No. Las Trampas Park is a mess- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

No. Las Trampas Park is a mess

I did my first ride in Las Trampas Regional Wilderness (near Danville) since the heavy rains of March.

The southern portion, from Las Trampas Ridge Trail above Remington Loop to Del Amigo Trail, is very nice. It's dry, with wildflowers and no cattle, and the same great views as always.

Once north of Del Amigo Trail, however, it's a different story. Madrone Trail is a mess in places, particularly north of the Camille St. entrance. It's got a foot-deep mud bog and many muddy sections, which the cattle are gouging up. It also has a major washout. It took me an hour to slog through three miles of it, and I had to explain my passage to the cattle at one point. Unfortunately, the cattle are unfamiliar with the California Environmental Quality Act, the Clean Water Act, the National Environmental Policy Act, and the East Bay Regional Park District's governing ordinance (Ordinance 38), and one cow peed gallons in a stream after eroding its banks while I watched.

I think it'll be weeks before the northern part is comfortably rideable. I just spent an hour cleaning the muck off my bike.

Those of us who like Las Trampas should try to negotiate with the East Bay Regional Park District for legal access to the singletrack portion of Las Trampas Ridge Trail. Going on the Ridge Trail singletrack would allow us to avoid the long drop down Del Amigo Trail to Madrone Trail, the subsequent climb back up Madrone, and the mud bogs. I will be urging BTCEB to take this up. The park supervisor is adamantly opposed, however, and the EBRPD board member who represents that area is not likely to favor it either.

If you want to present your views to EBRPD, e-mail your board member. You can find his or her e-mail address at this site: http://www.ebparks.org/district/board.htm. I suggest saying something about access to Las Trampas Ridge Trail and about the cattle. Please send me a copy.

Ted Stroll

Feeling a little taller
    Quote Originally Posted by imtnbke
    I did my first ride in Las Trampas Regional Wilderness (near Danville) since the heavy rains of March.

The southern portion, from Las Trampas Ridge Trail above Remington Loop to Del Amigo Trail, is very nice. It's dry, with wildflowers and no cattle, and the same great views as always.

Once north of Del Amigo Trail, however, it's a different story. Madrone Trail is a mess in places, particularly north of the Camille St. entrance. It's got a foot-deep mud bog and many muddy sections, which the cattle are gouging up. It also has a major washout. It took me an hour to slog through three miles of it, and I had to explain my passage to the cattle at one point. Unfortunately, the cattle are unfamiliar with the California Environmental Quality Act, the Clean Water Act, the National Environmental Policy Act, and the East Bay Regional Park District's governing ordinance (Ordinance 38), and one cow peed gallons in a stream after eroding its banks while I watched.

I think it'll be weeks before the northern part is comfortably rideable. I just spent an hour cleaning the muck off my bike.

Those of us who like Las Trampas should try to negotiate with the East Bay Regional Park District for legal access to the singletrack portion of Las Trampas Ridge Trail. Going on the Ridge Trail singletrack would allow us to avoid the long drop down Del Amigo Trail to Madrone Trail, the subsequent climb back up Madrone, and the mud bogs. I will be urging BTCEB to take this up. The park supervisor is adamantly opposed, however, and the EBRPD board member who represents that area is not likely to favor it either.

If you want to present your views to EBRPD, e-mail your board member. You can find his or her e-mail address at this site: http://www.ebparks.org/district/board.htm. I suggest saying something about access to Las Trampas Ridge Trail and about the cattle. Please send me a copy.

Ted Stroll
    This trail is an excellent cause, Ted. When I lived in San Ramon, I would climb to the top of the Bollinger trail and have no where else to go but down onto Madrone and complete a loop by returning via the Iron Horse Trail and Crow Cyn Blvd. It would be nice to have a full loop in the park, legal for mountain biking.

There has to be a way to fight against an employee of the park district - who collects a salary from my taxes - and is unfairly opposed to mountain biking. This ingrate has to answer to a rational person or group who have some semblance of control over him.

The Board members who oversee this park are Beverly Lane ([email protected]) and John Sutter ([email protected]) and they have been very responsive about our pleas for a better mountain bike experience in the East Bay Regional Park District. Ms. Lane is the Ward 6, Danville rep and Mr. Sutter is the Ward 2, Oakland rep.

Especially if you live in one of these wards, please email them both!

As a reminder, the rest of the EBRPD Board members are:

Ward 1, Berkeley - Nancy Skinner. Ms. Skinner replaced Jean Siri recently after Ms. Siri passed away. She will be up for election as a permanent member in November. So far, I have no experience with her, so I do not know her views on mountain biking. We need to feel her out before the elections.

Ward 3, Castro Valley - Carol Severin ([email protected])

Ward 4, Alameda - Doug Siden ([email protected])

Ward 5, Livermore - Ayn Wieskamp ([email protected])

Ward 7, Martinez - Ted Radke ([email protected])

The older 6 board members and the late Jean Siri have all been fair and impartial in their assessments of the trails that we have proposed to them in the last couple of years for opening to mountain biking. They have heard our voices and tasked their employees with proper research methods to determine whether a trail is safe to open for our use.

Hopefully, as we increase in numbers, they will continue to hear us and continue their fair assessments.

YOU as a mountain biker can make your voice heard and they will listen!

This only applies to parks in the East Bay Regional Park District. If you have questions concerning parks in other jurisdictions, feel free to contact me or the Bicycle Trails Council of the East Bay for assistance in setting up a communication method with the park supervisor.

Dan
    There are no stupid questions but there are A LOT of inquisitive idiots.

Bicycle Trails Council of the East Bay

May 2006

Opening Las Trampas

I live near Las Trampas and think it is a shame that mtn bikers aren't allowed greater access. I would love to work with you guys to help open up the trails. I will take your advice and write to the appropriate eb parks folks.

Last weekend I was in the Las Trampas from the end of Moraga. Some of the trails were torn up from horses crossing the muddy areas. I spent about 6 hours in the park and covered several miles and never saw a single person!! It was great...I loved it, but I couldn't help but think what a shame it was that only people with horses or a full day have the ability to fully utilize this park. If they opened it up to mtn bikers, they would have a lot more kids excersizing and learning about nature than just sitting in front of a TV.

I would love to be a part of a formal group that is focus on opening up Las Trampas.

cheers

mtbr member

Thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by dirthead_davis
    I live near Las Trampas and think it is a shame that mtn bikers aren't allowed greater access. I would love to work with you guys to help open up the trails. I will take your advice and write to the appropriate eb parks folks. . . .
    I would love to be a part of a formal group that is focus on opening up Las Trampas.

cheers
    It's great that you're willing to get involved in gaining better access to Las Trampas. Thank you! Coincidentally, the Bicycle Trails Council of the East Bay is having its monthly meeting tomorrow night, May 2. (See http://www.btceb.org.) Unfortunately, I won't be going, but if you'd like to, I'm sure everyone will be willing to discuss Las Trampas, and that's the ideal forum in which to get a group going regarding that park. If you want to go, you can get directions from anyone on the BTCEB board. Their numbers and e-mail addresses are listed on the website under "Who We Are" in the left-hand column. If you can't make it on such short notice, or don't like attending meetings, I'm sure you'll be helpful in other ways regarding Las Trampas. There are a lot of issues regarding that park. By the way, when I ride in it, the statistical mode of the number of people I encounter is zero, and the average is approximately one. It's a great destination, and empty most of the time!

Members who have read this thread: 0