Oct 4-10, 2019 Weekly Ride Stories- Mtbr.com
    Moderator Moderator

Oct 4-10, 2019 Weekly Ride Stories

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Oct 4-10, 2019 Weekly Ride Stories-img_2764.jpg  

orthonormal
    I'm excited for my first ride in a long time. My wife had a procedure called a high tibial osteotomy performed about 7 weeks ago in the hope that it will let her avoid knee replacement surgery for another 20 years or so. We don't have family in the area and both kids are off at college so I've been her caretaker in addition to my job. She still has a bunch of metal sticking out of her leg but she can finally get herself around well enough that I can take off for a ride without arranging for someone to be at the house to help her. I'm just going to ride the Sand Hills trails from home for ~90 min tomorrow morning. Not the big SC thrill ride but it's a great place to get back in shape and there are some hidden goodies out there.

I'm going to enjoy it while I can. We're scheduling her other leg for mid-December when the kids will be coming home for Winter break. I hate to mess up their break but I need the help the first few weeks post-op. After that, I probably won't get out again until late Feb.
    The glass is twice as large as it needs to be

mtbr member
    I've joined Roughster on the couch. Last Saturday I hit the drop by Serpentine trail at Tamo way on the left side, which is higher and it was super windy. . .and I lost it. And I guess I hit the sweet spot.

Clavicle broken into 4 pieces
    5 fractured ribs
    Fractured Scapula
    Very small pneumothorax (punctured lung)

3 days in the hospital due to the pneumo. I opted for the surgey and titanium plate to fix my clavicle. Self healing would take twice as long and my clavicle would be 1 inch shorter permanently. If you ever snap your collarbone in half, I'd go with the plate. I already have partial functionality of my bunk arm and the ribs hurt worse than the operation site. Broken ribs suck, holy God. The pneumo is self healing so far.

After I wrecked I hit Roughster up right away to get his feedback. Which was a great albeit convenient/unfortunate resource. He helped me decide to go with the plate. And someone to commiserate with. Those first few days are rough and it was good to have someone to talk me off the cliff a bit. And someone who totally gets it. My wife, not so much. She's been really great but clearly over me hurting myself on the bike.

So now the slow path to recovery.

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk

Moderator Moderator
    Man, you and Roughster are racking up some serious beauty marks. Hope you heal up fast. Looks like you've had some other work on that same shoulder at some point.

Caca pasa
    Good god, y'all. PM sended.
    "합니다 행사에서 디비 판매 합니다 관련해" Lesleybien

Hogan Lake blog. A section of Hogan Lake trails here.

Caca pasa
    Quote Originally Posted by andy f View Post
    I'm excited for my first ride in a long time. My wife had a procedure called a high tibial osteotomy performed about 7 weeks ago in the hope that it will let her avoid knee replacement surgery for another 20 years or so. We don't have family in the area and both kids are off at college so I've been her caretaker in addition to my job. She still has a bunch of metal sticking out of her leg but she can finally get herself around well enough that I can take off for a ride without arranging for someone to be at the house to help her. I'm just going to ride the Sand Hills trails from home for ~90 min tomorrow morning. Not the big SC thrill ride but it's a great place to get back in shape and there are some hidden goodies out there.

I'm going to enjoy it while I can. We're scheduling her other leg for mid-December when the kids will be coming home for Winter break. I hate to mess up their break but I need the help the first few weeks post-op. After that, I probably won't get out again until late Feb.
    Andy- good luck to you and your wife. I wish her good healing vibes, and to you as well. Sounds like you need to get out!
    "합니다 행사에서 디비 판매 합니다 관련해" Lesleybien

Hogan Lake blog. A section of Hogan Lake trails here.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mstrkrft69 View Post
    I've joined Roughster on the couch. Last Saturday I hit the drop by Serpentine trail at Tamo way on the left side, which is higher and it was super windy. . .and I lost it. And I guess I hit the sweet spot.
    Looks familiar! I am starting to work on range of motion slight stretches as directed by my Dr.

I start physical therapy next week which will also focus on range of motion. The swelling has come down quite a bit, but still some pretty intense pains when I lift my arm "shoulder high". I am hoping it is not indicative of soft tissue damage aka rotator cuff / labrum, but Dr. said wouldn't do MRI until after the clavicle heals anyways.

4 more weeks minimum before they expect the bones to be healed / fused to the plate. I am not looking forward to October
    2019 Canyon Strive CF 8
    2018 Trek Farley Ex 8
    2015 Salsa Bucksaw 2

mtbr member
    Perfect weather on the peninsula for riding. Warm/sunny and no wind. Usually it is windy/cold with the fog rolling in.

Over it
    Jun 2010
    n/m
    Last edited by dirtvert; 10-06-2019 at 08:38 AM.
    Ladies and gentlemen, take my advice--pull down your pants and slide on the ice.

mtbr member
    Sep 2017
    In Truckee for the weekend. First time riding in North Lake. Didn't get in until around 3:30 on Friday, so I rode Jackass and some of the stuff higher up the mountain. I also had a chance to ride the super fun new downhill run parallel to Jackass (I'm really confused about what this is called; official name is A-1 it seems but locals were calling it Donkey Kong?), amazing trail construction out there across the board.

Oct 4-10, 2019 Weekly Ride Stories-30f4c78a-16b8-4127-8d8c-cfb758d3cac8.jpg

Yesterday I did a big loop on the rim trail starting in Tahoe City -- rode down the road a bit, up to TRT, over Painted Rock, and down Glass Mountain. A little ice and snow (less than 100ft total I'd say) on the way up Painted Rock. The descent down Painted Rock was fantastic -- it doesn't really compare to Jackass stuff as that is purpose built for bikes, but it was still amazingly fun and flowy.

Oct 4-10, 2019 Weekly Ride Stories-7b85f7df-ff14-45d6-8653-de1f1015202f.jpg

Big Chief is the target for today.

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    Oct 4-10, 2019 Weekly Ride Stories-785942b3-feff-4be1-8406-64048ad5138f.jpg

I avoided the usual way down from UC and hit old cabin and the englesman re route. It was a very pleasant change of pace. Living in Aptos i rarely get past Nisene and glad I did.
    There was maybe 4 cars in the parking lot on golf links at 3:30 when I left up Emma.

Great job on the englesman reroute from mbosc, and the ride back on the road was not even that bad. I have ridden wilder maybe 2 times, with the exception of one trail, in the past 5 years. That is probably going to change.

Moderator Moderator
    ^^^ The new Englesman reroute and Old Cabin are sweet, sweet trails.

mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    I rode Nisene yesterday afternoon. Met a sizable group of locals at Sand Point that were on the final stretch of an annual ride. They had started on Hwy 35 above Half Moon Bay, pieced together s/t over to Summit Rd., then went up around Demo and down to Aptos (70ish miles/10K). I showed a handful of them the fun way to get to Beer30. It was honor to ride on their coattails!
    Ride fast. Huck bravely. Waste no beer. Safety third.

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    I also rode Jackass for the first time today (twice). Had lots of fun on it.

Rode Sawtooth, Upper & Lower Big Chief on Saturday for the 2nd time. Rode it better the first time when I was "blind." Think the elevation starts sapping me quicker when above 6k'.

Have to give props to the trail elves up there, impressed by both the diversity and quality of the trail construction.

mtbr member
    Conditions were beautiful on Tam yesterday.

Oct 4-10, 2019 Weekly Ride Stories-img_3492-copy.jpg

At least until coming around the mountain to where you could see the American Fire.

Oct 4-10, 2019 Weekly Ride Stories-img_3493-copy.jpg

orthonormal
    Quote Originally Posted by Callender View Post
    I rode Nisene yesterday afternoon. Met a sizable group of locals at Sand Point that were on the final stretch of an annual ride. They had started on Hwy 35 above Half Moon Bay, pieced together s/t over to Summit Rd., then went up around Demo and down to Aptos (70ish miles/10K). I showed a handful of them the fun way to get to Beer30. It was honor to ride on their coattails!
    Fun way to Beer30? This is something I must learn.
    The glass is twice as large as it needs to be

mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    4 Day's in Ashland Oregon for this guy. Mom-Nature delivered once again up there with insanely good conditions for Saturday's CES Finale.

All the brown-pow was shredded and the race went off without a hitch like usual.

Local (Salinas) ripper Dillon Santos took 2nd behind local-legend (Ashland) Nathan Riddle in a back-n-forth race.

Good times had by all. If you haven't been, GO.
    "There's two kinds of people in this world - Walkers and Talkers." Which one are you?

mtbr member
    There were a bunch of ambulance/rescue vehicles at the bottom of the poop chute yesterday around 12:45. Not good.

mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by andy f View Post
    Fun way to Beer30? This is something I must learn.
    I'm actually more of a burgerdot (burger.) man, but I could definitely show you sometime! I'll shoot you a pm tonight.
    Ride fast. Huck bravely. Waste no beer. Safety third.

Moderator Moderator
    I only eat meat 5 days per year. Today was a meat day. KFC is the nectar of the gods!

Trail Gnome
    Looks like a white-trash pick nick...

Moderator Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by griz View Post
    Looks like a white-trash pick nick...
    Well, I did grow up in North Carolina.

Trail Gnome
    ^^^

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Auto vs Bike?

Quote Originally Posted by TheMachinist View Post
    There were a bunch of ambulance/rescue vehicles at the bottom of the poop chute yesterday around 12:45. Not good.

mtbr member
    Dr. gave me the okay to do some light hiking, so decided to do some self analysis / investigation. Headed up to the scene of the crime since it is only about 1 mile from my house:

Oct 4-10, 2019 Weekly Ride Stories-scene-crime.jpg

Sorry I know the photos severely over-exposed, just wanted to get the contrast at the corner. The week before the accident, I cleaned up the long fairly steep entrance chute which made coming into the top of the half pipe with a lot of speed easy.

The day of the crash, I went out before work and weed whacked and raked the entire half pipe include the top entrance turn. This is important as there was some star thistle crowding the inside edge of the turn that I weed whacked level opening up in essence a lower inside entrance. This becomes important to me since I think I found why I crashed at a spot I have literally ridding a hundred times.

Oct 4-10, 2019 Weekly Ride Stories-scene-crime-mark-up.jpg

The green arrow is my path. The blue arrow is the "normal" trail and entrance. The red line is a ridge about 5-6" in height that is hard and used to be the inside edge of the entrance. With the weed whacking the morning of, it gives the opening turn a much more open feel and puts the ridge dead smack in the middle of the turning radius.

As you can see following the green arc, I think I entered the top entrance crossing from below the red ridge up to the "normal" blue line carrying a little more speed than I normally would.

I believe what happened is I clipped or skipped down the red ridge and my front wheel washed / spiked right after I initiated my right hand turn / lean somewhere around the magenta star. Given the wheel turn, I think I ended up going OTB at the top and basically noes diving straight down the entrance chute.

If it all played out like this, and this is closely aligning to my memories, I would've fell about 8 feet (vertical drop) in the air landing straight on my right shoulder where the trail completes the right hand turn and is horizontal. This is where I ended up for sure as I sat on that section of the trail while I tried to come to terms with the pain in my shoulder.

Not sure why but I really have been itching to get up there and look at it. It felt good to see it again and give myself a chance to hopefully better understand why I crashed. I really wish there was video

I will definitely be removing the red ridge and probably banking / in-cutting the entrance turn to allow a more natural carry of the new speed from the cleaned up chute leading to the half pipe.

I start PT this Friday and am itching to get riding again, but still have a few weeks before the bone is healed. No riding until that happens for sure! Tom Petty said it best:

2019 Canyon Strive CF 8
    2018 Trek Farley Ex 8
    2015 Salsa Bucksaw 2

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Roughster, thanks for the detailed report. How fast were you going when you went down?

I hope you are healing well.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Ouch dude.

My last fall about two months ago was due to a somewhat similar ridge. There's a rock on one of the main trails in GB that is fun to air off of. Not big. Center of the trail. People ride around on both sides. I didn't realize that the ridearounds had developed a ridge in the landing that was bigger than I expected as the summer wore on. Landed wheels on one side while leaning a bit too far toward the other. Slid out sideways. Thankfully wasn't going super fast.

Heal up man.

mtbr member
    Going back to Strava it's really easy to see where the crash occurred.

Oct 4-10, 2019 Weekly Ride Stories-speed-crash.jpg

13.6 mph. I think my speed contributed to the crash, aka why it occurred, but the impact I think came more from the fact that I basically launched into open air in a steep chute and then accelerated vertically at 9.8 m/S^2!

This picture from last year captures the setup and steepness of the entrance. I basically launched from where I am in that picture to end of the initial arc.

Oct 4-10, 2019 Weekly Ride Stories-chute-entrance.jpg
    2019 Canyon Strive CF 8
    2018 Trek Farley Ex 8
    2015 Salsa Bucksaw 2

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by roughster View Post
    Going back to Strava it's really easy to see where the crash occurred.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Speed crash.jpg 
Views:	38 
Size:	39.0 KB 
ID:	1285047

13.6 mph. I think my speed contributed to the crash, aka why it occurred, but the impact I think came more from the fact that I basically launched into open air in a steep chute and then accelerated vertically at 9.8 m/S^2!

This picture from last year captures the setup and steepness of the entrance. I basically launched from where I am in that picture to end of the initial arc.

Name:	chute entrance.jpg 
Views:	35 
Size:	164.8 KB 
ID:	1285051
    Amazing analysis. It made me cringe to read with my own flashbacks jumping in, but I can see how if you washed out your wheel to the left, that would set you up perfectly to land on your right side.

I have no idea what ultimately took me out but I do know that I hit the drop at a point I'd never hit it at before, which was higher and further left. I'm pretty sure there's a little kicker on that side too. I was going too fast, it was super windy and the landing was flat. I ended up in the grass so there's a chance I landed off the trail, maybe. And it had to happen really fast because I had no time to put my hand out. Not a scuff anywhere else on my body.

Looks like I could hike in there from a nearby neighborhood to analyze. My ridelog got erased because I never stopped it after the wreck. . . .

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk

Moderator Moderator
    Hitting the ground while accelerating at 9.8 m/S^2 is the cause of many injuries.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dopaminer_09 View Post
    Auto vs Bike?
    There were no people around, so I assume they hiked up the trail to rescue somebody who got hurt on the hill.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by 5k bike 50cent legs View Post
    Hitting the ground while accelerating at 9.8 m/S^2 is the cause of many injuries.
    This is true!

Since my shoulder is pretty sore from yesterday’s big adventure, I decided to work on my sons bike with some minor “bling” upgrades. I put on a new x10 Ti chain, gold Wake bars, and Orange grips. This is added to the gold valve stem caps and gold pedals. I’ve got a gold saddle and gold headset spacer set on the way. Debating gold brake rotors...

Evidentially, broken collarbones are the devils playthings!

Oct 4-10, 2019 Weekly Ride Stories-01f7f15b-4d6e-4fd5-abbd-2dee0d8ea4d6.jpeg
    2019 Canyon Strive CF 8
    2018 Trek Farley Ex 8
    2015 Salsa Bucksaw 2

Moderator Moderator
    The best liqueur I've ever had. From northern Italy, smuggled in!

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Oct 4-10, 2019 Weekly Ride Stories-img_2798.jpg  

Life's a Garden, dig it!
    I rode Annadel on Sunday and took my Homegrown hardtail out instead of my old SweetSpot. While climbing on Canyon, I encountered a guy coming down toward me. As he got closer, I noticed he was on a '97/'98 Schwinn Sweetspot. I thought, "Cool, I'm not the only one". 100 yards up the trail, I encountered a woman coming down towards me and she was on a '99/'00 Bassboat Orange Sweetspot.

I've never seen anyone riding these bikes, since they were deemed to be unrideable almost 20 years ago. Now, I know of three that are ridden in my own back yard.
    "And crawling on the planet's face, some insects called, The Human Race..."

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by roughster View Post
    ...carrying a little more speed than I normally would.

I believe what happened is I clipped or skipped down the red ridge and my front wheel washed / spiked right after I initiated my right hand turn / lean ...
    Took a downhill turn too fast for the lack of traction in the dried out NorCal conditions and broke a bone... sorry man, I did this a couple times recently, and I wish you a speedy recovery. Hopefully your bones will heal and you won't have to wait on tendon/ligament healing slowness.

Nice analysis.

More pie please

Report from the field...

Windy Hill OSP, closed:

Mindego Hill, Russian Ridge OSP, closed:

White Oak Trail, Monte Bello OSP, trailwork:

(That is as close to paving the trail as you can get :-/ )
    Long live long rides

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by rafekett View Post
    In Truckee for the weekend. First time riding in North Lake. Didn't get in until around 3:30 on Friday, so I rode Jackass and some of the stuff higher up the mountain. I also had a chance to ride the super fun new downhill run parallel to Jackass (I'm really confused about what this is called; official name is A-1 it seems but locals were calling it Donkey Kong?), amazing trail construction out there across the board.

Name:	30F4C78A-16B8-4127-8D8C-CFB758D3CAC8.jpg 
Views:	41 
Size:	455.5 KB 
ID:	1284497

Yesterday I did a big loop on the rim trail starting in Tahoe City -- rode down the road a bit, up to TRT, over Painted Rock, and down Glass Mountain. A little ice and snow (less than 100ft total I'd say) on the way up Painted Rock. The descent down Painted Rock was fantastic -- it doesn't really compare to Jackass stuff as that is purpose built for bikes, but it was still amazingly fun and flowy.

Name:	7B85F7DF-FF14-45D6-8653-DE1F1015202F.jpg 
Views:	36 
Size:	345.9 KB 
ID:	1284495

Big Chief is the target for today.
    I will have to explore some of that

Sent from my GM1915 using Tapatalk
    Instagram/Youtube- Dagonger
    Yeti Cycles sb45c/sb150

mtbr member
    Got in a UC lap this morning..perfect weather. Decent conditions surprisingly not much dust..

Sent from my GM1915 using Tapatalk
    Instagram/Youtube- Dagonger
    Yeti Cycles sb45c/sb150