Nisene slide?- Mtbr.com

Thread: Nisene slide?

mtbr member

Nisene slide?

Now that the freakin' weather is cooperating and daylight savings has kicked in (woo hoo), we're re-instating the post cubie-hell rides on Thursday nights.

Heard there was a slide about 3 miles in. Can anyone confirm that?

Anyone is welcome to join, btw - meet at 5:30, ride at 5:45, Sand Point or bust.
    I knew I did not want to end up in a dark wooden box in the cold ground. If nothing else, at least I wanted to be buzzard shat on a rock in the sun.
    - slocaus

29 inches and Pissed Off!
    Quote Originally Posted by rideslikeagirl
    Now that the freakin' weather is cooperating and daylight savings has kicked in (woo hoo), we're re-instating the post cubie-hell rides on Thursday nights.

Anyone is welcome to join, btw - meet at 5:30, ride at 5:45, Sand Point or bust.
    The slide is just past the Mill. No problem. There's a nice trail going over. Thursday nights. Hmmmm?

Dan C.
    CaptainKana.com
    Mountain Biking.....Cheaper than a mistress.

mtbr member

Whew

Thanks Dan - I didn't imagine there would be anything we couldn't get around.

Skeggs had quite few last week so I guess I'll be an old pro!

See ya Thursday? There's only about four of us so far.

Cheers,
    Lisa
    I knew I did not want to end up in a dark wooden box in the cold ground. If nothing else, at least I wanted to be buzzard shat on a rock in the sun.
    - slocaus

singletrack bound
    Dan-O....watch out.....I know where you live!
    T.C.:blush2:

Weird huh?

Not sure which slide you're meaning...

If you're asking 3 miles in on Highland to get to upper Nisene........

Summit Road/Highland is closed about 3 miles from the intersection of Mt.Bache/Spanish Ranch.

There is no more road. From the bottom of my driveway. It is not passable by car/truck.
    If you drive to the slide, and hike your bike..........

Be extremely careful. DO NOT PARK from the end of the driveway towards the dropoff.
    It is going to go at any time, and it'll take another car with it! Just look down the ravine to see the last car that parked there Thursday.

This section is going to be closed for at least 18 months. Probably longer.

If you want to ride Demo, you'd be better going in Through Aptos. (the area preceding the slide is private property, and people parking their cars along there WILL be a problem. )

There is another entrance at the end of Skyland Rd/Longridge Rd. It is a single track that connects to Hihn mill road at the bottom, by the bridge.
    This area is also private property. It there are any cyclists out there that live there or know the property owners, perhaps a petition for access is in order. I know some property there has changed hands, so maybe the new owners will be more agreeable. (I hope)

I know Demo is suddenly popular, rightfully so. If anyone rode there in 95-97, the road was wiped out then too. Zero access for cars. When the road opened up, Demo took off. The only thing thats supported that is the fact that there is parking access that is not on residential private property.

If you go and decide to use a turnout to park, cool. Please keep it clean and accessable to other vehicles. People really do live up here. That out of the way dirt road that climbs or decends somewhere is someone's driveway. You just cant see the house.

This latest slide bums me in more ways than one. It is going to keep a lot of people from enjoying SDF as often as they'd like. It's kinda weird. At first, 8 or 9 years ago, I was kind of bummed to see 'cars' parked down at the entrance. It had been a 'private' ride for so long.
    I got over myself and came to look forward to all the different folks out there. Unfortunately, a lot of the property owners are not in the same camp. There have been numerous complaints voiced about the volume of trash left in the area by folks driving in and parking.
    If you go via Summit.....carpool if possible. The fewer vehicles the better. When you park, make sure you aren't blocking any roads or driveways. (often the same thing) Use some of the turnouts to park, and don't extend into the roadway with your parked car. Be aware of hot engines on tall grass.....it can start a fire. (never a good idea on a 1 way road!) Be VERY aware of where you park. Highland road is carved into the side of a very steep hill. Many sections will not support the weight of a vehicle to pull off to the side of the road. Even when it's dry.
    Now for the good news: 'Weekend' cyclists driving up to do Demo or Nisene have had a very positive impact in some areas. Summit store actually started stocking PowerBars a few years back! That was news, believe me. The store's weekend traffic picked up considerably due to cyclists. Very good for business. The increased use of Summit/Highland by vehicle traffic has led Santa Cruz County to actually keep the road in good repair. (sans slides)
    In the short term, it's going to mean a longer bike ride into and out of SDF. Gonna have to mess up those Nevegals on the pavement a bit I'm afraid. Keep in mind that the amount of water that used to last till you got back to your car....is going to have to stretch a bit longer. Nothing like an uphill road climb on low pressure knobbies to get to your car many miles up the road. Carry lots of water.
    (be aware, the is water up there. At the old Loma Boy Scout camp, not the main house, but the dirt driveway that crosses the stream. Go over it, careful, sometimes theres a cable that acts as a fence right before the stream. There is a concrete water fountain by the outdoor rec area/near the water tank. The water is cold, clean, and available year round.) It's not on residential private property. For those not in the know, the camp is about 1/2 mile up the road from the yellow bridge at the entrance.)

Enjoy, be safe, and courteous.

Cheers

El Cid is Spanish for The Cid..
    cmdrpiffle 7 points 1 day ago
    Cinco de Mayo is Spanish for Cinco de Mayo

fc
    head minion Administrator
    Attached is a photo of the Highaland slide .

I crossed it with a bunch of roadies on Saturday and it's fine. It takes about 2 minutes to cross. Only your cleats will get muddy.

There is a higher hiking line on the slide if you don't like being so close to the edge.

See those white plastic poles on the photo? Walk on the inside of those posts. Not outside since there's not much support.

You can park near the slide, (there were about 10 cars on Sat) or anywhere earlier on the road.

francois

Last edited by fc; 05-08-2006 at 03:13 PM.

Medium?
    Quote Originally Posted by francois
    Attached is a photo of the slide below.

francois

Ah ha! Maybe when the uberlord is affected by a problem, it will get solved? All the vBulletin attachments are like this though. Bummer. It would be nice to attach to the attachments... The alternative is to "save image as" and upload a 2nd copy.

Whazzup with that Thursday MBTB ride? Email I sent? PM I sent? Patty wants to host happy hour afterwards. Did she ping you too?

mtbr member
    theres a good pic of the niscene slide in the slide show jdubsl2ljk;lds posted from the 5/6 ride. btw, thats my butt that is in the pic.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Fast Eddy
    Whazzup with that Thursday MBTB ride? Email I sent? PM I sent? Patty wants to host happy hour afterwards. Did she ping you too?
    Talkin' to me? Prolly not since I got no pinging, but...

Thursday's, meet at 5:30, ride at 5:45 to Sand Point.
    - slocaus

Medium?
    Talkin' to me?
    Nope, Francois.

Members who have read this thread: 0