Spin-stabilized

OT-ish: well now I'm glad bikes aren't allowed in NPs

Anybody else heard of this guy?
    Well, as a guy that regularly goes solo in sketchy areas at sketchy times of the day (tons of solo night rides, lots of solo exploratory rides, solo rides in the backcountry that extend past sunset, and many more), this caught my attention.

Seriously though, has anyone heard of anybody going missing in the wilds under mysterious circumstances? I've heard of a family member's and friends' accounts (firsthand and second-hand) of paranormal/metaphysical incidents and experiences. I've even seen, along with at least 4 other friends, what we can only describe as a UFO (it was unidentified, flying and it appeared to be an object - an incident that I also shared a long time ago on an obscure mtbr thread about creepy experiences) but to this day, I remain highly skeptical of anything metaphysical. I've also never heard of anyone mysteriously disappearing.
    On my solo missions, the top things I worry about are regular things like falling and getting incapacitated, rattlesnakes, two-legged predators and maybe mt lions/bears. I watched these videos and got legit creeped out after thinking back to times when I've gone solo in new territory in the deep woods (exploring in the wilderness in Sooke on Vancouver Island comes to mind).
    Apologies in advance if this hampers the spirit of solo adventuring for anyone. I think I'll try harder to find a buddy when out in the boonies.

https://youtu.be/4rIpbPDbH0E

https://youtu.be/349rU36KhXg

Sent from my VS986 using Tapatalk
    Hey man, wanna go for a klunk?

Spin-stabilized
    The FOIA stuff is super odd. I guess the NPS does not want to scare people away? Still does not make sense.

https://youtu.be/aYb41-xhDgo

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Smoking pot will always get you lost in the woods. Just say no.

Up In Smoke
    Quote Originally Posted by leaguerider View Post
    Smoking pot will always get you lost in the woods. Just say no.
    I thought that was the objective.

NRP
    mtbr member
    Sep 2015
    I don't know. There are dangers for sure in the back country, but I always feel safer there than in some neighborhoods in cities. My very limited experience with wild animals is they generally want nothing to do with you and avoid you at all costs. Can't say the same for idiot humans in crowds or in cars.

Old,slow,still havin fun.
    I LOVE the Missing411/Paulides stuff...as fun ghost stories.

His "findings" have been shredded by people with command of statistics and data science, and without books to sell.

But they do make fun stories.

Spin-stabilized
    Quote Originally Posted by fgiraffe View Post
    I LOVE the Missing411/Paulides stuff...as fun ghost stories.

His "findings" have been shredded by people with command of statistics and data science, and without books to sell.

But they do make fun stories.
    For sure! The creepy factor is high. Down the rabbit hole I go looking for other outdoor-related mysteries.

I haven't delved into Paulides' stuff that deeply yet and was looking for what SAR people thought of all this. I didn't know that he actually has findings. I thought he was just chronicling and compiling these incidents.

Elitest thrill junkie
    They found the skull of a guy a few days ago in the woods here that had been missing since last year:

https://www.ktuu.com/content/news/Vi...504812751.html
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

Oaktown Honkey on Strava
    Sep 2010
    Bailout, Really? This is such a crazy side of you! Next time we ride at night I am so ditching you! Hahahaha. This is awesome.

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    I knew a guy; he was a good friend's roommate in SF in the Sunset. I knew his brother too.

Back in the late 90s - early 2000s, he goes on a camping trip in Yosemite with a group of friends. He walked away from that campsite and was never seen again. His gear was still at the campsite.

No remains were ever found (to my knowledge). His family had a funeral, I believe.
    Live to Ride, Ride to Live

Spin-stabilized
    Quote Originally Posted by hoolie View Post
    Bailout, Really? This is such a crazy side of you! Next time we ride at night I am so ditching you! Hahahaha. This is awesome.
    Dude, sunrise and mostly sunset rides were my staples the 10 years I lived in Santa Cruz County, you know, dad life. I even had a private stash of singletrack on the ridges east of Big Basin, a few blocks from my house, that I'd ride at night after all the chores on an otherwise no-ride weekend. I called it the DMZ because no one ever rode it except for me.

Spin-stabilized
    Quote Originally Posted by Brah View Post
    I knew a guy; he was a good friend's roommate in SF in the Sunset. I knew his brother too.

Back in the late 90s - early 2000s, he goes on a camping trip in Yosemite with a group of friends. He walked away from that campsite and was never seen again. His gear was still at the campsite.

No remains were ever found (to my knowledge). His family had a funeral, I believe.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bailout View Post
    ... because no one ever rode it except for me.
    Are you sure about that? Back in 94 I used to ride some trails that I accessed from the end of Spring Creek Rd. I wound up above the BC golf course a few times. I never saw anybody else out there.

Spin-stabilized
    Quote Originally Posted by TheMachinist View Post
    Are you sure about that? Back in 94 I used to ride some trails that I accessed from the end of Spring Creek Rd. I wound up above the BC golf course a few times. I never saw anybody else out there.
    I'm about one ridge over to the east. Accessed those trails via wildrose terrace. They seemed to be old hiking/horse trails. The 6 years I was riding them, I never saw any other tracks but mine.

Dropshot Champ!
    You guys just binge watched Murder Mountain and now you're all paranoid!

I'm really diggin it!
    I rode in Pt Reyes solo 3 plus nights a week for years. Never saw anyone or anything strange

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Spin-stabilized
    Quote Originally Posted by TheMachinist View Post
    I just checked the map, we were probably talking about the same trails! They connected to camp campbell which was how I would come back. I took wildrose on the way in via a hidden entrance over the guardrail because it was more discreet. I've. Never gone down towards the golf course as I went north towards Waterman Gap on the fireroad on top of the ridge. There's a maze of overgrown trails dropping down towards the neighborhood surrounding spring creek rd. I found steel cables strung across a trail there. Looked like people did not want motos using them once upon a time. I stuck to the north side of that drainage.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bailout View Post
    I just checked the map, we were probably talking about the same trails! They connected to camp campbell which was how I would come back. I took wildrose on the way in via a hidden entrance over the guardrail because it was more discreet. I've. Never gone down towards the golf course as I went north towards Waterman Gap on the fireroad on top of the ridge. There's a maze of overgrown trails dropping down towards the neighborhood surrounding spring creek rd. I found steel cables strung across a trail there. Looked like people did not want motos using them once upon a time. I stuck to the north side of that drainage.

Yep. Same network of trails. I haven't been out there in almost 25 years. I ended up at Camp Campbell one time. The people who lived at the end of Spring Creek gave me permission to ride through their property, but they warned me that some of the trails went through properties with cranky owners. Most of the ridge area was considered open territory at one point in time. The landowners gradually got less tolerant of bike and moto traffic.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    My pops coordinated Search and Rescue in the North Tahoe area for years. Your biggest enemies are weather (always have a plan for "what if I HAD to spend the night out here"), getting lost and not providing anyone with a general plan ("Im going towards area X and plan to be back by Y"). The worst situation is to become lost or injured and think, "no one knows Im out here".