The Norcal post-ride DUI - Page 2- Mtbr.com
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    fc
    head minion Administrator

The Norcal post-ride DUI

Quote Originally Posted by SS Hack View Post
    People should also be allowed to leave cars parked places overnight with a note in the window and not get a ticket for doing the correct thing. In Fairfax you can, but my guess is most the Bay Area you'd come back in the morning to a pile of tickets. Not sure about trail heads either -- but we need to make it easy for folks to not drive.
    Yes, we don’t have a lot of options once at the trailhead. Uber and Lyft have improved the state of DUI but hard for post -Ride. Really up to friends to help if ever.

A really good idea is food and sparkling water/etc. Hit the food and water first. Sip later. If there is zero food, be aware.
    Last edited by fc; 4 Weeks Ago at 03:43 PM.
    IPA will save America

mtbr member
    Apr 2017
    A great topic to remind ourselves of.

If the goal is to make the roads safer I just wish they would go after distracted drivers with the same penalties.

A slap on the wrist for distracted driving vs $20,000 in expenses for blowing a .05 (in some states) seems like a lot of disparity to me.

Distracted drivers are killing people too.

mtbr member
    People should also be allowed to leave cars parked places overnight with a note in the window and not get a ticket for doing the correct thing. In Fairfax you can, but my guess is most the Bay Area you'd come back in the morning to a pile of tickets. Not sure about trail heads either -- but we need to make it easy for folks to not drive.
    (snark)Where's the revenue in that?(/snark)

On the personal responsibility, risk/reward front doing the math between a DUI and a Ticket/Tow/Impound calculation, I'm pretty sure it still works out in favor of the latter.

Obviously I'm not so dense as to miss your point that people are doing a different equation (getting away with the DUI is "free" vs tickets and whatnot), but that sort of enlightened policy making eludes most bureaucratic respect-mah-authoritye types.

mtbr member
    Mar 2016

I must agree. But sometimes you're too drunk to think of or write a note. If the doors are locked & driver reclined & snoring, we should get a pass til dawn, right?

I do thank the SF officer, who parking-ticketed my truck at 3AM after one hell of a party, without waking me or towing my truck.

Responsibly drunk that night! ;-)

Catfish ...

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    You should absolutely be allowed to sleep it off in you car. Unfortunately sucking every last penny out of people is often the goal of local government.

the half breed devil
    be careful about having trailside "safety meetings" as well.

stoned driving is impaired driving.

i have a hard and fast rule about not driving or going to work stoned.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by fc View Post
    Yes, we don’t have a lot of options once at the trailhead. Uber and Lyft have improved the state of DUI but hard for post -Ride. Really up to friends to help if ever.

A really good idea is food and sparkling water/etc. Hit the food and water first. Sip later. If there is zero food, be aware.
    Bullshit. Just don't drink before driving, problem solved.

Professional Troll
    Quote Originally Posted by Xterra123 View Post
    A great topic to remind ourselves of.

If the goal is to make the roads safer I just wish they would go after distracted drivers with the same penalties.

A slap on the wrist for distracted driving vs $20,000 in expenses for blowing a .05 (in some states) seems like a lot of disparity to me.

Distracted drivers are killing people too.
    Bingo. It's not about safety, it's about control and backdoor taxes.

Air Pirate
    Quote Originally Posted by Californiagrown View Post
    Interesting. So without completing any tests (walk the line, touch the nose, blood, or breath) you were still convicted of DUI? Do you remember what was the probably cause for arrest?

Seems weird that an official at the DMV would would be able to render an interpretation of law in a judicial proceeding. Lawyers are supposed to argue codified law in front of a judge, not argue for interpretations of law from a 3rd party source that is then used in a court of law. Id be interested to know more about that aspect.
    You previously mentioned you were familiar with the laws of Washington state via your lawyer girlfriend...with all due respect, what you may be familiar with in other states may not apply here in California...and since this is the Nor Cal forum this conversation probably should just involve the laws of the State of California which concern DUI.

Vehicle Code laws of California in some ways are very different than most of the other states in the union. We have some functions and areas of law that do not exist elsewhere, or how things are administered may be completely different and from some perspectives non-sensical or illogical.

In California, the DMV license suspension is handled as a separate review from the criminal court case. It is an "administrative" suspension (called Admin Per Se or APS) and is independent of the criminal/court case. State law requires DMV "to suspend or revoke the driving privilege of any person arrested for driving under the influence (DUI) of alcohol or a combination of alcohol and drugs, who:

• Takes a chemical (blood or breath) test which shows a blood alcohol concentration (BAC) level of 0.01% while on DUI probation, 0.04% while driving a commercial vehicle, and/or a 0.08% or more while driving a noncommercial vehicle, OR
    • Refuses to take or fails to complete a chemical test (blood or breath) to determine his/ her BAC level"

Please note that the above states "arrested" and not "convicted". Remember, the ENTIRE driving experience in the State of California is legally considered a privilege, not a right. This gives the State a lot of power and leeway in administering such processes.

For more information or to answer any questions about the Admin Per Se process, take a look at this DMV Info Page
    "You're messing with my zen thing, man!"

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    FYI, in some states, operating a bicycle while under the influence is viewed exactly like a DUI. In CA, it's a CUI, but still a misdemeanor. So, it's not just an issue when operating a car.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by DH40 View Post
    While racing the SOC enduro, I transferred with a guy on his second in-race can and I don’t think there’s anything wrong with that. I’ll see myself out....
    For the record Osmo made with Fort Ord hose water made me do it...

mtbr member
    I have always wondered and maybe someone can answer this.. If alcohol in the human body only metabolizes through respiration and perspiration, would riding a bike accelerate the process or removing alcohol from the system with the elevated breathing and increased perspiration? If that was the case, perhaps the parking lot apres-bike needs to be drunk at the bottom of say, flow trail, so you are sober when you get back to the car?

In other news, and being that I personally take this topic of responsibility seriously- I grabbed one of these from Costco recently, and I can tell you for certain, it's a great tool to possess not only after riding/drinking, but also on those long weekend BBQ parties such as the most recent Easter overindulgence, it's sobering in itself to see how polluted one can become in such a short time...

https://www.costco.com/alcohol-monitors.html

fc
    Quote Originally Posted by twowheelmotion View Post
    I have always wondered and maybe someone can answer this.. If alcohol in the human body only metabolizes through respiration and perspiration, would riding a bike accelerate the process or removing alcohol from the system with the elevated breathing and increased perspiration? If that was the case, perhaps the parking lot apres-bike needs to be drunk at the bottom of say, flow trail, so you are sober when you get back to the car?

In other news, and being that I personally take this topic of responsibility seriously- I grabbed one of these from Costco recently, and I can tell you for certain, it's a great tool to possess not only after riding/drinking, but also on those long weekend BBQ parties such as the most recent Easter overindulgence, it's sobering in itself to see how polluted one can become in such a short time...

I like it!!! I think we really need that to help better understand the body. When you have one beer, are you at .01 or .05??
    IPA will save America

mtbr member

When I used to drink I owned a handheld breathalyzer.

After exhaustive research.. buurp.. I determined that I could consume two 7 to 8% ABV pints while monitoring my levels. (don't blow after a sip- give it a few minutes)

It was interesting to watch my level ascend, peak and then finally start to decline.

Normally I would reach .08 to .1 before the level would start to decline. But if I ate something the absorption rate would be slower and I would never reach .08 So I usually went with that formula.

But all bets were off after ordering that 3rd pint

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    I sometimes have a post-ride drink and drive home. Its usually a pint at Burger in SC at 6% or lower. Generally, I stick with whatever session IPA looks good. I'm not sure how that would come out on the BAC reading, but I imagine that after a hardy meal, plenty of water, and some BS time, it would be below .05%. At least, thats what I tell myself for peace of mind.

Hella Olde

I'm getting one! Thanks for the reminder that these things exist (and are app -connected no less). For data collection and analysis - not to thread the needle of legality.

I dig trails!
    My neighbor is a CHP officer and he bought a breathalyzer for fun... So we played with it at home. We discovered 2 IPA is it. No more. We were over .08 at 3 beers. So I will never go over two anytime I have to drive. Even then I am careful to have some time. I now have a strategy of having a La Croix canned water after a beer, so I can still hang out an have some laughs, have something in my hand (it's a thing) and not worry about driving.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr.P View Post
    I can still hang out an have some laughs, have something in my hand (it's a thing) and not worry about driving.
    You sound like a chronic masturbator.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by BraaapTastic View Post
    FYI, in some states, operating a bicycle while under the influence is viewed exactly like a DUI. In CA, it's a CUI, but still a misdemeanor. So, it's not just an issue when operating a car.
    To a lesser extent so is public intoxication. Even if walking home from the bar if you happen to j-walk while over .08 can still land you in serious trouble.

Busting people for sleeping it off in their car is BS, especially if that was their intent. I've decided to simply sleep in my van vs driving many times. Once I had a cop (in NJ) pound on my doors & window for a looong time. Soon 2 more cars showed up & they were there for at least an hour. Turns out they ran my plates and even went to my home trying to rouse someone up there. I simply ignored them and nothing ever became of it. Talking to some of my cop & lawyer buddies this was definitely my best course of action. I happened to be parked in the bar parking lot at the time & know the owner very well. Ultimately instances like this are why I moved. NJ is a police state, convince me otherwise.

Where I live now I've never dealt with the police. I've never even seen one at trailhead parking lot, ever.
    It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society.

Hella Olde
    Quote Originally Posted by ohmygato View Post
    Topic: Beating Off In Norcal Frequency? Duration? All mental or with adjunct materials? While driving?

Caw Caw

Edit - I feel guilty AF for the above message. I know it's not the wild wild west of the early internet. But it felt so good.

Moderator Moderator
    Topic: Beating Off In Norcal Frequency? Duration? All mental or with adjunct materials? While driving?

Caw Caw
    You gotta stay relaxed......

Hella Olde
    Quote Originally Posted by 5k bike 50cent legs View Post
    You gotta stay relaxed......

Haha - I'd never actually seen the film.

I dig trails!
    Quote Originally Posted by ohmygato View Post
    Is there a word for more than chronic?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr.P View Post
    Is there a word for more than chronic?
    I believe “compulsive” is the classification you’re looking for. It is at this point when some opt to take their hobby a step further and obtain their Masters in Bating.
    18’ SC Bronson Carbon
    Grip2, Reserve 27 hoops, i9 hubs, Float X2

2018 SC V10.6
    Grip2, We Are One: The Outlier, i9 hubs, DHX2

mtbr member
    Utah just lowered to .05 and California is considering it too. Many other countries are at .05. Best to go home and drink.
    Wow, just had this one beer after my ride while on top of gooseberry. Was not driving but the key was in the ignition.
    Wonder what my BAC was.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    May 2006
    As someone who works in an ER, I see intoxicated patients on a daily basis. Many are chronic alcoholics and can have astonishingly high BA levels and still be awake (my record in a conscious patient is 0.54 - don't try that at home). Without at least two levels it's not clear if someone's BA is increasing or declining.

While it's known to everyone that alcohol impairs physical ability, it's not obvious to many that even small amounts of alcohol consumed can impair your cognitive function. I.E, YOU MAY NOT UNDERSTAND HOW IMPAIRED YOU ACTUALLY ARE. Sort of a Dunning Krueger Effect, if you will. Alcohol makes you too stupid to realize how stupid you actually are.

Let that sink in for a moment ... especially those who think they can drink a few beers and drive just fine, TWVM. You're not the driver you think you are after drinking.

While it doesn't take much alcohol to exceed 0.08 it also doesn't take much to impair your cognitive or physical capacities. It's well known that alcohol lower inhibitions... including those that would normally prevent a sober person from doing something risky.

Simple rule. If you're drinking, don't drive. If you're driving, don't drink. It's never worth it. And I'm not just talking about the toll of getting a DUI. That's actually cheap compared to killing or maiming someone. All this talk of buying a BA analyzer so you can test yourself at the TH or a party is really missing the point, IMO.

I'm only 135 lbs and I used to think that I could drink one drink during a dinner out and if an hour went by, then I'd be fine to drive. I don't believe that any more.

Hella Olde
    Quote Originally Posted by king_dave72 View Post

Simple rule. If you're drinking, don't drive. If you're driving, don't drink. It's never worth it. And I'm not just talking about the toll of getting a DUI. That's actually cheap compared to killing or maiming someone. All this talk of buying a BA analyzer so you can test yourself at the TH or a party is really missing the point, IMO.

I'm only 135 lbs and I used to think that I could drink one drink during a dinner out and if an hour went by, then I'd be fine to drive. I don't believe that any more.
    The breathalyzer could be effective to see if you've waited long enough to blow 0.00 before driving or to be sure you're in BAC decline.

When you say 'if you're drinking, don't drive', do you mean THAT DAY?

I'm a lifelong beerhound and occasionally the 2 may overlap ever so slightly - don't you thinks it's better to have some real data acquisition available?

CAW CAW

Hella Olde
    Quote Originally Posted by Shartist View Post
    I believe “compulsive” is the classification you’re looking for. It is at this point when some opt to take their hobby a step further and obtain their Masters in Bating.
    I'm not great at sex - I'm self-taught.

fc
    The breathalyzer could be effective to see if you've waited long enough to blow 0.00 before driving or to be sure you're in BAC decline.

When you say 'if you're drinking, don't drive', do you mean THAT DAY?

I'm a lifelong beerhound and occasionally the 2 may overlap ever so slightly - don't you thinks it's better to have some real data acquisition available?

CAW CAW
    I know rrrrright? Some folks are way out there. They assume that not one person out there can have a beer responsibly.

It's parallel to folks saying "don't ride your bicycle off-road". It can be done.
    IPA will save America

Air Pirate
    As someone who works in an ER, I see intoxicated patients on a daily basis. Many are chronic alcoholics and can have astonishingly high BA levels and still be awake (my record in a conscious patient is 0.54 - don't try that at home). Without at least two levels it's not clear if someone's BA is increasing or declining.

While it's known to everyone that alcohol impairs physical ability, it's not obvious to many that even small amounts of alcohol consumed can impair your cognitive function. I.E, YOU MAY NOT UNDERSTAND HOW IMPAIRED YOU ACTUALLY ARE. Sort of a Dunning Krueger Effect, if you will. Alcohol makes you too stupid to realize how stupid you actually are.

Let that sink in for a moment ... especially those who think they can drink a few beers and drive just fine, TWVM. You're not the driver you think you are after drinking.

While it doesn't take much alcohol to exceed 0.08 it also doesn't take much to impair your cognitive or physical capacities. It's well known that alcohol lower inhibitions... including those that would normally prevent a sober person from doing something risky.

Many people are under the impression that you have to be .08 BAC or over in the State of California to be arrested/convicted of DUI. This is incorrect.

In the California Vehicle Code, there are two basic code sections that are used when arresting/charging/convicting someone for DUI (alcohol):

23152. (a) - It is unlawful for a person who is under the influence of any alcoholic beverage to drive a vehicle.

23152. (b) - It is unlawful for a person who has 0.08 percent or more, by weight, of alcohol in his or her blood to drive a vehicle.

Several times I arrested drivers for the (a) when they were not in the (b) range...as king_dave72 stated you do not have to be a .08 to be impaired. Each of these arrests made it through court to conviction.

Not worth it to drive after drinking at all.

Also, FYI - those of you who drive for Uber, Lyft, or a similar company...as of July 1, 2018 there is a new law under 23152 VC for you:

23152 (e) - It shall be unlawful for a person who has 0.04 percent or more, by weight, of alcohol in his or her blood to drive a motor vehicle when a passenger for hire is a passenger in the vehicle at the time of the offense. For purposes of this subdivision, “passenger for hire” means a passenger for whom consideration is contributed or expected as a condition of carriage in the vehicle, whether directly or indirectly flowing to the owner, operator, agent, or any other person having an interest in the vehicle. In a prosecution under this subdivision, it is a rebuttable presumption that the person had 0.04 percent or more, by weight, of alcohol in his or her blood at the time of driving the vehicle if the person had 0.04 percent or more, by weight, of alcohol in his or her blood at the time of the performance of a chemical test within three hours after the driving.

And for you 420 folks....there has always been a section for driving under the influence of drugs, not just your newly legal green type but any drug:

23152 (f) - It is unlawful for a person who is under the influence of any drug to drive a vehicle.

And if you like to party it up and combine your brain-alterants:

23152 (g) - It is unlawful for a person who is under the combined influence of any alcoholic beverage and drug to drive a vehicle.

mtbr member

Over 100 posts in before I see this point being made.

.08% .01% It doesn't matter..

If you have ANY level BAC or THC for that matter - and get in an accident. Or even worse, an accident with injuries.

Your fault or not

Be be prepared to lawyer up

Air Pirate
    Quote Originally Posted by Truckee29 View Post

If you have ANY level BAC or THC for that matter - and get in an accident. Or even worse, an accident with injuries.

Your fault or not

Yup....turns into 23153VC...FELONY.

mtbr member
    Here is a post ride beer for you guys. 8oz of coors light.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    FC,

I think it's a specious argument to compare drinking and driving with riding a bicycle off road and that you should know better.

Question for you: You've suffered a stroke, you arrive in the ER, and are quickly diagnosed. The neurosurgeon is consulted and you are brought to the OR for emergency brain surgery within one hour of arrival. You find out that your neurosurgeon and the anesthesiologist both drank 2.5 IPA's just prior to the surgery at a hospital party. How do you feel about this?

Or, lets pose a hypothetical for a more routine surgery and one that's somewhat less of an emergency. your child has acute appendicitis and is scheduled to go the ER in 1 hour (but which, as in many cases, can be delayed by several hours if needed). The on call general surgeon is aware of your child and is on his way to the hospital after drinking 2.5 IPA's. An appendectomy is routine surgery and many general surgeons will have performed hundreds of them by the end of their career, so it should be no problem after a few beers, right?

If 2.5 IPA's is too many in these situations, then how many is okay? Driving a car is routine but complications DO occur. Same as with appendectomies.

I know rrrrright? Some folks are way out there. They assume that not one person out there can have a beer responsibly.

It's parallel to folks saying "don't ride your bicycle off-road". It can be done.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Thanks. I don't know why this is so complicated or why some people are so shocked by the penalties.

The metabolism of alcohol can vary depending on a lot of factors. You might think you're fine, but you could be wrong and the cost could be very high - money, court time, lawyer fees, lost license, someone's life or physical capacity.

Your fault or not

mtbr member
    Sep 2018
    Over 100 posts in before I see this point being made..08% .01% It doesn't matter.. If you have ANY level BAC or THC for that matter - and get in an accident. Or even worse, an accident with injuries.Your fault or not Be be prepared to lawyer up
    When you resort to scare tactics like this that you're turning a lot of people off. There are better ways of driving your point home than this.Bottom line is that if a cop wants to write you up for something then they probably will, and if you dont want that then just don't be stupid. Everyone knows this, and it's up to the individual to practice it. Hopefully soon we will have self-driving cars to help us out of a bind.

mtbr member
    Oct 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by LaloKera View Post
    Wow, just had this one beer after my ride while on top of gooseberry. Was not driving but the key was in the ignition.
    Wonder what my BAC was.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk
    Well considering the horizon is already tilted at 1/4 beer, I'm sure by time it was finished you were way too buzzed to be driving.

mtbr member

Caw Caw

Edit - I feel guilty AF for the above message. I know it's not the wild wild west of the early internet. But it felt so good.
    Nothing better than post ride masturbation followed by a post ride beer.

mtbr member
    Jan 2019

Caw Caw

I'd give you rep for this post if I could.....

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Harry Mackenzie View Post
    Nothing better than post ride masturbation followed by a post ride beer.
    Just make sure you use the Tecnu before you indulge.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by sa12 View Post
    When you resort to scare tactics like this that you're turning a lot of people off. There are better ways of driving your point home than this.Bottom line is that if a cop wants to write you up for something then they probably will, and if you dont want that then just don't be stupid. Everyone knows this, and it's up to the individual to practice it. Hopefully soon we will have self-driving cars to help us out of a bind.
    If the truth scares you so be it

Any amount of alcohol in your system becomes a huge problem if you're involved in an accident. Being "written up" will actually be the least of your worries.

Everyone knows that DUI is illegal but many still do it. Ask the OP

Self driving cars will also become problematic as you're still "Operating a motor vehicle under the influence" I wouldn't recommend it.

fc
    Quote Originally Posted by sa12 View Post
    Agree. It's good to be aware and be properly informed. But let's not go overboard.

If we did, we wouldn't mountain bike at all!!!
    IPA will save America

Air Pirate
    Agree. It's good to be aware and be properly informed. But let's not go overboard.

If we did, we wouldn't mountain bike at all!!!
    FC, what is overboard?

Yes, it is good to be aware and properly informed, but it is also good to be responsible enough to admit that DUI is something that should never, ever be glossed over or looked at as a minor thing on an internet message board or in any conversation about the topic on the 'net or out in reality. People want to justify, to say "Oh, it isn't so bad", to look the other way when they know what is really going on.

Is this overboard?

sa12 stated "When you resort to scare tactics like this that you're turning a lot of people off. " I hope you are scared. You should be. I hope you are turned off from drinking and driving.

This is personal to me. I worked traffic/patrol/evidence for years dealing with all aspects of DUI. I have been out of the service for years but I still get the dreams and waking images in my head from what I have seen, smelled, heard. I have lost friends and family to drunk drivers, been injured on duty myself by one. I have seen the consequences of someone who thought just a few beers would not be a problem who ended up destroying another innocent person and their family and friends while destroying their own life in the process. I simply cannot comprehend anyone who minimizes what the reality of DUI is.

Just to let you know, the majority of the idiots who drink, drive, and cause a collision that ends up in injuring or killing someone else are not the ones with a high BAC. Most are right near the .08

The odds are that if you do drink and drive the potential for you to get into some sort of collision are very high. The lucky ones are the few who get off with just an arrest.

Self Appointed Judge&Jury
    I'm not great at sex - I'm self-taught.

Baby steps, wait until you try it with a partner.
    Quote Originally Posted by mileslong View Post
    I passionately remove rocks and corners and other stuff I find too hard to ride.

fc
    Quote Originally Posted by Bokchoicowboy View Post
    FC, what is overboard?

Overboard is saying "zero alcohol if you're gonna drive." And everyone who does it is the devil.

It's happening more in the General Discussion Forum version of this thread.

It's like folks telling me I have a death wish since I mountain bike.
    IPA will save America

mtbr member
    Apr 2018
    Overboard is saying "zero alcohol if you're gonna drive." And everyone who does it is the devil.

It's happening more in the General Discussion Forum version of this thread.

It's like folks telling me I have a death wish since I mountain bike.
    agreed.

let's talk about the Rx opioid proliferation.

fc
    Quote Originally Posted by FactoryMatt View Post
    agreed.

let's talk about the Rx opioid proliferation.
    Yeah, yeah, yeah... that schit is scary. Many cities are gonna turn into zombie lands.
    IPA will save America

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    You can't go overboard on this stuff if you ask me. My attitude is zero alcohol is the right amount before driving. Someone just got killed on a neighborhood street this last weekend in San Anselmo. I've seen one too many people wobble out a bar in Fairfax and get in a car. This relaxed attitude is a real problem. I've seen the aftermath of a DUI with the perpetrator laying in a pool of blood under his flipped car -- luckily he was the only one injured, but it was brutal and worse than the HWY 9 roadie mishaps I've seen.

mtbr member
    Apr 2018
    You can't go overboard on this stuff if you ask me. My attitude is zero alcohol is the right amount before driving. Someone just got killed on a neighborhood street this last weekend in San Anselmo. I've seen one too many people wobble out a bar in Fairfax and get in a car. This relaxed attitude is a real problem. I've seen the aftermath of a DUI with the perpetrator laying in a pool of blood under his flipped car -- luckily he was the only one injured, but it was brutal and worse than the HWY 9 roadie mishaps I've seen.
    you're not wrong, and i think we're collectively talking past each other in the sense that maybe we assign/presume differing levels of competence/responsibility to the average individual.

it's a sad notion that folks are arguably/largely becoming less mature thereby ushering in more and more of a nanny state for the sake of 'safety'.

NRP
    mtbr member
    Sep 2015
    I don't see an equivalence of mountain biking and driving under the influence. Anyone who says that is just being hyperbolic.

My personal view of the difference is, if you choose to partake in a dangerous activity like mountain biking or rock climbing, you're really only putting yourself at risk. However, if you choose to drive while under the influence (even slightly), you're putting others at risk (in addition to yourself).

This is a tough issue to deal with, because regardless of the undeniable camaraderie and good times of sharing a post ride brew, the potential adverse consequences are high. Perhaps the best thing to do is just designate a driver/hauler? I don't drink, so I would totally volunteer to haul my buddies home if they wanted to have a few. Maybe that's just something the group can coordinate when setting up the ride?

There's gotta be a workable solution.

fc
    Quote Originally Posted by NRP View Post
    I don't see an equivalence of mountain biking and driving under the influence. Anyone who says that is just being hyperbolic.

My personal view of the difference is, if you choose to partake in a dangerous activity like mountain biking or rock climbing, you're really only putting yourself at risk. However, if you choose to drive while under the influence (even slightly), you're putting others at risk (in addition to yourself).

This is a tough issue to deal with, because regardless of the undeniable camaraderie and good times of sharing a post ride brew, the potential adverse consequences are high. Perhaps the best thing to do is just designate a driver/hauler? I don't drink, so I would totally volunteer to haul my buddies home if they wanted to have a few. Maybe that's just something the group can coordinate when setting up the ride?

There's gotta be a workable solution.
    I agree on the difference. But there's a parallel too in that we are adults and some can handle that responsibility with knowledge and control. To say that one cannot drive for the rest of the day after having one beer is a wee bit much.

Anyway, that's why I started these threads. There's a lot that has been learned and shared.
    IPA will save America

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    I'm actually not very much in favor of nanny state laws, ideally we don't need laws to stop drunk driving. I typically believe in less rules and think commonsense can solve our problems. The solution is easy, don't drink and drive or just wait many, many hours after drinking to drive. The issue is commonsense is not uncommon.

mtbr member
    It comes down to two things.

Knowing the consequences

Making a decision

mtbr member
    I got a DUI over 2 decades ago when I was 20. In many ways, I'm glad I did. I paid >$5k in lawyer and class fees and fines, spent several days in jail, and lost my license. It changed my outlook and life direction. I was drinking too much and not thinking of the consequences. The consequences are what sobered me up: how could I live with myself if I killed or maimed another, innocent, human due to my "fun"? I try not to be too preachy now, but it is doing the right thing to speak up when you see a friend or someone you can talk to headed to the car from the bar and interject to offer options. This thread is a real wake-up call: i need to enforce myself on post-ride burgers/pizza stops to have a 1 or 2-beer limit when I'm driving home. I've done a few 3-beer days and knew it was too much. Bad me! The thought of getting a DUI now with all I have going on now just makes me ill.

middle ring single track
    It comes down to two things.

Knowing the consequences

Making a decision
    Easy when sober.
    Content here does not officially represent the CA DPR.

Windows 10, destroying humanity one upgrade at a time.

mtbr member
    Mar 2018
    I'd be more concerned about the times i drove after taking and impact to the head rather than the two ipa's.... but i guess that's the law not logic for you.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    The new bad a$$ Marin DA is charging this guys with murder: https://www.marinij.com/2019/05/01/p...e-legal-limit/

Hella Olde
    Every time I open this thread I half-expect one of us to have chimed in with a "well, I just got one....."

mtbr member
    Sep 2017
    The new bad a$$ Marin DA is charging this guys with murder: https://www.marinij.com/2019/05/01/p...e-legal-limit/
    Good for them. Dude had two prior DUIs, and clearly doesn't have any remorse. If the message doesn't get through, deliver it differently.

The funny part for me is his BAC was 0.18, and he was saying he had one pilsner? Liar liar... Takes a special kind of stupid to think that would fly looking like him, no less with a drunk's criminal record.

the half breed devil
    Quote Originally Posted by rafekett View Post
    Good for them. Dude had two prior DUIs, and clearly doesn't have any remorse. If the message doesn't get through, deliver it differently.

The funny part for me is his BAC was 0.18, and he was saying he had one pilsner? Liar liar... Takes a special kind of stupid to think that would fly looking like him, no less with a drunk's criminal record.
    he killed one of the dogs, too.

GD sonofab!tch...

Air Pirate
    Charging this suspect with murder is probably not as much about the new Marin DA being a bad-ass and more about the common process of how these situations are pursued legally. The defense attorney statement in the IJ is complete and utter bullshit. Any DUI defense attorney knows how this works, he is just taking advantage of the platform of the press to make statements that paint his client as a victim of an overzealous DA.

In the process of California DUI law, there is something called a Watson Advisement. This is related to a California Supreme Court case that established what is called the Doctrine of Implied Malice. According to the article one of the arresting officers stated in the report: “There was malice aforethought when he operated the vehicle while intoxicated.” The Doctrine of Implied Malice is what the police officer is making a reference to in his report by making that statement. This doctrine basically says someone whose actions imply a reckless disregard for human life is just as guilty as someone who expressly says they don’t care if they kill someone.

Case law has established a legal standard applicable here...that in this case the prior convictions alone would be enough to prosecute the suspect for second degree murder as those prior convictions, plus the (per the IJ article) recently completed DUI class , has given the suspect the knowledge of the danger that DUI has to him and others. It has established that driving drunk with this knowledge of the danger is an intentional act that threatens another's life. The DA very easily could file and prosecute with this alone....

...but more than likely at one or both of his DUI convictions the court had the suspect sign a Watson Advisement form. This is a formal statement you must sign when convicted of DUI in most all of the courts in California, even for a first offense. Signing this says you understand that driving under the influence can injure or kill people. This statement also says it can be used against you if you ever cause a DUI accident in the future. The purpose of having the convicted party sign this form is to create a legal record that you are aware of the dangers of DUI to yourself and others.

Once this is signed, if the convicted person is involved in another DUI accident in the future that injures or kills someone they cannot claim they didn’t understand the consequences.

The wording of the Watson Advisement is:

"I understand that being under the influence of alcohol or drugs, or both, impairs my ability to safely operate a motor vehicle. I understand that it is extremely dangerous to human life to drive while under the influence of alcohol or drugs, or both. I understand that if I continue to drive while under the influence of alcohol or drugs, or both, and as a result of my driving, someone is killed, I can be charged with murder."

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Great info, it is crazy anyone would drink and drive again after signing that statement.

mtbr member

Once this is signed, if the convicted person is involved in another DUI accident in the future that injures or kills someone they cannot claim they didn’t understand the consequences.
    quote truncated

Great info but you'll now be summarily accused of fear mongering by the <.08% club

mtbr member
    May 2006
    I don't understand how a "reasonable person" could not understand the consequences of DUI in the first place. I mean, it's been decades now that this is common knowledge and it's a part of every driver's ed curriculum. Why should their responsibility or legal consequences be less for a first time offense simply by claiming they didn't understand the consequences?

mtbr member
    Oct 2016
    I don't understand how a "reasonable person" could not understand the consequences of DUI in the first place. I mean, it's been decades now that this is common knowledge and it's a part of every driver's ed curriculum. Why should their responsibility or legal consequences be less for a first time offense simply by claiming they didn't understand the consequences?
    Speeding, especially on city streets, is extremely dangerous. As is texting and driving and numerous other things that society generally thinks should be outlawed, but is still fairly socially acceptable. Having a few beers and driving home is still socially acceptable as well. So, when you have had a few beers and you need to make that judgement call on whether or not you are good to drive, your judgment isnt the best, and the last thing you are thinking about is hurting someone- you are ONLY thinking about getting at DUI.

The law takes human nature into account, as it should. A first time mistake by a person who is 99% likely to never repeat, is different than a 2nd or 3rd time mistake by someone who has proved they need a harsh enough penalty (or a large enough helpful intervention) to force a change in their lives.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Ok, I get that. What's interesting is that other offense related to illicit drug use or other crimes are not treated so tolerably.

How does one judge if someone is likely to repeat or not? Alcoholics, for example, are notoriously effective at "hiding their empties" for example. And that social acceptance of alcohol can blind people to a problem.

I wonder what the data is on percentage of people who repeat DUI and how that has changed with the introduction and enforcement of DUI's and what the consequences are. Or what the data shows on the ability to predict alcoholism if a person gets a DUI.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    I had two DUIs from 10 plus years ago. First off, I would advise your friend to try and drop the charge to wet reckless and eventually get it expunged (eligible after probation). Maybe this will help somewhat psychologically/emotionally.

Second, tell your friend and get this embedded in his head to never drink and drive again no matter how tempted. I know that is a premature thing to advise. I'll only speak from my personal experience. My first DUI was a slap on the wrist so that whole experience was a distant memory. Then a got my second DUI. I simply felt like the first never even happened so the drinking and driving continued.

I am all for stricter punishment for the first DUI. I'm glad the IID is required for the first DUI now. I feel like I would have learned my lesson with stricter punishment. The reality is that there are a lot of knuckle heads like how I was. I'm talking about "normal joes," not career drunks (whole different story) who never learn. I'm glad for my DUIs. I'm sure I would have continued drinking and driving had I not. Thinking back on how many times I've driven after drinking, I can only say I'm thankful I've never hurt anyone.

I will probably get resistance for saying this, but I feel like first offenders should spend two days in jail. I also believe there should be no gray area for drinking and driving. It should simply be illegal all together no matter what percentage. Yes, it is extreme and the majority of countries will allow a limit like what we have right now. And no, I don't lecture people about this when I see them drink a beer and then drive. I don't frown and act like I'm better. This is just my belief so if you drink a beer or two and I'm with you, I won't bust your balls when I see you get in the car and drive off.

If the government really cared about safety, they would be stricter. I guess its a start with the IED. DUIs are a money industry. Its a cash machine that the government and DUI lawyers love, yet we still have piece of s**t roads.

Financial Consequence & Inconvenience
    IID (Ignition Interlock Device): $$$ and embarrassing. **Imagine going on date for you single folks**
    DUI Classes: $$$
    Court Fines/Fees: $$$
    Suspended/Restricted License: Takes longer getting around. Dependent on others to get around.
    Insurance Premium: $$$ increase for 7-10 years
    Lawyer: $$$ if you decide to hire one.
    Record: I think its still 10 years. Commercial employers will see this when applying for jobs unless expunged. Govt jobs (I think) will see this for life.
    Whistler: Good Luck if your a repeat offender. First time offender, there is still a chance but would have go through a process asking for permission to enter Canada.This process would likely cost $$$ also I would assume.
    Prison: hurt/kill someone
    A spotless bike is a bored bike.

Impromptu Adventures
    DUI laws are so arbitrary and annoying. I'd rather get in the car with any mountain biker at .08 than some 90 year old grandparent falling asleep and running into everything while going the wrong way on the highway.

That being said, a sip more than 2 IPA in an hour after physical activity will pretty much always get you legally impaired if you're under 200 lbs.

Hella Olde
    They just relaunched Lucky Lager over the weekend (brewed by 21st Amendment in the Dro) at 4.2 ABV.

1 of those should be my limit.

fc
    Quote Originally Posted by MrRoboto View Post
    DUI laws are so arbitrary and annoying. I'd rather get in the car with any mountain biker at .08 than some 90 year old grandparent falling asleep and running into everything while going the wrong way on the highway.

That being said, 2 IPA in an hour after physical activity will pretty much always get you legally impaired if you're under 200 lbs.

The elderly driver issue is a big problem. A big, big problem that is about to get a whole lot worse.

My neighboorhood is filled with elderly drivers since they live out their later years in their original houses. Some can barely walk, see, hear. My parents are 80 and man, it's getting bad. It is a VERY easy problem to solve, just do annual driving tests as folks lose their motor capacities. But it will probably not happen in our lifetime, because the lawmakers are elderly.

One saving grace is a lot of elderly drivers don't go in the freeway or just drive painfully slow. Imagine if that happened. 15 mph.........

The other one is drowsy/fatigued driving. And texting.
    IPA will save America

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Many seniors are out of their minds on opioids too. My mom lived in a senior neighborhood in Sonoma and it was like bumper cars up there.

I'm really diggin it!
    I just flew a red eye and drove home. They say it’s the same as driving impaired. And I’m sober. Take that, puritans!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Air Pirate
    The elderly driver issue is a big problem. A big, big problem that is about to get a whole lot worse.

My neighboorhood is filled with elderly drivers since they live out their later years in their original houses. Some can barely walk, see, hear. My parents are 80 and man, it's getting bad. It is a VERY easy problem to solve, just do annual driving tests as folks lose their motor capacities. But it will probably not happen in our lifetime, because the lawmakers are elderly.

One saving grace is a lot of elderly drivers don't go in the freeway or just drive painfully slow. Imagine if that happened. 15 mph.........

There are laws in place in the California Vehicle Code that address the issue of elderly drivers. It seems they change more often than needed (depending, in my opinion, on the influence of certain types of politicians in the assembly/senate) but they are intended to keep the roads safe from motorists that cannot safely operate a motor vehicle due to age-related issues without being discriminatory.

CVC section 12814.5 (c) require mandatory in-person visits to a local DMV office for drivers at age 70. This ensures retest and vision test.

Beside this screening, California is one of the few states with laws that require medical professionals to report to DMV when they make a diagnoses of certain medical issue in the elderly, such as Alzheimer's.

Law enforcement also must notify DMV when they deal with elderly drivers of a certain age who are involved in vehicle collisions or are cited for certain moving violations. Law enforcement will also, at the discretion of the officer, notify DMV to re-examine any driver an officer suspects may have an issue with operating a motor vehicle safely due to age-related health or functional issues, even if not cited for a violation.

Other restrictions that may be given to elderly drivers may be not to drive on freeways/highways, no driving at night, etc. Restrictions and suspensions/revocations may be appealed but they are difficult to fight.

That said, the laws in place as well as FC's suggestion of mandatory yearly retesting really do not/will not do much to stop the issue of dangerous elderly drivers. In my experience many drivers who get their license restricted or revoked due to age-related issues continue driving anyway. If they still have access to a motor vehicle they simply don't stop just because DMV says they have to. Some of the more interesting vehicle stops and accident investigations I dealt with back in the day were from drivers who were elderly driving unlicensed. Some were repeat offenders...they just kept going, doing what they wanted.

fc
    Many seniors are out of their minds on opioids too. My mom lived in a senior neighborhood in Sonoma and it was like bumper cars up there.
    Freakin-A. In my neighborhood, I see my ex-neighbors check the mail, they can hardly walk. Then we chat. They can hardly hear. Wonderful folks.

But then they drive, every week, with really diminishing capacity. I'm sure this is not isolated.

Testing is needed and laws are needed for this growing epidemic.

I mean I even feel it at 50+ and the driving degradation from my prime. Just imagine me/you at 90 years old, cruising.
    IPA will save America

Air Pirate
    Freakin-A. In my neighborhood, I see my ex-neighbors check the mail, they can hardly walk. Then we chat. They can hardly hear. Wonderful folks.

But then they drive, every week, with really diminishing capacity. I'm sure this is not isolated.

Testing is needed and laws are needed for this growing epidemic.

I mean I even feel it at 50+ and the driving degradation from my prime. Just imagine me/you at 90 years old, cruising.
    No it is not isolated. Yes it is a big safety issue.

I recall several instances where an elderly driver who should not have been driving injured or killed themselves or someone else and a family member or neighbor stated they felt they should have said something to someone (DMV, law enforcement, etc.) but it was now too late and they felt responsible.

Hey, it's a safety issue happening in your neighborhood? Neighbors at risk? You? Your family?

Feel free to turn them in....completely confidential...

fc
    No it is not isolated. Yes it is a big safety issue.

I recall several instances where an elderly driver who should not have been driving injured or killed themselves or someone else and a family member or neighbor stated they felt they should have said something to someone (DMV, law enforcement, etc.) but it was now too late and they felt responsible.

Hey, it's a safety issue happening in your neighborhood? Neighbors at risk? You? Your family?

Feel free to turn them in....completely confidential...
    Right on, thank you for that. Right now, the responsibility rests on the families to take away the keys. So awful as it's so random and rifts develop within clans.

My favorite story is when a family could not take grandpas keys away so they put the car on blocks. Grandpa tried to drive and leave for a week and could not. And could not figure out why.

Anyway, not the end of the world but something that we cyclists/etc should be concerned about and try to affect change.
    IPA will save America

middle ring single track
    Two reasons self-driving cars will become the real deal; to transport the elderly and to transport the drunks.

In the USA in general and in especially in California if you can't drive you are a 3rd rate citizen.

Suburbia forces those that shouldn't drive to have to drive.

I'm rural so when my golden years start to tarnish I'll really be in a pickle.

I just safely drove my Medicare ass to a regular doctor checkup; 15 miles one way. Urgent care is 5 miles if I ever needed it. Specialists??? 50 to 80 miles one way.

My dad was 86 when he handed me his keys and said "the truck's yours now; please try to available when I need to go shopping or visit the doctor". Which I was for the final 4 years of his life.
    Content here does not officially represent the CA DPR.

Windows 10, destroying humanity one upgrade at a time.

mtbr member

The distracted driver issues greatly outnumber elderly driver issues on any given day.

BTW did you intentionally misspell neighborhood? That's elder abuse!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Moe Ped View Post
    Two reasons self-driving cars will become the real deal; to transport the elderly and to transport the drunks.

In the USA in general and in especially in California if you can't drive you are a 3rd rate citizen.

Suburbia forces those that shouldn't drive to have to drive.

I'm rural so when my golden years start to tarnish I'll really be in a pickle.

I just safely drove my Medicare ass to a regular doctor checkup; 15 miles one way. Urgent care is 5 miles if I ever needed it. Specialists??? 50 to 80 miles one way.

My dad was 86 when he handed me his keys and said "the truck's yours now; please try to available when I need to go shopping or visit the doctor". Which I was for the final 4 years of his life.

Loved the story about your dad

I would use caution with the assumption that a self-driving cars can be used if you're over the limit - as you're still "operating a motor vehicle"

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    The all senior neighborhood I mentioned in Sonoma is not near anything of course, so the seniors pretty much all have to drive. The way we've designed our towns make cars a necessity.

fc
    I just saw a docuseries in Sardinia. People walk and live, and thrive to 100 yrs old.
    IPA will save America

Hella Olde
    I just saw a docuseries in Sardinia. People walk and live, and thrive to 100 yrs old.
    Saw that too - more (Sardinian grape) wine!

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Olive oil and red wine are magic -- plus all the walking.

Up In Smoke
    Walking? Ever been to Costco? People will sit and wait 10 minutes to get a close parking space instead of parking in the back and "walking"...and why walk, when you could ride a lime scooter?

mtbr member
    May 2006
    I've watched those videos, too. Always impressed at the way those people can hold their own with cops, keep their cool, and not freak out or yell.

This looks ridiculous but it led me down the fascinating YT rabbit hole of 'Cops Getting Owned By Citizens Who Know Their Rights'. Never gets old. It must suck to be an honest, ethical, LEO these days with so many arrogant jock bullies on the force.

mtbr member
    Apr 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by Train Wreck View Post
    Walking? Ever been to Costco? People will sit and wait 10 minutes to get a close parking space instead of parking in the back and "walking"...and why walk, when you could ride a lime scooter?
    Welcome to Cost I Love You.

Name:  thumb_welcome-to-costco-love-you-uickrmeme-com-saturday-memes-48639624.png
Views: 116
Size:  38.4 KB

MarkyMark
    Did he tell you why he talked to the officer? Did he offer up the # of drinks he had? It doesn't sound like he was pulled over due to driving erratically (i.e., a reason).

My buddy who got the DUI said he looked and felt fine. He stopped on the road to take a leak. And that's when the conversation with po-po started.

fc
    Quote Originally Posted by MarkMass View Post
    Did he tell you why he talked to the officer? Did he offer up the # of drinks he had? It doesn't sound like he was pulled over due to driving erratically (i.e., a reason).
    Stopped on a hidden inlet on the freeway to take a leak. Cop car was camped in there.
    IPA will save America

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Stopped on a hidden inlet on the freeway to take a leak. Cop car was camped in there.
    They don't like it when you pee on their tires...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12