"if" he can stay healthy. If that storm passes through here Saturday Morning it could hit So Cal once the gate drops and make for an interesting first round...

looks like its on NBCSports @ 7.

Oh and 24 hours of Daytona later this month..

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Death Cross, who will survive...

GMM
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottParsley View Post
    I'll have to read that ESPN article. I'm really looking at Roczen to be up front every round battling Tomac. He showed a lot of patience and maturity in outdoors. I'd also like to see Barcia get after it consistently. I'm a fan of his new attitude.
    +1 on Barcia's new attitude. Seems as though he has matured a lot in 3 years.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by tjp View Post
    I love watching Tomac ride too, but I've never seen someone with as much pure speed as Stewart. God he was fun to watch when he was on. He did all the stuff I imagined was possible, and all of it was directed at going fast, not being simply stylish.
    Stew will always be my favorite. It seriously took me a couple years to adjust to him not being on the gate. Nowadays I don't really have a favorite 450 rider. If I had to pick a guy it would be Malcolm. The only current rider who I want to see win really bad (like I did with Stew) is Adam Cianciarulo in the 250 class. Can't wait for tomorrow.

Trail Gnome
    Trust me, I am.
    Right on Ryan...Iím only teasing anyway. All of the pro caliber riders are awesome

mtbr member
    Mar 2016
    Shame Jeffery Herlings doesn't ride SuperCross.
    (https://www.cyclenews.com/2019/01/ar...frey-herlings/)

50% afternoon & 90% chance of rain in Anaheim tomorrow night. Could be some interesting racing.

Extreme enduro is my favorite moto racing to watch. I used to volunteer for Jimmy Lewis's King of the Motos in Johnson Valley.

OT: It's time for Supercross!-kom-sat-night-race-2017-x2.jpg

BRAAAP!

Catfish ...

Self Appointed Judge&Jury
    Quote Originally Posted by TraxFactory View Post
    No love for RJ?

Rick Johnson was the Pastrana of his era (80's)...he did it ALL with class.

Like RB i'm not getting too excited about SX these days, I rather ride (MTB) myself and watch a few events. I prefer outdoor MX Nationals actually.

braaap
    I rode with Ricky once after he retired at Palm Avenue San Diego. One of my riding buddies went to the same church he went to. I also met Marty Smith out on those trails. He used to hold a MX skills class out there. I sat right behind Roger Decoster at a San Diego Supercross event in the mid 90ís he was team manager for Suzuki. All these guys were very personable.

Like most Iíve lost interest in following the series years ago. Still love MX but Iíd rather watch outdoor events. More speed and less of the constant jumps and turns of indoor.
    Quote Originally Posted by mileslong View Post
    I passionately remove rocks and corners and other stuff I find too hard to ride.

used to be RipRoar
    Quote Originally Posted by DIRTJUNKIE View Post
    I rode with Ricky once after he retired at Palm Avenue San Diego.....
    I knew I liked you... Them was some fun Moto days!

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Loved moto since watching superbikers on Wide World of Sports back in the day.
    Best team of all time. 1986 Team Honda Rick Johnson, David Bailey, Johnny O'mara, Micky Dymond.
    GOAT: both 2 wheels and 4 = Jeff Ward

Please be mud tomorrow. Seperate the men from the boys. Anderson for the win.

Trail Gnome
    Quote Originally Posted by yz343 View Post
    Loved moto since watching superbikers on Wide World of Sports back in the day.
    Best team of all time. 1986 Team Honda Rick Johnson, David Bailey, Johnny O'mara, Micky Dymond.
    GOAT: both 2 wheels and 4 = Jeff Ward

Please be mud tomorrow. Seperate the men from the boys. Anderson for the win.
    Rain is in the forecast for tonight...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottParsley View Post
    Round one in Anaheim is this Saturday.
    Explains all the Honda/Fox jackets im seeing at Disneyland - would be fun to see while here.

mtbr member

Great race!!!
    Stoked to see promising speed by Deano and Stewart.
    Take off that #1 plate Anderson, that was embarrassing.

