The NorCal MTB Commute- Mtbr.com
    Moderator Moderator

The NorCal MTB Commute

Anybody know/ride with this guy? He's doing it right.

Who here commutes on a MTB? And hits singletrack along the way?

https://www.outsideonline.com/2394801/san-francisco-bike-commute

mtbr member
    That man needs a cross bike! Pretty cool though. Mr. Crash on here (Mike Solis) commutes on dirt almost every day.

I've got a 50mi commute I do twice a week, and singletrack is definitely hit when the road bike isn't in play.

mtb'er
    Nice! Name rings a bell. An SBTS guy? Maybe just a familiar Downieville racer name.

In the early 90's I was able to commute from the Oakland hills through Redwood and Canyon on dirt, then pavement through Moraga to Orinda. It was fun while it lasted. Then I moved.

Up In Smoke
    I traded my 15 mile commute with single track for a 1.5 mile ocean view commute. I do ride a MTB though, because its my loaner bike and the only bike I have with flat pedals.

mtbr member
    This has been a dream of mine, as a road bike commuter in the Bay Area. It's cool to see someone who has pieced it together, and the tradeoffs and mostly unglamorous trails he's made work for him on a daily basis.

More singletrack commutes from around the world:
    https://forums.mtbr.com/commuting/do...k-1070574.html

Trail Rider
    Feb 2017
    Just met Chris at Sea Otter. Very Rad Dude™

mtbr member
    Must be nice to work part time hours and start work at 10am...

Moderator Moderator
    I make my commute from Palo Alto through Arastradero, up Alpine Rd and around Russian Ridge back down to downtown Palo Alto. It's the long way around, but worth it.

mtbr member
    I used to live in SF and work in Marin so I would commute by ferry. When I worked night shift after work I would pile on the ferry with everyone going to work in SF. I used to get a lot of strange looks in my scrubs, drinking beers at 8am.
    I'm sick of all the Irish stereotypes, as soon as I finish this beer I"m punching someone

Hella Olde
    Quote Originally Posted by sfgiantsfan View Post
    I used to live in SF and work in Marin so I would commute by ferry. When I worked night shift after work I would pile on the ferry with everyone going to work in SF. I used to get a lot of strange looks in my scrubs, drinking beers at 8am.
    HAHA awesome. I did the San Rafael - SF Hunter's Point commute using Larkspur ferry for awhile. Salty fun times.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by 5k bike 50cent legs View Post
    I make my commute from Palo Alto through Arastradero, up Alpine Rd and around Russian Ridge back down to downtown Palo Alto. It's the long way around, but worth it.
    lol, your commute echoes your profile pic

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    Nevada City - I commute nearly every day by mountain bike, on 90% single track. True bliss!

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    That is a lot of painful pavement and fire road riding for a full squish. The little fun section he talks about is the Alta cutoff in the headlands - there * is * a fun little bit with a cool drop and some rocks and such, but it's all over in about 10 seconds. From there I'd rather poach some Headlands, drop back down into Sausalito and take the ferry

Moderator Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by b rock View Post
    lol, your commute echoes your profile pic
    LOL! Yeah, it's call the 'go around your ass to get to your elbow' route. Anybody from the South will recognize that little gem.

mtbr member
    Sep 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by nilswalk View Post
    That is a lot of painful pavement and fire road riding for a full squish. The little fun section he talks about is the Alta cutoff in the headlands - there * is * a fun little bit with a cool drop and some rocks and such, but it's all over in about 10 seconds. From there I'd rather poach some Headlands, drop back down into Sausalito and take the ferry
    That cutoff is a poach anyway... I'm not sure why he wouldn't take the fun way down to the bridge after that instead of going down Bobcat. Maybe that's his real route and he didn't want to blow up his spot in Outside Magazine :P

Professional Troll
    A nice. I talked to Chris about this one time. Cool dude.

Rides all the bikes!
    When I first started bike commuting, it was 32 miles to work, leaving at 2:15am. Then a 10 mile ride to the train station at 1. And another 10 miles home from the train drop off (unless I rode the whole way). That was all road, I didn't ride dirt back then, nor really had the option to in that area.

Now my commute is 19 miles each way, nearly flat. Still no dirt though.

Quote Originally Posted by redmr2_man View Post
    That man needs a cross bike! Pretty cool though. Mr. Crash on here (Mike Solis) commutes on dirt almost every day.
    I vaguely remember Mike from BARF. I say vaguely because I haven't lived in the area in 10+ years, and don't ride motorpickles much anymore.