OT: Intermittent Fasting- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Apr 2017

OT: Intermittent Fasting

I've been intermittent fasting with my wife since Mid March. We eat normally on weekends because of social pressure but during the workweek we only eat dinner. No breakfast or lunch. It's fantastic, I've lost 15 pounds so far.

So on weekends when I'd leave in the morning to ride I'd bring a few powerbars with me and skip breakfast. I'm able to do 20 miles of MTBing without any issues. Drink tons of water and have the power bars with me in case I get deleriously hungry. But so far I'm totally fine and don't need to eat anything. I think if I had the whole day or weekend to myself I could probably do 50 miles fasted.

Why would I want to do this? Initially it was just an exercise in discipline but fasting actually makes me feel really sharp and focused. Skipping lunch is such a great time saver at work. And when I eat dinner I can pretty much eat whatever but I try not to go crazy. Also I never really get hungry anymore. I mean I do get hungry but it's not hands shaking "OMG I'm going to die if I don't eat something soon" hungry. Has made life so much easier. Can just roll out of bed and go.

And I don't poop as much. About 1x a day as opposed to 3x a day. Not a big deal but another couple minutes saved.

Anyways just curious if anyone else had tried fasting? Most of you guys are probably already at peak performance so you probably don't need to diet much. But if you want to lose a few pounds and feel super sharp and efficient perhaps try fasting. Easiest diet method I've ever tried.

Up In Smoke
    This is pretty much my natural eating cycle throughout the week, I don't eat much except a big dinner. But I always need to have something in my stomach if I'm riding. Riding on an empty stomach almost always guarantees a migraine for me.

Nobody
    I'm down to try this. I can't ride due to injury, so worth a shot for a month to see what happens. Are you off the booze, completely or drinking on the weekends?
    Hunt Hard, Kill Swiftly, Waste Nothing, Offer No Apologies...

fc
    head minion Administrator
    My best bud, Mark59 is on it and swears by it. We rode Pinecrest and he ate a couple figs and kicked our ass all day. I think he's 56 years old. Personal Trainer by trade so he knows his stuff.
    Last edited by fc; 1 Week Ago at 11:40 AM.
    IPA will save America

mtbr member
    Jul 2018
    Did you start by following a specific regimen or did you work out a method by trial and error?

Trail Gnome
    Quote Originally Posted by Phantastic79 View Post
    I've been intermittent fasting with my wife since Mid March. We eat normally on weekends because of social pressure but during the workweek we only eat dinner. No breakfast or lunch. It's fantastic, I've lost 15 pounds so far.

So on weekends when I'd leave in the morning to ride I'd bring a few powerbars with me and skip breakfast. I'm able to do 20 miles of MTBing without any issues. Drink tons of water and have the power bars with me in case I get deleriously hungry. But so far I'm totally fine and don't need to eat anything. I think if I had the whole day or weekend to myself I could probably do 50 miles fasted.

Why would I want to do this? Initially it was just an exercise in discipline but fasting actually makes me feel really sharp and focused. Skipping lunch is such a great time saver at work. And when I eat dinner I can pretty much eat whatever but I try not to go crazy. Also I never really get hungry anymore. I mean I do get hungry but it's not hands shaking "OMG I'm going to die if I don't eat something soon" hungry. Has made life so much easier. Can just roll out of bed and go.

And I don't poop as much. About 1x a day as opposed to 3x a day. Not a big deal but another couple minutes saved.

Anyways just curious if anyone else had tried fasting? Most of you guys are probably already at peak performance so you probably don't need to diet much. But if you want to lose a few pounds and feel super sharp and efficient perhaps try fasting. Easiest diet method I've ever tried.
    If your taking 3 dumps a day, I would think that yer eating way too much...or you have food poisoning. I usually take a crap about every three days...Iím skinny and drink a lot of beer

mtbr member
    Apr 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by Shamis View Post
    I'm down to try this. I can't ride due to injury, so worth a shot for a month to see what happens. Are you off the booze, completely or drinking on the weekends?
    I drink like a sailor on the weekends. I do take it easy as I don't like to take 3 shots of Jamison on an empty stomach.

mtbr member
    Apr 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by notsendy View Post
    Did you start by following a specific regimen or did you work out a method by trial and error?
    No specific regime. I started because my coworker fasts on Thursdays for religious reasons. I thought it was interesting and was curious if I could do it. I used to barely go 30minutes without eating/drinking something. So I started slow. Pushed lunch out from 1130 to 2PM then 3 pm then skipped lunch altogether. Felt great so tried a 24 hour fast and then a 72 hour fast and then a 96 hour fast. All a few weeks apart.

The IF thing started because my wife wanted to fast with me buy wasn't sure if she could go a full day+

So far we have been feeling incredible. Saving money is kind of a bonus but the time savings and not ever being super hungry is the best part.

Note:. Even though I fast I still drink black coffee. It's been instilled into my daily routine and I've kept the habit.

mtbr member
    Apr 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by griz View Post
    If your taking 3 dumps a day, I would think that yer eating way too much...or you have food poisoning. I usually take a crap about every three days...Iím skinny and drink a lot of beer
    Oh I was definitely eating too much food. I think I could have held it and got down to 2 craps a day. But playing with my phone on the crapper has become routine.

I don't understand how you could only crap every 3 days and be eating normally. That's seems very odd to me. Even worth 1 meal a day I still take 1 crap a day. Sometimes I can skip a day if I eat a light dinner.

Also:. My wore has been doing superfood Thursdays because the farmers market comes to her work. She been making these crazy dandelion kale salads. They taste terrible at first but after a few bites the dandelions taste good. It's weird. And yes these are the same dandelions that grow as weeds on your lawn. I didn't even know they were edible.

mtbr member
    lost you after the word "powerbar"

nobody eats those anymore!

orthonormal
    Kind of moving in the opposite direction, I recently started using Tailwind Nutrition Endurance Fuel during my rides instead of plain water. It's a huge help on anything over two hours and I actually dropped 30 minutes off my time on a loop that normally takes me 3.5 hours.
    The glass is twice as large as it needs to be

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Yep, I'm on it, was doing 16hrs off/ 6 hrs on now I'm 20hrs off/4hrs on and I feel fantastic. First couple of weeks were hard, but now I don't get hungry. I'm in the best shape of my life, down 45lbs since September.

Moderator Moderator
    Oh I was definitely eating too much food. I think I could have held it and got down to 2 craps a day. But playing with my phone on the crapper has become routine.

I don't understand how you could only crap every 3 days and be eating normally. That's seems very odd to me. Even worth 1 meal a day I still take 1 crap a day. Sometimes I can skip a day if I eat a light dinner.

Also:. My wore has been doing superfood Thursdays because the farmers market comes to her work. She been making these crazy dandelion kale salads. They taste terrible at first but after a few bites the dandelions taste good. It's weird. And yes these are the same dandelions that grow as weeds on your lawn. I didn't even know they were edible.
    Do we need a meals and craps per day poll?

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by 5k bike 50cent legs View Post
    Yeah, we can add a third variable to keep it MTB related, meals, craps per day and tire pressure /s

mtbr member
    Apr 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by redmr2_man View Post
    lost you after the word "powerbar"

nobody eats those anymore!
    Hahaha.....you're right. It was some Kind of Costco nut bar. I think of all of them as powerbars but they are all way more edible than an actual powerbar.

mtbr member
    Apr 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by ssalinas View Post
    Yep, I'm on it, was doing 16hrs off/ 6 hrs on now I'm 20hrs off/4hrs on and I feel fantastic. First couple of weeks were hard, but now I don't get hungry. I'm in the best shape of my life, down 45lbs since September.
    Nice. 45lbs is very a lot. Great job.

Trail Gnome
    Sorry, but I couldnít resist on modifying my daily crapper schedule, for your thread...Iím a ďdaily doodooĒ kinda guy

mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    ^ That sounds like you're crap-backtracking. Backcrapping?!

As for me, I fast every night, then I break fast.
    Ride fast. Huck bravely. Waste no beer. Safety third.

Moderator Moderator
    Crapping every three days would wreak havoc on my sag settings.

mtbr member
    Crapping every three days would wreak havoc on my sag settings.
    Just to be clear you're talking about this type of sag?

Name:  photo-7.jpg
Views: 478
Size:  39.1 KB

mtbr member
    OP has to change handle to either Phastastic79 or Craptastic79

mtbr member
    Sep 2015

what's a typical Dinner? EVERYTHING? seriously, what would you eat for dinner.

for one thing, you save a lot of money. and doing dishes.
    Santa Cruz 5010 C
    Surly Crosscheck.

mtbr member
    Seriously though, you are about the 9th or 10th person that says they feel more energetic and sharp with this diet - I wonder what it is that causes this b/c you'd think it would be the opposite?

Others have said it takes a couple weeks for things to come together and at first it sorta sucks, but it sounds like it's been pretty easy for you?

sbd
    mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    I have also been moving this direction. Love it, feel great, and riding better than I have in some time.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    My brother has been doing this for a few years now. Growing up he was always the chubby one and I was in shape. As we've gotten older and hes been fasting, he's down to 10% body fat and I'm no where near that.

Up In Smoke
    This is basically part of the Wim Hof method.

Moderator Moderator

OT: Intermittent Fasting

Quote Originally Posted by skyno View Post
    Just to be clear you're talking about this type of sag?
    Thatís it! I do wonder how many people type on Tapatalk while taking a dump. I never do that, I swear!

Moderator Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Train Wreck View Post
    This is basically part of the Wim Hof method.
    Wim Hof is the real deal.

NRP
    mtbr member
    Sep 2015
    Griz needs more fiber.

mtbr member
    Fasting is legit. I use the ďzero appĒ as a helper to time fasts and make sure Iím approximately meeting my goal each day. Learning to ride fasted sucks a bit at first, but my overall endurance has improved greatly since acclimated to fasted training. Would highly recommend.

mtbr member
    Jan 2019
    Yes, and we can correlate it with miles ridden/ number of turds.
    All kinds of possibilities there. For one, how many miles per BM?

mtbr member
    Sep 2018
    I'm nowhere near a physical specimen, but I've done a version of this for awhile now. I don't really do this with the intention of losing weight...it's just something I do because it's flat out easier for me to go about my day.

I've never been a big coffee guy. That probably helps a bit. About five or ten years ago I read some stuff about how drinking a large glass of water then going straight to the gym (without eating breakfast) can help get the metabolic process moving. I'm sure there's some pseudoscience in there somewhere, but these days it's pretty easy for me to just wake up and get ready and head out the door. This allows me to get shopping/chores started pretty early in the day, which usually means I can get more accomplished (or be done earlier in the day).

In my experience, the positives mentioned above are mostly true. The biggest benefit I've found is that my energy level and focus are both awesome. And if I do get hungry midday I usually opt for a Clif bar or Soylent shake to hold me over until I do eat food. But if I know that I have a lot of stuff that I need to accomplish on a weekend day I'll just wake up and knock it out before I sit down to eat a full meal.

What I like the most about this is that you can pick and choose which benefits you'd like to take advantage of. Obviously, if you're looking to lose weight then you'll want to focus more on the fasting part, but if you're like me and you're looking to wake up and get a bunch of stuff done before lunch then this works for that, too.

Also, please be careful if you decide to start riding without food in your system.

sbd
    mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Be like Tommy

Cuss when you ride, occasionally enjoy go juice and eat OMAD

https://youtu.be/JbHmmeImLvs

Nobody
    Quote Originally Posted by sbd View Post
    Be like Tommy

Cuss when you ride, occasionally enjoy go juice and eat OMAD

https://youtu.be/JbHmmeImLvs

Damn! I'm a big ass dude and there is no way I could eat that much in one meal. Impressive. I wonder how long it takes him to eat all of that?
    Hunt Hard, Kill Swiftly, Waste Nothing, Offer No Apologies...

M8 M12 M15 deez nuts
    I intermittently fast between my meals and beer breaks. Works great!
    Donít frail and blow if youíre going to Braille and Flow.

mtbr member
    Apr 2017
    Seriously though, you are about the 9th or 10th person that says they feel more energetic and sharp with this diet - I wonder what it is that causes this b/c you'd think it would be the opposite?

Others have said it takes a couple weeks for things to come together and at first it sorta sucks, but it sounds like it's been pretty easy for you?
    Honestly it's the easiest diet I've ever done. Dediciding what I can and cannot eat is a PIA. I'm not eating anything is waaaay easier to manage.

And yes it's counterintuitive but everyone I've talked to about fasting says the same thing. You have more energy. Some people have difficulty getting over the first hurdle. First 24/48 hours or whatever but after that you feel awesome. Obviously your milage may vary but I'd say try it and see how you like it. You won't die.

mtbr member
    Apr 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by Boomchakabowwow View Post
    what's a typical Dinner? EVERYTHING? seriously, what would you eat for dinner.

for one thing, you save a lot of money. and doing dishes.
    A regular dinner. Like steak and veggies or lasagna, or Sushi, or Chinese hotpot. I eat a normal dinner like I always do. I do have to be careful. If I start to eat chips I can probably eat the whole bag same goes with Candy. So I try to stay away from snacks and eat real food first. I can still have dessert too. Ice cream or a piece of pie no problem. But honestly I've totally binged at the buffet periodically on my one meal a day and it doesn't affect weight much. Except it does make me super tired.

