Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    fc
    head minion Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by riderup View Post
    If we're doing stangs...how about these...my last two. I've owned many mustangs throughout the years.
    - 2012 Boss 302 - sold it right after getting the Shelby
    - 2016 Shelby GT350R (base model - no A/C, radio, Nav, etc)
    - (and a pic with my father-in-law's 'beautiful 66 GT (amber glow)

Ha!! You have nice cars.

I remember when I first met you. I thought, "who in the area has a bike car like that already!"
    IPA will save America

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by fc View Post
    Ha!! You have nice cars.

I remember when I first met you. I thought, "who in the area has a bike car like that already!"
    ha! I put in quite a few years working at Ford Motor Company. The benefit for me, today, is being able to get my hands on the some of the more rare cars they're selling today at good prices. Given that they don't depreciate much and I get in at good prices, the cost to own is pretty low. So I basically just have a few cool Fords. I'm also a car nut and have professional rally and road racing licenses but I don't have enough money to actually race ;-). As Janet Guthrie said: "if you want to make a small fortune in auto racing, start with a large fortune" (I paraphrase)

mtbr member
    Lots of rad vintage 4x4's here!

My 1972 FJ40. Not the nicest Cruiser around by a long shot but I bought it in '94 so it's part of me. I regret the things I did to it, and in it, while I was in my 20's. It was so sweet before I got to messing with it. Solid runner though. These days it gets the bike around pretty good.

NorCal Rigs that Tacomas Envy-img_20180426_152313_113.jpg

NorCal Rigs that Tacomas Envy-img_20180819_112425_780.jpg

NorCal Rigs that Tacomas Envy-img_20170517_215120_606.jpg

NorCal Rigs that Tacomas Envy-img_20170822_194711_966.jpg

NorCal Rigs that Tacomas Envy-img_20181220_104145_294.jpg

NorCal Rigs that Tacomas Envy-img_20180204_130936_107.jpg

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottParsley View Post

My 1972 FJ40. Not the nicest Cruiser around by a long shot but I bought it in '94 so it's part of me. I regret the things I did to it, and in it, while I was in my 20's. It was so sweet before I got to messing with it. Solid runner though. These days it gets the bike around pretty good.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20180426_152313_113.jpg 
Views:	28 
Size:	413.1 KB 
ID:	1230003

Name:	IMG_20180819_112425_780.jpg 
Views:	25 
Size:	491.0 KB 
ID:	1230004

Name:	IMG_20170517_215120_606.jpg 
Views:	26 
Size:	584.5 KB 
ID:	1230005

Name:	IMG_20170822_194711_966.jpg 
Size:	409.5 KB 
ID:	1230006

Name:	IMG_20181220_104145_294.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	596.1 KB 
ID:	1230007

Name:	IMG_20180204_130936_107.jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	402.6 KB 
ID:	1230008
    sweet.

Self Appointed Judge&Jury
    sweet.
    I agree, Scott, did you do a V8 transplant? Pretty common thing to do with those old Landcruisers.
    Last edited by DIRTJUNKIE; 4 Weeks Ago at 02:55 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by mileslong View Post
    I passionately remove rocks and corners and other stuff I find too hard to ride.

If we're doing stangs...how about these...my last two. I've owned many mustangs throughout the years.
    - 2012 Boss 302 - sold it right after getting the Shelby
    - 2016 Shelby GT350R (base model - no A/C, radio, Nav, etc)
    - (and a pic with my father-in-law's 'beautiful 66 GT (amber glow)
    All cool cars. Are you happier with the Shelby over the Boss or vice versa?
    I passionately remove rocks and corners and other stuff I find too hard to ride.

Life's a Garden, dig it!

Name:	IMG_20180426_152313_113.jpg 
Views:	28 
Size:	413.1 KB 
ID:	1230003

Name:	IMG_20180819_112425_780.jpg 
Views:	25 
Size:	491.0 KB 
ID:	1230004

Name:	IMG_20170517_215120_606.jpg 
Size:	584.5 KB 
ID:	1230005

Name:	IMG_20170822_194711_966.jpg 
Size:	409.5 KB 
ID:	1230006

Name:	IMG_20181220_104145_294.jpg 
Size:	596.1 KB 
ID:	1230007

Name:	IMG_20180204_130936_107.jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	402.6 KB 
ID:	1230008
    I've had 2 FJ40s (a '72 and a '69) over the years and am in the market for another one. The prices have sky rocketed for nice ones and I'm not sure I'm ready for another project. I'm patient though and tend to find great deals (like the one I posted of my son's '70).
    Why Johnny Ringo, you look like someone just walked over your grave.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by DIRTJUNKIE View Post
    All cool cars. Are you happier with the Shelby over the Boss or vice versa?
    The Boss was a great car and the S197's were the last of the solid axle cars...which have their own charm. The Roadrunner motor was a blast...really free-spirited for a V8 and good grunt down low. But...the Shelby is next-level in so many ways.
    - the hand-built Voodoo motor is something special. It's likely there will never be something like it. The only other manufactures that makes a flat-plane configuration V8 for street cars is Ferrari. That gives it incredible responsiveness (revs up and down quickly) and the ability to spin up to 8,250 rpm...and the howl that thing makes...oh my. Not as much low-end grunt as the Coyote / Roadrunner, but wicked-flat power band. The tranny is way superior. I never had problems with the MT82 in the Boss, but many people did. Still, the unit in the Shelby in seriously sweet. The magneto shocks on the Shelby are excellent, the brakes are insane (maybe the best part of the car), and the carbon wheels (first ever on a production car) give the car a rally nimble feel. As bike riders, we all know what excellent wheels do for overall performance. The suspension is so well-sorted right out of the box that it's super predictable and easy to drive fast. When those Cup 2's get some temp in them, the mechanical grip in the car is astounding. But, really, I just keep coming back to the sound of that Voodoo motor...it is truly glorious. (see any review ever about the car to see what I mean). I got the stripped out (base) version and in the Avalanche color that is unique to the GT350...based on all the registries I've seen, mine appears to be a true '1 of 1' which should help it hold it's value. But that's not why I own it. I daily drive it. Literally ever day unless the weather is shitty or I'm going somewhere that I don't know I can get i n/ out of driveways...between the low ride height on the R and the aero bits...it's a bit of a bitch. I have no radio (or A/C, nav, etc)...so I just keep with windows rolled down the whole time and listen to that Voodoo scream. (oh, the back of the car is also gutted to allow for an extensive custom 4-pt bar I had built...so that amplifies the sound!). blah, blah, blah...yes, I love that car!

mtbr member
    I agree, riderup, did you do a V8 transplant? Pretty common thing to do with those old Landcruisers.
    No V8. Still working with the 236ci F155. I think it's on it's third one. I got an extra too. Speaking of Tacomas, I've often wanted to put a V6 from one in the FJ40 or my FJ45LV.

Quote Originally Posted by chuckha62 View Post
    I've had 2 FJ40s (a '72 and a '69) over the years and am in the market for another one. The prices have sky rocketed for nice ones and I'm not sure I'm ready for another project. I'm patient though and tend to find great deals (like the one I posted of my son's '70).
    Your son's FJ40 is a gem. Nice color too!

fc
    The Boss was a great car and the S197's were the last of the solid axle cars...which have their own charm. The Roadrunner motor was a blast...really free-spirited for a V8 and good grunt down low. But...the Shelby is next-level in so many ways.
    - the hand-built Voodoo motor is something special. It's likely there will never be something like it. The only other manufactures that makes a flat-plane configuration V8 for street cars is Ferrari. That gives it incredible responsiveness (revs up and down quickly) and the ability to spin up to 8,250 rpm...and the howl that thing makes...oh my. Not as much low-end grunt as the Coyote / Roadrunner, but wicked-flat power band. The tranny is way superior. I never had problems with the MT82 in the Boss, but many people did. Still, the unit in the Shelby in seriously sweet. The magneto shocks on the Shelby are excellent, the brakes are insane (maybe the best part of the car), and the carbon wheels (first ever on a production car) give the car a rally nimble feel. As bike riders, we all know what excellent wheels do for overall performance. The suspension is so well-sorted right out of the box that it's super predictable and easy to drive fast. When those Cup 2's get some temp in them, the mechanical grip in the car is astounding. But, really, I just keep coming back to the sound of that Voodoo motor...it is truly glorious. (see any review ever about the car to see what I mean). I got the stripped out (base) version and in the Avalanche color that is unique to the GT350...based on all the registries I've seen, mine appears to be a true '1 of 1' which should help it hold it's value. But that's not why I own it. I daily drive it. Literally ever day unless the weather is shitty or I'm going somewhere that I don't know I can get i n/ out of driveways...between the low ride height on the R and the aero bits...it's a bit of a bitch. I have no radio (or A/C, nav, etc)...so I just keep with windows rolled down the whole time and listen to that Voodoo scream. (oh, the back of the car is also gutted to allow for an extensive custom 4-pt bar I had built...so that amplifies the sound!). blah, blah, blah...yes, I love that car!
    Nice report. I got to drive the Boss 302 and the Shelby GT350 for a week each. I lived and didn't lose my hearing..

Here's the Boss on the day I got it.

The GT350 is just at another level. One of the best performance cars the US has made. I can't find my video but we got to take it to Laguna Seca for a day. After my 5 laps, the instructor said, "move over son and let me show you what this car can really do."
    IPA will save America

Just when I think I know all about all things muscle car someone like you schools me. Great write up comparison. I must say some of the newer muscle I need to look deeper into.

Moderator Moderator
    Ever been to AutoVino?

NorCal Rigs that Tacomas Envy-img_0609.jpg

No V8. Still working with the 236ci F155. I think it's on it's third one. I got an extra too. Speaking of Tacomas, I've often wanted to put a V6 from one in the FJ40 or my FJ45LV.
    A new gen Tacoma V6 would be a perfect motor swap out for either one of those.

fc
    Good catch and correct. If it were a 1979 it would look like an OJ Simpson Bronco.
    Oh sorry, it's a 1970NorCal Rigs that Tacomas Envy-img_5545.jpg
    IPA will save America

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    Nice report. I got to drive the Boss 302 and the Shelby GT350 for a week each. I lived and didn't lose my hearing..

The GT350 is just at another level. One of the best performance cars the US has made. I can't find my video but we got to take it to Laguna Seca for a day. After my 5 laps, the instructor said, "move over son and let me show you what this car can really do."
    it's also pretty amazing how much the GT350R and the standard GT350 differ given that the tweaks are relatively minor. (the R has the carbon wheels, carbon wing, cup 2's, some suspension tweaks, and weight reduction) It's one of those 'sum of the parts' things. I've tracked or raced just about every variant of the S197 (outgoing body style) and S550 (current body style cars) and, as you said, the 550-based cars (even if they're not the shelby's) are just so different than the S197 cars. That said, probably the most rewarding of them to track, in my mind, is the factory-built Boss 302S race car. Keep in mind that a bone-stock GT350R will run a 1:36 at Laguna (in Randy Probst's hands)...that's just unreal-fast for a $65k street car. It did win Road & Track's 2016 Performance Car of the Year award versus some serious competition: https://www.roadandtrack.com/car-cul...r-of-the-year/

Moderator Moderator
    I haven't been karting in a while, all this track talk is making me want to get back out.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    Just when I think I know all about all things muscle car someone like you schools me. Great write up comparison. I must say some of the newer muscle I need to look deeper into.
    c'mon now...you had a GTO. who's schooling who?

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Taco's like their cousins too.

NorCal Rigs that Tacomas Envy-4runnersyncline.jpg
    NorCal Rigs that Tacomas Envy-shuttles.jpg

fc
    it's also pretty amazing how much the GT350R and the standard GT350 differ given that the tweaks are relatively minor. (the R has the carbon wheels, carbon wing, cup 2's, some suspension tweaks, and weight reduction) It's one of those 'sum of the parts' things. I've tracked or raced just about every variant of the S197 (outgoing body style) and S550 (current body style cars) and, as you said, the 550-based cars (even if they're not the shelby's) are just so different than the S197 cars. That said, probably the most rewarding of them to track, in my mind, is the factory-built Boss 302S race car. Keep in mind that a bone-stock GT350R will run a 1:36 at Laguna (in Randy Probst's hands)...that's just unreal-fast for a $65k street car. It did win Road & Track's 2016 Performance Car of the Year award versus some serious competition: https://www.roadandtrack.com/car-cul...r-of-the-year/
    Oh yeah, I drove the R. Carbon fiber wheels ftw.
    IPA will save America

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by 5k bike 50cent legs View Post
    I haven't been karting in a while, all this track talk is making me want to get back out.
    karts are such a blast. Sonama's got a really fun circuit if you haven't been up there.

I will say, though, that for you guys that are motor heads...apparently many of you are...for something next-level fun, look at Dirtfish Rally School. It's expensive, for sure. But rally has got to be the funnest damn motorsport on the planet and these crew up there is the nicest group of guys and gals. Top notch facility in a super fun little town. A trip up there for a few days getting absolutely sideways in the dirt is really, really hard to beat.
    Here's a pic from a few years back getting busy in an older Subaru factory car coming through a corner they call 'The Hook' because it's shaped like a fish hook (less the 90 degrees and with a decreasing radius...makes it pretty tricky). The navigator is head instructor Nate Tennis who's a super nice guy and incredibly talented driver. I've always loved this pic because I felt like I must have been doing something right if I could induce that huge grin from a veteran rally racer while doing 50ish mph, completely 90 degrees sideways, setting up for a really tricky corner. good times...good times.
    (edit, looks like the pic is too small to see the smile so you'll just have to trust me on that one. lol)

NorCal Rigs that Tacomas Envy-dirtfish-nate-1mb.jpg

Moderator Moderator
    ^^^ Next time I'm in Seattle will hit that for 1/2 day. Which program did you do?

mtbr member
    FYI there is also a rally school held once a year in Santa Rosa. Primitive Racing Rally Driving School. Just a fairgrounds field and no fancy cars, but 2.5 days of instruction for $500

Or dive right in to the NorCal Rallycross series that holds rounds throughout the year in Prairie City and Santa Rosa. Like autocross on dirt. Run any hardtop street car. Both are on my bucket list, but I can't risk trashing my commuter car!

mtbr member

Man, I feel bad for your neighbors for that one week. That exhaust note is hot!

FC, Finally someone that gets it. All those 500HP plus foreign cars are amazing but nothing compares to the feel of a raw American hypo V8. You didnít even have to express it, the look on your face said it all.

fc
    Quote Originally Posted by flipnidaho View Post
    Man, I feel bad for your neighbors for that one week. That exhaust note is hot!
    The 350R is more intense. Basically a race car. Only saving grace for the neighbors is there's a switch. Loud and quiet mode.
    IPA will save America

Moderator Moderator
    How about the Corvettes?

Upcyclist
    Quote Originally Posted by BraapTastic View Post

Name:	4runnerSyncline.jpg 
Views:	36 
Size:	386.3 KB 
ID:	1230018

Name:	shuttles.JPG 
Views:	34 
Size:	180.3 KB 
ID:	1230019
    That's a nice looking 4Runner! I was thinking of getting a 3rd Gen to complement my 1st Gen Taco, but I've been wondering about the 4th Gens, they look kinda dorky stock, but really sweet (like yours) after they're done up. I'd keep my Taco (2wd) and use it as a work truck and get a 4Runner to lift and make into a more capable ORV/vacation rig. Looks like you can find them for around 10-12K.
    By continuing to browse my posts, you agree to accept my use of cookies.

sbd
    mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by chuckha62 View Post
    '79??? The last year for the first gen was '77, IIRC.
    Yep

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    NorCal Rigs that Tacomas Envy-img_1029.jpg
    Had a Ď89 pre-taco Toyota 4x4 pick up with the 22r engine that I drove until 2005. Still regret selling it even though it had no ac or stereo. Now that Iím older and my body is beaten up I recently upgraded to the Tundra (and Hightower LT). Life is good. Love the taco but need the room of the Tundra.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    The 350R is more intense. Basically a race car. Only saving grace for the neighbors is there's a switch. Loud and quiet mode.
    yep, that's the sound I'm referring to. The voodoo. That is a soundtrack that rivals the best in the world, IMO. It's the largest flat plane crank motor ever built (for a street car) with the highest 'specific' output for a naturally-aspirated motor ever delivered in a production car at >100h per liter. (btw, a liter is about 62 cubes for you old-schoolers in the crowd) It spins and screams like a (naturally-aspirated) Ferrari V8 (think 458), and builds power like a NASCAR motor. It's a motor built for road racing through and through (except it's got some counter-balancing issues which cause reliability problems for longer races...but that's a different story. the current gt350-based factory race cars, in fact, use a cross-plane set up like a standard street motor to eliminate this issue).

Re: the two exhaust settings, I've tried to reinforce with my kids that the settings aren't 'loud and quiet' but 'normal and quiet,' We can turn it to 'quiet' for leaving the neighborhood on an early morning if we must but, after that, we just run the car in 'normal' mode. ha! For those counting, 'normal' mode runs about 112 db when you've got your foot buried in the load pedal. (and, for this counting, you can't run at Laguna these days - save about 4 days a year for pro races - if you eclipse the 92 db mark. And, yes, there is a sound boot and they do check.)

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    ^^^ Next time I'm in Seattle will hit that for 1/2 day. Which program did you do?
    I started with the 3-day 4WD program (when they only had 4WD cars and they hadn't developed any of their advanced curriculum.) I was fortunate enough to be invited back to help develop their 2-day (4WD) curriculum...so I did that. That was partly because I was sucker enough to pay (partially) for a prototype class ;-) and partially because they end up teaching a lot of people like me who have road racing backgrounds. Turns out that they believe (and I think I do too) that it's harder to train a road racer to drive rally cars than it is to train someone with very little / no training. The style and techniques are sooo different. I tell people that the only analogy I can draw is that it's sorta like having different software maps on your car...you can switch between them but they're, fundamentally, completely different programs. I've also done some other various custom stuff up there in more advanced cars.

The common theme that i hear, no matter what course you take, is that people wish they'd taken a longer course. It's more expensive, yes...but the days build on each other rapidly...so the 3rd day of the 3-day, for instance, is sooo far beyond the 1st (and, even second) day...it's pretty remarkable how quickly they can get you to progress.

For us dirt riders, one of the things that's really appealing about mixed-surface driving, versus road racing, is how much you have to read the surface and hunt for grip. And the surface is always changing...the same corner is never the same corner...unlike something like T4 at LS...sure, it varies a little based on ambient temp and moisture, but not that much.

In a rally car on dirt, there's not lateral grip. none. So you can't rely on 'seat of the pants' driving. (which, despite it sounding like a pejorative, isn't at all for road racing...feeling what the car's doing through your body is super important and valuable)
    In a rally car, you don't get that input...so it's all about driving with your eyes. It's something you can carry back to road racing, for sure...as the number one thing you have to teach new drivers (just like new mtb riders) is to use your eyes to look up ahead...sounds silly, but it's true. Then, once you get that part, you have to learn a whole new set of techniques for managing the car. Because there's no lateral grip, the steering wheel does very little to turn the car. You 'suggest' where the car should point with the steering wheel, but you really point it with the brakes. You use the brakes to manage for / aft weight transfer which, with a little steering 'suggestion' gets the car to rotate. Which brings me to my last point: all that rotation means you are constantly trying to manage tons of oversteer...and, not just 'correct' it...but manage it. (like drifter car drivers aren't always trying to 'correct' it).
    Because of that, places like Dirtfish (and Oneill on the east coast) are becoming popular places for road racing instructors to send students. In road racing, it's easy to teach people the concept of a racing line or 'turn in' or 'track out' points, but basic car control skills are a bit of a lost art in this generation of drivers who've grown up driving cars (even race cars) with stability control systems. It's one thing to be fast in a car with paddle shifters and electronic stability control systems...it's a whole different kettle of fish trying to manage a car that's out of sorts at speed (let along, getting your own shifting done and all the instability that that causes in the chassis and drivetrain).

Moderator Moderator
    ^^^ Thanks for that, I'm in!! Where I grew up in North Carolina dirt track was huge. This is my uncle's car back in the early 90's, he's the guy in the wife beater and Kaiser stashe (RIP). I have always wanted to try rally.

NorCal Rigs that Tacomas Envy-screen-shot-2018-11-13-7.35.27-pm.jpg

Not helpful.
    Name:  Subie smile close.jpg
Views: 485
Size:  7.7 KB

Yep.

mtbr member
    NorCal Rigs that Tacomas Envy-83883f3c-9afd-4e38-a38e-b4f0ccbe1ca9.jpg
    My 93 air cooled 911. It was a blast to autocross. I even had a bike rack for it but could only bring myself to use it only once. Only 250 HP but rocked the twisties. I pegged 157 in it once going across Utah and it still had more to go before it was red lined. I miss that car!

Quote Originally Posted by fred-da-trog View Post
    Maybe only one to envy, maybe...NorCal Rigs that Tacomas Envy-b7fe40c0-1708-4f40-aad8-7d61416694d6.jpegNorCal Rigs that Tacomas Envy-dee89fcb-0658-401c-9799-18fbcfbd3d50.jpeg
    LOL
    I totally missed this post way up the thread.

Cool Bronco as well.

Log off and go ride!
    Jul 2003
    Tundras were created so tacomas could have something to aspire to.
    So many trails... so little time...

Quote Originally Posted by dave54 View Post
    Tundras were created so tacomas could have something to aspire to.
    You don know you are in Tacoma country, no?

Nice 911 Yahooo, Iím sure you were screaming your username at 157 MPH.

fc
    Buddyís econobox
    IPA will save America

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by BraapTastic View Post

Name:	4runnerSyncline.jpg 
Views:	36 
Size:	386.3 KB 
ID:	1230018

Name:	shuttles.JPG 
Views:	34 
Size:	180.3 KB 
ID:	1230019
    I Love the look of the Pro Comp 7031 wheels. What lift goodies do I see in there?
    The 2Gen Taco's and 3Gen 4Runners use the same front coils and UCA's

NorCal Rigs that Tacomas Envy-20150124_093121_1.jpg
    NorCal Rigs that Tacomas Envy-img_20141126_185958.jpg

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    Buddyís econobox
    awesome little rigs. 350hp/350tq out of the box with a super trick 4wd system. Add an accessport...even a conservative Mountune tune will get you ~390hp/420tq on 91.

Super fun hwy 9 car or auto-x. One of the pics below is of my daughter (16 at the time) throwing down on all the 'B Street' ladies in NorCal...she was the quickest one out there in her first year out. Yep, daddy proud.

NorCal Rigs that Tacomas Envy-img_6905.jpgNorCal Rigs that Tacomas Envy-img_7436.jpgNorCal Rigs that Tacomas Envy-img_7708.jpg

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    ^^^ Thanks for that, I'm in!! Where I grew up in North Carolina dirt track was huge. This is my uncle's car back in the early 90's, he's the guy in the wife beater and Kaiser stashe (RIP). I have always wanted to try rally.

Name:	Screen Shot 2018-11-13 at 7.35.27 PM.jpg 
Views:	30 
Size:	207.5 KB 
ID:	1230087
    that's the way to do it. that is HARD CORE racing...those guys don't mess around.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Yahooo View Post

Name:	83883F3C-9AFD-4E38-A38E-B4F0CCBE1CA9.jpg 
Views:	29 
Size:	391.4 KB 
ID:	1230102
    My 93 air cooled 911. It was a blast to autocross. I even had a bike rack for it but could only bring myself to use it only once. Only 250 HP but rocked the twisties. I pegged 157 in it once going across Utah and it still had more to go before it was red lined. I miss that car!
    sweet. and you know the air-cooled cars are bringing the money nowadays. crazy. don't know if it's just the way the car is sitting on the pavement in that pic but the rear camber looks super aggressive...I like! great stance.

fc
    sweet. and you know the air-cooled cars are bringing the money nowadays. crazy. don't know if it's just the way the car is sitting on the pavement in that pic but the rear camber looks super aggressive...I like! great stance.
    I think we found riderup's calling. His mtbr word post count just doubled!!
    IPA will save America

Moderator Moderator
    I think he might have an interest in adrenaline.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    no doubt. bikes and cars (and family and friends). I'm a car nut, through and through. and I'm not much of a poster...I'm not on facebook or twitter or any of that jazz.

fc
    GT 350R belly

NorCal Rigs that Tacomas Envy-img_4558.jpg
    pretty much flawless

NorCal Rigs that Tacomas Envy-img_4564.jpg
    Carbon wheels - a relative bargain, like the rest of the car.
    IPA will save America

mtbr member
    Nov 2018

Name:	83883F3C-9AFD-4E38-A38E-B4F0CCBE1CA9.jpg 
Views:	29 
Size:	391.4 KB 
ID:	1230102
    I had an 88 928 with a surf rack on it, used it a few times, definitely got some funny looks.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6003 using Tapatalk

fc
    FC, Finally someone that gets it. All those 500HP plus foreign cars are amazing but nothing compares to the feel of a raw American hypo V8. You didnít even have to express it, the look on your face said it all.
    The Boss 302 has a special exhaust designed to thrill the driver and passengers when in a tunnel. They are side exhausts that will make sound bounce off the wall and hit vehicle passengers with a deto nation. I went through a lot of underpasses. NorCal Rigs that Tacomas Envy-img_0377-1-.jpg
    IPA will save America

mtbr member

Nice 911 Yahooo, Iím sure you were screaming your username at 157 MPH.
    Indeed- the scariest part of going that fast in that car was how quiet and stable it was. Like it was a good cruising speed- the only thing going nuts was my heartbeat.

Thanks I dropped it to RS height, installed Bilstein PSS10 struts myself and had the alignment and corner balance done professionally. I had a lot of camber on the rear just for aggressive cornering

fc
    Indeed- the scariest part of going that fast in that car was how quiet and stable it was. Like it was a good cruising speed- the only thing going nuts was my heartbeat.

Thanks I dropped it to RS height, installed Bilstein PSS10 struts myself and had the alignment and corner balance done professionally. I had a lot of camber on the rear just for aggressive cornering
    Car is capable of much more. When I was young, dream car was that yellowbird RUF 911 that went well over 200mph. Looked like yours essentially.

IPA will save America

mtbr member
    ^Yellowbird IS awesome. RUF Porsches are unbelievable- my brother had 993 (911) RUF and it had like 525 HP in a 3,000 lbs car. The g-force on acceleration in that thing was crazy.

I believe the top speed on my 964 (911)was 167.

The Boss 302 has a special exhaust designed to thrill the driver and passengers when in a tunnel. They are side exhausts that will make sound bounce off the wall and hit vehicle passengers with a deto nation. I went through a lot of underpasses. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0377 (1).jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	68.4 KB 
ID:	1230134
    Definitely a unique exhaust system.

Read here about it. https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a1...d-even-better/

fc
    ^Yellowbird IS awesome. RUF Porsches are unbelievable- my brother had 993 (911) RUF and it had like 525 HP in a 3,000 lbs car. The g-force on acceleration in that thing was crazy.

I believe the top speed on my 964 (911)was 167.
    Here we go. Old school tcs, abs, esc, esp and downforce provided by weight of driver Stephan Roser's balls.
    IPA will save America

Elitest thrill junkie
    GT 350R belly

Name:	IMG_4558.jpg 
Size:	337.9 KB 
ID:	1230128
    pretty much flawless

Name:	IMG_4564.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	210.6 KB 
ID:	1230129
    Yeah, but can it carry a bike?

NorCal Rigs that Tacomas Envy-img_5338.jpgNorCal Rigs that Tacomas Envy-img_5340.jpg

1LE, and it only comes in manual
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    Car is capable of much more. When I was young, dream car was that yellowbird RUF 911 that went well over 200mph. Looked like yours essentially.

so hot.

so hot.
    Iíd say, power slides at triple digits.
    Last edited by DIRTJUNKIE; 4 Weeks Ago at 03:04 PM.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayem View Post
    Yeah, but can it carry a bike?

Name:	IMG_5338.jpg 
Size:	374.4 KB 
ID:	1230140Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_5340.jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	270.9 KB 
ID:	1230138

1LE, and it only comes in manual
    nice set up.
    while the current camaro doesn't do it for me, emotionally, they are incredibly capable cars. chevy did the right thing with the Alpha chassis (as Colin Chapman of Lotus said about building fast cars: 'add lightness')

and the 1LE is about the best bang for the buck on street today, IMO.

I used to pack my bike into the back of my boss (take the wheels off and the frame would slide right in through the truck) but never went with the hitch. the GT350R is a different story...I've taken up most of the usable space behind the front seats with a roll bar and I can bring myself to cut up the rear valance on it for a hitch.

The Shelby's are also manual-only...and here's what one looks like / sounds like from the back.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    GT 350R belly

Name:	IMG_4558.jpg 
Size:	337.9 KB 
ID:	1230128
    pretty much flawless

Name:	IMG_4564.jpg 
Size:	210.6 KB 
ID:	1230129
    nice. were you at the pre-launch event at LS? perhaps those were the hot laps you were referring to?

Elitest thrill junkie
    nice set up.
    while the current camaro doesn't do it for me, emotionally, they are incredibly capable cars. chevy did the right thing with the Alpha chassis (as Colin Chapman of Lotus said about building fast cars: 'add lightness')

and the 1LE is about the best bang for the buck on street today, IMO.

I used to pack my bike into the back of my boss (take the wheels off and the frame would slide right in through the truck) but never went with the hitch. the GT350R is a different story...I've taken up most of the usable space behind the front seats with a roll bar and I can bring myself to cut up the rear valance on it for a hitch.
    Yeah, there's no way a bike is fitting through the trunk opening! Maybe if you unbolt the front triangle from the rear, haha. It's a blast to drive though and makes all the right noises. The handling and capability from the wheels and tires (and chassis) is out of this world. Every time I still tell myself, "305s? That's crazy!". I'm glad they designed it to take that kind of meat and that they spec it. They didn't hold anything back.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

fc
    Wet road, Highway 9, seasucker, bike, pole starNorCal Rigs that Tacomas Envy-p1240461.jpg
    IPA will save America

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    Yeah, there's no way a bike is fitting through the trunk opening! Maybe if you unbolt the front triangle from the rear, haha. It's a blast to drive though and makes all the right noises. The handling and capability from the wheels and tires (and chassis) is out of this world. Every time I still tell myself, "305s? That's crazy!". I'm glad they designed it to take that kind of meat and that they spec it. They didn't hold anything back.
    it's crazy that we're talking about street cars with 305's, right?! the R is 305f / 315r Cup 2's. The thing tramlines like an SOB...but, honestly, that's part of the fun of it. A lot of guys who track them run 315's square. With the massive unsprung weight reduction they did on the car, including the carbon wheels, the steering feel is reminiscent of mid or rear engined P-car. These so called 'pony' cars have really moved well beyond that...they're legit sports cars (in the right trim) at this point.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    Wet road, Highway 9, seasucker, bike, pole starClick image for larger version. 

Name:	P1240461.jpg 
Views:	35 
Size:	234.4 KB 
ID:	1230141
    another sweet ride!

mtbr member
    Nice driving dude. That almost sounds like an exhaust bypass!

fc
    I'll cap off my posting here with the greatest film of its era. And it may never be outdone since Pikes Peak now is electric cars and pavement.

Put your headphones on and set to full screen
    IPA will save America

Moderator Moderator
    The quality of this film is stunning.

Last edited by 5k bike 50cent legs; 4 Weeks Ago at 03:55 PM.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    Definitely a unique exhaust system.

Read here about it. https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a1...d-even-better/

old school side pipe style. the trick with the boss (when you use the 'track key' tune is that, on deceleration, they decrease the air/fuel ration and flow more fuel through the cylinders than they know will get combusted...that leaves unburnt fuel flowing into the exhaust where, when it hits the hot headers, combusts and makes those big pops...kinda like a 'back-fire' in an old carbureted car...just that they do it intentionally). that notion has now been picked up and programmed into many cars. A variant on that idea is to open the exhaust valve slightly early so that you actually hear the detonation from inside the cylinder...such as the system on the Focus RS. The downside to that is that you, obviously, lose some of the power on combustion if the cylinder isn't fully sealed shut. That's what they only do it on deceleration...where the driver has signaled they don't need power.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    I'll cap off my posting here with the greatest film of its era. And it may never be outdone since Pikes Peak now is electric cars and pavement.

Put your headphones on and set to full screen
    it might be the best film, irrespective of era.
    I do have a soft spot for 'Kenny from the Block' and his bad-ass Ford-based creations. The Hoonicorn is pure genius. And with modern, multi-camera video, you really get a sense for how powerful the pendulum turn (aka 'Scandanavian flick') is...Ken really is a master.

Life's a Garden, dig it!
    Looks like KB threw in a few extra turns for good measure.

Yum DONUTS!
    Why Johnny Ringo, you look like someone just walked over your grave.

old school side pipe style. the trick with the boss (when you use the 'track key' tune is that, on deceleration, they decrease the air/fuel ration and flow more fuel through the cylinders than they know will get combusted...that leaves unburnt fuel flowing into the exhaust where, when it hits the hot headers, combusts and makes those big pops...kinda like a 'back-fire' in an old carbureted car...just that they do it intentionally). that notion has now been picked up and programmed into many cars. A variant on that idea is to open the exhaust valve slightly early so that you actually hear the detonation from inside the cylinder...such as the system on the Focus RS. The downside to that is that you, obviously, lose some of the power on combustion if the cylinder isn't fully sealed shut. That's what they only do it on deceleration...where the driver has signaled they don't need power.
    Cool stuff.

Moderator Moderator
    Watching this makes me nervous! The concentration required is incredible.

mtbr member
    Bike rack not shown, but it is a swingaway HD rack that doesnt shake off road.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails NorCal Rigs that Tacomas Envy-jeep-gw-rside.jpg  

mtbr member
    Wet road, Highway 9, seasucker, bike, pole starClick image for larger version. 

Name:	P1240461.jpg 
Views:	35 
Size:	234.4 KB 
ID:	1230141
    Reminds me of my old bike transporter. Hwy 9 runs testing the limits of the old Thule fork mount. I actually bought the R32 back from the guy I sold it to, but I use the Yukon for carrying the bike on the rare occasion that I don't just ride to the trailhead.
    NorCal Rigs that Tacomas Envy-myr32biked9.jpg

I just crapped my pants.

Is that MPH? 369 at one point.

mtbr member
    I just crapped my pants.

Is that MPH?
    KPH. He was hitting close to 215 MPH when he was flat out.

Quote Originally Posted by TheMachinist View Post
    KPH. He was hitting close to 215 MPH when he was flat out.
    Still insanity.

I just did the math and it was 229MPH at one point. His highest KPH that I saw was 269.

Moderator Moderator
    Still insanity.
    He was hitting 230mph flat out. That's a LeMans car that has been stripped down to run as fast as possible. Insane.

He was hitting 230mph flat out.
    See my edit above.

Moderator Moderator
    See my edit above.
    Yep!

NorCal Rigs that Tacomas Envy-porsche-919-hybrid-evo-2.jpg

Yep!

Name:	Porsche-919-Hybrid-Evo-2.jpg 
Views:	39 
Size:	200.0 KB 
ID:	1230229
    I want to take it for a spin.

Quote Originally Posted by Blackies Pasture View Post
    Bike rack not shown, but it is a swingaway HD rack that doesnt shake off road.
    Nice old 1979 Wagoneer.

Moderator Moderator
    I want to take it for a spin.
    Here's something that will blow your mind: 2.0-liter turbocharged V4 engine paired to a hybrid system, the 919 Hybrid Evo delivers a total output of 1,160 hp!

This is the car they run at 24hr of LeMans, but with all the headlights etc stripped out of it.

Here's something that will blow your mind: 2.0-liter turbocharged V4 engine paired to a hybrid system, the 919 Hybrid Evo delivers a total output of 1,160 hp!

This is the car they run at 24hr of LeMans, but with all the headlights etc stripped out of it.
    So amazing, technology gone wild.

fc
    So amazing, technology gone wild.
    For highest performance though, the days of gas engines are numbered. We may be on the last generation.
    IPA will save America

fc
    My next door neighbor skipped college and just started working for apple right away. Heís still young and going through cars just as he did in Gran Turismo.

Black daily driver and noisy red car
    IPA will save America

Nice!
    A McLaren as a daily driver, lol. Love it.

mtbr member

24hrs of Le Mans without headlights? Sounds sketchy.

Moderator Moderator

NorCal Rigs that Tacomas Envy

24hrs of Le Mans without headlights? Sounds sketchy.
    No, the Nurburgring car they stripped out the headlights and all the stuff that would usually be there for the LeMans race, to make it as light as possible. Stripped down its faster than an F1 car.

No, the Nurburgring car they stripped out the headlights and all the stuff that would usually be there for the LeMans race, to make it as light as possible. Stripped down its faster than an F1 car.
    I think Scott needs to watch that video all the way through and keep an eye on the speed graph. I watched it last night and Iím still shaking.

mtbr member
    Holy Smokes!!!! That driving is outstanding. Talk about being "in the zone".

fc
    my buddies are in love with their 1990s Toyota Land Cruisers. Wheelin every weekend now.

Any good? 1990-97 Toyota Land Cruiser | Consumer Guide AutoNorCal Rigs that Tacomas Envy-46655046_10157130121984206_1085717455541633024_n.jpg
    IPA will save America

Elitest thrill junkie
    I think we are just a couple years away at the most before a total EV takes it. Hybrid sports cars will definitely be a thing for a while and in longer events, the ability to store braking energy and then unleash it out of a turn can't be matched by purely ICE vehicles. I think it's only a matter of time though before a pure EV take "the ring", only having to work for one lap lets an EV maximize the things it's good at.

Formerly of Kent
    I think we are just a couple years away at the most before a total EV takes it. Hybrid sports cars will definitely be a thing for a while and in longer events, the ability to store braking energy and then unleash it out of a turn can't be matched by purely ICE vehicles. I think it's only a matter of time though before a pure EV take "the ring", only having to work for one lap lets an EV maximize the things it's good at.
    A VW EV obliterated the Pikes Peak Hill Climb this year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Death from Below.

mtbr member
    Spotted in WA
    Name:  FB_IMG_1541095081858-1.jpg
Views: 465
Size:  54.5 KB
    It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society.

Upcyclist
    my buddies are in love with their 1990s Toyota Land Cruisers. Wheelin every weekend now.

Any good? 1990-97 Toyota Land Cruiser | Consumer Guide AutoClick image for larger version. 

Name:	46655046_10157130121984206_1085717455541633024_n.jpg 
Views:	45 
Size:	62.8 KB 
ID:	1230293
    I've been wanting something like that, or a 4Runner so I got a bit excited. After looking at them real quick; initial cost is cheap ~5-6K, but 12-14mpg is a deal breaker. Maybe they're really good off road?
    By continuing to browse my posts, you agree to accept my use of cookies.

Moderator Moderator
    Holy Smokes!!!! That driving is outstanding. Talk about being "in the zone".
    Loss of concentration at that speed = death.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Parked my FJ in the Toyota row at Sea Otter. Also have a Bronco to haul around bikes.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails NorCal Rigs that Tacomas Envy-img_8760.jpg  

NorCal Rigs that Tacomas Envy-img_7878.jpg  

fc
    i've seen worseNorCal Rigs that Tacomas Envy-img_1327.jpg
    IPA will save America

Moderator Moderator
    ^^^ Looks like he got hit in the 1/4 panel.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004

Any good? 1990-97 Toyota Land Cruiser | Consumer Guide AutoClick image for larger version. 

Name:	46655046_10157130121984206_1085717455541633024_n.jpg 
Views:	45 
Size:	62.8 KB 
ID:	1230293
    those trucks are balls.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by WHALENARD View Post
    Spotted in WA
    Name:  FB_IMG_1541095081858-1.jpg
Views: 465
Size:  54.5 KB
    Itís a white trash Batmobile.