Nor Cal on E - Page 2- Mtbr.com
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Nor Cal on E

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    I don't have a car so I enjoy the comments about ebike users being unfit and lazy. Sometimes you just don't want to pedal everywhere.

I wish using a car to get your bike to the trail was as controversial as using an ebike on the trail. People use a lot of gasoline in the sport of mountain biking

fc
    head minion Administrator

Nor Cal on E

Quote Originally Posted by frantik! View Post
    I don't have a car so I enjoy the comments about ebike users being unfit and lazy. Sometimes you just don't want to pedal everywhere.

I wish using a car to get your bike to the trail was as controversial as using an ebike on the trail. People use a lot of gasoline in the sport of mountain biking
    Agree. Ebike allows me to pedal to far away trailheads with regularity on a capable trail bike.

The 1 hour of driving time is converted to 1 hour of pedaling time.

A bit of my new fitness comes from that. And I think this and ride share will allow me to sell one of our vehicles.
    IPA will save America

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by fc View Post
    A bit of my new fitness comes from that. And I think this and ride share will allow me to sell one of our vehicles.
    This is nice, but will it result in your Taco assuming all driving duties?

banned
    Sep 2018
    I wish using a car to get your bike to the trail was as controversial as using an ebike on the trail.
    Youíll have to work with the various land managers to eliminate that controversy. After all, they are the ones that are responsible for banning electric motor bicycles from many trail systems.

People use a lot of gasoline in the sport of mountain biking
    Yeah, I used 75+ gallons to get to some fantastic trails last weekend. If we used your method to get there, I would still be electric motor biking my way there/back or waiting for the batteries to recharge along the way.

fc
    Quote Originally Posted by California_Dave View Post
    This is nice, but will it result in your Taco assuming all driving duties?
    Yup, with its 33 inch mud tires!! That and Uber and buddies! More of a pipe dream really. But when my son's back in town using his car again, I'm able to test out the concept.
    IPA will save America

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by og-mtb View Post
    Yeah, I used 75+ gallons to get to some fantastic trails last weekend. If we used your method to get there, I would still be electric motor biking my way there/back or waiting for the batteries to recharge along the way.
    Well thanks for making my point.. you're over here taking about the benefits of gasoline motors on a site dedicated to bicycles, and that's not controversial at all. Nobody says "people who drive a car to the trailhead are lazy and out of shape". Nobody is concerned about the impact of driving a car has on the environment.. sure not the same way they are worried about the impact an ebike might have on a trail!

This site is even sponsored by a product which allows you to strap a gasoline motor to your bicycle, but I doubt many people have any problem with that. But just mention ebike outside of the ebike forum and people freak out! This has nothing to do with land managers, it has to with people's attitudes towards ebikes. Riding an ebike is "cheating", but burning 75 gallons of gas to get to the trail is something to brag about.

mtbr member
    May 2014
    I wish using a car to get your bike to the trail was as controversial as using an ebike on the trail....
    What about using your car to get your ebike to the trail?

Nor Cal on E-30171a33-183e-4e5a-8268-abd07098fc65.jpg

NedwannaB
    But just mention ebike outside of the ebike forum and people freak out! This has nothing to do with land managers, it has to with people's attitudes towards ebikes.
    And good lord forbid you mention them over in the singlespeed forum!
    Just commenting for a friend....
    Wait whuuut, who did he tell you that!?!?....

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by tahoebeau View Post
    FINALLY! Something to upset everyone!

banned
    Sep 2018
    Well thanks for making my point.. you're over here taking about the benefits of gasoline motors on a site dedicated to bicycles, and that's not controversial at all.
    Yo, stop hugging that tree for a moment and realize that being "dedicated to bicycles" and using gasoline motors are not mutually exclusive concepts.

I didn't make any point for you. Just pointed out how silly it is to expect everyone to forgo great riding because some "frantik!" person demands that everyone to ride to the trailhead.

. Nobody is concerned about the impact of driving a car has on the environment.. sure not the same way they are worried about the impact an ebike might have on a trail!
    This is false. Hysterical even.

Riding an ebike is "cheating", but burning 75 gallons of gas to get to the trail is something to brag about.
    You need to get your facts straight. It was 75+ gallons to get there, and back.

It was great riding. And not because electric motor bicycles are banned by the land manager.

Nor Cal on E-zion.jpg

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by og-mtb View Post
    some "frantik!" person demands that everyone to ride to the trailhead.
    "false, hysterical even".. I said I wish it were as controversial as using an ebike. No demands. No need to get defensive.

It was great riding. And not because electric motor bicycles are banned by the land manager.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	zion.jpg 
Views:	43 
Size:	465.1 KB 
ID:	1245870
    looks like a great time!

fc
    Ebike spotted

Sheís an owner of Scottís Valley Cycle Sport and a Nica coach. Last year, ebike surprised them with ~30% of sales . This year, quite a bit more.
    IPA will save America

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    Nor Cal on E-img_1119.jpg

2019 arrived earlier than expected! OK snow can melt now.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Can't you ride at the military base?

Bay Area has seen a lot of change recently. Here's some places right here:
    - entire Santa Clara County Parks sytem where bikes are allowed - https://www.sccgov.org/sites/parks/P...ages/home.aspx a couple hundred miles?
    - Henry Coe State Park - one million miles of vertical
    - Wilder State Park, Emma McCrary, Pogonip
    Midpen and State Parks only allow with disability.
    Does anybody know if Alum Rock Park is ok to ride on the bike trails with an ebike? It looks like the county parks around there are ok but Alum Rock is a city park
    Last edited by frantik!; 04-08-2019 at 05:10 PM.

Hella Olde
    It was announced today that USAC is governing the SOC Ebike race.

https://www.bicycleretailer.com/anno...e#.XKvPjqZ7nm0

After all these years, I cannot seem to post my remarks to the right part of a thread. Can I speak to the UX engineer?

mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    Does anybody know if Alum Rock Park is ok to ride on the bike trails with an ebike? It looks like the county parks around there are ok but Alum Rock is a city park
    It's hard to imagine the rangers there: A. Being able to tell the difference or B. Caring.

It's a pretty chill park! Nothing on their website indicates that they're not allowed.
    Ride fast. Huck bravely. Waste no beer. Safety third.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Sheís an owner of Scottís Valley Cycle Sport and a Nica coach. Last year, ebike surprised them with ~30% of sales . This year, quite a bit more.
    I think that's pretty common across bike shops.

mtbr member

Nor Cal on E

Quote Originally Posted by cassieno View Post
    SVCS sells more Specialized E-bikes than anywhere else in the country. Or so Iíve been told by an employee.

mtbr member
    Rode one for kicks this past weekend at a Pivot demo, it was hilarious. I would never buy one, but it was definitely fun two wheel drifting up hill.

I can see someone inexperienced getting in over their head quickly on one though.
    East Bay Parks AKA East Bay Cattle Ranches

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Callender View Post
    It's hard to imagine the rangers there: A. Being able to tell the difference or B. Caring.

It's a pretty chill park! Nothing on their website indicates that they're not allowed.
    Yeah it's definitely chill and I didn't see anything on the web site either. I know the rangers are active there though so wouldn't want to get caught up if they were prohibited. That's probably going to be the place I hit up first with my ebike for some offroad climbing testing

fc
    For many, it's been the difference between closing shop, layoffs AND making money. Bike companies too.

Published April 2 (not 1 )

Bike sales down sharply except E - https://www.bicycleretailer.com/stud...s#.XKwJLOtKjUI

And this is the US. What's happened in Europe is way beyond this.
    IPA will save America

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    When you sell an ebike are you required to disclose the odometer reading?

Moderator Moderator
    When you sell an ebike are you required to. Disclose the odometer reading?
    I think you have to get a smog cert.

fc
    My buddy, OMR said, "In about 5 years, I might get one."

I said, "HOW OLD ARE YOU NOW?"

"78." He said.

#truestory
    IPA will save America

mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    I rode with OMR on his 70th birthday (Mt. Pinos shuttles) and he was charging.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Yea, I got one. Why? Because it's friggin fun! And yea, so are my single speed, my DH bike, my cross bike, my road bike, and my vintage bikes. I just like riding bikes. Ride what makes you happy and don't worry about what everyone else is riding. FYI, I'm not old, unfit or lazy as mentioned many many times regarding e-bikers. I just love riding bikes!

fc
    I rode with OMR on his 70th birthday (Mt. Pinos shuttles) and he was charging.
    Ha, ha!!!! I finally rode with him at Downieville. Old Man Riding.

Sadly for us, he moved to Asheville, NC.
    IPA will save America

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by tahoebeau View Post

Name:	30171A33-183E-4E5A-8268-ABD07098FC65.jpg 
Views:	35 
Size:	321.0 KB 
ID:	1245859
    Everyone I know with e-bikes don't live within reasonable riding distance to any trails. I'm pretty sure they only get like one ride a week too which impacts fitness. So yeah they end up driving their e-bikes to trails. If I had that lifestyle I'd just quit riding. But I'm glad they ride their e-bikes because I was able to meet them and make cool riding friends.

