my legs are sore

Old Colma Road, Pacifica

Old Colma Road, Pacifica-old_colma.jpg

I've been riding this trail quite a bit over the last few months since it's so close to home and doesn't get muddy. This picture is from Sunday afternoon after that monsoon we had on Saturday. Aside from some mud in the usual places on the way there, Old Colma was 99% dry.

While it's pretty much an out-n-back, there are a few variations along the way. (although some are better than others) You can see all the trails pretty clearly on Google Earth. Beware, parts of this trail are a PO fest. Pre-treat or cover skin accordingly.
    Every time you clog a toilet you have exceeded someone's expectations.

Over it
    Jun 2010
    Nice! I haven't done anything on the ocean side there. That looks pretty fun.
    The broken are the more evolved. Rejoice.

OOOOOOOh Gee Are Eee
    Ooo. This looks very nice. Do you have a strava link or a map?

Obi
    -_-
    Oct 2005

my legs are sore
    Terrible MS Paint map:
    https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/..._Colma_map.jpg

Up Old San Pedro Rd to Saddle
    Turn north onto ridge, pass bench overlooking ocean
    Continue on ridge (red) up switchbacks, eventually reaching small meadow
    Turn left, take short downhill (purple)
    Turn right (pink) and follow trail down. The last 1/4 mile of this trail has a lot of PO. I usually turn around at the Miles Todd cliff. (you'll know it when you see it)
    Follow trail back up to junction.
    Take trail to your right (yellow)
    When you get back up to the ridge (red) you can ride over to the Shamrock Ranch trail (other yellow trail at top of page) Careful of your speed and watch for horses on this trail!
    This horse trail takes you down to a gate by the Coastal Trail (old Hwy 1) There is a detour around the gate so you can go for a quick spin on the Coastal Trail and enjoy the views if you want.
    Return to Pacifica via Hwy 1 or back the way you came

There is one other section of trail in black. It has some steep switchbacks and hike-a-bike sections. I didn't enjoy it that much but YMMV.

Oh, yeah, and at the end of the Old Colma road if you climb up to the top of the hill that overlooks the drainage field, you might still be able to make out a trail that ends at Montara State Beach. Haven't been on it in a while. Might require some bushwacking now.
    Last edited by Rick O'Shay; 03-08-2016 at 10:25 AM.

Over it
    Jun 2010
    ^^ That's awesome, thanks, Rick! I like the look of that black trail. I've passed it a number of times and always wondered, "Hmmm!" Spring is going to go OFF out there for the next few months.
    Last edited by dirtvert; 03-08-2016 at 07:39 PM.
    The broken are the more evolved. Rejoice.

sftrydr
    Friendly aside,
    Much of the trail pictured is on private property(Yellow line shows Shamrock Ranch property).
    Please remember riders,if you are unable to stop completely within 5-10 feet w/o skidding when encountering others ,you are going too fast on m/u trails.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Old Colma Road, Pacifica-12742307_1685145645035424_2825026053642385352_n.jpg  

OOOOOOOh Gee Are Eee
    The map is great. How long are these trails? They look pretty short.

I think I've heard some people talking about a trail with big jumps and drops near Pacifica, maybe that's what the black trail is here?

my legs are sore
    The trails are short. Starting and ending at the Higgins gate will give you something like 10 miles. Maybe 2 more if you double-back and ride the black trail too. It's not a destination, but a good alternative if you are nearby and prefer to avoid the mud. Oh, and the scenery isn't half-bad too.

Pacifica may have some trails as you describe, however this is somewhat of a sensitive subject. As Ssuljim says, much of this land is private property and he's worked hard to ensure bikes continue to have access to these areas. Please ride it responsibly.

mtbr member
    Nov 2018

Old Colma Road/Ohlone Heritage Trail

Caltrans has now blocked the north end of Old Colma Road at the north end of the Devil's Slide Trail. The last 20 acres before the Devil's Slide Trail are owned by Caltrans. The justification is that they are protecting areas around the north end of the tunnel that have been replanted. Don't go down into the valley where there are wetlands and replanted areas. Most of the rangers on the Devil's Slide Trail won't give you a ticket for jumping the fence, but a few will. A ticket is only around $25 so well worth the risk.

Old Colma Road is also part of the proposed Ohlone/Portolá Heritage Trail. We have to fight to keep this open as it has been used since the mid 1800s and an easement exists although it has yet to be recorded. There is no easement for public land but County Supervisor Don Horsley (Dist 3) was the sponsor of the Ohlone Heritage Trail. Both his staff and CA Senator Jerry Hill are interested in shepherding negotiations with Caltrans to keep it open.

Let your elected representative know you support this part of the trail staying open.

mtbr member
    I'd love to see some work done on this trail as the views are phenomenal and it's a really fun descent on the south side (never ridden the north side). It can be a P.O. and pricker nightmare and there are some sketchy sections where the trail has slid and the exposure is a bit eye opening. Love to see it readopted and fixed up. Not sure how I can help in terms of voting as I don't live down there, but would like to hear about trail work opportunities if they ever come back.

sftrydr
    Friendly edit.
    The Ohlone/Portolá Heritage Trail(OPHT) currently doesn't include this trail.
    This trail is connected to the green Valley tr on the south end.
    The Green Valley tr is under consideration for public access by the San Mateo Co Parks dept,Calif St Parks,Caltrans.
    Here is the followup from Green Valley public outreach mtng that I attended in 2015:
    https://parks.smcgov.org/sites/parks...ion-080615.pdf
    OPHT overview:
    https://parks.smcgov.org/ohlone-port...-trail-project
    Lastly,I'll reiterate that most of the Old Colma-Half Moon Bay rd is on private property(Shamrock Ranch-see at pic)
    Shamrock staff have not ,so far, installed fencing or even signage.
    imo,it's mainly due to all of us riders,runners,hikers being overly courteous when encountering the occasional horseback rider.
    Please keep it up,our excellent manners are our best feature when rolling on coastal trails.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Old Colma Road, Pacifica-screen-shot-2018-11-06-5.51.42-am.jpg  

Old Colma Road, Pacifica-217b18265777bb3981b2bf49ce0df07e.jpg.max800.jpg  

mtbr member
    Nov 2018
    You are correct. I didn't look at the Ohlone map close enough. Thanks for the Green Mountain map that shows the dead end at the southern border of Shamrock Ranch. Colma Road has been open since the 1800s and we should fight to keep it that way. I'll notify the elected reps of my mistake and urge them to continue the fight for access.

mtbr member
    Nov 2018
    I live near there, can someone link me to the Strava?