OT backcountry skiing- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

OT backcountry skiing

It's that time of year again. I missed last year due to having 2 knee surgeries (both knees). So needless to say I'm stoked to get this season under way!
    I don't ski at resorts and I'm deathly afraid of avalanches. I have found that the snow in the Coast Range is very stable. I ski Mendocino National Forest specifically.
    We have a loose group of folks who enjoy skiing/boarding here. We call ourselves the Coastal Crest Snow Patrol.
    If you would like to experience the solitude of the Coast Range in winter, let me know. I'm always looking for partners. I've got the whole month of January off.

Here are some links to some of the various mountains on the menu:

Snow Mountain
    http://thebackcountry.net/bb/viewtop...342&highlight=

Anthony Peak
    http://thebackcountry.net/bb/viewtop...398&highlight=

Black Butte
    http://thebackcountry.net/bb/viewtop...356&highlight=

North Yolla Bolly
    http://thebackcountry.net/bb/viewtop...588&highlight=

Sanhedrin Mountain
    http://thebackcountry.net/bb/viewtop...441&highlight=

And Hull Mountain. This is the mountain with the easiest access and is the closest to my house. I go here more than anywhere else.
    http://thebackcountry.net/bb/viewtop...138&highlight=

mtbr member
    Have you got out this season yet?

Picking up my new rig Friday from the TheBackCountry up in Truckee, Mike is setting me up big time can't wait to start skinning again!

mtbr member
    Not yet. I'm thinking that after this next wave of storms, next week looks like it might be getting deep enough. What days are you available?

mtbr member
    I've always been interested in backcountry, but have never tried it (other than hiking in-bounds / outta bounds in some resorts such as Alpine Meadows).

So some basic questions:

a) Would you take a newbie out? Do I need my own avy beacon, etc., or would you have one/some to lend. What about lessons using them? Or would you recommend backcountry/avalanche safety course first.

b) Snowboarding... that's what I do. Do the riders in your group snow shoe up, boot pack, or use split boards / skins?

I keep on meaning to check out some of the more accessible places for hiking/riding in Tahoe/Truckee area once Spring hits and the snow is stable... just need to find a group or a guide willing to deal with a first-timer.

Coors, the american beer.
    hopefully we get some more snow ... a friend in utah sent me this shot from a couple of days ago

if we keep having such bad seasons i just might have to make a drive to ut or oregon for the good stuff
    AZ has the best mountain bike gathering ever

mtbr member
    Hey Jib

It's a bit thin up here still, I'll probably just do some low angle skiing/touring to get the hang of my new dynafit bindings. Or a little early mourning inbound poaching until the snow pack gets better. I'm not in a hurry to destroy my new gear or get hurt.

8Trak, check out splitboard.com although many around here do post hole or snow shoe with there boards on there back it's pretty slow going and the guys with skins will usually be to impatient to hang around. An Avy class, some book reading and online research will help you find partners. Your Partner is going to want to know that you know how to use a beacon and dig them out if necessary. I think Kirkwood does a backcounty class were they give you basic beacon training and take you out for a couple runs as a possible starting point.
    Last edited by TahoeBC; 12-28-2007 at 01:46 AM.

mtbr member
    Hey 8Track - Hull Mountain would be perfect for you. While certainly not a beginners hill, the lack of avalanche activity and the ability to ski any aspect you want while lapping your slower partners makes Hull a very user-friendly mountain.
    The extremely stable snowpack in the Coast Range(especially the southern portions - where Hull is located) is truly epic. The snow only goes when it's too hot. This is a stupid easy scenario to identify. I don't use my avy beacon at all in the Coast Range. The snow does not fall lightly. It is a super wet cement that smashes any layers that may exist and creates a playground of corn on the steepest of slopes.
    There are times when Hull gets powder. The north side can be the diggity dank of super dry fluff that just hangs in the air. Tree wells are the biggest worry in this situation. Like being swept into one - easy to avoid. But in the 10+ years of skiing Hull, I have never seen any signs of a slide.
    Having explored the Yolla Bolly's - much farther north - I am suspect of the snow stability mid winter up there...not really...maybe...I've only skied up there in the fall/early winter. Access is limited midwinter.

Like TahoeBC said, check out splitboard.com http://209.97.214.134/talk/
    and see what you think. In the mean time, slowshoes - I mean snow shoes would work just fine. You gotta like hikin'!
    Most of the time, the snow on Hull is so dense that the weight of a human will not sink past 2 or 3 inches. I got crampons you can borrow and definetly bring the snow shoes to be prepared for any scenario, they're light. If you can help pay for half the gas then your invited!

-----------------------------------------------------------------
    for the lawyers -
    do not attempt any winter backcountry travel without taking an avy class and know how to use your beacon
    Last edited by jibmaster; 12-28-2007 at 03:06 AM.

mtbr member
    Apr 2005

How High?

How high is Hull Mountain? Where is it?
    I haven't taken my gear out for a couple of years. I purchased some light weight leather back country boots. My terminators are too small and I need to get rid of them. I can no longer ski in them at all.
    I do have some good old Tua Cirque's and some very nice skins though. When I buy my next set of Terminators I will need a good fit and trustworthy outfitter. It's quite an investment and I am already out 500 on one pair of boots. I had an old pair of Super Comps that worked well for awhile but they wore out.
    Maybe later in the year or if it really dumps I will try renting boots again. Until then I'm stuck with the lightweight boots and I have never tried to telemark in them.
    I definitely would be interested in paying for gas though sometime this winter or spring to get out there.

mtbr member
    http://www.peakbagger.com/peak.aspx?pid=1171

Hull Mountain is located on the border of Lake and Mendocino County in the Mendocino National Forest. The summit sits at 6873'. Yes, this is a low elevation to be skiing - hence the firm and stable snowpack. However, the snow falls at a lower elevation in the Coast Range than it does in the Sierra. It is typical to drive up to 5000' - on average.
    The snow depths average around 10 feet. The mountain takes quite a beating when it storms with winds well above 100mph, so the snow gets blown around. 20 foot drifts are common on the upper mountain.
    A 4X4 is required to get there. If your a gutsy driver, you can get to skinnable snow in a subaru, but a higher clearance vehicle is more fun. Half the fun of going to Hull is the 4wheeling. I put my Jeep to good use. It's actually my third Jeep. I've destroyed two of them up there. I like(used to) take chances. My first Jeep I drove into an 8 foot deep river and my second Jeep was totalled by driving too fast on muddy roads and I went right into the woods. I can't believe that my insurance company paid for that! I got it rebuilt and still drive it.
    The beauty of Hull is that it's close to home. I can get from my house to 5000' and back on one tank of gas-barely. One way puts 100 miles on the odometer and takes three hours. I'm 4wheeling 1.5 hours from my house. I can hop on my bike and ride for 30 minutes from my house and can check out views of Snow Mountain and Hull Mountain.
    I can stand on the summit and see the entire Ridge Trail, Mt. St. Helena, the geysers up at Geyserville steaming on a cold morning, Boggs, Mt. Shasta, Lassen, the ocean, snow covered Sierra above Chico/Auburn, Clear Lake etc.
    Hull is very famous with the redneck 4x4 crowd all year and is a hub of activity for hang gliders in the summer. However, nobody skis/rides it 'cept me and socobiker(new member here) and our friends.
    Bear tracks, coyotes, endangered elk hang out down by the lake(Lake Pillsbury) which is popular in the summer for water skiing/fishing. Many car-camping keggers have been done here. Many more to come.
    If you want to ski a peak that maybe only 10 or so people have ever skied, join the Coastal Crest Snow Patrol. I'm always looking for partners to spread the joy of the backcountry with.

mtbr member
    Thanks for the info... I'll try to get some on-mountain experience with a Kirkwood class this season before hitting you guys up for a intro to back country skiing. In terms of my ability level, I'm good with most black diamonds in the Tahoe resorts, though there's some terrain at Alpine and Squaw that I"m not super comfortable on, especially in non-powder conditions.

Any snow in Angwin this morning? (I stayed in the valley)

mtbr member
    Sounds like you'll be very comfortable with the terrain 8Trak.
    No snow up here velocipus. I was hoping, but the precip stopped before it got down to 32/33 degrees.

mtbr member
    Here are some sample shots from my TR's from Hull.

My buddy sirjibalot and my first Jeep with the geysers @ Geyserville steaming at sunrise

One of my favorite summit shots

Hull Mountain(left) and Snow Mountain(right) from the summit of Mt. St. Helena a few years ago

Getting turned around on a deep day. The guy in the pic owns land up there

It's even funner at 3am by myself

The hike up is easy when my buddy jibC shows up with his snowmachine!

mtbr member
    Had a great time on Hull Mountain yesterday. The first day of the season for me.
    Full TR is here -
    http://thebackcountry.net/bb/viewtop...=138&start=100
    - just scroll down to the appropiate date.

There were some on this board who were interested, so I'm linking the TR. I know this isn't a ski sight, so if anyone is interested in going, PM me here or simply register on thebackcountry.net and we can communicate there if the mods here don't want any ski talk on MTBR.

Coors, the american beer.
    the mods aint trippin or they woulda closed my "snowsports thread"

awesome pics and vids by the way
    AZ has the best mountain bike gathering ever

Members who have read this thread: 0