The only way anyone is getting me on an e-bike is if I'm super old like 80 or I have some sort of physical impairment. I'm fat and out of shape. I absolutely hate climbing but it feels good knowing that my obese lard ass can make it to the top with no assistance other than my own persistence.

I just wanna go fast!
    I have ridden quite a few ebikes and I'd love to have one in the stable to ride, especially if some friends had one too... but at the moment my pedal bike is more fun down hills(faster) so there's no way I'm replacing it and the rest of my disposable income is going to other money-pit type hobbies.

used to be RipRoar
    I'm with Jeeper, Just ride it, don't criticise it....

Love my analogue bikes and the Digi is a blast too....

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    I use mine exclusively at Coe. I explore new routes and get deep into the park where I seldom see others. I have seen so much more of the park and found some nice lakes and trails. I have checked in the with the ranger(s) and they are fine with these bikes being used out there. Today I was out looking for superblooms.

Nor Cal on E-levo.jpg

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by schudes View Post
    Today I was out looking for superblooms.

Name:	levo.jpg 
Views:	53 
Size:	422.9 KB 
ID:	1246431
    OH God don't show that photo around, you'll get lumped in with the helicopter set.

mtbr member
    The bigger concern here are the poor shuttle drivers who have to lift a 50 pound Ebike on top of a van! Will there be a Ebike surcharge when you book a shuttle? Personally Iím stoked in 10 years when I turn 60 how much lighter and cheaper they will be. If you get the same satisfaction climbing up and DH as a analog rig then thats cool. Iím sure dirt bike owners felt the same when the Quad came out.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by BPSarge View Post
    The bigger concern here are the poor shuttle drivers who have to lift a 50 pound Ebike on top of a van! Will there be a Ebike surcharge when you book a shuttle? Personally Iím stoked in 10 years when I turn 60 how much lighter and cheaper they will be. If you get the same satisfaction climbing up and DH as a analog rig then thats cool. Iím sure dirt bike owners felt the same when the Quad came out.
    Quads sucked back then and they still suck now. Two wheels or no go.

inebriate savant
    Quote Originally Posted by BPSarge View Post
    The bigger concern here are the poor shuttle drivers who have to lift a 50 pound Ebike on top of a van! Will there be a Ebike surcharge when you book a shuttle?
    I love the irony of a Pivot Shuttle being lifted onto the roof of a shuttle van.
    Work smarter AND harder.

Up In Smoke
    Quote Originally Posted by jasonmason View Post
    I love the irony of a Pivot Shuttle being lifted onto the roof of a shuttle van.
    Not too sure the roof would hold up having a few e-bikes on it....isn't the idea behind an e-bike is that it takes the shuttle service out of the equation?

mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    Speaking of shuttles, e-bikes could really impact places like Ashland. It's not a bad pedal to the top on an acoustic bike, but you could do laps with an e-bike. Heck, lots of locals already have e-commuters because the streets on the west side are so steep.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by RBoardman View Post
    Quads sucked back then and they still suck now. Two wheels or no go.
    THIS!
    They should bring back 3 wheelers and market them to quad riders... the rest will sort itself out.

mtb'er
    I use mine exclusively at Coe. I explore new routes and get deep into the park where I seldom see others. I have seen so much more of the park and found some nice lakes and trails.

Name:	levo.jpg 
Views:	53 
Size:	422.9 KB 
ID:	1246431
    But what if your battery ran out!?!? How would you get out of there?!?!? Who is paying for your rescue!?!??!

(I'm kidding, of course. Just making fun of one of the anti-ebike arguments)

Nice pic.

mtbr member
    Speaking of shuttles, e-bikes could really impact places like Ashland. It's not a bad pedal to the top on an acoustic bike, but you could do laps with an e-bike. Heck, lots of locals already have e-commuters because the streets on the west side are so steep.
    Itís not bad?!? How many people do you know that would pedal to the top twice in one day?

And if I had to guess the majority of riders riding from the top are shuttling anyways.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by chrisbtsc View Post
    THIS!
    They should bring back 3 wheelers and market them to quad riders... the rest will sort itself out.
    These things?!? I wasnít riding during this era, but always hear they were a death trap waiting to happen.

NedwannaB
    These things?!? I wasnít riding during this era, but always hear they were a death trap waiting to happen.
    Exactly, dont ever put a foot down!!! Super fun to wheelie once you got the balance point dialed! I had the 200 ATX. Got my first broken collarbone and concussion on that thing. Clipped a tree stump with rear wheel cartwheeled forrr evvvurrr.

NedwannaB
    Quote Originally Posted by jeepergirl17 View Post
    Yea, I got one. Why? Because it's friggin fun! And yea, so are my single speed, my DH bike, my cross bike, my road bike, and my vintage bikes. I just like riding bikes. Ride what makes you happy and don't worry about what everyone else is riding. FYI, I'm not old, unfit or lazy as mentioned many many times regarding e-bikers. I just love riding bikes!
    This says it all. "Cant we all just get along?"😎👌

mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    Itís not bad?!? How many people do you know that would pedal to the top twice in one day?

And if I had to guess the majority of riders riding from the top are shuttling anyways.
    That was my point. More riders on e-bikes will affect the LBS shuttling business. You could beat the shuttle van to the top! If memory serves the climb is about 3000 feet from Lithia Park, so very doable for the average rider on an acoustic bike (I've done it a number of times, mainly because I'm cheap, but you also get to see a beautiful wildflower meadow).
    Last edited by Callender; 04-11-2019 at 02:28 PM.

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Empty_Beer View Post
    But what if your battery ran out!?!? How would you get out of there?!?!? Who is paying for your rescue!?!??!

Nice pic.
    Ha! That actually happened to me on this ride. Got a bit greedy with Turbo mode and rode longer than planned. Pedaled out of there on 100% human power for the last two miles. Anyone who has ridden North Coe knows how crappy the last two miles are. No rescue for me. You bite it, you chew it.

I just wanna go fast!
    That was my point. More riders on e-bikes will affect the LBS shuttling business. You could beat the shuttle van to the top! If memory serves the climb is about 3000 feet from Lithia Park, so very doable for the average rider on an acoustic bike (I've done it a number of times, mainly because I'm cheap, but you also get to see a beautiful wildflower meadow).
    I happen to know the owner of a certain Ashland shuttle company has an ebike in his stable. He doesn't seem threatened by them at all. You can do a big ride in Ashland on a ebike, but you can't do 3-4 shuttles a day big.

I just did an after work ride with about 1,600 feet of continuous climbing and our buddy's wife tagged along on an ebike. She can normally get to the top of this particular hill with a normal bicycle, but she would have been way off the back of the group we rode up with. On an ebike she could hang with the rest of the group and talk while going up rather than pedaling up alone. It was really cool.

Uncle
    Cons, I can only afford to own 1 bike right now, and I donít think they are worthy of replacing my current bike.
    Funny, in my browser your "current bike" is hyperlinked(?). Can you click it? Yes you can!:
    [URL="https://www.jcpenney.com/p/monster-moto-muddy-girl-mini-bike/ppr5007534747?pTmplType=regular&catId=cat100260122&deptId=dept20000016&urlState=/g/ride-ons-kids-games-toys/N-bwo40D1nox7eZ1z14075&productGridView=medium[/URL]

NedwannaB
    Quote Originally Posted by bdamschen View Post
    I happen to know the owner of a certain Ashland shuttle company has an ebike in his stable. He doesn't seem threatened by them at all. You can do a big ride in Ashland on a ebike, but you can't do 3-4 shuttles a day big.

I just did an after work ride with about 1,600 feet of continuous climbing and our buddy's wife tagged along on an ebike. She can normally get to the top of this particular hill with a normal bicycle, but she would have been way off the back of the group we rode up with. On an ebike she could hang with the rest of the group and talk while going up rather than pedaling up alone. It was really cool.
    Words. 😎

NedwannaB
    Never been to Ashland(yet) not saying you're dissing the ebikes or not but I would think the percentage of riders converting over to ebikes is a small percentage of the amount of riders with 'acoustic analog' bikes that will keep riding them and pay the small pittance to support the shuttle fee.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    I have no problems with EBikes, I just donít ever see getting one. Between a shuttle ride and riding uphill to do the full loop, solo Iíd always prefer to ride the entire ride. I make the exception if Iím hanging with a lot of shuttle friends.

If Iím too old to ride, Iím too old to fall off a heavy bike too. Itíd change so much of what I enjoy about riding that Iíd probably move on to something else. Iíd just stick with road or gravel or start one of those old man activities that I have on my list.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    But what if your battery ran out!?!? How would you get out of there?!?!?
    Ha! That actually happened to me on this ride. Got a bit greedy with Turbo mode and rode longer than planned. Pedaled out of there on 100% human power for the last two miles. Anyone who has ridden North Coe knows how crappy the last two miles are. No rescue for me. You bite it, you chew it.
    I guess that's what they mean about getting a better workout on an ebike.