Never seen someone use double goggles before. That was a first!

mtbr member
    That was awesome.

mtbr member
    Oct 2018
    Yep, good promise for the season.

Lots of talent this year (again). Only 16 more necessary attempts to hold it all together.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Great race!!!
    Stoked to see promising speed by Deano and Stewart.
    Take off that #1 plate Anderson, that was embarrassing.

Been done a few times over the yrs. That was a first for my in Sx. Osbourne wore 2 at Indiana national a couple yrs ago. Anderson must of took a digger this wk. Someone on Vitalmx mentioned a tweaked wrist. Even puking and shitting his pants he would have done better. More to that story.

I missed the race so Iím not sure what exactly you are referring to but they donít use ďtear offsĒ anymore?
    I passionately remove rocks and corners and other stuff I find too hard to ride.

Professional Troll
    All below Pastrana.

mtbr member

Quote Originally Posted by DIRTJUNKIE View Post
    I missed the race so Iím not sure what exactly you are referring to but they donít use ďtear offsĒ anymore?
    He had one set of goggles with a stack of tear offs on it. Then took a second pair of goggles with more tear offs, and literally placed them on top of the first pair of goggles.

Iíve raced off-road moto for 14 years, and I have never even considered doing this, nor have Iíve seen anyone else do this.
    https://youtu.be/EkLT6p0EZSo

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    He had one set of goggles with a stack of tear offs on it. Then took a second pair of goggles with more tear offs, and literally placed them on top of the first pair of goggles.

Iíve raced off-road moto for 14 years, and I have never even considered doing this, nor have Iíve seen anyone else do this.
    Ferrarndis did it every time it was muddy last year. One set for the first lap then a fresh one for the rest. Some of the gp guys do it too.

Webb was full send last night!!

That is pretty amazing. Iíve seen a rider in an outdoor race yank his goggles off and have another one underneath. I didnít realize that both were stacked with tear offs as well. I can only imagine the sight hinderance that would create.

GMM
    mtbr member
    Great start to the season! After that race, lots of guys will feel like they have a shot in the series, and I think that will make for some particularly aggressive racing in the next few rounds. Really stoked to see Stewart and Dean Wilson performing so well. Plessinger and Webb are not going to sit by idly as rookies. Webb was flying at the end of that race.

Trail Gnome
    That was a great race, in tough conditions. It was nice to see Wilson getting some camera time...next time heíll make the podium I was kinda bummed to see Barcia take the win...his t-bone style passing isnít my favorite. Good riders can pass clean, sometimes you gotta do a little bumping though

mtbr member
    OT Bump. Can BamBam do it again this weekend?

Moderator Moderator
    Only if he layers 3 goggles.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Only if he layers 3 goggles.
    Funny they gave Savatgy credit for the double goggle thing, I remember Canard doing that during a few outdoors mudders...

3rd Coolest
    OT Bump. Can BamBam do it again this weekend?
    no...Dean Wilson will make the adjustment

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by langster831 View Post
    no...Dean Wilson will make the adjustment
    Hard to improve your fitness to compete at the elite level in 6 days.
    But I would love to see Deano get on the podium.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Now that he's on board with a CBD sponsor he won't get a factory ride. I'd like to see other's in that cash rich industry step up for him.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    I went out to Hollister Hills this afternoon to play in the mud. The only person I passed all day was Jason Anderson.

Roczen for the W Saturday.

mtbr member
    Hard to improve your fitness to compete at the elite level in 6 days.
    But I would love to see Deano get on the podium.
    I wouldn't bet on the Dean for the win but I also don't think fitness was the issue. It seems like the pressure got to him and he also tossed his goggles. Dry track, long rhythms, and big whoops that should hold up. I'd love to see him and Mookie back up front again. I'm looking at Barcia, Roczen, or Webb to get a start and battle it out. That rain at A1 wasn't awful and the track held up but it also wasn't ideal. We'll see what happens in Glendale. It should be a better indicator of how the field will sort itself out.

