Nisene Marks / Demo - 05.06.06 - Pics- Mtbr.com
    bike buster

Nisene Marks / Demo - 05.06.06 - Pics

I put together a slideshow of our five man ride through Nisene Marks and into Demo Forest. The ride was ~40mi. long and we were all wasted by the end.

Thanks smw, K-Max, jrm and grrrah for a great ride.

Enjoy the pictures.

Photos
    Last edited by jdubsl2; 05-08-2006 at 11:47 PM.

mtbr member
    Very Nice!!

Loved all the special effects and the music. Gotta learn how to work that program with my pictures.

Looking forward to the big ride on May 22. Same approximate route? Out the door to the coast for my ride today. It's beautiful outside!

Slowest Rider

Setting a new level of style!

That's a very nice slide show presentation. Only problem is it sets a whole new standard. I feel bad just uploading pics now. (I'll have to get over it.)

Good pics of the ride too. It conveyed what the ride must have felt like. Thanks for posting that.

I gather you went up Demo from Niscene Marks, maybe that will be the new way to get to Demo for a while. You said 40 miles and 4500'. I used to think that was a killer route. Then I realized I just did 30 miles and 5900' at Henry Coe yesterday - much of it through pretty treacherous terrain. So Demo would be longer, but not as much climb, and a lot more of fun singletrack. I'll have to give that route a try someday. What loops did you do at Demo?
    It's not slow, it's doing more MTB time.

29 inches and Pissed Off!

Very Nice!

Great slideshow. I just finished the same route today. Did you guys find a good route down?

Dan C.
    CaptainKana.com
    Mountain Biking.....Cheaper than a mistress.

bike buster
    Glad you guys liked it. It was about the same amount of effort to make that as it would have been to make 30 posts with all of the pictures included. It's actually really easy. :P There are more pictures, but I made sure to get a couple of everyone and the really good no-specific-rider-pictures into the show. The only bummer about that program is that you can not add your own music (copyright reasons, I'm sure). The program I used is called PhotoShow by a software company called SimpleStar. I got it free with my Comcast cable connection -- so if any of you have Comcast, you can get it as well. Not to mention free McAfee Firewall, Anti-Virus, etc.

What ride is on 05.22? That's my birthday. I may have to take the day off and ride in celebration of my 21st year. :-D The weather is beautiful, for sure. I wish I had a clone to send to work in my place. I went on a hike at Russian Ridge with my girlfriend today and it was nothing but sunshine and blue skies. I love it.

Yep, Larry... up Nisene and into Demo. The mileage and altitude gains were estimated. I just overheard them and mentioned them. :-) We saw ONE car in the parking lot at Demo and one out on the road, before the bridge. So, people are still going out there, but driving way around and coming in from behind, I guess? Once in Demo, we flew down Ridge to Tractor into Braille (I think? Maybe just Tractor). That was the only loop we did. I'm not sure any one of us could have done a second loop. We all had BBQ on the brain.

We found a couple pieces of singletrack here and there on the decent back into Nisene, but mostly stuck to the fire road. The fire road was actually a lot of fun. It twists and turns a lot and you can really get some speed. Not so much towards the bottom, though -- too many hikers and bikers coming the opposite direction.

Justin

Oh yeah, if anyone wants pictures from the ride or the whole bunch (64mb), just e-mail me and I'll send them to you.

jrm
    mtbr member

Yup..

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Kana
    Did you guys find a good route down?

Dan C.
    We rode the the 1st section but then diverted over to the fire road. Demo was so empty..and braile was in GREAT shape.

bike buster
    For anyone interested in saving these pictures to their computer. All you have to do is click "Album" in the upper-left corner. Then navigate to the picture you want to save and click "Download" at the bottom. It will prompt you with the usual "Save As" prompt there.

Justin

mtbr member
    I have May 22 as the 8 by the bay MTBR ride leaving New Brighton Beach campground Monday morning. Trying to make it happen on my schedule. UC, Poconip and Wilder the next day.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    We went today and came in the "normal way" I guess you would say, from summit road.
    Ended up parking just before the slide where it took out the road. Basically just park the car and then hike-a-bike over the slide to the road on the other side. Wasn't bad at all, its about a mile then to the parking lot from there. Was interesting seeing a group of roadies trying to negotiate the mud/slide on the way back.

-Jason

Bunny Hugger

Good job! Niiiiiiiiice!

Wow! What a great post. Thanks for ending my weekend on an incredibly high note.
    Hug the Bunny

smw
    pedal pusher
    My wife just called to let me know that a rider has been missing in Nisene since saturday, so far they have been unable to locate the missing rider. Be careful out there, and ride with a buddy, as there are very few people out at Demo right now.

Sean

ps- I thought I was in good shape, this ride proved differant. Although it was about 12 miles longer then any mt bike ride Ive ever done. Great time, and Nisene is a beautiful ride, even if it is fireroad.
    Gears and suspension are for girls and old men. Feel free to quote me in your signature. - Fast Eddy

smw
    pedal pusher
    Great job Jdubs12, on the slide show. I learned a few things on this ride. Lesson number one, when riding for more then three hours bring some real food, energy bars dont do much for the body. Carry water, not just gatorade and hydration dinks. Kmax know how to make a great steak. Beer is always goooood following a ride.

