NorCal Rigs that Tacomas Envy - Page 3- Mtbr.com
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Self Appointed Judge&Jury
    Quote Originally Posted by chrisbtsc View Post
    I've known about the 3.0 and head gasket issues but I know none of the details as to why. If it's truly a design related issue I would think with some vehicles affected and some not, that it was probably a tolerance issue. Most likely there was a certain batch of parts that fell in a certain tolerance range that was deemed acceptable, all others fell outside of that range and those were the ones that had issues. The design change was probably tightening of tolerances on mating parts. Again, I know none of the details of what actually occurred, just inputting my opinion based on experience working in the manufacturing industry my whole life.
    Makes sense, I edited my reply above as you typed that.
    Quote Originally Posted by mileslong View Post
    I passionately remove rocks and corners and other stuff I find too hard to ride.

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    Pretty much.

Tundras get pretty horrid fuel economy and are way too big for a lot of trails. Like most modern full-size trucks they are just too large. If you live in wide open spaces this isn't an issue but in cities and most good off-road trails a full-size is just too much truck. Yes, hundreds of thousands of people make it work but personally I don't want to deal with it and will happily drive a scaled down version. I don't understand the mentality of "more truck for your money". That's like saying I prefer to buy a watch that is the size of a dinner plate vs. a small one that does all of the same stuff.[/QUOTE]

I really like the taco, and back in the day when I was young and didn't care about comfort I owned an '89 Toyota 4x4 pick-up (pre-taco). I actually had to lock the front wheels by hand to get into 4x4 mode! I'm over 6' and just can't get comfortable in the taco. Feels way too cramped and just can't get the seat right for my lower back. Also, since 80% of my driving is on-road and I also have 4 adults with me for some work trips the tundra just makes more sense. It's true that it can be an issue on tight 4x4 trails, but that's the sacrifice I was willing to make for comfort.

Life's a Garden, dig it!
    Was it a design issue or a manufacturing issue?
    It was a design issue. There's a water passage too close to the combustion chamber near cyls. #1 and #6. The issue typically affects #6 more than it does #1.
    "And crawling on the planet's face, some insects called, The Human Race..."

Quote Originally Posted by chuckha62 View Post
    It was a design issue. There's a water passage too close to the combustion chamber near cyls. #1 and #6. The issue typically affects #6 more than it does #1.
    Thanks Chuck, did they fix it in future blocks with a design change or keep producing and just do a one time fix for anyone that came forward with the issue?
    I passionately remove rocks and corners and other stuff I find too hard to ride.

Life's a Garden, dig it!
    Yeah, the later 3.4 liter (released in 1998, I think) is a completely different design than the 3VZE (3.0L)

Elitest thrill junkie
    I've known about the 3.0 and head gasket issues but I know none of the details as to why. If it's truly a design related issue I would think with some vehicles affected and some not, that it was probably a tolerance issue. Most likely there was a certain batch of parts that fell in a certain tolerance range that was deemed acceptable, all others fell outside of that range and those were the ones that had issues. The design change was probably tightening of tolerances on mating parts. Again, I know none of the details of what actually occurred, just inputting my opinion based on experience working in the manufacturing industry my whole life.
    Our 3.slow gave out on highway 49 between Plymouth and Diamond Springs many years ago. The 4cyl engine on our 4x4 (before they were called Tacos) was bullet proof. The V6 in the 4runner was not, in addition to being horridly underpowered, but more of a characteristic of that era, extremely low-compression engines. Later we got the 3.4 in the T100 and it seemed to be much better.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

mtbr member
    Yeah, the later 3.4 liter (released in 1998, I think) is a completely different design than the 3VZE (3.0L)
    My 96 T100 had the 3.4. Those things are bulletproof.

I hope they upped the HP. I had a truck with a 22R 4 banger previous to the 88 V6 4-Runner and it out performed the V6 going over mountain passes. Funny thing is when I was having something done to the 22R the mechanic told me it had another head on it for more compression. That little motor ran like a raped ape compared to the V6.

Life's a Garden, dig it!
    ^^^^ So, 1996 for the 3.4!

Agreed about the 22RE. I bought another '90 4Runner (paid $500 for it, too) for my oldest son not long after I got the green one. It had a 22RE and when we sold it it had 360K Miles on it. It finally quit on the new owner awhile back. He said he was pushing it too hard and it lost oil pressure one day going over St. Helena (Between Lake County and Santa Rosa).

We used to joke about the 3VZE... "All the power of a four cylinder, fuel economy of a V8." There's still a shit ton of them out there though.

mtbr member
    [QUOTE=chuckha62;13995770]^^^^ So, 1996 for the 3.4!
    QUOTE]

I think the first year Taco's had the 3.4 which would make it 1995. I do know the engine was used in other countries prior to the US, maybe on Landcruisers?

Edit: I think the 95 T100's had it as well.

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by 5k bike 50cent legs View Post
    Found a place in Campbell that will fabricate some custom skid plates for my Tahoe. I purposely bought the LT with max trailering package instead of the Z71, as the trailering package has a far better suspension. The fabrication guys told me the skids they build will be lightyears beyond Z71s. Will be interesting.

Anybody ever go here?

Arabia's Overkill Home Page
    Yes! Arabia's is as good as they get. they've been doing vehicle repair recovery at Jeep Jamboree events for the last 20+ years. They've seen broken and fixed everything over those years. Took my step-son's modified TJ there after his transfer case shattered on the highway. Previous owner who put the 4" lift on it (at 4-wheel parts) placed too long of drive shaft linkages which made drive shaft angles too steep on it and when it bottomed out crawling, stressed the xfer case over time. They took measurements, found us a replacement xfer case, ordered the right stuff and told us "Your rear-end is tits" Uh awesome... As long as that means it'll never break again :-) It's been bullet-proof for 2 years now. You do have to pay to play here.

Dwarfs my ZR2:
    NorCal Rigs that Tacomas Envy-20180720_070703.jpg

Crappy 4-wheel parts parts. the output shaft on the xfer case was too long and the sliding axle was too long.
    NorCal Rigs that Tacomas Envy-wp_20160113_002.jpg

I think I see the problem:
    NorCal Rigs that Tacomas Envy-wp_20160113_007.jpg

NorCal Rigs that Tacomas Envy-wp_20160113_005.jpg

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by MisterClean View Post
    Yes! Arabia's is as good as they get. they've been doing vehicle repair recovery at Jeep Jamboree events for the last 20+ years. They've seen broken and fixed everything over those years. Took my step-son's modified TJ there after his transfer case shattered on the highway. Previous owner who put the 4" lift on it (at 4-wheel parts) placed too long of drive shaft linkages which made drive shaft angles too steep on it and when it bottomed out crawling, stressed the xfer case over time. They took measurements, found us a replacement xfer case, ordered the right stuff and told us "Your rear-end is tits" Uh awesome... As long as that means it'll never break again :-) It's been bullet-proof for 2 years now. You do have to pay to play here.

Dwarfs my ZR2:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20180720_070703.jpg 
Views:	37 
Size:	227.4 KB 
ID:	1239140

Crappy 4-wheel parts parts. the output shaft on the xfer case was too long and the sliding axle was too long.

Name:	WP_20160113_002.jpg 
Views:	34 
Size:	199.7 KB 
ID:	1239138

I think I see the problem:

Name:	WP_20160113_007.jpg 
Views:	36 
Size:	240.6 KB 
ID:	1239136

Name:	WP_20160113_005.jpg 
Views:	37 
Size:	192.5 KB 
ID:	1239137
    Yeah, those guys are pretty awesome at Arabia! Looks like you might have a hairline crack there!!

Those are some great rides you have.

mtbr member
    With 2" body lift.

NorCal Rigs that Tacomas Envy-img_1311-1-.jpg

Before
    NorCal Rigs that Tacomas Envy-img_1306.jpg

After
    NorCal Rigs that Tacomas Envy-img_1314.jpg

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    With 2" body lift.

Name:	IMG_1311 (1).jpg 
Views:	45 
Size:	418.0 KB 
ID:	1239177
    Two inches makes all the difference...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by MisterClean View Post
    Two inches makes all the difference...
    Yeah, it actually has a lot more clearance than it appears. The big fender flares hide the amount of lift a bit. Will probably cut them off.

Skid plates and metal bumpers with winch next.

Captain One Lung Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by drich View Post

I really like the taco, and back in the day when I was young and didn't care about comfort I owned an '89 Toyota 4x4 pick-up (pre-taco). I actually had to lock the front wheels by hand to get into 4x4 mode! I'm over 6' and just can't get comfortable in the taco. Feels way too cramped and just can't get the seat right for my lower back. Also, since 80% of my driving is on-road and I also have 4 adults with me for some work trips the tundra just makes more sense. It's true that it can be an issue on tight 4x4 trails, but that's the sacrifice I was willing to make for comfort.
    I can't argue with that. You buy the vehicle that best fits your needs and/or wants. I wasn't comfortable in a Taco either so I went with the Canyon which feels much larger inside.

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    With 2" body lift.

Name:	IMG_1311 (1).jpg 
Views:	45 
Size:	418.0 KB 
ID:	1239177

Before

Name:	IMG_1306.jpg 
Views:	31 
Size:	230.6 KB 
ID:	1239178

After

Name:	IMG_1314.jpg 
Views:	32 
Size:	260.5 KB 
ID:	1239179
    I LOVE my Wildpeaks. Had KO2s, Duratracs, and I will never go back.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by nilswalk View Post
    I LOVE my Wildpeaks. Had KO2s, Duratracs, and I will never go back.
    The more these break in the smoother they get on the road. Now to try them out in Hollister. I paid $102 each for mine!
    Last edited by 5k bike 50cent legs; 02-24-2019 at 09:56 PM.

Saw this beast today. Wish I would have got a photo of the rear end. Looked like a Dana, had to get away before a cop came, felt like it was a restricted area.

NorCal Rigs that Tacomas Envy-b307fe78-13b8-436b-a3e2-7526e065b4b0.jpg

mtbr member
    This site is ADDICTIVE! There are some serious rigs and trips here.

https://expeditionportal.com/

This site is ADDICTIVE! There are some serious rigs and trips here.

https://expeditionportal.com/
    Just say no.

rho
    Life is strange
    I took my kid out on a few day road trip out to Pismo, LA, Vegas, Hoover Dam, Grand Canyon, then we pre-ran most of the Mojave road in a day. I'm going to be getting ready to start going through the suspension in my Jeep soon as the steering is totally shot and some of the control arms are getting flooooopy. I tend to use this thing as a pre-runner more than anything so it'll be more tuned for that. My Wildpeak AT3's are getting worn a bit so i'll be doing new tires before too much longer I think, Its geared for 35's so it'll be getting those. Air-bumps, limiting straps, some good shocks and new lower control arms for future mods. Next set of maintenance work is a new draglink, ball joints and then I'll start doing trackbar/control arms in the front at the same time.

And the repezza joint in my front driveshaft is angry ;P Just something else to fix, lol

NorCal Rigs that Tacomas Envy-snowwwwww.jpg

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by rho View Post
    I took my kid out on a few day road trip out to Pismo, LA, Vegas, Hoover Dam, Grand Canyon, then we pre-ran most of the Mojave road in a day. I'm going to be getting ready to start going through the suspension in my Jeep soon as the steering is totally shot and some of the control arms are getting flooooopy. I tend to use this thing as a pre-runner more than anything so it'll be more tuned for that. My Wildpeak AT3's are getting worn a bit so i'll be doing new tires before too much longer I think, Its geared for 35's so it'll be getting those. Air-bumps, limiting straps, some good shocks and new lower control arms for future mods. Next set of maintenance work is a new draglink, ball joints and then I'll start doing trackbar/control arms in the front at the same time.

And the repezza joint in my front driveshaft is angry ;P Just something else to fix, lol

Name:	snowwwwww.jpg 
Views:	46 
Size:	150.7 KB 
ID:	1239456
    Lucky kid! Rock solid parenting!

Professional Troll
    Pretty much.

Tundras get pretty horrid fuel economy
    Don't Tacomas only get like 2pmg better? That's like < $1k over the life of the car, tops.

are way too big for a lot of trails. Like most modern full-size trucks they are just too large.
    I've never encounter trails that are larger than ~75 inches (width of Tacoma) but narrower than ~79 inches (width of Tundra). I doubt they are that plentiful? But maybe I'm wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by Gemini2k05 View Post
    Don't Tacomas only get like 2pmg better? That's like < $1k over the life of the car, tops.

I've never encounter trails that are larger than ~75 inches (width of Tacoma) but narrower than ~79 inches (width of Tundra). I doubt they are that plentiful? But maybe I'm wrong.
    The wheelbase length hinders Tundras over Tacomas off road. Up and over things as well as tight corners. Then thereís that width thing you mentioned. Thereís a reason why any serious off road vehicle has a short wheelbase. Look at a Jeep CJ.

It all comes down to what your uses are for the vehicle. Most of us are not serious 4x4írs so a Thunder would do. If you are towing heavy loads all the time a Tundra would be the choice. But if you are an off road, on serious 4x4 trails then a Tacoma would be the ticket. Any regular fire road off roading either would work.

Both great vehicles with both having that dependability and resale value thing going for them.

mtbr member

Quote Originally Posted by redmr2_man View Post
    Amazing score for someone, I like this part.

NorCal Rigs that Tacomas Envy-b246ccc7-04fe-481f-9825-627e448bb574.jpg

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by redmr2_man View Post
    I wonder if there would be any registration issues in CA.

Quote Originally Posted by DIRTJUNKIE View Post
    The wheelbase length hinders Tundras over Tacomas off road. Up and over things as well as tight corners. Then thereís that width thing you mentioned. Thereís a reason why any serious off road vehicle has a short wheelbase. Look at a Jeep CJ.

It all comes down to what your uses are for the vehicle. Most of us are not serious 4x4írs so a Thunder would do. If you are towing heavy loads all the time a Tundra would be the choice. But if you are an off road, on serious 4x4 trails then a Tacoma would be the ticket. Any regular fire road off roading either would work.

Both great vehicles with both having that dependability and resale value thing going for them.
    Agreed.

Trails like this can be terrifying, dangerous or outright impassable (safely) in larger vehicles.

The commentary is hilarious.

There have been quite a few trails I have been on that are so tight that trying to navigate turns or rock gardens would result in body damage if done in a longer wheelbase vehicle without an appropriate level of armor.

That being said, tight trails can be done in big trucks but you need a good driver, a lot of off-road toys and be ok with taking damage.

Power Wagon don't care

That first video was hilarious and I only made it 4 minutes in. Have to check out the rest later as well as the other vid. Scary trail for any vehicle.

That first video was hilarious and I only made it 4 minutes in. Have to check out the rest later as well as the other vid. Scary trail for any vehicle.
    You'll want to watch the rest. Especially when she keeps saying she wants out of the rig before he takes a super tight corner but he isn't stopping. lmao!

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Nothing like breaking out the sawzall at the trailhead to clearance your brand new truck.

Quote Originally Posted by JCWages View Post
    That being said, tight trails can be done in big trucks but you need a good driver, a lot of off-road toys and be ok with taking damage.

Power Wagon don't care

Professional Troll

That makes sense. I guess my opinion is a bit jaded. My experience with "Jeep guys" is that they tell me "OMG there's no way you'll be able to make this trail/road in your Tundra. Then I get there and realize "Ya I could do this in a minivan". Ha ha ha.

But ya, those videos are definitely sketchy. I wouldn't want to be there in my Tundra (or probably any car!)

But more importantly, I'm getting hyped on Sprinter vans again. Might be selling my Tundra and getting one of those in the next 12-18 months!

NRP
    mtbr member
    Sep 2015
    You'll want to watch the rest. Especially when she keeps saying she wants out of the rig before he takes a super tight corner but he isn't stopping. lmao!
    Man I would leave her nagging ass at home. Can't stand passengers like that.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by NRP View Post
    Man I would leave her nagging ass at home. Can't stand passengers like that.
    Yeah I talk a big game like that......when my wife's not listening! LOL!

That's a scary ass trail! Some good music on their radio, reminds me of riding with my grandad.

mtbr member
    May 2014

Unimog in ssf

Pang of jealousy felt.

NorCal Rigs that Tacomas Envy-ssf-unimog.jpg
    This is either a good thing, or a very bad thing.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by CyNil_Rider View Post
    Pang of jealousy felt.

Name:	ssf unimog.jpg 
Views:	55 
Size:	358.6 KB 
ID:	1239779
    Portal axles?

Life's a Garden, dig it!
    Unimog?? G-Wagon.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Portal axles?
    Those things are next level - both builds and prices! 37's from the factory, portal axles, starting at $230k G550 4x4≤

mtbr member
    May 2014

G550 4x4 not Unimog in ssf

Portal axles?
    NorCal Rigs that Tacomas Envy-ssf-unimog-rear.jpg
    I got the pics in a drive by so I'm not sure, but I think so- the diff must be up there somewhere...
    I came here for the experts to discern (@braaaptastic).

BTW, the 'curryandcars.com' logo on the side suggests it's some kind of trans-cali racing rig, but prob not down the I5.
    Last edited by CyNil_Rider; 02-28-2019 at 10:51 AM. Reason: wrong model cited in title

mtbr member

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by BraapTastic View Post
    Those things are next level - both builds and prices! 37's from the factory, portal axles, starting at $230k G550 4x4≤
    They are awesome. But for that price you could have a custom shop build out a far superior 4x4 on pretty much any platform.

Check out some of the stuff here, it is insane: Arabia's Overkill Home Page

mtbr member
    May 2014
    [QUOTE=5k bike 50cent legs;14001568]They are awesome. But for that price you could have a custom shop build out a fleet of far superior 4x4s on pretty much any platform.

fify

mtbr member
    [QUOTE=CyNil_Rider;14001576]
    They are awesome. But for that price you could have a custom shop build out a fleet of far superior 4x4s on pretty much any platform.

fify
    LOL!

NorCal Rigs that Tacomas Envy-stream_img.jpg

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    It is funny how people out low profile tires on fancy 4x4 trucks now. I see so many rolling around the Bay Area and I'm willing to bet my Subaru has gone to more remote places. Reminds me of all the full suspension bikes I see on Marin fire roads.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by SS Hack View Post
    It is funny how people out low profile tires on fancy 4x4 trucks now. I see so many rolling around the Bay Area and I'm willing to bet my Subaru has gone to more remote places. Reminds me of all the full suspension bikes I see on Marin fire roads.
    That's the BEST kind of "used" 4x4 to buy. Let someone else roll on dubs and eat the depreciation, then you get to introduce it to dirt.

That's the BEST kind of "used" 4x4 to buy. Let someone else roll on dubs and eat the depreciation, then you get to introduce it to dirt.
    Yep, sad to see low profiles on 4x4ís but you make a good point.

mtbr member
    Damn right!

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    You can upgrade your G-wagen to portals for a 70k

Should get the legit wheel as well..
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails NorCal Rigs that Tacomas Envy-portal.jpg  

NorCal Rigs that Tacomas Envy-mercedes-benz-g-class-g500-4x4-14.jpg  

mtbr member
    May 2014
    [QUOTE=Soares;14001785]You can upgrade your G-wagen to portals for a 70k

But can I fit those to my tacoma, with a little bit a help from an a-daptor kit, of course?
    Cuz that would be NorCal Cyko-billy

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    The Gunther, Christine and Otto story is pretty amazing. Talk about a road trip - only thing the forgot is mountain bikes!
    Gunther, Christine and Otto

mtbr member
    Looks better with a bike on the back! Rock sliders and skid plates next week.

NorCal Rigs that Tacomas Envy-img_1332.jpg

rho
    Life is strange
    Looks better with a bike on the back! Rock sliders and skid plates next week.
    Nice!

Might need to take a sawzall or otherwise trim/clean up the plastics otherwise they, uh, might self clearance.

mtbr member
    Nice!

Might need to take a sawzall or otherwise trim/clean up the plastics otherwise they, uh, might self clearance.
    Oh yeah, my son is going to cut it up a bit. He will be driving it like he stole it!

This has been a fun project for him.

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    Ha! Omeara is a good dude and a hell of a mountain biker!

mtbr member
    The Gunther, Christine and Otto story is pretty amazing. Talk about a road trip - only thing the forgot is mountain bikes!
    Gunther, Christine and Otto
    That's an amazing story.

That's an amazing story.
    An understatement.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    I was checkin this out last night and was having a hard time getting my head wrapped around this one. I've owned a couple Broncos over the years and would love to see a new one that is similar in formate to the old ones. But this? I don't quite know what to make of it.

Quote Originally Posted by riderup View Post
    I was checkin this out last night and was having a hard time getting my head wrapped around this one. I've owned a couple Broncos over the years and would love to see a new one that is similar in formate to the old ones. But this? I don't quite know what to make of it.
    I agree, more like an Explorer than a Bronco.

Edit: I take that back. Not much it resembles really.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    I LOVED my '87 Bronco. Perfect size.

mtbr member
    Nice approach and departure angles.

mtbr member
    Indeed! Looks like my truck's twin.

Mine's in the garage right now... it caught the rough idle bug so I'm digging into it this weekend (already removed the intakes just to check for the power valve screw problem, it's also getting a valve cover gasket change and tune up while I'm at it).

Still haven't installed my lift springs but thanks for posting pics... gives me an idea on how it'll look like when I finally do get to it.

fc
    head minion Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by Soares View Post

Should get the legit wheel as well..
    Portal axles. Just wow!!!!

Can it still drive well on the freeways? Or does it turn into a specialist?
    IPA will save America

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    [QUOTE=CyNil_Rider;14002023]

But can I fit those to my tacoma, with a little bit a help from an a-daptor kit, of course?
    Cuz that would be NorCal Cyko-billy
    props for the Johnny Cash reference. 'One Piece at a Time' is an epic song.

mtbr member

NorCal Rigs that Tacomas Envy

props for the Johnny Cash reference. 'One Piece at a Time' is an epic song.

mtbr member
    May 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by fc View Post
    Portal axles. Just wow!!!!

Can it still drive well on the freeways? Or does it turn into a specialist?
    This was an informative article from 2014...
    https://suncruisermedia.com/4WDrive/...als-explained/

In short:
    Portals are a system of gears designed to offset the axle above/beyond the center of the hub, thereby increasing clearance between differential yoke and ground.

Pros:
    Increases ground-to-differential yoke clearance, above (half) the tire height, the otherwise lowest point on a solid axle.

Cons:
    $12,500/axle (Mopar kit) or DIY w/$3K per axle used from Unimog/military vehicle
    Major mods to install
    Super heavy unsprung weight
    ~62mph max speed
    Extra maintenance, oil for gear boxes

mtbr member

In short:
    Portals are a system of gears designed to offset the axle above/beyond the center of the hub, thereby increasing clearance between differential yoke and ground.

Pros:
    Increases ground-to-differential yoke clearance, above (half) the tire height, the otherwise lowest point on a solid axle.

Cons:
    $12,500/axle (Mopar kit) or DIY w/$3K per axle used from Unimog/military vehicle
    Major mods to install
    ~62mph max speed
    Or you can have a $500 set of skid plates fabricated.

mtbr member
    May 2014
    Nice!

He's been everywhere, man...

fc

In short:

Pros:

Cons:
    Major mods to install
    ~62mph max speed
    62mph max speed. Welll that answers that.

Appreciate it!!!!
    IPA will save America

fc
    Spotted in Antioch, CANorCal Rigs that Tacomas Envy-1-52933335_10216500816845623_1062308389129814016_n.jpg
    IPA will save America

NRP
    mtbr member
    Sep 2015
    Gotta keep your cool.

mtbr member

Appreciate it!!!!
    That's fairly generic

Gear ratio and tire size have the final word on top speed numbers. The additional clearance that portals provide means ample room for huge tires.. 37's and up

I'm not sure how I missed this one but it's pretty cool!

Tyler rips in the new Ranger commercial.
    https://www.facebook.com/ford/videos/2388337147843691/

NorCal Rigs that Tacomas Envy-ranger-tyler.jpg

Life's a Garden, dig it!
    ^^ I love the "Starting at" pricing. By the time you're equipped like the truck in the pic, you're going to be at $38K.

^^ I love the "Starting at" pricing. By the time you're equipped like the truck in the pic, you're going to be at $38K.
    And even more if you want the FX4 package which you and I would want. The Ranger is generally the most expensive mid-size if you exclude the specialty models like the ZR2 Bison and TRD Pro dealer markup. The fact you can get a V6 ZR2 for less than an optioned out Ranger is ridiculous if you are the off-road type. Way more goodies with the ZR2 and TRD Pro.

*drools*

mtbr member
    My neighbor is looking at a Rousch Raptor. I told him to look at the ZR2 Bison as well, albeit much smaller than the Raptor. I think they are all sold out for 2019?

I need to set up a garage with a lift and welding capability now that I want to get back into off roading. Can't wait to tell my wife, who has basically given an order for me to stop all building and re-remodeling parts of the house! This will be the last thing, I promise!

rho
    Life is strange
    My neighbor is looking at a Rousch Raptor. I told him to look at the ZR2 Bison as well, albeit much smaller than the Raptor. I think they are all sold out for 2019?

I need to set up a garage with a lift and welding capability now that I want to get back into off roading. Can't wait to tell my wife, who has basically given an order for me to stop all building and re-remodeling parts of the house! This will be the last thing, I promise!
    I'm trying to talk my wife into getting a ZR2 Colorado, but no luck so far.... I am working through her 1/2 ton truck a little bit now, which is fun in a different sort of way. Its getting a small lift, new shocks, and eventually the 33" tires from my jeep.
    For the new stuff, I really hope that aftermarket support for the new Colorado platform sticks around for a while as they're fantastic trucks right now. Currently it seems that you can only find stuff for jeeps, tacos, landcruisers and 3/4 ton trucks. Not a lot for support for smaller domestic stuff or 1/2 stuff in the way of performance suspension that doesn't suck.. Although that tide seems to be changing these days.

Meanwhile I'm starting to gather more parts for the jeep... Its getting 35's soon. Then some Fox 2.0 reservoir shocks and hydro bumpstops. Plus some adjustable control arms for the front to get the caster stuff fixed that I've been putting off for forever. My high speed romp through the Mojave Road and through Pismo and stuff revealed a few places i want to improve with the truck with what I use it for.

mtbr member
    I'm trying to talk my wife into getting a ZR2 Colorado, but no luck so far.... I am working through her 1/2 ton truck a little bit now, which is fun in a different sort of way. Its getting a small lift, new shocks, and eventually the 33" tires from my jeep.
    For the new stuff, I really hope that aftermarket support for the new Colorado platform sticks around for a while as they're fantastic trucks right now. Currently it seems that you can only find stuff for jeeps, tacos, landcruisers and 3/4 ton trucks. Not a lot for support for smaller domestic stuff or 1/2 stuff in the way of performance suspension that doesn't suck.. Although that tide seems to be changing these days.

Meanwhile I'm starting to gather more parts for the jeep... Its getting 35's soon. Then some Fox 2.0 reservoir shocks and hydro bumpstops. Plus some adjustable control arms for the front to get the caster stuff fixed that I've been putting off for forever. My high speed romp through the Mojave Road and through Pismo and stuff revealed a few places i want to improve with the truck with what I use it for.
    It seems the Jeep platform is hard to built as a dedicated overlander or off road vehicle. Big community, lots of plug and play parts, the ability to take the build as far as you'd like for serious rock crawling etc. I'm having fun tearing up my son's R50 Nissan. I'm thinking for me the next move will be a Jeep that I will build out for crawling.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004

would love to hear more about the Mojave Road excursion...looking to get down there myself in the near future.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004

If my garage were tall enough, I'd definitely have a lift. then I could spend even more time and money modding cars. lol. though the rationale for a lift would be to actually save money on installation expenses (and chiropractor visits after wrenching on stuff laying on the ground.)

mtbr member
    Are you guys members of any of the NorCal off road clubs? Recommendations?

mtbr member
    If my garage were tall enough, I'd definitely have a lift. then I could spend even more time and money modding cars. lol. though the rationale for a lift would be to actually save money on installation expenses (and chiropractor visits after wrenching on stuff laying on the ground.)
    Even if you can only raise it 2 or 3 feet, with a creeper makes a huge difference.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    Even if you can only raise it 2 or 3 feet, with a creeper makes a huge difference.
    yep...that's what I typically do (using ramps / jack stands).

they do have the low-rise lifts that get the vehicle up a few feet but that's just not the same as having a full lift.

mtbr member
    yep...that's what I typically do.
    You know, you could always dig a drive over........Actually, I'm thinking this might be a better idea for me. My wife will never see it!

NorCal Rigs that Tacomas Envy-ez_glide_man.jpg

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    You know, you could always dig a drive over........Actually, I'm thinking this might be a better idea for me. My wife will never see it!

Name:	EZ_Glide_Man.jpg 
Views:	38 
Size:	387.3 KB 
ID:	1241094
    but if she does, she'll totally freak out knowing there's been a dude living in a hole in your garage. lol.

mtbr member
    but if she does, she'll totally freak out knowing there's been a dude living in a hole in your garage. lol.
    In Palo Alto I could probably get $2500/month for that hole. Shit, I'm doing it!

mtbr member
    Aug 2004

The Bison looks like a really solid package.
    The Raptor really is a big beast...so size should definitely be a consideration as he considers his choices (what you want to do offroad, what your day-to-day on-road constraints are, whether you're doing long road trips, how many people come along, etc). I'm digging my Raptor cause I tend to drive long distances sprinkled with higher-speed off-road stuff (to get places 'off the beaten path' versus a lot or crawling or tight trail driving.) Dropping the extra $15k for the suspension upgrades (along with all the placards and stickers) you get with the Roush didn't seem like a good investment for my purposes. If your buddy wants some insight from a current Raptor owner, or a hookup at a local dealership, let me know...I'd be happy to help.

mtbr member
    The Bison looks like a really solid package.
    The Raptor really is a big beast...so size should definitely be a consideration as he considers his choices (what you want to do offroad, what your day-to-day on-road constraints are, whether you're doing long road trips, how many people come along, etc). I'm digging my Raptor cause I tend to drive long distances sprinkled with higher-speed off-road stuff (to get places 'off the beaten path' versus a lot or crawling or tight trail driving.) Dropping the extra $15k for the suspension upgrades (along with all the placards and stickers) you get with the Roush didn't seem like a good investment for my purposes. If your buddy wants some insight from a current Raptor owner, or a hookup at a local dealership, let me know...I'd be happy to help.
    Sounds great man! I'll be in touch soon. We should do an MTBR/MBOSC Hollister SVRA run one of these days.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    Sounds great man! I'll be in touch soon. We should do an MTBR/MBOSC Hollister SVRA run one of these days.
    in.

rho
    Life is strange
    in.
    In as well! No idea when tho, would anyone be able to do late March?

rho
    Life is strange
    would love to hear more about the Mojave Road excursion...looking to get down there myself in the near future.
    Sure! At some point I'll link my trip report here as well.
    It was awesome, The jeep scoots pretty good through the desert, not as good as the raptors and other pre-runners but it can move.

We ended up running into a ton of snow out there as well, seeing Joshua trees covered in snow was amazing and a total trip.

These guys are always fun to watch. They don't take is easy on their rigs.

As for the Hollister run I'm down if I can make it work with my schedule!

mtbr member
    Dec 2004

Appreciate it!!!!
    Not sure where they came up with 62mph. G550 4x4 Squared has a top speed of 130mph.

https://www.mercedes-benz.com/en/mer...class-squared/

2018 Mercedes-Benz G550 4x4 Squared Review: $230,000, And Worth Every Penny in Shock Value Alone - The Drive

mtbr member
    May 2014
    Me neither! I was just referencing an article (from 2014, mind you) that I took to be making a fairly generic statement about a fairly generic question about portal axles generically, thatís all. The 62mph figure probably relates to having all that extra gearing at each wheel and applies to many vehicles; super-premo MB G550s notwithstanding

rho
    Life is strange

Mojave Road!

Well, Allrighty... a little writeup from my last Mojave Road adventure and a lot of photos!

Day 1, San Jose to LA. My wife was heading out to the east coast to visit her GF so that left a week for the kid me to well, go on an adventure! So after a 4am wake up call and getting the rest of our gear packed up in the jeep, the kid and I dropped my partner off at the airport at 6am in San Jose so we hit the road right after...

Its still happening in Soledad even though the sign is long gone... Not sure the kid agrees.
    NorCal Rigs that Tacomas Envy-elliotcar.jpg

We spent some time chasing quads and side-by-sides on the dunes at Pismo
    NorCal Rigs that Tacomas Envy-pismo.jpg

Day two: LA to Vegas.
    We ended up totally stopped on I15 going into vegas after crashing on my friends couch in Los Angeles, so we opted to head off-road in Baker, CA and then we headed over to the Mojave road and went east on the road, then took off towards the lava tubes and Aiken mine. We ended up going back towards the freeway at Cima Road at that point as I was hearing some chatter about the road moving again.

Snowy wash
    NorCal Rigs that Tacomas Envy-washnsnow.jpg

SnoJave
    NorCal Rigs that Tacomas Envy-snowjave.jpg

Elliot and jeep Aiken mine
    NorCal Rigs that Tacomas Envy-elliot_jeep_aiken_mine.jpg

Joshua trees in the snow
    NorCal Rigs that Tacomas Envy-heep_jt.jpg

Day 3: vegas to Grand Canyon!
    Vegas to the Grand Canyon is a hella long drive... and we ended up spending about 3 hours just going through everything possible at the Hoover Dam, did the tour inside and all that stuff.
    We were originally planning on camping at the canyon but it was in the single digits when we got there and I was getting sick so we opted to swallow the cost for a room there for the night. It ended up being a very comfy night.

Hoover Dam with the kid!
    NorCal Rigs that Tacomas Envy-damn....jpg

Day 4, Grand Canyon to camping Mojave! Lacking in photos here... uh. Mostly because I haven't downloaded em. But we hiked around the Grand Canyon in the morning and took photos and did the touristy shit so that was a bunch of fun. We ended up driving back out towards Bullhead City and then headed off road for a bit just past the Avi Casino to start the Mojave road at like 10pm, we got a few miles outside of the CA border then decided to call it for the night, inflated the mattress in the back of the jeep and we crashed out.

Day 5 Woke up in the Mojave just inside of Nevada, ran about 80% of the Mojave road in a day, then stopped into Santa Barbara for snacks and gas and stuff then headed back to SJ.

After breaking camp in the morning we headed to Fort Piute, Hiked around for an hour or so, then hit the trail again...

CACTUS!!
    NorCal Rigs that Tacomas Envy-barrelcactus.jpg

Petroglyphs near Ft Piute
    NorCal Rigs that Tacomas Envy-piutepetriglyphs.jpg

Looking back towards Nevada from Ft Piute
    NorCal Rigs that Tacomas Envy-backtonevada.jpg

On the way to Cima Rd... and looking south-west.
    NorCal Rigs that Tacomas Envy-flair.jpg

This was after crossing Cima Rd for the second on this trip, and shortly after meeting a rather large group of overlander folk. this was shortly before the section of whoops and stuff, they had a couple full-size, stock height rigs in their group so it was kind of funny seeing all the places where the chevy in their group was dragging his bumper/hitch... after about 20miles of 40-50mph whoops that were testing my suspension and bumpstops we opted to take a bit of a break and play on the rocks a bit.

Child on the rocks
    NorCal Rigs that Tacomas Envy-elliotontherocks.jpg

heep and a pile o rocks!
    NorCal Rigs that Tacomas Envy-elheepo.jpg

After getting back on the trail, we signed the mailbox, then kept goin... then THE LAKE.
    Soda lake in the Mojave was gross and more muddy than i'd have liked, I hosed the bottom of my jeep off the day after we got back to SJ and uhhh, yeah. That shit is caustic and NASTY.
    NorCal Rigs that Tacomas Envy-soda_lake.jpg

Shortly after the lake we opted to head back to the 15 as it was about 2pm and we still had a lot of driving ahead of us and the reports I'd been hearing bout the depth of the Mojave river made me not want to chance it given all the storms and snow from the weekend. I'd crossed the river in the JKU before when it was at 36", so its not that bad... but some of the uncertainty and being a solo vehicle, I opted to not deal with it.
    After getting home late Sunday, we called it a night.

Anyways, Here are a couple links to some really cool Mojave road maps an Expedition Portal user made a while back. I've printed these out and had em bound and its a very nice visual reference for the trail and where some of the weirder turns are.

http://www.ruhrho.com/mojaverd2east/
    http://www.ruhrho.com/mojaverd1west/

GPS tracks:
    http://java.ruhrho.com/mojave/mojave-road-track.kml
    http://java.ruhrho.com/mojave/mojave-road-track.gpx

Alix's truck that we're about to lift and do some more work on... It'll be fun. The goal is to get this silly 2wd truck Mojave Road ready, I think it'll be doable as it has a rear locker.
    TRUCK!
    NorCal Rigs that Tacomas Envy-truck.jpg
    Last edited by rho; 03-12-2019 at 10:23 PM. Reason: fixin links

J-Flo
    Apr 2012
    I havenít yet come across anything that my Land Cruiser canít do, as long as Iím not afraid to scratch and ding it up a bit.

Name:	truck.jpg 
Views:	38 
Size:	142.7 KB 
ID:	1241919
    Sweet! Thank you for posting the trip report.

Does her truck have the 5.3L? Sometimes I miss my old '01 Sierra Ext.Cab Z71.

rho
    Life is strange
    Sweet! Thank you for posting the trip report.

Does her truck have the 5.3L? Sometimes I miss my old '01 Sierra Ext.Cab Z71.
    Yep! It has a whole lotta giddyup. It has lower gears as well... its a fun truck but the suspension is totally worked over in it right now. I have an AAL and some spacers for the front about to go in to help.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    Yep! It has a whole lotta giddyup. It has lower gears as well... its a fun truck but the suspension is totally worked over in it right now. I have an AAL and some spacers for the front about to go in to help.
    thanks for the Mojave Road write up. sounds like you did most of it in a day? I was looking at the ~130 miles and wondering why everyone seems to be talking about it as a 3 day expedition. I get wanting to take you time, but...

what are you favorite parts (if you can't do the whole thing)?

Life's a Garden, dig it!
    Thanks alot you guys (FC)! Now you've got me getting notifications of Scout IIs for sale. Like this on BaT (to which I'm now addicted!):

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/19...er-scout-ii-7/

Clean!

rho
    Life is strange
    thanks for the Mojave Road write up. sounds like you did most of it in a day? I was looking at the ~130 miles and wondering why everyone seems to be talking about it as a 3 day expedition. I get wanting to take you time, but...

what are you favorite parts (if you can't do the whole thing)?
    A lot of folks do it going like 10-15 mph the whole dang way or slower. I tend to do it at 40-50mph. I've also done the trail a couple times now so I know most of the sights along it ;P

Some of the reason for doing it slower is having overloaded "expo" rigs with out enough suspension/shock and with a lot of CG up high like a RTT or pulling a trailer... it'll lower your potential speed greatly. Other things could be bigger full size trucks with less off road focused suspension or older rigs that can't be pushed super hard. Add to that the general off road, motion sickness, stopping to see the sights (there are a lot of cool views along the way), taking pictures, sleeping in till 10 and taking time to break camp or doing side trips... etc etc etc.
    There is a lot of history in that area but part of the fun for me is driving on crappy roads so I tend to approach trips like the mojave road as more of a camping/rally/road trip sort of thing where the goal is to see cool stuff while covering a lot of ground.

I kind of view it as part of a driving day out in that area, its pretty easy to do the whole thing fast if your truck is able to. Read pre-runner or raptor or ZR2 or TRD pro, something with good suspension. Stock trucks generally aren't able to do it at high-er speeds unless they have better shocks and are aired down. Even still you need to be aware of whoops, washes, waterbars, washboards and other weird junk on the road that could mean having a bad day in your truck.

As for what I like in that area... I find the Soda lake/Afton Canyon/Mojave River and wash areas to be the most interesting personally. I still want to get out and explore the Kelso Station area in the future.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    A lot of folks do it going like 10-15 mph the whole dang way or slower. I tend to do it at 40-50mph. I've also done the trail a couple times now so I know most of the sights along it ;P

Some of the reason for doing it slower is having overloaded "expo" rigs with out enough suspension/shock and with a lot of CG up high like a RTT or pulling a trailer... it'll lower your potential speed greatly. Other things could be bigger full size trucks with less off road focused suspension or older rigs that can't be pushed super hard. Add to that the general off road, motion sickness, stopping to see the sights (there are a lot of cool views along the way), taking pictures, sleeping in till 10 and taking time to break camp or doing side trips... etc etc etc.
    There is a lot of history in that area but part of the fun for me is driving on crappy roads so I tend to approach trips like the mojave road as more of a camping/rally/road trip sort of thing where the goal is to see cool stuff while covering a lot of ground.

I kind of view it as part of a driving day out in that area, its pretty easy to do the whole thing fast if your truck is able to. Read pre-runner or raptor or ZR2 or TRD pro, something with good suspension. Stock trucks generally aren't able to do it at high-er speeds unless they have better shocks and are aired down. Even still you need to be aware of whoops, washes, waterbars, washboards and other weird junk on the road that could mean having a bad day in your truck.

As for what I like in that area... I find the Soda lake/Afton Canyon/Mojave River and wash areas to be the most interesting personally. I still want to get out and explore the Kelso Station area in the future.
    Super helpful...and love your perspective...that's the way I see it too...I see it as a driving trip.
    I have a gen2 raptor and a fair bit of driving / racing experience, including some rally racing experience...so this sounds like my kind of jam.

When I was down there last year (me and my son) we went out to Kelso dunes...highly recommended. We did a bunch of off-road in Death Valley which was rad. There are over 1k miles of off-road trails in Death Valley....pretty cool for a National Park.

oh, and you had me at 'whoops' ;-)

rho
    Life is strange
    Super helpful...and love your perspective...that's the way I see it too...I see it as a driving trip.
    I have a gen2 raptor and a fair bit of driving / racing experience, including some rally racing experience...so this sounds like my kind of jam.

When I was down there last year (me and my son) we went out to Kelso dunes...highly recommended. We did a bunch of off-road in Death Valley which was rad. There are over 1k miles of off-road trails in Death Valley....pretty cool for a National Park.

oh, and you had me at 'whoops' ;-)
    Death Valley is awesome!! I barely scratched the surface of trails out there on my trip last year to DV. I did 101-Pozo > Lake Isabella > jawbone canyon OHV by way of piute peak, then up into DV through Goler wash, Barker ranch and Mengal pass. Then did lippencott/racetrack/that stuff on the way north.
    It was an awesome trip and I'm really looking to get another trip down that way before late spring hits.

I've played out at Pismo a lot, but I'll have to check out Kelso dunes the next time I'm out there... With or without the kid, HAH.

Also, those raptors are nice. I'd like to get something like that one day for my partner as its less fiddly than a more, er, built truck... I rather prefer my jeep tho. Its got character! That said.... it'll be in for some suspension upgrades in the near future, a lot of the stock stuff is getting up there in age/mileage and I expect that after I stick 35's on it, it'll be time to replace a lot of stuff as I'm sure a lot of ish is going to break given how I drive and generally treating the poor jeep like a prerunner.
    I found that being able pack light with the mindset of being able to make/break camp quick and have everything stowed/locked down in the truck made trips with lots of driving much more enjoyable for me... but then again I'm not good at sitting around or being idle in camp hanging out in a chair.

mtbr member
    If any of you guys ever need a coil spring compressor I'm going to buy one that can be a community tool. I'm going to try out a set of Land Rover springs on my beater wagon, if too stiff will switch back to Moogs, so I'm just going to do it myself to save time. Keeping the 1Up on the back and about 100lbs of stuff in the trunk, I need some stiffer springs.

rho
    Life is strange
    If any of you guys ever need a coil spring compressor I'm going to buy one that can be a community tool. I'm going to try out a set of Land Rover springs on my beater wagon, if too stiff will switch back to Moogs, so I'm just going to do it myself to save time. Keeping the 1Up on the back and about 100lbs of stuff in the trunk, I need some stiffer springs.
    Have you looked at Old Man Emu for any of that stuff?

mtbr member
    Have you looked at Old Man Emu for any of that stuff?
    Yeah, the R50 Nissan is hard to find stuff for in the US for some reason. That platform is huge everywhere, except here! I find things from guys on the Nissan Forum that usually comes from overseas.

rho
    Life is strange
    Yeah, the R50 Nissan is hard to find stuff for in the US for some reason. That platform is huge everywhere, except here! I find things from guys on the Nissan Forum that usually comes from overseas.
    A lot of the OME stuff is available through Bilstien if i recall... might be onto something with the Range Rover springs. My dad has an Xterra so I've looked into them a bit and they're great trucks. I'm trying to talk him into getting a baja rack and a small lift on his truck right now. And hard-mounting a 2m/70cm rig into his truck... I'm going to see if he's interested in the Hollister run as well.

In other truck news, got the tie rod ends and swaybar links for the wifes truck. Going to put a passenger LCA on order tonight so I can finish all the front end stuff on that truck when I tear into it to toss some 2.5" spacers in.

mtbr member
    A lot of the OME stuff is available through Bilstien if i recall... might be onto something with the Range Rover springs. My dad has an Xterra so I've looked into them a bit and they're great trucks. I'm trying to talk him into getting a baja rack and a small lift on his truck right now. And hard-mounting a 2m/70cm rig into his truck... I'm going to see if he's interested in the Hollister run as well.

In other truck news, got the tie rod ends and swaybar links for the wifes truck. Going to put a passenger LCA on order tonight so I can finish all the front end stuff on that truck when I tear into it to toss some 2.5" spacers in.
    I just put this Rola Rack on my son's QX4 (this is the rig I'm driving to Hollister). Pretty solid, but probably needs a little PlastiDip in some places to prevent rust. About $200 total.

NorCal Rigs that Tacomas Envy-img_1403.jpg

Great work on the wife's truck!

mtbr member
    Saw this badass up at Alices today.

You picked the right word to describe it.

mtbr member
    More bad ass at Aliceís today.

Thereís a lot of badassery in those ^ two photos.

mtbr member
    Thereís a lot of badassery in those ^ two photos.
    Those Factory 5 kits are pretty cool.

https://www.factoryfive.com/

I agree . . . ^

Chuck, you should appreciate this. Just saw it local to me. Looks like itís a V8 conversion from the exhaust tips. Sorry I should have peeked underneath, fail.

Still an amazing resto. done to period correct specs.

NorCal Rigs that Tacomas Envy-d71a3ab8-f95c-46d4-8ba9-dd96c046e831.jpg

NorCal Rigs that Tacomas Envy-b23b7d06-c7e7-4cfa-ae57-d192b4ff418f.jpg

NorCal Rigs that Tacomas Envy-326ae62b-77a9-4571-82d4-76b943bd1b7a.jpg

Life's a Garden, dig it!
    Thatís an early one. The corrugated panels on the top were Ď63/Ď64, I think. Sweet truck. The motor for my kidís is done and ready at the machine shop. Iím going to finish assembly in the next couple of weeks and see if I can get his truck here to complete the swap.

Sometimes it's the little things. Like having your truck on a manufacturers website.

NorCal Rigs that Tacomas Envy-exhy7qm.jpg

mtbr member
    done to period correct specs.
    I'm going to have to go ahead and disagree with you there.

Still VERY cool. But a V8 , FJ Cruiser wheels, steering, instrument cluster, mirrors, and that bumper are not "period correct". I like it though. Looks real nice.

mtbr member
    I hope they put a locking front differential with the update.

V8 Raptor | Hennessey Performance

Velociraptor 600 Twin Turbo | Hennessey Performance

Quote Originally Posted by ScottParsley View Post
    I'm going to have to go ahead and disagree with you there.

Still VERY cool. But a V8 , FJ Cruiser wheels, steering, instrument cluster, mirrors, and that bumper are not "period correct". I like it though. Looks real nice.
    Picky, picky, picky.
    I over looked the wheels and V8 on purpose. Nice spot on the mirrors. I meant period correct as in if you had one back in the day and hot rodded it this one is pretty period correct in looks. The V8 conversion was possible back then.

And in my defense I was in a big hurry when I took the photos. Upon posting them I didnít go back and really look at them.

Life's a Garden, dig it!
    This K5 is about five blocks from me and is now for sale. I don't know how much, but if any of you are interested, I can get you the info.

NorCal Rigs that Tacomas Envy-img_4011.jpg

It's a '91 and pretty clean. Last year of the square body.

mtbr member
    Sep 2015
    I test drove a new F150 w the 3.5L eco boost. What a truck! Itís better than my Tacoma in every way.
    Santa Cruz 5010 C
    Surly Crosscheck.

Quote Originally Posted by Boomchakabowwow View Post
    I test drove a new F150 w the 3.5L eco boost. What a truck! Itís better than my Tacoma in every way.
    Well yeah it's a mega-powerful fullsize. lol

The Taco is still better off-road though....

mtbr member
    Sep 2015
    Well yeah it's a mega-powerful fullsize. lol

The Taco is still better off-road though....
    Only in the way that it fits a tight space. The biggest downside of the modern truck is the cost. I was blown away with new truck pricing.

I am hoping to go up in truck size. Iím hoping for a bass boat in my future.

Btw, I didnít like the new Ford Ranger.
    Santa Cruz 5010 C
    Surly Crosscheck.

Only in the way that it fits a tight space. The biggest downside of the modern truck is the cost. I was blown away with new truck pricing.

I am hoping to go up in truck size. Iím hoping for a bass boat in my future.

Btw, I didnít like the new Ford Ranger.
    And breakover angle. That long wheelbase can be big trouble sometimes. Still, it's not that bad with a shortbed configuration.

NRP
    mtbr member
    Sep 2015
    I gotta figure out a way to swing a ZR2. It is THE mid size 4x4 pickup.

Everything else is "meh" (even Tacos).

Formerly of Kent
    Iím guessing you wonít be saying that in 10 years.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Death from Below.

Life's a Garden, dig it!
    I've become addicted to BringaTrailer. I found this ScoutII today for ya, FC:

NorCal Rigs that Tacomas Envy-1980_scout_2.jpg

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/19...er-scout-ii-2/

I'm guessing it will go high.

mtbr member
    Saw a brand new Jeep Wrangler Rubicon with a 392 Hemi today in the parking lot. If that's not just a badge, that thing must be a monster. Looked like 37 inch tires, big lift and all the bells and whistles. Didn't take a pic.

Saw a brand new Jeep Wrangler Rubicon with a 392 Hemi today in the parking lot. If that's not just a badge, that thing must be a monster. Looked like 37 inch tires, big lift and all the bells and whistles. Didn't take a pic.
    Pretty amazing conversion.

HEMIJK.com
    Last edited by DIRTJUNKIE; 06-24-2019 at 10:05 AM. Reason: Conversion not conversation, part of Apples spell check nightmare.

mtbr member
    Pretty amazing conversation.

HEMIJK.com
    Thats it! Dang, I should have taken a photo.

NRP
    mtbr member
    Sep 2015
    Pretty amazing conversation.

HEMIJK.com
    Oh damn. rho's next project?

Quote Originally Posted by NRP View Post
    Oh damn. rho's next project?
    LOL
    Iíd be all over that if I had the spare coinage.

I finally took a minute to take a shot of my neighbors driveway. Not so much the concrete but whatís sitting on top of it. He may need an intervention.

NorCal Rigs that Tacomas Envy-2cd43a88-448d-4d7f-ad25-08356af249ac.jpg

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    NorCal Rigs that Tacomas Envy-img_1288.jpg

Took my Tundra out to get dirty and followed a group of FJs

mtbr member

Name:	IMG_1288.jpg 
Views:	80 
Size:	334.3 KB 
ID:	1245885

Took my Tundra out to get dirty and followed a group of FJs

Where?

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    So. Ca

mtbr member
    So. Ca
    Bring your crew up to the next MTBR Hollister run.

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    Bring your crew up to the next MTBR Hollister run.
    Looks like you all had fun and I'll try to get some of us up there next time!

mtbr member
    Looks like you all had fun and I'll try to get some of us up there next time!
    Thereís talk of a Pinecrest wheeling, riding and camping trip. Would be epic. More to come.

fc
    are these Methods?

NorCal Rigs that Tacomas Envy-56408596_340905389872868_2331850578084233216_n.jpg
    IPA will save America

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    fc, you NEED that rig.

On the other hand, someone needs to pony up and order one of these:
    TANK X ‚ÄĒ Rezvani

It's begging for an NSR-6 on the back!

NorCal Rigs that Tacomas Envy-rezvani_tank_x_front_picture.jpg

The GM twins don't come equipped with utility rails in the bed like the Taco and Frontier so I made some DIY style using Superstrut rails and various hardware from Home Depot. For those of you without rails it was pretty easy and not very expensive.

Bracket is screwed in as an example. I'm returning these for something thinner with 3/8" holes instead of 1/2".
    NorCal Rigs that Tacomas Envy-1t66mxc.jpg

NorCal Rigs that Tacomas Envy-rrbfyyk.jpg

I mounted the rail to the bed using 3/8" toggle bolts.
    NorCal Rigs that Tacomas Envy-vaubn1i.jpg

I'll add a side rail to the bed and one or two to my bed rack as well. Maybe like this.
    NorCal Rigs that Tacomas Envy-ctt2qxm.jpg

mtbr member
    One of my Dadís budget rods he just finished. This one might be coming to CA with bike racks soon.

This was parked in front of a neighbors house this morning. Another project, from the looks of his place heís got several pending. 😂

NorCal Rigs that Tacomas Envy-a9693c29-611b-4cd4-93f2-d57025238b47.jpg

mtbr member
    Jul 2019
    Tacomas are OK, Toyota cant a hold a candle to my gear.

imageupload

fc
    Wife and i have been sharing the Taco for a few weeks since the 2nd car Volvo has gone to college. Aka, I haven't had a car for a month since i work from home.

Sooo, I went on a search for an SUV. Volvo, Highlander, 4runner, Pathfinder, Lexus. After the most depressing search ever of overpriced high mileage cars, dealers and folks that won't get back to you, I found a car.

Unicorn 2006 4runner driven by ole lady. 70k miles, V8 Limited, tow, Oregon highway only, detailed records. $12.5k, right here near my house!!!

Only gotcha is it smells like dog inside since it was mostly for her big dogs.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails NorCal Rigs that Tacomas Envy-img_0302-collage-2-.jpg  

NorCal Rigs that Tacomas Envy-img_0308.jpg  

NorCal Rigs that Tacomas Envy-img_0302.jpg  

IPA will save America

mtbr member
    Did a couple of big road trips this summer and our setup is pretty well dialed at this point. I will be making an on-demand hot water heater setup for showers and adding a 12v refrigerator. But otherwise very happy with everything.

NorCal Rigs that Tacomas Envy-tundra-1.jpgNorCal Rigs that Tacomas Envy-tundra-2.jpg

Iíll be at Waterdog
    I picked up an Ranger FX4 Lariat a few weeks ago after trading in my 2001 Ranger. Loving the truck...super fun to drive. Itís a quick truck with a loads of torque.

Got a shell on order and the windows are getting tinted in a few days. Weíll have no problems getting to those backwoods trailheads on our vacations now
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails NorCal Rigs that Tacomas Envy-191be112-8490-4e5b-902e-2e53aa859102.jpeg  

NorCal Rigs that Tacomas Envy-b071858a-3839-4130-82a9-458f366345b5.jpeg  

NorCal Rigs that Tacomas Envy-db782ca8-cee9-4812-a052-f4f2b23789db.jpeg  

MOUNTAIN BIKERS HAVE
    SINGLE TRACK MINDS

rho
    Life is strange
    NorCal Rigs that Tacomas Envy-welp..jpg

Did Swamp Lake trail a few weeks ago, super fun trail!
    I found bottom a loooooot. But thats kind of expected with a fairly low COG build...

NRP
    mtbr member
    Sep 2015
    Dang! That's awesome.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Since my thread bump 3 days ago this thread gained some more traction, well, some posts anyways.

Speaking of which, cool shot rho.

And congrats on your new rides FC and Ol Bromy.

Chris, That rig is badass.

And Outhouse, show off.

Iíll be at Waterdog
    Thanks, Dirtjunkie

Hung bikes off the back of the new truck today and headed for a ride. Spotted an interesting snub nose stake bed beast in the neighborhood on our way out too
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails NorCal Rigs that Tacomas Envy-865d36c4-1560-42f6-8407-1c18c6fd841b.jpeg  

NorCal Rigs that Tacomas Envy-43ee4d29-6753-40b6-9a6d-fec852fc857d.jpeg  

MOUNTAIN BIKERS HAVE
    SINGLE TRACK MINDS

Iíll be at Waterdog
    Wife and i have been sharing the Taco for a few weeks since the 2nd car Volvo has gone to college. Aka, I haven't had a car for a month since i work from home.

Sooo, I went on a search for an SUV. Volvo, Highlander, 4runner, Pathfinder, Lexus. After the most depressing search ever of overpriced high mileage cars, dealers and folks that won't get back to you, I found a car.

Unicorn 2006 4runner driven by ole lady. 70k miles, V8 Limited, tow, Oregon highway only, detailed records. $12.5k, right here near my house!!!

Only gotcha is it smells like dog inside since it was mostly for her big dogs.

Looks super clean! Pretty sure the dog fragrance will fade in time
    MOUNTAIN BIKERS HAVE
    SINGLE TRACK MINDS

mtbr member
    Dec 2017
    '79??? The last year for the first gen was '77, IIRC.
    76 actually. Full size came out in 77.

Quote Originally Posted by twodownzero View Post
    76 actually. Full size came out in 77.
    1978 was the first year for the second generation full size Bronco.

First generation went from 1966 to 1977.

mtbr member
    Jul 2019

And Outhouse, show off.

Im a poor boy lol, just manage money well.

Holy crappers! Dream bike. Is that the special addition one?

fc
    Quote Originally Posted by Ol Bromy View Post
    Looks super clean! Pretty sure the dog fragrance will fade in time
    Yeah, it feels like it's one year old. We take delivery tomorrow and I'll find out for sure. I'll check all the service records, fluids, etc. But my understanding is this was maintained meticulously by a very anal owner.

The dog smell... it needs to be gone in a week (since my wife will primarily drive this). So there will be an all-out attack. If anyone knows good strategies, let me know.
    IPA will save America

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Natureís Miracle Stain and Odor Remover works pretty well. A rug doctor type machine with a vinegar solution might also do the trick. Go over everything a few times.

mtbr member
    Jul 2019
    Holy crappers! Dream bike. Is that the special addition one?
    Nope just a white 13 1199S with a full termi exhaust and upmap tune

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Yeah, it feels like it's one year old. We take delivery tomorrow and I'll find out for sure. I'll check all the service records, fluids, etc. But my understanding is this was maintained meticulously by a very anal owner.

The dog smell... it needs to be gone in a week (since my wife will primarily drive this). So there will be an all-out attack. If anyone knows good strategies, let me know.
    Natures miracle is pretty good stuff. If it can keep my 4Runner from smelling like puke from my car sick dog, then it will help you. Welcome to the 4Runner club. I think those 4th gens might have had an issue with brakes, but I haven't heard of other major issues. This is a pretty good place to start https://www.toyota-4runner.org/4th-g...inks-faqs.html

You might want to check out the Toyota Service Bulletins for your year too https://www.toyota-4runner.org/tsb/

Quote Originally Posted by Outhouse View Post
    Nope just a white 13 1199S with a full termi exhaust and upmap tune
    Sweet machine. I was curious on what youíre running in your GMC. I have a feeling itís not stock under the hood and suspension. GMCís have always been on my short list of favorite trucks.

mtbr member
    Sep 2015

Easy. Run an extension cord into the vehicle and hook up your toaster. Burn some bread slices. Let it smoke a bit. The carbon will absorb the smell. This worked on skunk juice my dog ran in the house with, and vomit smell in my wifeís car last month. (Donít ask)

Be prepared to vent the car immediately. The smoke smell dissipates pretty quickly.
    Santa Cruz 5010 C
    Surly Crosscheck.

mtbr member
    Jul 2019
    Sweet machine. I was curious on what youíre running in your GMC. I have a feeling itís not stock under the hood and suspension. GMCís have always been on my short list of favorite trucks.
    RCD lift Bilstein shocks, hid headlights with projector beam, pioneer nav, focal door speakers, memphis amps and 2X8" subs.

Engine/trans I left alone, as it sometimes is used as a DD. Only 72k on it since I bought it new in 03. I need this to be reliable.

Quote Originally Posted by Outhouse View Post
    RCD lift Bilstein shocks, hid headlights with projector beam, pioneer nav, focal door speakers, memphis amps and 2X8" subs.

Engine/trans I left alone, as it sometimes is used as a DD. Only 72k on it since I bought it new in 03. I need this to be reliable.
    Understandable, and that is some low mileage for a 16 year old vehicle.

See how quick I did that math?

fc
    Easy. Run an extension cord into the vehicle and hook up your toaster. Burn some bread slices. Let it smoke a bit. The carbon will absorb the smell. This worked on skunk juice my dog ran in the house with, and vomit smell in my wifeís car last month. (Donít ask)

Be prepared to vent the car immediately. The smoke smell dissipates pretty quickly.
    Wow. I like it. McGyver!
    IPA will save America

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    not a new vehicle, per se, but an observation: I knew Taco guys had some 'tude (and somewhat rightly so as Taco's are, indeed, cool trucks) but it really came clear for me over these last couple days. I dropped my Raptor at the dealership for a few days of love (I'd put 20k miles on it in the last year alone...8k this summer on my solo adventure out to UT / CO / NM / etc and lots of those miles doing what I think the truck is intended to do...blasting around offload) and my friends at the dealership always hook me up with something new / different to test drive as a loaner. This time I took a Ranger....nicely spec'd 4x FX4 crew cab. I''m not going to post a big 'ol review on the Ranger here, but there's quite a bit to like about it. For the couple days I was driving that Ranger, the Taco guys who rolled up around me exhibited quite some 'tude, I'll tell ya.

fc
    not a new vehicle, per se, but an observation: I knew Taco guys had some 'tude (and somewhat rightly so as Taco's are, indeed, cool trucks) but it really came clear for me over these last couple days. I dropped my Raptor at the dealership for a few days of love (I'd put 20k miles on it in the last year alone...8k this summer on my solo adventure out to UT / CO / NM / etc and lots of those miles doing what I think the truck is intended to do...blasting around offload) and my friends at the dealership always hook me up with something new / different to test drive as a loaner. This time I took a Ranger....nicely spec'd 4x FX4 crew cab. I''m not going to post a big 'ol review on the Ranger here, but there's quite a bit to like about it. For the couple days I was driving that Ranger, the Taco guys who rolled up around me exhibited quite some 'tude, I'll tell ya.
    Can you describe the look or the stare, stare, sneer delivered?

I thought that was reserved for the Canyon guys.

Do Tacos offer CarPlay connectivity yet? Or do they do Bluetooth? lol.
    IPA will save America

Can you describe the look or the stare, stare, sneer delivered?

I thought that was reserved for the Canyon guys.

Do Tacos offer CarPlay connectivity yet? Or do they do Bluetooth? lol.
    Iím surprised he even noticed any of the Taco dudes Ďtude stare with all the dust he encountered coming up from behind.

mtbr member
    Jul 2019
    like it or not the Taco will outlast that ford by double its lifespan. And im a ford lover. But no half ton ford or chevy has ever done a million miles like the tundra can do

mtbr member
    Jul 2019
    Understandable, and that is some low mileage for a 16 year old vehicle.

This one is even worse, bought it new 2010 Husaberg and I only have 700 miles on it. Right after that I got my 848 and the dirt bike stayed parked for a while, then when I ditched the 848 and got the panigale, it had even less attention. Still ride it to work often and doen the driveway to get mail. But at 56 I keep air down to 10, lol

^ Sweet! A KTM on Grey Poupon.

ďHe who dies with the most toys winsĒ.

mtbr member
    Iím surprised he even noticed any of the Taco dudes Ďtude stare with all the dust he encountered coming up from behind.
    But all these trucks, except the ZR2, have a glaring weak link for off-road use. Guess what it is?

Locking diff. up front.

mtbr member
    Jul 2019
    ^ Sweet! A KTM on Grey Poupon.

ďHe who dies with the most toys winsĒ.
    Yep, frame even says KTM. At that time it had the fuel injection I wanted and a larger rear sprocket. Wasn't supposed to be plated, but I have ca plates and turn signals hidden on it.

fc
    Got the 07 Runner finally. Itís legit

IPA will save America

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Lucky find! Now go make it look legit with some "pinstripes" and dirt.

mtbr member
    Bring it over to the house and we'll cut it up, solid locking front/rear axles. Knock out the windows, get it ready for Hollister!

fc
    V8 and full time 4wd = sips gas
    IPA will save America

rho
    Life is strange
    Woof... that'll make my jeep look efficient.

mtbr member
    Sep 2015
    speaking of sipping gas.

i am always casually looking out for a Toyota Landcruiser FJ-80 or LExus LX450. totally over designed and they make great off-road rigs. but i think they use epics amounts of fuel.

prices are all over the place.

having said that..i was disliking my Tacoma recently. it had a maddening squeak in the rear suspension. i finally located it and solved the riddle. i was new truck shopping in the interim. that new truck cost is insanity.

never the less, my tacoma an i are back in honeymoon stage. i cannot picture a failure. it is simply so reliable.
    Santa Cruz 5010 C
    Surly Crosscheck.

jrm
    mtbr member
    It was only a matter of time.. i tell ya...

mtbr member
    Itís a great motor. I had to haul ass back from Seattle once, every time I looked down I needed gas. It felt like I was getting 1000 yards per tank.

I'm sick of all the Irish stereotypes, as soon as I finish this beer I"m punching someone

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    You're not going to get a V8 again in that size truck in the future -- more like a turbo 4-banger, which is what the new Ford Ranger has in it.

fc
    The Runner has had a bit of work done to it. Bluetooth, Weathertech, shampoo 3x.

Something really interesting is the tires are 13 years and not at the warning bars with 70k miles. My mechanic friends say thay have to go. NOW. So i gotta find some mall crawler tires asap.NorCal Rigs that Tacomas Envy-img_1033.jpg'

Suggestions?

Also, the paint is good but the clearcoat was BEAT. So buddy Derek buffed it out. Cause you know what they say... it'll buff out.NorCal Rigs that Tacomas Envy-img_1109.jpg
    IPA will save America

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Cooper AT3 4S or Falken Wildpeak A/T3W. Or you could go with BFGoodrich All-terrain A/T KO2. If it's staying on pavement mostly then I would stick with P-metric in the stock size rather than LT and/or a bigger size tire. LT = heavier. Bigger = heavier.

Who ****ing names tires by the way?

mtbr member

NorCal Rigs that Tacomas Envy

Quote Originally Posted by peter.thedrake View Post
    Cooper AT3 4S or Falken Wildpeak A/T3W. Or you could go with BFGoodrich All-terrain A/T KO2. If it's staying on pavement mostly then I would stick with P-metric in the stock size rather than LT and/or a bigger size tire. LT = heavier. Bigger = heavier.

Who ****ing names tires by the way?
    I have the Cooper AT3 4S on my Tahoe. They are awesome. Smooth on the road, good off road grip. I haven't had them in snow yet, but I've read they are some of the best four season snow tires I have the Falken Wildpeaks on my banger off road truck, for the price they are tough to beat, but the ride quality on road is nowhere near the Coopers.

And how often do we see tires that have to be retired due to age and not wear? FC the Runners looking marvelous.

And another addition to the thread. One bad ass rig here with a sweet ride on the back. Came across this at 8,000FT Colorado. He definitely uses it for its intended purpose. Looked like he was living out of it traveling cross country.

NorCal Rigs that Tacomas Envy-e0ebc29c-a03e-4ea1-92c1-9e568a0c5db3.jpg

NorCal Rigs that Tacomas Envy-673e0847-328b-45f1-ba92-d38e3b5f6173.jpg

NorCal Rigs that Tacomas Envy-a89078d1-3d41-4bd1-847f-c14e67dcc8af.jpg

Life's a Garden, dig it!
    I've become somewhat addicted to BringaTrailer lately and saw this one go today. I liked everything about it, even the interior. Not a Taco, but a Chevota. So, close!

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/19..._listing_ended

Hella Olde
    I've become somewhat addicted to BringaTrailer lately and saw this one go today. I liked everything about it, even the interior. Not a Taco, but a Chevota. So, close!

Bringatrailer is pretty awesome. They had a whole corral of oddities at the Monterey Historics a couple months ago. BTW you can ride your bike right into Laguna Seca via Fort Ord and go anywhere in the event unimpeded. There aRE no 'credentials' needed - once you're in, you're in.

jrm
    mtbr member
    i have 265/70/16 E's on the 4runner. First off road flogging a couple of months ago went really well. I dont find um very noisy and figure that once the edges get worn a bit theyll be a bit quieter. Oh.. and there huge for the size. Im glad i didnt get the 275s...

mtbr member
    Sep 2015

Amazing!
    Santa Cruz 5010 C
    Surly Crosscheck.

Just bad ass. Go inside the link and watch the video.

https://news.yahoo.com/1969-ford-bro...172222656.html

NorCal Rigs that Tacomas Envy-70c59d3a-430d-4d37-96c9-a158c08ed27b.jpg
    NorCal Rigs that Tacomas Envy-cf6587a7-9ee4-4ba6-834e-2cd98eca0aeb.jpg

Professional Troll
    i am always casually looking out for a Toyota Landcruiser FJ-80 or LExus LX450. totally over designed and they make great off-road rigs. but i think they use epics amounts of fuel.
    If you're buying an LX450 and worried about the cost of gas...you're doing it wrong. That's like buying a Ferrari and complaining about how much tires cost.

jrm
    mtbr member
    seriously. watched two guys go back and forth, and one of them throw in the towel after being out bidded by 1k on a F430 that sold for 191k......

fc
    Let's just say you have $150k to blow and a small penisNorCal Rigs that Tacomas Envy-img_1937.jpg

NorCal Rigs that Tacomas Envy-img_1939.jpg
    IPA will save America

FC, out of hibernation. Iíd like to think I had something to do with that.

Confused? Go here for what just happened 3 minutes ago. https://forums.mtbr.com/california-n...r-1081397.html

Sorry, not a Ford guy. Or a large penis envy type.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast