Oct 18-24, 2019 Weekly Ride Stories- Mtbr.com
    Moderator Moderator

Oct 18-24, 2019 Weekly Ride Stories

Colder weather is upon us. New winter riding suit.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Oct 18-24, 2019 Weekly Ride Stories-img_2803.jpg  

fc
    head minion Administrator
    Was dreading climbing this bike at Santa Teresa but had to do it. A couple laps on the steeeeeps. Really amazing on the rocks.

i have a video somewhere.....
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Oct 18-24, 2019 Weekly Ride Stories-img_2020-1-.jpg  

IPA will save America

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    How does that new enduro pedal?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

orthonormal
    Quote Originally Posted by fc View Post
    Was dreading climbing this bike at Santa Teresa but had to do it. A couple laps on the steeeeeps. Really amazing on the rocks.

i have a video somewhere.....
    Hoping SVCS will add an S3 to their rental fleet so I can try one out.
    The glass is twice as large as it needs to be

fc
    Quote Originally Posted by ssalinas View Post
    How does that new enduro pedal?

Best pedaling Specialized bike ever. Wide open rear shock, it doesn't move. But it's full active on rocks.

But this bike is 32 lbs. And it has these tires that have crazy sticky, low rebound rubber. You can feel the tires crush everything on the downhill. And the uphill.

I'll put some other tires on it and really see what it can climb.
    Oct 18-24, 2019 Weekly Ride Stories-img_2007-1-.jpg
    IPA will save America

mtbr member
    2nd annual..

Sent from my GM1915 using Tapatalk
    Instagram/Youtube- Dagonger
    Yeti Cycles sb45c/sb150

Moderator Moderator
    ^^^ Very nice.

mtbr member
    Well I was supposed to go to Japan where I was going to do some riding in an area near Nagano called Hakuba. The typhoon had other plans for me so I re-routed to Utah - cold autumn riding after some rain was....not too shabby, at least until I broke my brothers carbon rim - sorry bro!

Moderator Moderator
    ^^^ Sorry I don't have a spare carbon rim for ya!

Moderator Moderator
    Skeggs was beautiful today. Nice mist, perfect temps.

Used car, needs work. I believe this is a 1965 Mustang.

Old Ohlone Indian directional tree.

Now for some really weird shit, was listening to this song "Mustang" by Skegss the other day. Then I found an old Mustang at Skeggs!

Last edited by 5k bike 50cent legs; 3 Weeks Ago at 09:27 PM.

Trail Gnome
    I was going to ride in Japan too...unfortunately, you need a passport in addition to your Fastrak. I am not allowed to renew my passport.
    I ended up at China Camp...no dead bodies but, lots of yellow tape still on the trail. I havenít been on the official CC tails in a few years...that frontside is beat. Friends of China Camp are doing a terrible job with the trails. Stopped at Pondfarm Brewing, for a cold one, on the way home.
    https://www.pondfarmbrewing.com/

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by 5k bike 50cent legs View Post
    ^^^ Sorry I don't have a spare carbon rim for ya!
    Ah c'mon! You always come through for me! - which reminds me I still owe you a beer or 3

Actually it looks like Spesh might actually warranty the rim - but it's still a bit pricey to get a carbon wheel re-laced and they probably won't cover that

mtbr member
    Did any one ride Demo today?. I heard Ridge trail has been closed.. any confirmation on that?

Yeti Cycles sb45c/sb150

mtbr member
    First group ride done, tomorrow Demo

Yeti Cycles sb45c/sb150

mtbr member

Cannell trail

I just got back from a road trip to Kernville and riding the epic Cannell trail.
    Super fun trail! Its 25 miles long with about 2300 ft of climbing ( most of that is between 8 and 9K ft ). The trail has a crazy 8,000 of descending. Within those 25 miles and all of that elevation is a multitude on terrain. You get a bit of everything - fast and flowy, steep and rocky, stunning meadows, long technical exposed downhills, pine forests to something resembling Afghanistan. It has most everything you would expect and hope for in an Epic trail.
    You take a shuttle to about 9,200 ft and my starva says I maxed out at 9,378 ft.
    I was able to download a few pics - most of the good ones I couldn't download on here!
    If you haven't been there its worth putting on the bucket list.
    Another plus is there is a great Brewery in town!

Oct 18-24, 2019 Weekly Ride Stories-img_0050.jpg

Oct 18-24, 2019 Weekly Ride Stories-img_9905.jpg

Oct 18-24, 2019 Weekly Ride Stories-img_0044.jpg

Oct 18-24, 2019 Weekly Ride Stories-img_9906.jpg

mtbr member
    Green light for hiking and light lifting. Used a hoe and my feet to put mostly finishing touches on a project spot. Trail used to go around the tree to the left but if you had 780 - 800 handlebars, it was an almost guaranteed grab by the tree or the fence, pick your poison.

I put in the heavy lifting before I got hurt so this was perfect to just shuffle around dirt and stamp it with my feet. Still need some moisture and tamp, but that will have to wait till Iím all healed up! Felt awesome to get out on the trail in some of the deeper sections!

Oct 18-24, 2019 Weekly Ride Stories-5c7f090a-29ad-4320-9f84-960c09069c4b.jpg
    2019 Canyon Strive CF 8
    2018 Trek Farley Ex 8
    2015 Salsa Bucksaw 2

Caca pasa
    Do I see fc in one of those pics?

Nice turnout, good pics!
    "합니다 행사에서 디비 판매 합니다 관련해" Lesleybien

Hogan Lake blog. A section of Hogan Lake trails here.

MarkyMark
    I pulled into the parking lot Saturday AM and saw a lot more people than normal. Now it makes sense. Looks like ya'll had fun!

Quote Originally Posted by Dagonger View Post
    First group ride done, tomorrow Demo

Caca pasa
    Quote Originally Posted by roughster View Post
    Green light for hiking and light lifting. Used a hoe and my feet to put mostly finishing touches on a project spot. Trail used to go around the tree to the left but if you had 780 - 800 handlebars, it was an almost guaranteed grab by the tree or the fence, pick your poison.

I put in the heavy lifting before I got hurt so this was perfect to just shuffle around dirt and stamp it with my feet. Still need some moisture and tamp, but that will have to wait till Iím all healed up! Felt awesome to get out on the trail in some of the deeper sections!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	5C7F090A-29AD-4320-9F84-960C09069C4B.jpg 
Views:	36 
Size:	562.2 KB 
ID:	1287637
    I cut my bars down to 600, let me know when I can ride the new section.

Keep healing, brotha!
    "합니다 행사에서 디비 판매 합니다 관련해" Lesleybien

Hogan Lake blog. A section of Hogan Lake trails here.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by MarkMass View Post
    I pulled into the parking lot Saturday AM and saw a lot more people than normal. Now it makes sense. Looks like ya'll had fun!
    So much we did it again at Demo today!

Yeti Cycles sb45c/sb150

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dagonger View Post
    So much we did it again at Demo today!

You guys let that specialized peasant bike ride with you? Lol

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by RBoardman View Post
    You guys let that specialized peasant bike ride with you? Lol
    Lol Lars' son

Yeti Cycles sb45c/sb150

orthonormal
    Perfect weather at Nisene yesterday but it was surprisingly uncrowded. No shortage of parking near Epicenter and just a few people at Sand Point overlook right around noon.
    The glass is twice as large as it needs to be

fc
    Saturday, at ride 'o clock, buddy Randybuilt put a hole in my toy hauler frame.Oct 18-24, 2019 Weekly Ride Stories-img_2320.jpg

at least he covered it up.
    Oct 18-24, 2019 Weekly Ride Stories-img_2332.jpg

Finished in time to get a lil local ride in.
    IPA will save America

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    I rode on Saturday. It looks like Ridge will be closed from the benches to Sulphur during the week. This is based on the signage and the condition of the trail itself. The early sections were covered with wood chips and brush. I think they will be continuing all the way to the helipad.

mtbr member
    Really dry, sloppy and loose right now up here.
    A lot of the trails are perfect for riding.
    But the steep backside trails are treacherous right now.

Rode Blue Post Trail yesterday - morning ride before work...
    Rippin' fast descent when it's wet and grippy.
    Not so much now.
    Loose and sloppy.
    I should go out there and rake/sweep this trail - that would help.
    But as it is - it's a tricky descent...

mtbr member
    Was anyone out at John Nicholas Trail on Sat afternoon/evening or Sunday AM? I rode with my kid late in the day Saturday and I think I lost some keys near the Black Rd. trailhead probably close to the parking areas right off the road adjacent to the trailhead. I know it's a long shot but figured I'd check......

Moderator Moderator
    You wanna go, bro??

SOG
    mtbr member
    Good riding with the lil guy on the coast with cooler temps

mtbr member
    Rode the Napa Valley Ridge Trail from the parking lot at Mt. St. Helena to Moore Creek Park.
    https://www.strava.com/activities/2809598171
    A little over 5 hours. Always fun!

Oct 18-24, 2019 Weekly Ride Stories-48944506631_f44dfc4b33_b.jpg

Oct 18-24, 2019 Weekly Ride Stories-48944502441_d317cd2c6c_b.jpg

Oct 18-24, 2019 Weekly Ride Stories-48943954513_6eb60411a1_b.jpg

Oct 18-24, 2019 Weekly Ride Stories-48943958548_bdbe010693_b.jpg

Videos are uploading...

mtbr member
    Itís all about the rhythm and the flow, even for the builder. Got there and looked up 4 hours later like it was a few minutes. Iím basically handicapped and careful but still got some work done Iím proud of

Oct 18-24, 2019 Weekly Ride Stories-7f8b932e-b5ec-4d7e-8c8d-68600992984d.jpg

The pano gives it a false perspective of proximity. 9 x 15í turns around and down a steep hill before a steep chute hip launch to a berm followed by a 40í wood bridge (Not yet IP but soon) to the climb back to the starting point, which is about 8 miles in.

The Dragon will be an awesome addition!
    2019 Canyon Strive CF 8
    2018 Trek Farley Ex 8
    2015 Salsa Bucksaw 2

mtbr member
    Rode Pacifica today- amazing weather - anybody know whatís going on with these things?

Never a good sign when you see stuff like this on - letís call them ďunofficialď trails - this was on the trail named after a unit of measurement but there were others on trails in the background near the arrow

Trail Gnome
    ^^^you shouldnít ride illegal trails

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jibmaster View Post
    Rode the Napa Valley Ridge Trail from the parking lot at Mt. St. Helena to Moore Creek Park.

Videos are uploading...
    Nice ride! Must have been pretty toasty! Did you do a vehicle drop?

I've always been curious about rides in that zone as well as across the Hwy after riding Oat Hill a few times and then rock climbing a bunch in the area - I have seen some really fun looking steep, techy single track when hiking approaches to and from climbing spots, but have also seen some no bikes signs - is that ride you did mostly ST?

mtbr member
    Got shuttled from MCP to Mt. St. Helena. Single track, double track and fire roads.
    Did this ride a few weeks ago and threw in a ride to the summit of Mt. St. Helena to start things off. That ride was 7 hours.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jibmaster View Post
    https://www.strava.com/activities/2809598171
    A little over 5 hours. Always fun!
    Videos are uploading...
    Hey Jib, this looks great! Can you help me out though, and I am not trying to call you out, but is this ride legal for the public? Also, I know you have NV connections, was the link from Oat Hill to Angwin leveraging your personal access (Duff and Hoffnagle) or would this route be open to the general public? Also, does the Angwin to DWR connection represent the "new" allowed option through Los Posadas?

I'm only asking cause I want to do this! I've done the Angwin to MCP and it was fantastic. This adds a lot of single track mileage that would be bad ass!
    2019 Canyon Strive CF 8
    2018 Trek Farley Ex 8
    2015 Salsa Bucksaw 2

mtbr member
    The ride is mostly Napa Land Trust property.
    The upper part of DWR down to the upper creek crossing is on Las Posados State Forest Land. The new trail has not been made yet. But the best way to access DWR from Angwin is to connect through Tick Loop. The Bay Area Ridge Trail had the ribbon cutting, celebrating Angwin's addition last Sunday.
    The route goes across Midway and out through Tick Loop (the lower option). There are signs in Angwin pointing the way.
    But the new trail that will replace the upper part of DWR has not been made yet.
    Best to drop down Serpentine Rd./Oak Rd. like I did to avoid CalFire and 4H. Or ride down Wilderness Rd.
    That Strava has now been made private (followers only).

mtbr member
    Dan's Wild Ride

mtbr member
    Oct 2009

Awesome Tahoe Riding and a bad result on the Corral Rock Jump

Oct 18-24, 2019 Weekly Ride Stories-img_0820.jpg

I did my annual trip to Tahoe this past weekend, hitting up the TRT, Flume, Marlette Creek, Tyrolean, Star Lake, Coal Creek, Armstrong, Corral and Toads. The weather was perfect, and the trails were great! Unfortunately, I have to add another injury report to the NorCal forum.

On the 2nd to last day of the trip, after riding Toads and Armstrong, I decided to try the rock jump at the top of Corral near the road. Jumping is new to me, but I had been feeling more confident with recent experience in Santa Cruz. I hit the few rock jumps on Toads well, but at the end of a long day of riding, I did not do this Corral rock well. I had my weight too far back and on the landing I slammed my crotch down hard on the rear wheel. After a couple minutes of testicle pain, I thought I was good to go. I headed down Corral trail, and by the end, I noticed blood on my shorts, coming out of my penis.

To make a longer story short, I must have slammed my penis on the seat post or frame as well. I drove all the way home to go the emergency department at Stanford and I was diagnosed with an injury to my urethra in my penis.

They put in a catheter (to reduce the risk of stricture formation) and I'll need to have that in for at least 2 weeks, with a pee bag strapped to my leg.

What a freak accident, I haven't heard of this injury from other riders before. I'll be grateful if I heal well with no complications, but I won't be riding or doing any exercise for at least a couple weeks.

I missed out on doing the planned Van Sickle ride the next day, but without the accident, it would have been one of my all-time favorite trips to Tahoe!
    Last edited by Dopaminer_09; 2 Weeks Ago at 09:12 AM. Reason: tried to rotate the pic to get it right

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Ouch man. No bueno. New injury to me as well. Any potential for long-term damage or they think it'll heal fine? Scarring in there could be bad news for flow issues...

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    When you have injury to your urethra, you can later develop a stricture, which is a serious complication. The reason they placed a catheter is to encourage the urethra to heal around the catheter, and not to adhere to itself in a way that would lead to obstruction of the urethra.

Quote Originally Posted by LightRanger View Post
    Ouch man. No bueno. New injury to me as well. Any potential for long-term damage or they think it'll heal fine? Scarring in there could be bad news for flow issues...

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Ahhh. Makes sense. Hadn't seen the term before. But yeah, scarring and flow issues (aka stricture) seem like an obvious possibility.

Good luck with healing.

Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Yikes man, heal up!

Jib: Thanks for the info!

No riding for me but I hiked some of the trail and got a shot of one of my friends coming down a new section.

2019 Canyon Strive CF 8
    2018 Trek Farley Ex 8
    2015 Salsa Bucksaw 2