North Carolina Noob Needs Help- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

North Carolina Noob Needs Help

I am taking a trip to San Francisco for a few days in early December with my wife who's attending a conference for work that week. I will have the daytime to myself, so I was wondering if there's any kind of mountain biking adventures I could get myself into. I won't be able to bring my bike because we're flying.

Any ideas, suggestions?

Thanks

Weird huh?
    Of course there are thousands of options around here.

Perhaps a bit more information about:

Where are you going to be staying, what area etc. What your experience level/fitness level is, etc.

With even that, many on these boards can recommend local shops to rent quality bikes, and the landscape to run them on.

btw, we got some pretty fantastic landscape around here!

Cheers and welcome to California
    BTW, you will NOT be able to get a decent pulled pig sandwich around here. Not even close. Sorry 'bout that.

El Cid is Spanish for The Cid..
    cmdrpiffle 7 points 1 day ago
    Cinco de Mayo is Spanish for Cinco de Mayo

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by cmdrpiffle
    Of course there are thousands of options around here.

Perhaps a bit more information about:

Where are you going to be staying, what area etc. What your experience level/fitness level is, etc.

With even that, many on these boards can recommend local shops to rent quality bikes, and the landscape to run them on.

btw, we got some pretty fantastic landscape around here!

Cheers and welcome to California
    I'm going to be staying a few blocks from Fisherman's Wharf. I'm in decent enough shape and not scared to hike when my fat ass can't make it up the climb.

I guess a more specific question would be are there any trails that have shops where I could rent a bike nearby? I won't be renting a car, so it would be difficult if the shop wasn't near the trails.

Thanks

aka baycat
    You can take Caltrain from SoMa area of SF down to Belmont. In Belmont you can rent a bike from Passion Trail Bikes and ride in Waterdog.

You can rent a decent hardtail from Blazing Saddles in SF and ride the headlands. Very scenic ride through Fishermans Wharf, Marina, Crissy Field, across Golden Gate Bridge before doing some riding in the Marin Headlands. You only need a hardtail since it is mostly fireroad. Did that after work yesterday.

Ariolimax columbianus
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan G.
    You can take Caltrain from SoMa area of SF down to Belmont. In Belmont you can rent a bike from Passion Trail Bikes and ride in Waterdog.

You can rent a decent hardtail from Blazing Saddles in SF and ride the headlands. Very scenic ride through Fishermans Wharf, Marina, Crissy Field, across Golden Gate Bridge before doing some riding in the Marin Headlands. You only need a hardtail since it is mostly fireroad. Did that after work yesterday.
    what he said, get a map of the marin headlands too.....if you can get to the top of mt tam, you'll get a nice view, i guess it just depends on how much time you have. might wanna bring a rain coat just in case. search marin headlands or mt tamalpais, and you might get some good info too.

Feral Roadie
    The renting bike part is covered in other post. But you can take bikes on BART and Caltrain, I doubt any rides you can get to that way are better than the Marin Headlands, but it is an option for day 3.

My 2 cents. The road biking opportunities around here are some of the best road riding in the USA in my experience. The MTB you can get to w/o a rental car or at least an hour or more of road climbing, not so much. But you have to like road riding...

_ Booker C. Bense

mtbr member
    not to hate on waterdog, but its hardly what i would recommend to someone to sample the goods our area has to offer

although its your easiest option without a car, i personally dont thinks its worth renting a bike for

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Hi ResurrectedNOOB,

Please feel free to browse thru our "visitors - local riding advice" page at the top of this site.

Or use the link : http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=415055

In it you will find riding info from San Francisco City, how to get around without a car (public transportation), where the closest trails are, where to rent good bikes...etc.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Loll
    Hi ResurrectedNOOB,

Please feel free to browse thru our "visitors - local riding advice" page at the top of this site.

Or use the link : http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=415055

In it you will find riding info from San Francisco City, how to get around without a car (public transportation), where the closest trails are, where to rent good bikes...etc.
    HA! Guess I should have paid more attention before I posted it.

dirtbag
    Huh? Did someone say pulled pork bbq sammich? Sweet baby jesus, I gots me a mad on for one right about now!

I second the Passion Trails / Waterdog and Marin headlands suggestions as logistically easy options.

btw - there is one place in SF that does a decent pork bbq sammich. Baby Blues BBQ over in Bernal Heights. Not quite the vinegar based NC-style bbq but ok.
    Amolan

Members who have read this thread: 0