One Week + Best of Tahoe- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

One Week + Best of Tahoe

Hi everyone.
    Next week I will be in the Tahoe area for a week + of riding.
    I have done some research, but there is sooo much to choose from, and there is no better way than to get advice from locals and people who often ride the Tahoe Trails.

My question is, What would be the best place / town to use as a base to get a great week of trails?... and what are the Trails that I must not miss.

I hope I am not too late for Tahoe.. I know late September can be pretty white up high.

I hope I get some feedback, and I really appreciate everyone's time.

Thanks in advance.

de P

mtbr member
    My vote goes to South Lake. Must do:

Toads
    Bench (TRT Kingsbury side)
    Stagecoach to Armstrong or Toads

After you do those rides:

Out and Back from Big Meadow to PCT and down Xmas
    Flume (Start at Mt. Rose if you can)

If you want to shuttle or want more climbing at the end of the day check out Connector, Corral and Sidewinder. Climb the paved Fountain Place Rd.
    Last edited by nutballchamp; 09-15-2010 at 09:47 PM.

Singletrack Addict!!!
    I'll be up there Friday after Interbike. I'm planning Downieville friday, Tahoe Sat and N* Sunday... and I wish I could stay longer...

I've been to the flume in the past, beautifull!!! Can someone give directions to Toads? I'd like to do the way down on it and then or before, have some regular xc with my wife, for what I've seen she will not be very fund of Toads.

How's the kingsbury trail, how to directions? Any bike shop around that I can get maps and supplies from?

Thanks!

R

OOOOOOOh Gee Are Eee
    What do you consider a good days ride? If you can hack it and have a little support you can ride a big chunk of the TRT plus Toads over a three day period.

mtbr dismember

Several good ones

I like South Lake Tahoe. I you haven't been to Tahoe The Flume Trail is a must just for the scenery. It is pretty easy but there are many ways to include it in much longer/tougher rides. Plenty of photos, maps, videos, etc. on my site. The Punisher is a great ride that ends up going down Toads. Mt. Rose to Burger-Kingsbury (video and GPS below) is my current favorite. I'm very slow so cut that time about in half. Be advised that rides that begin at Mt. Rose (Tahoe Meadows) can only be ridden on even days.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by dePaulus
    Hi everyone.
    Next week I will be in the Tahoe area for a week + of riding.
    I have done some research, but there is sooo much to choose from, and there is no better way than to get advice from locals and people who often ride the Tahoe Trails.

My question is, What would be the best place / town to use as a base to get a great week of trails?... and what are the Trails that I must not miss.

I hope I am not too late for Tahoe.. I know late September can be pretty white up high.

I hope I get some feedback, and I really appreciate everyone's time.

Thanks in advance.

de P
    In 5 days you could easily do all of the 100 something bike legal miles of the TRT and then some (if you're Sean Allen you would do it in one day). It would require some logistics (shuttles), unless you camp out on the trail (which is actually rather enjoyable), or you could alternately stay a few days on the north shore and a few days on the south shore.
    September is the perfect time btw.

mtbr member
    With 5 days, I'd set up 2 base areas.

2 days in Downieville
    3 days in Lake Tahoe, probably south.

What kind of riding are you mostly into? a day at Northstar might be fun as well.

NedwannaB

Watta Bike in Myers

Quote Originally Posted by Relayden
    I'll be up there Friday after Interbike. I'm planning Downieville friday, Tahoe Sat and N* Sunday... and I wish I could stay longer...

I've been to the flume in the past, beautifull!!! Can someone give directions to Toads? I'd like to do the way down on it and then or before, have some regular xc with my wife, for what I've seen she will not be very fund of Toads.

How's the kingsbury trail, how to directions? Any bike shop around that I can get maps and supplies from?

Thanks!

R
    South of the Y on 50. Toads is right near there off Pioneer Trail/Oniedas Rd. After Toads, you can shuttle coral w wife.

http://wattabike.com

Kingsberry? Depending on your better halfs riding, probably best to do an out and back from Spooner Summit/Hmy 50 up to the bench/Genoa Peak.
    Ripley V1 XC/Gravel Adventure rig
    Ripley V4 UpDowncountry rig

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by JMac47
    South of the Y on 50. Toads is right near there off Pioneer Trail/Oniedas Rd. After Toads, you can shuttle coral w wife.

http://wattabike.com

Kingsberry? Depending on your better halfs riding, probably best to do an out and back from Spooner Summit/Hmy 50 up to the bench/Genoa Peak.
    Hey Jeff,

Photo's of the weekend bro!????

Craig and I had a blst on Toads!

"Cappy"

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    Do you want fast xc? Technical xc? Downhill? Do you have someone to shuttle you to locations?

I like the long technical xc rides so my vote is to set up in S. Lake Tahoe and do the following:
    Toad's. Depending on how long you want to ride there are many options. Since you don't know the area I wouldn't recommend Stagecoach to Toad's. That might be longer than what you are looking for. You could do Armstrong to Toad's or Luther to Toad's or Big Meadow to Toads.
    The flume out and back from Spooner. Or if you want a loop then the Flume over the Red House trail and back. I love the Flume via Rose, but it's a pain getting someone to drop you off all the way out there from S. Lake.
    Spooner to Kingsbury via the bench.
    Armstrong/ Armstrong Connect/ Corral/ Trout Creek

The beauty about most of these rides is you can just have someone drop you off and then you can ride back to where you are staying.

mtbr member

Thanks everyone for your advise, it seems that South Tahoe gets the most votes.. so I'll probably head there... Can anyone suggest which town would be the best bet to uses as a base? I am very flexible and have a shuttle if needed

Also, what would be my best bet on a map / book of the rides in that area?

Thanks again everyone.. I really appreciate it.. if we meet on the trails, the beer is on me.( after the ride of course)

mtbr member

Thanks everyone for your advise, it seems that South Tahoe gets the most votes.. so I'll probably head there... Can anyone suggest which town would be the best bet to uses as a base? I am very flexible and have a shuttle if needed

Also, what would be my best bet on a map / book of the rides in that area?

Thanks again everyone.. I really appreciate it.. if we meet on the trails, the beer is on me.( after the ride of course)
    My favorite map which you can get at Sports Ltd. and Watta bike shop near the bottom of Toads.

http://www.adventuremaps.net/lake_tahoe_trail_map

Best guide book:

http://www.amazon.com/Mountain-Bikin...4693292&sr=8-1

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    I would use S. Lake Tahoe as a base. Lots of lodging, food, trail options.

Any bike shop will have the recreation map for the Tahoe Basin. It's great. It has all of the rides on there. Only thing it doesn't have is the new section of rim trail on the top of Kingsbury.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    I live in Tahoe City. There is tooons of riding all around, most that you have never heard of.
    You will notice that nearly every response on here is listing many of the same trails.

Skip the Flume if you want a good ride. It is unparalleled in its scenery, but not much of a "great ride."

Check out Donner Summit, great stuff up there. If you are here for a week +, go to Downeville. Its one of the few places Tahoe Locals will drop and rally to leave here for. Only 1.5 hrs from tahoe city, 1 hr from Truckee.

Tyrolian DH on Mt Rose is a great shuttle. Mt Rose Meadows to the TRT to Chimney Beach is another great ride.

If you are interested in seeing some good trails to loop together on the West Shore, PM me. May even be willing to meet up with you. In all, ya cant go wrong! Its all really good!!!

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Mooseknuckler
    Skip the Flume if you want a good ride. It is unparalleled in its scenery, but not much of a "great ride."
    I don't want to get into any little arguments, but I do disagree on the Flume. It is a great ride. Not only is it beautiful, but I find it is the one ride I have seen the most wildlife: porcupines, deer, grouse, rubber boas etc... It's also one of the few rides where you can grind out over 20 miles in a short period of time. The rest of the longer distance rides around are technical and will eat up more of your day.
    Last edited by amydalayna; 09-18-2010 at 08:37 PM. Reason: rubber boas not rubber boats

mtbr dismember

I agree

Quote Originally Posted by amydalayna
    I don't want to get into any little arguments, but I do disagree on the Flume. It is a great ride. ...
    As I said above: "If you haven't been to Tahoe The Flume Trail is a must just for the scenery. It is pretty easy but there are many ways to include it in much longer/tougher rides." For a first timer at Tahoe The Flume Trail is quite a sight.

NedwannaB

I agree

I don't want to get into any little arguments, but I do disagree on the Flume. It is a great ride. Not only is it beautiful, but I find it is the one ride I have seen the most wildlife: porcupines, deer, grouse, rubber boats etc... It's also one of the few rides where you can grind out over 20 miles in a short period of time. The rest of the longer distance rides around are technical and will eat up more of your day.
    It's picturesque!
    Attached Images Attached Images  

mtbr member
    It's picturesque!

Nice Rotor!

mtbr member
    Thanks a million people... you guys are great.
    It's clear that there too many trails to choose from for just one week, so I will spend 12 days exploring...

6 days South and 6 days north??

** On a second note, every year October I spend about 5 weeks at Moab, I stay at the Moab Rim, and every last weekend of October a huge group of Tahoe Mtb'ers come and stay.. Anyone here part of that group?... Gotta luv the Tahoe Crowd!!

Please keep the advice coming...

NedwannaB

New career choice please!

so I will spend 12 days exploring...

** On a second note, every year October I spend about 5 weeks at Moab, I stay at the Moab Rim

Please keep the advice coming...
    Just how do you get time to do all these trips?....Any tips??.........

Thx in advance,

JMac

NedwannaB

Not mine.....

Quote Originally Posted by nutballchamp
    Nice Rotor!
    .......ride buddies. I aSSume you know where that pic was taken though. Have a better one of complete bike w/ the sw shore in backround but hadn't resized it to throw on here.

NedwannaB

Our ride intin last wknd:

Quote Originally Posted by nutballchamp
    My vote goes to South Lake. Must do:

Toads
    Bench (TRT Kingsbury side)
    Stagecoach to Armstrong or Toads

After you do those rides:

Out and Back from Big Meadow to PCT and down Xmas
    Flume (Start at Mt. Rose if you can)

If you want to shuttle or want more climbing at the end of the day check out Connector, Corral and Sidewinder. Climb the paved Fountain Place Rd.
    HITG on the way up Thurs
    Fri: MT Rose-TRT-Flume-Marlette-CB down to hwy. Oh yah!
    Sat: Oniedas-Armstrong-Toads-*Connector-Corral-Sidewinder (*we shuttled this... )

Awesome weekend of riding w/ a group of 14 at HITG, 12 the rest of time! All happily crammed in one badazz house just off the beach in Zephyr Cove. Doubt you'd get that many gals workin it out iin same sitcheeation.

mtbr member
    Just how do you get time to do all these trips?....Any tips??.........

Thx in advance,

JMac
    I wish I had some tips JMac.. It helps to have lots of good luck, and be able to "flip the bird' at the 9-5 rat race and the clutches of society.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009

Smile hmmmm

I don't want to get into any little arguments, but I do disagree on the Flume. It is a great ride. Not only is it beautiful, but I find it is the one ride I have seen the most wildlife: porcupines, deer, grouse, rubber boats etc... It's also one of the few rides where you can grind out over 20 miles in a short period of time. The rest of the longer distance rides around are technical and will eat up more of your day.
    no argument at all. in fact I was thinking about this comment today while riding and started laughing out loud. in my opinion, i dont think the flume is a "great ride" and is very popular because of its scenery (as i originally stated.) where i find the humor is in your "disagreement." you simply confirmed exactly what i said. its beautiful, and has an abundance of wildlife. none the less, the flume is THE CLASSIC Tahoe ride. however, the actual flume is an approx 11 mile "flat" non technical trail. if you want scenery and wildlife, rent a bike in TC, ride it 2.5 miles down the trail to Sunnyside, have a cpl SS Refreshes at the bar, and check out the abundance of Cougars on the deck!

Members who have read this thread: 0