Old Cabin Classic 2019 Registation is Open- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jul 2013

Old Cabin Classic 2019 Registation is Open

Registration opened for Old Cabin Classic 2019 (race on May 4th at Wilder Ranch in Santa Cruz) yesterday evening. There are already over 450 entries, so don't delay if you are interested.

https://www.bikereg.com/old-cabin-classic

mtbr member
    I'm in! Expert 40+. Missed last year but looking forward to it!
    Previously known as mttamrnr.

Hella Olde
    Dope event graphics, but 23 miles of XC is a No for me. Respect to those who say Yes.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    The beginner race is much shorter and while it may not seem like the best ride at Wilder, it's actually a pretty good race course. The flat part at the beginning allows people to sort out, and while it skips Enchanted, it hits some very good single track. I've come to think that the "wrong-way" downhill on Old Cabin trail is the very best piece of single track at Wilder. It has a swoopy descent that is very fun. The beginner race skips the long hill back to the top of the park as well :-)

Hella Olde
    "Beginner" though. Been racing for 20+ years. Can't do it. I just need more gravity-assist. I'm OK with climbing but not in a race situation. Enduro is no problem.

Flat Pluto Society
    $90. Lol.
    Hogan Lake blog. A section of Hogan Lake trails here.

Hella Olde
    Quote Originally Posted by Finch Platte View Post
    $90. Lol.
    That's what a lot of races cawst these days.

Flat Pluto Society
    Quote Originally Posted by DH40 View Post
    That's what a lot of races cawst these days.
    Cawrayzee.
    Hogan Lake blog. A section of Hogan Lake trails here.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Well, you could pay $169 to ski at Squaw, or $124 at Disneyland, and you wouldn't get a t-shirt, two beers and lunch... not to mention the pleasure of your legs locking up in cramps at the end of the Long Meadow climb.

Professional Troll
    Quote Originally Posted by Finch Platte View Post
    Cawrayzee.
    Not at all. Considering what MBoSC do with the money.

Up In Smoke
    Sold out!

Hella Olde
    Quote Originally Posted by Train Wreck View Post
    Sold out!

Good work, racers!

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by form49b View Post
    Well, you could pay $169 to ski at Squaw, or $124 at Disneyland, and you wouldn't get a t-shirt, two beers and lunch... not to mention the pleasure of your legs locking up in cramps at the end of the Long Meadow climb.
    and $15 goes directly to trail work at Wilder.

Moderator Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by form49b View Post
    You can get lunch and two beers at Squaw, for about $150.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    It cost me about $50 to fill up my gas tank

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by DH40 View Post
    Dope event graphics, but 23 miles of XC is a No for me. Respect to those who say Yes.
    same. I'm just not up for that kind of punishment these days. But I'll happily show up, support the racers, have a couple beers, listen to some good music, and just hang out with a great group of bike-lovin' folks.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Vintage class - Old man on an old steel hardtail.

fc
    head minion Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by Train Wreck View Post
    Sold out!
    Inspiring!!
    IPA will save America

mtbr member
    I loved this race last year and like a fool missed reg this year. Men's expert 40-49, if anyone wants to pity a fool and knows someone who needs to get rid of their reg, think of me! Thanks

Uncle
    I'm in: pretty-old Sport class. I have like 6 weeks to prepare and no time on a bike, and about an extra 12lbs or so that appeared after my son was born. This is going to be fun.

mtbr member
    Apr 2019
    I'm looking for an entry, if anyone wants to sell...

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    They just opened up 20 more spots. See link in first post.

Hella Olde
    Maybe a new post about this was in order - but here's a Bump anyway.....

They just opened up 20 more spots. See link in first post.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    I think those new spots they opened today have now sold out. Everything shows closed now.

Mtn View, CA
    The race was good. They surprised us by letting us be the first to ride the new Engelsman singletrack. They did an amazing job with it. They closed it after the race to let it settle before it is officially opened. My son and i were both last in our categories but the number one goal was to finish. We even went faster than our preride last week so he was excited about that. Having other kids right behind or ahead gave him some motivation. He technically beat me by 6 mins because my category started before his and I waited for him just after the start. I told my wife it was both my worst and best race. It was my worst finish but I raced alongside him in his first race and we crossed the line together.
    I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass... and I'm all out of bubblegum.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    It was very cool that they opened the new singletrack for the race. It's a great addition to Wilder. Thanks to all those who worked on it and supported MBOSC to build it.

I was a beneficiary of the split in groups this year. Last year there was just a Sport 50+ category, but this year those people were split across 50-54, 55-59 and 60+. I finished 6th out of 30 finishers (33 entries) in the 55-59 group. I crashed pretty hard on the Wilder Ridge fire road coming down from Twin Oaks. There are some parts of if that have always scared me and I lost traction somewhere. I must have over-corrected and ended up sliding on my side. I have a pretty big gash in my elbow and another on my hip. I was able to get up and finish. My left leg cramped badly when I crashed and it took me a couple minutes to figure out how to get back on the bike!

My time was two minutes slower than last year but when I compared the new course to the old, I saw that the new singletrack took about two minutes longer to ride than the old fire road, so it's pretty much a wash even with the crash. I was faster on the coast and on the long climb this year, but slower on Baldwin and Enchanted.

A friend of mine had a worse crash near where the Eucalyptus Fire Road comes down to the top of Enchanted. He was briefly knocked out and taken out in an ambulance. He is okay now.

mtbr member
    Congrats! Racing with your son is so rad!

I was out there. Hung with the lead expert group about half way up the first big climb then got dropped before enchanted. Ended up between 10th and 15th. It was basically a solo time trial after Old Cabin. That climb up Long Meadow was terrible.

And I have poison oak. But - that is now my favorite XC race with Annadel off the books. Downieville doesn't count - its in its own category!

I did do it on a brand new Yeti SB100 and it ripped!

M8 M12 M15 deez nuts
    Quote Originally Posted by gddyap View Post
    They surprised us by letting us be the first to ride the new Engelsman singletrack.
    Sort of. We were allowed to ride it two Fridays ago during the 1/2 course (unfortunately not the full 27 miles) MBOSC pre-ride, before the rocky water drainage section was covered with dirt.

I had fun riding the wrong bike, but some on-course fiascos (including improperly marked/taped sections along the bluff route) saw me lose many spots. But Iíll take 24th out of 58; would have been nice to have pre-ridden the entire course, as I was flying blind on most of the second half of the course.
    Donít frail and blow if youíre going to Braille and Flow.

default title
    Mar 2008
    Sort of a random request - if anyone knows the name / etc of the custom Ti mountain bike raced at OCC. The guy said it was his own design. Wheat..something..on the downtube ? I should have taken a pic. I got to look at a lot of awesome bikes but this was not the typical XC Ti hardtail.

An awesome event. Thanks for your understanding if you got stuck in line for bike valet (or food..or drink..but I wasn't volunteering for those).
    "My opinions are often more offensive than my *******." - Twindaddy

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    I got another random request/question. Anybody else get food poisoning post race? Out of the six of us that went to the race, four of us came down with some sort of food poisoning or stomach virus. Odd thing is that the symptoms didn't really show until Sunday night, which doesn't seem to line up with the OCC being the source. Not to name names, but we all ate at the mexican food truck at the event. Awesome event none the less!

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by K9-Usurper View Post
    I got another random request/question. Anybody else get food poisoning post race? Out of the six of us that went to the race, four of us came down with some sort of food poisoning or stomach virus. Odd thing is that the symptoms didn't really show until Sunday night, which doesn't seem to line up with the OCC being the source. Not to name names, but we all ate at the mexican food truck at the event. Awesome event none the less!
    My wife and I got sick on Sunday night. We know of others who also got sick on Sunday. Everyone who I know that got sick ate at the same place as you and your friends. The event organizer is in contact with the County Environmental Health office. We were advised to file a report here:

http://scceh.com/Home/FoodborneIllnessReportForm.aspx

Hope you are recovering well.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

M8 M12 M15 deez nuts
    I ate at that truck too (carnitas tacos, which were quite tasty), but did not get food poisoningÖ until late Sunday afternoon around 6:00PM, but everything points to a different food truck that was at the Trail Head Cyclery demo day event at Santa Teresa County park (I did not eat breakfast beforehand, and only had tacos from the taco truck on Sunday at the demo event), and then my son (who also ate the tacos, yet had breakfast prior to the demo) had food poisoning many hours later. Up late all night puking oneís guts out before having to go to work the next day on only 2.5 hours of sleep really sucks.

Food poisoning sucks! Itís part of the reason I rarely eat food made by others; I trust my own filth Ė itís never made me sick.

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    Everyone I know got sick at the same time you did on Sunday. We all had very similar symptoms and we all ate from the same vendor.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Leopold Porkstacker View Post
    I ate at that truck too (carnitas tacos, which were quite tasty), but did not get food poisoningÖ until late Sunday afternoon around 6:00PM, but everything points to a different food truck that was at the Trail Head Cyclery demo day event at Santa Teresa County park (I did not eat breakfast beforehand, and only had tacos from the taco truck on Sunday at the demo event), and then my son (who also ate the tacos, yet had breakfast prior to the demo) had food poisoning many hours later. Up late all night puking oneís guts out before having to go to work the next day on only 2.5 hours of sleep really sucks.

Food poisoning sucks! Itís part of the reason I rarely eat food made by others; I trust my own filth Ė itís never made me sick.
    Hey Porkstacker - Another possibility to consider is that your son may have contracted the bacterial or food borne pathogen from you.

https://www.consumerreports.org/food...stead-of-food/

mtbr member
    Nov 2015
    Makes perfect sense now, my son got sick sunday night also. He was the only one that ate tacos at the food truck.

Up In Smoke
    Roach coach!!

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Oxidizer View Post
    Everyone I know got sick at the same time you did on Sunday. We all had very similar symptoms and we all ate from the same vendor.

I had the tacos al pastor from the Old Cabin truck, including the spicy chipotle salsa and escabeche they had out. I didn't go to the TH demo this year. Sunday night I felt bad, not full food poisoning, but felt urpy and crampy Monday-Tuesday, finally cleared up last night.

Could have been someone with dirty hands handling the various salsa bottles, etc and not the food itself - damn people not washing hands! They had good tacos!

rj2
    mtbr member
    I got sick Sunday night as well, but I had the smoked brisket. I also had one of their draft beers.
    We take care of your technology needs so you can focus on what's important.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    I got sick Sunday night too. Quesadilla from the taco truck. I had a horrible Sunday night with very vivid dreams. I took off work on Monday and slept all day. I thought it might have been a 24 hour flu or my dinner at BJ's Sunday night. I am glad I am not infectious.

mtbr member
    Nov 2015
    Old Cabin Classic FB page has link to food sickness issue and links to report.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by count_on_mike View Post
    I got sick Sunday night too. Quesadilla from the taco truck. I had a horrible Sunday night with very vivid dreams. I took off work on Monday and slept all day. I thought it might have been a 24 hour flu or my dinner at BJ's Sunday night. I am glad I am not infectious.
    Did you have any of the salsas? I'm thinking it was one of us dirty racers and all of the handling of the various bottles of salsa that did us in. Doesn't seem contagious as none of the other folks in my household, none of who attended the race, got sick fortunately.

rj2
    mtbr member
    From the Santa Cruz Old Cabin Classic Facebook page
    1 hr ∑
    We've had a number of people report food sickness following Saturday's event. We are so sorry if this impacted you! We are working with the County to track this and help them determine the source. If you or anybody you know suffered from food sickness symptoms, please report this directly with the County at your earliest convenience. They would like to know exactly what you ate, your symptoms, time of onset, duration, etc.
    REPORT VIA PHONE: 831-454-2022
    REPORT VIA EMAIL: env.hlth@santacruzcounty.us
    REPORT ONLINE: Foodborne Illness Report Form

I had the brisket and their draft beer

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    No Salsas. I was disappointed with the smallness of the Quesadilla and just left to eat it. It was the Carne Asada Quesadilla.

Uncle
    Add another to the list of Sunday illness. Wife used my tickets to get 3 different tacos, and I ate two of them. She didn't get ill Sunday but I sure did. Haven't been that kind of sick in over a decade, and though I'm way better now, I'm still recovering from it tonight (in is back to normal, out is still off a bit).

I have no idea if she added any salsa. It crossed my mind that it could have been the ice for the cocktails, but I know most of y'all went for beer so safe to rule that out at this point.

rj2
    mtbr member
    Sick or not, please complete the survey

https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/ZP8J2CJ

Three Wheeler Expert
    Ate the chicken sandwich and drank draft beers, none of my crew got sick. Awesome race and super great vibes!
    SEND IT TO THE MOON!!!!!!!!

M8 M12 M15 deez nuts
    Hey Porkstacker - Another possibility to consider is that your son may have contracted the bacterial or food borne pathogen from you.

https://www.consumerreports.org/food...stead-of-food/
    Thanks, but given the divorce and they live with their mother, itís 100% impossible.

mtbr member
    Jan 2018
    Last year I raced. This year I took photos. It was such a different perspective to watch everyone else riding.

Editing the photos I noticed that almost everyone (I can think of 3 who weren't happy yet; the day was young) was stoked and happy. And it looked to me like the happiness increased a little bit the later they arrived at my location on Baldwin climb. Beginners > sport > experts. The junior riders were too varied to characterize.

I think MBOSC doesn't completely realize what they have created. Their publicity materials make it about the pro and expert riders. Which is fine, but when I look at a photo of a beginner class rider who's clearly prepared and practiced and is making a move to pass the riders who were blocking her up the single track climb, I find it as moving as anything that was happening in the low number-plate groups.

And somehow MBOSC didn't upload my photos properly and are so far incapable of fixing it. About 140 are missing from Baldwin climb set. So I've put the complete set, with the Eucalyptus Loop descent photos too, online myself at https://flic.kr/s/aHskUtp4Eo . If you didn't find yourself in the 438 photos in MBOSC's set, try the 579 (from Baldwin) and the ~60 later photos here.

If you didn't notice (because there is no direct link that I could find), MBOSC uploaded @mthomasphoto's very nice drone and other photos to https://flic.kr/s/aHsmB4bkEz .

M8 M12 M15 deez nuts
    Not one picture of the retard on the fatbike.

mtbr member
    Jan 2018
    Last edited by nsd20463; 1 Week Ago at 08:06 PM. Reason: numbers are hard

mtbr member
    May 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by kattrap View Post
    Sort of a random request - if anyone knows the name / etc of the custom Ti mountain bike raced at OCC. The guy said it was his own design. Wheat..something..on the downtube ? I should have taken a pic. I got to look at a lot of awesome bikes but this was not the typical XC Ti hardtail.

An awesome event. Thanks for your understanding if you got stuck in line for bike valet (or food..or drink..but I wasn't volunteering for those).
    Response to random request! That might have been me, two people asked about my bike. It was kind of loud so you might have misheard me. The bike was not my own design. I have a Kingdom Vendetta X2. It's awesome and I love it. If I am mistaken I apologize. Pic from one of the generous photographers on course: Old Cabin Classic 2019 Registation is Open-46883828895_59314c8330_h.jpg

M8 M12 M15 deez nuts
    Quote Originally Posted by nsd20463 View Post
    Ahh yesÖ making up places (from the sand pit fiasco on the bluff) on the first climb. Good stuff!

mtbr member
    Thanks for being out there!

default title
    Mar 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Gnarden View Post
    Response to random request! That might have been me, two people asked about my bike. It was kind of loud so you might have misheard me. The bike was not my own design. I have a Kingdom Vendetta X2. It's awesome and I love it. If I am mistaken I apologize.
    Nope, wasn't you but I went through the flickr album and found him. 671 - Walter Wheatfall https://www.instagram.com/WheatfallCycles/
    "My opinions are often more offensive than my *******." - Twindaddy