Sent from my SM-P900 using Tapatalk

fc

Cedric had a cool ebike today. ~38 lbs
    IPA will save America

Rollin 29s

Nor Cal on E

I went on a Specialized demo day ride (on my Ripmo) last week, and a guy was demoing an e-bike.

He let me try it up the steepest climb on the route. I was impressed by the lack of effort required, and the power and speed in which I was able to get up that hill, but I have no desire to buy one.

It took me 4 months of riding 3 to 4 times/ week after a period of poor to inconsistent riding to get myself in shape to the point I could ride the far reaches of the park comfortably.

Iím 50, and I feel I have a lot of miles left in my tank - and Iím now in better shape and faster than I was 15 years ago due to consistency and effort.

There are circumstances where they probably make sense for some. If you get 3 downhill runs instead of one at your hike-a-bike local hill, that is one. I donít see them as a good excuse for someone who doesnít want to put in the time to get in shape.

Whoever invented the bicycle deserves the thanks of humanity.
    - Lord Charles Beresford

mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by JMac47 View Post
    Never been to Ashland(yet) not saying you're dissing the ebikes or not...
    Not dissing ebikes at all, just saying that if I had one I wouldn't need a shuttle service at places like Ashland. And in 5 years or so I'll bet that's pretty common. Regardless, you should go! It's an awesome little town (it has a Mayberry R.F.D. feel only with good beer) with a bunch of really fun trails. I like it way more than Downieville.
    Last edited by Callender; 04-12-2019 at 02:02 PM.

Life's a Garden, dig it!
    I use the Nancy Reagan approach...

Just say, No!

"And crawling on the planet's face, some insects called, The Human Race..."

NedwannaB
    Quote Originally Posted by isleblue65 View Post
    I went on a Specialized demo day ride (on my Ripmo) last week, and a guy was demoing an e-bike.

He let me try it up the steepest climb on the route. I was impressed by the lack of effort required, and the power and speed in which I was able to get up that hill, but I have no desire to buy one.

It took me 4 months of riding 3 to 4 times/ week after a period of poor to inconsistent riding to get myself in shape to the point I could ride the far reaches of the park comfortably.

Iím 50, and I feel I have a lot of miles left in my tank - and Iím now in better shape and faster than I was 15 years ago due to consistency and effort.

There are circumstances where they probably make sense for some. If you get 3 downhill runs instead of one at your hike-a-bike local hill, that is one. I donít see them as a good excuse for someone who doesnít want to put in the time to get in shape.

Check out what the bloaks say during/after some of their ride vids on EMBN. You could be in "better" overall shape after riding ebikes in a shorter time frame. 😎

NedwannaB

38#!?! That is some build! The Shuttle comes in around 44. The SWorks would come in somewheres between the two I would think. Who's got weights on those?

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    My 39 Lb E-Bike. Cost $400 + my backup Reign.

Nor Cal on E-ebike1.jpg

Nor Cal on E-ebike4.jpg

I turned 60 last year and gained some medical issues. I've been riding bikes in the dirt since the '60's and I'm not going to quit now, so I converted my old Reign.

I wanted a very low power, light weight hill assist. The bike started off a bit heavy at 34Lb, and the complete E-conversion added 5 1/2 lbs. It climbs great at 60 to 250 watts, (2.5 to 4.5 mph), and can do 500 watts if I need it (very rarely).

It has a 100 watt hour battery, which is more than enough for 1-3 hour rides with 1500 feet or so of climbing. I've run the numbers, and the motor does about 1/3 of the climbing work.

Some of my (younger/fitter) riding partners request that I bring the E-bike so I don't need to bail out early. We often climb fire trails side by side and chat. On flats and downhills I never use any assist, and it pedals just like without the motor. On the downhills it rips just like any good Reign.

Here's a link to the build details:
    https://endless-sphere.com/forums/vi...p?f=28&t=96769
    Anyone who can operate a hacksaw and soldering iron could duplicate it.

I just wanna go fast!

woah woah woah. I know you have more pictures of that thing somewhere.

Moderator Moderator
    I'm likely buying my wife an eBike for Christmas. Will be good to keep around the house for friends to ride as well.

mtbr member
    Mar 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by bdamschen View Post
    woah woah woah. I know you have more pictures of that thing somewhere.

