Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Dec 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by fc View Post
    my buddies are in love with their 1990s Toyota Land Cruisers. Wheelin every weekend now.

Any good?
    Yep. Best vehicle I've ever owned. Gas milage sucks, but it will do everything else I ask. Hardcore wheelin on the Rubicon trail, extended offroad trips to Moab, camping with the family, and comfortable leather and decent stereo for the commute.

NorCal Rigs that Tacomas Envy-fzj80-side.jpg
    NorCal Rigs that Tacomas Envy-poison1.jpg

fc
    head minion Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by Shipwreck View Post
    Yep. Best vehicle I've ever owned. Gas milage sucks, but it will do everything else I ask. Hardcore wheelin on the Rubicon trail, extended offroad trips to Moab, camping with the family, and comfortable leather and decent stereo for the commute.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	FZJ80 side.jpg 
Views:	60 
Size:	483.8 KB 
ID:	1230354

Name:	Poison1.jpg 
Views:	54 
Size:	100.7 KB 
ID:	1230355
    it looks soooooo darn good. And to feel that sheet metal too is to realize robust quality.
    IPA will save America

Formerly of Kent
    I always tell people that thereís a very good reason that Landcruisers, 4Runners and the Hi-Lux in particular are the preferred vehicles of warlords and drug lords all over the world. You just canít kill them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Death from Below.

Self Appointed Judge&Jury
    Quote Originally Posted by Le Duke View Post
    I always tell people that thereís a very good reason that Tacomaís, Landcruisers, 4Runners and the Hi-Lux in particular are the preferred vehicles of warlords and drug lords all over the world. You just canít kill them.

Fixed that for you.
    Quote Originally Posted by mileslong View Post
    I passionately remove rocks and corners and other stuff I find too hard to ride.

Formerly of Kent

NorCal Rigs that Tacomas Envy

Quote Originally Posted by DIRTJUNKIE View Post
    Fixed that for you.
    Iíve never seen a Tacoma in AFG or other countries. Many a Hilux, though. And lots of 4Runners.

Although the most popular vehicle there was the Corolla. By far. That and Mercedes 18-wheelers. Iím guessing the average Afghan drives rougher roads in his Corolla than most Tacoma-driving NorCal residents.

Death from Below.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Here's my entry the most overengineered Mall Crawler. Lexus GX 470 they are badged as the Landcruiser Prado outside America.

NorCal Rigs that Tacomas Envy-lexi-4-5-15.jpg

Here, diagonally!
    Quote Originally Posted by WHALENARD View Post
    Spotted in WA
    Attachment 1230296
    Love to see these old restored musclecars. Nicely done in this case, although I can't help but notice that one of the rear taillight bulbs is out.

Moderator Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by WHALENARD View Post
    Spotted in WA
    Attachment 1230296
    I bet that guy has an awesome set of tools.

Moderator Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Le Duke View Post
    Iíve never seen a Tacoma in AFG or other countries. Many a Hilux, though. And lots of 4Runners.

Although the most popular vehicle there was the Corolla. By far. That and Mercedes 18-wheelers. Iím guessing the average Afghan drives rougher roads in his Corolla than most Tacoma-driving NorCal residents.

An interesting article on that very topic.

https://www.khaama.com/why-the-toyot...rite-car-8765/
    Last edited by 5k bike 50cent legs; 3 Weeks Ago at 06:27 PM.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by 5k bike 50cent legs View Post
    i bet that guy is a tool.
    fify
    Its all Shits and Giggles until somebody Giggles and Shits

fc
    Scout II!

I'm getting mine very soon.NorCal Rigs that Tacomas Envy-img_0509.jpg

NorCal Rigs that Tacomas Envy-img_0522.jpg

NorCal Rigs that Tacomas Envy-screen-shot-2019-01-01-8.56.28-am.jpg

NorCal Rigs that Tacomas Envy-screen-shot-2019-01-01-8.56.55-am.jpg
    IPA will save America

mtbr member

The backup rig in Boise

This thing rides nice! It was purchased from the local Land Rover Independent mechanic so we are reasonably sure it's in good condition (the bonus is that the mechanic's shop is 1/2 mile away from my front door).
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails NorCal Rigs that Tacomas Envy-img_0056.jpg  

Life's a Garden, dig it!
    Quote Originally Posted by flipnidaho View Post
    This thing rides nice! It was purchased from the local Land Rover Independent mechanic so we are reasonably sure it's in good condition (the bonus is that the mechanic's shop is 1/2 mile away from my front door).
    Let's hope they're better than they used to be, or you'll want the mechanic next door.
    Why Johnny Ringo, you look like someone just walked over your grave.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by chuckha62 View Post
    Let's hope they're better than they used to be, or you'll want the mechanic next door.
    It's always Russian Roulette with used cars. With Land Rovers, it's more like Russian Roulette with a semi-automatic. But I'm keeping my finger's crossed since I got this truck checked over pretty thoroughly.

Life's a Garden, dig it!
    It's always Russian Roulette with used cars. With Land Rovers, it's more like Russian Roulette with a semi-automatic. But I'm keeping my finger's crossed since I got this truck checked over pretty thoroughly.
    Yeah, they do ride VERY nice though, don't they? Make you want to take a chance on them.

mtbr member
    Yeah, they do ride VERY nice though, don't they? Make you want to take a chance on them.
    Totally. Specially when a newer used RR costs way less than a comparable Lexus GX, LX, Toyota Sequoia/Land Cruiser/4 Runner. But if given a choice, my first choice will still be an old Land Cruiser or Sequoia. It's amazing how a 2012 Range Rover Supercharged that costs over $100k, can sell for $20k or less (1 owner, clean carfax, 12 month extended warranty).

Moderator Moderator
    Totally. Specially when a newer used RR costs way less than a comparable Lexus GX, LX, Toyota Sequoia/Land Cruiser/4 Runner. But if given a choice, my first choice will still be an old Land Cruiser or Sequoia. It's amazing how a 2012 Range Rover Supercharged that costs over $100k, can sell for $20k or less (1 owner, clean carfax, 12 month extended warranty).
    Yep! The best way to buy a RR is used. The reliability of the newer RR is much better than the old ones. Still expensive to work on however.

That is insane depreciation. Plus the upcoming turbo expenditures. I guess it equals out when you figure that in anyways.

Sweet ride and congrats. I mean that seriously, It is a sweet ride.
    I passionately remove rocks and corners and other stuff I find too hard to ride.

mtbr member
    That is insane depreciation. Plus the upcoming turbo expenditures. I guess it equals out when you figure that in anyways.

Sweet ride and congrats. I mean that seriously, It is a sweet ride.
    The crazy thing is, the 2006 RR Supercharged that I bought "started" at $90k new. I picked it up for less than $10k (it had 100k miles at the time I purchased it). Similar vintage/mileage Toyota Land Cruisers are selling for $20k to $24k.

Moderator Moderator
    The crazy thing is, the 2006 RR Supercharged that I bought "started" at $90k new. I picked it up for less than $10k (it had 100k miles at the time I purchased it). Similar vintage/mileage Toyota Land Cruisers are selling for $20k to $24k.
    That is a really sweet Rover, btw. Want to see really insane depreciation, look at Mercedes S Classes.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Tomor View Post
    Attachment 1229992

This thing seems like the perfect Santa Cruz Rig. Can store both the surfboard and wetsuit at the same time as bike and gear. No real conversion done to the inside, just a couple extra seats and a lot of room for changing and storage.
    I've got van envy but have trouble rationalizing the ~35k purchase price just for toy hauling and mild camping. Help?

sbd
    mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Scout II!

I'm getting mine very soon.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0509.jpg 
Views:	45 
Size:	388.6 KB 
ID:	1231638

Name:	IMG_0522.jpg 
Views:	39 
Size:	422.6 KB 
ID:	1231639

Name:	Screen Shot 2019-01-01 at 8.56.28 AM.jpg 
Views:	35 
Size:	287.9 KB 
ID:	1231640

Name:	Screen Shot 2019-01-01 at 8.56.55 AM.jpg 
Views:	34 
Size:	336.2 KB 
ID:	1231642
    I had one for ages. They are capable but so HEAVY

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

Nobody
    My kid's first car is the OG Volvo. Got it for $2k with 187k miles and a meticulous service history.

It's gonna hit 200k miles today!!!Attachment 1229832
    #winning That is an awesome rig, FC
    Hunt Hard, Kill Swiftly, Waste Nothing, Offer No Apologies...

Captain One Lung Administrator
    Scout II!

I'm getting mine very soon.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0509.jpg 
Views:	45 
Size:	388.6 KB 
ID:	1231638
    When I lived with my dad up in Oregon (6th - 7th grade) he drove a Scout or Scout II and then a Jeepster Commando like this. I thought they were janky AF at the time because we were dirt poor but now I realize how cool they actually were. His friends had Scouts and Land Cruisers and they would roam all over eastern Oregon hunting and fishing. I learned to drive in the Scout because he was too drunk to finish driving home after a day of fishing at Lake Owyhee. lol

1967 Jeepster Commando
    NorCal Rigs that Tacomas Envy-18.jpg

fc
    Quote Originally Posted by sbd View Post
    I had one for ages. They are capable but so HEAVY

I wonder why it's built like a tractor???
    IPA will save America

fc
    Quote Originally Posted by Shamis View Post
    #winning That is an awesome rig, FC
    Just hit 200,000 miles! My son left it with us this year so my wife drives it to work everyday. Sold our Subaru since this drives way better.NorCal Rigs that Tacomas Envy-img_1599.jpg
    IPA will save America

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Cornfield View Post
    That's a nice looking 4Runner! I was thinking of getting a 3rd Gen to complement my 1st Gen Taco, but I've been wondering about the 4th Gens, they look kinda dorky stock, but really sweet (like yours) after they're done up. I'd keep my Taco (2wd) and use it as a work truck and get a 4Runner to lift and make into a more capable ORV/vacation rig. Looks like you can find them for around 10-12K.
    Sorry for the lag - missed this. It's been amazing - has the V8 also, which none of the other generations do, and can actually accelerate up a hill. About 155k on the clock at present. Highly recommend, though they still sell for exactly what I purchased this for 8 years ago. Get a mall queen and introduce it to dirt!

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Thanks! Nice Taco!

Build out includes: OME suspension lift plus recently added a 1" body lift to gain some frame clearance and run 33's. Allpro upper control arms, SS brake lines, Shrockworks bumper, Budbuilt skids (though they have clearance issues with the exhaust cross-over pipe), Stubbs sliders, Baja rack, Gibson cat-back. Only other item I'd like is a rear bumper, to get the tire off the roof.

Quote Originally Posted by Truckee29 View Post
    I Love the look of the Pro Comp 7031 wheels. What lift goodies do I see in there?
    The 2Gen Taco's and 3Gen 4Runners use the same front coils and UCA's

Attachment 1230112
    Attachment 1230113

Moderator Moderator
    I just replaced the OEM Michelin Energy Saver A/S on my Tahoe with Cooper AT3 4S. They handle so much better on road than the Michelins and mpg doesn't seem to be affected. Will be trying them in Tahoe soon in mud and snow.

Anybody want a set of Michelin Energy Saver A/S 265/65R18 with 1300 miles on them, they are for sale cheap.

mtbr member
    Sep 2015
    I just replaced the OEM Michelin Energy Saver A/S on my Tahoe with Cooper AT3 4S. They handle so much better on road than the Michelins and mpg doesn't seem to be affected. Will be trying them in Tahoe soon in mud and snow.

Anybody want a set of Michelin Energy Saver A/S 265/65R18 with 1300 miles on them, they are for sale cheap.
    nice choice!! Cooper makes a great tire. i think i want the AT version next.
    Santa Cruz 5010 C
    Surly Crosscheck.

mtbr member
    Sep 2015
    i'm pretty sure my next truck will be a half ton. my current tacoma is starting to make odd noises. it chirps from somewhere on wide sweeping right turns. not the brakes.

as far as nexties..i think i will drive the 3.5EB-F150 to the GMC dealership to test the new AT4 Sierra. just keep going back and forth until i see a clear winner.
    Santa Cruz 5010 C
    Surly Crosscheck.

Quote Originally Posted by Boomchakabowwow View Post
    nice choice!! Cooper makes a great tire. i think i want the AT version next.
    That is the AT. They make a P-metric (AT3 4S), a Light Truck (AT3 LT) and a rugged off-road Light Truck with aggressive sidewall armoring (AT3 XLT)

Quote Originally Posted by Boomchakabowwow View Post
    i'm pretty sure my next truck will be a half ton. my current tacoma is starting to make odd noises. it chirps from somewhere on wide sweeping right turns. not the brakes.

as far as nexties..i think i will drive the 3.5EB-F150 to the GMC dealership to test the new AT4 Sierra. just keep going back and forth until i see a clear winner.
    If you're not brand biased check out the Ram Rebel as well.

Life's a Garden, dig it!
    Quote Originally Posted by JCWages View Post
    When I lived with my dad up in Oregon (6th - 7th grade) he drove a Scout or Scout II and then a Jeepster Commando like this. I thought they were janky AF at the time because we were dirt poor but now I realize how cool they actually were. His friends had Scouts and Land Cruisers and they would roam all over eastern Oregon hunting and fishing. I learned to drive in the Scout because he was too drunk to finish driving home after a day of fishing at Lake Owyhee. lol

1967 Jeepster Commando

Name:	a-18.jpg 
Views:	25 
Size:	156.3 KB 
ID:	1232000
    They were janky for sure and dead simple. Love the old ones.

Moderator Moderator
    The Ram Rebel is pretty bad ass. You can get it with a 33 gallon gas tank as well.

Moderator Moderator
    That is the AT. They make a P-metric (AT3 4S), a Light Truck (AT3 LT) and a rugged off-road Light Truck with aggressive sidewall armoring (AT3 XLT)
    My Tahoe is still a mall crawler at the moment, but little by little getting it in shape. AT3 4S look good on it, would look better with a 2 inch lift/level.

NorCal Rigs that Tacomas Envy-img_0920.jpg

sbd
    mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    I wonder why it's built like a tractor???
    Sadly they are just heavy, not really that strong

Upcyclist
    Quote Originally Posted by BraapTastic View Post
    Sorry for the lag - missed this. It's been amazing - has the V8 also, which none of the other generations do, and can actually accelerate up a hill. About 155k on the clock at present. Highly recommend, though they still sell for exactly what I purchased this for 8 years ago. Get a mall queen and introduce it to dirt!
    It'll be a while till I can get something else, most likely one of those. I was checking out the dash in one parked next to me at the store, when I turned to get into my truck I saw a guy staring at me, probably thought I was scoping it out, lol! They do look nice inside, would be a nice change, been in a 1st Gen Taco for 20 years!
    By continuing to browse my posts, you agree to accept my use of cookies.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    The Ram Rebel is pretty bad ass. You can get it with a 33 gallon gas tank as well.

the 36 gallon swimming-pool-of-a-gas-tank in my raptor does come in handy...it easily outpaces my bladder (the one that holds my pee).

Yes, the Rams are coming on strong. the car rags seem to agree that it's a really good truck.

Moderator Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by riderup View Post
    the 36 gallon swimming-pool-of-a-gas-tank in my raptor does come in handy...it easily outpaces my bladder (the one that holds my pee).

Yes, the Rams are coming on strong. the car rags seem to agree that it's a really good truck.
    Yes, I'll have $150 on pump 3 please!

used to be RipRoar
    The TraxFactory mo-beel...2001 Sequoia...love this rig

NorCal Rigs that Tacomas Envy-img_20180804_104305586.jpg

If you ever see this rig at a trailhead, mention mtbr and ill stoke you on a Sweat Buster! my pleasure..

Quote Originally Posted by TraxFactory View Post
    The TraxFactory mo-beel...2001 Sequoia...love this rig

Name:	IMG_20180804_104305586.jpg 
Views:	73 
Size:	436.3 KB 
ID:	1232070

If you ever see this rig at a trailhead, mention mtbr and ill stoke you on a Sweat Buster! my pleasure..
    Love the styling of the first several years of the Sequoia. A nice size between the smaller 4ĖRunner and larger Landcruiser. With V8 power makes for a nice platform.

My Tahoe is still a mall crawler at the moment, but little by little getting it in shape. AT3 4S look good on it, would look better with a 2 inch lift/level.
    ]
    It's a damn nice mall crawler.

used to be RipRoar
    Love the styling of the first several years of the Sequoia. A nice size between the smaller 4ĖRunner and larger Landcruiser. With V8 power makes for a nice platform.
    Yep, it got a little fugly in ~2008.
    You can usually find a better deal on a Sequoia compared to a Runner. It's basically a Tundra and the 4.7 gets same mpg as the runner 3.4, just as capable of seeing 300K+.

Sold my last runner with, 334k and the thing barely burned oil.

used to be RipRoar
    Taptalk jackup - delete me

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    Yes, I'll have $150 on pump 3 please!
    most gas stations cut you off at $100...which is an absurd policy...but it is what it is.

On a roadtrip this summer (out to grand teton / yellowstone / glacier / banff / jasper / kootenai / etc) I managed to go just over 700 miles on a tank...which was pretty crazy. It was a leg with a lot of descending ;-)

Moderator Moderator
    Tested on steep wet Page Mill today. Traction control off 2WD on wet 20% section got no wheel spin with heavy acceleration and no skidding on heavy braking. Unlike many AT tires, these tires seem to not sacrifice wet traction.

Tested on steep wet Page Mill today. Traction control off 2WD on wet 20% section got no wheel spin with heavy acceleration and no skidding on heavy braking. Unlike many AT tires, these tires seem to not sacrifice wet traction.
    Awesome! Good to hear.

fc
    built like a tractor

NorCal Rigs that Tacomas Envy-49855642_1410688105733307_2831585124078845952_o.jpg
    IPA will save America

Moderator Moderator
    If you really want something that's built like a tractor, indestructible, easy to work on, will turn heads, and go nearly anywhere: Unimog. Interesting community of people who own these, anyone on here have one?

NorCal Rigs that Tacomas Envy-unimog-1600x1205.jpg

fc
    If you really want something that's built like a tractor, indestructible, easy to work on, will turn heads, and go nearly anywhere: Unimog. Interesting community of people who own these, anyone on here have one?
    Those have portal axles, the ultimate offroad unfair advantage.

NorCal Rigs that Tacomas Envy-screen-shot-2019-01-06-9.47.41-am.jpg

Game OVER!
    IPA will save America

Moderator Moderator
    Those have portal axles, the ultimate offroad unfair advantage.

Name:	Screen Shot 2019-01-06 at 9.47.41 AM.jpg 
Views:	47 
Size:	128.3 KB 
ID:	1232218

Game OVER!
    Also have extremely low center of gravity and short/narrow wheelbase. One of my friends has one, it is insane what it can do. I believe Unimog is the only production vehicle made with a flexible frame by design?

Also have extremely low center of gravity and short/narrow wheelbase. One of my friends has one, it is insane what it can do. I believe Unimog is the only production vehicle made with a flexible frame by design
    As well as Ellsworth.

fc
    As well as Ellsworth.
    you so awesome!!!
    IPA will save America

used to be RipRoar
    Also have extremely low center of gravity and short/narrow wheelbase. One of my friends has one, it is insane what it can do. I believe Unimog is the only production vehicle made with a flexible frame by design?

My buddy has a mid 60's unimog radio vehicle... Thing is bad ass go anywhere... And yes portals with mechanically engaged lockers...ahhh all this makes me miss my CJ7...dang

Moderator Moderator
    I love those Unimog videos, most of which have 5 drunk dudes in Russia riding in the bed in crazy terrain.

There's a few bad ass LMTV's for sale on craigslist right now. No more toys for me for awhile, however. Unless someone has a garage I can store it in and not tell my wife!

Moderator Moderator
    Mudflaps!

NorCal Rigs that Tacomas Envy-img_0954.jpg

NorCal Rigs that Tacomas Envy-img_0956.jpg

NorCal Rigs that Tacomas Envy-img_0957.jpg

This widowmaker has been blocking vehicle access on this side of the Preserve for 3yrs. I finally had enough certified help today that it was time to remove it. I used my Motomoric 30'x3" recovery strap and D shackle hitch receiver. The road was steep, wet and muddy so I was trying to keep from tearing up the road. 4Wh Lo and steady throttle application made it all work despite the back end rising up as I pulled.

fc
    This widowmaker has been blocking vehicle access on this side of the Preserve for 3yrs. I finally had enough certified help today that it was time to remove it. I used my Motomoric 30'x3" recovery strap and D shackle hitch receiver. The road was steep, wet and muddy so I was trying to keep from tearing up the road. 4Wh Lo and steady throttle application made it all work despite the back end rising up as I pulled.

Pure gold! All work related too
    IPA will save America

I carry the recovery kit in the truck during winter months in case I need to pull someone out of a ditch but it worked pretty well here.

Basic Recovery Kit (disregard the Smittybilt compressor)
    NorCal Rigs that Tacomas Envy-o4fbclp.jpg

When I bought the kit it was $65
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I was waiting for something to break free and the strap to come flying back smashing into the truck. Like so many other entertaining YouTube videos.

So disappoint JC.

Moderator Moderator
    I was waiting for something to break free and the strap to come flying back smashing into the truck. Like so many other entertaining YouTube videos.

So disappoint JC.
    These guys failed geometry class.

OMG - thatís some funny stuff. They need a shorter rope. So many standing around and not one of them saw that.

mtbr member
    Sep 2015
    thanks..i like the Rebel..the Rebels front grill? not so much.
    Santa Cruz 5010 C
    Surly Crosscheck.

These guys failed geometry class.

]
    LOL that's crazy. I didn't even have to watch the video to know where it was headed.

LOL that's crazy. I didn't even have to watch the video to know where it was headed.
    Yep, I was LMAO before clicking on it. After clicking I just shook my head.

mtbr member
    Jan 2019
    I believe that incident goes a bit beyond merely failing a geometry class....
    It could have qualified for a strong entry in the years' Darwin Award had the driver died.

Moderator Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Radium View Post
    I believe that incident goes a bit beyond merely failing a geometry class....
    It could have qualified for a strong entry in the years' Darwin Award had the driver died.
    Knuckleheads!

Knuckleheads!
    Itís a keeper. Iíll be sending that via email to friends and family.

sbd
    mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    I used to wheel a lot in the 90s. First rig was a Scout. It was nice. Built it up over a number of years. Then I sold it and built this LWB Samurai.

Don't miss the Scout. Miss this rig frequently...

Quote Originally Posted by sbd View Post
    I used to wheel a lot in the 90s. First rig was a Scout. It was nice. Built it up over a number of years. Then I sold it and built this LWB Samurai.

Don't miss the Scout. Miss this rig frequently...

Yep, the Samurais have a huge following in the 4x4 crowd. Small with a short wheelbase, even smaller and shorter than a CJ Jeep. Many serious Jeep guys went the way of a customized Samurai.

A buddy of mine owned a shop in San Diego where he only worked on Toyota trucks. After a 20 year stint he sold the shop. He had access to every customized thing for the Toyotaís and always had a tricked out 4x4 Toy Truck in his possession. I didnít talk to him for several years after he sold the shop but come to find out he went the way of the Samurai. He swears itís the funnest 4x4 heís ever owned or wheeled. And he said heís gone where Jeeps have failed. But his is the tiny Samurai.

sbd
    mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    My wheelbase was actually pretty long, about 108 inches. That made room for a Toyota trans and two tcases stacked.

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    Yep, the Samurais have a huge following in the 4x4 crowd. Small with a short wheelbase, even smaller and shorter than a CJ Jeep. Many serious Jeep guys went the way of a customized Samurai.

A buddy of mine owned a shop in San Diego where he only worked on Toyota trucks. After a 20 year stint he sold the shop. He had access to every customized thing for the Toyotaís and always had a tricked out 4x4 Toy Truck in his possession. I didnít talk to him for several years after he sold the shop but come to find out he went the way of the Samurai. He swears itís the funnest 4x4 heís ever owned or wheeled. And he said heís gone where Jeeps have failed. But his is the tiny Samurai.
    I've had two Samurais over the years... fantastic little wheelers. I pulled many other vehicles out, Jeeps, Broncos, you name it. Their greatest strength is also their greatest weakness - they are so small. They can't carry enough gear to do anything fun with other than just drive around, which is fun if that's what you are looking for, but for anything else is a bit of a PITA. Perfect beach rig though, convertible, floats on top of any sand you want, and fun to drive around town. I will try to find a picture of my last one - was lifted via Old Man Emu spring over kit, on 33/12.50 BFG Mud Terrain tires, with a super low 6.5/1 xfer case and ARB air locker front and rear. It would go anywhere, effortlessly.

sbd
    mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by SpeedyStein View Post
    I've had two Samurais over the years... fantastic little wheelers. I pulled many other vehicles out, Jeeps, Broncos, you name it. Their greatest strength is also their greatest weakness - they are so small. They can't carry enough gear to do anything fun with other than just drive around, which is fun if that's what you are looking for, but for anything else is a bit of a PITA. Perfect beach rig though, convertible, floats on top of any sand you want, and fun to drive around town. I will try to find a picture of my last one - was lifted via Old Man Emu spring over kit, on 33/12.50 BFG Mud Terrain tires, with a super low 6.5/1 xfer case and ARB air locker front and rear. It would go anywhere, effortlessly.
    Yep

Moderator Moderator
    Took my old beater QX4 into the shop to get a 2" lift, new springs/struts, brakes, and bigger tires with spacers. I thought about getting rid of it, but decided to keep it and drive it as it only has 130k on it. It's a car I only use for MTB and surfing, and I don't care if it gets beat up etc. Will probably do a little off road with it once back. The R50 Pathfinder platform is a pretty good 4x4.

Going for something like this:

NorCal Rigs that Tacomas Envy-p1000666_2.jpg

Life's a Garden, dig it!
    Good call on the QX.

I find myself fixated on FJ40s again. I've had two and have the bug again. I think it's time to begin the serious search.

mtbr member
    Good call on the QX.

I find myself fixated on FJ40s again. I've had two and have the bug again. I think it's time to begin the serious search.
    Yeah buddy! Better do it quick. They are not getting cheaper.

Life's a Garden, dig it!
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottParsley View Post
    Yeah buddy! Better do it quick. They are not getting cheaper.
    Man, you got that right. I'm going back and forth between complete (need very little) vehicles and minor projects. I have an extra FJ motor (or will have in a couple of weeks), so I'm open to options. I prefer stock, but the right small block swapped rig would be considered.

mtbr member
    Jun 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by Cornfield View Post
    I've been wanting something like that, or a 4Runner so I got a bit excited. After looking at them real quick; initial cost is cheap ~5-6K, but 12-14mpg is a deal breaker. Maybe they're really good off road?
    Our 2013 4runner gets about 13-15 city, 20-22 highway. Not much better, and The cruiser is bigger and better offroad. The 4r is much nicer for trips and such.

Moderator Moderator
    This is a pretty cool website that tracks real world data on MPG.

Browse All Cars | Fuelly

fc
    Ready for spring
    IPA will save America

Formerly of Kent
    Ready for spring
    After poorly/improperly/not broken-in hiking boots, the #2 item returned to our local REI. Followed by sleeping pads at #3.

In full-size form, that is.
    Death from Below.

mtbr member
    Took my old beater QX4 into the shop to get a 2" lift, new springs/struts, brakes, and bigger tires with spacers. I thought about getting rid of it, but decided to keep it and drive it as it only has 130k on it. It's a car I only use for MTB and surfing, and I don't care if it gets beat up etc. Will probably do a little off road with it once back. The R50 Pathfinder platform is a pretty good 4x4.

Going for something like this:

Name:	P1000666_2.jpg 
Views:	31 
Size:	117.3 KB 
ID:	1233672
    130K is low miles on that truck. I think Pathfinders are the most underrated SUVs in that era (can't say anything about the new ones). I love mine... it looks good inside and out.. and definitely more luxurious than the WD21 that it replaced. I actually got lift springs from an NPORA friend so I will end up getting a lift anyway.

5Kbike... how much is the shop charging you for suspension install?

Moderator Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by ron m. View Post
    130K is low miles on that truck. I think Pathfinders are the most underrated SUVs in that era (can't say anything about the new ones). I love mine... it looks good inside and out.. and definitely more luxurious than the WD21 that it replaced. I actually got lift springs from an NPORA friend so I will end up getting a lift anyway.

5Kbike... how much is the shop charging you for suspension install?
    Looks like new struts, shocks, springs, 2inch spacers are about $1200 installed. The rear coil springs are a rip off for that year model, $300 each!

I didnít want to get too close as it was on private property but I do believe this is a 1940íish Dodge military issue that proceeded the Dodge Power Wagon. Correct me if Iím wrong but thatís what I see. All I know is King Kong would have felt very comfortable in it.

NorCal Rigs that Tacomas Envy-645d0d92-feea-4a3c-b64a-361dc0eeef16.jpg

Moderator Moderator
    I didnít want to get too close as it was on private property but I do believe this is a 1940íish Dodge military issue that proceeded the Dodge Power Wagon. Correct me if Iím wrong but thatís what I see. All I know is King Kong would have felt very comfortable in it.

Name:	645D0D92-FEEA-4A3C-B64A-361DC0EEEF16.jpg 
Views:	27 
Size:	281.6 KB 
ID:	1233988
    Kinda looks like a Kaiser Jeep Military Truck?

Life's a Garden, dig it!
    While the design was very likely Dodge, as with lots of things produced during the 2nd World war, multiple vendors were contracted to produce the vehicle in order to supply the quantities needed for the war effort.

I saw this on Overland Bound last night. Some cool history here and since it started off in NorCal (Georgetown)......

https://www.overlandbound.com/expedi...6-stock-jeeps/

And LOL at his comment that even back then Goodyear tires had weak sidewalls.

mtbr member
    Jan 2019
    NorCal Rigs that Tacomas Envy-2832ca25-e21f-4228-8512-4a7dae55a076.jpg

Land Rover with big Nitto rubber so itís not mistaken for carting around kids to soccer

Moderator Moderator
    Good call on the QX.

Saw this one at the trailhead a couple weeks ago.

NorCal Rigs that Tacomas Envy-img_0866.jpg

May contain nuts
    Thatís one tidy FJ40. It would Be worth a pretty penny...

Life's a Garden, dig it!

Name:	IMG_0866.jpg 
Views:	24 
Size:	423.2 KB 
ID:	1234049
    That is clean! I'm going to look at a few next week. Some are restored, some are projects. One will end up in my driveway before too long.

Poison Oak Finder
    Do I win for best gas mileage?

Here's how I transported bikes up until last week when I broke down and got a hitch rack (tired of climbing up and down before and after each ride!):

09 Scott Spark 30
    98 Klein Mantra Race
    91 Bridgestone MB-3

mtbr member

Name:	IMG_0866.jpg 
Views:	24 
Size:	423.2 KB 
ID:	1234049
    Holy Smokes! That Cruiser is the tits. Looks like a late 60's with a well done full restoration.

Moderator Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottParsley View Post
    Holy Smokes! That Cruiser is the tits. Looks like a late 60's with a well done full restoration.
    Every inch of this thing was pristine. Even the emblems, headlight surrounds and all the glass/gaskets looked new.

mtbr member
    This outfit https://www.fj.co/ourwork does "nut and bolt" restorations and resto-mods. They are leading in this market imo. $70k+ though. But just outstanding and accurate work.

Moderator Moderator
    Here's another FJ builder. https://www.icon4x4.com/fj#

mtbr member
    if budget wasn't an issue, wouldn't mind having one of these-

https://www.legacyclassictrucks.com/...onversion.html

Every inch of this thing was pristine. Even the emblems, headlight surrounds and all the glass/gaskets looked new.
    Iím having an emotional jealousy breakdown over it. Love that original color combo to top it off. I saw a nice old 1960íish Range Rover the other day but couldnít get a photo of it. Unrestored original in every way. Even the slight surface rust on the original off white paint.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by jaycagney View Post
    if budget wasn't an issue, wouldn't mind having one of these-

https://www.legacyclassictrucks.com/...onversion.html
    So sick and so horridly overpriced! There's a sweet backwoods monster power wagon suv above felton, not sure if y'all have seen it driving around.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast