NorCal Rigs that Tacomas Envy - Page 2- Mtbr.com
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Dec 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by fc View Post
    my buddies are in love with their 1990s Toyota Land Cruisers. Wheelin every weekend now.

Any good?
    Yep. Best vehicle I've ever owned. Gas milage sucks, but it will do everything else I ask. Hardcore wheelin on the Rubicon trail, extended offroad trips to Moab, camping with the family, and comfortable leather and decent stereo for the commute.

NorCal Rigs that Tacomas Envy-fzj80-side.jpg
    NorCal Rigs that Tacomas Envy-poison1.jpg

fc
    head minion Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by Shipwreck View Post
    Yep. Best vehicle I've ever owned. Gas milage sucks, but it will do everything else I ask. Hardcore wheelin on the Rubicon trail, extended offroad trips to Moab, camping with the family, and comfortable leather and decent stereo for the commute.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	FZJ80 side.jpg 
Views:	82 
Size:	483.8 KB 
ID:	1230354

Name:	Poison1.jpg 
Views:	64 
Size:	100.7 KB 
ID:	1230355
    it looks soooooo darn good. And to feel that sheet metal too is to realize robust quality.
    IPA will save America

Formerly of Kent
    I always tell people that thereís a very good reason that Landcruisers, 4Runners and the Hi-Lux in particular are the preferred vehicles of warlords and drug lords all over the world. You just canít kill them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Death from Below.

Self Appointed Judge&Jury
    Quote Originally Posted by Le Duke View Post
    I always tell people that thereís a very good reason that Tacomaís, Landcruisers, 4Runners and the Hi-Lux in particular are the preferred vehicles of warlords and drug lords all over the world. You just canít kill them.

Fixed that for you.
    Quote Originally Posted by mileslong View Post
    I passionately remove rocks and corners and other stuff I find too hard to ride.

Formerly of Kent

NorCal Rigs that Tacomas Envy

Quote Originally Posted by DIRTJUNKIE View Post
    Fixed that for you.
    Iíve never seen a Tacoma in AFG or other countries. Many a Hilux, though. And lots of 4Runners.

Although the most popular vehicle there was the Corolla. By far. That and Mercedes 18-wheelers. Iím guessing the average Afghan drives rougher roads in his Corolla than most Tacoma-driving NorCal residents.

Death from Below.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Here's my entry the most overengineered Mall Crawler. Lexus GX 470 they are badged as the Landcruiser Prado outside America.

NorCal Rigs that Tacomas Envy-lexi-4-5-15.jpg

Here, diagonally!
    Quote Originally Posted by WHALENARD View Post
    Spotted in WA
    Attachment 1230296
    Love to see these old restored musclecars. Nicely done in this case, although I can't help but notice that one of the rear taillight bulbs is out.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by WHALENARD View Post
    Spotted in WA
    Attachment 1230296
    I bet that guy has an awesome set of tools.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Le Duke View Post
    Iíve never seen a Tacoma in AFG or other countries. Many a Hilux, though. And lots of 4Runners.

Although the most popular vehicle there was the Corolla. By far. That and Mercedes 18-wheelers. Iím guessing the average Afghan drives rougher roads in his Corolla than most Tacoma-driving NorCal residents.

An interesting article on that very topic.

https://www.khaama.com/why-the-toyot...rite-car-8765/
    Last edited by 5k bike 50cent legs; 12-24-2018 at 06:27 PM.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by 5k bike 50cent legs View Post
    i bet that guy is a tool.
    fify
    Its all Shits and Giggles until somebody Giggles and Shits

fc
    Scout II!

I'm getting mine very soon.NorCal Rigs that Tacomas Envy-img_0509.jpg

NorCal Rigs that Tacomas Envy-img_0522.jpg

NorCal Rigs that Tacomas Envy-screen-shot-2019-01-01-8.56.28-am.jpg

NorCal Rigs that Tacomas Envy-screen-shot-2019-01-01-8.56.55-am.jpg
    IPA will save America

mtbr member

The backup rig in Boise

This thing rides nice! It was purchased from the local Land Rover Independent mechanic so we are reasonably sure it's in good condition (the bonus is that the mechanic's shop is 1/2 mile away from my front door).
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails NorCal Rigs that Tacomas Envy-img_0056.jpg  

Life's a Garden, dig it!
    Quote Originally Posted by flipnidaho View Post
    This thing rides nice! It was purchased from the local Land Rover Independent mechanic so we are reasonably sure it's in good condition (the bonus is that the mechanic's shop is 1/2 mile away from my front door).
    Let's hope they're better than they used to be, or you'll want the mechanic next door.
    "And crawling on the planet's face, some insects called, The Human Race..."

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by chuckha62 View Post
    Let's hope they're better than they used to be, or you'll want the mechanic next door.
    It's always Russian Roulette with used cars. With Land Rovers, it's more like Russian Roulette with a semi-automatic. But I'm keeping my finger's crossed since I got this truck checked over pretty thoroughly.

Life's a Garden, dig it!
    It's always Russian Roulette with used cars. With Land Rovers, it's more like Russian Roulette with a semi-automatic. But I'm keeping my finger's crossed since I got this truck checked over pretty thoroughly.
    Yeah, they do ride VERY nice though, don't they? Make you want to take a chance on them.

mtbr member
    Yeah, they do ride VERY nice though, don't they? Make you want to take a chance on them.
    Totally. Specially when a newer used RR costs way less than a comparable Lexus GX, LX, Toyota Sequoia/Land Cruiser/4 Runner. But if given a choice, my first choice will still be an old Land Cruiser or Sequoia. It's amazing how a 2012 Range Rover Supercharged that costs over $100k, can sell for $20k or less (1 owner, clean carfax, 12 month extended warranty).

mtbr member
    Totally. Specially when a newer used RR costs way less than a comparable Lexus GX, LX, Toyota Sequoia/Land Cruiser/4 Runner. But if given a choice, my first choice will still be an old Land Cruiser or Sequoia. It's amazing how a 2012 Range Rover Supercharged that costs over $100k, can sell for $20k or less (1 owner, clean carfax, 12 month extended warranty).
    Yep! The best way to buy a RR is used. The reliability of the newer RR is much better than the old ones. Still expensive to work on however.

That is insane depreciation. Plus the upcoming turbo expenditures. I guess it equals out when you figure that in anyways.

Sweet ride and congrats. I mean that seriously, It is a sweet ride.
    I passionately remove rocks and corners and other stuff I find too hard to ride.

mtbr member
    That is insane depreciation. Plus the upcoming turbo expenditures. I guess it equals out when you figure that in anyways.

Sweet ride and congrats. I mean that seriously, It is a sweet ride.
    The crazy thing is, the 2006 RR Supercharged that I bought "started" at $90k new. I picked it up for less than $10k (it had 100k miles at the time I purchased it). Similar vintage/mileage Toyota Land Cruisers are selling for $20k to $24k.

mtbr member
    The crazy thing is, the 2006 RR Supercharged that I bought "started" at $90k new. I picked it up for less than $10k (it had 100k miles at the time I purchased it). Similar vintage/mileage Toyota Land Cruisers are selling for $20k to $24k.
    That is a really sweet Rover, btw. Want to see really insane depreciation, look at Mercedes S Classes.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Tomor View Post
    Attachment 1229992

This thing seems like the perfect Santa Cruz Rig. Can store both the surfboard and wetsuit at the same time as bike and gear. No real conversion done to the inside, just a couple extra seats and a lot of room for changing and storage.
    I've got van envy but have trouble rationalizing the ~35k purchase price just for toy hauling and mild camping. Help?

sbd
    mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Scout II!

I'm getting mine very soon.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0509.jpg 
Views:	56 
Size:	388.6 KB 
ID:	1231638

Name:	IMG_0522.jpg 
Views:	51 
Size:	422.6 KB 
ID:	1231639

Name:	Screen Shot 2019-01-01 at 8.56.28 AM.jpg 
Views:	43 
Size:	287.9 KB 
ID:	1231640

Name:	Screen Shot 2019-01-01 at 8.56.55 AM.jpg 
Views:	41 
Size:	336.2 KB 
ID:	1231642
    I had one for ages. They are capable but so HEAVY

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

Nobody
    My kid's first car is the OG Volvo. Got it for $2k with 187k miles and a meticulous service history.

It's gonna hit 200k miles today!!!Attachment 1229832
    #winning That is an awesome rig, FC
    Hunt Hard, Kill Swiftly, Waste Nothing, Offer No Apologies...

Captain One Lung Administrator
    Scout II!

I'm getting mine very soon.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0509.jpg 
Views:	56 
Size:	388.6 KB 
ID:	1231638
    When I lived with my dad up in Oregon (6th - 7th grade) he drove a Scout or Scout II and then a Jeepster Commando like this. I thought they were janky AF at the time because we were dirt poor but now I realize how cool they actually were. His friends had Scouts and Land Cruisers and they would roam all over eastern Oregon hunting and fishing. I learned to drive in the Scout because he was too drunk to finish driving home after a day of fishing at Lake Owyhee. lol

1967 Jeepster Commando
    NorCal Rigs that Tacomas Envy-18.jpg

fc
    Quote Originally Posted by sbd View Post
    I had one for ages. They are capable but so HEAVY

I wonder why it's built like a tractor???
    IPA will save America

fc
    Quote Originally Posted by Shamis View Post
    #winning That is an awesome rig, FC
    Just hit 200,000 miles! My son left it with us this year so my wife drives it to work everyday. Sold our Subaru since this drives way better.NorCal Rigs that Tacomas Envy-img_1599.jpg
    IPA will save America

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Cornfield View Post
    That's a nice looking 4Runner! I was thinking of getting a 3rd Gen to complement my 1st Gen Taco, but I've been wondering about the 4th Gens, they look kinda dorky stock, but really sweet (like yours) after they're done up. I'd keep my Taco (2wd) and use it as a work truck and get a 4Runner to lift and make into a more capable ORV/vacation rig. Looks like you can find them for around 10-12K.
    Sorry for the lag - missed this. It's been amazing - has the V8 also, which none of the other generations do, and can actually accelerate up a hill. About 155k on the clock at present. Highly recommend, though they still sell for exactly what I purchased this for 8 years ago. Get a mall queen and introduce it to dirt!

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Thanks! Nice Taco!

Build out includes: OME suspension lift plus recently added a 1" body lift to gain some frame clearance and run 33's. Allpro upper control arms, SS brake lines, Shrockworks bumper, Budbuilt skids (though they have clearance issues with the exhaust cross-over pipe), Stubbs sliders, Baja rack, Gibson cat-back. Only other item I'd like is a rear bumper, to get the tire off the roof.

Quote Originally Posted by Truckee29 View Post
    I Love the look of the Pro Comp 7031 wheels. What lift goodies do I see in there?
    The 2Gen Taco's and 3Gen 4Runners use the same front coils and UCA's

Attachment 1230112
    Attachment 1230113

mtbr member
    I just replaced the OEM Michelin Energy Saver A/S on my Tahoe with Cooper AT3 4S. They handle so much better on road than the Michelins and mpg doesn't seem to be affected. Will be trying them in Tahoe soon in mud and snow.

Anybody want a set of Michelin Energy Saver A/S 265/65R18 with 1300 miles on them, they are for sale cheap.

mtbr member
    Sep 2015
    I just replaced the OEM Michelin Energy Saver A/S on my Tahoe with Cooper AT3 4S. They handle so much better on road than the Michelins and mpg doesn't seem to be affected. Will be trying them in Tahoe soon in mud and snow.

Anybody want a set of Michelin Energy Saver A/S 265/65R18 with 1300 miles on them, they are for sale cheap.
    nice choice!! Cooper makes a great tire. i think i want the AT version next.
    Santa Cruz 5010 C
    Surly Crosscheck.

mtbr member
    Sep 2015
    i'm pretty sure my next truck will be a half ton. my current tacoma is starting to make odd noises. it chirps from somewhere on wide sweeping right turns. not the brakes.

as far as nexties..i think i will drive the 3.5EB-F150 to the GMC dealership to test the new AT4 Sierra. just keep going back and forth until i see a clear winner.
    Santa Cruz 5010 C
    Surly Crosscheck.

Quote Originally Posted by Boomchakabowwow View Post
    nice choice!! Cooper makes a great tire. i think i want the AT version next.
    That is the AT. They make a P-metric (AT3 4S), a Light Truck (AT3 LT) and a rugged off-road Light Truck with aggressive sidewall armoring (AT3 XLT)

Quote Originally Posted by Boomchakabowwow View Post
    i'm pretty sure my next truck will be a half ton. my current tacoma is starting to make odd noises. it chirps from somewhere on wide sweeping right turns. not the brakes.

as far as nexties..i think i will drive the 3.5EB-F150 to the GMC dealership to test the new AT4 Sierra. just keep going back and forth until i see a clear winner.
    If you're not brand biased check out the Ram Rebel as well.

Life's a Garden, dig it!
    Quote Originally Posted by JCWages View Post
    When I lived with my dad up in Oregon (6th - 7th grade) he drove a Scout or Scout II and then a Jeepster Commando like this. I thought they were janky AF at the time because we were dirt poor but now I realize how cool they actually were. His friends had Scouts and Land Cruisers and they would roam all over eastern Oregon hunting and fishing. I learned to drive in the Scout because he was too drunk to finish driving home after a day of fishing at Lake Owyhee. lol

1967 Jeepster Commando

Name:	a-18.jpg 
Views:	39 
Size:	156.3 KB 
ID:	1232000
    They were janky for sure and dead simple. Love the old ones.

mtbr member
    The Ram Rebel is pretty bad ass. You can get it with a 33 gallon gas tank as well.

mtbr member
    That is the AT. They make a P-metric (AT3 4S), a Light Truck (AT3 LT) and a rugged off-road Light Truck with aggressive sidewall armoring (AT3 XLT)
    My Tahoe is still a mall crawler at the moment, but little by little getting it in shape. AT3 4S look good on it, would look better with a 2 inch lift/level.

NorCal Rigs that Tacomas Envy-img_0920.jpg

sbd
    mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    I wonder why it's built like a tractor???
    Sadly they are just heavy, not really that strong

Pipe Dreamer
    Quote Originally Posted by BraapTastic View Post
    Sorry for the lag - missed this. It's been amazing - has the V8 also, which none of the other generations do, and can actually accelerate up a hill. About 155k on the clock at present. Highly recommend, though they still sell for exactly what I purchased this for 8 years ago. Get a mall queen and introduce it to dirt!
    It'll be a while till I can get something else, most likely one of those. I was checking out the dash in one parked next to me at the store, when I turned to get into my truck I saw a guy staring at me, probably thought I was scoping it out, lol! They do look nice inside, would be a nice change, been in a 1st Gen Taco for 20 years!
    This space intentionally left blank. We apologise for any inconvenience.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    The Ram Rebel is pretty bad ass. You can get it with a 33 gallon gas tank as well.

the 36 gallon swimming-pool-of-a-gas-tank in my raptor does come in handy...it easily outpaces my bladder (the one that holds my pee).

Yes, the Rams are coming on strong. the car rags seem to agree that it's a really good truck.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by riderup View Post
    the 36 gallon swimming-pool-of-a-gas-tank in my raptor does come in handy...it easily outpaces my bladder (the one that holds my pee).

Yes, the Rams are coming on strong. the car rags seem to agree that it's a really good truck.
    Yes, I'll have $150 on pump 3 please!

Ride More - Suffer Less
    The TraxFactory mo-beel...2001 Sequoia...love this rig

NorCal Rigs that Tacomas Envy-img_20180804_104305586.jpg

If you ever see this rig at a trailhead, mention mtbr and ill stoke you on a Sweat Buster! my pleasure..

Quote Originally Posted by TraxFactory View Post
    The TraxFactory mo-beel...2001 Sequoia...love this rig

Name:	IMG_20180804_104305586.jpg 
Views:	88 
Size:	436.3 KB 
ID:	1232070

If you ever see this rig at a trailhead, mention mtbr and ill stoke you on a Sweat Buster! my pleasure..
    Love the styling of the first several years of the Sequoia. A nice size between the smaller 4ĖRunner and larger Landcruiser. With V8 power makes for a nice platform.

My Tahoe is still a mall crawler at the moment, but little by little getting it in shape. AT3 4S look good on it, would look better with a 2 inch lift/level.
    ]
    It's a damn nice mall crawler.

Ride More - Suffer Less
    Love the styling of the first several years of the Sequoia. A nice size between the smaller 4ĖRunner and larger Landcruiser. With V8 power makes for a nice platform.
    Yep, it got a little fugly in ~2008.
    You can usually find a better deal on a Sequoia compared to a Runner. It's basically a Tundra and the 4.7 gets same mpg as the runner 3.4, just as capable of seeing 300K+.

Sold my last runner with, 334k and the thing barely burned oil.

Ride More - Suffer Less
    Taptalk jackup - delete me

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    Yes, I'll have $150 on pump 3 please!
    most gas stations cut you off at $100...which is an absurd policy...but it is what it is.

On a roadtrip this summer (out to grand teton / yellowstone / glacier / banff / jasper / kootenai / etc) I managed to go just over 700 miles on a tank...which was pretty crazy. It was a leg with a lot of descending ;-)

mtbr member
    Tested on steep wet Page Mill today. Traction control off 2WD on wet 20% section got no wheel spin with heavy acceleration and no skidding on heavy braking. Unlike many AT tires, these tires seem to not sacrifice wet traction.

Tested on steep wet Page Mill today. Traction control off 2WD on wet 20% section got no wheel spin with heavy acceleration and no skidding on heavy braking. Unlike many AT tires, these tires seem to not sacrifice wet traction.
    Awesome! Good to hear.

fc
    built like a tractor

NorCal Rigs that Tacomas Envy-49855642_1410688105733307_2831585124078845952_o.jpg
    IPA will save America

mtbr member
    If you really want something that's built like a tractor, indestructible, easy to work on, will turn heads, and go nearly anywhere: Unimog. Interesting community of people who own these, anyone on here have one?

NorCal Rigs that Tacomas Envy-unimog-1600x1205.jpg

fc
    If you really want something that's built like a tractor, indestructible, easy to work on, will turn heads, and go nearly anywhere: Unimog. Interesting community of people who own these, anyone on here have one?
    Those have portal axles, the ultimate offroad unfair advantage.

NorCal Rigs that Tacomas Envy-screen-shot-2019-01-06-9.47.41-am.jpg

Game OVER!
    IPA will save America

mtbr member
    Those have portal axles, the ultimate offroad unfair advantage.

Name:	Screen Shot 2019-01-06 at 9.47.41 AM.jpg 
Views:	61 
Size:	128.3 KB 
ID:	1232218

Game OVER!
    Also have extremely low center of gravity and short/narrow wheelbase. One of my friends has one, it is insane what it can do. I believe Unimog is the only production vehicle made with a flexible frame by design?

Also have extremely low center of gravity and short/narrow wheelbase. One of my friends has one, it is insane what it can do. I believe Unimog is the only production vehicle made with a flexible frame by design
    As well as Ellsworth.

fc
    As well as Ellsworth.
    you so awesome!!!
    IPA will save America

Ride More - Suffer Less
    Also have extremely low center of gravity and short/narrow wheelbase. One of my friends has one, it is insane what it can do. I believe Unimog is the only production vehicle made with a flexible frame by design?

My buddy has a mid 60's unimog radio vehicle... Thing is bad ass go anywhere... And yes portals with mechanically engaged lockers...ahhh all this makes me miss my CJ7...dang

mtbr member
    I love those Unimog videos, most of which have 5 drunk dudes in Russia riding in the bed in crazy terrain.

There's a few bad ass LMTV's for sale on craigslist right now. No more toys for me for awhile, however. Unless someone has a garage I can store it in and not tell my wife!

mtbr member
    Mudflaps!

NorCal Rigs that Tacomas Envy-img_0954.jpg

NorCal Rigs that Tacomas Envy-img_0956.jpg

NorCal Rigs that Tacomas Envy-img_0957.jpg

This widowmaker has been blocking vehicle access on this side of the Preserve for 3yrs. I finally had enough certified help today that it was time to remove it. I used my Motomoric 30'x3" recovery strap and D shackle hitch receiver. The road was steep, wet and muddy so I was trying to keep from tearing up the road. 4Wh Lo and steady throttle application made it all work despite the back end rising up as I pulled.

fc
    This widowmaker has been blocking vehicle access on this side of the Preserve for 3yrs. I finally had enough certified help today that it was time to remove it. I used my Motomoric 30'x3" recovery strap and D shackle hitch receiver. The road was steep, wet and muddy so I was trying to keep from tearing up the road. 4Wh Lo and steady throttle application made it all work despite the back end rising up as I pulled.

Pure gold! All work related too
    IPA will save America

I carry the recovery kit in the truck during winter months in case I need to pull someone out of a ditch but it worked pretty well here.

Basic Recovery Kit (disregard the Smittybilt compressor)
    NorCal Rigs that Tacomas Envy-o4fbclp.jpg

When I bought the kit it was $65
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I was waiting for something to break free and the strap to come flying back smashing into the truck. Like so many other entertaining YouTube videos.

So disappoint JC.

mtbr member
    I was waiting for something to break free and the strap to come flying back smashing into the truck. Like so many other entertaining YouTube videos.

So disappoint JC.
    These guys failed geometry class.

OMG - thatís some funny stuff. They need a shorter rope. So many standing around and not one of them saw that.

mtbr member
    Sep 2015
    thanks..i like the Rebel..the Rebels front grill? not so much.
    Santa Cruz 5010 C
    Surly Crosscheck.

These guys failed geometry class.

]
    LOL that's crazy. I didn't even have to watch the video to know where it was headed.

LOL that's crazy. I didn't even have to watch the video to know where it was headed.
    Yep, I was LMAO before clicking on it. After clicking I just shook my head.

mtbr member
    Jan 2019
    I believe that incident goes a bit beyond merely failing a geometry class....
    It could have qualified for a strong entry in the years' Darwin Award had the driver died.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Radium View Post
    I believe that incident goes a bit beyond merely failing a geometry class....
    It could have qualified for a strong entry in the years' Darwin Award had the driver died.
    Knuckleheads!

Knuckleheads!
    Itís a keeper. Iíll be sending that via email to friends and family.

sbd
    mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    I used to wheel a lot in the 90s. First rig was a Scout. It was nice. Built it up over a number of years. Then I sold it and built this LWB Samurai.

Don't miss the Scout. Miss this rig frequently...

Quote Originally Posted by sbd View Post
    I used to wheel a lot in the 90s. First rig was a Scout. It was nice. Built it up over a number of years. Then I sold it and built this LWB Samurai.

Don't miss the Scout. Miss this rig frequently...

Yep, the Samurais have a huge following in the 4x4 crowd. Small with a short wheelbase, even smaller and shorter than a CJ Jeep. Many serious Jeep guys went the way of a customized Samurai.

A buddy of mine owned a shop in San Diego where he only worked on Toyota trucks. After a 20 year stint he sold the shop. He had access to every customized thing for the Toyotaís and always had a tricked out 4x4 Toy Truck in his possession. I didnít talk to him for several years after he sold the shop but come to find out he went the way of the Samurai. He swears itís the funnest 4x4 heís ever owned or wheeled. And he said heís gone where Jeeps have failed. But his is the tiny Samurai.

sbd
    mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    My wheelbase was actually pretty long, about 108 inches. That made room for a Toyota trans and two tcases stacked.

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    Yep, the Samurais have a huge following in the 4x4 crowd. Small with a short wheelbase, even smaller and shorter than a CJ Jeep. Many serious Jeep guys went the way of a customized Samurai.

A buddy of mine owned a shop in San Diego where he only worked on Toyota trucks. After a 20 year stint he sold the shop. He had access to every customized thing for the Toyotaís and always had a tricked out 4x4 Toy Truck in his possession. I didnít talk to him for several years after he sold the shop but come to find out he went the way of the Samurai. He swears itís the funnest 4x4 heís ever owned or wheeled. And he said heís gone where Jeeps have failed. But his is the tiny Samurai.
    I've had two Samurais over the years... fantastic little wheelers. I pulled many other vehicles out, Jeeps, Broncos, you name it. Their greatest strength is also their greatest weakness - they are so small. They can't carry enough gear to do anything fun with other than just drive around, which is fun if that's what you are looking for, but for anything else is a bit of a PITA. Perfect beach rig though, convertible, floats on top of any sand you want, and fun to drive around town. I will try to find a picture of my last one - was lifted via Old Man Emu spring over kit, on 33/12.50 BFG Mud Terrain tires, with a super low 6.5/1 xfer case and ARB air locker front and rear. It would go anywhere, effortlessly.

sbd
    mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by SpeedyStein View Post
    I've had two Samurais over the years... fantastic little wheelers. I pulled many other vehicles out, Jeeps, Broncos, you name it. Their greatest strength is also their greatest weakness - they are so small. They can't carry enough gear to do anything fun with other than just drive around, which is fun if that's what you are looking for, but for anything else is a bit of a PITA. Perfect beach rig though, convertible, floats on top of any sand you want, and fun to drive around town. I will try to find a picture of my last one - was lifted via Old Man Emu spring over kit, on 33/12.50 BFG Mud Terrain tires, with a super low 6.5/1 xfer case and ARB air locker front and rear. It would go anywhere, effortlessly.
    Yep

mtbr member
    Took my old beater QX4 into the shop to get a 2" lift, new springs/struts, brakes, and bigger tires with spacers. I thought about getting rid of it, but decided to keep it and drive it as it only has 130k on it. It's a car I only use for MTB and surfing, and I don't care if it gets beat up etc. Will probably do a little off road with it once back. The R50 Pathfinder platform is a pretty good 4x4.

Going for something like this:

NorCal Rigs that Tacomas Envy-p1000666_2.jpg

Life's a Garden, dig it!
    Good call on the QX.

I find myself fixated on FJ40s again. I've had two and have the bug again. I think it's time to begin the serious search.

mtbr member
    Good call on the QX.

I find myself fixated on FJ40s again. I've had two and have the bug again. I think it's time to begin the serious search.
    Yeah buddy! Better do it quick. They are not getting cheaper.

Life's a Garden, dig it!
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottParsley View Post
    Yeah buddy! Better do it quick. They are not getting cheaper.
    Man, you got that right. I'm going back and forth between complete (need very little) vehicles and minor projects. I have an extra FJ motor (or will have in a couple of weeks), so I'm open to options. I prefer stock, but the right small block swapped rig would be considered.

mtbr member
    Jun 2018
    I've been wanting something like that, or a 4Runner so I got a bit excited. After looking at them real quick; initial cost is cheap ~5-6K, but 12-14mpg is a deal breaker. Maybe they're really good off road?
    Our 2013 4runner gets about 13-15 city, 20-22 highway. Not much better, and The cruiser is bigger and better offroad. The 4r is much nicer for trips and such.

mtbr member
    This is a pretty cool website that tracks real world data on MPG.

Browse All Cars | Fuelly

fc
    Ready for spring
    IPA will save America

Formerly of Kent
    Ready for spring
    After poorly/improperly/not broken-in hiking boots, the #2 item returned to our local REI. Followed by sleeping pads at #3.

In full-size form, that is.
    Death from Below.

mtbr member
    Took my old beater QX4 into the shop to get a 2" lift, new springs/struts, brakes, and bigger tires with spacers. I thought about getting rid of it, but decided to keep it and drive it as it only has 130k on it. It's a car I only use for MTB and surfing, and I don't care if it gets beat up etc. Will probably do a little off road with it once back. The R50 Pathfinder platform is a pretty good 4x4.

Going for something like this:

Name:	P1000666_2.jpg 
Views:	59 
Size:	117.3 KB 
ID:	1233672
    130K is low miles on that truck. I think Pathfinders are the most underrated SUVs in that era (can't say anything about the new ones). I love mine... it looks good inside and out.. and definitely more luxurious than the WD21 that it replaced. I actually got lift springs from an NPORA friend so I will end up getting a lift anyway.

5Kbike... how much is the shop charging you for suspension install?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ron m. View Post
    130K is low miles on that truck. I think Pathfinders are the most underrated SUVs in that era (can't say anything about the new ones). I love mine... it looks good inside and out.. and definitely more luxurious than the WD21 that it replaced. I actually got lift springs from an NPORA friend so I will end up getting a lift anyway.

5Kbike... how much is the shop charging you for suspension install?
    Looks like new struts, shocks, springs, 2inch spacers are about $1200 installed. The rear coil springs are a rip off for that year model, $300 each!

I didnít want to get too close as it was on private property but I do believe this is a 1940íish Dodge military issue that proceeded the Dodge Power Wagon. Correct me if Iím wrong but thatís what I see. All I know is King Kong would have felt very comfortable in it.

NorCal Rigs that Tacomas Envy-645d0d92-feea-4a3c-b64a-361dc0eeef16.jpg

mtbr member
    I didnít want to get too close as it was on private property but I do believe this is a 1940íish Dodge military issue that proceeded the Dodge Power Wagon. Correct me if Iím wrong but thatís what I see. All I know is King Kong would have felt very comfortable in it.

Name:	645D0D92-FEEA-4A3C-B64A-361DC0EEEF16.jpg 
Views:	53 
Size:	281.6 KB 
ID:	1233988
    Kinda looks like a Kaiser Jeep Military Truck?

Life's a Garden, dig it!
    While the design was very likely Dodge, as with lots of things produced during the 2nd World war, multiple vendors were contracted to produce the vehicle in order to supply the quantities needed for the war effort.

I saw this on Overland Bound last night. Some cool history here and since it started off in NorCal (Georgetown)......

https://www.overlandbound.com/expedi...6-stock-jeeps/

And LOL at his comment that even back then Goodyear tires had weak sidewalls.

mtbr member
    Jan 2019
    NorCal Rigs that Tacomas Envy-2832ca25-e21f-4228-8512-4a7dae55a076.jpg

Land Rover with big Nitto rubber so itís not mistaken for carting around kids to soccer

mtbr member
    Good call on the QX.

Saw this one at the trailhead a couple weeks ago.

NorCal Rigs that Tacomas Envy-img_0866.jpg

May contain nuts
    Thatís one tidy FJ40. It would Be worth a pretty penny...

Life's a Garden, dig it!

Name:	IMG_0866.jpg 
Views:	50 
Size:	423.2 KB 
ID:	1234049
    That is clean! I'm going to look at a few next week. Some are restored, some are projects. One will end up in my driveway before too long.

Poison Oak Finder
    Do I win for best gas mileage?

Here's how I transported bikes up until last week when I broke down and got a hitch rack (tired of climbing up and down before and after each ride!):

19 Orange Stage 4
    09 Scott Spark 30
    98 Klein Mantra Race
    91 Bridgestone MB-3

mtbr member

Name:	IMG_0866.jpg 
Views:	50 
Size:	423.2 KB 
ID:	1234049
    Holy Smokes! That Cruiser is the tits. Looks like a late 60's with a well done full restoration.

mtbr member
    Holy Smokes! That Cruiser is the tits. Looks like a late 60's with a well done full restoration.
    Every inch of this thing was pristine. Even the emblems, headlight surrounds and all the glass/gaskets looked new.

mtbr member
    This outfit https://www.fj.co/ourwork does "nut and bolt" restorations and resto-mods. They are leading in this market imo. $70k+ though. But just outstanding and accurate work.

mtbr member
    Here's another FJ builder. https://www.icon4x4.com/fj#

mtbr member
    if budget wasn't an issue, wouldn't mind having one of these-

https://www.legacyclassictrucks.com/...onversion.html

Every inch of this thing was pristine. Even the emblems, headlight surrounds and all the glass/gaskets looked new.
    Iím having an emotional jealousy breakdown over it. Love that original color combo to top it off. I saw a nice old 1960íish Range Rover the other day but couldnít get a photo of it. Unrestored original in every way. Even the slight surface rust on the original off white paint.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by jaycagney View Post
    if budget wasn't an issue, wouldn't mind having one of these-

https://www.legacyclassictrucks.com/...onversion.html
    So sick and so horridly overpriced! There's a sweet backwoods monster power wagon suv above felton, not sure if y'all have seen it driving around.

Quote Originally Posted by BraapTastic View Post
    So sick and so horridly overpriced! There's a sweet backwoods monster power wagon suv above felton, not sure if y'all have seen it driving around.
    I grabbed this photo from that link. Back in the 1980ís a guy in my area had this exact Power Wagon dressed in white. It had skinny tractor tires that had to be 80Ē tall and a huge lift. A swapped in mopar 440 with a Six Pack setup out of an old Roadrunner. A beast of a truck fully done to the 9ís. I wish I had taken photos of it. I recently searched the net looking for the same truck in hopes someone posted photos of it but failed.

NorCal Rigs that Tacomas Envy-02fc8402-c208-45cf-96f9-a3c2950c6106.jpg

mtbr member
    Here's another FJ builder. https://www.icon4x4.com/fj#
    Yeah, ICON has been around for a while. Not much Toyota left on those. Do they even use metric fasteners?

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    The one near felton is the Carry All body style, like below, but rolling on ~44" swampers and I think has a few skulls on the outside. Like, real ones. It's a true monster. LOVE LOVE the styling of those trucks!!!

NorCal Rigs that Tacomas Envy-img_7474.jpg

mtbr member
    Yeah, ICON has been around for a while. Not much Toyota left on those. Do they even use metric fasteners?
    I don't much about them, other than seeing them around Palo Alto a few times. Quite pricey.

mtbr member
    Then there's this......

NorCal Rigs that Tacomas Envy-img_2983.jpg

NorCal Rigs that Tacomas Envy-img_2984.jpg

Meatbomb
    I grabbed this photo from that link. Back in the 1980ís a guy in my area had this exact Power Wagon dressed in white. It had skinny tractor tires that had to be 80Ē tall and a huge lift. A swapped in mopar 440 with a Six Pack setup out of an old Roadrunner. A beast of a truck fully done to the 9ís. I wish I had taken photos of it. I recently searched the net looking for the same truck in hopes someone posted photos of it but failed.

Name:	02FC8402-C208-45CF-96F9-A3C2950C6106.jpg 
Views:	55 
Size:	328.1 KB 
ID:	1234118
    DJ, I'm heading to a company party tonight and the owner has a massive collection. If I remember right from last year he has a built cherry Power Wagon... I'll try to get a picture.....

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Phillbo View Post
    DJ, I'm heading to a company party tonight and the owner has a massive collection. If I remember right from last year he has a built cherry Power Wagon... I'll try to get a picture.....
    Picture? Get the keys!

Life's a Garden, dig it!
    Then there's this......

Name:	IMG_2983.jpg 
Views:	45 
Size:	366.6 KB 
ID:	1234121

Name:	IMG_2984.jpg 
Views:	43 
Size:	263.0 KB 
ID:	1234122
    '58 is great!

'58 is great!
    Yes it is, and one canít forget about the one year only rear end. With the trunk chrome spears. The louvered hood also.

For reference:

NorCal Rigs that Tacomas Envy-92ac009d-2c6e-4819-a5b4-ca6ba28b2591.jpeg

Life's a Garden, dig it!
    On the '58 'vette, the hood vents were intended to be functional. The dies for the '58 hood were cast already, but when Bill Mitchell was on a test ride at the GM proving grounds, an oil pressure gauge line came off under the hood. The vents allowed oil to spray all over the windshield. Mitchell ordered the body finishers NOT to open up the vents. The dies for '59 hoods were made smooth.

Car guys and the press of the day roasted Chevrolet for the fake vents, but there at least was a reason for it. Not like 70's and 80's cars.

On the '58 'vette, the hood vents were intended to be functional. The dies for the '58 hood were cast already, but when Bill Mitchell was on a test ride at the GM proving grounds, an oil pressure gauge line came off under the hood. The vents allowed oil to spray all over the windshield. Mitchell ordered the body finishers NOT to open up the vents. The dies for '59 hoods were made smooth.

Car guys and the press of the day roasted Chevrolet for the fake vents, but there at least was a reason for it. Not like 70's and 80's cars.
    Love that kind of trivia and I didnít know that. I do know the non functional vents have been talked about in auctions like Barrett Jackson. Iím amazed I never heard any of the commentators mention those facts.

Chuck, coincidentally I was just watching Barrett Jackson and a 1963 Spilt Window custom Vette just went across the block. The hood vents as you know on a stock 63 were non functional. This one had a twin turbo motor and the hood vents were custom made and functional, feeding the turbos on both sides. Pretty wild stuff. Iím not a fan of custom vettes but this one was done right.

https://www.barrett-jackson.com/Even...W-COUPE-225119

NorCal Rigs that Tacomas Envy-ec52437e-3b57-409f-abcb-11a670956b79.jpg

NorCal Rigs that Tacomas Envy-92021730-31dc-4ab8-971c-81b8ec0d9f28.jpg

NorCal Rigs that Tacomas Envy-16bc0567-c3d7-4525-ae5c-326e0f14f531.jpg

NorCal Rigs that Tacomas Envy-421731ef-a941-441f-9c82-d5402537c4cc.jpg

NorCal Rigs that Tacomas Envy-add1a5ef-8b9b-45f4-8f75-e95a35b06604.jpg

NorCal Rigs that Tacomas Envy-29446725-394c-432c-98cd-fd647b1958fc.jpg

Pipe Dreamer

Aussie Rigs that Tacomas Envy

Life's a Garden, dig it!
    Chuck, coincidentally I was just watching Barrett Jackson and a 1963 Spilt Window custom Vette just went across the block. The hood vents as you know on a stock 63 were non functional. This one had a twin turbo motor and the hood vents were custom made and functional, feeding the turbos on both sides. Pretty wild stuff. Iím not a fan of custom vettes but this one was done right.

https://www.barrett-jackson.com/Even...W-COUPE-225119

Name:	EC52437E-3B57-409F-ABCB-11A670956B79.jpg 
Views:	44 
Size:	245.6 KB 
ID:	1234245

Name:	92021730-31DC-4AB8-971C-81B8EC0D9F28.jpg 
Size:	203.2 KB 
ID:	1234246

Name:	16BC0567-C3D7-4525-AE5C-326E0F14F531.jpg 
Views:	34 
Size:	240.7 KB 
ID:	1234247

Name:	421731EF-A941-441F-9C82-D5402537C4CC.jpg 
Size:	156.5 KB 
ID:	1234248

Name:	ADD1A5EF-8B9B-45F4-8F75-E95A35B06604.jpg 
Views:	38 
Size:	169.5 KB 
ID:	1234249

Name:	29446725-394C-432C-98CD-FD647B1958FC.jpg 
Views:	31 
Size:	170.6 KB 
ID:	1234250
    Bad ass!

Life's a Garden, dig it!
    I accidentally posted this in the Taco Envy thread. Since I can't erase it, I'll just copy to a more appropriate thread:

Way back when I was in the market for a new SUV, I was torn between the Tahoe and the 'Burb. A pickup wasn't in the offing, because I liked the enclosed body for security. For me, there wasn't enough (any?) difference in the fuel mileage between the two, so I opted for the additional space that the Suburban offered. When I found my 2500 (3/4 ton) 'burb, I actually worked the dealer down because I was really wanting a 1/2 ton. I was just sure I would never have a need for the extra towing/carrying capacity. Was I ever wrong! The best thing I did was get the 2500 series.

Not only do I tow with it regularly, everything in it is upgraded. The axles, the suspension, the brakes, the transmission, are all heavier duty than the 1/2 ton equivalent. With nearly 180000 miles on it, I just changed the brake pads for the first time, in November. I'm still on the factory shocks, bushings, ball joints, CV joints, hubs... My friends with 1/2 tons had all that stuff changed out before they hit 120K miles.

My wife keeps telling me it's time to look for a new one. They don't make the 3/4 ton any more, so I'm really not interested. I'll probably drive this one into the dirt.

fc
    Diesel Hilux is cool.
    IPA will save America

Chuck, I agree why buy a newer one when they donít offer the heavy duty 3/4 ton anymore. Sounds lkie the ideal setup for your needs, keep on driving it.

FC, have you checked out the new diesel Chevy Colorado? Pretty sweet rig if you ask me.

mtbr member
    I accidentally posted this in the Taco Envy thread. Since I can't erase it, I'll just copy to a more appropriate thread:

Way back when I was in the market for a new SUV, I was torn between the Tahoe and the 'Burb. A pickup wasn't in the offing, because I liked the enclosed body for security. For me, there wasn't enough (any?) difference in the fuel mileage between the two, so I opted for the additional space that the Suburban offered. When I found my 2500 (3/4 ton) 'burb, I actually worked the dealer down because I was really wanting a 1/2 ton. I was just sure I would never have a need for the extra towing/carrying capacity. Was I ever wrong! The best thing I did was get the 2500 series.

Not only do I tow with it regularly, everything in it is upgraded. The axles, the suspension, the brakes, the transmission, are all heavier duty than the 1/2 ton equivalent. With nearly 180000 miles on it, I just changed the brake pads for the first time, in November. I'm still on the factory shocks, bushings, ball joints, CV joints, hubs... My friends with 1/2 tons had all that stuff changed out before they hit 120K miles.

My wife keeps telling me it's time to look for a new one. They don't make the 3/4 ton any more, so I'm really not interested. I'll probably drive this one into the dirt.
    That truck is like an airplane, if you can keep the maintenance and replacement schedule up, it should have a near infinite lifespan.
    Last edited by 5k bike 50cent legs; 01-24-2019 at 09:21 AM.

Bad ass!
    Very cool setup on that Vette, although I question those vents in a rain event. Back in 1983 a friend of mine bought a brand new Trans Am Turbo. The first year of the body redesign. The turbo hood had a flap door. I went with him out to a nightclub the first night he had it. We had a torrential downpour that night. We came out and it wouldnít turn over. We had to have a tow truck come pick up his new ride. Turned out water went down the intake and the motor hydro locked because the hood scoop flap door didnít seal good. Pontiac replaced the motor and I think they had a recall on the turbo hood intake design. Pretty sure they made the flap non functional after that.

This is the hood design Iím referring to.

NorCal Rigs that Tacomas Envy-716ab461-9913-4cd5-804c-82c7f777d327.jpeg

And now back to vehicles thatís Tacos are envious of. Because it sure isnít this one.
    Last edited by DIRTJUNKIE; 01-23-2019 at 01:31 PM.

mtbr member

Land Cruiser 70 series.

Unfortunately not "NorCal" or even North America but DEFINITELY the rig that Tacomas envy.
    NorCal Rigs that Tacomas Envy-toyota-land-cruiser-70-1.jpg

Unfortunately not "NorCal" or even North America but DEFINITELY the rig that Tacomas envy.

Name:	Toyota-Land-Cruiser-70-1.jpg 
Size:	458.8 KB 
ID:	1234922
    I just had a sit down discussion with my Tacoma. I pushed and prodded to get a confession of what other vehicles she was envious of. As this photo crossed the dashboard she stuck her hood up at it and snarled with her grill. It wasnít exactly the most comfortable discussion Iíve had with her but from her expression, I walked away thinking this is not one of them.

Life's a Garden, dig it!
    I just had a sit down discussion with my Tacoma. I pushed and prodded to get a confession of what other vehicles she was envious of. As this photo crossed the dashboard she stuck her hood up at it and snarled with her grill. It wasnít exactly the most comfortable discussion Iíve had with her but from her expression, I walked away thinking this is not one of them.
    On the contrary, I believe what you witnessed was the jealousy only experienced by siblings.

On the contrary, I believe what you witnessed was the jealousy only experienced by siblings.
    Not putting one down while building the other up was the challenge.

Pipe Dreamer
    https://cityperformancecentre.com/po...ser-70-series/

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    I have a Taco now, but I had an 80 Series Land Cruiser for about 12 years before they were popular with off-roaders here. Hauling four bikes in 2006 or so:
    NorCal Rigs that Tacomas Envy-4c86adc3-620a-4095-bccc-4ea0d3d1fda7.jpg
    And on the Rubicon in 1998, no bikes:
    NorCal Rigs that Tacomas Envy-4f7c3b18-0451-4752-a828-3a7d23f793fc.jpg
    In some ways I miss it, but the Taco is faster, quieter, and uses almost 1/2 as much gas. I sold it to a guy in Pacifica and I actually saw it up on 280 a few years ago ... heavily modded.

Life's a Garden, dig it!
    Not putting one down while building the other up was the challenge.
    You said a mouthful!

jrm
    mtbr member

My Mall Cruiser

06' 4runner. 2/1" 6112/5160/OME/SPC UCA suspension. Pretty basic.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails NorCal Rigs that Tacomas Envy-2012-fj-tt-wheels-1.jpg  

Life's a Garden, dig it!
    Aw Jeez! I found the FJ honey hole over the weekend. I'm so screwed.

mtbr member
    Aw Jeez! I found the FJ honey hole over the weekend. I'm so screwed.
    Is you wallet a bit lighter?!

Life's a Garden, dig it!
    Is you wallet a bit lighter?!
    Not yet, but it's going to happen before then end of Spring, I'm thinkin.

I can't share much out of respect for the guy's privacy, but Holy Shmolians!

Numerous restored FJ40s, 45 pickups, 45 wagons, a 60 here or there, Project rigs, parts rigs, an engine pile, transmissions, x-fer cases, tops, glass, you name it...

Not yet, but it's going to happen before then end of Spring, I'm thinkin.

I can't share much out of respect for the guy's privacy, but Holy Shmolians!

Numerous restored FJ40s, 45 pickups, 45 wagons, a 60 here or there, Project rigs, parts rigs, an engine pile, transmissions, x-fer cases, tops, glass, you name it...
    The suspense is killing me.

mtbr member
    The suspense is killing me.
    Yeah! Way to tease and keep us in the dark Chuck!

I couldn't ride yesterday so I went for a snowy adventure with a Jeep and a Ram 2500 and learned some things.

1. Big heavy trucks are terrible in snow
    2. Always carry proper recovery gear
    3. Buy a quality air compressor with a 20min+ run time
    4. The Falken Wildpeak A/T3W and my truck are pretty capable in snow
    5. Airing down the tires is a VERY good idea, especially for heavy rigs

Northern California is getting hit with a little storm that is dumping a bunch of snow in the Sierra Nevada. That means it's snow wheeling time! My buddy (Nathan Barton) sent me a text at 7am yesterday asking if I was going wheeling. He recently picked up a nice Jeep Wrangler and has been itching to go out with me. So of course I dropped everything I was doing (house remodeling stuff), loaded up the truck and headed out in search of adventure.

The first stop was Tractor Supply in Auburn for some sand bags. Last time I was in the snow I had some traction issues on inclines with the heavy wet snow. I figured some weight in the rear would be helpful. 300lbs of sand should be good. :grin2: I bought 2 extra bags for the work truck. But I like how much better it rides I'm going to leave 200lbs in the bed for while.
    NorCal Rigs that Tacomas Envy-lctwe2w.jpg

I met up with Nathan at Worton's Market. Nathan along a friend with a huge Ram 2500 diesel with a 3" lift and 37" mud tires. But I'm not intimidated by these guys.... Nope. lol We planned to head up Foresthill Road and see how far we could get. It didn't take long before we found snow. Unfortunately it was a really wet rainy sleety type snow. That is fine from a traction standpoint but it sucks getting out of the rigs and getting drenched.
    NorCal Rigs that Tacomas Envy-4zdrbes.jpg
    NorCal Rigs that Tacomas Envy-wbstjzi.jpg

We let the Ram lead since he lives in the area and knew where we were going. It didn't take long before our progress was halted. Turns out the Ram is so heavy that it keeps sinking the front end in the snow and getting stuck. They tried shoveling snow from around the tires considering the snow was only 1.5' - 2' deep at most. That didn't work. Nathan then used his Jeep to try and tug the Ram free but that didn't work either and was starting to look unsafe so I grabbed the Maxsa traction boards. Originally we placed them behind the tires but didn't get the front edges under enough tire tread to grab. We repositioned them and viola, instant success. I was happy to see that despite 30F temps and that heavy truck the boards didn't crack or melt when he spun the tires on them.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yQ7J...ature=youtu.be

After that the Ram backed down the hill and tried to park but promptly got stuck again. Nathan and I continued up the hill without even a hint of slippage. At the top we parked and Nathan walked back down the hill to check on the Ram and see if he wanted to leave it parked and ride with us. I waited up top with Ellie where I threw sticks for her to fetch in the deep snow drifts and took glam shots of my truck.
    NorCal Rigs that Tacomas Envy-afuxdc2.jpg
    NorCal Rigs that Tacomas Envy-yrw1cwv.jpg
    NorCal Rigs that Tacomas Envy-dlsrtsm.jpg

Still waiting....
    NorCal Rigs that Tacomas Envy-nynd7h9.jpg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VAQw...ature=youtu.be

After awhile I went down to check on the group and they were trying to air down the massive tires on the Ram but nobody had a pressure gauge down here. lol So we all took pieces of broken twigs to depress the tire valves and release air while we tried to visually judge what 20psi would look like in a 37" E-metric mud terrain.... We air them down until we can see a decent sidewall bulge then head back up the hill towards the other rigs and the Ram slowly creeps up the hill that had thwarted his progress multiple times when his tires were at regular street pressure. Once he was up with the other rigs we used my pressure gauge to set his tires at 23psi. We had gotten them to around 28psi+- using the twigs. They had some serious bulge at 23psi and without beadlocks we didn't want to risk blowing a bead. I don't have experience with such heavy trucks and he usually drives it in sand. 37s, powerful diesel and massive King shocks must be a blast!

Nathan leading us now with me behind and the Ram behind me. As we climbed the snow got a little deeper and tracks from earlier traffic were disappearing. Still, no trouble with traction. It became a game to see who could get out of the deep ruts and stay out of them the longest.
    NorCal Rigs that Tacomas Envy-knts6ge.jpg

After a few more miles we reach a peak and the tracks ran out and the trail headed downhill and curved to the left. Both trucks stopped at the top and the Jeep proceeded forward to scout it out a bit so we wouldn't risk all of us getting stuck. Up to this point the Canyon and Jeep had zero issues. We just floated on top of the snow but the Ram and gotten fully stuck twice and semi-stuck more than a few times. With the storm just getting started we knew that everything we had already been through would only be getting worse on the return trip.
    NorCal Rigs that Tacomas Envy-fwy5f0i.jpg
    NorCal Rigs that Tacomas Envy-h5bbgit.jpg

The Jeep made it just around the corner before getting stuck.
    NorCal Rigs that Tacomas Envy-jsd5srb.jpg

I stood around for a bit to see if he could get unstuck by himself while his dad and dad's friend went down to help/watch. So I took more photos.

NorCal Rigs that Tacomas Envy-jfkdwoe.jpg
    NorCal Rigs that Tacomas Envy-taz5s0c.jpg

After a bit it looked like he was definitely stuck and the Maxsa boards were up here in the bed of the Ram. Here was my chance to rescue a Jeep! I proceeded to do a 20 point turn between the ruts while avoiding hitting the Ram. It's amazing how hard it is to get out of deep ruts without momentum. I finally got turned around and started to back down the hill so I could tug the Jeep free. As I pulled into view of the Jeep I noticed Nathan was methodically but frantically trying to back the Jeep up the hill. He kept sliding into the little ditch on the left side of the road but he was always able to extract himself with a little back and forth "rocking" and some steering wheel input. I stopped my truck and watched him slip and slide around the trail going this way and that and almost doing circles while making his way back to the top. It was comical to say the least. Short wheelbase vehicles are so much fun. LOL Unfortunately I didn't get any photos or videos of the action.

We decided it was safer to call it here and turn around. There were plenty of side trails back down the mountain where we could explore with less risk of getting stuck on the wrong side of the mountain. I figured since we couldn't really plow fresh snow and look Instagram cool we could at least ram the ruts and have some fun.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ADWo...ature=youtu.be

One the way back down the hill we took a side trail and found a little puddle to play in. I had seen an "overland outfitted" Tacoma run through it a few minutes before and from my angle it looked a lot deeper than it turned out to be. It was still fin trying to drench my cell phone though. The phone survived (it's waterproof) but the sound got kinda funky after the first pass and I had to let it dry by the heater vents before I could plug it back in to charge.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WXsv...ature=youtu.be

NorCal Rigs that Tacomas Envy-hqgbxvg.jpg

We lefts the rigs in 2wd and had a bit of fun. Again, I was pleasantly surprised at how well the Wildpeaks did in the muddy snowy slushy muck. Especially in 2wd. It was actually kinda hard to break the tires loose and get sideways without putting the pedal to the floor. All traction nannies were turned off.

NorCal Rigs that Tacomas Envy-r0yk26a.jpg
    NorCal Rigs that Tacomas Envy-pirpqie.jpg

We started back down the main paved road towards Michigan Bluff/Foresthill but it was raining pretty hard and no one wanted to pull over and air up the tires in that so we drove for a bit keeping max speed around 45mph. I was keeping an eye on my tire pressure on the dash display to watch for evidence of the tires heating up. After 5 miles or so I observed a 2psi gain and that was enough for me to call it. I figure if my tiny 33" tires are heating up then the 35s on the Jeep and the 37s on the Ram are probably worse off. We found a spot to pull over and the rain let up slightly. I pulled out my little Smittybilt 2.54CFM compressor and Nathan produced a little cigarette lighter powered compressor. Everyone came over to check out my setup and we discussed the merits of a decent compressor vs. the cheap units from Walmart and scuba tanks pre-pressurized. I mentioned the importance of run time when considering a compressor. On average it takes about 2min to air up a 33" tire from 20psi to 35psi. So times 4 that's umm 8 minutes. My compressor has a continuous duty run time for about 40min at 40psi and 75F temps. That is more than sufficient for my personal needs. But if you are airing up multiple rigs and temps are in the high 90s or higher than you can start to run into trouble and will overheat the compressor. As if to make my point for me. When Nathan unplugged his little compressor to air up the remaining 2 tires the compressor quit on him and wouldn't turn back on. So we used my compressor to air up his remaining tires and get the Ram aired up to a decent street pressure of 35psi. I didn't take photos of the airing up process but this was pretty cool! The heater system in the Jeep had stopped working and while airing up we noticed his return lines? were completely white with frost. It looked pretty neat.

NorCal Rigs that Tacomas Envy-p17gz3z.jpg
    NorCal Rigs that Tacomas Envy-lhmysdt.jpg

From this point we parted ways. It was a good day.

JC, your photos arenít loading for me. Iíll check later, maybe itís my connection.

Life's a Garden, dig it!
    JC, your photos arenít loading for me. Iíll check later, maybe itís my connection.
    For me either.

*FIXED*

Fixing it. They show on my PC but not on my phone. Stand by.....

mtbr member
    Yeah buddy.

Life's a Garden, dig it!
    Great story and Pics JC.

They very much reminded me of some exploring that we did many years ago around the Blue Canyon area off of I80 heading up to Truckee.

If I can find pics of the rig. I'll post them. It was a '61 Willy's Wagoneer that used to belong to Fred MacMurray (think, My Three Sons).

Life's a Garden, dig it!

Found 'Em!

Okay, I referred to this truck above, but it's worthy of it's own post.

This belonged to the actor Fred MacMurray. My buddy bought it from him in '87 and drove it around for a bit just like he found it, with a Chevy 307 in it.

Then, he went to work on it:

NorCal Rigs that Tacomas Envy-61_willys_before.jpg

He shortened a '73 Chevy 3/4 ton truck frame and used the axles and running gear that was in it, except for the L88 spec 427 Chevy. (this pic is from the trip I mentioned above)

Here it is after he cut the top off and painted it:

NorCal Rigs that Tacomas Envy-61_willys_after.jpg

This thing was a BEAST. It was funny to see it with three kids seats strapped in the back.

You could NOT get this thing stuck as pictured in the first photo. (There's more to that story, too.)

Fun times!

fc
    Have 2 Scouts now! One has a removable top!!NorCal Rigs that Tacomas Envy-img_2489.jpg

NorCal Rigs that Tacomas Envy-img_2464.jpg
    IPA will save America

Life's a Garden, dig it!
    FC, Did you see the Scout that went on BringaTrailer yesterday, by chance? $38K. Stunning!

This:

NorCal Rigs that Tacomas Envy-bat-scout.jpg

fc
    FC, Did you see the Scout that went on BringaTrailer yesterday, by chance? $38K. Stunning!

This:

Name:	BaT-Scout.jpg 
Views:	27 
Size:	93.7 KB 
ID:	1237001
    wow, thank you!!! Looks like that thing is ready to wheel.
    IPA will save America

This:

Quite a nice piece of work rightchthar.

This:
    ]
    That's hot!

mtbr member

This:

Not a bad price. You couldnít find and restore for this price counting the value of your labor.

mtbr member
    Found a place in Campbell that will fabricate some custom skid plates for my Tahoe. I purposely bought the LT with max trailering package instead of the Z71, as the trailering package has a far better suspension. The fabrication guys told me the skids they build will be lightyears beyond Z71s. Will be interesting.

Anybody ever go here?

Arabia's Overkill Home Page

Found a place in Campbell that will fabricate some custom skid plates for my Tahoe. I purposely bought the LT with max trailering package instead of the Z71, as the trailering package has a far better suspension. The fabrication guys told me the skids they build will be lightyears beyond Z71s. Will be interesting.

Anybody ever go here?

Arabia's Overkill Home Page
    Huh? I thought the Z71 was the top notch level for off-road. Used my Google, what an I missing here?

NorCal Rigs that Tacomas Envy-41c60f45-0e82-449e-9761-fa9c803cb46b.jpg

mtbr member

Huh? I thought the Z71 was the top notch level for off-road. Used my Google, what an I missing here?
    The LT Tahoe with max trailering package has stronger coils and air leveling shocks for towing that the Z71 doesnít have. It also has the same low gear differential and G80 locker. It doesnít have stock skid plates. So, Iím having custom made, better skid plates than the Z71. But in all honestly, neither are the Z71 or my souped up LT are good for much more than light off road. Check out the border patrol Tahoes, after they lift it 6 inches, strip off the bumpers, put on tubular skids and 35 inch tires. Those can go nearly anywhere.

The LT Tahoe with max trailering package has stronger coils and air leveling shocks for towing that the Z71 doesnít have. It also has the same low gear differential and G80 locker. It doesnít have stock skid plates. So, Iím having custom made, better skid plates than the Z71. But in all honestly, neither are the Z71 or my souped up LT are good for much more than light off road. Check out the border patrol Tahoes, after they lift it 6 inches, strip off the bumpers, put on tubular skids and 35 inch tires. Those can go nearly anywhere.
    Weird that the Z71 is lacking in the towing department compared to the LT. I guess the LT is more oriented towards a family SUV vacation vehicle with premium interior trim. I hate it when companies charge a premium for a package like the Z71 off road yet donít give all the goodies that even the lower LT has. Badging it with fancy emblems brings 10K more.

Weird that the Z71 is lacking in the towing department compared to the LT. I guess the LT is more oriented towards a family SUV vacation vehicle with premium interior trim. I hate it when companies charge a premium for a package like the Z71 off road yet donít give all the goodies that even the lower LT has. Badging it with fancy emblems brings 10K more.
    The Z71 package has become very lame duck for off-road. In fact, you can even get the Z71 package on 2wd vehicles now. For the Colorado the ZR2 is the top off-road package (2" lift with Multimatic DSSV spool valve shocks, front/rear lockers, off-road tuned leaf springs, off-road bumpers etc) and for the Silverado the Trail Boss is the top off-road package ( 2" spacer lift, rear auto locker, Duratrac tire) In the GMC lineup the AT4 is the off-road model (similar to the Trail Boss).

mtbr member
    The Z71 package has become very lame duck for off-road. In fact, you can even get the Z71 package on 2wd vehicles now. For the Colorado the ZR2 is the top off-road package (2" lift with Multimatic DSSV spool valve shocks, front/rear lockers, off-road tuned leaf springs, off-road bumpers etc) and for the Silverado the Trail Boss is the top off-road package ( 2" spacer lift, rear auto locker, Duratrac tire) In the GMC lineup the AT4 is the off-road model (similar to the Trail Boss).
    Yep. My plan is to drive mine as a luxury light off roader/family wagon for a few years, then it will become my MTB wagon taking the place of my R50. I will probably do a 6 inch coil lift, metal bumpers, bigger tires, tubular skids etc. The Tahoes do have a good base to build on with body on frame construction, solid axle, 2 speed transfer case etc. In 2020 I hear the body on frame is over..... unibody.......that is a shame.

rho
    Life is strange
    Yep. My plan is to drive mine as a luxury light off roader/family wagon for a few years, then it will become my MTB wagon taking the place of my R50. I will probably do a 6 inch coil lift, metal bumpers, bigger tires, tubular skids etc. The Tahoes do have a good base to build on with body on frame construction, solid axle, 2 speed transfer case etc. In 2020 I hear the body on frame is over..... unibody.......that is a shame.
    Arabia's is awesome, I haven't had any work done by them but I've been by the shop and they always have cool toys in there. If I ever put long arms on my JKU I'll prob go there as I don't really have space to deal with cutting a bunch of brackets off and re-welding them.

With your Tahoe be careful about adding too much weight or getting to rough with em, they're still fairly light duty trucks so you'll kind of need to watch things like the front diff if you plan to lock it, and weight/tires/gearing and all that stuff. I've never really wheeled a IFS rig, much less a full size one but they can work pretty darn well. For the GM stuff my wife's 2wd truck has a G80 in the rear and that stupid thing work surprisingly well... Her lead foot helps that as well. Dunno if your tahoe has one, but they work well considering.

I wonder if there should be a Hollister Hills run sometime soon...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by rho View Post
    Arabia's is awesome, I haven't had any work done by them but I've been by the shop and they always have cool toys in there. If I ever put long arms on my JKU I'll prob go there as I don't really have space to deal with cutting a bunch of brackets off and re-welding them.

With your Tahoe be careful about adding too much weight or getting to rough with em, they're still fairly light duty trucks so you'll kind of need to watch things like the front diff if you plan to lock it, and weight/tires/gearing and all that stuff. I've never really wheeled a IFS rig, much less a full size one but they can work pretty darn well. For the GM stuff my wife's 2wd truck has a G80 in the rear and that stupid thing work surprisingly well... Her lead foot helps that as well. Dunno if your tahoe has one, but they work well considering.

I wonder if there should be a Hollister Hills run sometime soon...
    Hollister Hills would be good with me. I have a Nissan R50 (old QX4) getting some new mudslingers, coils, struts on it right now! That's my MTB battle wagon/hell raiser. It's a surprisingly good 4x4.

rho
    Life is strange
    Hollister Hills would be good with me. I have a Nissan R50 (old QX4) getting some new mudslingers, coils, struts on it right now! That's my MTB battle wagon/hell raiser. It's a surprisingly good 4x4.
    Nice! Those are fun little trucks. Nissan does 4x4's very well, my dad has a pro 4x Xterra that had zero issues dragging a trailer around on the Mojave Road when we did that trail a couple years back. What'd you get for tires?

... and speaking of tires... I need to get new wheels and tires for my jeep at some point but that is 2K I'm not super looking forward to spending. Its geared for 35's right now but I have 33's on it and yeah, it isn't too happy above 70 on the freeway.

For Hollister, I think something in March would work for me... dunno about anyone else tho, Feb is pretty busy with some fam stuff and then I'm taking my kid on a camping/expedition trip out to AZ to see the Grand Canyon and Hover Dam and to do some exploring/wheeling out that way and then hitting the Mojave Road on the way back.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by rho View Post
    Nice! Those are fun little trucks. Nissan does 4x4's very well, my dad has a pro 4x Xterra that had zero issues dragging a trailer around on the Mojave Road when we did that trail a couple years back. What'd you get for tires?

... and speaking of tires... I need to get new wheels and tires for my jeep at some point but that is 2K I'm not super looking forward to spending. Its geared for 35's right now but I have 33's on it and yeah, it isn't too happy above 70 on the freeway.

For Hollister, I think something in March would work for me... dunno about anyone else tho, Feb is pretty busy with some fam stuff and then I'm taking my kid on a camping/expedition trip out to AZ to see the Grand Canyon and Hover Dam and to do some exploring/wheeling out that way and then hitting the Mojave Road on the way back.
    I'm going to test fit some steel wheels and KM3's this weekend.

rho
    Life is strange
    I'm going to test fit some steel wheels and KM3's this weekend.
    Nice! You better post pics.

mtbr member
    ZR2 looks like an awesome truck. Raptor and TRD doesn't have front locking diffs???

ZR2 looks like an awesome truck. Raptor and TRD doesn't have front locking diffs???

Lol
    NorCal Rigs that Tacomas Envy-33c983dc-df72-4714-8ed1-678caeef9133.jpg

mtbr member
    Lol

Name:	33C983DC-DF72-4714-8ED1-678CAEEF9133.jpg 
Views:	28 
Size:	173.2 KB 
ID:	1237789
    Great catch! I like how he shows the Tacos etc slinging dirt trying to get up the hill, then says 'this is actually my wife coming up the hill in the ZR2.' She's out for a Sunday cruise! LOL!

Great vid for sure. Iíd love to take some of those rigs out and thrash them like that.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004

looks like those were gen1 raptors in the video...but, correct, even the gen2 raptors do not have locking front diff's. The gen2 has: electronically-locking (driver selectable) rear diff - standard - and a TorSen front - optional. most are equipped with the TorSen front.

NRP
    mtbr member
    Sep 2015
    That video looked like a lot of fun. I've been thinking about getting a 4wd pickup for off road shenanigans. Maybe in the next couple of years.

mtbr member
    looks like those were gen1 raptors in the video...but, correct, even the gen2 raptors do not have locking front diff's. The gen2 has: electronically-locking (driver selectable) rear diff - standard - and a TorSen front - optional. most are equipped with the TorSen front.
    How does the TorSen compare with a G80 for offroad climbing, sand, mud, etc?

mtbr member
    New steelies for the MTB beater wagon.

mtbr member

Nice... what size and offset? Post when your R50 is done... I'm curious to see how it ended up.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ron m. View Post
    Nice... what size and offset? Post when your R50 is done... I'm curious to see how it ended up.
    These are 16 inch 4.25" backspaced. I was going to go with 15's but was afraid the calipers would rub with new brake pads/rotors. Should be done in a few days.

]
    I dig em! I like functional over bling and sometging you don't care about scratching on rocks.

I had to break down and buy wheels this week. The front end tire rub is annoying as is the reduced turnin radius because of it. So I ordered some with less offset to help the tires clear the frame.

mtbr member
    I dig em! I like functional over bling and sometging you don't care about scratching on rocks.

I had to break down and buy wheels this week. The front end tire rub is annoying as is the reduced turnin radius because of it. So I ordered some with less offset to help the tires clear the frame.
    You can go spacers as well?

Professional Troll
    Why do people get Tacos instead of Tundras? I've never understood that. Unless they're really short or don't more around much gear?

Quote Originally Posted by Gemini2k05 View Post
    Why do people get Tacos instead of Tundras? I've never understood that. Unless they're really short or don't more around much gear?
    Easier to park.

Better gas mileage.

Chicks dig them.

You can go spacers as well?
    I tried 1.25" Bora spacers but they pushed the tire too far out and the tires rubbed hard on the back of the fender well. I cant run a .75" or 1" spacer without grinding down the wheel studs. I am currently running 7mm spacers which help but frame rub is still bad. I can't run anything thicker without replacing the studs with something longer and those are quite expensive. The cost for new studs is almost half the price of my new wheels. It's a crappy wheel well design by GM and it creates problems for anyone wanting to run a 33"+ tire. A 255/80/17 would fit fine with the fender work I've done but my 285s are brand new and I like the look better than the skinnies.

You can see how the studs stick out past the spacer. My OE wheels have holes on the backside that can accomodate the studs but not if they were longer.
    NorCal Rigs that Tacomas Envy-rq6ykfz.jpg

Easier to park.

Better gas mileage.

Chicks dig them.

Pretty much.

Tundras get pretty horrid fuel economy and are way too big for a lot of trails. Like most modern full-size trucks they are just too large. If you live in wide open spaces this isn't an issue but in cities and most good off-road trails a full-size is just too much truck. Yes, hundreds of thousands of people make it work but personally I don't want to deal with it and will happily drive a scaled down version. I don't understand the mentality of "more truck for your money". That's like saying I prefer to buy a watch that is the size of a dinner plate vs. a small one that does all of the same stuff.

Professional Troll
    Easier to park.

Better gas mileage.

Chicks dig them.

1. I get if you live in an urban area. But...literally like 2 people on this board fall into that category. I mean just about everyone on here lives in suburbia.
    2. I never understood this argument. I guess you save like $500 over the life of the vehicle? So that's like 1-2% of your total CoO? Seems kinda pointless IMO. Maybe I'm wrong here
    3. False.

mtbr member
    ...Chicks dig them...
    Until they hear the panty-dropping rumble of that V8 Then they're all "Taco who?"

Life's a Garden, dig it!
    Until they hear the panty-dropping rumble of that V8 Then they're all "Taco who?"
    That there, is quote worthy. Thank you. I must say though, my 400 inch Pontiac does it better.

mtbr member
    Hard to compete with the sound old school muscle.

The 5.7 in the Tundra has a nice report when you add an after-market cat back system. Even better with the TRD supercharger

1. I get if you live in an urban area. But...literally like 2 people on this board fall into that category. I mean just about everyone on here lives in suburbia.
    2. I never understood this argument. I guess you save like $500 over the life of the vehicle? So that's like 1-2% of your total CoO? Seems kinda pointless IMO. Maybe I'm wrong here
    3. False.

So can we agree to disagree that if a Taco had a healthy V8 option like it should have weíd have the perfect compromise. Unless of course you have to tow large loads on a regular basis.

That there, is quote worthy. Thank you. I must say though, my 400 inch Pontiac does it better.
    I think we both know that.

mtbr member
    This shit is hard to watch.....but the convo above reminded me of it....

Life's a Garden, dig it!
    This shit is hard to watch.....but the convo above reminded me of it....

Yeah, that was pretty cheesy/campy.

Was never much of a fan of that movie anyway, though.

mtbr member
    New shoes going on the banger wagon.

mtbr member
    MTB mobile with new rubber, wheels. Going to add 2 inches to the lift next, skid plates, and some brush guards/lights. This is my son's hell raising car now.

NorCal Rigs that Tacomas Envy-img_1304.jpg

Looking good.👍🏼

MTB mobile with new rubber, wheels. Going to add 2 inches to the lift next, skid plates, and some brush guards/lights. This is my son's hell raising car now.

Name:	IMG_1304.jpg 
Size:	384.4 KB 
ID:	1238972
    Looks great! What kind of lift? Spacers or ride height adjustable shocks?

I got the new wheels installed too. I don't normally buy aftermarket wheels but the rubbing is gone and I like the look.

NorCal Rigs that Tacomas Envy-wvdjtzl.jpg
    NorCal Rigs that Tacomas Envy-kaflkxb.jpg

mtbr member

I got the new wheels installed too. I don't normally buy aftermarket wheels but the rubbing is gone and I like the look.

Name:	wVDJTzL.jpg 
Size:	386.4 KB 
ID:	1238984

Name:	kAfLKxB.jpg 
Views:	36 
Size:	411.6 KB 
ID:	1238985
    Man, those are some BADASS wheels and tires!

It is stock height, I just put on new struts and springs, but didn't want to stress the CV joints on such an old car, it's a 2002 QX4. Also my son is a new driver, so I don't want him to drive a lifted truck just yet. I'm going to put a 2 inch spacer front and rear on the struts/springs, maybe a set of Bilsteins later.

The wheels are 16x8 4.25BS, no spacers. Tires are WildPeak AT3 W 255/70R16.

Getting a little rub at lock out. Nothing my heat gun and some spacers won't fix.

Looking forward to taking him out to Hollister and teaching how to really drive!

mtbr member
    Aug 2004

nice looking wheels. what are they?

Man, those are some BADASS wheels and tires!

It is stock height, I just put on new struts and springs, but didn't want to stress the CV joints on such an old car, it's a 2002 QX4. Also my son is a new driver, so I don't want him to drive a lifted truck just yet. I'm going to put a 2 inch spacer front and rear on the struts/springs, maybe a set of Bilsteins later.

The wheels are 16x8 4.25BS, no spacers. Tires are WildPeak AT3 W 255/70R16.

Getting a little rub at lock out. Nothing my heat gun and some spacers won't fix.

Looking forward to taking him out to Hollister and teaching how to really drive!
    Thanks!

Right on. I was just checking. I like to see what people use on different platforms. He's going to have a blast in that thing!

mtbr member
    Thanks!

Right on. I was just checking. I like to see what people use on different platforms. He's going to have a blast in that thing!
    It's old and things will break on it. But I want him to learn to work on it and be resourceful. So many of his friends have brand new cars. That's a shame.

nice looking wheels. what are they?
    A new wheel by DV8 Off-Road specifically for the Colorado/Canyon. They make a lot of true beadlock wheels for Jeeps but the price is much higher. Rev Wheels makes them for DV8.

I bought them because they would solve my tire rub issue and they are inexpensive. Most of the good looking wheels available for my truck come in a 0 offset which is too negative for my setup and taste or they are $200+ per wheel. My factory wheel is a +33 offset and the DV8 wheels are +20.

https://dv8offroad.com/products/dv8-offroad-887-wheels

mtbr member

Those look great!

Life's a Garden, dig it!

Name:	IMG_1304.jpg 
Size:	384.4 KB 
ID:	1238972
    Now all you need is a 2" lift on that infinity and you're in business!

I'm not a fan of many of the new wheel styles, but I like those!

mtbr member
    Now all you need is a 2" lift on that infinity and you're in business!
    Yep, that's next. These old R50's have quite a following up in Canada for some reason. Some fabricators up there for custom parts etc. My brother in law owns a machine shop, I'm going to have him make a full set of skids plates for it as well.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    A new wheel by DV8 Off-Road specifically for the Colorado/Canyon. They make a lot of true beadlock wheels for Jeeps but the price is much higher. Rev Wheels makes them for DV8.

I bought them because they would solve my tire rub issue and they are inexpensive. Most of the good looking wheels available for my truck come in a 0 offset which is too negative for my setup and taste or they are $200+ per wheel. My factory wheel is a +33 offset and the DV8 wheels are +20.

https://dv8offroad.com/products/dv8-offroad-887-wheels
    I understand the dilemma. I ended up going the zero offset route on my raptor (with Method Roosts)...I could use a little less poke but, then again, it's a raptor and it's already a city block wide.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    How does the TorSen compare with a G80 for offroad climbing, sand, mud, etc?
    I missed this question. hard for me to compare on a limited sample size in vehicles with / without lockers. I think the net of it the locker is always going to be better for straight-ahead traction. I do have a locker (enabled manually / electronically) in the rear and I'll use it for slow speed climbing. The only real downside there is add'l wear (or so the off-road instructors that I've been with have said)...but for most of the driving I do off-road, lmt slips front and rear are plenty sufficient.

Life's a Garden, dig it!

Taco Related...

I forgot to dl a pic of this and just thought of it. This is my youngest son's first car. I picked it up over on the valley side of Lake Berryessa a few years back for $500. Had the typical V6 Head gasket issue. It turns out it had also hydro-locked and bent one connecting rod. I ended up putting about $1000 into the motor and $800 into tires and wheels, plus a couple hundred into a 3" body lift. He had a bawl with it. Sold it for $3500 after beating the crap out of it.

NorCal Rigs that Tacomas Envy-img_0017.jpg

NorCal Rigs that Tacomas Envy-img_0019.jpg

mtbr member
    I forgot to dl a pic of this and just thought of it. This is my youngest son's first car. I picked it up over on the valley side of Lake Berryessa a few years back for $500. Had the typical V6 Head gasket issue. It turns out it had also hydro-locked and bent one connecting rod. I ended up putting about $1000 into the motor and $800 into tires and wheels, plus a couple hundred into a 3" body lift. He had a bawl with it. Sold it for $3500 after beating the crap out of it.

Name:	IMG_0017.jpg 
Views:	25 
Size:	303.0 KB 
ID:	1239045

Name:	IMG_0019.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	332.6 KB 
ID:	1239046
    That's it! 2" body lift going on as I type.

That's it! 2" body lift going on as I type.
    Nice!
    I wonder if Toyota would have covered that head gasket issue if you contacted them. If the vin. # showed it wasnít addressed yet I bet they would have. I had an 88í 4-Runner years ago. Bought it used and it had a salvaged title. Even with a salvaged title Toyota gave me a new motor from the heads down because of the head gasket recall. There were so many customers at that time being addressed they got sick of resurfacing the block and heads and just opted to replace my motor, score!

Life's a Garden, dig it!
    Nice!
    I wonder if Toyota would have covered that head gasket issue if you contacted them. If the vin. # showed it wasnít addressed yet I bet they would have. I had an 88í 4-Runner years ago. Bought it used and it had a salvaged title. Even with a salvaged title Toyota gave me a new motor from the heads down because of the head gasket recall. There were so many customers at that time being addressed they got sick of resurfacing the block and heads and just opted to replace my motor, score!
    I tried. When Toyota settled their lawsuit, they did it with gaps in VINs that were supposedly not affected (yeah, RIIIGGGHHHT!). This truck's VIN fell into a gap.

I tried. When Toyota settled their lawsuit, they did it with gaps in VINs that were supposedly not affected (yeah, RIIIGGGHHHT!). This truck's VIN fell into a gap.
    Seriously! How could there be gaps of VINs that werenít effected in a motor that the design wasnít changed mid production, weird.

mtbr member
    Seriously! How could there be gaps of VINs that werenít effected in a motor that the design wasnít changed mid production, weird.
    Was it a design issue or a manufacturing issue?

Quote Originally Posted by chrisbtsc View Post
    Was it a design issue or a manufacturing issue?
    In this case the block to heads didnít mate without surface flaws. They didnít change the design mid run and and have some vehicles that were fine and other with a problem. They did a recall on the head gasket problem. Should have fixed all vehicles effected and changed the design so the heads to the block mated without air gaps. I donít understand how there could be some vehicles with this bad design flaw and others that didnít as Chuck experienced. All vehicles prior to the change in design should have been included in the recall, no?

Edit: Iím not even sure that Toyota changed the design. I thought I remember when I had mine done way back in 1998 they said the design was changed. But canít find anything on the Net about any change. I guess they just resurface the heads and block for the fix. Even so, shouldnít a recall last until the customer has the work done? Or is there a deadline on recalls like this?

mtbr member
    In this case the block to heads didnít mate without surface flaws. They didnít change the design mid run and and have some vehicles that were fine and other with a problem. They did a recall on the head gasket problem. Should have fixed all vehicles effected and changed the design so the heads to the block mated without air gaps. I donít understand how there could be some vehicles with this bad design flaw and others that didnít as Chuck experienced. All vehicles prior to the change in design should have been included in the recall, no?
    I've known about the 3.0 and head gasket issues but I know none of the details as to why. If it's truly a design related issue I would think with some vehicles affected and some not, that it was probably a tolerance issue. Most likely there was a certain batch of parts that fell in a certain tolerance range that was deemed acceptable, all others fell outside of that range and those were the ones that had issues. The design change was probably tightening of tolerances on mating parts. Again, I know none of the details of what actually occurred, just inputting my opinion based on experience working in the manufacturing industry my whole life.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast