Thread: Nor Cal on E

Moderator Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by chuckha62 View Post
    The UnobtainEum
    Nor Cal on E-screen-shot-2019-04-16-2.55.28-pm.jpg

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by fc View Post
    I may finally get into the gravel thing. 27 lb assisted gravel bike so one can explore the vast expanse.

And if I don't want the motor, I can take it out and this will be a 20 lb bike with a storage cavity on the downtube for a footlong subway sammich and drink!!Attachment 1247214

This is kinda significant since this is where a segment of emtbs are going as well. Light, modular and removable motors and batteries.

This bike is already sold in Europe and will be here in the fall. There's a mountain bike that was tested in the Cape Epic race too.

Commuting, exploring long and far... maybe.
    I believe Bulls had a similar bike also.
    Lead by my Lefty............... right down the trail, no brakes.

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    The UnobtainEum
    They compensate for the weight of the motor and batteries by making the frame out of upsidasium.

Sent from my SM-P900 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    I may finally get into the gravel thing. 27 lb assisted gravel bike so one can explore the vast expanse.

And if I don't want the motor, I can take it out and this will be a 20 lb bike with a storage cavity on the downtube for a footlong subway sammich and drink!!Attachment 1247214

This is kinda significant since this is where a segment of emtbs are going as well. Light, modular and removable motors and batteries.

This bike is already sold in Europe and will be here in the fall. There's a mountain bike that was tested in the Cape Epic race too.

Commuting, exploring long and far... maybe.
    Could go very far indeed, since it would be light enough to easily take it on a train.

fc
    head minion Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by andytiedye View Post
    Could go very far indeed, since it would be light enough to easily take it on a train.

Yup.

And the key is it's modular. Batteries will be about 4 lbs each. Want more run time... take more batteries. Just like lights.
    IPA will save America

fc
    Quote Originally Posted by 5k bike 50cent legs View Post
    Talked with a shop owner on the trails the other day, he told me there's an eBike in the works that has incredible range and weighs sub 35lbs. Can't recall the name of the bike.
    Hope you didn't put a deposit in. Those two conflicting goals of 35 lbs and incredible range are far, far away for full suspension.

There's the Lapierre bike with Fazua motor coming soon. There's Cedric Gracia's bike too from Andorra that is sub-40 lbs with a little battery.

That's good though. Little, modular batteries are good. Want more range, work harder. Want really more range from the motor, carry extra batteries. The problem today is you're carrying these 20 lb battery/motor combos that have too much power and range than you need on most weekday rides.
    IPA will save America

fc
    If you're curious what ebikes and tech where at Sea Otter, we've compiled the videos from our friends at EMBN.

It's now about 30+% of that event. And rising.

https://reviews.mtbr.com/video-embn-...s-of-sea-otter
    IPA will save America

fc
    Henry Coe ebike, superbloom ride this Saturday!!! I'm pretty stoked.Nor Cal on E-img_9549.jpg
    IPA will save America

fc

Coe was good. 5500 feet. And unlike previous rides there, canít wait to go back. There are many amazing descents there now.
    IPA will save America

Captain One Lung Administrator
    We've always had a hell of a time getting our son to ride with us if there was any amount of climbing involved. He is not a very athletic kid so pedaling a bike that weighs half as much as he does just isn't much fun for him. Enter the Wire Peak Pro ebike. Jeni picked one up for enduro training, MTB clinics, and to do adventure rides with me on my Wire Peak.

She let Riley ride it one day and he was hooked! It enabled him to pedal up the hills without burning out and now he wants to ride all the time. She took him down some of the harder trails (Culvert, Stonewall, Rocky) in Auburn and he had a blast. Even pedaling back up Mammoth Bar Rd. didn't bother him. If an ebike is what it takes to get him interested in riding with us then take my money. His mom is so proud of him and his eagerness to ride. It's hard to put a price tag on that.

NedwannaB
    Saw that clip of him charging that section on thu IG. Awesome! Yeah ebikes are only ment for the old and decrepit types. Wait....how come I'm not on one?!?😎
    Wait whuuut, who did he tell you that!?!?....

fc
    Quote Originally Posted by JMac47 View Post
    Saw that clip of him charging that section on thu IG. Awesome! Yeah ebikes are only ment for the old and decrepit types. Wait....how come I'm not on one?!?
    That was amazing.

