North*/Downieville combo - what motel/hotel to stay?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Apr 2004

North*/Downieville combo - what motel/hotel to stay?

Hey there,

Going to do a combo North*/Downieville weekend and was hoping I could get some ideas on where to stay.

Me and a buddy will be doing Northstar on Fri and want to spend the night somewhere and then head to Dville.

Any suggestions for accommodations?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by camus
    Hey there,

Going to do a combo North*/Downieville weekend and was hoping I could get some ideas on where to stay.

Me and a buddy will be doing Northstar on Fri and want to spend the night somewhere and then head to Dville.

Any suggestions for accommodations?
    Did that 3 weeks ago, Northstar on Friday, left there at 8pm, drove to the top of downieville and camped at the shuttle dropoff point. Got up in the morning rode Sunrise, Butchers, third divide, and first divide. In town by 10am, breakfast at the pizza place (they made a killer breakfast, then caught the 11am shuttle back up for another run, then back to the pizza place for pizza, beer and some jumping off the bridge. Had a blast.

So if your into camping, you can pretty much pull of the road near Packer Saddle and camp.
    Take Gravity For A Ride

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    I don't know what your budget is but if you want to stay in town in D-ville, the Downieville river inn resort is funky but pretty nice. 530-289-3308. I have always stay at the condos at Northstar. It's a good deal if you have enough people to fill one up. They kick in two lift tickets and gift certificates that you can use at Starbucks or the mid mountain lunch place. Nice accomidations but again, it depends on how much you want to spend. Norhtstar 530-562-2205

MTB parts whore
    Apr 2006
    This w/e? Short of camping, it's prolly a little late for anything in DV. But, you can call and try. +1 on the DV River Inn. I would recommend staying at N* or in/near Truckee. There are lots of hotels there; not particularly cheap but many include a hot breakfast.

Surly OG
    Sierra Hot springs...... for an earthy crunchy treat.
    Earn your turns. )'(

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Thanks for all the info!

I should have been more specific in my original post.

We are just looking for a cheap place to shower up and sleep before heading to Dville.

I've been calling and emailing around to a lot of the hotels in the Truckee/North Shore area and they all are $125 or more.

A sidenote: my riding buddy's having $$ troubles right now so I told him I would pay for the room. Of course, I had some $50-60 motel 8 in mind when I mad this promise.

I had thought about camping but that would mean having to round up some gear and stuff, no showers, and, at the risk of sounding like a wuss, I hate camping (unless it would be in a big, phat RV)

That said, are there any cheap, crappy hotels for cheap around the Northstar area? Thanks again for any more suggestions.

Camus

menace to myself & others
    Aug 2005

Showers?

Donner Lake State Park has showers if you camp there. Bring quarters, though.

MTB parts whore
    Apr 2006
    I hate camping (unless it would be in a big, phat RV)
    +1
    That said, are there any cheap, crappy hotels for cheap around the Northstar area?
    Not really. You could go into Reno, but then the drive to DV would be longer. Your best bet for a cheap motel would be to head back toward Sacramento. Some buddies have stayed at the Motel 6/Super 8 in the Auburn area and headed to DV from there.

Old,slow,still havin fun.
    Truckee locals - did the Holiday Inn Express close? It seem to have disappeared from the Holiday Inn web site? Or what did it turn into?

I think it's almost impossible to find a decent motel in Tahoe in-season for $50-60. The good news is rates get cheaper after labor day and the trails are still great.

mtbr member
    Jul 2004

Harringtons in Sierra City

It's around $80/night, has WifI, a good restaurant and bar.

The Dville shuttles will often pick you up from there if you need
    Live to Ride, Ride to Live

mtbr member
    Hampton Inn would be a good place - close to Nstar (right there by the airport) and on the way to Dville.

wjb
    mtbr member
    Bassetts has some rooms at the bottom of the hill

http://www.bassetts-station.com/motel.html

You could also try Graeagle. Rode D'ville 2 weeks ago on a Wednesday looking forward to pizza and beer. The whole town was shut down. The only thing open was 2 dive bars. I hope you have better luck on the weekend

Members who have read this thread: 0