Mo shows more & interview.
    https://youtu.be/uYKxRwLbtFY?t=379

mtbr member
    Mar 2016
    If you understood power-sliding was the ONLY way they cornered safely, they were a hoot. Anything else & they rolled & hurt ya.

Rode a buddy's 200X up the Deer Valley Trail from Hermit Valley on CA4 to Red Lake on CA88. Imagine climbing a 2-track deep-rutted jeep trail with 3 fat tires. You drop the front into a rut & climb steeply with a level attitude. It was trippy!

Big fun at creek crossings! :-)

Catfish ...

mtbr member
    Iím going to put this video up then take it down if you want to see what you are missing... Enjoy.

Moderator Moderator
    Video doesn't accurately depict how steep that stuff is. That is some sick riding.

mtbr member
    Yeah the GoPro effect is almost embarrassing. Nursing a shoulder injury so trying to be as cautious as you can get on those trails.

mtbr member
    Thatís an impressive heart rate to sustain that high for 45 minutes. Ebike racing.

mtbr member
    Jun 2018
    Yes, definitely allowed. I called the San Jose parks department to verify.

It's not my favorite trail system, but I can reach it from my house without loading the bike into the truck.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by notb View Post
    Yes, definitely allowed. I called the San Jose parks department to verify.

It's not my favorite trail system, but I can reach it from my house without loading the bike into the truck.

thanks for the info! It's not the greatest but like you say at least it's close to the city

YOUREGO ISNOT YOURAMIGO
    Quote Originally Posted by Dpca10 View Post
    Iím going to put this video up then take it down if you want to see what you are missing... Enjoy.
    Welp, there goes the neighborhood.

jms
    mtbr member
    Most people would be lucky is keep up, descending or climbing, with my friends that have an e-bike in the stable. They just want to ride more. I also see a fair amount of older riders or people recovering from injuries on them. Familiarity breeds understanding.
    Depends where and how far you and your friends are riding then doesn't it? I doubt I'll see many E-Bikes where you've got to shoulder your bike for a quarter mile, or anything multi-day like a multi-day event w/o an electrical outlet. But, indeed to each his own.
    My Favorite Peeps:

jms
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by JMac47 View Post
    You may be missing out on some fun times in your earlier golden years! 😎
    Haven't yet w/o one those EMOpeds.
    My Favorite Peeps:

jms
    mtbr member
    My buddy, OMR said, "In about 5 years, I might get one."

I said, "HOW OLD ARE YOU NOW?"

"78." He said.

#truestory
    Great story FC. Amen to OMR. : )
    My Favorite Peeps:

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by GoGoGordo View Post
    Welp, there goes the neighborhood.
    God damn ebikes!!!!!!

mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    Ha, ha!!!! I finally rode with him at Downieville. Old Man Riding.

Sadly for us, he moved to Asheville, NC.
    Actually, he lives outside of Atlanta, so he's not climbing Demo or anything close to that. Still, he has lived up to his screen name!

fc
    Actually, he lives outside of Atlanta, so he's not climbing Demo or anything close to that. Still, he has lived up to his screen name!
    Thatís right. He says heís really slowed down now and can only ride once a week . But he just bought a fancy Guerilla Gravity Smash
    IPA will save America

mtbr member
    Rode one out in SC and it was decent. But the cool part was being able to ride with my dad and his friend, and not have them be done after 2 laps. They both were super stoked and love being able to socialize on the climbs (vs suffering from lack of riding) and getting much more miles than they would have been able on regular bikes.

For me it was just meh. We rode in the lowest power setting and climbed at the pace of a fit rider all day. (I got zero uphill PRís). And the batteries still ran low before I would have normally been done.

Still have no hate for ebikes, even though I felt a little uncomfortable riding by other people. But if the day comes where there are charging stations at the tanks, then we have gone too far and it will be time to break out the pitch forks.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Entrenador View Post
    Funny, in my browser your "current bike" is hyperlinked(?). Can you click it? Yes you can!:
    [URL="https://www.jcpenney.com/p/monster-moto-muddy-girl-mini-bike/ppr5007534747?pTmplType=regular&catId=cat100260122&deptId=dept20000016&urlState=/g/ride-ons-kids-games-toys/N-bwo40D1nox7eZ1z14075&productGridView=medium[/URL]
    Not e-bike related. More e-browser related. If you're getting random words associated with ad links, your browser may have been hijacked. If you're on Windows, try the Malicious Software Removal Tool (google it to download from Microsoft) or the free version of Malwarebytes.

mtbr member
    Mar 2016

Still have no hate for ebikes, even though I felt a little uncomfortable riding by other people. But if the day comes where there are charging stations at the tanks, then we have gone too far and it will be time to break out the pitch forks.

Pitch forks & torches?!?

Any day now, the guy who pulls his bike trailer up there with tools & spares may bring a Honda generator! ;-)

Catfish ...

fc
    I may finally get into the gravel thing. 27 lb assisted gravel bike so one can explore the vast expanse.

And if I don't want the motor, I can take it out and this will be a 20 lb bike with a storage cavity on the downtube for a footlong subway sammich and drink!!Nor Cal on E-img_4737-1-.jpg

This is kinda significant since this is where a segment of emtbs are going as well. Light, modular and removable motors and batteries.

This bike is already sold in Europe and will be here in the fall. There's a mountain bike that was tested in the Cape Epic race too.

Commuting, exploring long and far... maybe.
    IPA will save America

Captain One Lung Administrator
    And if I don't want the motor, I can take it out and this will be a 20 lb bike with a storage cavity on the downtube for a footlong subway sammich and drink!!
    Or a super burrito!

Life's a Garden, dig it!
    Quote Originally Posted by JCWages View Post
    Or a super burrito!
    There goes that weight advantage.

Captain One Lung Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by chuckha62 View Post
    Depending on where you buy it from it may only be a weight penalty for a couple of hours..... LOL

Dream it, Do it.
    One big downside of e-bikes for me is that they aren't as fun on the downhills with the added weight. The weight of e-bikes makes them less easy to move around, let alone jump. Tires that are otherwise pretty beefy also seem less capable to me with the added weight of the electric motor and battery.

On the other hand, riding an e-bike certainly provides the ability to do more laps.
    Dirt Merchant Bikes
    www.dirtmerchantbikes.com
    Seattle area dealer for Turner Bikes & Cleary Bikes

fc
    Chimichanga or a giant doobie!

Maaaan, we could have a contest of what we could stuff in there.Nor Cal on E-sausasge_em9ujo.jpg
    IPA will save America

Moderator Moderator

Maaaan, we could have a contest of what we could stuff in there.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	sausasge_em9ujo.jpg 
Views:	32 
Size:	131.7 KB 
ID:	1247218
    Havenít you seen Spinal Tap?

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Truth. We need to be pushing ourselves more, not less.
    You ride longer and further with an ebike. The climbs now become more of a Zone3 workout vs a threshold/Zone5 workout. You are also fresher for the DH portion. Overall, I burn more calories on an ebike.
    Lead by my Lefty............... right down the trail, no brakes.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    When you sell an ebike are you required to disclose the odometer reading?
    I think this is sarcasm, but if not..................
    In buying a used ebike, I'd be concerned with what the status of the battery is. I know the Spec ones have some kind of charge cycle counter.

mtbr member
    May 2007

Nice pic.
    I saw him. His helmet has a solar panel on it that keeps the battery charged. We all know Coe has so much direct and menacing sun

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Exactly, 5 laps with an ebike in 2 hours????? Or, 2 laps on an acoustic bike?
    I'll take door number one.

Up In Smoke
    Quote Originally Posted by ziscwg View Post
    Exactly, 5 laps with an ebike in 2 hours????? Or, 2 laps on an acoustic bike?
    I'll take door number one.
    What is an acoustic bike?

banned
    Dec 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by Spectre View Post
    One big downside of e-bikes for me is that they aren't as fun on the downhills with the added weight. The weight of e-bikes makes them less easy to move around, let alone jump. Tires that are otherwise pretty beefy also seem less capable to me with the added weight of the electric motor and battery.

On the other hand, riding an e-bike certainly provides the ability to do more laps.
    I didn't get this impression at all. The road bikes I've owned are/were in the 20 lbs range and can get blown around very easily on descents on windy days. Strong sidewinds in particular can make long twisty descents very sketchy.

The extra weight of an ebike makes it feel more planted and stable. Definitely more resistant to head and sidewinds. And to tailwinds for that matter. :-)

As far as being less tossable, or other such characteristics, they added weight along with assist make any sort of apples to apples comparisons impossible. Yes, the unassisted bike feels lighter when rocking the bike back and forth climbing standing (because it is), but does this "light feeling" compensate for the fact that you are struggling to ride uphill at 2 mph vs. 8 to mph on a bike with assist?

The bicycling industry has had these types of traditional vs. new tech debates for decades. Grant Petersen was always against suspension, saying wider tires and good technique (bending your knees and elbows) was good enough for any ride. Yeah, right. Take a single ride for 10 seconds on a full suspension bike vs rigid over one bump and you'll always want that fully suspended bike from that point on.

Mountain bikes with suspension aren't real bikes. They're motocross. They don't belong in the sport. Never mind the sport of mountain biking had just been invented.

Disc brakes. What? Regular calipers are so much lighter and easier to maintain! Plus, rim brakes ARE disc brakes. Now, no one rides with rim brakes. I used to argue ferociously against disc brakes. Especially when I had only ridden crappy mechanical disc brakes. Once I tried nicer, higher end hydraulic disc brakes, game over. Go check out the road bike forums when discs were being introduced. Lots of fear factor stories about pro racers being chopped into pepperoni slices by disc brakes in crashes. Funny how no one's worried any more.

Integrated brake/shift levers: too heavy. No complaints now on 16.5 lbs road bikes with disc brakes and full suspension (Roubaix).

If you want to ride unassisted bicycles, they will be around indefinitely. No one will force you to ride an e-bike. There are plenty of single speed and fixed speed riders. Some people even ride unicycles. Others ride skateboards and scooters, assisted and unassisted.

Just ride.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ziscwg View Post
    I think this is sarcasm, but if not..................
    In buying a used ebike, I'd be concerned with what the status of the battery is. I know the Spec ones have some kind of charge cycle counter.
    Thatís a concern with normal bikes too. If Iím buying a bike I want to find the one that sits in the garage for 98% of the year and is being sold because it never used, and not a bike that gets ridden 5 days a week.

fc
    Quote Originally Posted by 5k bike 50cent legs View Post
    Havenít you seen Spinal Tap?
    actually no. explain pls.
    IPA will save America

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Spectre View Post

I had assumed the same, but these bikes look really capable...

]

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    He said they aren't as fun for him. Not that they aren't capable....

His tire comment I don't understand. Tires have been able to withstand the weight of DH bikes for years and those were ****ing heavy.

fc
    Quote Originally Posted by chrisbtsc View Post
    I had assumed the same, but these bikes look really capable...

Three years ago, they all sucked. Today, a few of them are quite good. Shuttle, Levo 2.0, Decoy deliver descending moments now where you forgot what type of bike you're on.

The slower you go and the more change of direction needed, the more you'll feel the weight. On many fast situations, you won't notice with the three bikes mentioned above. And the added weight and traction on the front tire is a good aid.

In three years, they will be beyond what we know. Most of the R&D in mtbs will be pouring into these e-things.

It's hard to significantly improve an SB150 or Ripmo. Ebike.... there's a few possibilities.

Adolf (who names their kid that) rides well here. And he rides from home to the top of the hill, a couple laps, rides to the jump park day in, day out. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ng0nSY9CZY
    IPA will save America

Moderator Moderator

Maaaan, we could have a contest of what we could stuff in there.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	sausasge_em9ujo.jpg 
Views:	32 
Size:	131.7 KB 
ID:	1247218

Moderator Moderator
    Three years ago, they all sucked. Today, a few of them are quite good. Shuttle, Levo 2.0, Decoy deliver descending moments now where you forgot what type of bike you're on.

The slower you go and the more change of direction needed, the more you'll feel the weight. On many fast situations, you won't notice with the three bikes mentioned above. And the added weight and traction on the front tire is a good aid.

In three years, they will be beyond what we know. Most of the R&D in mtbs will be pouring into these e-things.

It's hard to significantly improve an SB150 or Ripmo. Ebike.... there's a few possibilities.

Adolf (who names their kid that) rides well here. And he rides from home to the top of the hill, a couple laps, rides to the jump park day in, day out. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ng0nSY9CZY
    Talked with a shop owner on the trails the other day, he told me there's an eBike in the works that has incredible range and weighs sub 35lbs. Can't recall the name of the bike.

mtbr member
    Sep 2015
    There was an elderly guy at Annadel unloading his e-bike. I took off hoping he didnít come up behind me an roost me with dirt😀

Iím not gonna guess his vintage, but damn he had this shit eating grin on his face. He was clearly having a blast. It made me feel happy to see him out and about.
    Santa Cruz 5010 C
    Surly Crosscheck.

Life's a Garden, dig it!
    Quote Originally Posted by 5k bike 50cent legs View Post
    Talked with a shop owner on the trails the other day, he told me there's an eBike in the works that has incredible range and weighs sub 35lbs. Can't recall the name of the bike.
    The UnobtainEum

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast