Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    fc
    head minion Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by 5k bike 50cent legs View Post
    It's way underpriced.
    absoloooootly. It's like the wonka golden ticket really.
    IPA will save America

Moderator Moderator
    OT: College Admissions Craziness-screen-shot-2018-10-25-9.00.23-pm.jpg

Axe
    Custom User Title
    Quote Originally Posted by fc View Post
    Stanford undergrad is not a good value. Damn. I've heard it all now.
    It is the last school on your resume that counts most and if one goes for MS or PhD any top something school would be about as good for admission to grad program if one got grades and recommendations.
    If BS is your top degree, sure, reputation alone is worth a lot.

Formerly of Kent
    Quote Originally Posted by Axe View Post
    Go Cardinal.

I am glad they did pay me to attend, that is for sure. I would not recommend undergrad there though.
    This needs to be emphasized.

If you are paying for grad school (other than law school), you probably shouldn’t be there. The school should see your value and pay you to attend.

Just my opinion, of course.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Death from Below.

Formerly of Kent
    My sister was/is a rare bird. Moved from better weather to worse, and then still worse. Got her BA from UCSC, then PhD, MA and MS from Cornell. Then moved to Portland to work in various university settings.

Having lived in Hood River for two years and venturing into the city occasionally during the winter... No thank you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Death from Below.

mtbr member
    It's way underpriced.

Attachment 1222330
    45K for tuition is pretty normal compared to their peers.
    On MTBR, the reputation is infamous.

Moderator Moderator

OT: College Admissions Craziness

Quote Originally Posted by Vespasianus View Post
    45K for tuition is pretty normal compared to their peers.
    The real cost is about 80k a year. There are about 15-20 colleges in the US that are worth these prices long term. The issue is there are many colleges that charge Ivy prices with no real benefit other than taking classes. The college inflation game is a national travesty.

Cycologist
    Quote Originally Posted by abcdefg View Post
    Glad it worked out for you. Pullman seems like a great college town.

Anecdotally, I would say the kids in Washington are much more similar to kids in California than California kids are to New Englanders. More socially conservative/introverted, as well as politically conservative in many cases. While I was there were definitely a few cliques that formed that had high correlation to where people grew up. That could be for any number of reasons but the social structures amongst them were undeniably different.

I feel like I'm articulating this concept poorly but the point is there is more thats different about the east coast than just the weather.
    And heaven forbid kids be exposed to different thoughts and ideas; we wouldn't want that to happen.
    Quote Originally Posted by Oh My Sack! View Post
    Remember, there's always quilting and knitting if pedalling becomes too tough.

Moderator Moderator
    Early admissions decisions are coming in. A friend's kid just got into an Ivy, another is waiting to hear from Stanford. Lots of anxious parents and kids.

fc
    Early admissions decisions are coming in. A friend's kid just got into an Ivy, another is waiting to hear from Stanford. Lots of anxious parents and kids.
    Stanford is way harder than Ivy. Duh.

You have college bound kid?

I have a junior in high school. SAT time for ms smartypants.
    IPA will save America

Moderator Moderator
    Stanford is way harder than Ivy. Duh.

You have college bound kid?

I have a junior in high school. SAT time for ms smartypants.
    My son is a junior at Paly. He did the SAT a month or so ago.

Just heard one of our friend's kids got into the big S.

If you want big time cache and can afford it, an overlooked school that is easier to get into than many American schools is Oxford.

Moderator Moderator
    The things college can't teach. My personal hero, Jim Pattison.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/featu...n-pickup-truck

mtbr member
    My son is a junior at Paly. He did the SAT a month or so ago.

Just heard one of our friend's kids got into the big S.

If you want big time cache and can afford it, an overlooked school that is easier to get into than many American schools is Oxford.
    What are the success rates there?

mtbr member
    The great irony of today would be to have two concurring payments... your own student loans and the college savings plans for one's kids.
    no shit... just read an article that stated college tuition has inflated 800% since the 1950's.
    Denver, CO

Moderator Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Vespasianus View Post
    What are the success rates there?
    I'm not sure. I would assume fairly good as there are lots of good students at Paly. My son told me a kid in one of his classes just got into Yale and another who was on the XC team got into MIT. So anecdotally, some big name colleges are represented.

Here's a map they put out last year.

https://thecampanile.org/2018/05/20/...ly-plans-2018/

Moderator Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Streetdoctor View Post
    no shit... just read an article that stated college tuition has inflated 800% since the 1950's.
    The great irony is those colleges are paid for with tax dollars, then the money is lent back to families that paid the taxes.

mtbr member
    I'm not sure. I would assume fairly good as there are lots of good students at Paly. My son told me a kid in one of his classes just got into Yale and another who was on the XC team got into MIT. So anecdotally, some big name colleges are represented.

Here's a map they put out last year.

https://thecampanile.org/2018/05/20/...ly-plans-2018/
    I would wondering about Oxford. I have heard lots of talk about McGill as a great cheap (and easier) option but never the Oxbridge schools....

Moderator Moderator
    Another friend's kid just got into Stanford early action. That makes 2 so far.

fc
    Another friend's kid just got into Stanford early action. That makes 2 so far.
    What’s special about these kids? What are their scores? Awards?

Stanford seems to want the best of the best from around the world
    IPA will save America

mtbr member
    The great irony is those colleges are paid for with tax dollars, then the money is lent back to families that paid the taxes.
    UC funding sources during 2011 - 2012:
    buzzes like a fridge

mtbr member
    Funny how easily we all get caught up in the college admissions rat race to send our kids off to highly regarded universities. However, one's major has a much stronger correlation with career lifetime earnings than university attended (of course a comp sci degree from MIT or Stanford is like a golden ticket!). I'd much rather have my kid go to a "decently regarded" public university like Arizona or ASU and major in something like engineering or information systems, as opposed to spending a ridiculous sum of money at Stanford if he was going to major in something like sociology or art history.

fc
    Quote Originally Posted by Haus Boss View Post
    Funny how easily we all get caught up in the college admissions rat race to send our kids off to highly regarded universities. However, one's major has a much stronger correlation with career lifetime earnings than university attended (of course a comp sci degree from MIT or Stanford is like a golden ticket!). I'd much rather have my kid go to a "decently regarded" public university like Arizona or ASU and major in something like engineering or information systems, as opposed to spending a ridiculous sum of money at Stanford if he was going to major in something like sociology or art history.
    Well said!!

On another note, my sister just became the VP of Marketing for Santa Clara University!! Anyway, she said, some parents use their kid's college as their 'report card for parenting'. We had a good laugh.
    IPA will save America

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by dirtvert View Post
    tRump needed to go to college to avoid the draft, but he didn't have the smarts to get into an Ivy league school, so his millionaire daddy donated a ton of money to Wharton, where his brother was a friend and former classmate with the admissions officer. Classy.
    My executive sponsor in my first job and life-long friend / mentor was Trump's roommate senior year in high school - boarding school - (they weren't friends...they were assigned to live together because my friend was pretty straight and narrow and Trump had been screwing up big time so the administration assigned him to live with my friend). He's got some incredible stories about what Trump was doing to try to get into college.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    Well said!!

On another note, my sister just became the VP of Marketing for Santa Clara University!! Anyway, she said, some parents use their kid's college as their 'report card for parenting'. We had a good laugh.
    so true. My across-the-street neighbor is the biggest offender...stickers in car windows and all!

Moderator Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Haus Boss View Post
    I think we all get caught up in our own little self created rat races to varying degrees. I think it's important to remember that there are many roads to success, many of which can't be predicted or planned, so if one road is closed there are others that are open. And, it's mainly what a kid did to get into Stanford that will make them successful later in life, not the fact that they actually went.

This is a great video Warren Buffett did a while back.

middle ring single track
    The things college can't teach. My personal hero, Jim Pattison.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/featu...n-pickup-truck
    I really like this bloke; a couple of tidbits from that article that I liked:

"Companies are getting bigger; dogs are definitely getting smaller."

Does he ever take a vacation? “Well, I get 365 days,” he quips. “If you like your work, it’s not work.”

One of my favorite commencement speeches:

Content here does not officially represent the CA DPR.

Windows 10, destroying humanity one upgrade at a time.

middle ring single track
    Quote Originally Posted by RBoardman View Post
    Graduated high school in 2014.
    Went to SJSU for Mechanical Engineering. Will graduate in 4.5 years (Dec 2018), with a very manageable class load each semester. (Was able to ride 4 days a week this semester). I was able to get every single class I wanted each semester. (Which is definitely not the case with a lot of my friends going to other CSU/UC schools). Tuition ranged from $3600-$3900 per semester with no financial aid.
    Did you graduate as planned?

I was there for my daughter's fiance's graduation; I'm sure you must know him---first name's Kellen. The winter ME class seemed rather small compared to all the other branches of engineering graduating that day.

Interesting that the number of Master's degrees conferred were about the same as BS grads.

I was totally blown away by the ethnic diversity of SJSU Engineering; I had no idea that it would be what it was.
    Content here does not officially represent the CA DPR.

Windows 10, destroying humanity one upgrade at a time.

Moderator Moderator
    What’s special about these kids? What are their scores? Awards?

Stanford seems to want the best of the best from around the world
    I would say for the top 20 colleges in America (however that is ranked), SAT 1500 and a near 4.0 GPA (unweighted) is the minimum requirement, to be competitive at the top 10, SAT 1550 and 4.0 GPA with all the hardest classes. Given the scores/grades are there, I think what application readers are looking for is what a kid did with the resources available to them. Also, I think what schools are looking to build is a well rounded student body, which is not the same as a well rounded student. A student who is world class at one thing adds to the others that are world class at other things, at the top colleges.

mtbr member
    Oct 2016
    I would say for the top 20 colleges in America (however that is ranked), SAT 1500 and a near 4.0 GPA (unweighted) is the minimum requirement, to be competitive at the top 10, SAT 1550 and 4.0 GPA with all the hardest classes. Given the scores/grades are there, I think what application readers are looking for is what a kid did with the resources available to them. Also, I think what schools are looking to build is a well rounded student body, which is not the same as a well rounded student. A student who is world class at one thing adds to the others that are world class at other things, at the top colleges.
    Stanford undergrad is just under 13% D1 athletes. Stanford undergrad had 31 students at the Rio olympics in 2016. They have been the most successful D1 athletic program in the country for 24 straight years. For a student body of 7,000. Let that sink in for a second. Silly.

the difference between Stanford and the Harvards/Yales/MITs/etc is that their requirements for a student meet the same high standard for quantitative attributes, but from what i have seen, Stanford places a much larger emphasis on their students being well rounded... and not in the obvious resume packing way. A student needs to be a 3.8+ student, high test scores, but also be incredibly talented at something else, or have something super interesting going on outside of school that the student would be doing regardless of its attractiveness to colleges. they are looking for the best and brightest multi-dimensional people that will change the world. Success at stanford isnt just measured in future earnings, its measured in future impact on society, and the way they pick their student body reflects that.

By the same token, not everyone can or, frankly should be striving to, change the world and have a big impact on society. At the end of the day, too much emphasis is placed on school rankings. There is no goddamn difference between the 55th ranked engineering program in the nation and the 25th. NONE. Kids should be applying to schools that fit their academic profile, but they should be choosing the school that gives them the best social experience and least debt. Its turned into a competition amongst parents based on school rankings, instead of what will set the kid up best for life.

College is just another step in the long arduous path to success. Going to a UCLA instead of UC Riverside might give you a step or two up, but there are still 200 steps to go before you get that dream job and life.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123