Actually I can feel my body getting tired after I do have a meal. Also when I work out fasted I feel slightly weaker. Maybe 10-15%.

MK_
    carpe maŮana
    Interesting thread. I picked up a stomach but this past weekend and hardly ate a thing for two days. I was kind of blown away at my lack of hunger on day 3. I still don't really have that hungry feeling at my regular times. I'm really digging it; no hanger neither. I may have to do a periodic fast. Not sure about eating dinner only every day, seems extreme.

_MK

Before you diagnose yourself with depression or low self-esteem, first make sure that you are not just surrounded by a*holes

mtbr member
    yes it's counterintuitive but everyone I've talked to about fasting says the same thing. You have more energy.
    I think it makes sense that you'd have more energy with intermittent fasting. If food is scarce, your body should be amped up and mentally sharp so that you can find the available food and beat your competitors to it.

Of course, if food is unavailable for too long, you will eventually run out of energy stores (fat and glycogen in your body), and would probably feel pretty terrible and sluggish. But with intermittent fasting, you are still meeting your daily (or weekly) caloric needs, so the body has no need to adapt and slow down the basal metabolic rate.

mtbr member
    Apr 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by Sid Duffman View Post
    I think it makes sense that you'd have more energy with intermittent fasting. If food is scarce, your body should be amped up and mentally sharp so that you can find the available food and beat your competitors to it.

Of course, if food is unavailable for too long, you will eventually run out of energy stores (fat and glycogen in your body), and would probably feel pretty terrible and sluggish. But with intermittent fasting, you are still meeting your daily (or weekly) caloric needs, so the body has no need to adapt and slow down the basal metabolic rate.
    I'm guessing that we get more energy when fasted because your body does not have to waste energy digesting food. Which I think takes considerable resources to create stomach acid, enzymes and whatever other chemicals needed break down food and absorb it.

I can actually feel my body getting tired when I eat a lot on weekends.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Great thread, I am at hour 23 of my 24 hour fast. It hasnít been bad at all. Can you guys keep from binging after a fast?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Apr 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by MTBMILES View Post
    Great thread, I am at hour 23 of my 24 hour fast. It hasnít been bad at all. Can you guys keep from binging after a fast?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Yep. That's the hardest part. Don't go crazy and eat everything. Resist! You can do it! If possible try to have a green smoothie or some other super food when you break your fast. Don't go for the triple bypass burger.

Note: I never lost weight on my extended fasts. I think your body goes into conservation mode. Intermittent Fasting is where I really started to lose weight.

mtbr member
    The fasting is interesting. Food is like a drug that can have withdrawal symptoms. So, the more you eat, the more cravings. Sugar and carbs having the worst withdraw symptoms. I'm not on a diet or looking to lose weight (pretty lean 135 lbs right now), but eat small portions throughout the day. No really big meals.

mtbr member
    Mar 2019
    Iím about ready to try this. Iím going to start with the 16/8 method first. Move to the 20/4 then to 23/1. My biggest fear is bonking on a MTB ride. I always have a recovery drink after my ride that I donít want to give up. This goes against everything we have learned the past 10 years of many small meals through out the day. Should be interesting

mtbr member
    Apr 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by Vin829 View Post
    Iím about ready to try this. Iím going to start with the 16/8 method first. Move to the 20/4 then to 23/1. My biggest fear is bonking on a MTB ride. I always have a recovery drink after my ride that I donít want to give up. This goes against everything we have learned the past 10 years of many small meals through out the day. Should be interesting
    yes this completely goes against what we learned in the past about multiple small meals all day. I can guarantee you that you can easily do a bike ride fasted. If you worried about it just bring some snacks with you just in case you hit the wall. I always drink a lot of water when I'm biking and fasting though, I think if you are fasting and didn't drink water you might die when going on a bike ride a hot day.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    On day 3, started with 16/8, has actually gone pretty well. Felt a little weird the first two days after having the first meal around 11 am, but now its seems really easy and I'm not so food obsessed. I haven't tried a long ride yet, short rides have been fine.

mtbr member
    Mar 2019
    The feeling of more alertness/mental clarity is a product of your body using ketones for energy, instead of glucose. Interesting there are more mountain bikers who are willing to do intermittent fasting, since most endurance sport athletes would never consider it. There are so many health benefits to this. If anyone is interested here is a pretty good video with some researchers in this field of study. https://www.foundmyfitness.com/episodes/satchin-panda