Now I understand....- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jun 2010

Now I understand....

....why there is a kings of kennedy thread, and all of you that make it without dabbing suck

Went for a bike ride today. Rode out 15 miles to the trailhead and got there safely.

Goal was the top of Kennedy, all of less than 7 miles from the trailhead

Got on the trail and was met with a nice little downhill, and this already meant trouble, as it meant more and more up.
    There was a nice view.

At this point, I'm suffering. The grades are stupid and the recent road miles have taken a toll on my rear tire. For the most part.....and I get to the intersection 1.6 miles from the limekiln/kenndy intersection. At this point, I'm feeling good. I just did a serious climb in a short distance. Not super fast, but feeling good about myself.

Little did I know, the next section would be hell. The infamous kennedy rollers are stupid. Straight up stupid. The first one of the bunch, I got half way up and lost traction, the tire fell into a rut and it was a lost cause at that point. Had to walk up the rest. Had similar issues with the rest of the rollers except for the last once, where I carried enough speed to get up pretty far and just mash up the rest.

No pictures there. I was hating life. Walking up one of the grades, looking to the side and literally seeing a 40 degree incline is demoralizing.

So finally I got to the limekiln/kennedy and I was stoked.

Took limekiln down, which becomes this rather awesome single track for a bit. That was fun.

Then got back to lexington reservoir and had to book it cause I was running late.

All in all, good day. A bit over 40 miles and some intense climbing that is really a test of skill and determination.

I will make it without dabbing. Someday.

M8 M12 M15 deez nuts
    Awesome! Glad you liked it. I lost count how many times Iíve ridden up there this year, I know itís got to be over 40 times, but I still have yet to do an un-dabbable Dogmeat ascent. I gave up on trying to get a top ten time up Kennedy, as the last three times Iíve attempted it I ended up running into ancient rascal going down Kennedy, so we of course shot the breeze for 20 minutes each time.

Iíve managed Kennedy and the Three Ugly Sisters undabbable before, and it took some serious concentration. I was most amazed when I cleared the Three Ugly Sisters undabbable on a 32x20 singlespeed setup on CRUISER SLICKS!!! (26"x2.5" Maxxis Hookworm up front, 24"x3.45" 3GBikes.com ďHoggy-GĒ in back, both on 2.5" wide Surly Large Marge rims) The soil conditions were perfect at the time though, this was earlier in the Springtime. I havenít been up Kennedy in about a month, have been really busy lately.
    Donít frail and blow if youíre going to Braille and Flow.

Be Kind
    Apr 2009
    Thanks

rho
    Life is strange
    I kinda miss that climb.
    Moving away from it has put a slight dent on the amount of climbing as all i have is that fire road on the back side of Freemont older and Montebello Rd... Both not fun to ride to.

Kennedy was nice as its rite off of the Los Gatos creek trail... and I used to live right off the north end.

Plus I miss the old Wednesday night Kennedy climbs.

mtbr member
    Cool man! The rollers do suck your right about that. Dogmeat sucks worse! I am going to possibly go on wed this week. Around 830 start up overgrown (limekiln) and then up dogmeat. Maybe throw the rollers in too if I feel ok. ANyone want to suffer with me?
    They never made the "Slowster"

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Leopold Porkstacker View Post
    Awesome! Glad you liked it.

Iíve managed Kennedy and the Three Ugly Sisters undabbable before, and it took some serious concentration.
    Yeah, the entire time I was thinking 'I hate those singlespeed folk who do this' and just trying to keep some sort of momentum going. Everytime I'd try to stand or rock the bike on some of the steeper grades I'd lose traction and have to readjust, but I forgot I had the tires up in the 30psi range. Woops.

Quote Originally Posted by pmarshall View Post
    Cool man! The rollers do suck your right about that. Dogmeat sucks worse!
    When I can do kennedy, I'll try Dogmeat, but for now, I'll be that fat kid on the silly looking bike suffering and hating life going up Kennedy.

-Kinda OT: An older guy on a litespeed cross bike and I chatted it up for a good 10 minutes at the trailhead and he called my setup 'perfect' for those climbs. Too bad I suck at bikes.

mtbr member
    Tire pressure is a huge factor going up those climbs. I lower mine quite a bit to get traction on Kennedy and dogmeat both. I used to hate kennedy with a passion but now for some reason don't mind it. I do however hate dogmeat. It is hard and then gets harder. I don't make the rollers every time because some part of me says, "Stay in the middle ring." I have done it a few times when the conditions are right. I can remember being the guy that was passed on the climbs all the time and hating life. I have since learned to climb better and fitness is a huge part. I have chicken little thin legs so I make up for it with heart and lung power. If I put some serious effort into getting more leg muscle, climbing would be better. Oh well, biking is fun. I always prefer it to being at work.
    They never made the "Slowster"

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    It's just another obstacle to tackle in my eyes. I used to hate doing aptos to demo, then the long loop at demo and back to aptos, but that's my fun ride.

Gimme some time, I'll make it up there some day. Hell, only been cycling for a year. So, who wants to call into work for me and tell my manager I need to go home ASAP?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by motorbacon View Post
    Yeah, the entire time I was thinking 'I hate those singlespeed folk who do this' and just trying to keep some sort of momentum going. Everytime I'd try to stand or rock the bike on some of the steeper grades I'd lose traction and have to readjust, but I forgot I had the tires up in the 30psi range. Woops.

When I can do kennedy, I'll try Dogmeat, but for now, I'll be that fat kid on the silly looking bike suffering and hating life going up Kennedy.

-Kinda OT: An older guy on a litespeed cross bike and I chatted it up for a good 10 minutes at the trailhead and he called my setup 'perfect' for those climbs. Too bad I suck at bikes.
    Yup.....SS'ers are always looking for attention !
    Suicide by single speed. Work in progress.

mtbr member
    [QUOTE=motorbacon;8364980]....why there is a kings of kennedy thread, and all of you that make it without dabbing suck
    I think the no dabbing deal at Kennedy is more about this obnoxious group listed here ! Prolly a SS'er or two in there also !
    http://forums.mtbr.com/california-no....html#poststop

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Yeah yeah. I'm not one to sit quietly.

I'm gonna head out there all the time now, big ringing it to the top (with a jetpack on my back)

mtbr member
    Yeah yeah. I'm not one to sit quietly.

I'm gonna head out there all the time now, big ringing it to the top (with a jetpack on my back)
    C u on Saturday then ? T.O.T. hill rd. entrance on Kennedy rd......who's in? Potty to the top ?

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    You'll win and Saturday is Santa Teresa in the morning. Gimme a year or two of kennedy first

mtbr member
    You'll win and Saturday is Santa Teresa in the morning. Gimme a year or two of kennedy first
    I didn't mean it to be a challenge....sorry ! I am just usually @ Kennedy on the weekends. Plus I am not fast. Just steady !

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    I haven't ridden Kennedy at all this year. I'm happy to try it on my SS. I will suck, not make it up, and likely turn around or need to walk at some point. However, I like pain. If someone wants to do it early next monday (8/29), you are welcome to join me and laugh at my suffering. I will have a 29er, lock out my front fork, and likely stand most of the climb.

That said, suffering is good for me. Plus, despite living in the land of amazing trails (SCruz), we know climbing Kennedy is superior to climbing Sand Point. Plus, it looks like I can make the Turkey ride this year, so I need to work on my figure...or something like that.

-j

Bro
    Content from my avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ancient rascal View Post
    Yup.....SS'ers are always looking for attention !
    Why do people always gotta be jealous of our superiority....

If I said I recently built up a rigid offroad fixed gear, would you still be jealous?
    Sometimes, I question the value of my content.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Yes, *THEY* would. The love sitting on their geard squishies, leisurely toodling up any incline (small or large)...

Lazy bastiges....

mtbr member

Try this first

Couple of scoops of Andy R's mtfu in the water bottle and anyone can make Kennedy. Its only 2k to the intersection ........ Come on man ! Now I understand....-0708110800a.jpg

Now I understand....-0708111023a.jpg

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Now that I know what it's like, I'll know how to pace myself. And maybe a 16 mile warm up is too much? ionno. haha.

mtbr member
    Now that I know what it's like, I'll know how to pace myself. And maybe a 16 mile warm up is too much? ionno. haha.
    Warm up in the dirt ! There is plenty of riding to be done from any entrance in to S.A. It takes 5 plus hrs. to cover all the trails. It's where the "huskies" go ! Openspace.org - Your Preserves - Sierra Azul

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    I just hate driving, so I was riding from home