fc
    head minion Administrator

OT: Harry's Hofbrau closing

A little OT but this is a local institution and it will be gone soon.

We've had a few sessions there since they've had amazing beer. The son got into craft beer and really upped the game, starting with Pliny.

Heard it's been around 40 years and there used to be a lot more.

https://www.sfgate.com/insidescoop/a...e-13517908.php

OT: Harry's Hofbrau closing-harrys-hofbrau-1-sign.jpg

OT: Harry's Hofbrau closing-20121108_203709.jpg
    IPA will save America

Hella Olde
    Another casualty of the American Hofbrau's inexorable march to extinction. I don't mean to make light of this particular business closure, but who will save the Hofbrau......who, pray tell?

Nobody
    This is really sad, but I have been expecting to hear this for the last couple years since everything seems to be getting stripped and rebuilt.

I've been going to Harry's for 35 years. I fist started in the Mt. View location (long gone) as a child and after my parents divorced, my mom and I moved to West San Jose, less that a mile from this San Jose Harry's. I'm glad I ate there over the Christmas Holiday because I don't know if I'll make it today. Based on the article, today is the last day of service.

What a shame... Always had a corned beef sandwich on Sour Roll with a salad and stuffing with turkey gravy.

It will be missed!
    Hunt Hard, Kill Swiftly, Waste Nothing, Offer No Apologies...

mtbr member
    You want real German beer? Like the real deal, none of this imported Bavarian BS?
    Radhaus in Fort Mason in SF. Get the Rothaus TanenZaepfle Pils. I might have cried when I saw it on the list.

https://sf.eater.com/2018/8/1/176403...ing-biergarten

Hella Olde
    Quote Originally Posted by paintballeerXC View Post
    You want real German beer? Like the real deal, none of this imported Bavarian BS?
    Radhaus in Fort Mason in SF. Get the Rothaus TanenZaepfle Pils. I might have cried when I saw it on the list.

https://sf.eater.com/2018/8/1/176403...ing-biergarten
    That place is interesting - my friend has a studio at the SF Art Institute out at Ft Mason

mtbr member
    Heard about this yesterday. Was talking to the wife about going but a friend said it was real busy. Don't see myself making it by tomorrow.

We used to live on saratoga just on the other side of 280. Harry's was the spot when we were too lazy to cook

middle ring single track
    I had my first Pliny the Younger there.
    Content here does not officially represent the CA DPR.

Windows 10, destroying humanity one upgrade at a time.

mtbr member
    NorCal Forum aka Bay Area. Need a NorEastCal Forum.

mtbr member
    Sep 2018
    I stopped by there on my way home this evening...was hoping to have a final pint there with a friend. Pulled in the parking lot and the line was out the door and the parking lot was totally full. Turned around and headed home. Oh well.

Thankfully, I work a few miles from the Redwood City location.

Based on my previous conversations with bartenders there, the entire area will be leveled and turned into a Santana Row type of place. The agreement was supposedly that Harry's Hofbrau would get a location in the new development, but perhaps that won't be happening after all.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by paintballeerXC View Post
    You can get it even closer right down the road at Gourmet Haus Staudt, bar is in the back...

fc
    head minion Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by Arctic Pride View Post
    You can get it even closer right down the road at Gourmet Haus Staudt, bar is in the back...
    I used to go there a bit! Redwood City daze!!
    IPA will save America

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    I was only inside there once - when I was looking for poker at Garden City and walked into Harry's Hofbrau by mistake. I shoulda found another reason to go back. Maybe I can check out the RWC location.

mtbr member
    I don't mean to be a dork, and maybe because beer is not my go to beverage, but I've gone thorugh the San Leandro location twice.. I really tried to be open-minded about the food but it really reminds me of what they serve old folks (you know, no fat, little salt, no flavor). Is it just me?

mtbr member
    Sep 2018
    Oh, most of their food is not that good at all. Their thanksgiving food is pretty good, though.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by sa12 View Post
    Oh, most of their food is not that good at all. Their thanksgiving food is pretty good, though.
    Agree RE the food being less than great. But the beer selection was OTH. And after a couple good beers, the food tasted better...

Thread Killa
    Nov 2012
    RIP Open Faced Turkey and good beer. This was my favorite spot when I lived in the South Bay, had my graduation dinner there and I will miss it sincerely. Buddy sent me this picture OT: Harry's Hofbrau closing-20190107_153217001.jpg

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by DH40 View Post
    That place is interesting - my friend has a studio at the SF Art Institute out at Ft Mason
    They do have great beer there, and very cool digs. But 25 bucks for a Bratwurst is pricey, even for SF! http://radhaussf.com/gfx/radhaus_menu_12162018.pdf

I'll take $6 Bavarian brat at Gestalt house.

mtbr member
    Sep 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by Gregd72 View Post
    Agree RE the food being less than great. But the beer selection was OTH. And after a couple good beers, the food tasted better...
    Yes, very true. Over time I learned that the correct answer was to walk across the street to Iguana's and get a burrito and eat it on the walk back...

Formerly dvo
    I disagree about the food but to be fair I am over 50 and grew up in Nebraska. Reminds me of home cooking, I don't want to eat that way every day but every now and again. Oh well all progress is good progress right?
    I'm the problem....

Nobody
    I also disagree about the food. It was a cafeteria style place and while it was not gourmet, it was not flavorless. I did not explore a lot of the options there as I had my favorites, but the one thing that impressed me was that the food and atmosphere never changed.

My corned beef sandwich and stuffing was always the same. It did get pretty pricey towards the end if you were just picking things al a carte, but I was ok with that.
    Hunt Hard, Kill Swiftly, Waste Nothing, Offer No Apologies...