Moderator Moderator

Nov 9-11, 2018 Weekend Ride, Trails and Air Quality Report

Air quality around much of NorCal will be an issue this weekend. Temps should be very nice, but no rain in site unfortunately.

Photos and air quality reports where you are would be appreciated.

Air Quality Index NorCal
    Nov 9-11, 2018 Weekend Ride, Trails and Air Quality Report-screen-shot-2018-11-08-8.16.50-pm.jpg

Forecast Rainfall
    Nov 9-11, 2018 Weekend Ride, Trails and Air Quality Report-screen-shot-2018-11-08-8.10.14-pm.jpg

Max Temps
    Nov 9-11, 2018 Weekend Ride, Trails and Air Quality Report-screen-shot-2018-11-08-8.10.44-pm.jpg

Min Temps
    Nov 9-11, 2018 Weekend Ride, Trails and Air Quality Report-screen-shot-2018-11-08-8.10.55-pm.jpg

fc
    head minion Administrator
    Here, here. I rode yesterday was congested last night.

Today is wayyy worse so be mindful out there.
    https://www.purpleair.com/gmap?&zoom...=8.72314453125Nov 9-11, 2018 Weekend Ride, Trails and Air Quality Report-screen-shot-2018-11-09-8.38.32-am.jpg
    IPA will save America

mtbr member
    Rode this morning and air didn't appear smokey but I am sure I got my daily intake of small particles. Looks like it is moving back in though.

Moderator Moderator
    Small pocket of clean air......

Nov 9-11, 2018 Weekend Ride, Trails and Air Quality Report-screen-shot-2018-11-09-10.19.43-am.jpg

mtbr member
    Damn was hoping for a post work ride @ JMP... Not looking good so far, will probably get worse

singletrack bound
    was looking out my window this AM towards Loma Prieta thinking I would get a ride in this afternoon but as the morning wore on I'm leaning towards cancelling.

mtbr member
    Sep 2017
    I wouldn't ride anywhere near San Francisco until things clear up. I coughed a bit just walking the 200ft of elevation to take these photos... From this morning, it's worse now:

Nov 9-11, 2018 Weekend Ride, Trails and Air Quality Report-img_0816.jpgNov 9-11, 2018 Weekend Ride, Trails and Air Quality Report-img_4535.jpg

jrm
    mtbr member
    Man. ..So much for a shack down ride today like i had planned this long weekend.

PM 2.5 particulate is @ 220. Up from 183 this morning.

https://www.purpleair.com/map?fbclid...7667/-122.2629

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Briballdo View Post
    Damn was hoping for a post work ride @ JMP... Not looking good so far, will probably get worse
    Park was still closed when I went by earlier today.

NWS Sacramento is a good bookmark for wind direction / smoke forecasts. Looks like peak badness will be around 6PM tonight.

https://twitter.com/NWSSacramento/st...51697038757888

Nobody
    Definitely not worth the risk to health. I happen to be pretty sensitive to air quality since I had asthma as a child. If I can smell smoke at, I just won't ride cause it seems to bother me for days afterwards.

Hopefully the wind dies down, primarily to help the fires, and to stop blowing smoke into the Bay Area and beyond.
    Hunt Hard, Kill Swiftly, Waste Nothing, Offer No Apologies...

Moderator Moderator
    Up at Skeggs for a short hike. Thought is would be too smoky for a ride, but not too smoky at all. Several people coming out of the woods on bikes, asked about conditions, all said no issue. Should have brought my bike!

Nov 9-11, 2018 Weekend Ride, Trails and Air Quality Report-img_0318.jpg

mtbr member
    Feb 2014

gross

view from my front door in Oakland at 3pm:
    Nov 9-11, 2018 Weekend Ride, Trails and Air Quality Report-img_4670.jpg

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by somanygoodbikes View Post
    Park was still closed when I went by earlier today.

NWS Sacramento is a good bookmark for wind direction / smoke forecasts. Looks like peak badness will be around 6PM tonight.

https://twitter.com/NWSSacramento/st...51697038757888
    Looking pretty damn bad in Oakland right now. Although I can't really complain about biking conditions when there are people who have lost basically everything

mtbr member
    Was smoky at UC today but nothing like the peninsula. Fire fighters up by UC and parking on 9. 9 parking lot closed.

fc
    Made it out to Fremont OlderNov 9-11, 2018 Weekend Ride, Trails and Air Quality Report-img_0176.jpg
    IPA will save America

mtbr member
    Sep 2018
    Ride FO too today around noon. Pretty good.
    Trails were completely empty - Seven Springs, Toyon, Coyote.
    Fun!

fc
    Today is worse. No wind at all
    IPA will save America

More pie please
    Lick Observatory webcam

Nov 9-11, 2018 Weekend Ride, Trails and Air Quality Report-lickobservatorywebcan20181110.jpg

Lick Observatory, Current Webcam Images

Boulder Creek webcam Actually on Hwy 9 near Castle Rock State park

Nov 9-11, 2018 Weekend Ride, Trails and Air Quality Report-bouldercreekwebcam20181110.jpg

https://www.wunderground.com/webcams...IX/1/show.html

Webcam map: https://www.wunderground.com/webcams/ ...to click around on.

Grabbed from "Switch Bax's" Strava: Groesbeck Hill Park, San Jose, this morning:

Long live long rides

fc
    Data has been triangulated and I even stepped outside.

It's basically like smoking a pack of cigarettes a day.

Nov 9-11, 2018 Weekend Ride, Trails and Air Quality Report-desktop75.jpg
    IPA will save America

Oaktown Honkey on Strava
    Sep 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by fc View Post
    Data has been triangulated and I even stepped outside.

It's basically like smoking a pack of cigarettes a day.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Desktop75.jpg 
Views:	46 
Size:	351.7 KB 
ID:	1224291
    If you dont smoke weed, this is the week to do it. I will have to hook back up with my miscreant friends this week. Usually a "once a year" deal for me.

mtbr member
    Does the appearances of clear air actually mean it's ok? Just trying to justify my avoidance of riding 😁

mtbr member
    Wow, the air quality this weekend is the worst I've ever seen in the 24+ years I've been here in the bay area... Pretty terrible all up and down the peninsula. Stay safe!

mtbr member
    The expansion of the new trail never ends ... had a moment of clarity and realized there was a small portion of nice trail I used to ride that didn't follow the flow of the general loop so I quite riding it. I realized if I added a connector I could get a new ~0.3 mile DH section tagged into the loop and get the trail off a section of fire road. Weed-wacked it last night, walked it this morning moving the loose rock and kicking everything with my foot (not my best decision, think I have a bone bruise on the underside of my foot, lol), and then rode it a few times as a loop. I will definitely need to spend some time "shaving" the surface though the bench is all there already from bovine terracing.

The surface is rough, but 3 sweet rock rolls / drop offs and a nice rock garden that is quite bouncy and fun right before it joins back up to the previously established trail.

Was so easy to get included it felt like cheating Trail is now up to 9 miles! Woot! I'll try to get some pics tomorrow if the air quality gets better. I cut my ride short because literally I could see the smoke clouds moving in and making visibility ~20' before you could physically see the haze between you and an object.

Hopefully it will get better tomorrow!

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    @roughster is this a private trail?

Moderator Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by roughster View Post
    The expansion of the new trail never ends ... had a moment of clarity and realized there was a small portion of nice trail I used to ride that didn't follow the flow of the general loop so I quite riding it. I realized if I added a connector I could get a new ~0.3 mile DH section tagged into the loop and get the trail off a section of fire road. Weed-wacked it last night, walked it this morning moving the loose rock and kicking everything with my foot (not my best decision, think I have a bone bruise on the underside of my foot, lol), and then rode it a few times as a loop. I will definitely need to spend some time "shaving" the surface though the bench is all there already from bovine terracing.

The surface is rough, but 3 sweet rock rolls / drop offs and a nice rock garden that is quite bouncy and fun right before it joins back up to the previously established trail.

Was so easy to get included it felt like cheating Trail is now up to 9 miles! Woot! I'll try to get some pics tomorrow if the air quality gets better. I cut my ride short because literally I could see the smoke clouds moving in and making visibility ~20' before you could physically see the haze between you and an object.

Hopefully it will get better tomorrow!
    If you can find a copy of this book, get it. If not, PM me and you can borrow my copy.

http://www.natureshape.com/pubs/nstbd.html

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by 5k bike 50cent legs View Post
    If you can find a copy of this book, get it. If not, PM me and you can borrow my copy.

Natural Surface Trails by Design
    Oh I like the looks of that. I'll buy a copy for sure. Thanks for the heads up!

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    Any reports if good air quality? Foothills? Is mendo still bad? Itís really crummy west of Santa Rosa and me and the family would like to get out of it.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    I rode in Skeggs today 10.30-12.30. Smoke wasn't too bad (for me, no allergies/asthma, etc). Couldn't see the smoke in the woods, though I could smell it. Only saw 2 other bikers, not many cars up there.

Over it
    Jun 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by dp400 View Post
    Was smoky at UC today but nothing like the peninsula. Fire fighters up by UC and parking on 9. 9 parking lot closed.
    Thanks for posting this! The Rincon lot is still closed as of this morning--saw a fire truck down on the tracks. The fire is now at 17 acres, 96% contained. We started on the West Side and got in 25 miles, conditions/air quality were pretty good (if blue sky is any indication).
    The broken are the more evolved. Rejoice.

mtbr member
    Not too horrible in SC this afternoon. Didnít pedal much, but super glad I got out for a ride. Actually had a ton of fun just stopping and sessioning a bunch of corners/jumps with friends. I rarely ever do that.
    Surprisingly, a lot of people out in the woods today, at least more than I expected.
    Off to South Lake Tahoe tomorrow. Now that should be good!!!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by cassieno View Post
    @roughster is this a private trail?
    No itís public, just off the radar though getting more popular as people stumble across it.

It is coming together quite nicely!

Nov 9-11, 2018 Weekend Ride, Trails and Air Quality Report-2d75c04e-0202-4859-b62f-88ec25435354.jpeg
    2018 Trek Farley Ex 8 - One bike to rule them all!

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by RBoardman View Post
    Off to South Lake Tahoe tomorrow. Now that should be good!!!
    Had to escape the smoke in the bay area. South Lake is good. Going to do Toads tomorrow

fc
    I heard South Lake Tahoe is bad. Bad and about to get worse tomorrow. I had a couple friends escape to there this afternoon and were bitterly disappointed they couldn't see the Lake.
    IPA will save America

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Coming from the bay area it was glorious. It's still smoky. But I can walk around outside without feeling like I am getting the flu.

Super cold though.

fc
    I worked on my tent game. I'm keeping the Yakima but I prefer the Tepui low profile mounts. So I swapped them. Sooooo painful.Nov 9-11, 2018 Weekend Ride, Trails and Air Quality Report-img_0194.jpg

For some reason, Apple Face ID does not recognize me and I have to enter my passcode each time!!!
    Nov 9-11, 2018 Weekend Ride, Trails and Air Quality Report-img_0190.jpg
    schit... upside down too
    IPA will save America

always licking the glass
    It was pretty horrible when I left SF from a business trip yesterday. Woke up with chest pain, and glad I was able to get an earlier flight out.

Stay safe. This crappy air isn't something to mess around with. I left by 245pm.. and it looks worse today.

If you need to be outside, get one:
    https://www.vogmask.com/collections/all
    Guerrilla Gravity BAMF, Colorado Front Range
    Hadley hubs for sale

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by fc View Post
    I heard South Lake Tahoe is bad. Bad and about to get worse tomorrow. I had a couple friends escape to there this afternoon and were bitterly disappointed they couldn't see the Lake.
    Morning started out ok then got progressively worse, around 1 from the first lake lookout heading towards toads you could not see the lake. Late afternoon the wind changed directions and the air cleared out quite a bit.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Air today in South Lake is beautiful.

Toads was great. Felt good to go clear everything I didn't the first time around.

Also the Maxxis Forecaster is a great rear tire for Sandy conditions. So much grip where my Aggressor would slide.

singletrack bound
    waaaaaay better today....just got back from a loop in Nisene and it wasn't too bad. You could see blue sky.

Moderator Moderator
    Riding through Russian Ridge today. Smoke is still pretty heavy, but not as bad as yesterday.

Nov 9-11, 2018 Weekend Ride, Trails and Air Quality Report-img_0326.jpg

Formerly dvo
    Downieville!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I'm the problem....

mtbr member
    3 Sentinels, 3 Nomads, and 1 Ripmo.

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    Air quality on toads was crisp, cold, and extremely clear on Sunday. The top of the trt was windy and freezing. But once we got to toads proper, it wasn't as bad.

fc
    This is what i got out of a weekend of trying.Nov 9-11, 2018 Weekend Ride, Trails and Air Quality Report-img_0265-1-.jpg
    IPA will save America

mtbr member

Slo air was good

I graduated from Cal Poly in 1994 and this was my first time riding there! super sick trails.

Visibility was a little poor but the smoke did not affect my breathing at all.

Name:  slo.jpg
Views: 128
Size:  44.1 KB

mtbr member
    Awesome picture from the other day playing in the forest.

n00bie
    Apr 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by mtbrdan View Post
    Downieville!
    how were the roads getting in? was thinking of making the trip this weekend but was a little worried about the access coming in on 49 from the west

Formerly dvo
    Quote Originally Posted by cameronhd View Post
    how were the roads getting in? was thinking of making the trip this weekend but was a little worried about the access coming in on 49 from the west
    No drama whatsoever.

I'm the problem....