mtbr member
    Dec 2018

Off leash, dog friendly mtb trails in norcal?

Hi, I am driving down from Vancouver in a few weeks and I want to do some riding along the way but I have my pup with me and I was hoping people could recommend some fun trails that are dog friendly? I was looking at Santa Cruz and noticed that dogs weren't allowed off leash in many of the parks.

Not helpful.
    Quote Originally Posted by gavster View Post
    Hi, I am driving down from Vancouver in a few weeks and I want to do some riding along the way but I have my pup with me and I was hoping people could recommend some fun trails that are dog friendly? I was looking at Santa Cruz and noticed that dogs weren't allowed off leash in many of the parks.
    I take my dog to the trails near Hogan Lake all the time. Trails there are perfect for dogs, as long as her paws are acclimated to rocky terrain. Hogan might be a little out of the way for you, though- it's near Valley Springs, east of Lodi.

But on the off chance you want to give it a try, pm me and Endo & I can guide you.

Off leash, dog friendly mtb trails in norcal?-1-hogan-001.jpg

Off leash, dog friendly mtb trails in norcal?-img_4597.jpg

https://www.google.com/search?q=hogan+lake&ie=&oe=

https://www.recreation.gov/camping/gateways/476
    Last edited by Finch Platte; 1 Week Ago at 07:44 AM.
    What's wrong with him??

mtbr member
    South Fork of the Yuba River near Nevada City is a good place for dogs. Ideal for riding this time of year too. Look for the details on MTB Project.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Off leash, dog friendly mtb trails in norcal?-b52d0a45-a607-4ad4-a5ed-783ad44ce7de.jpg  

Formerly dvo
    Fort Ord has off leash areas that could be really good when you are here.
    I'm the problem....

jms
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mtbrdan View Post
    Fort Ord has off leash areas that could be really good when you are here.
    Yep! Best dog trails in the area! Beginning @ the "Happy Trails" trailheads off Eighth and Giggling. Definitely "Stunt Mutt" approved

UCSC side of Empire Grade near Twin Gates is a great area. Scotts Valley trails off of Graham Hill Rd. and Lockwood Ln.

Off leash, dog friendly mtb trails in norcal?-fullsizeoutput_1.jpg

Butano Fire Rd @ Cloverdale
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Off leash, dog friendly mtb trails in norcal?-img_6809.jpg  

My Favorite Peeps:

Not helpful.
    Gravity dog!
    What's wrong with him??

Ariolimax columbianus
    it's CA, folks don't really follow rules tightly. if your dog's chill and has excellent recall you can bend rules in most places.

mtbr member
    If you ride during the week day in Santa Cruz I would say bring your dog is perfectly fine. Yesterday I saw just as many dogs as I did bikers.

On weekends that place turns into zoo and Iím wouldnít recommend riding with a dog. Even though people still do.

mtbr member
    Auburn State Recreation Area takes off lease dog violations seriously and it is a $300 fine.

jms
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Yahooo View Post
    Auburn State Recreation Area takes off lease dog violations seriously and it is a $300 fine.
    Yow! What total fun suckers.
    My Favorite Peeps:

Not helpful.
    Quote Originally Posted by jms View Post
    That's what you get for leasing and not buying.
    What's wrong with him??

mtbr member
    Feb 2018
    Assuming you'll be driving down the I5, there a couple of good options well before you hit the Bay Area. There is lots of riding around Redding, CA. A word of caution, some of the trails may still be closed due to the Carr Fire. You could try calling the Whiskeytown National Recreation Area office for details as you get closer to your travel date.

https://www.mtbproject.com/directory...reater-redding
    https://www.trailforks.com/region/mu...creation-area/
    Swasey Recreation Area | Shasta Dogs

If you are willing, take an hour detour at Redding to check out Weaverville Basin in Weaverville, CA.

https://www.trailforks.com/region/weaverville-basin/
    https://www.mtbproject.com/directory...n-trail-system

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    My dog and I had a good time on the Gateway trails in Mt Shasta (town) -- easy access from I5.

https://www.mtbproject.com/trail/701...way-trail-loop
    Live to Ride, Ride to Live

Moderator Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Finch Platte View Post
    That's what you get for leasing and not buying.
    Depends on the residual value of the dog. I have a couple dogs I wouldn't mind turning in after a the lease is up!

I see tons of trail dogs in SC.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by RBoardman View Post
    If you ride during the week day in Santa Cruz I would say bring your dog is perfectly fine. Yesterday I saw just as many dogs as I did bikers.

On weekends that place turns into zoo and Iím wouldnít recommend riding with a dog. Even though people still do.
    It's actually a double ticket around UC - one for having a dog there and a second for having the dog off-leash. Each are ~250. Also, your dog will be absolute covered in poison oak, so buyer beware. That area is a very frustrating place to be if you have a dog - Tahoe and northern CA are great, just not anything near the Bay.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by BraapTastic View Post
    It's actually a double ticket around UC - one for having a dog there and a second for having the dog off-leash. Each are ~250. Also, your dog will be absolute covered in poison oak, so buyer beware. That area is a very frustrating place to be if you have a dog - Tahoe and northern CA are great, just not anything near the Bay.
    Also going to get a ticket for being on illegal trails at that point...

mtbr member
    If you're coming to Marin, let me know and I will tell you of a couple good ones. I would treat your dog for ticks first though. I think I pulled at least 50 of my dogs yesterday.
    I'm sick of all the Irish stereotypes, as soon as I finish this beer I"m punching someone

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by RBoardman View Post
    Also going to get a ticket for being on illegal trails at that point...
    I've watched them written...for two dogs...in the Rincon lot. Was a tech at our vet even! 1k in tickets, cha-ching! No bikes involved.

Not helpful.
    Quote Originally Posted by sfgiantsfan View Post
    If you're coming to Marin, let me know and I will tell you of a couple good ones. I would treat your dog for ticks first though. I think I pulled at least 50 of my dogs yesterday.
    Yeah, so not worth it.
    What's wrong with him??

Elitest thrill junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by jms View Post
    I know, how the hell are we going to get poop on the trail without dogs?
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by BraapTastic View Post
    I've watched them written...for two dogs...in the Rincon lot. Was a tech at our vet even! 1k in tickets, cha-ching! No bikes involved.
    Never would have guessed with the amount of dogs I see out there on weekdays. Good to know I suppose.

mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    The Rincon lot is part of Cowell and those rangers aren't playing around. I've heard of somebody getting a ticket for walking up from the tracks with a beer.

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    South Fork of the Yuba River near Nevada City is a good place for dogs. Ideal for riding this time of year too. Look for the details on MTB Project.
    Awesome dog--is it an airedale? We had one when I was a kid and I've always wondered if they would make a good trail dog.

To the OP--Tahoe may be too out of the way, but I've brought my german shepherd there the last few years and found lots of great trails that were dog-friendly
    Last edited by drich; 1 Week Ago at 11:07 PM.

mtbr member
    Oct 2018
    Wow, that fine is pretty "ruff".
    It would probably be a good place. I've seen video from Auburn and have ridden one section of trail one time.

Quote Originally Posted by AlanMS View Post
    Assuming you'll be driving down the I5, there a couple of good options well before you hit the Bay Area. There is lots of riding around Redding, CA. A word of caution, some of the trails may still be closed due to the Carr Fire. You could try calling the Whiskeytown National Recreation Area office for details as you get closer to your travel date.

https://www.mtbproject.com/directory...reater-redding
    https://www.trailforks.com/region/mu...creation-area/
    Swasey Recreation Area | Shasta Dogs

If you are willing, take an hour detour at Redding to check out Weaverville Basin in Weaverville, CA.

https://www.trailforks.com/region/weaverville-basin/
    https://www.mtbproject.com/directory...n-trail-system
    The Redding trails are open. Whiskeytown remains closed with exception to one area that announced being open just yesterday.

Quote Originally Posted by Brah View Post
    My dog and I had a good time on the Gateway trails in Mt Shasta (town) -- easy access from I5.

https://www.mtbproject.com/trail/701...way-trail-loop
    Gateway trails are fun. You definitely need a map. I guess that is true of all unfamiliar places though. But weather is now a factor, Gateway may be under snow, or have patchy snow right now.

__________________________________________________ _____
    I'm not sure of dog friendly trails, but Ashland Oregon has trails They may be snowy too. Further north in Oregon has some neat trail systems from videos I've seen. A bit north of Ashland in Grants Pass offers some trail systems. If I had to guess (I am guessing) that community may be dog friendly with trails.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by drich View Post
    Awesome dog--is it an airedale? We had one when I was a kid and I've always wondered if they would make a good trail dog.
    Hank is an Airdale and is a great trail dog. He always stays out of the way of bikes even in the creek crossings where heís having a drink and looking for a pool to swim. I didnít have to train him to do that. He hauls ass on the trails too- itís super fun to ride with him but because all the no dog trails he rarely gets to go- only on the S Yuba.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Off leash, dog friendly mtb trails in norcal?-dae123fa-f7f6-4537-ac25-877a8443554f.jpg  

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    Our long deceased pit bull petunia loved the south yuba. At the first site or smell of that river she would bolt for the water off piste, like down a cliff, demanding loads of yelling for her to stop. A couple of crazy hobo miners or bad weed growers out of Washington packing heat always kept it interesting.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    I like to take my dog to Braille Trail at Demo. There are two miles of pavement, but after that the trails are mostly one way which is safe. Itís 12 miles, 2000 feet. Great trail.

Sequel Demonstration Forest is the official name.

I have also taken my dog to UCSC in Santa Cruz. Go early or go on a weekday. Riders are of all levels and the number of two way trails might be trouble. I am sure you shouldnít have dogs there but you technically canít ride there (most of the trails anyway) but hundreds of people do.

If riding UCSC I park on Golf Club drive in SC because there is less traffic and thus safer for the dog.

Also, if you are taking hwy 1 down, Kings Range is awesome. No people, federal land, great trails, and no one to give you grief about your dog.

Good luck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    Hank is an Airdale and is a great trail dog. He always stays out of the way of bikes even in the creek crossings where heís having a drink and looking for a pool to swim. I didnít have to train him to do that. He hauls ass on the trails too- itís super fun to ride with him but because all the no dog trails he rarely gets to go- only on the S Yuba.
    Hank looks like a very cool trail dog! There may be an Airedale in my future.

mtbr member
    Dec 2018
    Amazing thanks for the info