GMM
    mtbr member
    Tomac will be a lot more aggressive passing in dry conditions.

mtbr member
    Very unlikely that Bam Bam will repeat!
    Kenny looks like the next guy to take the W to me.
    Tomac and Anderson will probably be in the mix more and could take the win as long as they are not injured. Been lots of talk about both having injuries for weeks along with Marv.
    Webb is looking good early so it would be great if he gets in the mix every week. You give him some confidence and it will be on!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by dp400 View Post
    Very unlikely that Bam Bam will repeat!
    Kenny looks like the next guy to take the W to me.
    Tomac and Anderson will probably be in the mix more and could take the win as long as they are not injured. Been lots of talk about both having injuries for weeks along with Marv.
    Webb is looking good early so it would be great if he gets in the mix every week. You give him some confidence and it will be on!
    I think Barcia is probably the 3rd favorite in this championship after A1. Tomac and Roczen still being the top 2. I would not be surprised to see him get multiple wins throughout the season.

mtbr member
    I think Barcia is probably the 3rd favorite in this championship after A1. Tomac and Roczen still being the top 2. I would not be surprised to see him get multiple wins throughout the season.
    I was pumped to see Justin get the win but I don't think he will win back to back and take the win this weekend. He is the real deal and will be up there all year.

mtbr member
    I haven't followed supercross for some time. Last time I was following SC, Bam Bam won the 250 championship which was years ago. Thought he was past prime currently so cool to see him take the win... Congrats Justin!

3rd Coolest
    Looks like a chance of rain in the forecast for Glendale. Any word on if there will be a natural soil start or if they're starting on those grates again? Is that new or have I just missed that all this time?

mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    Looks like a chance of rain in the forecast for Glendale. Any word on if there will be a natural soil start or if they're starting on those grates again? Is that new or have I just missed that all this time?

-They'll be on the grates & the stadium has a roof.

ET3 FTW!!!
    "There's two kinds of people in this world - Walkers and Talkers." Which one are you?

mtbr member
    It was be the metal starting gates at all rounds just like last year. Mixed feedback from the riders in the past.

I donít think it matters much either way. Good starters will get good starts no matter what. Mike Alessi proved that gate pick was not too important, as he could get the holeshot from anywhere.

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    Early predictions....Tomac wins, Roczen 2nd, Webb 3rd, Barcia falls to 8th. Webb is the kinda unknown, he was 20th after first lap last week due to first turn crash, battled back to 5th. Also, Anderson bounces back to a top 5. Hope for zero injuries!

Trail Gnome
    Well, I just watched the 450 main...it looks like itís going to be an interesting season...lots of title contenders

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by GMM View Post
    Tomac will be a lot more aggressive passing in dry conditions.
    Tough track to be aggressive on. Heard he wore out his tires.

mtbr member
    I'm sad about Malcolm Stewart's broken leg. Those whoops were concrete and never broke down. Watching him go through them was bananas. I guess he found the limit though. As soon as it happened the thought that the Supercross series just got about 75% less exciting for me as a fan was heartbreaking. Not rational, I know. Later, when Baggett passed Anderson on the outside with raw speed and pure racecraft, I saw a glimpse of "El Chupacabra". This could still be a very fun series to watch.

Also, AC92 completely demoralized the 250 field. Just crushed them. Can't wait for the Tripple Crown this weekend. I'd like to see Adam win all three.

3rd Coolest
    Heading back to Anaheim and the weather looks like it couldn't be better. Stewarts out, Anderson is looking to be on form, Bagget could bring some momentum from Glendale, Roczen leading the Championship and looking to stay in the lead. Should be some good action. I'd like to see something out of Dean Wilson, I think my gf has a crush on Tomac, and I think we're all expecting Cianciarulo to dominate the 250 class.