My body is still quite tired from this venture. Yes I actually rode the Yeti, and boy was it fun flying through Demo with suspension. Demo is in primoe shape, and there is very little use of the trails right now. It is the best time of year for Demo right now so go out and get ya some.

sean
    Gears and suspension are for girls and old men. Feel free to quote me in your signature. - Fast Eddy

fc
    head minion Administrator
    That's cool. It's like I was there.

Except for that steak of course. I wasn't there dammit.

fc

smw
    pedal pusher
    Quote Originally Posted by francois
    That's cool. It's like I was there.

Except for that steak of course. I wasn't there dammit.

fc

Oh yeah, that steak was delicious too.

Sean

mtbr member
    Wow! That was S A H W E E E T!!

Nice job.

May 2006
    That slide show is awsome! Great job!

- Felicia

Totally, and to the max.
    What a perfect day of riding! I kinda had high expectations of the day. All week long, I looked forward to a big, long ride on shady trails with nice sunny weather, good company and a feast afterward. Not so much that I wanted these conditions, more that I needed them to properly recover from a busy week. The day delivered. We all had a great time, no mechanicals, and I felt pretty strong.....until the Buzzard's Lagoon climb, that is. I think we rode through an energy sucking force field. In an instant, my legs turned to jello. But that side order of ham at the top of the climb was well worth it. Mmm, ham!

Next time, all I'd do differently is bring a sandwich during the ride and bring a chair and a hoodie for after the ride. Otherwise, it was a perfect day.

mtbr member
    It was perfect conditions for the ride. The climb was long, but nice and shady. excellent work with the slide show! It was weird being in an empty parking area at demo on a perfect day around noon. The switch from sawpit to demo is probably the only reason I could walk yesterday.

Like everyone else mentioned, a sandwich truck or hot dog stand at the top of demo would have been nicer than another gu pack. We just have to remember to pack one next time... with more ham!

Also, much thanks to Richelle! that potato salad was yummmmmmmmmmmmy.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    jdubs, that "Top of the Incline" sign as you noted is a long way from the top of Nisene. It just indicates a really steep pitch that used to have a cable railway arrangment in the logging days. The climb up from there always fakes me out; each curve looks like the last, and never seems to end. But the descent from Top of Nisene back down to Sand Point is usually great fun; seldom any people, but you do have to be prepared for that possibility.

mtbr member
    jdubsl2, thanks for the awesome slide show.

smw
    pedal pusher

Also, much thanks to Richelle! that potato salad was yummmmmmmmmmmmy.[/QUOTE]

Ill second that, thanks Richelle. I needed that badly, much needed energy.

Sean

Weird huh?

Fanfriggintasticular!!!

Did I mention I liked it?

Nice job, in more ways than one. I think you guys have just thrown down by example the new Demo ride.
    With the northern access uhhhh...not accessable (easily)....this could be the new 'it' ride.

40+ miles, 4500' climbing, steak and Arrogant Basties at the end. How'd you guys manage to smile for the camera at the end? I'd have been crying in my beer.

Cheers,
    Mike

El Cid is Spanish for The Cid..
    cmdrpiffle 7 points 1 day ago
    Cinco de Mayo is Spanish for Cinco de Mayo

smw
    pedal pusher
    Quote Originally Posted by cmdrpiffle
    Did I mention I liked it?

Nice job, in more ways than one. I think you guys have just thrown down by example the new Demo ride.
    With the northern access uhhhh...not accessable (easily)....this could be the new 'it' ride.

40+ miles, 4500' climbing, steak and Arrogant Basties at the end. How'd you guys manage to smile for the camera at the end? I'd have been crying in my beer.

Cheers,
    Mike

Those were the smiles we had from rippin down Braille, oh and because we had dipped into the fine assortment of Brews prior to any picture taking. Other brews included Stone IPA, Moyans IPA, geeze bad memory, and three others. Its a great ride for sure, however it does require some extra preperations. I think we all could have used some real food during the ride.

It was my first time on that side of Nisene, I was stunned at the beauty of the forest.

Sean

bike buster
    It turns out you CAN set your own music as the 'soundtrack.' I don't know if I dig the 'techno' or not, but it works. So, if anyone as a fitting suggestion, let me know. :-)

I'd like to be the third person to say thanks for the killer potato salad! Very refreshing.

Weird huh?

tell you what..........

I know what you mean. I did Braille yesterday, on a new bike at that. Other than the couple of muddy dips..............it was tack city. The tires stuck like glue on the corners. It was the fastest I've ridden it.

I'm gonna head out there now. Should be suited up and riding in about 2 hours.

Cheers

El Cid is Spanish for The Cid..
    cmdrpiffle 7 points 1 day ago
    Cinco de Mayo is Spanish for Cinco de Mayo

Totally, and to the max.
    I'm with you there. I wouldn't mind doing this route from now on. Way more bang for the buck. And ending with a spread in Nisene Marks? Icing on the cake.

The next step will be climbing Sulpher Springs for a 2nd descent. But man, would that hurt!

Members who have read this thread: 0