O/T? maybe...i need to ride into alameda- Mtbr.com
Results 1 to 20 of 20
  1. #1
    the half breed devil
    Reputation: shekky's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    3,945

    O/T? maybe...i need to ride into alameda

    i thought this might be the best place to post this topic...posted in the commuter forum as well, but that's a nationwide forum.

    my company is moving to alameda from san francisco at the beginning of 2012. i have been scouring the internets for information on the best way to get from san francisco into alameda by bike but have found NOTHING on how to ride into alameda once i leave the lake merrit BART station.

    when i was driving a company vehicle on the island today, i saw a cyclist heading eastbound through the posey tunnel but don't see how one would ride westbound through said tunnel. i know that the webster tunnel is closed to cyclists as well.

    is there a way to ride into alameda that is close to the lake merrit BART or am i stuck using the hourly BART/alameda "estuary shuttle".

    your help is greatly appreciated!

    --MB

  2. #2
    Safety Consultant
    Reputation: Turd Fergusen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    235
    Timely question...Alameda has just recently started a bike shuttle from Lake Merrit to College of Alameda:

    BikeAlameda Launches Estuary Shuttle

  3. #3
    aka baycat
    Reputation: Ryan G.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    8,480
    Use Google Maps and the bike function, it should show you a few possible routes from BART to Alameda. I have ridden around the Port of Oakland a few times, quite fun

    Ryan

  4. #4
    Safety Consultant
    Reputation: Turd Fergusen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    235
    Aw damn I should have finished reading you post... you COULD get off at Fruitvale Bart and ride over the bridge there. Probably your best bet. The tube sucks.

  5. #5
    the half breed devil
    Reputation: shekky's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    3,945
    Quote Originally Posted by Turd Fergusen View Post
    Aw damn I should have finished reading you post... you COULD get off at Fruitvale Bart and ride over the bridge there. Probably your best bet. The tube sucks.
    i've done some more reading and it looks like the best bet is over the fruitvale bridge. riding through any tunnel in either direction sounds horrible.

    having never really spent time in oakland, "fruitvale" conveys not-so-great images to me.

    how's that part of oakland?

  6. #6
    Safety Consultant
    Reputation: Turd Fergusen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    235
    Quote Originally Posted by shekky View Post
    i've done some more reading and it looks like the best bet is over the fruitvale bridge. riding through any tunnel in either direction sounds horrible.

    having never really spent time in oakland, "fruitvale" conveys not-so-great images to me.

    how's that part of oakland?
    It's fine. I'd stay away from the back parking lots at night, but the station itself and the section of Fruitvale between the station and Alameda is fine.

  7. #7
    Safety Consultant
    Reputation: Turd Fergusen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    235
    Also, Alameda Bicycles has a commuter station there that's open during commute hours.

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation: somanygoodbikes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    507
    Fruitvale got some bad publicity with the whole Oscar Grant thing. It's a shame because it is a commercial district that is trying to build itself up. It is pretty safe during the hours when the station is busy. After that it is not really bad but you could find neighborhoods in SF you don't want to be in after midnight either...

    The High Street and Park Street bridges are also options depending on where in Alameda you are going. High Street has an elevated road rage factor though. Fruitvale bridge should be pretty mellow.

    That station was my daily commute start/end point for all of 2010 when I was working in downtown SF. Mostly I used a folding bike and took it with me, but a few times I used the bike valet thing at the bike shop there. Very convenient. Don't leave your bike outside in the racks.

    Do stop in Powderface (right adjacent to the station turnstiles) and get some beignets and an appropriate beverage of your choice to go with them.

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    456

    Alameda Ferry

    I would look into the SF to Alameda Ferry.

  10. #10
    the half breed devil
    Reputation: shekky's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    3,945
    Quote Originally Posted by spartan23 View Post
    I would look into the SF to Alameda Ferry.
    six fifty each way and $120 for a book of ten.

    a little pricey for my wage scale...

  11. #11
    jrm
    jrm is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation: jrm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    11,398

    Do you know where on Alameda

    your being relocated? the reason i ask is that your riding route (distance) and transit options are different depending on where youll be located. From lake merritt you can travel south on 7th st., past laney college, then make a right on 5th ave., go under 880 and then make a left on embarcadero, right on kennedy then right again on park to the park street bridge. Then travel surface streets to where your employer has relocated on alameda.

    Looks like someone already covered riding from fruitvale, the shuttle and taking the ferry. Your other options are reverse AC transit transbay service from SF to alameda using routes W, O and OX. And local ac transit service routes 20, 21, 31 and 51A which connect to various BART stations. All the buses have bike racks but two is the limit.

  12. #12
    mtbr member
    Reputation: plantdude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    690
    AC transit as others have mentioned might be your best bet. Similar price to BART but limited route schedule.

    I recall that both tubes have a pedestrian "path". I've ridden through on it but it is very narrow and have come across questionable characters down there from time to time. Also it is very difficult to pass on the narrow path. Park St bridge is your best bet.

    It's too bad they don't offer a reduced fare to take the ferry from jack London to Alameda. Taking the ferry from time to time is quite enjoyable, especially in the evening. Sunset boat ride while drinking a beer is worth the fare.

  13. #13
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    27
    You can ride the tunnel in both directions, I've done it plenty. It's a dance to get around peds or other bikes but everybody knows this and it's not that bad, a bell is helpful for peds walking in the same direction so they can hear you. The tunnel is loud and the handrail is a little tight with wide handle bars but it's over before you know it. The route from Lake Merritt bart to the tunnel is pretty safe, I used to do it at 6 in the morning when I worked over there and never had any problems. Once you get through the tunnel riding in Alameda is really pleasant and mellow, you'll enjoy working there!

  14. #14
    Safety Consultant
    Reputation: Turd Fergusen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    235
    Bicycling the Posey Tube- Oakland to Alameda (was Webster Tube) - YouTube
    I've never done this, and doubt I ever will. The walls and rails are said to be filthy, and the air quality is poor as you might imagine.

  15. #15
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    1,082
    Quote Originally Posted by .steve View Post
    You can ride the tunnel in both directions, I've done it plenty. It's a dance to get around peds or other bikes but everybody knows this and it's not that bad, a bell is helpful for peds walking in the same direction so they can hear you. The tunnel is loud and the handrail is a little tight with wide handle bars but it's over before you know it. The route from Lake Merritt bart to the tunnel is pretty safe, I used to do it at 6 in the morning when I worked over there and never had any problems. Once you get through the tunnel riding in Alameda is really pleasant and mellow, you'll enjoy working there!
    +1 on this--i used to work in alameda, and rode thru the tube a few times. it can be a bit scary and unpleasant (traffic noise, overloaded trucks w/ stuff hanging out of the back can be menacing, narrowness of the sidewalk), but its relatively short. also, once you are on the island, its pretty flat and easy to tool around.
    94 Specialized Rockhopper

  16. #16
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    141
    see jrm route- have been commuting from oakland to alameda for 24 years and have NEVER ridden in the tube. park street and fruitvale bridges are the best way on to and off the island. lots of commuters on embarcadero and it is best accessed by 5th ave or 16th ave bridge. fruitvale district is fine- ride fruitvale ave every night to get home.

    mark

  17. #17
    bicycle rider
    Reputation: morganfletcher's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    2,718
    Quote Originally Posted by shekky View Post
    i thought this might be the best place to post this topic...posted in the commuter forum as well, but that's a nationwide forum.

    my company is moving to alameda from san francisco at the beginning of 2012. i have been scouring the internets for information on the best way to get from san francisco into alameda by bike but have found NOTHING on how to ride into alameda once i leave the lake merrit BART station.

    when i was driving a company vehicle on the island today, i saw a cyclist heading eastbound through the posey tunnel but don't see how one would ride westbound through said tunnel. i know that the webster tunnel is closed to cyclists as well.

    is there a way to ride into alameda that is close to the lake merrit BART or am i stuck using the hourly BART/alameda "estuary shuttle".

    your help is greatly appreciated!

    --MB
    The ferry is pricey, but really nice. I take it SF->OAK every M-W-F evening. It goes SF->SF->Alameda->Oakland, then back to SF. Try it sometime. It's pretty much the only way to go, if you're an Alamedan commuting to SF and back. (opposite of you) It's very bike friendly, they serve beer on board, and it's all regulars. The view is great too.

    I get my ferry tickets pre-tax via Wageworks. Your company might offer that, or be able to offer that.

    Morgan

  18. #18
    Resident Curmudgeon
    Reputation: Buzz Cut's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    1,565
    They celan the posey tube on a regular basis, it is still grimey. I drive through it in the Ambulance all the time, the air quality is not that bad. The side walk has pipe rails and you have to dismout if you need to pass a bike or a pedestrian as its that narrow

    The bridge can be dicey when wet or icy as it is an open honeycomb steel grate deck
    Warning: Consumption of alcohol may make you think the person on the barstool next to you is attractive

  19. #19
    Safety Consultant
    Reputation: Turd Fergusen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    235
    Quote Originally Posted by Buzz Cut View Post
    They celan the posey tube on a regular basis, it is still grimey. I drive through it in the Ambulance all the time, the air quality is not that bad.
    Well spank my monkey that is news to me.

  20. #20
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    141
    park street bridge- ride on the pedestrian walkway- steel plated and not honeycombed like the driving surface. fruitvale bridge- ride the car lane- asphalt surface.

    mark

Similar Threads

  1. Alameda Creek Trail closure
    By zorg in forum California - Norcal
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 06-03-2011, 11:54 AM
  2. Thanx To giant alameda rider &
    By dogonfr in forum Downhill - Freeride
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 05-28-2006, 10:49 PM
  3. Looking for ride buddies on a visit to Fairfax/Alameda etc.
    By lenox_mtbr in forum California - Norcal
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 04-11-2006, 08:05 PM
  4. Alameda Grand Prix Today
    By jrm in forum California - Norcal
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 03-05-2006, 07:07 PM
  5. Night ride tonight, 5:30pm Alameda lot
    By ibmkidIII in forum Colorado - Front Range
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 01-09-2006, 12:41 PM

Members who have read this thread: 0

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

THE SITE

ABOUT MTBR

VISIT US AT

© Copyright 2020 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.