Northstar Bike Park Opening this Summer?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jul 2019

Northstar Bike Park Opening this Summer?

I know stuff was in flux with ski resorts.
    Has anyone herd if Northstar's bike park would be opening on time?

Here's the leastest "news" I see.
    https://mtbparks.com/Mountain-Bike-P...-COVID-19.html

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Given Truckee (like some places in the CO mountains) ended up being a hot spot due to visitors, I personally wouldn't plan on N* reopening. The mood up in Truckee/surrounding is locals only and I expect it to stay that way for awhile.

Graeagle/Plumas has seen an influx of unmasked out of towners which really isn't particularly cool.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by grumblingcrustacean View Post
    The mood up in Truckee/surrounding is locals only and I expect it to stay that way for awhile.

Graeagle/Plumas has seen an influx of unmasked out of towners which really isn't particularly cool.
    I donít think that think thatís anything new, itís just now socially acceptable to shame the valley kooks.

mtbr member
    Jul 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by grumblingcrustacean View Post
    Given Truckee (like some places in the CO mountains) ended up being a hot spot due to visitors, I personally wouldn't plan on N* reopening. The mood up in Truckee/surrounding is locals only and I expect it to stay that way for awhile.

Bummer. Hoping to get some laps in on Gypsy and Livewire this year...

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    My bet is on late summer opening - maybe August. Might still be worth for them to run for couple of months.

mtbr member
    I was really looking forward to it. I hope so

AKD
    Getting hillier every day
    I'd say it's very doubtful this year.

They'd have to be working on the trails right now for a normal opening, and . . . there ain't shit going on at Northstar.

They aren't even sure that there will be a ski season next year. I know bike operations are much lower in terms of staff requirements (it's mostly locals, I don't think Northstar imports Aussie/South American workers for the bike park), but I don't see it happening given the corporate aversion to risk.

default title
    Mar 2008
    If N*'s community stance is anything like Downieville's then expect no tourist season.

Here was a message from Sierra Buttes Trail Stewardship recently:
    "Sierra County is among the only counties in California with currently zero reported cases of COVID-19. With about 3,000 residents, the aging population has limited medical resources and is highly vulnerable to a viral outbreak. SBTS and its bike shop Yuba Expeditions invest immeasurable love into Downieville, and we don't want our operations or guests to be responsible for potentially introducing the virus. In addition to canceling the 2020 Downieville Classic, Yuba Expeditions in Downieville will be closed until further notice. At this time, we urge you to please not visit Downieville or other Lost Sierra mountain communities until government officials say it is safe to do so."

Locals Only. I wish other communities could enforce similar.
    "My opinions are often more offensive than my *******." - Twindaddy

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    I just saw that Whitefish bike park is opening in June., Angelfire is opening for a couple weeks for season pass holders and will then re-evaluate, i couldn't find anything for Trestle, Whistler hasn't committed to opening or closing. Fingers crossed we all continue to understand the situation and are able to adjust appropriately.

I'm really diggin it!
    They arenít hiring for summer 2020 N* or Whistler. So Iím guessing itís done for 2020

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by kattrap View Post
    If N*'s community stance is anything like Downieville's then expect no tourist season.

Here was a message from Sierra Buttes Trail Stewardship recently:
    "Sierra County is among the only counties in California with currently zero reported cases of COVID-19. With about 3,000 residents, the aging population has limited medical resources and is highly vulnerable to a viral outbreak. SBTS and its bike shop Yuba Expeditions invest immeasurable love into Downieville, and we don't want our operations or guests to be responsible for potentially introducing the virus. In addition to canceling the 2020 Downieville Classic, Yuba Expeditions in Downieville will be closed until further notice. At this time, we urge you to please not visit Downieville or other Lost Sierra mountain communities until government officials say it is safe to do so."

Locals Only. I wish other communities could enforce similar.
    No way Tahoe stays "locals only" in the summer. It's not a ghost town (sorry) like Downieville.

fc
    head minion Administrator

#locsonly will be a rallying cry we'll hear over and over this year.

It's gonna be a strange season.

