mtbr member

Non-profit mtb trail orgs in CA

If you know, of the various trail stewards in the state, which get the least support? Who needs it the most? Also, maybe if you factor lack of support with who does the most work?

Track Junkie
    Where my money goes. They've built more new trail mileage in the North Bay / NorCal area than any other organization I'm aware of.

Forest Trails Alliance
    I get paid to ride shotgun.

mtbr member
    Nov 2018
    www.tamba.org

Tahoe Area Mountain Bike Association. Built the Corral Trail and supports Mr. Toads and building new ones like Angora Ridge to Lily Lake. Also the Downieville one Sierra Buttes I've donated to and does amazing work up there which we all enjoy.

mtbr member
    I don't know about rankings, but I know Redding Trail Alliance has done a lot of good work in the last couple years but now has a lot of work ahead of them to restore and rebuild all the trails in their area

Moderator Moderator
    Last edited by 5k bike 50cent legs; 2 Weeks Ago at 12:37 PM.

mtbr member
    Jan 2018
    +1 to Sierra Buttes Trail Stewardship. Great guys and gals and do phenomenal work.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Octane View Post
    Where my money goes. They've built more new trail mileage in the North Bay / NorCal area than any other organization I'm aware of.

Forest Trails Alliance
    100% agreed on FTA. Ride one of their trails, which if you are reading this there is probably one nearby, then realize we could have more of these!

I highly recommend Dan's Wild Ride or Scott's Flats as an example of the trails these guys build. Both are freakin amazing!
    2018 Trek Farley Ex 8 - One bike to rule them all!

mtbr member
    I should preface saying I know the names of many and donate to five in norcal. Fatrac, Bonc, TT, Tamba, SBTS.

Of all the orgs, who needs the most financial support, if you know? I doubt TT, Tamba and SBTS - but that's a guess.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Octane View Post

Forest Trails Alliance
    I just learned of this one recently - will look into them more, thanks.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by boomn View Post
    I don't know about rankings, but I know Redding Trail Alliance has done a lot of good work in the last couple years but now has a lot of work ahead of them to restore and rebuild all the trails in their area
    Considering this one too - thanks.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by roughster View Post
    100% agreed on FTA. Ride one of their trails, which if you are reading this there is probably one nearby, then realize we could have more of these!

I highly recommend Dan's Wild Ride or Scott's Flats as an example of the trails these guys build. Both are freakin amazing!
    It's done! Nevada City / GV needs more trails. Hopefully they can make progress in years to come.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Endubro45 View Post
    +1 to Sierra Buttes Trail Stewardship. Great guys and gals and do phenomenal work.
    Probably the best there is in GnarCal. But there are some close seconds!

mtbr member
    Here's a few I try to support with digging or dough, or letter writing campaigns and meeting attendance when called upon. All do righteous work, and we benefit from the trail systems they support and advocacy they do:

Mountain Bikers of Santa Cruz: Mountain Bikers of Santa Cruz
    - Demo, Wilder, Pogonip trails Old Cabin and Big Trees races, and more to come.
    - A shining example of a local stewardship/advocacy group

Silicon Valley Mountain Bikers: https://www.svmtb.org/
    - Holds the line and keeps Mid-Pen from banning us from the entire peninsula
    - https://www.svmtb.org/accomplishments/

Bicycle Trails Council of the East Bay (BTCEB): https://www.bicycletrailscouncil.org/
    - EBRP trails stewardship
    - Fighting to ensure bikers get as close to the same rights as cows in the East Bay

Access 4 Bikes (A4B): https://access4bikes.com/
    - Long-suffering stewards and advocates for bike trails in Marin
    - Protectors of bike access in the Road and Trail Management Plan

Ukiah Valley Trail Group: Ukiah Valley Trail Group | Great Trails. Close to Home.
    - Small org working with an under resourced county to build and maintain multi-use trails in Ukiah.
    - Builder/Maintainers of Mendo Lake trails, Low-Gap Park trails and more

Mendo Coast Cyclists: https://mendocc.org/
    - Builder/Maintainers of the wonderful Jackson Demo Forest trails in Ft Bragg and more

If you can't support them all, pick the one closest to home or the one fighting the evil-est foe and kick them your support. Maybe hit up their websites or mailing lists and support their write-in campaigns even if you can only put your dollars into one group. If nothing else, some of these groups put on festival fund raisers that let you plan a weekend of riding and support a worthy cause.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    Bear Valley Trail Stewardship (BVTS) is new as of last year. I am part of this group. We have received great guidance from Sierra Buttes to get off the ground.
    Bike magazine did a story about the group and the area. The riding in Bear valley is great but the trails have suffered from neglect for many years. Last summer BVTS contributed well over 200 hours maintaining trails and it shows. Next year. We have big plans for next year and any $$ raised will affect our ability to realize these plans.

Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk

ol'guy who says hi &waves
    oops, nevermind

I may not have the best of everything, but I have the best everything that matters.

J-Flo
    Apr 2012
    Those of us who donít dig much should give $ to those who do. Iíve supported most of the above organizations. Am going to have to check out Forest trails alliance as Iíve heard some good things. Where in the Bay Area can their work be found?

One that is on my list to support is the TROGS. Do they have a website?

Moderator Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by J-Flo View Post
    Those of us who donít dig much should give $ to those who do. Iíve supported most of the above organizations. Am going to have to check out Forest trails alliance as Iíve heard some good things. Where in the Bay Area can their work be found?

Like a shovel, $$$ is also an important tool.

mtbr member
    ...Am going to have to check out Forest trails alliance as Iíve heard some good things. Where in the Bay Area can their work be found?...
    North End Trail at Lake Berryessa

https://www.youtube.com/user/MrJibms...orth+end+trail

And pretty much everything at Moore Creek Park
    https://napavalleyregister.com/lifes...72fc26eb5.html

https://www.youtube.com/user/MrJibms...ore+Creek+park

ol'guy who says hi &waves

The TROGS are just a few beer swilling flatlanders who support the larger Pinecrest Mountain Bike Association, a real 501c3 non-profit whose website is currenly under construction. But the donate part functions. Thank you for your support.

https://www.paypal.com/donate/?token...US&locale.x=US

EDIT: Paypal link has a timer. Sorry, nevermind.
    Last edited by fred-da-trog; 1 Week Ago at 06:41 AM.

I may not have the best of everything, but I have the best everything that matters.

tjp
    mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Shameless plug follows:

So many good organizations mentioned here, but here is another: Redwood Coast Mountain Bike Association, Humboldt County.

Those of you who have ridden the new Blue Lake trails know what we've been up to, but among other things we maintain the trails at Lacks Creek, support the growing (30 riders at the first practice on Saturday!) Humboldt Composite High School Mountain Bike team and have several other important projects in the pipeline.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by tjp View Post
    Those of you who have ridden the new Blue Lake trails know what we've been up to
    This is the only organization in California I know of that is currently building the types of trails that advanced mountain bikers want to ride, raw and natural. Amazing stuff up there!