Cleavage Of The Tetons

Nisene Marks Shuttle for 11 y.o. Intermediate rider?

Hi, we will be staying in Aptos, can you ride from where the shuttle would drop you off back to town without too much climbing?
    These guys do the shuttle, but I am not sure what trails you would take back down.
    Thanks in advance!
    "We LOVE cows! They make trails for us.....

And then we eat them."

Thrill Bikers Unite!

mtbr member
    There are no legal trails back to aptos. You can take a fireroad back down if you want.

Cleavage Of The Tetons
    Well, that is very cryptic, and worthy of more research...but seriously, what route would you take from the shuttledrop off to get in the most single track before hitting the fireroad back to town?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by rideit View Post
    Well, that is very cryptic, and worthy of more research...but seriously, what route would you take from the shuttledrop off to get in the most single track before hitting the fireroad back to town?
    I would not recommend illegally riding the hiking trails on a weekend. And all the other trails are confusing with many intersections and if you take a wrong turn you could easily end up in the bottom of the wrong canyon with no easy way out.

Now, if you wanted to do a lap of the world famous flow trail in Demo before dropping into town, that is different and there is an unlimited amount of info online for it. But it will require 2400 of climbing.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by rideit View Post
    what route would you take from the shuttledrop off to get in the most single track before hitting the fireroad back to town?
    Your shuttle service should help you with these questions I'd think.

mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    Even if you stay on the fireroad there's a decent amount of climbing. Maybe just do a Demo Flow loop or skip the shuttle and ride to Sand Point from Aptos. The singletrack at the entrance to the park is legal.

mtbr member

keep illegal trails hidden

Quote Originally Posted by bob-o View Post
    Your shuttle service should help you with these questions I'd think.
    Hope the shuttle service is not recommending illegal trails.

So far the shuttle has not made the headlines as it did when they first started. All shuttles in Santa Cruz county are to illegal trails.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by gonzo View Post

So far the shuttle has not made the headlines as it did when they first started. All shuttles in Santa Cruz county are to illegal trails.
    You can shuttle Wilder if someone is wanting to bike but has little fitness for climbing.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by gonzo View Post

Agreed and guessing that's why OP posted the question here but also wondering why a shuttle was booked with no route planned in advance.

Cleavage Of The Tetons
    Our trip is not until April, just doing some preliminary research about the feasibility of a shuttle assisted ride for my kiddo...I never even considered poaching, I was kidding about that. Trying to put together a fun day for him.
    "We LOVE cows! They make trails for us.....

And then we eat them."

Thrill Bikers Unite!

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    I did the shuttle with my 11 year old a few months ago. I've also pedaled with him from Aptos to Sand Point and both are doable with an 11 year old. The pedal from the drop off to the top was tough in some spots for him but he was riding my old 34lb Trek Remedy that is 3 sizes to big so take that into account. We road Aptos Creek Road the whole way down and we both had a blast. There was a big washout in the road above Sand Point (I think that is were it was) so a lot of the fire road above was turning into single track anyway. I would do it the same way again just for the reason that he was so gassed at the end. Any punchy single track would have set him up for a meltdown/crash before we made it out. Had to keep him on point with his riding as we got closer to Aptos because of all the people and cars coming up the road. Either way a day in the redwoods on bikes with the kids is a winner.

jms
    mtbr member
    Your idea of taking the shuttle is a really solid. PM Tone No Balone. He's plugged in to your best options, and you'll avoid the judgement and condemnation that's interspersed through this thread. I wish you and your son a great and memorable adventure together.
    My Favorite Peeps: