mtbr member
    Nov 2016

OT: anyone surf?

Would like to get back into surfing to balance out lower body workouts from riding with upper body workout with surfing. Anyone have any tips? I've surfed a ton in many places but it's been ten years. Gotta re learn a bit.

3rd Coolest
    All my life...don't worry, its like riding a bike. If you had some skill ten years ago it'll come back. Fitness is another thing, might want to do some push ups/core strengthening exercises before you head out, especially during the winter months when we get some bigger swell, and the currents are strong. Where are you looking to paddle out?

mtbr member
    Nov 2016
    Not sure where to paddle out yet. Been to cowell's and the hook. Once each. Working on getting a board now.

3rd Coolest
    Cool, I'm on the south side of the bay, the hook always gets crowed quick, and cowells can be chaos at times. I always had my best luck finding some shoulder between pleasure point and the hook. If you're not afraid of being out in the water alone, there's miles of excellent beach break between la selva and seaside...I always wanted a fat bike to cruise that stretch of beach scouting the surf.

bad reputation
    Iíve surfed for the last 27 years, but with the attitude in the water these days I tend to ride my bike more & surf less. 10 years ago living on the Westside, Iíd surf the Lane, Indicators, The Point or 3-Mile, 5-6 days a week. Now Iím mid-town & I rarely surf, but when I do itís the Point or 38íth, occasionally Capitola.
    Shoulder problems make it difficult to compete with the 50 other peeps out there, and gone are the days of a lineup as well as any form of respect (unless you surf the same break several times a week for years.)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3rd Coolest
    That's the thing, if I'm surfing a lot, it means I'm not doing much riding, and vise versa...maybe some other folks have a better time balancing things out.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    It's my main hobby.

So much fun when conditions are right and the risk of injury is tiny relative to mtb.

If you're already riding I doubt surfing will do much for your fitness. So much of surfing is just sitting and stink eye

mtbr member
    I surfed every day for a long time and hadn't been in the water at all a bunch of years until 2 weeks ago with kids, work, bike, etc. Out of nowhere I just got really itchy to get in the water and got my hands on a good wetsuit and board.

First - holy sh$t the evolution in wetsuit technology is nuts. Not surprising but man, that was way more pleasant than it used to be.

I just paddled out a few days in a row at Bolinas. Small and cruisy but was able to get some waves pretty quickly. It was really really fun. I was happy there weren't crowds tho cause my paddling was terrible and I don't think I could have gotten out of peoples way if it was busier and there was real swell.

Pacifica and Half Moon Bay Jetty good places to get back in. Same with Bolinas and Cronkite in Marin. Crowds pretty mellow at all those spots.
    Previously known as mttamrnr.

fc
    head minion Administrator
    Where's all the secret spots??

I heard there's many variations of 'local'. As in 'how local are you?'
    IPA will save America

Moderator Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by etuck View Post

First - holy sh$t the evolution in wetsuit technology is nuts. Not surprising but man, that was way more pleasant than it used to be.
    Go to Sawyer and check out their custom wetsuits. Mind will be blown.

3rd Coolest
    Quote Originally Posted by fc View Post
    Where's all the secret spots??

I heard there's many variations of 'local'. As in 'how local are you?'
    I know this a mtb site and all but still....if you don't know, you don't need to know

fc
    head minion Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by langster831 View Post
    I know this a mtb site and all but still....if you don't know, you don't need to know

"where'd you go to grade school???" Wrong answer. Punch!
    IPA will save America

Moderator Moderator
    There's no secret spots anymore. In the words of Biggie, "if you don't know, now you know."

mtbr member
    I've been surfing for about 10 years pretty consistently. When its working, OB is far and away my favorite wave around, but I'll also hit Linda Mar, Fort Cron, or Montara. I usually make it out 1 day a week, and ride 2 days. Making it out to the beach on a weekday from the East Bay is a no go for me nowadays, not worth it to deal with that traffic. Much easier to access the trails. It's usually easy to make the decision between surfing or riding for me. If waves are firing, paddle out. If not, load the bike up! Gotta to take advantage when mother nature is cooperating in the ocean, because the trails will always be there..

mtbr member
    Nov 2016
    Haha. Yeah. Surfing here is much more intimidating than Florida and hawaii. I pretty much just gotta sack up and go but man it's cold. I love riding but I think everyone should have more than one hobby or addiction lol.

mtbr member
    Never have ever. SUP is the closest Iíve come to surfing. I only dirt surf.

Has the surf culture gotten worse as far as turf wars go? Heard some straight up bs fighting stories from a few friends that surf. Also heard the sport is not kind to newbs.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by dchester View Post

Has the surf culture gotten worse as far as turf wars go? Heard some straight up bs fighting stories from a few friends that surf. Also heard the sport is not kind to newbs.
    I donít surf but Iím guessing the first problem is youíre on a SUP.

3rd Coolest

Depends on where you go, I don't think its gotten any worse, more accepting if anything. If you're cool out there and show respect you won't have any problems, but if you're acting like a fool the mob might eat you alive.

Moderator Moderator

I've been surfing in Santa Cruz for a long time. Never had a real problem, little chirping here and there, but that's about it.

mtbr member
    If you want to know what the secret surf spots are, I bet someone has a shirt with all the names.

mtbr member
    I try to balance the riding out with rock climbing and the occasional surfing - but I'm still a pretty lousy surfer and get intimidated in crowded lineups - IMO surfing is so much more difficult than pretty much almost every other sport - some days I come away wanting to just quit and just get a raft b/c I always enjoy just being out in the water - I also think surfing around here is particularly difficult - always do much better when I'm in Hawaii, Mexico, Central America, etc.

Linda Mar seems to be the go-to beginner spot around here, but holy hell it is always so crowded - it is also very finicky - once it starts to get even slightly big, it is close-out city

I find rock climbing is pretty much the perfect complement to mountain biking for me; it really strengthens your core and overall strength esp. grip strength, improves balance and flexibility, and when you are zapped from riding you can still climb and vice-versa - since I started climbing regularly, I pretty much almost never get pumped when descending b/c it is nothing compared to the pump you get climbing

If you ever want to come to Pacifica for a dual-sport (or tri-sport?) day, hit me up - I will often go (try to) surf for a while, then follow-up with an awesome ride, and then sometimes go climb until I collapse - I sleep very well those nights

NRP
    mtbr member
    Sep 2015
    Hey skyno, try kayaking sometime. Easier than surfing, better than a raft. Actually, I've seen people surf a kayak.

Moderator Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by NRP View Post
    Hey skyno, try kayaking sometime. Easier than surfing, better than a raft. Actually, I've seen people surf a kayak.
    Kayaking is an awesome workout.

mtbr member
    Jan 2019
    I used to surf my 11 6' Scrambler, a sit on top. But that was a long time ago, when I was living in another country, under another name.

mtbr member
    While I do love kayaking, especially on a river, but also in the sea and i was serious about liking just being in the water, I was mostly joking about the raft

I have surfed a lot on a SUP and have caught waves on a kayak before, and it is all super fun, but it is definitely not surfing

Also, most people will probably back me up that you are definitely not very welcome out on the waves on a SUP, or a kayak, or even the wrong type of surfboard in some situations - I have heard/made the joke that SUPs are like the E-bikes and Kayaks are like trycicles of the lineup in terms of how they are respected/perceived/accepted - and I hear the argument that who cares what other people think just do your thing, but for me it is not pleasant to be out there when you are not at all welcome, and in a lot of circumstances I totally understand why they are not welcomed

And I'm not knocking any of those things ( SUP, kayak, E-bike, tricycle ) - I enjoy them all they are all fun in their way, but not equivalent

Moderator Moderator
    For SC you will get stink eye on anything much bigger than 7í.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    I took a surf lesson in Huntington Beach in April, got stoked and bought a used Costco foam board when I got back. Scoped out a beginner's spot in Half Moon Bay, and picked the wet suit I was going to buy. Then I bought a new mountain bike in May, and haven't had a time when I'd rather try surfing than ride my bike since then. But with all this rain, maybe that will change. I have terrible balance, plateaued a long time ago on a snowboard at the intermediate level. I can't imagine ever being a decent surfer, but I bet I could enjoy it. The only thing going for me is that I am a strong swimmer. Does anyone ever learn to surf in the cold winter waters of NorCal? HB sure was nice and warm.

3rd Coolest
    Quote Originally Posted by Dopaminer_09 View Post
    I took a surf lesson in Huntington Beach in April, got stoked and bought a used Costco foam board when I got back. Scoped out a beginner's spot in Half Moon Bay, and picked the wet suit I was going to buy. Then I bought a new mountain bike in May, and haven't had a time when I'd rather try surfing than ride my bike since then. But with all this rain, maybe that will change. I have terrible balance, plateaued a long time ago on a snowboard at the intermediate level. I can't imagine ever being a decent surfer, but I bet I could enjoy it. The only thing going for me is that I am a strong swimmer. Does anyone ever learn to surf in the cold winter waters of NorCal? HB sure was nice and warm.
    Sure, you could get started in the winter. Learning to surf could take a lifetime.

You'll have to navigate stronger currents and bigger swell, and the water temp doesn't change too much around here, Its cold in the winter and cold in the summer.

mtbr member
    YES, I surf.
    Just do it. Being in the ocean is almost always fun!
    Lots of good advice already.
    I always believe as long as I am not the MOST kooky of the crowd, everything is fine
    :-)

mtbr member
    I surfed a lot for about 15 years and by far the surf culture in Santa Cruz is the most hostile group I've ever had the displeasure of associating with.

When I started mountain biking I was amazed by how friendly and welcoming everyone is that I've met out on the trail. This includes Santa Cruz!

mtbr member
    Nov 2016
    Yeah surfers are territorial. I've had my car door beat in in hawaii just for parking in a wrong spot.

mtbr member
    Jan 2019
    [QUOTE=skyno;13946334]While I do love kayaking, especially on a river, but also in the sea and i was serious about liking just being in the water, I was mostly joking about the raft

I have surfed a lot on a SUP and have caught waves on a kayak before, and it is all super fun, but it is definitely not surfing

/QUOTE]

I beg to differ. My Scrambler could take a fairly late drop, carve a bottom turn, and get at least half of itself barreled in hollow waves.

As to other surfers, (usually territorial long boarders) who did not like to see me out, I've caught many a set wave among them, only to have them drop in and attempt to push me, only to find themselves swept off their feet "accidentally" by my paddle.
    For the most part, though, I avoided passing out paddle-slaps when in the ocean, and focused on cultivating the state of "Misu no kokuro", or "Mind like water" which I learned about from my teen years' sensei in Shobukan 'karratty'.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    If you want to get in the water, try kiteboarding instead. The launch areas can be a bit crowded, but once you are out there, there's lots of room. Surfing is really a misnomer, after all, around here just how many waves do you actually get to ride in a session? It should really be called floating instead.

mtbr member
    Nov 2016
    Uh huh

Moderator Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Radium View Post

As to other surfers, (usually territorial long boarders) who did not like to see me out, I've caught many a set wave among them, only to have them drop in and attempt to push me, only to find themselves swept off their feet "accidentally" by my paddle.
    For the most part, though, I avoided passing out paddle-slaps when in the ocean, and focused on cultivating the state of "Misu no kokuro", or "Mind like water" which I learned about from my teen years' sensei in Shobukan 'karratty'.
    I DO NOT recommend behaving this way in SC at any serious break.

Moderator Moderator
    [QUOTE=Thor29;13946678 Surfing is really a misnomer, after all, around here just how many waves do you actually get to ride in a session? It should really be called floating instead.[/QUOTE]

At Pleasure Point, as many as you can paddle to.

mtbr member
    Nov 2016
    I like pleasure point but cold and sharky, it seems. Maybe just me.

mtbr member
    Nov 2016
    And I'm not looking for some magical secret spot. Unless its fishing involved

mtbr member

retired and surfing

Just retired and moved to Humboldt County from the Bay Area. New wetsuit....warm! Been surfing at Trinidad...Camel Rock. No crowds, excellent vibe. Been in the ocean for over 40 years. Lame surfer....just good enough not to drown. Surfing a 8'3" and and 9'6".
    Also kayak in the ocean, fish and dive. Will kayak the Smith, Klamath, Mad, Trinity, and Eel. Hitting Stone Lagoon tomorrow with the kayak for the first time, trolling for cutthroat and rainbows.
    Arcata Redwood Forest for Mt. Biking....the mt. bike park at Blue Lake is too rowdy for me. Paradise Royal is about 90 minutes away.
    First picture is Camel Rock...I think it can hold a 10' wave. Second is my daughter and friend at Camel Rock...excellent spot! The Jetty at Eureka can hold a 18' wave went conditions are good. Send me a post card for that.
    Somebody had me an IPA! Ron
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails OT: anyone surf?-img_1230.jpg  

OT: anyone surf?-img_1255.jpg  

Moderator Moderator
    ^^^ That is awesome! Tell us about Trinidad? You like it there? +/- vs the Bay Area.

Moderator Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Azflyfishing View Post
    I like pleasure point but cold and sharky, it seems. Maybe just me.
    There are three things you'll have to come to terms with if you're going to be a NorCal waterman: 1. It is cold, 2. The ocean here is very rough, 3. There are sharks!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Thor29 View Post
    If you want to get in the water, try kiteboarding instead. The launch areas can be a bit crowded, but once you are out there, there's lots of room. Surfing is really a misnomer, after all, around here just how many waves do you actually get to ride in a session? It should really be called floating instead.
    I have been fascinated with kiteboarding since I saw it for the 1st time in Kailua about 20 years ago - I thought that it looked like the funnest thing in the world - my brother and I found a nearby surf shop that had kiteboarding equipment and asked if we could rent - they laughed at us - the thing that has always stopped my from trying it is the extreme power of a kite flying so far away from you - it just seems so easy to hurt yourself or somebody else until you really master it and I'm not sure I want the responsibility - I can watch it for days though

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    For kiteboarding you definitely need to take lessons and you will likely not be going up wind until a decent amount of practice (which then involves a "walk of shame" back up the beach upwind). The good news is that equipment has gotten safer with kite shapes that will depower significantly more when the bar is released and better safety ejection systems.

mtbr member
    Jan 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by 5k bike 50cent legs View Post
    I DO NOT recommend behaving this way in SC at any serious break.
    I avoid conflict like the plague, but if somebody lays a hand (or a board) on me, It's on.
    That said, I don't go anywhere where there is a chance of conflict. Somebody might get hurt, but it won't be me. I just don't need the karma, anymore. I got tons of that stuff already.

used to be RipRoar
    Quote Originally Posted by Radium View Post
    I avoid conflict like the plague, but if somebody lays a hand (or a board) on me, It's on.
    That said, I don't go anywhere where there is a chance of conflict. Somebody might get hurt, but it won't be me. I just don't need the karma, anymore. I got tons of that stuff already.
    hmm.

Kiting requires full commitment to the sport. Don't think you can teach yourself and put others in harm's way.

First you gotta learn to fly a kite. Get a 1-2 m trainer 2-3 line, fly the crap out of it you'll need at least 15mph, don't fly it in 30+.
    2 line is fine as well. Watch videos, practice loops, fly it until your the master in high winds.

Got board skills? If no, go wakeboarding, these skills will transfer nicely. Learn to get up from a slower speed.. Ify you have good board skills your much much better off in learning to kite.

Now your ready for a lesson. Find a reputable instructor. I highly recommend Nat Lincoln, Sherman Island in summer, Baja in winter.

Learn ALL safety aspects, watch videos, know WTF your doing. Immerse yourself into safety of the sport.

Now spend $$ on lessons, don't buy gear until you know what your doing. You'll most likey buy a brand you learned on.

Once your cut loose spend money on down winders, where a boat takes you up wind, you kite back. Work on going up wind until you can! Once you can sail up wind your getting close to being able to handle a crowded beach launch.

Absolutely don't fuk around and put others and yourself in harm's way, learn to be a solid respected kiter, help others, keep an eye open for issues before they happen, always have a plan A,B,C.

Hope this helps, kiting is amazing and you can ride into your old age.

Peace.

mtbr member
    Jan 2019
    I'm sure kiting is a blast, but where I live there's just not enough wind on a daily basis.
    Same goes for racing fast sailboats like the Inter. 505 or the Flying Dutchman. Planing conditions just don't occur every day, like they do in the Bay area.

Moderator Moderator
    OB going off like a rocket this morning.

mtbr member
    Nov 2016
    Found a 6'9 7s fish with 43 l of volume. Sounds perfect for my size. Thinking bout picking it up

Moderator Moderator
    Found a 6'9 7s fish with 43 l of volume. Sounds perfect for my size. Thinking bout picking it up
    Maker? Price?

mtbr member
    Nov 2016
    7s surfboards. New is 450. Used 300

Moderator Moderator
    7s surfboards. New is 450. Used 300
    Check out:

https://surfboardsbymicheljunod.com/

mtbr member
    Nov 2016
    Nice. But way outta my price range. Been looking at used boards on craigslist and around town. Time to sack up and get out there.

Moderator Moderator
    Nice. But way outta my price range. Been looking at used boards on craigslist and around town. Time to sack up and get out there.
    Maybe find a used Arrow, tons of them in SC. Junod has a nice used 6'6" on his website.

mtbr member
    Nov 2016
    Cowells has the one I like new and as a rental. So I can demo it first. I just need to get out there on a smaller day. I rode a longboard when I first got here. Was fun but would like to go back to where I left off last. Or maybe a fun shape. Modern surfboards makes a nice hybrid called the love child. Looks good too and around same price.

Moderator Moderator
    It's a personal thing, but I prefer a fiberglass board over a pop out.

mtbr member
    How big/ tall are you? That's a huge fish. I'm 5'9 160lbs, and my fish measures 5'8 with around 31-32 l. My short boards have around 28 l depending. The best part of a fish is it allows you to ride them super short while allowing you to catch waves easily and giving more maneuverability than a bigger board.

3rd Coolest
    Indeed, could be a battle trying to duck dive that thing.

mtbr member
    Nov 2016
    5'11 and bout 190 lbs. More volume needed for beer weight lol. Last good board I had in Oahu was a 6'10 fish. I frickin loved that thing.

Moderator Moderator