Norcal Coronavirus poll - Page 2- Mtbr.com
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    ^ That's a good observation! It's kinda like L.A. being east of Tahoe.
    "I will absolutely apologize hopefully sometime in the distant future if I'm ever wrong." ~ Donnie Bonespurs

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    I agree it is weird how Mammoth is considered SoCal since it is north of San Jose. I think Bay Area people must prefer big crowds and traffic since they go to Tahoe. Much better and bigger mountains in Mammoth as well.

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    Hahah it's mountains. Like "mountain biking".

Mammoth is in a valley which leads practically directly to LA. Even the water there is piped to LA. It's about a 5 hour drive in good conditions. You pass maybe one small ski area along the way.

While it's directly east of the SF Bay, you have to cross one big and a few small ranges to get there from here. It's a 5.5 hour drive minimum, and you pass right by at least one and are close to many more good ski areas at the 3 hour point, so most people will just stop there.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by SS Hack View Post
    I agree it is weird how Mammoth is considered SoCal since it is north of San Jose. I think Bay Area people must prefer big crowds and traffic since they go to Tahoe. Much better and bigger mountains in Mammoth as well.
    I think it is designated a SoCal place because most people that go there are from SoCal because it is easier to get to from SoCal. The 120 pass is closed during the winter, so to get there from NorCal you have to go to Tahoe and then south or down to Bakersfield and then north in the winter which is a really long trek. Even in summer it isn't easy to get to from NorCal. 120 pass going through the Yosemite crowds on a two lane road is slow going.

Log off and go ride!
    Jul 2003
    The boundary between Norcal and SoCal is Chico. frisco is just an overrated LA ghetto suburb and everything south of Chico is unfit for human habitation.

This should get a flame war going!
    Do not take anything I post seriously. I don't.

Up In Smoke
    Clearly the state needs to be split in two

Hella Olde
    Quote Originally Posted by dave54 View Post
    The boundary between Norcal and SoCal is Chico. frisco is just an overrated LA ghetto suburb and everything south of Chico is unfit for human habitation.

Chico is the hot, puckered, itchy, ass-end of the Cascadian Meth region.

middle ring single track
    Quote Originally Posted by DH40 View Post
    Hot, puckered and itchy but willing.
    Content here does not officially represent the CA DPR.

Windows 10, destroying humanity one upgrade at a time.

Log off and go ride!
    Jul 2003
    Agree. But it is the dividing line.
    You can include Chico in socal if you want, and make the real boundary Vina. That is still south of me.

Log off and go ride!
    Jul 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by Train Wreck View Post
    Clearly the state needs to be split in two
    Yes. But really an east-west split, not north-south.
    The coastal counties from marin to sandy eggo should be their own state. < check that -- their own planet!> The rest of the state can stay together and be sane and sensible.

We can negotiate over Excremento. The loser has to take it.

mtbr member
    Sep 2018
    I can't wait to live in Southern Northern California. Or Northern Southern California. Where would the cut off be?

middle ring single track

State of Jefferson

Norcal Coronavirus poll-724px-state_of_jefferson_map.svg.png

Chico for sure, maybe Tahoe too.

Log off and go ride!
    Jul 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by Moe Ped View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	724px-State_of_Jefferson_Map.svg.png 
Views:	53 
Size:	129.5 KB 
ID:	1322867

Chico for sure, maybe Tahoe too.
    Lassen and Modoc want to join Nevada. They were considered part of Nevada, until the legally defined state line was officially surveyed.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    TMI award for the first week in April.
    Should I discuss our toliet paper issue here?
    Mountain bikers that don't road ride have no legs
    Road bikers that don't mountain bike have no soul.

J

middle ring single track
    Quote Originally Posted by jeph View Post
    Should I discuss our toliet paper issue here?
    Sure. But if you're looking for the weekly award wait until tomorrow.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    My family only goes to Mammoth in the summer and it does take about 5.5 hours, we hardly ever take 120 because of the crowds. We take another lesser traveled route with great camping and complete freedom on the way -- never mind the great fishing. Not sure if we'll make it this year -- might be a camping only kind of year in our secret camping spot.

Hella Olde
    Quote Originally Posted by SS Hack View Post
    My family only goes to Mammoth in the summer and it does take about 5.5 hours, we hardly ever take 120 because of the crowds. We take another lesser traveled route with great camping and complete freedom on the way -- never mind the great fishing. Not sure if we'll make it this year -- might be a camping only kind of year in our secret camping spot.
    Yeah Sonora Pass rules! I love that road. Too bad the gnarly Donnell fire took out the Dardanelle resort a couple years back. There are so many cool pull-offs and forest roads and streams to explore up there. PCT at the summit. I used to travel it every Fall en route to the Mammoth gravity games, Maybe you are talking about another road, however.

mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    If you're going to go to the trouble of posting something, try to be original and don't just copy what they have on their city limit sign.

Regardless, at least they have Sierra Nevada beer, Bidwell Park, and the Madison Bear Garden bar!
    "I will absolutely apologize hopefully sometime in the distant future if I'm ever wrong." ~ Donnie Bonespurs

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    We take 108 and there are so many fire roads with fantastic camping right of the road. It was sad the resort got leveled. HWY 4 can be fun too, it takes a bit longer. I hope the travel restrictions are relaxed by the summer. My kids have been camping since they were two and have never been to a campground and we've never paid a penny to camp.

mtbr member
    This is interesting. The idea that CV showed up in the Bay Area as late as February has never made sense to me.

https://www.ksbw.com/article/new-stu...id-19/32073873

Up In Smoke
    Quote Originally Posted by TheMachinist View Post
    This is interesting. The idea that CV showed up in the Bay Area as late as February has never made sense to me.
    Yeah, where are the mass casualties?

middle ring single track

https://www.ksbw.com/article/new-stu...id-19/32073873
    Maybe we gave it to the Chinese???

(I had a weird "chest cold" late last year that I didn't think too much of---came and went quickly)

mtbr member
    Sep 2018
    If it was in the Bay Area last fall then it would have spread throughout the country by New Years. Lots of business travelers coming and going and plenty of transplants heading home for the holidays.

I can't wait for people to quote this article out of context, though. "Oh, well Stanford researchers think it's possible that Covid-19 was here for six months before this became an issue so clearly it's totally safe to reopen the economy now!"

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by sa12 View Post
    If it was in the Bay Area last fall then it would have spread throughout the country by New Years. Lots of business travelers coming and going and plenty of transplants heading home for the holidays.

I can't wait for people to quote this article out of context, though. "Oh, well Stanford researchers think it's possible that Covid-19 was here for six months before this became an issue so clearly it's totally safe to reopen the economy now!"
    You sound sure about that. Are you an expert or just watch the news? We just don't know how long people have been exposed so I welcome the research results. I give more cred to Stanford researchers than what the talking heads spew on the evening news.

mtbr member
    Sep 2018
    I'm not really sure what you're disagreeing with, so I'll clarify:

My beef is with the reporting and the article itself. Reporting on how researchers are doing their job is kinda silly, right? Like, researchers exist to do research. This is not news. If the researchers discover something noteworthy then fantastic...I'm definitely interested in hearing the results. But until then I think they should be left alone so they can get their work done without being pestered by the media.

More to the point - reporting on this now, while the research is still in progress, leaves the door open for our anti-science administration to pull the quotes out of context and claim on national TV that the virus definitely arrived in California half a year ago, and clearly nothing horrible has happened so we should just cancel all this "social distancing" stuff and get back to work, or some nonsense like that.

And I do think that if this arrived in California six months ago that it would have spread nationwide by EOY. There's so much business travel to/from SF and LA.

fc
    head minion Administrator
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BE-cA4UK07c

Really insightful as South Korea handles the first offensive of this war. They are a model for this world.

There will be many more Covid-19 battles/offensives before this is over IMHO.
    IPA will save America

fc
    Really good day by day graph of cause of death in the US. Folks could see this as early as 2 months ago. But it is very hard to convince ones that think data and science are optional.

https://public.flourish.studio/visualisation/1712761

And even though it is bad now. The key is to always 'see where is it going?'
    IPA will save America

mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    ^^ That puts it into perspective really well, thanks.

Hella Olde
    Quote Originally Posted by fc View Post
    Really good day by day graph of cause of death in the US. Folks could see this as early as 2 months ago. But it is very hard to convince ones that think data and science are optional.

That is a very cool presentation, but they haven't been testing dead people for C19. They can onlt record the deaths of known C19 patient. I still feel there have been many thousands of unreported C19 deaths and exponentially more unknown 'recoveries'. Since testing has finally begun in earnest, we will certainly know more in the future.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Great graph FC!

Weird huh?
    Quote Originally Posted by fc View Post

I hadn't seen that one - thanks for posting that.

El Cid is Spanish for The Cid..
    cmdrpiffle • 7 points •1 day ago
    Cinco de Mayo is Spanish for Cinco de Mayo

mtbr member
    Anyone see or hear anything about hwy 5 “shutting down” later this month? No idea what that means, or if it has to do with covid19. But saw a digital message this morning on 101S somewhere between San Jose and Gilroy. Couldn’t find anything with a quick google search. But it definitely read something like, “I-5 will be closed from April 2x to xx”

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by RBoardman View Post
    Anyone see or hear anything about hwy 5 “shutting down” later this month? No idea what that means, or if it has to do with covid19. But saw a digital message this morning on 101S somewhere between San Jose and Gilroy. Couldn’t find anything with a quick google search. But it definitely read something like, “I-5 will be closed from April 2x to xx”
    https://www.dailynews.com/carmageddo...hours-in-april

mtbr member
    Yes, that must be it. I just didn’t think there would be a sign on 101 in the Bay Area for roadwork on I-5 in LA.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Today got me thinking, while I’m not a big fan of tip jars, they are commonly found at coffee shops but, I haven’t seen one at grocery store. Seems like I’d be more inclined to tip a grocery store worker than a barista or bartender these days.

mtbr member
    Sep 2018
    Money is one of the dirtiest things in existence, so I doubt that anyone really wants to handle paper/coins any more than they absolutely have to.

But I do agree with the idea. I do plan to contribute to a local fund of some sort electronically at some point.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Agreed, I was referring to the theoretical tip jar. It will also be interesting to see if teachers become more appreciated leading to increased compensation.

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by Hel Mot View Post
    Agreed, I was referring to the theoretical tip jar. It will also be interesting to see if teachers become more appreciated leading to increased compensation.
    Lol, yeah right. They will likely be taking pay cuts. Funding is based on a percentage of the california general fund. That budget is gonna be much smaller after this is all said and done.

fc
    Hope so! One good thing is some less glamorous jobs have turned out to be the more stable ones now
    IPA will save America

fc
    Cash is not king these days. What’s the procedure for cleaning money?
    IPA will save America

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Let the money sit, time will do the work.

Hella Olde
    Horrifying and amusing tale of the drummer from SF's Death Angel surviving C19 in a 12 day coma and heart failure. I have met Will a few times and he is super-tight with some very close friends of mine.........

https://www.decibelmagazine.com/2020...-going-to-die/

Up In Smoke
    Is it safe to visit my mom on sunday?

Up In Smoke
    A lot of stuff is opening up today and sure enough....

Cases are on the rise here in MoCo, they're reporting the second highest daily rise in cases.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    certainly we know more than a month or two ago. Lots more empirical data, though most of it from Europe or asia. Too bad Amemika is devolving into a 3rd world nation.

I like this link that Yuba expeditions posted
    https://www.sltrib.com/news/2020/05/23/your-guide-how/

Science is a good thing. But, I guess we can beat log drums until it goes away.

J
    Mountain bikers that don't road ride have no legs
    Road bikers that don't mountain bike have no soul.

J

mtbr member
    Horrifying and amusing tale of the drummer from SF's Death Angel surviving C19 in a 12 day coma and heart failure. I have met Will a few times and he is super-tight with some very close friends of mine.........

https://www.decibelmagazine.com/2020...-going-to-die/
    Cool. So you know a douchebag that used local notoriety at SFO to skirt safety measures for his own benefit. He and others knew they were sick and didn't care coming back home. Glad you have super-tight and very close friends that know him..

mtbr member
    #scamdemic

mtbr member
    2 million people in the United States have tested positive for COVID. That sounds like a big number until you realize that that's 0.6% of the population.

My suspicion is that many, many more have actually had it with mild to no symptoms at all. We won't have any real answers for a long time to come. This is why I'm not going to blindly believe in any current 'science' on this thing. Wear a mask in public indoor spaces as a courtesy to the people around you. Otherwise, it's time to get on with our lives.

mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    ^^ Yeah, but 116,000 people have died so far, about 700 more each day now. That's pretty significant. And we're still in the early stages. The percentages don't matter too much if it's you--or your grandma--that gets really sick. One of the problems is that lots of folks are getting on with their lives, but aren't wearing masks or taking proper precautions. Cases have spiked in CA, Texas, Florida, etc. after reopening.

mtbr member
    Mar 2019
    In other news an average of 3200 people die each day from traffic accidents. Shit lets ban all cars and motorcycles. This is just ridiculous

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Vin829 View Post
    In other news an average of 3200 people die each day from traffic accidents. Shit lets ban all cars and motorcycles. This is just ridiculous
    Umm, it’s around 100 per day (averages around 35k per year) and last time I checked car crashes aren’t contagious.

middle ring single track
    That's a worldwide maybe number for daily vehicle deaths; at the first peak in April around 8000 people were dying daily worldwide from COVID-19. Currently running at around 5K.

Taking precautions like wearing masks is bit like using seat belts or wearing helmets.

mtbr member
    Mar 2019
    That's a worldwide maybe number for daily vehicle deaths; at the first peak in April around 8000 people were dying daily worldwide from COVID-19. Currently running at around 5K.

Taking precautions like wearing masks is bit like using seat belts or wearing helmets.
    Your right sorry I stand correct. That was worldwide

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Also keep in mind we’ve had over 100k deaths WITH the lock downs in place. Hard to prove a negative, but if we had blown it off, fatalities would likely be much, much higher. Doesn’t really matter at this point. Based on what I’m seeing most people aren’t wearing masks or distancing anymore. We are going to find out what it looks like without mitigation in the next couple of months. Don’t think it will be pretty.

mtbr member
    Keep believing all the padded numbers they are showing us. Lambs

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by CHROMAG19 View Post
    Keep believing Fox News. Sheep.

mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    Okay, I'll bite.

Who is the "they" that are feeding us false numbers? The same folks telling us that vaccines are good? Do they also control the chem trails?!

I thought a refresh on this might be helpful: https://public.flourish.studio/visualisation/1894638/

mtbr member
    Jul 2018
    So, do you think AZ hospitals are activating their emergency response plans for giggles? I'm sure they just do that every once in a while 'cause it's fun and educational. Or, maybe they've noticed an alarming increase in admissions to their ICUs related to an especially contagious respiratory disease.

mtbr member
    Sep 2018
    I'm just happy that the scientists' suggestions to shelter in place and wear masks and practice social distancing have been successful enough that the more "enlightened" keyboard warriors of the world can claim that this situation is being overblown by the media, and that the scientists don't know what they're doing. Imagine what the world would be like if the scientists actually didn't know what they were doing. Oy.

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    This thing is real.
    Do not deny it.

It can mess up your heart and lungs. We don't yet know if that's for months or forever. I know multiple people who've been unable to do hard exercise for months now.

It can do worse, mess up your nerves, even kill you, though if you're a mountain biker you're probably at low risk for the most severe things. (Though if you're in the 'i workout so hard i get a-fib a lot' category, i'd be worried.)

We have learned things over the past few months. But so many people are set in their ways, or just follow some leader who probably has an axe to grind with some other leader rather than care about their followers.

What we know:
    * It can seriously mess up healthy people.
    * It spreads via droplets and maybe aresols. Certainly in the air and maybe touching things which have been exposed.
    * It's not going away unless we get a vaccine. Which is a maybe, and safely only years away.
    * We have better emergency care protocols now, but don't seem to have any sort of real 'treatments' other than 'keep the patient doing ok and let them heal'. There's some experiments but none really have worked yet. Hopefully one will soon!

So:
    * As much as you can stay away from other people. A mountain bike ride in the woods is a great way to do that!
    * If you have to be close to other people, wear a mask. Most especially indoors. It may protect you a bit, but mostly protects other people 'from' you in case you are at a point where you can transmit it to others--you might not even know that!
    * But don't freak out if you happen to pass by someone closely. Passing a hiker outside? Low risk for both of you. Not zero, but not OMG freakout risk either.

We're gonna have to live with this for a while. Neither ignoring it or freaking out about it will help us get through it as much as understanding how it works and trying to keep everyone healthy but also engaged in work and play and such.

NRP
    mtbr member
    Sep 2015
    You won’t convince those who are inclined to believe it’s all a conspiracy theory.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by NRP View Post
    You won’t convince those who are inclined to believe it’s all a conspiracy theory.
    This, unfortunately, is a fact.

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    Indeed. Scariest thing is that people have been threatening doctors.

"Doctor, I'm sick help me." "Will try... we've checked your symtpoms and tested you and you have covid-19" "screw you doc you're part of the hoax i'm gonna hurt you now".

mtbr member
    Sounds like those fools are taking a page from the people out there looting and rioting.

Hoolie Ghoulie on Strava.
    Sep 2010
    Testing is not being strategically applied. By Christmas 2022, we MAY have tested all CA residents. Thats 3 Christmases away. This may be over by then. Testing needs to be ramped up, as they are only doing 55,000 (?) per day, I think, according to CA.Gov. All of my t-shirt necks are being stretched out, as I use t-shirt mask to walk to my truck in the morning. Hahaha. I use real mask out in public.
    Buy American, save lives. (Tough for cyclists)

mtbr member
    Aug 2019
    We'll never really know if we overreacted to corona, only if we underreacted. Hopefully the latter isn't how it shakes out.

Ride On!
    Agree. But it is the dividing line.
    You can include Chico in socal if you want, and make the real boundary Vina. That is still south of me.

Dang, have not seen Chico get this much attention on MTBR. I lived up in Chico for quite a bit of my life and got my degrees from Chico State. Great place to live, Bidwell Park is a great place to ride and as the locals say, if you can ride Upper Bidwell Park, you can ride anywhere. I have to agree with that to some extent.

Now back to the topic... I agree that California needs to be split up, I grew up in SoCal (Culver City) and left for the Army back in '84, lived in Norcal ever since. There is NO way in HELL I would ever move back down there! I live in El Dorado County right now and the State Of Jefferson signs are posted quite a bit throughout the area. I am considering getting a bumper sticker and going to an SOJ meeting once they start up again after the SIP order is lifted. Thinking it will be interesting/entertaining to see what the folks are about.

Paper or plastic?
    Quote Originally Posted by AJAtlas102 View Post
    For anyone too stupid to figure out this is an utter hoax I say **** 'em, let 'em choke on their own CO2 and suffer the consequences.
    Wow, you're clearly the brilliant mind. Thanks for enlightening us...

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk
    Faster is not always better, but it's always more fun

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Coronavirus and Antibody tests are now both readily available but since Coronavirus is a hoax and the tests aren't accurate enough none of us should get them done. We all just need to drive to the trailhead and sit around spitting in each others faces then share beers and 420 bro.

https://www.sfchronicle.com/health/a...y-15136054.php

mtbr member
    Sep 2018
    MAGA rallygoers must agree not to sue Trump or his companies if they attend his rally and become infected by a hoax disease that's been overblown by the media.

https://www.wusa9.com/article/news/h...5-25fa3aba025a

Log off and go ride!
    Jul 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by hoolie View Post
    Testing is not being strategically applied. By Christmas 2022, we MAY have tested all CA residents. Thats 3 Christmases away. This may be over by then.....
    Ha! By then a new virus will have evolved and we will have to do it all over again.

Some day we will all fondly look back on 2020 as the 'good old days'.

middle ring single track
    I'd like to thank the moderators for cleaning up this thread.

mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by notsendy View Post
    So, do you think AZ hospitals are activating their emergency response plans for giggles? I'm sure they just do that every once in a while 'cause it's fun and educational. Or, maybe they've noticed an alarming increase in admissions to their ICUs related to an especially contagious respiratory disease.

-BOOM. AZ is blowing up right now.... And the dumbasses goin' out to Mill St. & all over Scottsdale are butt's ta nut's packed-in. ZERO social distancing happening.

So much for April Heat coming in and wiping it out like the Flu..... Listen to Science kids.
    "There's two kinds of people in this world - Walkers and Talkers." Which one are you?

mtbr member
    Nov 2013

Log off and go ride!
    Jul 2003
    I was lamenting missing my annual trip to Mammoth last year and was fiddling around with the latitude of the place and noticed that it is pretty much due east of somewhere in the Sharpe Park golf course in Pacifica, or the San Bruno Jail if that;s a more well-known landmark to some f you shifty types on here. Strange how most people think it's in SoCal and it's usually only discussed in the SoCal forum.
    Because it is southern California. The entire frisco region is just an overrated LA suburb.

mtbr member
    Jan 2020
    Maybe, for a change, instead of putting down other areas you could tell us some of the things that make your hamlet so nice.

mtbr member
    Yep this thing is real, and it should be taken seriously by everybody

https://www.theatlantic.com/health/a...months/612679/

Life's a Garden, dig it!
    Okay... How did I miss this gem? ;0
    "And crawling on the planet's face, some insects called, The Human Race..."

mtbr member
    Sep 2015
    Covid-19 is ripping thru the office i transferred from. my friends have it and those that feel fine are lining up at the testing stations. one of my friends that caught it has high BP and wild Diabetes. he isnt healthy looking on the best days. i wish him the best.

my wife is a Public health nurse. the look on her face, her body language when she comes home, is telling me a story the HIPA Laws wont allow her to tell me with her voice. i know something drastic happened when she started talking her clothing off in the garage and heading straight for the shower.

i still continue to do the best i can to protect myself and the ones around me that can suck in my spit-mist when i say those Pesky P words.
    Santa Cruz 5010 C
    Surly Crosscheck.

Life's a Garden, dig it!
    Quote Originally Posted by Boomchakabowwow View Post
    Covid-19 is ripping thru the office i transferred from. my friends have it and those that feel fine are lining up at the testing stations. one of my friends that caught it has high BP and wild Diabetes. he isnt healthy looking on the best days. i wish him the best.

my wife is a Public health nurse. the look on her face, her body language when she comes home, is telling me a story the HIPA Laws wont allow her to tell me with her voice. i know something drastic happened when she started talking her clothing off in the garage and heading straight for the shower.

i still continue to do the best i can to protect myself and the ones around me that can suck in my spit-mist when i say those Pesky P words.
    Hang in there, Bud! Pesky P words behind a mask should be safe...

middle ring single track
    I have about a dozen "friends" (some are relatives!) on FB that are "hoaxers"; I've been sorely tempted to unfriend some of them but that would be a bit like unfriending somebody because they're Christian.

I have not yet imagined a way to have a dialog with these sorts of people; any suggestions?

(Are most hoaxers Christian??? Most of them also believe in a man whose name rhymes with "dump")

Life's a Garden, dig it!
    I have about a dozen "friends" (some are relatives!) on FB that are "hoaxers"; I've been sorely tempted to unfriend some of them but that would be a bit like unfriending somebody because they're Christian.

I have not yet imagined a way to have a dialog with these sorts of people; any suggestions?

(Are most hoaxers Christian??? Most of them also believe in a man whose name rhymes with "dump")
    As difficult as it is, it's best to ignore. Stay safe, stay sane.

NRP
    mtbr member
    Sep 2015

You can always “unfollow” if you can’t “unfriend”.

mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    "God gave us our relatives. Thank god we can choose our friends."

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ripn View Post
    Keep believing Fox News. Sheep.
    Lol Fox News.Lamb

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by SikeMo View Post
    2 million people in the United States have tested positive for COVID. That sounds like a big number until you realize that that's 0.6% of the population.

My suspicion is that many, many more have actually had it with mild to no symptoms at all. We won't have any real answers for a long time to come. This is why I'm not going to blindly believe in any current 'science' on this thing. Wear a mask in public indoor spaces as a courtesy to the people around you. Otherwise, it's time to get on with our lives.
    You can't argue with the sheeple.

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    There is a difference in discussing what we should do and denying that there is a problem.

There's a range of possibilities and predictions for how they will turn out. But somehow that's not what gets discussed in the USA so much as "u r a shep"."no u r ijiot". Including by high level politicians.

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Its easy being an armchair epidemiologist behind a computer screen. I believe that if naysayers could talk with front line workers and those who have been afflicted that will tell firsthand about what this virus is and what it does they may have less of a trigger to call it a hoax. There does have to be a happy medium to keep society and the economy normal, or as normal as it can be for now. For those who think wearing a mask is bs and an inconvenience, I can think of a multitude of other things that are worse. Wearing a mask along with physical distancing will allow some normalcy and give science/medicine time to catch up. There's no e bike or shuttle to get to the top of this hill, a little work pedaling will make the difference. My two cents.

mtbr member
    I was going to keep my nose out of this conversation

To say that COVID is a Hoax is horrible - people are dying. The bigger question is how approach this disease. I am older with a history of asthma, and don't want this. Having asthma and not being able to breath, is a horrible way to live, and to die this way I can't think of anything worse and with a tube in throat - yikes! read how many people thought this was hoax and learned the hard way. As young adults and kids, we learn the hard way parents say don't do this, and we do it anyway and then learn that their advice carries experience. It is too bad that we have become hyper-critical of all news and information.

Yes, the numbers this one is probably the biggest hurdle, even I have difficulty with this. The better we do at physical distancing, the better the numbers will look, and this creates a false sense of reality of the disease impact. When we were forced to physical distance. In Monterey county, we were SIP for 20 people, and people were out of work, gaining weight, losing their mind, people losing business for 20 people. I would say why are we doing this for 20 people, the size of classroom. In some ways we need a controlled spread because we can't stay lockdown forever. Now we know as the numbers are dramatically increasing. The better we do at the numbers, the more the numbers support that this was required. In the end, we will not know the true numbers until it is over.

When did a disease become political - there is a lot not known about the disease - it may have spread earlier to more people (again this would great), it may not have spread - if the scientists knew the disease, we would have vaccine, this highlights complexity of the disease. A vaccine would allow everyone to do everything they want, so the race to get this besides saving people is that our daily livelihood returns. Scientists only know as much as the data provides, and can learn from this to make better decisions, to improve quality of life. Protests in open area space with masks and without masks, didn't lead to an increase - this can allow people to do more with this knowledge, closed spaces are more prone to spread, again educated policy can be developed.

the Mask - this is equivalent to the seat belt and smoking in public places - you can get a ticket for not wearing a seat belt, the government currently enforces this, even though in this case it only affects the person not wearing the seat belt in accident. People were up in arms about seat belt laws, but I bet most people today when buying a vehicle are looking to get more increased safety features, it is why vehicles continue to sell ie safety! Smoking in a public place, the reason this is prohibited because the smokers decision to smoke not only affects them but the people around them.

A doctor said this best, when it came out about Trump's rally and signing a document not to sue. He didn't answer this question and posed a better question for everyone that will not wear a mask and will not maintain physical distance, please sign a waiver that you will not seek medical assistance that further harms the medical profession as more medical professionals are dying to save people's lives that are ignoring health advisory recommendations. If you are so confident, I wish they had a waiver for people to sign. I thought this question was very thought provoking!

Lastly, as human beings why are we not trying to help each other, put your ego down for second, enjoy the wonderful life that we have, and respect others around to us. In year when this over, we can then argue about what we did right or wrong, and learn to do it better next time. People will have to accept being wrong or right, but its better to have the conversation afterward than people dying and not have the conversation with that person. We still can enjoy hell of a lot today with physical limitations for notion of a better future for everyone!

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    You can't argue with the sheeple.
    Now that is something we can agree on.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    The crazy thing to me is if we'd actually handled this better, we'd be enjoying a more normal life now. Most of the people I know broke the rules and kept travailing to other counties for fun -- some to buy wine and some for vacations. The rules were put in place to protect us. My question now for the rule breakers is why should I ever follow the rules you like if you won't follow life or death rules? Let's just say I'm never going to follow a no-bike sign again as long as I live.

mtbr member
    Jul 2018
    Hey Trumpers, Fox news is reporting this: https://www.foxnews.com/politics/tex...s-unacceptable and this: https://www.foxnews.com/us/texas-gov...ing-free-masks.

So, Texas gov Abbot (R) is telling people that COVID is serious and asking them to wear masks. He's even giving out masks at testing centers.

Maybe the "sheeple" aren't chicken little on this one?

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Dude! View Post
    I was going to keep my nose out of this conversation

To say that COVID is a Hoax is horrible - people are dying. The bigger question is how approach this disease. I am older with a history of asthma, and don't want this. Having asthma and not being able to breath, is a horrible way to live, and to die this way I can't think of anything worse and with a tube in throat - yikes! read how many people thought this was hoax and learned the hard way. As young adults and kids, we learn the hard way parents say don't do this, and we do it anyway and then learn that their advice carries experience. It is too bad that we have become hyper-critical of all news and information.

Yes, the numbers this one is probably the biggest hurdle, even I have difficulty with this. The better we do at physical distancing, the better the numbers will look, and this creates a false sense of reality of the disease impact. When we were forced to physical distance. In Monterey county, we were SIP for 20 people, and people were out of work, gaining weight, losing their mind, people losing business for 20 people. I would say why are we doing this for 20 people, the size of classroom. In some ways we need a controlled spread because we can't stay lockdown forever. Now we know as the numbers are dramatically increasing. The better we do at the numbers, the more the numbers support that this was required. In the end, we will not know the true numbers until it is over.

When did a disease become political - there is a lot not known about the disease - it may have spread earlier to more people (again this would great), it may not have spread - if the scientists knew the disease, we would have vaccine, this highlights complexity of the disease. A vaccine would allow everyone to do everything they want, so the race to get this besides saving people is that our daily livelihood returns. Scientists only know as much as the data provides, and can learn from this to make better decisions, to improve quality of life. Protests in open area space with masks and without masks, didn't lead to an increase - this can allow people to do more with this knowledge, closed spaces are more prone to spread, again educated policy can be developed.

the Mask - this is equivalent to the seat belt and smoking in public places - you can get a ticket for not wearing a seat belt, the government currently enforces this, even though in this case it only affects the person not wearing the seat belt in accident. People were up in arms about seat belt laws, but I bet most people today when buying a vehicle are looking to get more increased safety features, it is why vehicles continue to sell ie safety! Smoking in a public place, the reason this is prohibited because the smokers decision to smoke not only affects them but the people around them.

A doctor said this best, when it came out about Trump's rally and signing a document not to sue. He didn't answer this question and posed a better question for everyone that will not wear a mask and will not maintain physical distance, please sign a waiver that you will not seek medical assistance that further harms the medical profession as more medical professionals are dying to save people's lives that are ignoring health advisory recommendations. If you are so confident, I wish they had a waiver for people to sign. I thought this question was very thought provoking!

Lastly, as human beings why are we not trying to help each other, put your ego down for second, enjoy the wonderful life that we have, and respect others around to us. In year when this over, we can then argue about what we did right or wrong, and learn to do it better next time. People will have to accept being wrong or right, but its better to have the conversation afterward than people dying and not have the conversation with that person. We still can enjoy hell of a lot today with physical limitations for notion of a better future for everyone!
    Well put. As for the Mask, I would add that it reminds me of when helmets came out for the masses and all my buddies were too macho to wear them. Until they took a header.

Life's a Garden, dig it!
    You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to SS Hack again.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by 415mtb View Post
    We'll never really know if we overreacted to corona, only if we underreacted. Hopefully the latter isn't how it shakes out.
    With the US currently the worst country in the world, by far, for number of cases it's pretty clear we underreacted, wouldn't you say?

mtbr member
    Jun 2020

didn't underreact

Quote Originally Posted by phorest View Post
    With the US currently the worst country in the world, by far, for number of cases it's pretty clear we underreacted, wouldn't you say?
    We didn't "underreact". After that initial period of infection in March, people need to hold themselves accountable for catching the disease. There is no "Immaculate Infection" that miraculously happens. After we were told of how it spreads there is no excuse to catch it. No country has the money and freedom to move around as much as our population does, but where the rubber hits the road is in the number of deaths. Counting just 3 countries in Europe, with a fraction of our population (UK, Italy, France), they have as many deaths as we do and the death rate is 3-4 times higher. Also, you need to factor in the fact that India, China, and Russia either don't have the resources to test as we do, but two are communist/dictatorial countries that are never transparent with their numbers.
    Last edited by reb4; 2 Weeks Ago at 01:48 PM. Reason: spelling

mtbr member
    Aug 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by phorest View Post
    If I had to give a yes or no answer, absolutely. But, depends how you define "we." I live in SF and so far I've been generally pleased with how the city has responded. There's more to be done for sure, and we'll see how people's quarantine fatigue evolves alongside rising infections. As a nation, yeah, it's disappointing but not surprising.

@reb4, that's sanctimonious BS. Many people who have gotten sick or died are: paid hourly and can't work from home, work in hospitals where every possible prevention measure is taken, went to the grocery store with all precautions but someone else wasn't being careful, work as cops or firefighters, the list goes on. It's easy to hear about college kids at pool parties and say "there is no excuse to catch it" but there's a huge number of people out there who have died simply because of someone else's negligence and/or bad luck. Any immunologist will tell you the measures are recommended to reduce the odds, not eliminate them.

Trail Ninja
    2 million get seriously injured each year in the US from motor vehicles. Serious meaning that their physical ability to do work is permanently affected.

Seat belt and air bag is akin to the mask. The frame/cabin is akin to social distancing. Traffic rules are akin to lockdown. And the accelerator is akin to personal judgement and brakes are akin to common sense.

The rebellious attitude in going against health advice, treating it like some fun adventure, with lessons to be learned, and freedom and life to be had is akin to reckless drunk driving.

Inconveniencing others more than necessary, because you can't be arsed to be inconvenienced yourself, is essentially the behavior that defines an jackass.

P.S. the car and motorcycle issue isn't a problem that should be excused either. It's more of a problem with the people operating them, and how they follow their nature to do what they think makes more sense to them. Same with this pandemic... if people actually followed directions (and followed established etiquette when sharing public space), there wouldn't be a problem.

There's room to criticize whatever system is being used, if the design isn't intuitive feeling, but we seemingly have peculiar habit to deal with lazy design, glorifying the tough road to adaptation by throwing oneself into risk and danger. The glory would earn people the street cred of being a badass, but they usually turn out to be a clown in fail video, originally intended to be a sick shredit, or just qualify for not getting bullied (AKA toxic masculinity).
    "The challenge is not in developing new ideas, but in escaping old ideas."

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    So my wife’s grandma was diagnosed with covid. She is 90+ years young with a long list of health issues much like others her age. Fast forward, she has recovered, no ventilator or anything that severe after about a week and half in hospital. Apparently being crazy and mean is the cure for covid. Sarcasm.

So you might think that I am skeptical of the severity of this virus. Nope. I take it seriously. I know some (or all) predictions have been off. It’s my opinion that to think that we (humans) can fully understand a never been seen before virus in 6 to 8 months is ridiculous and actually highlights our need for better public education. At the same time, i still go to work and do some things and not do other things that I used to, for now. Sometimes I wonder if I’m the only one in the “middle” on this?

mtbr member
    Sep 2018
    So you might think that I am skeptical of the severity of this virus. Nope. I take it seriously. I know some (or all) predictions have been off. It’s my opinion that to think that we (humans) can fully understand a never been seen before virus in 6 to 8 months is ridiculous and actually highlights our need for better public education. At the same time, i still go to work and do some things and not do other things that I used to, for now. Sometimes I wonder if I’m the only one in the “middle” on this?
    I totally agree with this.

I think the most that I can ask of anyone is that they be reasonable, which early on with shelter-in-place meant (IMO) that you can/should still ride your bike, but that you should probably stay close to home. Now that things are relaxing a tiny bit, it's probably OK to head out and do stuff a bit further from home, but you should still bring/wear a face mask if you're going to be at an indoor facility or in close proximity to others. As Florida and Texas are showing us we're not out of the woods with this...and choosing to take an overly relaxed stance for the sake of political gains is needlessly putting many thousands of lives at risk.

And, Hel Mot, hope your wife's grandma makes a full recovery. I cant imagine that it was an easy time for you guys. Sounds like even minor infections can have some consequences. https://globalnews.ca/news/7111094/c...alth-problems/

middle ring single track
    I'm in the middle too. I think the early lockdown was a wise thing (and maybe not strict enough) but after a couple of weeks it was time to move onward (Temperature screenings for workplaces and everybody wears a mask in public until a vaccine is developed). Should have opened up just about everything that allows for social distance spacing.

The coronavirus is nothing new; SARS and MERS were the same but different. Masks make a difference.

I've had to wear masks at times during my working career; it being a condition of employment and also a smart thing to do. (Also like wearing seatbelts, hard hats and riding helmets)

If there's a chance I'm going to get within that "6 feet" I'm going to pull it on. Only part for me, I've had persistent respiratory congestion this spring---I could be a carrier! (I have tested negative)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Norcal Coronavirus poll-state-issue-mask.jpg  

Trail Ninja
    Norcal Coronavirus poll-ebmqf0ewoamkq70.jpg

Norcal Coronavirus poll-main-qimg-5a7e1a825852ebff05843f191b3d3d4e.jpg

Some pics I found interesting from Twitter, regarding mask use.

mtbr member
    Sep 2015
    we didnt really lockdown. nationwide, it was a soft lockdown at best. if we had done it correctly, a month of it would have been really effective. we kicked the economy in the nuts with a half-hearted lockdown. now opening up after our perceived lockdown? brace yourselves. my wife works in the communicable disease dept as a RN. she wont show me what's behind the curtain, but it is apparently ugly. that recent speech the director of the CDC gave is grim.
    Santa Cruz 5010 C
    Surly Crosscheck.

Life's a Garden, dig it!
    Truth, Cliff.

mtbr member
    I don't know how many have tried riding with a mask, but it was nearly impossible when I tried it riding with my 6YO son at his pace. No way I could do it at normal pace.

But...last week I finished up a ride up to UCSC and back down. When I was riding back into town on Golf Club Dr some guy coughed out of the window of his parked car as I was passing. I think he was living in his car. Now I have some COVID-19 symptoms. I have been so careful. The only risky thing I do is ride without a mask. I go early on weekday mornings when there is almost nobody out. I have isolated myself from my family now. Not even sure how long I should stay away.

middle ring single track
    I don't know how many have tried riding with a mask, but it was nearly impossible when I tried it riding with my 6YO son at his pace. No way I could do it at normal pace.

But...last week I finished up a ride up to UCSC and back down. When I was riding back into town on Golf Club Dr some guy coughed out of the window of his parked car as I was passing. I think he was living in his car. Now I have some COVID-19 symptoms. I have been so careful. The only risky thing I do is ride without a mask. I go early on weekday mornings when there is almost nobody out. I have isolated myself from my family now. Not even sure how long I should stay away.
    Sh!t. See a doc if your temp gets high, get tested regardless.

On the bike I'm only wearing a mask when I'm anticipating meeting others on the trail. But yes exerting with a mask on is uncomfortable; my main complaint is my glasses getting fogged up to a point I have to take them off to see where I'm going.

E-biking with a mask is no problemo; turbo mode with mask deployed---eco mode mask down.

FWIW that 6 foot "safe" distance is for standing still no wind; in motion it stretches a long ways out.

Trail Ninja
    I remember the first time I tried to ride with a balaclava in winter, going up higher into the mountains*. I was running out of breath easily. Subsequent rides were much easier.

I think this experience made riding with the mask full-time, without pulling it down besides to drink, feel so normal that it's something done without thought. Haven't really changed up my riding. I simply got used to what I brung. No fog issues with my eyewear (goggles) and my full face helmet doesn't make it any noticeably worse.

I suspect that my subconscious breathing pattern adapted. I recall the balaclava getting sucked into my teeth and getting wet during my adapting phase, but nothing like that comes close to happening any more. Feels like I just naturally breathe through it. I have multiple masks and I highly doubt it's due to the differences in them, as if they physically changed after use.

* (for a desert valley dweller like me, more like just going up high enough to see trees and poke up above early morning clouds)

fc
    51,000 new cases yesterday. HOLY FUCH.

The other hotbeds UK, Italy, Francs... all under 1000.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Norcal Coronavirus poll-107136157_10158261474803213_6971032392389653132_o.jpg  

IPA will save America

NRP
    mtbr member
    Sep 2015
    Yeah it’s looking pretty bleak.

mtbr member
    Jul 2018
    It's gonna get really bad. The U.S. is so fractured we can't come together to fight a pandemic. This thing is way worse than 9/11 but there's no one to bomb, so we'll just **** around yelling at each other while the virus ransacks our medical infrastructure and sends us into a depression.

Sep 2010
    Definitely seek medical advice on this forum, Doctors are dumb. I am saving tons of money by using MTBR, anyone want to check me for a hernia.

mtbr member
    Jan 2020
    I'm not falling for that again, hoolie.

“There's an old saying in Tennessee — I know it's in Texas, probably in Tennessee — that says, fool me once, shame on — shame on you. Fool me — you can't get fooled again.” ~ GB

Sep 2010
    ......again, hahaha. Now youre creepin' ME out. Hahahaha.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by hoolie View Post
    Definitely seek medical advice on this forum, Doctors are dumb. I am saving tons of money by using MTBR, anyone want to check me for a hernia.
    With or without chamois butter?

Log off and go ride!
    Jul 2003
    It's an election year -- get used to being lied to.

In the meanwhile I saved a bunch of money making my own masks. I used all-natural and renewable material -- baby seal pelts.

mtbr member
    Sep 2018
    Placer County and Washoe County are tightening restrictions back up after a whole lot of new infections. This affects the upper half of the Tahoe basin and parts of Truckee.

https://www.rgj.com/story/news/2020/...rs/5416898002/

https://www.placer.ca.gov/CivicAlerts.aspx?AID=438

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by sa12 View Post
    Placer County and Washoe County are tightening restrictions back up after a whole lot of new infections. This affects the upper half of the Tahoe basin and parts of Truckee.

https://www.rgj.com/story/news/2020/...rs/5416898002/

https://www.placer.ca.gov/CivicAlerts.aspx?AID=438
    Real it back, there is an abundance of lame happening in resort areas.

mtbr member
    Sep 2018
    Backwards we go...

Tweets below are from Gavin Newsom:
    CA is now closing indoor operations STATEWIDE for:

-Restaurants
    -Wineries
    -Movie theaters, family entertainment
    -Zoos, museums
    -Cardrooms

Bars must close ALL operations.
    Additional restrictions are being placed on 30 counties:
    As #COVID19 cases and hospitalizations continue to rise, 30 counties will now be required to CLOSE INDOOR OPERATIONS for:

-Fitness Centers
    -Places of Worship
    -Offices for Non-Critical Sectors
    -Personal Care Services
    -Hair Salons and Barbershops
    -Malls
    The 30 affected counties are: Colusa, Contra Costa, Fresno, Glenn, Imperial, Kings, LA, Madera, Marin, Merced, Monterey, Napa, Orange, Placer, Riverside, Sacramento, San Benito, San Bernardino, San Diego, San Joaquin, Santa Barbara, Solano, Sonoma, Stanislaus, Sutter, Tulare, Yolo, Yuba, Ventura

mtbr member
    Imagine that most counties have the same, but I've been checking in with the Santa Clara County Health Department's various dashboards for COVID-19 case data:

https://www.sccgov.org/sites/covid19...dashboard.aspx

One can see charts showing data for cases, deaths, hospital bed usage, ventilator usage, breakdown of cases by ZIP codes, and more.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12