Yosemite is still closed and 90 park employees got laid off. The harsh part is they all got kicked out of housing inside the park. Lose job, lose home in paradise.
    Last edited by fc; 05-18-2020 at 07:35 AM.
    IPA will save America

mtbr member
    This stinks.

mtbr member
    Tahoe's economy has to be STRUGGLING. locals only sounds great...untill there is zero money.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    If California moves into Phase 3, then not sure how Northstar can NOT open. If you can social distance in grocery stores (which actually doesn't really work), then you should be able to do it in an outdoor facility. I would imagine that they'd restrict lift rides to 1 rider per chair and would discourage groups from forming.

I'm still optimistic that something will be figured out with appropriate modifications.

Up In Smoke
    Can't really compare grocery stores with a business that promotes travel and tourism.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Train Wreck View Post
    Can't really compare grocery stores with a business that promotes travel and tourism.
    That's why I said "If California moves into Phase 3". Phase 3 includes "non essential travel and tourism" with businesses still observing modifications. California is currently in Phase 2, with some local areas continuing to mandate Phase I guidelines as they see fit based on their local situation.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Phase 3 will open the floodgates all bets are off once that goes into effect, I see mass travel/recreation until the next wave hits

Professional Troll
    Quote Originally Posted by ssalinas View Post
    Phase 3 will open the floodgates all bets are off once that goes into effect, I see mass travel/recreation until the next wave hits
    It's okay as long as I get to hit some sick Dogbone and Karpiel laps.

mtbr member
    Jul 2019

injured reserve list
    Quote Originally Posted by flylow23 View Post
    I don't get what the link has to do with N*? Can you explain since you posted it?
    You're not entitled to anything until you work hard and earn it. CMQ

mtbr member
    Jul 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by Scrub View Post
    I don't get what the link has to do with N*? Can you explain since you posted it?
    I would assume Vail (Epic) calls the shots. Epic runs both Vail and Nstar. It seems like they are at least entertaining idea of opening resorts.

injured reserve list
    I would assume Vail (Epic) calls the shots. Epic runs both Vail and Nstar. It seems like they are at least entertaining idea of opening resorts.
    Same ownership and high prices, different everything else. Even country opening guidelines. We hope N* opens though.
    You're not entitled to anything until you work hard and earn it. CMQ

mtbr member
    Call NS and ask.

mtbr member
    Sep 2018
    I doubt anyone at Northstar really knows. The most you might get is a "we'd love to open, but..." sort of canned PR response.

Honestly, I don't see any resorts opening until shelter-at-place mandates are relaxed enough that out-of-towners can stay at hotels. There's not enough money to be made from locals and the vanlife crowd to make it worth staffing/running the lifts and taking on the (small) risk of being the spot where the next outbreak happens.

mtbr member
    *Locals Only*???? **** that, I'll build my own bike park
    2020 Turbo Levo Comp
    2019 Strive CF 8
    2018 Farley EX 8

mtbr member
    Mar 2018
    I live in Reno and ride Truckee trails almost every day after work. Trails have been nuts here even midweek. Went for a moto ride around the lake last week and all the beaches on the NV side were packed with people (mostly CA plates). I would expect to see Tahoe have a lot more cases in a few weeks..

Rumors for North Star are August opening but who knows.. I would not be surprised if it does not open at all.

mtbr member
    Sep 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by skifishbum View Post
    Went for a moto ride around the lake last week and all the beaches on the NV side were packed with people (mostly CA plates). I would expect to see Tahoe have a lot more cases in a few weeks..
    Mostly CA plates because there's a lot more CA residents living near those beaches than NV residents, plus South Lake Tahoe's beaches are all still closed.

If you're concerned that there's going to be an outbreak in the Tahoe basin (or in Truckee) then please do not visit. Washoe County's Covid numbers don't look real great right now - https://coronavirus.jhu.edu/us-map

mtbr member
    It's got to be quite expensive to get a bike park operational and maintained for the season. Then to be running for a shortened season and probably at limited capacity, I don't see how that's profitable. I was hoping to go to Whistler in August but I don't know how they would manage lift lines.

mtbr member
    I am sure they are focusing more on getting heavenly in south lake open as fast as they can. That gondola they have is like printing money.

Ride On!
    My best guess is that they will be open for some period of time this season with economics being the primary driver. Locals might bitch some about "flatlanders" coming into the area, but they are going to bitch more if the economy takes a worse of a turn up there. Just my 2 cents.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by tahoebeau View Post
    I am sure they are focusing more on getting heavenly in south lake open as fast as they can. That gondola they have is like printing money.
    Vail Resorts (publicly traded) runs Heavenly and Northstar, they are likely waiting on the Feds to pass employer immunity from C19 employee lawsuits, depending on timing of that, then they can evaluate whether opening makes sense. Heavenly easier, since only a single lift and no trails.
    Romani ite domum

mtbr member
    Mar 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by sa12 View Post
    Mostly CA plates because there's a lot more CA residents living near those beaches than NV residents, plus South Lake Tahoe's beaches are all still closed.

If you're concerned that there's going to be an outbreak in the Tahoe basin (or in Truckee) then please do not visit. Washoe County's Covid numbers don't look real great right now - https://coronavirus.jhu.edu/us-map
    There are about 425k people who live in the greater Reno area (large portion are closer to incline than south lake), south lake only has like 30k people. Its pretty easy to spot tourists...

I am just pointing out observations and throwing out a prediction there will be a large uptick in cases with stuff opening up. No way in hell I am going inside any common place in Tahoe or Reno. Will be interesting to see how Vail handles this. Replace gondola with open air chairs.. etc.

Paper or plastic?
    Quote Originally Posted by mattwsurfer View Post
    It's got to be quite expensive to get a bike park operational and maintained for the season. Then to be running for a shortened season and probably at limited capacity, I don't see how that's profitable. I was hoping to go to Whistler in August but I don't know how they would manage lift lines.
    My understanding is that the bike park is not a money maker in normal times, so imagine in a pandemic.
    Faster is not always better, but it's always more fun

mtbr member

ďThe Northstar Enduro registration will open as planned on May 31 at 8pm PST. The two-day race, presented by Northstar California, is scheduled for Saturday & Sunday, August 22-23 . Northstar will fully refund entry fees if the event ends up being canceled to coronavirus pandemic restrictions.Ē

This was sent today by the CA enduro crew. This is the only race they have used the word canceled with. 2 others have been rescheduled and a 3rd is possibly moving. So it certainly sounds like northstar is an all or nothing on opening.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Looks like they're aiming for late June/early July:

"Itís hard to put any firm dates around anything right now, given how new information and guidance comes out every day. But our hope is to have our lifts turning, at all of our resorts, by late June or early July and be welcoming people in all our lodging and retail stores by that time as well."

https://unofficialnetworks.com/2020/...esorts-reopen/

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    Snow Summit is opening June 12th. Pretty sure Northstart will follow soon.

mtbr member
    I know Northstar is taking lodging reservations starting June 19th . But that doesnít mean they will open them . They are offering full refunds if they donít .

mtbr member
    Jul 2019
    CES China peak race is going forward.
    NS is taking sign ups for their race in August.

fingers crossed!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by noblige View Post
    Snow Summit is opening June 12th. Pretty sure Northstart will follow soon.
    How is Big Bear's bike park? I'd be interested in taking a trip down there if it's worth the drive.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ServeEm View Post
    How is Big Bear's bike park? I'd be interested in taking a trip down there if it's worth the drive.
    Not worth the drive. That is coming from someone with a season pass to snow summit. If you arenít already in the so cal area it isnít worth it. There is only 4 trails worth riding (like 6 total). If you are used to the short lift lines and lots of trails to choose from you will be disappointed.

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by austink26 View Post
    Not worth the drive. That is coming from someone with a season pass to snow summit. If you arenít already in the so cal area it isnít worth it. There is only 4 trails worth riding (like 6 total). If you are used to the short lift lines and lots of trails to choose from you will be disappointed.

How are lift lines during weekdays? I'll be down there end of month, thinking bringing my DH bike with me.

mtbr member
    How are lift lines during weekdays? I'll be down there end of month, thinking bringing my DH bike with me.
    During the week it is usually pretty mellow. Some times I have been able to basically ride right back to the chair. I wouldnít expect anything longer than 10min.

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    Northstar (July 15): Golf to open July 15. Additional activities to be announced later.
    https://www.snow.com/info/summer-2020-update.aspx

mtbr member
    Jul 2019
    Stuff is looking goooood.

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    Could one pedal Northstar? as in no lift, no ticket, all good?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by LEG LEG View Post
    Yes you could, no you shouldnít.

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by RBoardman View Post
    Yes you could, no you shouldnít.
    ?Por que?

No ups that won't piss people off?

No cool guy factor?

mtbr member
    I did last year

mtbr member
    ?Por que?

No ups that won't piss people off?

No cool guy factor?
    I believe northstar could fine you for trespassing on land they lease.

(Correct me if Iím wrong, but those trails definitely arenít open to the public without buying a pass and signing their liability waivers).

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    What does a lift ticket at NorthStar cost? Looking at their website its $109 weekdays, $139 weekends. Is that correct, if so that seems like a lot.

mtbr member
    Maybe for Skiing and snowboarding

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Lambow View Post
    What does a lift ticket at NorthStar cost? Looking at their website its $109 weekdays, $139 weekends. Is that correct, if so that seems like a lot.
    Their website only shows winter prices right now. Itís usually $57 or something I think.

mtbr member
    May 2017
    I believe northstar could fine you for trespassing on land they lease.

(Correct me if Iím wrong, but those trails definitely arenít open to the public without buying a pass and signing their liability waivers).
    I think people can just sign the waiver and pedal there. The ticket is for the lift. Not sure how you could sign waiver if they are not open to bike though.

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    $57 sounds more reasonable, thanks

I'm really diggin it!
    Vail shut down Stevens Pass here in WA for the summer. Hope itís not a trend

AKD
    Getting hillier every day
    Quote Originally Posted by upsha View Post
    I think people can just sign the waiver and pedal there. The ticket is for the lift. Not sure how you could sign waiver if they are not open to bike though.
    I spend about 1/3 of the year in Northstar. I've pedaled up Village Run, out the XC center trails to get to the TRT, and come back in via the stuff over by the Ritz. I went in one time and got a $0 "ticket" (liability waiver), but the shop guys laughed and said it wasn't necessary.

Things might be different in times of Coronavirus, and don't be a dick and bomb a trail they're actively maintaining, but otherwise you'll be fine. They got persnickety on social media about people skinning up and skiing down (again, liability stuff) but there are far better places to pedal a bike than Northstar (like, ahem, across the highway) so it's not a big deal in the summer.

mtbr member
    Dec 2019
    Northstar is opening the bike park July 10. Good birthday present for me

mtbr member
    I saw this ^ online today about their opening, good news.

Wēk SŰs
    Quote Originally Posted by AKD View Post
    $0 "ticket" (liability waiver)
    [...]
    far better places to pedal a bike than Northstar (like, ahem, across the highway) so it's not a big deal in the summer.
    They call it a pedal pass.

What's across the highway?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by IAmHolland View Post
    They call it a pedal pass.

What's across the highway?
    Not a ski lift.

Wēk SŰs
    Not a ski lift.

mtbr member
    Jan 2020
    N* Bike Park re-opening July 10 according to website: https://www.northstarcalifornia.com/...in-biking.aspx

Wonder what that will look like wrt social distancing, etc.?

mtbr member
    They also officially canceled their big enduro race. Iím definitely bummed about that and probably wonít make it up to northstar this year.

mtbr member
    Jul 2019
    I am wondering reason of nstar race cancellation?
    My thinking is something occurred at China Peak that nstar officials didn't like...wild guess?
    With that said, I am looking forward to them posting the cost of a season pass, as they have holded off on posting that information to their website.

mtbr member
    Bummer that Vista Express lift isn't planned to be used this season. Wonder if that will discourage some riders not to visit the park.

mtbr member
    Vista being closed sure as hell is discouraging me. The line to zephyr will probably extend halfway down village run.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by dwee View Post
    Vista being closed sure as hell is discouraging me. The line to zephyr will probably extend halfway down village run.
    Yup
    Hopefully if there are fewer lifts I will need less $$$ for a ticket
    Yeah right!

mtbr member
    $69 for a lift ticket with the bike park running at half capacity?!?

https://www.northstarcalifornia.com/...in-biking.aspx

Yea, no thanks!!

mtbr member
    China peak is way cheaper. Not the same as northstar, but might be more fun if you donít care about jumps or berms. Because there definitely arenít any of those.

And I like how the ďyouthĒ discount goes all the way up to 29 years old. Lol

mtbr member
    Jul 2019
    China peak is way cheaper. Not the same as northstar, but might be more fun if you donít care about jumps or berms. Because there definitely arenít any of those.

And I like how the ďyouthĒ discount goes all the way up to 29 years old. Lol
    Is there any comparable trails between the two...have ridden at N*. Any stuff besides berms and jumps that is missing? I like stuff like sticks and stones, gypsy, and boondocks at N*.

mtbr member
    Is there any comparable trails between the two...have ridden at N*. Any stuff besides berms and jumps that is missing? I like stuff like sticks and stones, gypsy, and boondocks at N*.
    There is this cool new tech company that developed a video sharing platform. Itís pretty popular, but understandable if you havenít heard of it yet. Iím sure there are more than a few videos of China peak on there already. YouTube.com is where youíll want to look. Enjoy.

https://youtu.be/xrZTk1Z881M

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by ServeEm View Post
    $69 for a lift ticket with the bike park running at half capacity?!?

https://www.northstarcalifornia.com/...in-biking.aspx

Yea, no thanks!!
    Takes literally 3 minutes to get over Vista side from Zephyr lift via Booster, that's what I've been doing last few years because Vista is weekends only.

mtbr member
    Jul 2019
    There is this cool new tech company that developed a video sharing platform. Itís pretty popular, but understandable if you havenít heard of it yet. Iím sure there are more than a few videos of China peak on there already. YouTube.com is where youíll want to look. Enjoy.

Ok.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Takes literally 3 minutes to get over Vista side from Zephyr lift via Booster, that's what I've been doing last few years because Vista is weekends only.
    But the elevation hurts so much....

Professional Troll
    I'd be very cautious about riding gnarly trails in the Tahoe (or even Bay) area right now. I had a buddy who got super f-ed up riding a week or 2 ago in South Lake and had to get airlifted to the ICU in Davis (closest level 1 trauma center). But there was a 26 hour wait for a bed since the ICU was filled with COVID patients. I assume with the recent spikes it's even worse now.

So it might be best to back off on the risks for a few weeks. I'm hanging up the DH bikes and sticking to road/gravel/mild XC for the next 2-3 weeks or so.

mtbr member
    China peak doesnít have any man made features. So no jump, wood features, etc. Anything they do have is rock based. It is fun, but it is the least ďbike parkĒ feeling bike park I have ridden. I canít say there is any particular trail there that I would say I love to ride/do laps on. Where as I love doing laps on gypsy and boondocks.

If you have never been and like raw chunk, definitely check it out. It is pretty remote so bring a cooler of food/drinks and also a bathing suit to take a dip in the creek after.

mtbr member

What a douche..

mtbr member
    Jul 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by austink26 View Post
    China peak doesnít have any man made features. So no jump, wood features, etc. Anything they do have is rock based. It is fun, but it is the least ďbike parkĒ feeling bike park I have ridden. I canít say there is any particular trail there that I would say I love to ride/do laps on. Where as I love doing laps on gypsy and boondocks.

If you have never been and like raw chunk, definitely check it out. It is pretty remote so bring a cooler of food/drinks and also a bathing suit to take a dip in the creek after.

Thanks. I think the raw, unmanicured trails is exactly what I am after.
    Will be sure to bring a cooler as it looks like nothing is near by. Never been in this area of the sierras.

mtbr member
    Thanks. I think the raw, unmanicured trails is exactly what I am after.
    Will be sure to bring a cooler as it looks like nothing is near by. Never been in this area of the sierras.
    You are going to want to check out the ďstoneĒ trail. Also known as stage 5 to anyone who has raced the enduro there, it is a real doozy. Idk if I would ride it if I wasnít racing it, levels of difficulty.

If you make a weekend trip out of it and have some friends or family to go with, get a cabin down by shaver lake and spend the day after the park hanging out on the lake.