Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Moderator Moderator
    Standing in line at UPS Store today....

OT: College Admissions Craziness-img_8158.jpg

mtbr member
    Sep 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by karld View Post
    (Also, don't be afraid of the cost or private skools. Apply to a few anyway. We were offered generous discounts, without being poor or gifted. They're running a business and know the competition!)
    Seriously. I really support public education and it was HUGELY helpful for my brother, but wasn't a good value for me. If you think private school's off the table because of the price tag, think again especially if you have a good student. Private school is worth considering because you rarely end up paying sticker price.

mtbr member
    Oct 2016
    I wonder if a kid could claim himself independent from his wealthy parents to qualify for a bunch of need based scholarships and low interest loans, pay a small percentage of what he would have paid for college, and then have his parents swoop in upon graduation and pay off his debt in one shot? I guess tax implications with gifting money would be an issue? But seems like a possible way to game the system.

mtbr member
    Sep 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by Californiagrown View Post
    I wonder if a kid could claim himself independent from his wealthy parents to qualify for a bunch of need based scholarships and low interest loans, pay a small percentage of what he would have paid for college, and then have his parents swoop in upon graduation and pay off his debt in one shot? I guess tax implications with gifting money would be an issue? But seems like a possible way to game the system.
    I would imagine a need-based scholarship would see through that, but FAFSA might not. It's doable, but gift tax would be the main barrier. The limit is $14000 per year. And then there's the issue that the parents would no longer be able to claim the child as a dependent which will add a few thousand to the parents' tax bill each year (granted the kid can now claim himself, but given he'd have little to no income there'd be no benefit). And then there is the issue that financial aid often requires students to do work-study. Probably a raw deal for the rich kid, though maybe slightly better for their parents depending on specific numbers?

mtbr member
    Oct 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by fc View Post
    Yes, all the activities, clubs, community service seem to be overlooked at UC until you hit the base level gpa and sat.
    Again, facts are good. UC's stated minimum GPA is 3.0.

UC 2017 admissions, GPA:

0-2.99 5% of applicants
    3.0-3.99 13% of applicants
    3.4-3.79 24% of applicants
    3.8-4.19 35% of applicants
    4.2 and above 13% of applicants

Name:  uc.PNG
Views: 715
Size:  41.9 KB

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    There is a recent change regarding transfer to UC from a California JC.

From the article below:
    Qualifying CA Community College Students Guaranteed UC Admission « CBS Sacramento
    ---------
    The University of California and the California Community Colleges entered into the Enhancing Student Transfer agreement Wednesday. It goes into effect for students beginning community college in the Fall 2019 semester. Under the memorandum of understanding, students who complete one of the UC pathways and have the required GPA are guaranteed a place in one of the nine UC schools.

fc
    head minion Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by rafekett View Post
    Seriously. I really support public education and it was HUGELY helpful for my brother, but wasn't a good value for me. If you think private school's off the table because of the price tag, think again especially if you have a good student. Private school is worth considering because you rarely end up paying sticker price.
    Absolutely. Private schools are a good avenue now in CA since they see the state of the state and are filling the void giving $ aid. Good colleges out of state too

In my circle, kids who focused applications on UC and CSU were put in the most difficulty. Rejected or waitlisted en masse. Well, accepted to UC Merced maybe.
    IPA will save America

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by ssalinas View Post
    ...are guaranteed a place in one of the nine UC schools[/B].
    I'm assuming you don't get to pick which of the 9 you get into. You might be thinking "2 yrs in the JC and then off to Berkeley... instead you're headed to Riverside...[/QUOTE]

Axe
    Custom User Title
    Yes, my friend’s daughter married her friend for four years, and they both got through college on need scholarships.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by sjhiker View Post
    I'm assuming you don't get to pick which of the 9 you get into. You might be thinking "2 yrs in the JC and then off to Berkeley... instead you're headed to Riverside...
    [/QUOTE]

You are correct, but there are JCs that have their own guaranteed transfer to particular UCs. Some in the area have transfer agreements with UCSC, not Berkeley, but not Riverside either. I think the backlash here is students getting shut-out of the UC entirely, this is a new path to the UC that is guaranteed, as long as you meet course and GPA requirements, might make the difference to someone sending their kid out-of-state or to a private school.

Moderator Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Axe View Post
    Yes, my friend’s daughter married her friend for four years, and they both got through college on need scholarships.
    Who got what in the divorce?

Axe
    Custom User Title
    Quote Originally Posted by 5k bike 50cent legs View Post
    Who got what in the divorce?
    Both got their diplomas with no debt. Still good friends.

Told my daughter about that. She is starting high school. She is musing it over.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by fillaroida View Post
    College entrance is, and always has been, a meritocracy.

You aren't suggesting that colleges change their entrance criteria to accept lower-achieving students over more qualified students, are you?

What would you change so that UCB and UCLA "serve the growing needs of the state"?
    My dear friend, are you familiar with the history of admissions at Ivies like Yale, Princeton and Harvard? Caltech is one of the few schools that functions solely on your GPA and test scores.

The Ivy Curtain

mtbr member
    Oct 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by Haus Boss View Post
    My dear friend, are you familiar with the history of admissions at Ivies like Yale, Princeton and Harvard? Caltech is one of the few schools that functions solely on your GPA and test scores.
    Not your friend, let alone your dear friend.

You might want to read the entire thread, especially the post where I clarified that I was referencing public colleges in California in my reply - since FC was posting about UC schools.

Best of luck.

mtbr member
    Feb 2018
    https://youtu.be/ULFSGNK4VSc

Sent from my SM-N950U1 using Tapatalk

fc
    Quote Originally Posted by basshack View Post
    https://youtu.be/ULFSGNK4VSc

Sent from my SM-N950U1 using Tapatalk
    interesting: Stossel: The College Scam
    IPA will save America

fc
    The move-in time has come. Where did your kid end up and did you move in yet?

fc
    IPA will save America

tjp
    mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    I'm not seeing a huge difference in outcomes between the kids I know that have gone to elite schools and those that have gone to a "good" school (correcting for innate ability and ambition, of course). Great people excel. End of story. My advice to my kid is, and will always be, "Go to a school that offers good programs in your area of interest and is located in a place you will have a great experience in for a few years".

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    The move-in time has come. Where did your kid end up and did you move in yet?

fc
    Kid #2 is off to UCSB (doesn't move in 'til Sept 23rd-ish). Chem major, Honors program (gives you preferential treatment on housing and classes...selected a dorm room right on the bluffs facing the beach)...thinks she'll either minor in or double-major in Econ. No financial aid from the school but a number of nice private scholarships (eg. Rotary Club). It came down to UCLA and UCSB for her and, ultimately, she wanted to live near the beach and study in a slightly more chill environment...which I totally support...you gotta enjoy life.

Kid #1 took the same path and chose UCSC over other schools that people thought were 'better.' He's a big rider so UCSC's (obviously) a great place for him to be and he's managing to get plenty of riding in while double-majoring in Comp Sci and Econ.

Saving from doing public high school (versus private) and a little bit of 529 savings basically cover 4-5 years of UC education so it's working out pretty well for the parents as well ;-)

College is stupid-expensive, for sure...but I'm more worried about their post-college realities...everything seems so far out of reach, economically, these days...especially here in the bay area.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    You are correct, but there are JCs that have their own guaranteed transfer to particular UCs. Some in the area have transfer agreements with UCSC, not Berkeley, but not Riverside either. I think the backlash here is students getting shut-out of the UC entirely, this is a new path to the UC that is guaranteed, as long as you meet course and GPA requirements, might make the difference to someone sending their kid out-of-state or to a private school.[/QUOTE]

This comes with a significant caveat these days, however...while there are transfer agreements with most UC's (and I, personally, think this is a great path for some kids), UC's are now limiting the types of Majors you can transfer into. The really impacted / high-demand Majors are being restricted / eliminated for the transfer path.

fc
    interesting article about record number of UC transfers

https://www.sfchronicle.com/bayarea/...l-13067609.php
    IPA will save America

Moderator Moderator
    Palo Alto High college placement map for 2018.

https://thecampanile.org/2018/05/20/...ly-plans-2018/

mtbr member

Kids going to some good schools.
    On MTBR, the reputation is infamous.

Moderator Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Vespasianus View Post
    Kids going to some good schools.
    Paly is pretty rigorous academically. Kids are well prepared for college IMHO.

Professional Troll
    A friend was telling me that top students are leaving California for early admissions out of state. She told me a kid she knew got into Columbia, and was rejected at UC Davis!
    Every kid who grows up in California (especially places like the Bay Area or Santa Barbara or similar) should be required to go to school out of state, for their own good.

fc

That map is very cool!

5 Stanford? Oh my.
    IPA will save America

Moderator Moderator
    That map is very cool!

5 Stanford? Oh my.
    17 to Berkeley

But none are going to University of Whistler School of Singletrack.....

fc
    17 to Berkeley

But none are going to University of Whistler School of Singletrack.....
    Is that school paper student run? It is pro.
    IPA will save America

Moderator Moderator
    Is that school paper student run? It is pro.
    Yeah, Paly's student publications are pretty much world class. The Campanile and Verde have won numerous national awards. They are lucky to have some pretty incredible faculty mentors there.

From Wikipedia:

• The Campanile is the high school's newspaper. It prints 24 broadsheet pages once every three weeks. The Campanile has been in the National Scholastic Press Association Hall of Fame since 2004, and also has won four Pacemaker awards and also a West regional award for editorial excellence from Time.
    • Verde is Paly's school magazine publication, published five times each year and available online. Verde has won Pacemaker and Gold Crown awards for scholastic journalism, including the 2005 Gold Crown award in the Newspaper category.[citation needed] In 2006 Verde won the Best in Show at National Journalism Convention held in San Francisco.[citation needed] In 2008 Verde was one of four newsmagazines awarded the Pacemaker award from the National Scholastic Press Association.[9]
    • The Viking is Paly's sports magazine publication, published six times each year and available online. Founded in 2007, The Viking was the first publication at the high school level to solely cover athletics in the country.
    • The Paly Voice, launched in the 2002–03 school year, is Paly's online news source. It features searchable archives of all other Paly publications as well as exclusive online content. In the spring of 2005, the site won both the People's Voice and Overall Webby Award in the "Student" category.[citation needed]
    • The "Madrono" is the Palo Alto High School yearbook. It will publish its 100th issue in 2020.

fc
    If anyone has young ones, in the Bay Area, I'd recommend Mitty High! Academic and Sports powerhouse. But more important, they focus on molding thoughtful, compassionate young adults. Lots of community service, work study, volunteer, travel and immersion trips and retreats exist. Much scholarship money too. I have one just graduated and a junior there.

College bound:
    https://www.mitty.com/assets/files/a...oolprofile.pdf
    IPA will save America

Moderator Moderator
    If anyone has young ones, in the Bay Area, I'd recommend Mitty High! Academic and Sports powerhouse. But more important, they focus on molding thoughtful, compassionate young adults. Lots of community service, work study, volunteer, travel and immersion trips and retreats exist. Much scholarship money too. I have one just graduated and a junior there.

College bound:
    I only hear good things about Mitty, and the numbers prove it.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    I only hear good things about Mitty, and the numbers prove it.
    I always wonder about causation versus correlation in these statistics...likely some of both.

Axe
    Custom User Title
    High school in this country seems unnecessarily stressful and does not produce results in proportion to effort.

Axe
    Custom User Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Gemini2k05 View Post
    Every kid who grows up in California (especially places like the Bay Area or Santa Barbara or similar) should be required to go to school out of state, for their own good.
    To red states in particular. With gun friendly conservative culture.

Moderator Moderator
    High school in this country seems unnecessarily stressful and does not produce results in proportion to effort.
    This is a big country, we live in a small area. I think this area and a few others are particularly stressful, but the academic achievement is correspondingly high. Not so in other parts of the country.

banned
    Jul 2018
    If anyone has young ones, in the Bay Area, I'd recommend Mitty High! Academic and Sports powerhouse. B
    College bound:
    Something doesn't add up.

Quote Originally Posted by fc
    The UC system is absolutely screwed up now. Rejection rates are insane.
    Kid got accepted to 7 schools. Zero of them UC. . It was about the norm in his high school, Mitty.
    OT: College Admissions Craziness-mitty-truth.jpg

Moderator Moderator
    ^^ He's probably talking about the top UC schools. Rejection rates are pretty high at Berkeley, UCLA, Santa Barbara, San Diego and Davis. Most kids who are applying to Berkeley are likely applying to many other top schools around the country, and not the less competitive UC schools.

banned
    Jul 2018
    ^^ He's probably talking about the top UC schools.
    “UC system” is pretty specific - which is why it’s interesting that Mitty’s information about acceptance to the UC system, that he posted, doesn’t jive with his claims.

Moderator Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by brownpownow View Post
    “UC system” is pretty specific - which is why it’s interesting that Mitty’s information about acceptance to the UC system, that he posted, doesn’t jive with his claims.
    I think it jives....UC system acceptance at Irvine, Riverside, etc are still relatively low at about 40-50%, which would be the norm for many state flagship schools. UC Irvine is approaching UNC, UVA, etc, and has a lower acceptance rate than University of Washington and Oregon. That's insane. The kids he was referencing as not getting into UC's were probably applying to the top UCs.

