Thread: OT: Coffee

fc
    head minion Administrator

OT: Coffee

Do you have coffee kung fu? Tell us about it. What is your equipment and what coffee do you make.

Any tips?

I'm off the beer for now but I'm hitting coffee so quality counts. I do mostly espresso-machiatto. Double shot with foamed milk.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails OT: Coffee-img_0132.jpg  

IPA will save America

mtbr member
    Verve. Generally blue label (Latin America). Pour over with 5$ plastic cone. Black. Done.

I Tried Them ALL... SuperModerator
    I had a Gaggia for 16 years, until it finally died. Back to French Pressed coffee or brews from my Kitchen-Aid now.
    "This is a male-dominated forum... there will be lots of Testosterone sword-shaming here" ~ Kenfucius

mtbr member
    I recently started drinking Blue Bottle coffee. Really good stuff.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Always local and fresh roasted from a very good shop here in Dresden. MOSDEF the 4th wave type.

Machine it the ECM and a Mazzer Grinder, Torr tamper

(Kitchen Snap) Wake up and smell the Espresso **ECM Espresso Machine** |

I always believe in quality and to start your day off the best you can.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Tripower View Post
    I recently started drinking Blue Bottle coffee. Really good stuff.
    About 10 years ago, Blue Bottle changed my whole outlook on coffee.

AKD
    Temporarily flatlanded
    Blue Bottle - Hayes Valley espresso. You're welcome.

(also, 44 guests viewing the thread. the land managers, Park Watch, and law enforcement must be bored today...)

Snowjnky McDreamy
    Dana Street Roasting Co in MV
    Boil
    Grind
    Pour over with ceramic cone
    Black
    Brother Seamus?
    Like an Irish monk?
    Comic relief in a discussion does no harm..
    CS Lewis
    Quadzilla

It's about showing up.
    I go way back with all kinds of systems. Chemex was the best with Celebese Kollossi.

Now I keep it simple with a Kuerig, set to the lowest temp, with a a refillable basket of whatever I have on hand.
    I don't rattle.

mtbr member
    Verve Street Level Espresso americano style, using the Aero Press.

mtbr member
    Ceramic cone, hemp filter pour over, fresh ground Coffee Connection beans from Tahoe City. Double French roast does pretty good.

ask
    user
    My goto lately is Chromatic's Gamut Espresso beans... good quality, affordable, and close to my house. I use Flying Goat, Verve, and Blue Bottle occasionally as well.

I've been using a Breville BES870XL for about a year now. It replaced a dead Saecco unit. I've been pretty happy with it. Affordable, conical burr grinder and very adjustable for temp, length of shot, grind size, dose, etc. Not too big on the counter either. I've got some extra tampers and a tamping stand too. That is about it.

I mainly do cappuccino on it. I dig playing around with dose, tamp pressure, and grind size to adjust the shot. I've been working on getting the milk temp/texture just right too. (work in progress) Those guys that pull off the milk designs make it look so easy.
    OT: Coffee-cap.jpg

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    Bialetti Moka Express, Peets Gia Organic, 1/2 & 1/2 no fuss no muss

I've had a Pliny
    I use a Gaggia Classic at home every morning - going strong for 20 years.

Then I got an Aeropress about 3 months ago for work. Best cup of coffee I've had in ages - like that freaky-good upscale restaurant coffee.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    I used to be a hard core, cold pressed Postum drinker, then switched to Chemex brewed Sanka. I do find that using a titanium or cobalt burr grinder on Yuban while leveraging the synchronousity of the erasure coding, is well worth the containerized Mesos functionality within the hashicorp matrix. I've noticed that only Folgers is optimized for the Kubernetes left handed brewing system. Heated over a single Cinder, it'll make Swift work of any bitterness and is the Keystone to a great cup of coffee. The next cup is always on my Horizon.

mtbr member
    Nothing beats home roasted coffee beans. Roasting your own beans, from whatever varietals you like, to whatever level of roast you like, is awesome. Its not very time consuming or expensive to get into. Totally worth every dime you invest into it.
    Some of the people here are buying thousands of dollars of coffee grinding and brewing equipment, but all of that is a waste if you are just putting stale beans of questionable quality through them.

MoreCoffee - Green Coffee Beans and Home Coffee Roasters!

Home Coffee Roasting - Green Coffee Beans
    Its all Shits and Giggles until somebody Giggles and Shits

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Brewtality View Post
    Nothing beats home roasted coffee beans. Roasting your own beans, from whatever varietals you like, to whatever level of roast you like, is awesome. Its not very time consuming or expensive to get into. Totally worth every dime you invest into it.
    Some of the people here are buying thousands of dollars of coffee grinding and brewing equipment, but all of that is a waste if you are just putting stale beans of questionable quality through them.

Totally agree and my next step is a roaster My local guys though are some of the best around and I love supporting them as they are good ppl.

Trail Gnome
    Quote Originally Posted by fc View Post
    Do you have coffee kung fu? Tell us about it. What is your equipment and what coffee do you make.

Any tips?

I'm off the beer for now but I'm hitting coffee so quality counts. I do mostly espresso-machiatto. Double shot with foamed milk.
    Off the beer...WTF? French press at home and Keurig @ work.

mtbr member

Coffee and Tea for me

I drink way too much coffee. Cafe Domingo medium roast and usually some Yerba Mate tea every day. +1 no brewskies like fc. OT: Coffee-fullsizerender-98.jpg Cheap and dirty Mr. Coffee
    Suicide by single speed. Work in progress.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011

I agree. Been roasting my own coffee for the past 2 years. So much better than buying pre-roasted coffee.

fc
    Quote Originally Posted by griz View Post
    Off the beer...WTF? French press at home and Keurig @ work.
    30 day concussion challenge!
    IPA will save America

I've had a Pliny
    OMG, now I'm going to get into coffee roasting. You all are a bad influence (already looking at an Axial Yeti).

fc
    Quote Originally Posted by Another Mike View Post
    Holy Crap you guys.....so much vanity

Trader Joes dark and a splash of half and half....simple, far less to type and/ or explain....same result.

I just throw it in the Mr Coffee and 8 minutes later, off we go.
    Vanity or a flight to quality?

Blue Moon or Pliny?

KHS bike or Bronson?
    IPA will save America

fc
    Quote Originally Posted by atayl0r View Post
    OMG, now I'm going to get into coffee roasting. You all are a bad influence (already looking at an Axial Yeti).
    Coffee roasting to me is like home brew. Too much time and effort to learn how to make decent stuff. I'd rather meet the masters of their craft and use their stuff. Oscar Nunez from Highnote coffee in Belmont is my sensei.

In Italy though, it seems they don't distinguish one bean from another. It's all in the machines and the craft of making espresso. Best coffee ever!

Axial Yeti.
    IPA will save America

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Damn is this norcal or 1% news.com

middle ring single track

100% Costco

Whatever Costco has that looks good and isn't too expensive.

Coffee maker came from there also.

Always grind at home; that's a Krups unit---think we picked it up at Goodwill.

BTW beer and concussion unless your doc is implying that your crashing had to do with riding drunk he should have also warned you about caffiene and concussions:

Caffeine impairs short-term neurological outcome after concussive head injury in rats. - PubMed - NCBI
    Content here does not officially represent the CA DPR.

Windows 10, destroying humanity one upgrade at a time.

fading away
    I'm off the beer for now
    Sup, mormon?
    goodbye cruel world. I am leaving you today.

mtbr member

In Italy though, it seems they don't distinguish one bean from another. It's all in the machines and the craft of making espresso. Best coffee ever!
    This is true - Europe and most of the rest of the world do coffee differently - most of the world is all about Italian or French roast, which are roasted extremely dark, to make espresso or French roast coffee, both of which are delicious but a completely different animal to our west coast, snobby, hipster coffee - the bean selection is way less important when you basically burn it b/c all the subtle flavors disappear so no reason to use the rare, really expensive beans - but it's really good in it's own way.

If you are going to make a more subtle, lighter roast, bean quality becomes important b/c all the subtle flavors will come through so now you can taste everything - if you try to do this with poor quality beans or don't do it right, the coffee is awful and tastes really weak or unbalanced, but if you do it with high quality, carefully roasted beans (like Blue Bottle, Ritual, Intellegensia, etc.) you get this really complex, acidic, balanced coffee and this is where all the snobbery come in. It is surprising though that the lighter the roast, the more caffeine.

It's kind of like comparing a West Coast IPA to a Stout - they are both delicious in their own way, but one is very subtle and easy to mess up if done wrong (IPA).

When I go for the lighter roasts, I agree with others that the ceramic cone pour over method is the best, and the trick to getting a really good cup is to use good beans, grind it fresh, use a lot of grounds, then pour a little bit of water just to get the beans wet and let it sit for a minute and you will see the grounds expand, then pour the rest of the water. Then drink your damn good cup of coffee!

mtbr member
    A Different Kind Of Coffee Break At Evernote HQ I work a shift (at work) every tuesday 1-2pm. We use Verve street level, which is super yummy. I make myself either a single-shot macchiato or latte. For home its an old Krups Gusto and Hario slim hand grinder, usually with Dancing Goats beans from the ATL or ones I pick up at the farmers marker or bike events (53x11), making Lattes.

mtbr member
    30 day concussion challenge!
    You must have hit your head to stop drinking beer
    Its all Shits and Giggles until somebody Giggles and Shits

Moderator Moderator
    Apr 2011
    15 year old Starbucks Barista (rebranded Saeco machine) and a new Rocky Grinder.

Current drink is double shot of espresso with 1tbs butter, 1 oz MCT oil, 1 oz half and half, whipped, and topped off with hot water.

For the record.....the most awesome beans come from CoffeeBar in Truckee.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    For coffee it's hard to beat a pour over. Since my wife and I need at least 2 cups a piece before we can get moving, we love the Espro. French press without the grit.

mtbr member
    LOL at you Californians.

Pour over? Never heard of it, but now I want it!
    Weighing beans? Weighing water????

I'm using the Espro French Press. Like it. Always was a dark roast guy until I found this local roaster in my town. Bought a light roast Ethiopian that has so much good flavor that my usual Dazbog expresso roast now seems burnt and boring.

fc
    Quote Originally Posted by Metamorphic View Post
    15 year old Starbucks Barista (rebranded Saeco machine) and a new Rocky Grinder.

Current drink is double shot of espresso with 1tbs butter, 1 oz MCT oil, 1 oz half and half, whipped, and topped off with hot water.

For the record.....the most awesome beans come from CoffeeBar in Truckee.
    That was my machine! It is good but it is weak. Once in a while, it would get in a rhythm but not enough pressure, temp and steam. Breaks down a lot too but luckily, it's repairable with spare parts and youtube videos.

fc
    IPA will save America

fc
    Is pour over better than a reach around?
    IPA will save America

fc
    Quote Originally Posted by skyno View Post
    This is true - Europe and most of the rest of the world do coffee differently - most of the world is all about Italian or French roast, which are roasted extremely dark, to make espresso or French roast coffee, both of which are delicious but a completely different animal to our west coast, snobby, hipster coffee - the bean selection is way less important when you basically burn it b/c all the subtle flavors disappear so no reason to use the rare, really expensive beans - but it's really good in it's own way.

If you are going to make a more subtle, lighter roast, bean quality becomes important b/c all the subtle flavors will come through so now you can taste everything - if you try to do this with poor quality beans or don't do it right, the coffee is awful and tastes really weak or unbalanced, but if you do it with high quality, carefully roasted beans (like Blue Bottle, Ritual, Intellegensia, etc.) you get this really complex, acidic, balanced coffee and this is where all the snobbery come in. It is surprising though that the lighter the roast, the more caffeine.

It's kind of like comparing a West Coast IPA to a Stout - they are both delicious in their own way, but one is very subtle and easy to mess up if done wrong (IPA).

When I go for the lighter roasts, I agree with others that the ceramic cone pour over method is the best, and the trick to getting a really good cup is to use good beans, grind it fresh, use a lot of grounds, then pour a little bit of water just to get the beans wet and let it sit for a minute and you will see the grounds expand, then pour the rest of the water. Then drink your damn good cup of coffee!

Good knowledge.
    IPA will save America

fc
    You must have hit your head to stop drinking beer
    I had a sip of beer yesterday during our baseball team's toast. I'm not ready.
    IPA will save America

fc
    Good knowledge about Rancilio Silvia techniques and how to get the temperature perfect. I tried it tonight and it frick'n works.

https://www.sweetmarias.com/prod.details-rancilio.php
    IPA will save America

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    You need the PID.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Depends on the reacher...

mtbr member
    So I've been reading about this compound in coffee named cafestol. It raises cholesterol. Apparently paper filters absorb most of it, but if you use a french press, percolator, or expresso that isn't filtered through paper, you will be consuming this compound.
    I just got into the french press method, so this is really a bummer for me since I have a cholesterol problem. I might have to look into getting one of those trendier gizmos.

You are welcome for the buzz kill

mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    I've been using a Bezzera bz07 HX machine w/ naked portafilter and Baratza Vario grinder since 2008 and could not be happier. Both have been super reliable for three perfect triple shots a day.

For beans I get the Black Velvet at Los Gatos Roasting Company. They roast weekly so they're always fresh and I get reliable crema (oddly, I have never liked the shots they pull in the store).

I've had a Pliny
    Quote Originally Posted by smilinsteve View Post
    So I've been reading about this compound in coffee named cafestol. It raises cholesterol. Apparently paper filters absorb most of it, but if you use a french press, percolator, or expresso that isn't filtered through paper, you will be consuming this compound.
    I just got into the french press method, so this is really a bummer for me since I have a cholesterol problem. I might have to look into getting one of those trendier gizmos.

You are welcome for the buzz kill
    Another reason to give an Aeropress a shot. Paper filter, easy brewing and the best cup of coffee I've ever made.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by atayl0r View Post
    Another reason to give an Aeropress a shot. Paper filter, easy brewing and the best cup of coffee I've ever made.
    I just watched a video on it and it looks pretty cool. I also did an experiment just now with my Espro french press. It has a 2 layer screen and its easy to wrap a paper filter around the inner screen and snap the outer screen over it. Pressing surprisingly didn't seem much harder or take longer. It also keeps the inner screen clean so less clean up.
    What I did notice is that the coffee changed in character. Smoother, but less complexity and less bite. Maybe some of the more subtle flavors became more apparent (looking on the bright side). I suppose that's because of the paper absorbing oils, and removing the fine grounds.

Overall, from this one test, I like the coffee better without the paper filter, but its not that big of a deal, and good to know I have an easy way to filter to remove the cafestol without buying more equipment.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    We're all going to die sooner or later. Life is too short for bad coffee, beer and riding.

Moderator Moderator
    Apr 2011
    That was my machine! It is good but it is weak. Once in a while, it would get in a rhythm but not enough pressure, temp and steam. Breaks down a lot too but luckily, it's repairable with spare parts and youtube videos.

fc
    Yeah, you really have to get into a groove with it on grind, tamping, and clamping pressure. It really requires that you be "present" in the process to achieve good results.

And yeah, I've fixed mine half a dozen times. I kind of like that its fixable though. So many things are disposable these days, its nice to think that you could keep using and fixing this thing till you die.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by sparkie View Post
    We're all going to die sooner or later. Life is too short for bad coffee, beer and riding.
    I hear you, but I've got an exceptionally bad hereditary cholesterol problem. Fortunately, there are enough good brewing options that involve paper filtering that not much of a sacrifice needs to be made. Also fortunately, is that beer does not raise cholesterol.

I'm really diggin it!
    Aero Press
    Digital water kettle
    Burr grinder
    Fresh beans

All the rest is kinda extra. Fresh bean is all that really matters. If you are a really good friend I'll brings some back for you in the private jet from Kona.

It is a very short list.

Moderator Moderator
    Apr 2011
    I like the Aero Press product, but its kind of a bean hog. You can really move the beans with that thing. Its also hard to get a really hot cup of coffee with it. I mostly use it for camping.

I'm really diggin it!
    I like the Aero Press product, but its kind of a bean hog. You can really move the beans with that thing. Its also hard to get a really hot cup of coffee with it. I mostly use it for camping.
    Aero press recommends 185 deg or so on the temp. Hence my digital water kettle. It's not hot but oh so tasty.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Let's ride
    Good knowledge about Rancilio Silvia techniques and how to get the temperature perfect. I tried it tonight and it frick'n works.

https://www.sweetmarias.com/prod.details-rancilio.php
    Buy the espresso monkey blend from SM's for espresso. It is very very good.
    https://www.sweetmarias.com/store/co...key-blend.html

Invest in a decent ~1/2lb roaster and you're set. It is very easy, and once you find the roast level you like, it is a no brainer to hit the button for 5-7 mins and you're done.
    Then you will have the problem where it is SO GOOD, you're looking for a roaster larger than 1/2lb. ;-)

fc
    Quote Originally Posted by rensho View Post
    Buy the espresso monkey blend from SM's for espresso. It is very very good.
    https://www.sweetmarias.com/store/co...key-blend.html

Invest in a decent ~1/2lb roaster and you're set. It is very easy, and once you find the roast level you like, it is a no brainer to hit the button for 5-7 mins and you're done.
    Then you will have the problem where it is SO GOOD, you're looking for a roaster larger than 1/2lb. ;-)
    What's a decent roaster?

Where do you buy beans? Is it cheaper?

I'm not sure it makes sense for me since I know a couple roasters who are at jedi level. Some of these beans though from others are $15/half pound. Stone cold pricey.
    IPA will save America

fc
    Aero press... I would use that thing camping. If I had a grinder, and a digital kettle and a ....

Easy to clean and that's good. I don't clean anything though on my espresso machine.
    IPA will save America

Over it
    Jun 2010
    I think you can file all of this under:

"Let's take something really simple and cheap, then make it really complicated and expensive!"

Wait, that sounds a lot like mountain biking...

(dang, I fell into my own trap)

How 'bout this: "The emperor has no clothes."
    Last edited by dirtvert; 05-12-2015 at 08:18 AM.
    The broken are the more evolved. Rejoice.

mtbr member
    Hardware-

- Espresso on a Gaggia Classic, ground with a Rancilio Rocky. Not the fanciest, and getting the pressure set correctly took some doing, but it pulls a consistently good shot and steams pretty well.

- Pourover, I use a Chemex, ground with a hand-crank burr grinder, and a cheap little Hario swan-neck kettle. Clean and simple.

Beans
    +1 for Verve. Other than Ritual, I haven't found anyone else who's espresso beans are even close, and their light roast beans for pour-over are incredible. Check out the Geisha varieties when they have them. I've messed around with roasting my own. It's fun, but at the end of the day, Verve does a better job than I could.

Let's ride
    What's a decent roaster?

Where do you buy beans? Is it cheaper?

I'm not sure it makes sense for me since I know a couple roasters who are at jedi level. Some of these beans though from others are $15/half pound. Stone cold pricey.
    There's no magic to roasting. You're tasting the freshness. For espresso, the blend is very important. Some blends are blended after roasting, versus prior(meaning certain beans in the blend want a certain roast level, different from the other bean(s) in the blend). The monkey is well chosen so that it can be roasted together and yield a nice product with taste and crema.
    The liquid amber is very good and quite different than the monkey.
    https://www.sweetmarias.com/store/co...sso-blend.html

Buy their Behmor roaster
    https://www.sweetmarias.com/store/ro...ster-7301.html

The monkey blend is only $6.25/lb and green beans can sit for years if needed.
    I like to roast 3-4 days worth at a time.

After TJs dropped their dark sumatra, I haven't found any other bean of theirs I like.

mtbr member
    Coffee roasting to me is like home brew. Too much time and effort to learn how to make decent stuff. I'd rather meet the masters of their craft and use their stuff. Oscar Nunez from Highnote coffee in Belmont is my sensei.

Axial Yeti.
    FC- I just bought a $20 air popper for popcorn and roasted my own beans. It couldn't be easier and holy heck it is good! You decide how much you want them roasted and can play around with the roast times. The green beans last a long time (up to a year) and then you can drink as needed. I do about two cups worth during a roast which takes less than 8 minutes.
    They never made the "Slowster"

fc
    Quote Originally Posted by pmarshall View Post
    FC- I just bought a $20 air popper for popcorn and roasted my own beans. It couldn't be easier and holy heck it is good! You decide how much you want them roasted and can play around with the roast times. The green beans last a long time (up to a year) and then you can drink as needed. I do about two cups worth during a roast which takes less than 8 minutes.
    Coffee popcorn?
    IPA will save America

٩(͡๏̯͡๏)۶[$̲̅(̲̅ιοο̲̅)$]
    After TJs dropped their dark sumatra, I haven't found any other bean of theirs I like.
    This! Although this thread is giving me ideas on other options
    ٩(●̮̮̃•̃)۶ ٩(-̮̮̃-̃)۶ ٩(͡๏̯͡๏)۶ ٩(-̮̮̃•̃)۶ ٩(×̯×)۶

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    Aero Press with good beans from a local roaster FTW!

I pour some below boiling H2O in, give it stir and let a little drip through, then fill it up and put the top on but don't press it through for a few minutes.

Freakin' heaven in a cup!

Obi
    -_-
    Oct 2005

Any tips?

Weird, was just watching the international news, specifically CCTV (Central China TV) bit about how coffee's growing in the global market, specifically China, and other countries over there.

Are we specifically looking at just talk and trading secrets here, or maybe like me looking at where the next big investment goes?

For us the main goto is sadly the Keurig lately, but I use a drop-in with a special roast I grind daily you technically can't buy but a buddy gets for me in San Leandro since he's right there. From there it's the French Press and the Bialetti I've had for around 20 years.

We also dabble with teas, oolong, chai, roobios and mix them around to play with tastes.

Moderator Moderator
    Apr 2011
    Aero press... I would use that thing camping. If I had a grinder, and a digital kettle and a ....

Easy to clean and that's good. I don't clean anything though on my espresso machine.
    One of these just came in the mail last week. I haven't really had a chance to start working it up but its kind of a cool idea.OT: Coffee-minipresso.jpg

What I like about the concept is that you can load it up and transport it easily, then just access some boiling water and pump out a couple oz of fresh. Stick the cap back on, and do the clean up later.

Wacaco Company Limited | MINIPRESSO - Hand powered portable espresso machine

mtbr member
    I've been using the Clever Dripper by Abid more and more, which is a hybrid of a pour over and immersion system; really easy to use and it makes a nice, clean cup of coffee. I'm also using cotton filters after getting frustrated with a box of 100 #4 filters in which 1 out of 4 of the filters broke. I really like the cotton filters -- easy to clean and I never have the "oh crap, I'm out of filters" feeling that would make that precious time before an early morning ride much more stressful than necessary.

I use a Krups burr grinder that someone gave me and that I really appreciate.

And finally, to get a little less OT, I've been using Bicycle Coffee beans almost exclusively of late. The beans are roasted in Oakland and delivered by bicycle. The company has a roasting plant and coffee shop in downtown Oakland, and you can get their beans at the Oakland Whole Foods, but they also have a coffee stand that is transported around to the various farmers markets in town by bike. Pretty rad.
    "So you think it's the hat?... A lot of people hate this hat. It angers a lot of people, just the sight of it." - Uncle Buck

fc
    I have this one.

Amazon.com: Handpresso HPWILD Wild 16-Bar Hand-Pump Portable Espresso Machine: Hand Held Espresso Maker: Kitchen & Dining

Never really use it since it's more for camping and remote locations. One needs a grinder with a very fine grind. It's very well made and works like a shock pump!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails OT: Coffee-714rjewvcul._sl1500_.jpg  

IPA will save America

J-Flo
    Apr 2012
    I've been using a standard french press with boiling water, usually Peet's Mocha Java or one of the Philz dark blends, freshly ground, for years. I might have to try a lower temperature and the Aeropress.

mtbr member
    If your water is boiling, wait for it to sit off heat for 30 secs till about 200 degrees. It will be perfect temp. "Bloom" the grounds with a bit of water and let sit for about 30 secs. The grinds will rise up and kind of look like a volcano for a second. Then start the pour. If you are using a drip cone, try to not hit the sides and pour just enough to start the drip. The most important thing, take time to taste the coffee on your tongue. You'll be amazed how good and how different the flavors are. For fun, try a pour over with Starbucks and you'll see what charcoal tastes like. In all the coffee tastings I have done or participated in, Peets and Starbucks always score super low.

fc
    If your water is boiling, wait for it to sit off heat for 30 secs till about 200 degrees. It will be perfect temp. "Bloom" the grounds with a bit of water and let sit for about 30 secs. The grinds will rise up and kind of look like a volcano for a second. Then start the pour. If you are using a drip cone, try to not hit the sides and pour just enough to start the drip. The most important thing, take time to taste the coffee on your tongue. You'll be amazed how good and how different the flavors are. For fun, try a pour over with Starbucks and you'll see what charcoal tastes like. In all the coffee tastings I have done or participated in, Peets and Starbucks always score super low.
    Great advice pmarshall. Goes with the job huh?

But why you hatin on Peet's?
    IPA will save America

mtbr member
    Peets is fine for most times but lacks any real taste. The guys and gals I work with think I am a dork about coffee since they think Starbucks is the best! I have them try it without cream and sugar and they eyes light up.

fc
    Peets is fine for most times but lacks any real taste. The guys and gals I work with think I am a dork about coffee since they think Starbucks is the best! I have them try it without cream and sugar and they eyes light up.
    Starbucks is good when you mix it with vanilla extract, caramel, whipped cream and sprinkles.
    IPA will save America

mtbr member
    Morning, night time, summer, or winter, I almost never get in the saddle without first enjoying a strong cup of coffee. My coffee is so damn good that I'm usually disappointed when I get coffee at a cafe or coffee shop.

Moka Pot (best $15 I have ever spent)
    Graffeo dark/Italian beans ground daily
    Whole milk
    Homemade vanilla syrup

Iced or a hot latte type thing, but usually iced.

MSH
    mtbr member
    There's no magic to roasting. You're tasting the freshness. For espresso, the blend is very important. Some blends are blended after roasting, versus prior(meaning certain beans in the blend want a certain roast level, different from the other bean(s) in the blend). The monkey is well chosen so that it can be roasted together and yield a nice product with taste and crema.
    The liquid amber is very good and quite different than the monkey.
    https://www.sweetmarias.com/store/co...sso-blend.html

Buy their Behmor roaster
    https://www.sweetmarias.com/store/ro...ster-7301.html

The monkey blend is only $6.25/lb and green beans can sit for years if needed.
    I like to roast 3-4 days worth at a time.

This ^^
    About four yrs ago I started out with a Behmor, which is a great roaster to learn on, but quickly graduated to a Hottop and added thermocouples, so I could have full control and accurately control my desired roast profile on my laptop. As others have stated a popcorn popper is an inexpensive way to try out roasting before you throw down a lot of $.
    There is a wealth of info on sites like home-barista.com in the roasting forum. coffeegeek is good as well, but if you really get into roasting the level of discussion tends to be more in depth/advanced over on home-barista.
    Good sources for greens = Sweet Maria's, Roastmasters, Bodhi Leaf

OT: Coffee-hottop.jpg

I've had a Pliny
    The other thing about the Aero Press is the higher caffeine levels. I think stirring the grounds in the hot water prior to pressing (per the instructions) leaches out more caffeine.

I just had a second cup in 2 hours and can hardly stay in my chair. It's like medicinal coffee.

Let's ride
    Have you tried Peets Sulawesi on a pour over? I've had great luck with that as a store bought bean for non espresso.

bike buster
    I use the Breville YouBrew which uses a burr grinder to grind beans of your choosing just before brewing. Pretty good, except cleanup isn't as easy as an aeropress. But it's more convenient and consistent. Right now, I'm using 100% Kona (if you're in Maui, hit Costco on your way back to the airport - for cheap gas and cheap kona beans!).

Has anyone tried beans from Tico Coffee Roasters in Campbell?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by MSH View Post
    This ^^
    About four yrs ago I started out with a Behmor, which is a great roaster to learn on, but quickly graduated to a Hottop and added thermocouples, so I could have full control and accurately control my desired roast profile on my laptop. As others have stated a popcorn popper is an inexpensive way to try out roasting before you throw down a lot of $.
    There is a wealth of info on sites like home-barista.com in the roasting forum. coffeegeek is good as well, but if you really get into roasting the level of discussion tends to be more in depth/advanced over on home-barista.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Hottop.jpg 
Views:	72 
Size:	114.2 KB 
ID:	987964
    Now that is some Kung-Fu!

fc

Quote Originally Posted by skyno View Post
    Now that is some Kung-Fu!
    Msh is next level. I think he moved to another state since he couldn't find good beans here.
    Last edited by fc; 05-13-2015 at 08:10 PM.
    IPA will save America

Moderator Moderator
    Apr 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by MSH View Post
    This ^^

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Hottop.jpg 
Views:	72 
Size:	114.2 KB 
ID:	987964
    So if I understand the economics of this, your green coffee beans, purchased in reasonable sized lots (5# or so) are a couple dollars less per pound than a cheep grocery store bean, about 1/2 the price of a pound from Peet's, and maybe a 1/3 the price of a premium quality pound. If you figure, on average, you're going to be saving about $5/lb, a $400 roaster would pay for itself after about 80 pounds. Figure a pound and a half a week at my house, that's about a year to pay off the equipment.

Not a bad deal really, particularly if you're drinking better coffee the whole time.

How long do the green beans keep. If you buy larger lots at lower prices will the beans be good for what? 6 days, 6 weeks, 6 months?

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    [QUOTE=fc;11955332] Oscar Nunez from Highnote coffee in Belmont is my sensei.

I thought Highnote was from Woodside?

sftrydr

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    I wondered about that place. I'm working a few blocks down and keep finding myself across the street at Blue Bottle. Do you recommend any particular bean?

fc
    Highnote does indeed have a Woodside address. He dropped this off
    IPA will save America

fading away
    Coffeereview.com
    goodbye cruel world. I am leaving you today.

mtbr member

YUP!

I dont always use butter. But always throw in a tbls of coconut oil

Name:  20150510_091307.jpg
Views: 373
Size:  29.8 KB

Name:  20150510_092512.jpg
Views: 379
Size:  26.2 KB
    Velofix.com for mobile bike repair in Sac

fc
    I got a new tamper. Don't know why i waited. It's expensive, it's heavy and it's got a clutch system like a torque wrench.

OT: Coffee-img_0747.jpg
    IPA will save America

Moderator Moderator
    Now you need a Lyn Weber HG-1 83mm hand grinder.

OT: Coffee-img_9198.jpg

mtbr member
    I have been digging Philz Coffee, the Dancing Water blend. I have a hand grinder and use an AeroPress to make my coffee...makes a tasty cup of coffee. I am not against a coffee pot but if I brew a pot of coffee, I drink a pot of coffee....a cup at a time slows me down to a healthy level of caffeine everyday. I would love to get a espresso machine but I spend to much money on bikes.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    I'm a coffee newb, and not sure how much it matters since I drink with cream and sugar, but I try to make my coffee following the rules. Though, I will admit I have had some coffee that was just undrinkable.
    I use a pour-over cone with a gold mesh filter. I "modified" the cone so it takes approx 2 minutes for 8oz of water to filter through into the cup.

200 degree water to bloom the grounds for a few minutes, then 200 degree water to pour over and allow to drip.

I use pre-ground from various sources (even, gasp, Dunkin Donuts and Folgers). I'm thinking going whole-hog into it for me would be proof of the laws of diminishing returns.
    Or, I'd be totally hooked and spend 45 minutes a day just to have a cup of coffee...

mtbr member
    Jun 2016
    Espresso junkie here. 2 double shots for me per morning is standard.

Setup is a Quickmill Ventrano 2B + a Rancillio Rocky grinder. Just got the machine to replace a 10 year old Quickmill Alexia. Added shot timer, PID, dual boilers. Super quiet and consistent.

For coffee, loving Red Whale Yrgicheffe or espresso blend. Also use Misto Box to try different beans that aren't local. Give them your flavor profile and they send you beans that fit. Not cheap but good way to try new beans.

J-Flo
    Apr 2012
    The Aeropress is a pretty important addition. It comes with me on trips because I can’t take my espresso machine. I had to buy a second one after my son permanently borrowed the first.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    a grand for a hand grinder!?!

Moderator Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by pauly mac View Post
    a grand for a hand grinder!?!
    It's pricey, but's it is arguably one of the finest grinders you can buy, including electric grinders. It is definitely the best single dosing grinder available. 83mm titan class burrs at ultra low rpm makes some of the finest espresso you'll ever taste. The HG-1 can be motorized for about $600 more through an aftermarket company that modifies them. The grinder is the most important piece of equipment in espresso making.

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    This takes drug addiction to another level. Kind of reminds me of the bad old days of gold plated straws and razor blades.

Quote Originally Posted by 5k bike 50cent legs View Post
    It's pricey, but's it is arguably one of the finest grinders you can buy, including electric grinders. It is definitely the best single dosing grinder available. 83mm titan class burrs at ultra low rpm makes some of the finest espresso you'll ever taste. The HG-1 can be motorized for about $600 more through an aftermarket company that modifies them. The grinder is the most important piece of equipment in espresso making.

Moderator Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by pauly mac View Post
    This takes drug addiction to another level. Kind of reminds me of the bad old days of gold plated straws and razor blades.
    Espresso is a potent drug! But so are mountain bikes. Many of my non MTB friends are aghast when I tell them how much a bicycle to ride in the woods costs.

My espresso set up is modest in comparison to many. In fact, very modest. But once you've had one of these, you'll understand the cost.

OT: Coffee-img_9126.jpg

mtbr member
    Sep 2017
    I'm not much of an espresso fan, tbh -- it's tasty, but sort of impractical for the way I like to drink my coffee, in the mornings as I work over the course of 20-30min. My setup is basic, a Bonavita electric kettle, Hario glass pour over, and Hario filters. I have been making pour over coffee basically every day for about 7 years, and I think the most important factors are:
    1. Using good quality, fresh coffee. This is the somewhat expensive part -- I am lucky that I get very excellent Andytown Coffee at a discount. I spend about $40/month on beans still
    2. Using fresh, good-tasting water. I find the tapwater in San Francisco works well when we are not using much groundwater in our tapwater (most of the time it is just water from Hetch Hetchy), but in other places I tend to use water from a Britta filter
    3. Proper technique and timing, including washing the filter initially to remove paper flavor and a good bloom. All in all it should take 2.5-3min to make a cup if your grind and pour timing is dialed
    4. Good burr grinder. A cheap but annoying solution is the Hario hand grinder. I have a Capresso Infinity I got for sale on Amazon for $80 about 3 years ago.

Aeropress is also awesome for camping, travel, or home use -- I used one for a year or so at home, but switched back to normal pour-overs when I got lazy and ran out of Aeropress filters.

sbd
    mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Like a religion every morning.

Good medium roast in the Bona Vita

Mechanical whipped 2% milk and sugar.

Tiny sprinkle of cinnamon.

So good.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

fc
    moar partsOT: Coffee-img_0935.jpg