I loaned my ebike to a good buddy and he rode with his wife in the morning and his 12 year old son in the afternoon. Instead of 200 foot climbs on bike paths, 2000 feet each. They all came to my house that evening.
    IPA will save America

Saw that clip of him charging that section on thu IG. Awesome! Yeah ebikes are only ment for the old and decrepit types. Wait....how come I'm not on one?!?😎
    Haha imagine how much further you can explore on an ebike? You could post up just that many more sweet photos on IG!

And yeah, the kid was charging stuff we'd never have expected. At one point he even asked Jeni if she could pull over and let him by......

NedwannaB
    Quote Originally Posted by JCWages View Post
    Haha imagine how much further you can explore on an ebike? You could post up just that many more sweet photos on IG!

And yeah, the kid was charging stuff we'd never have expected. At one point he even asked Jeni if she could pull over and let him by......
    Wait. You lurking on my IG feed? whuuuuut...😎

That was amazing.

I loaned my ebike to a good buddy and he rode with his wife in the morning and his 12 year old son in the afternoon. Instead of 200 foot climbs on bike paths, 2000 feet each. They all came to my house that evening.
    It seriously opens up a whole new realm of possibilities for people. Yesterday evening Aaron from Bixxel Media and I were exploring the TDS trails and I brought my ebike and he had his Ibis Mojo. When Ron offered to let Aaron use his ebike Aaron jumped on it like a bum on a ham sandwich! Anyone who knows the TDS trails knows they are uber steep and going up and down the "fire roads" can be a serious slog on a regular bike. Up and down the mountain we went and every time we hit a steep incline I could FEEL Aaron grinning from ear to ear and when it got really steep he would say something along the lines of how can anyone hate a bike like this? God damn this is fun! And that was on a bike 2 sizes too large for him that weighed 50+lbs. Turbo boost FTW. LOL

Wait. You lurking on my IG feed? whuuuuut...😎
    Neva!!! Although I admit I was waiting for that rope swing to break. lol

NedwannaB
    Neva!!! Although I admit I was waiting for that rope swing to break. lol
    Break!?! Really......😥

mtbr member
    Sep 2015
    E bike thoughts jumped into my head on Sundayís ride.

Did some one turn up gravity lately?
    Santa Cruz 5010 C
    Surly Crosscheck.

mtbr member
    Jan 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by Boomchakabowwow View Post

The fact that I can feel it here in Socal constitutes proof positive that someone has.

Life's a Garden, dig it!
    Quote Originally Posted by Boomchakabowwow View Post

Just say, No.

In fact, let me loan you an SS. It will change your life.
    "And crawling on the planet's face, some insects called, The Human Race..."

fc
    Just say, No.

In fact, let me loan you an SS. It will change your life.
    e-bikers on group rides are kinda like singlespeeders. Except they don't block you on descents, try to pass on slow singletrack climbs, and they don't talk about their gearing.

just keeeding
    IPA will save America

mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    ...and they don't mention what kind of bike they're riding at every...single...opportunity!

#recoveringSSer
    Ride fast. Huck bravely. Waste no beer. Safety third.

Life's a Garden, dig it!
    e-bikers on group rides are kinda like singlespeeders. Except they don't block you on descents, try to pass on slow singletrack climbs, and they don't talk about their gearing.

just keeeding
    No worries. I'm trying to get Cliff to embrace his inner mountain goat. I ran into him on Canyon, Sunday morning, as he was on his way down.

It's time to embrace climbing, not just endure it, man!

middle ring single track
    If you're curious what ebikes and tech where at Sea Otter, we've compiled the videos from our friends at EMBN.

It's now about 30+% of that event. And rising.

https://reviews.mtbr.com/video-embn-...s-of-sea-otter
    I finally got through all of the videos, actually enjoyed most of them. Steve Jones has an infectious kind of enthusiasm. The accent helps.

The last video is the one I found most profound; especially the bit about manufacturers going "beyond" Class 1-2-3.

I found the bit about "ebike-specific" saddles a LOL moment! Apparently ebikers have different asses than regular bikers. I've suspected this all along.
    Content here does not officially represent the CA DPR.

Windows 10, destroying humanity one upgrade at a time.

mtbr member

Coe was good. 5500 feet. And unlike previous rides there, canít wait to go back. There are many amazing descents there now.
    Coe was super fun the few times Iíve ridden there but think it would be great on an ebike. Whatís you recommended loop?

NedwannaB

just keeeding
    So true Francois! Spoken like a true singlespeeder. Before I dealve into another abyss of ss to ebike, tell me the perks of your Epic EVO? Hate to go OT but been checking into these so PM regarding this when you have time.

loopy counter
    Quote Originally Posted by Dpca10 View Post
    Coe was super fun the few times Iíve ridden there but think it would be great on an ebike. Whatís you recommended loop?
    For me the fun is going up trails that would not be otherwise possible, such as Steer Ridge Road from Hunting Hollow. Still makes it challenging, side benefit is less user traffic. There are plenty of such climbs to conquer.

fc
    So true Francois! Spoken like a true singlespeeder. Before I dealve into another abyss of ss to ebike, tell me the perks of your Epic EVO? Hate to go OT but been checking into these so PM regarding this when you have time.
    The Epic Evo is not that awesome. $6500 and it's over 27 lbs without pedals.

They evo'd it only by adding a longer 120mm fork and an Xfusion dropper. It rides good but there is so much opportunity once this is redesigned for real. The Brain rear shock still knocks so I leave it wide open.

But it's good for Midpen. I can pedal far and wide and take all the jumps along the way.

fc
    IPA will save America

fc
    Rode with a very fancy bike today. Specialized Levo... with Live Valve.

Price tag... $15,000
    IPA will save America

Moderator Moderator
    Well I guess pretty soon they will be fire selling all the non electric bikes the way they are 27.5s currently.

used to be RipRoar
    Rode with a very fancy bike today. Specialized Levo... with Live Valve.

Price tag... $15,000
    LiveValve on a digi wow, seems pointless with a motor...whats your take?

fc
    Quote Originally Posted by TraxFactory View Post
    I didn't try it. It does seem kinda pointless since I ride E-bikes with just wide open suspension all the time.

But the owner of the bike is a Specialized engineer and was probably testing. It's a good way to test a system since you get miles and miles of riding day in, day out.

He also just always rides at 5% assist only and is concerned about efficiency.Nor Cal on E-img_5147.jpg

I heard Trailhead Bikes sold an S-Works Levo with a Trust fork... another $15k bike +taxes. Free waterbottle i hope.
    IPA will save America

YOUREGO ISNOT YOURAMIGO
    Way too much e-love in this thread.
    Wheres Life behind bars when ya need him/her?
    Ebikes are killing the mtb world as we know it.

mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    For somebody that doesn't care for Specialized, what are the best alternatives?

fc
    Quote Originally Posted by Callender View Post
    For somebody that doesn't care for Specialized, what are the best alternatives?
    From our survey publishing soon.Nor Cal on E-screen-shot-2019-04-25-12.01.08-pm.jpg

And folks penciled in popular new options not in the survey in this order:
    YT Decoy
    Intense
    Norco
    Fezzari Wire Peak
    IPA will save America

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by GoGoGordo View Post
    Ebikes are killing CHANGING the mtb world as we know it.
    True. I can now get in 4 laps on an ebike when I used to only have time for 2

More DH in the same amount of time.

jms
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ziscwg View Post

Laps of what type of trail?

Fortunately there are STILL routes and trails that are longer, tighter, steeper, or require some amount of portaging, or shouldering, that the keep the foot throttle pedal electric moped [Ebikes] hordes of "**** electrus" away.
    My Favorite Peeps:

Moderator Moderator

Be careful what you ask for, that's one of the reasons they're not legal around here

inebriate savant
    Quote Originally Posted by jms View Post

Fortunately there are STILL routes and trails that are longer, tighter, steeper, or require some amount of portaging, or shouldering, that the keep the foot throttle pedal electric moped [Ebikes] hordes of "**** electrus" away.
    "You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to jms again."
    Work smarter AND harder.

mtbr member
    May 2007

The lower Priest Rock to LimeKilm (overgrown) loop. It's close to me and I could only manage two laps on a pedal bike on the weekdays. I'd did 4 when I stole an ebike one evening

YOUREGO ISNOT YOURAMIGO
    Quote Originally Posted by Harryman View Post
    Be careful what you ask for, that's one of the reasons they're not legal around here
    Here where?

Trail Gnome
    Quote Originally Posted by GoGoGordo View Post
    Ebikes are killing the mtb world as we know it.
    ^^^

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by TraxFactory View Post
    Livevalve is pointless on any bike in its current state.

mtbr member
    Mar 2014

Good job!

The lower Priest Rock to LimeKilm (overgrown) loop. It's close to me and I could only manage two laps on a pedal bike on the weekdays. I'd did 4 when I stole an ebike one evening
    That's a legit multi-lapper! Don't let the Luddites and curmudgeons get ya down. Lots of people thought full suspension was bad for the sport and that 29ers were a fad. And that lycra wouldn't dominate cycling fashion. The odds are in your favor.
    Last edited by Callender; 3 Weeks Ago at 08:47 AM.

fc
    In the South Bay Area, most of the trails are not worth doing with 90% of the spent climbing very steep trails for very little fun descents.

On ebikes, they're all pretty darn good.
    IPA will save America

Moderator Moderator
    In the South Bay Area, most of the trails are not worth doing with 90% of the spent climbing very steep trails for very little fun descents.

On ebikes, they're all pretty darn good.
    Unless you actually enjoy climbing. I have a good friend who only loves to climb, something is wrong with him.

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by 5k bike 50cent legs View Post
    Unless you actually enjoy climbing. I have a good friend who only loves to climb, something is wrong with him.
    I have one of those too. They're called "roadies"

fc
    Quote Originally Posted by nilswalk View Post
    roadies would be scared of these climbs.

I used to climb Kennedy twice a week and I wouldn't bother with a lot of the trails in the South Bay since I didn't live close to them. Priest Rock, Charcoal, Santa Teresa, Coe, Grant Ranch are some
    IPA will save America

Life's a Garden, dig it!
    Quote Originally Posted by nilswalk View Post
    Nope

jms
    mtbr member
    Awesome! Totally appropriate place/use/time.

In general, anything that gets people of all ages outside on a trail, I'm TOTALLY in favor of. It's the tortured logic used by the cycling industry uses to legitimize and promote access for electric mopeds in search of money. To each their own.
    My Favorite Peeps:

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Doesn't climbing offer some health benefits? My blood pressure dropped like 30 points from climbing on a single speed and my body fat is way down. I'm also much more "energetic" in other ways and my back is much stronger. E-bikes seem great to replace shuttles, but climbing has benefits.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by griz View Post
    ^^^
    Ya, way too much e-love. Riding for the DH is just lazy. Enjoy the climb as much as the descent. I feel the same way about DH skiing. Just taking the lift all day long just gets boring. It's not fun unless you can ski in the back country.

mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by SS Hack View Post
    Doesn't climbing offer some health benefits?
    No doubt. But people that are in to heart rate training are saying that using an ebike can allow you to stay in the proper training zone on the climbs. I've been hearing about people seeing pros use them (although getting more DH time certainly comes into play). For those of us with some heart/health issues it sure makes a lot of sense.
    Last edited by Callender; 3 Weeks Ago at 07:40 PM.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Doesn't climbing offer some health benefits? My blood pressure dropped like 30 points from climbing on a single speed and my body fat is way down. I'm also much more "energetic" in other ways and my back is much stronger. E-bikes seem great to replace shuttles, but climbing has benefits.
    Climbing does offer benefits. I'm not attacking here, but have you done a good ride on an Emtb? I ask because you can go balls out hard on an emtb climb......you just get there sooner. You can sit right at your FTP on the climb on an emtb in econ mode (an example). Or, you can sit in zone 3 if you like.......or you can rock turbo mode if you are dead tired and just want one more lap.

My point is the emtb offers you choices on how to climb. (for the normal person)
    (for me, it offers me the chance to ride "normal" again.)

NRP
    mtbr member
    Sep 2015
    Who makes the best looking ebike?

Specialized and YT look sexy, but I haven't seen many others.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    They all have stupid looking downtubes to fit the battery / gearbox. Sexy is not a word i would use to describe them. Overweight pigs comes more to mind purely from a looks perspective.

Some of them can look okay from the side view. But, the 3/4 view that highlights how ridiculously fat the downtube is....

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    I've never ridden one and can imagine that if you climb more and go further, then you'd get a workout that rivals a normal bike. Since they cost so much, I'd be concerned about long term reliability and maintenance. There are some very steep trails in the Eastern Sierra that would be fun to try one on, you'd be working hard even with the ebike and frankly I doubt I could make it up some of these on a normal bikes no matter the gearing.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by cassieno View Post
    They all have stupid looking downtubes to fit the battery / gearbox. Sexy is not a word i would use to describe them. Overweight pigs comes more to mind purely from a looks perspective.

Some of them can look okay from the side view. But, the 3/4 view that highlights how ridiculously fat the downtube is....
    I don't know man, have you seen some of the new e-bikes??? They look rad!

Nor Cal on E-ebike.jpg
    2018 Trek Farley Ex 8 - One bike to rule them all!
    2015 Salsa Bucksaw 2 - Also pretty frickiní sweet!

mtbr member
    HAHA don't tell me Google is not watching our every move:

Nor Cal on E-ebike.jpg
    2018 Trek Farley Ex 8 - One bike to rule them all!
    2015 Salsa Bucksaw 2 - Also pretty frickiní sweet!

fc

They were hideous!!!!!

Some are looking better like the YT and Focus.

A new development is this Fazua system. Itís here on a gravel bike at 27 lbs. Can take the motor/battery out for a 20 lb bike

https://www.instagram.com/p/BwuqNDfF...id=7f9jzuglwds
    IPA will save America

mtbr member
    May 2007

you must have seen the Intense Tazer at Sea Otter.

that's a fatty of a down tube

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    They were hideous!!!!!

This is pretty damn bad:
    https://hips.hearstapps.com/hmg-prod...g?resize=768:*

The focus is a little better.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    I've never ridden one and can imagine that if you climb more and go further, then you'd get a workout that rivals a normal bike. Since they cost so much, I'd be concerned about long term reliability and maintenance. There are some very steep trails in the Eastern Sierra that would be fun to try one on, you'd be working hard even with the ebike and frankly I doubt I could make it up some of these on a normal bikes no matter the gearing.
    Better workout is sort of a stupid argument again. Put it in eco go climb stupid steep tech. The workout can be as good as you want.

but you know still a bike with a motor i.e. motor bike.

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    They all look just fine when looking out over the stem and handlebars!

Moderator Moderator
    you must have seen the Intense Tazer at Sea Otter.

that's a fatty of a down tube
    Tazer is an interesting name for an electric bike.

middle ring single track
    Are you an "individual with a mobility disability" or just an e-poacher?

mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    If you're going to start making citizen's arrests on MTBR, you're gonna need a bigger paddy wagon.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    I could actually see some wacko in Marin trying to do a citizen's arrest on some mountain biker, ebike or not. Perhaps one that accidentally went down the wrong trail.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Moe Ped View Post
    Are you an "individual with a mobility disability" or just an e-poacher?
    Does it honestly matter? MTBers have been poaching for years. It's sort of a way of life in the bay area. if someone talked about riding Tam or Tilden would you call them a P-poacher?

Call them lazy, fat, contributing to the delinquency of the species. All are better insults than calling someone out for poaching.

or maybe you do troll the weekend / week ride report threads and call out every single person who has / continues to poach UC.

middle ring single track
    Does it honestly matter? MTBers have been poaching for years. It's sort of a way of life in the bay area. if someone talked about riding Tam or Tilden would you call them a P-poacher?

Call them lazy, fat, contributing to the delinquency of the species. All are better insults than calling someone out for poaching.

or maybe you do troll the weekend / week ride report threads and call out every single person who has / continues to poach UC.
    Fight club rules say don't post it up on public media. That's my main point. MTBR is getting pretty lax in something they used to monitor pretty close.

mtbr member
    Jan 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by roughster View Post
    HAHA don't tell me Google is not watching our every move:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ebike.JPG 
Views:	44 
Size:	147.8 KB 
ID:	1248759
    Jeezus.....somebody hand me a polo mallet. That's the ticket.....

fc
    This is pretty damn bad:
    https://hips.hearstapps.com/hmg-prod...g?resize=768:*

The focus is a little better.
    That is one of the best to date. That angle is bad but it is well conceived and beveled
    IPA will save America

fc
    Quote Originally Posted by Moe Ped View Post
    Fight club rules say don't post it up on public media. That's my main point. MTBR is getting pretty lax in something they used to monitor pretty close.
    We make efforts to not help publicize illegal trail names, maps, videos of sensitive networks. Impossible task but it helps keep out of google search.

Other things like speeding, night riding and dozens of violations at Midpen, user assumes risk.
    IPA will save America

MarkyMark
    You know what I'd like to see the bike industry introducing next (sort of reductio ad absurdum)?

E-bikes at spin classes like SoulCycle, Peloton, etc. so people can "train."

Awesome! Totally appropriate place/use/time.

In general, anything that gets people of all ages outside on a trail, I'm TOTALLY in favor of. It's the tortured logic used by the cycling industry uses to legitimize and promote access for electric mopeds in search of money. To each their own.

mtbr member

A new development is this Fazua system. Itís here on a gravel bike at 27 lbs. Can take the motor/battery out for a 20 lb bike

that one looks pretty clean, and the modular is nice. I've been considering a BMC for commuting purposes-

Nor Cal on E-temp2.jpg
    https://us-en.bmc-switzerland.com/mo...amp-cross.html

maybe not as pretty but still pretty light.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Nor Cal on E-temp.jpg  

mtbr member
    We've always had a hell of a time getting our son to ride with us if there was any amount of climbing involved. He is not a very athletic kid so pedaling a bike that weighs half as much as he does just isn't much fun for him. Enter the Wire Peak Pro ebike. Jeni picked one up for enduro training, MTB clinics, and to do adventure rides with me on my Wire Peak.
    She let Riley ride it one day and he was hooked! It enabled him to pedal up the hills without burning out and now he wants to ride all the time. She took him down some of the harder trails (Culvert, Stonewall, Rocky) in Auburn and he had a blast. Even pedaling back up Mammoth Bar Rd. didn't bother him. If an ebike is what it takes to get him interested in riding with us then take my money. His mom is so proud of him and his eagerness to ride. It's hard to put a price tag on that.

What do you think his next bike will be, dirt bike or real mountain bike, assuming he gets in shape for mountain biking?
    I'm sick of all the Irish stereotypes, as soon as I finish this beer I"m punching someone

banned
    Apr 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by sfgiantsfan View Post
    What do you think his next bike will be, dirt bike or real mountain bike, assuming he gets in shape for mountain biking?
    Good question.

It sounds like NICA is missing an under-served population of kids that have no interest in pedaling bikes if there is any amount of climbing involved.

Maybe a new program for these at-risk youths modeled after NICA's GRiT Program?

Nor Cal on E-nica.png

We may be on to something here!

Nor Cal on E-clifs.jpg

fc
    Interesting.

Forestal is the bike that Cedric Gracia was wheeling around at Sea Otter. 6-7 inch travel, custom motor/battery. Sub 40 lbs for sure, small battery.

Nor Cal on E-1-photos3.jpg

When bike manufacturers buy a motor/battery from a Shimano or Bosch, they have to get a behemoth/overbuilt system that is designed not to fail in all cases. That's why their so big and heavy. Custom systems are the ones that are gonna be compact.
    IPA will save America

loopy counter
    When bike manufacturers buy a motor/battery from a Shimano or Bosch, they have to get a behemoth/overbuilt system that is designed not to fail in all cases. That's why their so big and heavy. Custom systems are the ones that are gonna be compact.
    Itís no secret that all the manufacturers are working on lighter total packages. Iíve even seen some prototypes from the big guys out on the trails. If Forestal was out today, it would have a year or two lead - at small volumes. So maybe this is about more than just building a light bike.

fc
    Quote Originally Posted by knobs View Post
    Itís no secret that all the manufacturers are working on lighter total packages. Iíve even seen some prototypes from the big guys out on the trails. If Forestal was out today, it would have a year or two lead - at small volumes. So maybe this is about more than just building a light bike.
    What have u seen???? Tell us some secrets. Maybe Santa Cruz and Ibis are doing a collaboration.
    IPA will save America

climber
    Dec 2008
    What have u seen???? Tell us some secrets. Maybe Santa Cruz and Ibis are doing a collaboration.
    Why the obsession with weight? Guys on the trail first say you are cheating by riding ebikes. Then they ask how much does that thing weigh anyway. I say my ebike weighs about 50 lbs - which is lot lighter than a 350lb motorcycle! My point is - do not debate weight, it proves you are talking to a newbie to the ebike world. Weight is mostly irelevant for most of us.

Disclaimer: I used to race moto cross back in the late 70s, which means I have an old body etc

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Weight impacts the ride. Not all riders are looking for the ride type that a heavier bike gives you. Obsession with weight has everything to do with searching after the ride type you want.

For a lot of mtbers 50#s is not the ride they are looking for.

NedwannaB
    Wurds.😎👍

jms
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack7782 View Post
    Why the obsession with weight? Guys on the trail first say you are cheating by riding ebikes. Then they ask how much does that thing weigh anyway. I say my ebike weighs about 50 lbs - which is lot lighter than a 350lb motorcycle! My point is - do not debate weight, it proves you are talking to a newbie to the ebike world. Weight is mostly irelevant for most of us.

Disclaimer: I used to race moto cross back in the late 70s, which means I have an old body etc
    Definitely! As long as you're on the bike path, or a trail it isn't necessary to lift one of those barges over something.

Do you think weight will be relevant portaging a stream or landslide, path finding, hopping downed logs, traversing terrain beyond traction, going beyond battery range, doing the walk of shame with a disabled bike, retrieving a bike after high siding, etc?

I think the more insidious thing long term with increased mopeds access and development is, how will their increased numbers and economic impact influence trail design?
    My Favorite Peeps:

jms
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Legbacon View Post
    Fat, lazy, and out of shape is not a disability.
    LOL! But it is an increasingly popular lifestyle!
    My Favorite Peeps:

mtbr member
    Yup the Ibis E-Jo is definitely coming

mtbr member
    Or maybe the Rip-mE

Up In Smoke
    I got smoked on a climb earlier this week by an old timer on his ebike wearing jeans and tennis shoes. He was riding in a no ebike zone, but what could I say, he was gone just as fast as he came up behind me.

Goes to show how powerful these machines really are.

My opinion goes back and forth about ebikes, but after seeing this first hand I get the impression that it takes the biking out of mountain biking.

Life's a Garden, dig it!
    Quote Originally Posted by Train Wreck View Post
    I got smoked on a climb earlier this week by an old timer on his ebike wearing jeans and tennis shoes. He was riding in a no ebike zone, but what could I say, he was gone just as fast as he came up behind me.

Goes to show how powerful these machines really are.

My opinion goes back and forth about ebikes, but after seeing this first hand I get the impression that it takes the biking out of mountain biking.
    Sort of like having a motor on your bike, eh? Who'd have thought.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    They were hideous!!!!!

This!

in next 5-10 years you can buy a new bike that will have ability to be both ebike and straight up pedal bike.

Itís all coming.. and yes kids will be riding racing ebikes. Totally makes sense for kids getting into bikes.

Tide has turned and no way to stop.

Only thing holding off my purchase is every few months there seems to be some better tech/design available... that and the nagging guilt I have, but Iím getting one, already decided that much.

mtbr member
    If you are the kind of rider that suffers the uphill for the downhill, and you have trails that allow E, than it makes a lot of sense.

Personally I ride DJ, fitness rides to stay in shape, and lift parks a few times a year, so there is no justification for E bike.

When I join my E bike buddies, I rent one. Sounds expensive, but if you consider the cost of a new one and how much it will be worth a year or two later, renting makes a lot of economic sense for the few times a year that I am on E. Also an e-bike ride is two or three times as long as human ride, so its an all day thing.

The latest incarnation of Levo is phenomenal, but if I was buying I would probably get a shimano drivetrain for the non proprietary nature.

fc
    A couple interesting things on the Trailhead Bikes Demo in Santa Teresa last weekend. Ebiking is completely legal there and in the whole Santa Clara County Parks system:

- They sent out 110 Specialized ebikes for demo. About 90 of all other Specialized pedal bikes went out. Folks from the Demo have bought ebikes since the weekend. More than pedal.... Specialized that is.

- every day after shutting down the Demo, all the available staffers (15+) would grab an ebike and go for a Santa Teresa rally of most of the park with the available light. Not exactly fat and lazy people. Just busy, like many.

- Santa Teresa legalized ebiking there about 20 months ago and the resulting effect with trail conflict/damage.... nothing. Just more riders on remote trails, sometimes.

Just a share, talking to Lars and the rangers there. I never used to go there in 20 years of riding since it wasn't worth it from Saratoga. But now I go there once a week to test ebikes. I'll venture to Calero and Quicksilver too. It's a decent test case for ebike access.

The other bikes taken out in force where Ripmo, Ripley, Patrol, Stumpy Evo, Epic Evo.

28 SCC Parks - https://www.sccgov.org/sites/parks/P...nty-Parks.aspx - this is NOT Midpen.
    Last edited by fc; 2 Weeks Ago at 08:04 AM.
    IPA will save America

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123