head minion Administrator
    Got out with the hightowah

IPA will save America

fc
    Huh... action photos

IPA will save America

mtbr member
    Easy e-bike ride slowly getting back into it. Focused on smooth and slow where needed. No real pain except where I subconsciously pulled up over rocks / drops. That's still a No-Go! Might try a non-e mini-loop tomorrow. We'll see if the shoulder hurts tonight.

Nov 1-7, 2019 Weekly Ride Stories-img_e0104.jpg

Getting ready to start the Dragon DH. Turns definitely need more work. Due to the steepness, 15' radius is tight. Might open them up a bit. I also need to shave down the inside pocket as the bank cut pushes you to the outside, which normally wouldn't be bad, but we need some rain for the berms to firm up and be rail-able. The rest is running pretty nice, just need to connect last 300' or so!

Nov 1-7, 2019 Weekly Ride Stories-img_0077.jpg

Came around one corner and broke up this dude's afternoon delight. Sorry bro!

Nov 1-7, 2019 Weekly Ride Stories-img_e0102.jpg

PSA: The entire trail is free of branches or large twigs. Slowed me down on my ride, but I was already in chill mode.

Nov 1-7, 2019 Weekly Ride Stories-img_e0103.jpg

Unfortunately someone dug-up and moved rocks around a rocky turn to short hill we left tough for a challenge. It might be hikers, IDK, but I hope someone isn't purposefully making the trail easier. There are pretty much ride arounds on everything hard, makes no sense to modify the technical elements when you can literally ride around them You can see a lot of the "dig" spots where they removed embedded boulders / rocks. I'll be returning this to its pre-modified state.

Nov 1-7, 2019 Weekly Ride Stories-img_0092.jpg

Overall it was awesome to get out. The weather was absolutely perfect!
    2019 Canyon Strive CF 8
    2018 Trek Farley Ex 8
    2015 Salsa Bucksaw 2

mtbr member
    Quick e-5'er racing the sunset / last light. Still can't pull up without pretty harsh pain which is pissing me off. Everything is either a suspension pop or no air at all

I started exploring a new DH line though I still need to finish up the Dragon but should be able to do that this week / next week at latest. Always good to keep your eyes open for the next big thing!

I have my final surgery consult this week, from there I get referred back to my regular Dr. for the remaining recovery time. Feeling pretty good, but my collarbone was *killing me* after standing / grooving to B Foundation at Holy Diver last night. Makes me worried since in my job I do a lot of touring, pointing, inspecting, and examining things. My guess is I am going to be in a world of hurt when I go back to work.
    2019 Canyon Strive CF 8
    2018 Trek Farley Ex 8
    2015 Salsa Bucksaw 2

mtbr member
    Aug 2019
    Did ~23mi at Calero today. Met a tree. Found a cramp.

All is fine, except some small scrapes on my back due to a rolling fall. Mostly mad at myself for taking the line I shouldn’t have.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Ripmo ‘19
    Spectral ‘18

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    First time I've been to Demo in a while.

That place is torn the F up. *If* it ever rains again, that place is gonna get super mushy with all the extra moondust generated by the fire clearing.

Flow trail is pretty beat-up as well. Those brake bumps (section 4? the one with the plank at the start) have turned into craters.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by shapethings View Post
    First time I've been to Demo in a while.

That place is torn the F up. *If* it ever rains again, that place is gonna get super mushy with all the extra moondust generated by the fire clearing.

Flow trail is pretty beat-up as well. Those brake bumps (section 4? the one with the plank at the start) have turned into craters.
    During a trip there a few weeks ago... I remember thinking that those brake bumps (beginning of section 4) are actually kind of fun while being on a 29er but my buddy on a 26 was complaining about how deep they were.

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    Rode up and down Grizzly Flat trails (both north and south) in Upper Stevens Creek today. Looks like the county had a dozer down in the last week and in a few sections the trail is really loose where they did some heavy grading. It's going to take a few good rains before those sections pack down. The south trail looks to be near impossible to ride up, fairly sketchy going downhill on skinny cross tires. The north side has a few spots where it gets really loose, so take it easy if you didn't ride up first to know where those spots are.

Lots of downed branches and a few trees but those look to have been cleared off the trail:
    Nov 1-7, 2019 Weekly Ride Stories-img_20191103_151124.jpg
    Did clear some smaller branches off the trail.
    Last edited by 4Crawler; 1 Week Ago at 10:28 AM.

fc
    Santa Teresa files. Still steep and rocky
    IPA will save America

mtbr member
    I did Thunder Mountain for the first time. Climbing up there was brutal. I'm sure plenty of you are in better shape than me, however, it was a monster climb with it's fair share of hike-a-bike. The DH portion of the trail was pretty fun. At the time it was hard to say it was worth the climb. However, the next day thinking back on it, I already justified doing it again. Definitely was a challenging ride.

Nov 1-7, 2019 Weekly Ride Stories-thundermountain1.jpg
    </robert> ::: B1KER.com - Be One

fc
    So many sticks and branches everywhere!!!! Carry a saw and knock a few down if they're blocking the trail. Or even kick a few off the trail. It will benefit hundreds behind you.

I've seen a few branches in my time, blocking the trail, nuisance one can pedal over it. Two months later.... it's marked heavily but still there. So i'm guilty as well but this is just a reminder to pause and help clean.
    IPA will save America

mtbr member
    7 miles on “e”. Used it to get to the spot on the Dragon I needed to do some work on. Holy cow, the pic below doesn’t do it justice but I moved a lot of dirt to make it like this. Also fixed the corner after in similar fashion.

Nov 1-7, 2019 Weekly Ride Stories-7c874dde-6b4b-4891-9e3b-cc2d1aff86c1.jpeg

After fixing them, rode them and they are both pretty awesome. The big turn kind of has a free fall feeling to it, not sure if that’s good or not but got my heart pumping. Mr. Potato Bug made an appearance during the earth moving:

Nov 1-7, 2019 Weekly Ride Stories-31696130-5978-44dc-9bb3-4e037803b1ac.jpeg

Brought him home to my daughter, who today as chance would have it, found out she was accepted to the University of Idaho Entomology program. Couldn’t be more excited for her!

Also was able to hit a drop for the first time I built right before I got hurt. This one is fun! Looking forward to launching it when I can finally pull up the bars. Took it basically “flat drop” style:

Nov 1-7, 2019 Weekly Ride Stories-13622424-97c1-4aee-976a-69ab17f0a0ee.jpeg

Was a great dig, ride, and day as weather was perfect!
    2019 Canyon Strive CF 8
    2018 Trek Farley Ex 8
    2015 Salsa Bucksaw 2

Caca pasa
    Nice work, brother!

Good karma helps healing.
    "합니다 행사에서 디비 판매 합니다 관련해" Lesleybien

Hogan Lake blog. A section of Hogan Lake trails here.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Finch Platte View Post
    Nice work, brother!

Good karma helps healing.
    Thanks man . Still need to get you out here for the tour!
    2019 Canyon Strive CF 8
    2018 Trek Farley Ex 8
    2015 Salsa Bucksaw 2

Up In Smoke
    Quote Originally Posted by roughster View Post

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	7C874DDE-6B4B-4891-9E3B-CC2D1AFF86C1.jpeg 
Views:	47 
Size:	494.6 KB 
ID:	1290823

Hella Olde
    Or, as the Navajo are fond of saying: c’os bic’ic lici (Chʼosh bitsiitsʼiin łichíʼí) "red-skull bug"

Only a Jerusalem Cricket's mother could love those things.
    Last edited by DH40; 1 Week Ago at 04:59 PM. Reason: clarity

mtbr member
    Added two jumps in two different sections. Used rebar anchors for the first time, will be doing that from now on as I built each jump in maybe 30 mins solo (I had precut and staged the logs). Cleaned up a few small spots, and reshaped the top of the half pipe so what happened to me doesn’t happen to anyone else.

Put away the saw, folding Silky Big Boy, I somehow managed to close it on my hand. Yes you read that right. I am still not sure how I did it, but instant deep black blood welling from two of the “punctures”. Clearly hit a return vein. Did my best to put a “bandage on” (thank god for dirty napkins and electrical tape in my pack!).

Hiked out, don’t think I need stitches, but it’s swollen and stiff. I’ll make the Dr. call tomorrow morning if it’s needed. Of course, it’s on my good side, lol.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Nov 1-7, 2019 Weekly Ride Stories-48e97645-abcd-40a1-b89b-75511b19046d.jpeg  

2019 Canyon Strive CF 8
    2018 Trek Farley Ex 8
    2015 Salsa Bucksaw 2

fc
    Added two jumps in two different sections. Used rebar anchors for the first time, will be doing that from now on as I built each jump in maybe 30 mins solo (I had precut and staged the logs). Cleaned up a few small spots, and reshaped the top of the half pipe so what happened to me doesn’t happen to anyone else.

Put away the saw, folding Silky Big Boy, I somehow managed to close it on my hand. Yes you read that right. I am still not sure how I did it, but instant deep black blood welling from two of the “punctures”. Clearly hit a return vein. Did my best to put a “bandage on” (thank god for dirty napkins and electrical tape in my pack!).
    Holy Canoli!!!!!!! I did that with my Silky Big Boy. It touched my thick glove and it started turning red. Oh man, the horror. Rushed home and it was no biggie. If I didn't have a glove though, it would have been another story.
    IPA will save America

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by fc View Post
    Holy Canoli!!!!!!! I did that with my Silky Big Boy. It touched my thick glove and it started turning red. Oh man, the horror. Rushed home and it was no biggie. If I didn't have a glove though, it would have been another story.
    Yeah in reflection I think it is the weight of the longer blade resulting in weird momentum as I twisted the handle, and it just snapped shut on me. I was wearing gloves as well thank goodness.

Nov 1-7, 2019 Weekly Ride Stories-saw.jpg

It doesn't look like much but those little marks are DEEP. The hand is stiff today but bleeding stopped pretty quickly, so going to take it easy the next few days and hopefully let the body heal up.

Oh, I managed to get a quite few patches of poison oak over the last few days on my legs, arms and including one spot under my lip, lol. My wife looked at me with complete honesty in her eyes last night and said, "You're a god damn mess!".

Think it's the universe telling me to chill the F*(& out!
    2019 Canyon Strive CF 8
    2018 Trek Farley Ex 8
    2015 Salsa Bucksaw 2

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Think it's the universe telling me to chill the F*(& out!
    Ya think?

mtbr member
    Headed up to Covelo to ride Anthony Peak. I spend a lot of time in this area to ski in the winter. Thought I'd circumnavigate and summit Anthony Peak on the mt. bike.
    Started the ride down by the river and rode clockwise around the mountain with a detour to summit.
    It was a blast to ride where I normally ski!

36 miles
    6,431 feet of climbing
    5,883 feet of descending
    Just under 6 hours of riding

This is the normal route off the summit when I ski.

All the pics:
    https://www.flickr.com/search/?user_...019&view_all=1

Strava:
    https://www.strava.com/activities/2844314060

More pie please

Nov 1-7, 2019 Weekly Ride Stories

Saturday was riding Dirt Alpine and Monte Bello OSP. No pictures but I can report two trees down on upper Dirt Alpine, one on Coal Road, one on White Oak, and two on Adobe Creek Trail.

Sunday, social ride in Long Ridge OSP to go buy honey at the Chestnut Orchard.

Man, it was super busy at the Chestnut Orchard!

And I can add another fallen tree to my list, one on the north end of Long Ridge Trail.

Yesterday I went to Coe...Coit Lake:

The lake's perimeter trail:

I spent some time chopping back the poison oak here. No good deed goes unpunished - a shoe fell apart on the ride back! Well I did wear a very old, dilapidated pair of shoes today since I knew I'd be on my feet part of the day. A couple zip-ties held the shoe together for the rest of the ride—to be safe, I stuck to the fireroads for the most part.

Near Coit Road & Cross Canyon Trail I saw a Bobcat...got a photo but it's not very good.

That's all folks!
    ///Charlie
    Long live long rides

Moderator Moderator
    Snek in the ride home.

Pedaled my sons HTLT around today. That thing feels raked out compared to my Yeti, I have forgotten how an enduro bike feels.

fc
    testing the gopro heroeight!Nov 1-7, 2019 Weekly Ride Stories-1-screen-shot-2019-11-008.jpg

nice leaves detail
    IPA will save America