Moderator Moderator
    With out Googling, can anyone name the US college with the lowest acceptance rate?

fc
    ^^ He's probably talking about the top UC schools. Rejection rates are pretty high at Berkeley, UCLA, Santa Barbara, San Diego and Davis. Most kids who are applying to Berkeley are likely applying to many other top schools around the country, and not the less competitive UC schools.
    Yeah, definitely just the top.

UCLA has dropped from 50% acceptance to 14% in 2018 in the last 25 yearsOT: College Admissions Craziness-screen-shot-2018-08-23-6.09.14-pm.png

Looks like it dropped from 16% to 14% in the last year. And in a few years, it will be under 10. Berkeley is about the same. I think the problem is worse as there are a lot of student tools and sites now that say "don't bother applying there". (naviance)

It's a very real problem now if you're a high schooler who is aspiring to go to a top UC. And it's about to get worse.
    IPA will save America

Axe
    Custom User Title
    With out Googling, can anyone name the US college with the lowest acceptance rate?
    Stanford?

In my grad school it was something around 30 applications per admitted student, but it seems a lot of people are just sending everywhere, with no real chance.

Moderator Moderator
    Here's an interesting question: has getting into college gotten harder, or has getting into a specific school gotten harder?

Moderator Moderator
    Stanford?
    Nope. And not Harvard.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    maybe Cooper Union in Manhattan?
    94 Specialized Rockhopper

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by dth656 View Post
    maybe Cooper Union in Manhattan?

Nope, I think I know what it is. If I am right, think music. My neighbor taught there and he would always tell me this!

Moderator Moderator
    Nope, I think I know what it is. If I am right, think music. My neighbor taught there and he would always tell me this!
    Bingo....

mtbr member
    Bingo....

Yeah, my neighbor still teaches there and also one day a week at that other two bit school in NYC!

mtbr member
    Oct 2016
    Yeah, definitely just the top.

UCLA has dropped from 50% acceptance to 14% in 2018 in the last 25 yearsClick image for larger version. 

Name:	Screen Shot 2018-08-23 at 6.09.14 PM.png 
Views:	21 
Size:	188.0 KB 
ID:	1213406

Looks like it dropped from 16% to 14% in the last year. And in a few years, it will be under 10. Berkeley is about the same. I think the problem is worse as there are a lot of student tools and sites now that say "don't bother applying there". (naviance)

It's a very real problem now if you're a high schooler who is aspiring to go to a top UC. And it's about to get worse.
    Outside of UCLA and Berkeley, the other UCs dont have good name recognition outside of California and ALL of them offer the same education and curriculum as a standard state school. not to mention UCs are expensive (for an instate college), dont offer nearly the amount of scholarships that out of state schools do (my out of state cost was less than my sisters UCSB cost), and the campuses are terrible compared to many, many out of state schools.

IMO its a shitty situation where the UCs have been built up by classmates and parents and administrators as the Value Ivy Leagues. Bullshit. Its also bullshit that its normal to apply to 10+ schools. You did a shitty job researching schools if you can't narrow down your options to 5 or less schools ( 1 reach, 2-3 preferred, and 1 backup) before spending hundreds of dollars per application for schools you dont have any real intention of going to or getting into.

Basically, people apparently forget that name value of the school only gives you a 5% bump all other things being equal. And that 5% bump goes away after the entry level position, because then it is ALL about performance. Engineering principles don't change from Stanford to Iowa state. Its the same education, with the same liklihood of a teaching professor vs a research professor who hates teaching.

Axe
    Custom User Title
    That is incorrect in my opinion that school name goes away. “Premium” education on your resume does affect hiring decisions and interview screening for the rest of your career. My Stanford PHD is completely irrelevant to the work I do, but it did open many doors, well after entry level. I was doing hiring for many companies - everyone sure did look at the candidates school. Though effect is mostly for the top few ones, after that seems less obvious.

mtbr member
    Oct 2016
    That is incorrect in my opinion that school name goes away. “Premium” education on your resume does affect hiring decisions and interview screening for the rest of your career. My Stanford PHD is completely irrelevant to the work I do, but it did open many doors, well after entry level. Doing hiring for many companies - everyone sure did look at the school. Though effect is mostly for the top few ones, after that seems less obvious.
    A Stanford PHD vs State School U on your resume is a little bit different than UC Davis vs State School U undergrad on your resume haha.

I think youll agree with this: That degree will help get you the interview, but you still have to have the track record and nail the interview.

orthonormal
    I wnet to UCSD in the late 80's and loved it. My daughter is applying to UC schools but the more time she spends visiting campuses, talking to friends, etc., the more interest she has in private colleges. Harvey Mudd, U of Chicago, Northwestern, Washington U in St Louis, Tufts, and a few others. The only thing i've asked of her is to not apply early decision. I want to be sure we can make the budget work before committing to a particular school, even if it lowers her chances of getting into her top choice.
    The glass is twice as large as it needs to be

Axe
    Custom User Title
    That degree will help get you the interview, but you still have to have the track record and nail the interview.
    Yes, I will definitely agree with that. But getting foot in the door is a considerable part of the effort. And getting that first job also is important. There is data on lifetime earnings, though I am not sure how it accounts for the selection effect.

fc
    Quote Originally Posted by andy f View Post
    I wnet to UCSD in the late 80's and loved it. My daughter is applying to UC schools but the more time she spends visiting campuses, talking to friends, etc., the more interest she has in private colleges. Harvey Mudd, U of Chicago, Northwestern, Washington U in St Louis, Tufts, and a few others. The only thing i've asked of her is to not apply early decision. I want to be sure we can make the budget work before committing to a particular school, even if it lowers her chances of getting into her top choice.
    Senior this year?

Our family friend attended UCSD 6 years ago and she had a great experience/job. Her sister applied last year with slightly better grades and background and was rejected. Different times.

For your daughter, private colleges seem to be a good option. Great reputation, etc and they give a lot of financial aid if qualified. Loyola Marymount, SCU, Pepperdine, Chapman, Univ of Portland are some of the ones I know about in CA.
    IPA will save America

mtbr member
    Oct 2016
    Yes, I will definitely agree with that. But getting foot in the door is a considerable part of the effort. And getting that first job also is important. There is data on lifetime earnings, though I am not sure how it accounts for the selection effect.
    I would argue it just has to do with the quality of kid that is accepted. the school doesnt make them successful, they were going to be successful regardless. The best and the brightest are the only ones who meet the standard to get into the top schools, and its the best and the brightest that will make the most money in their lifetime. I really dont think the school has as much to do with it as many would have you believe.

Its kinda like saying that the NFL makes you a great athlete and football player, without realizing that only the freakiest athletic football players meet the standard to make an NFL team. You know what im saying?

Axe
    Custom User Title
    I would argue it just has to do with the quality of kid that is accepted. the school doesnt make them successful, they were going to be successful regardless. The best and the brightest are the only ones who meet the standard to get into the top schools, and its the best and the brightest that will make the most money in their lifetime. I really dont think the school has as much to do with it as many would have you believe.

Its kinda like saying that the NFL makes you a great athlete and football player, without realizing that only the freakiest athletic football players meet the standard to make an NFL team. You know what im saying?
    That is what I meant by the “selection effect”.

Moderator Moderator
    That is incorrect in my opinion that school name goes away. “Premium” education on your resume does affect hiring decisions and interview screening for the rest of your career. My Stanford PHD is completely irrelevant to the work I do, but it did open many doors, well after entry level. I was doing hiring for many companies - everyone sure did look at the candidates school. Though effect is mostly for the top few ones, after that seems less obvious.
    Everything builds on itself, so a PhD from a top school is a great building block. BUT, the mindset that one can rest on the laurels of having a PhD from a top school is a BIG mistake. Getting the PhD is the first step, it only gets more strenuous from there. Sometimes when a person has that inner fire that comes from the insecurity of having not gone to a top school, they go much further than the top school grad. I know a fair number of ultra wealthy and happy non college grads. It's an interesting calculus.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    a few thoughts:

-a "name" school can definitely get your foot in the door, or at least past the initial HR screen, and access to an alumni network
    -yes, although the engineering curriculum at UC Berkeley is the same as at UC Merced and Iowa State, you are competing against (in general), a higher caliber of student at UC B. therefore, it's more difficult to attain or exceed the mean in any given class.

a few contra examples: my last manager (stanford quant major, MIT phd) was fired for literally having shit-for-brains. i've also worked recently with a few stanford GSBers who are certifiable morons. what all these people have in common, however, is they have learned survival skills (talk a lot, act like you know what you are doing, take credit for someone else's work) that ensure they last at least 1 to 3 years after getting hired. ymmv.

mtbr member
    Everything builds on itself, so a PhD from a top school is a great building block. BUT, the mindset that one can rest on the laurels of having a PhD from a top school is a BIG mistake. Getting the PhD is the first step, it only gets more strenuous from there. Sometimes when a person has that inner fire that comes from the insecurity of having not gone to a top school, they go much further than the top school grad. I know a fair number of ultra wealthy and happy non college grads. It's an interesting calculus.
    Yup and if you come from a top school, you better have produced. Honestly, it can be both a blessing and a curse.

fc
    a few thoughts:

-a "name" school can definitely get your foot in the door, or at least past the initial HR screen, and access to an alumni network
    -yes, although the engineering curriculum at UC Berkeley is the same as at UC Merced and Iowa State, you are competing against (in general), a higher caliber of student at UC B. therefore, it's more difficult to attain or exceed the mean in any given class.

a few contra examples: my last manager (stanford quant major, MIT phd) was fired for literally having shit-for-brains. i've also worked recently with a few stanford GSBers who are certifiable morons. what all these people have in common, however, is they have learned survival skills (talk a lot, act like you know what you are doing, take credit for someone else's work) that ensure they last at least 1 to 3 years after getting hired. ymmv.
    agree on all fronts.
    IPA will save America

Moderator Moderator
    This lawsuit and others that will most likely follow might reshape US university admissions. Particularly with a conservative Supreme Court.

https://www.cnn.com/2018/10/20/polit...ney/index.html

mtbr member
    This lawsuit and others that will most likely follow might reshape US university admissions. Particularly with a conservative Supreme Court.

Yeah, the ramifications of this could be huge but it will come at the expense of white kids, not black or hispanic kids. Will the majority except this?

Axe
    Custom User Title

Is it a bad thing?

Supreme Court is supposed to be conservative. That is it’s duty, protecting the Constitution, not activism.

Moderator Moderator
    Is it a bad thing?

Supreme Court is supposed to be conservative. That is it’s duty, protecting the Constitution, not activism.
    The Constitution is an evolving document, the fundamental ideals of the American Revolution are what should be conserved: Life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness. It's the latter term that gets tricky.

Formerly of Kent
    Is it a bad thing?

What is “activism”?

Was Brown v. Board “activism”? Roe v. Wade? Obergefell v. Hodges?

I mean, I’d argue Citizens United v. FEC was pretty damn activist, and I don’t think the Constitution mentions giving rights to corporations anywhere. But, somehow a bunch of people selected by the Federalist Society, purportedly the gate keepers of originalism, decided a non-living entity had rights.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Death from Below.

mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    Conservatives wrap themselves in the Constitution- until it clashes with their agenda, which these days looks a lot like fascism.

J-Flo
    Apr 2012
    The Harvard lawsuit is very interesting to me, as I am a trial lawyer. Harvard has a terrific defense team that is pursuing a very fact-intensive strategy. As a result, if Harvard wins the case in the trial court (which seems to me more likely than not), it will probably be very difficult for the anti-affirmative action forces to prevail on appeal.

This is due to a basic precept of the judicial system that jury verdicts and factual findings in the trial court are upheld as long as there is some “substantial evidence” to support them. This is a bedrock principle of judging. Unfortunately, that hasn’t stopped the Supreme Court from ignoring and reimagining what actually happened in a case as necessary to fit the purposes of the justices. They all do this from time to time, on both sides, but to my mind the reactionary activist wing are the worst offenders.

By the way, the “reactionary activist” wing is composed of the Justices who say, when convenient for them, that the constitution’s meaning is fixed in time and determined according to what the dead white male slave-owners who wrote those words meant by them at the time. Thomas is the prime example and Gorsuch often seems to be jonesing to take us back to the 18th century too (but again, only when it fits what he wants to do).

Axe
    Custom User Title
    Full triggered. Oh, well.

mtbr member

This was published a couple of days ago in Crimson (the Harvard newspaper) and goes to the issue:

OT: College Admissions Craziness-graph-harvard-average-admit-rate-race-1995-2013.png

Moderator Moderator
    This was published a couple of days ago in Crimson (the Harvard newspaper) and goes to the issue:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Graph of Harvard average admit rate by race - 1995-2013.png 
Views:	39 
Size:	60.5 KB 
ID:	1221751
    Parse the data over a smaller and more recent timeframe and I'm sure they will look much different.

This is an old article but points out the fact that it's the things you did to get into Harvard that will make a person successful, not the fact that you actually attended. "Elite" colleges are currently giving away their competitive advantage in many ways, this will become evident in the next 10 or 20 years.

I have three friends who have private jets, one graduated from college, barely.

https://www.brookings.edu/articles/who-needs-harvard/

Axe
    Custom User Title

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Graph of Harvard average admit rate by race - 1995-2013.png 
Views:	39 
Size:	60.5 KB 
ID:	1221751
    Could be base rate fallacy. Need more data.

Moderator Moderator
    Could be base rate fallacy. Need more data.
    Article was obviously not written by a Stanford grad!

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    i met a lot of ivy league morons who were either legacy admits, or benefited from a large parental donation to the institution, or both.

Formerly of Kent
    i met a lot of ivy league morons who were either legacy admits, or benefited from a large parental donation to the institution, or both.
    My wife’s law school class was populated with the heirs and heiresses to several billion dollar fortunes. They were not at the top of the class, or anywhere near it.

But, for better or worse, they pay for other, less wealthy people to get an education with the massive checks their parents write.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Death from Below.

Log off and go ride!
    Jul 2003
    Just claim you are native American

It worked for liz warren at Harvard...
    So many trails... so little time...

Over it
    Jun 2010
    tRump needed to go to college to avoid the draft, but he didn't have the smarts to get into an Ivy league school, so his millionaire daddy donated a ton of money to Wharton, where his brother was a friend and former classmate with the admissions officer. Classy.
    Last edited by dirtvert; 10-22-2018 at 08:56 PM.
    The broken are the more evolved. Rejoice.

Axe
    Custom User Title
    Wah! Wah! Waaah!!

Over it
    Jun 2010
    ^^ Spoken like a true bot. That's really the best you could come up with? Eloquent!
    The broken are the more evolved. Rejoice.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by dave54 View Post
    Just claim you are native American

It worked for liz warren at Harvard...
    Actually, there is no evidence for this. Just as there is no evidence that Trump got into Penn because of his money. Both are false accusations.

fc
    Ok, back on topic please.
    IPA will save America

Axe
    Custom User Title
    Quote Originally Posted by dirtvert View Post
    ^^ Spoken like a true bot. That's really the best you could come up with? Eloquent!
    What will really cook your noodle is the fact that I am Russian.

Conspiracy!

orthonormal
    Ok, back on topic please.
    Ok, then. I'm leaving in a week to visit some schools back East with my daughter. Case Western Reserve, Lehigh, Lafayette, Tufts, and Boston U. Tufts is her #2 overall, after Northwestern. We're also visiting Harvey Mudd in a few weeks.

She's applying to 4 UC campuses but isn't too excited about any of them since she started looking more closely at private schools.

Another option to consider for high performing kids are the honors colleges at some of the big public universities. The programs at Arizona State and Indiana are particularly well regarded. Most who are accepted get enough merit-based aid from the school to make it a very attractive option.

There's also Early Decision at a lot of the private schools. Increased chance of admission in exchange for a commitment to attend should you be accepted. I don't like the financial gamble so my daughter isn't doing an ED application, even to her #1. At $70K+/year, we have to see the financial aid side of things before making a choice.
    The glass is twice as large as it needs to be

Moderator Moderator
    Ok, then. I'm leaving in a week to visit some schools back East with my daughter. Case Western Reserve, Lehigh, Lafayette, Tufts, and Boston U. Tufts is her #2 overall, after Northwestern. We're also visiting Harvey Mudd in a few weeks.

She's applying to 4 UC campuses but isn't too excited about any of them since she started looking more closely at private schools.

Another option to consider for high performing kids are the honors colleges at some of the big public universities. The programs at Arizona State and Indiana are particularly well regarded. Most who are accepted get enough merit-based aid from the school to make it a very attractive option.

There's also Early Decision at a lot of the private schools. Increased chance of admission in exchange for a commitment to attend should you be accepted. I don't like the financial gamble so my daughter isn't doing an ED application, even to her #1. At $70K+/year, we have to see the financial aid side of things before making a choice.
    Good comments here, your daughter must be an exceptional student. Lafayette is a college that's not on a lot of radars, but is a pretty incredible place. Another I would encourage her to look at is Davidson if she likes high quality liberal arts colleges.

mtbr member

We are in a similar boat and are looking at some smaller California schools - Pomona & Pitzer - to start. The ED decision is a tough one as you are committed, but the acceptance rates are very good. The one thing I can't seem to find is if the metrics (SAT, GPA, class rank, ACT) are different for those who do early decision versus those that go regular decision.

I also think the honors colleges are a fantastic option. They basically give you a much nicer environment and some other perks that make it worthwhile.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012

I'd be careful with the bay area -> east coast transition. I attempted it recently ('16 hs grad) and was decidedly not a fan. Easy to understand in my case, as there are no readily accessible mtb trails in Boston, but 3 out of the 4 other bay area kids that I knew transferred to warmer climates after a year or two.

fc
    Status report:
    My kid Miggy is now a Freshman in Chapman U in socal. He's a finance major and is happy in that very welcoming school with a lot of resources. He got in the baseball team and he might even play since he is growing unlike me. https://www.instagram.com/p/BoMTQ2Yh...ken-by=fcebedo

Last weekend, he got together with his Mitty High friends since they all seem to be in Socal. University of San Diego, UCSD, Irvine, Pepperdine, Cal Poly are where they ended up since they like warm weather I guess.
    OT: College Admissions Craziness-44493365_10156604786593213_7389871002366246912_o.jpg
    IPA will save America

Golden Bears United
    Quote Originally Posted by abcdefg View Post
    I'd be careful with the bay area -> east coast transition. I attempted it recently ('16 hs grad) and was decidedly not a fan. Easy to understand in my case, as there are no readily accessible mtb trails in Boston, but 3 out of the 4 other bay area kids that I knew transferred to warmer climates after a year or two.
    Agreed with this comment. From SoCal to Berkeley to East coast for grad school, I could only take the update NY snow for two years. Went back to BA for third year as a visiting student, paid in-state public tuition rather than private, and still able to transfer credits back for a private school diploma. Win-win!
    Solo & Ala Carte ~ that's how I like my bikes.

Golden Bears United
    a few thoughts:

Agreed with your comments, except for the part regarding examples being "contra." The common denominator in the idiots you encountered is Stanfurd. That explains it all.

Moderator Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by TeeKay View Post
    Agreed with your comments, except for the part regarding examples being "contra." The common denominator in the idiots you encountered is Stanfurd. That explains it all.
    Prediction for Nov 17?

Axe
    Custom User Title
    Quote Originally Posted by TeeKay View Post
    Somebody is salty. They rejected your application?

Moderator Moderator

mtbr member
    Oct 2016
    Meh, i went from the Bay Area to college in Pullman, WA and i freaking loved it there. I moved up to Seattle 4 years ago after living in SF for a few years after college and couldn't be happier with the move. Depends on the person.

Golden Bears United
    Somebody is salty. They rejected your application?
    Nah. Did not know much about it before college, and once knew, did not apply for grad school. I'm just not too thrilled about their FB beating my Bears the last couple of years. Hope Nov 17 will be different.

I view all things Furd through blue-and-gold-colored glasses, I guess. I don't own anything red.

That said, if my daughters decided to apply and got in, I wouldn't bar them from attending. Just won't sign the full tuition checks.

Axe
    Custom User Title
    Go Cardinal.

I am glad they did pay me to attend, that is for sure. I would not recommend undergrad there though.

Moderator Moderator

I would not recommend undergrad there though.
    Why?

Axe
    Custom User Title
    Why?
    It is more of a research university, good for grad school. I do not think undergrad there is a good value. That is from my experience as a TA. Individual mileage may vary.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Meh, i went from the Bay Area to college in Pullman, WA and i freaking loved it there. I moved up to Seattle 4 years ago after living in SF for a few years after college and couldn't be happier with the move. Depends on the person.
    Glad it worked out for you. Pullman seems like a great college town.

Anecdotally, I would say the kids in Washington are much more similar to kids in California than California kids are to New Englanders. More socially conservative/introverted. While I was there were definitely a few cliques that formed that had high correlation to where people grew up. That could be for any number of reasons but the social structures amongst them were undeniably different.

I feel like I'm articulating this concept poorly but the point is there is more thats different about the east coast than just the weather.
    Last edited by abcdefg; 4 Days Ago at 09:26 PM.

fc
    Glad it worked out for you. Pullman seems like a great college town.

Anecdotally, I would say the kids in Washington are much more similar to kids in California than California kids are to New Englanders. More socially conservative/introverted, as well as politically conservative in many cases. While I was there were definitely a few cliques that formed that had high correlation to where people grew up. That could be for any number of reasons but the social structures amongst them were undeniably different.

I feel like I'm articulating this concept poorly but the point is there is more thats different about the east coast than just the weather.
    good points. Much appreciated.
    IPA will save America

fc
    It is more of a research university, good for grad school. I do not think undergrad there is a good value. That is from my experience as a TA. Individual mileage may vary.
    Stanford undergrad is not a good value. Damn. I've heard it all now.
    IPA will save America

Moderator Moderator
    Stanford undergrad is not a good value. Damn. I've heard it all now.
    It's way underpriced.

OT: College Admissions Craziness-stanford-tuition-historical-table.jpg

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast