New trail in Novato?- Mtbr.com

Sep 2003

Question for Marin riders - New trail in Novato?

I keep hearing about "the new trail in Novato" but nobody can tell me where it is exactly? Does anybody know what I'm talking about? Supposedly it's recently opened in the last year or so.
    Last edited by Lighty_; 06-23-2004 at 08:37 PM.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Lighty_
    I keep hearing about "the new trail in Novato" but nobody can tell me where it is exactly? Does anybody know what I'm talking about? Supposedly it's recently opened in the last year or so.
    There is a new single track trail they did open up about a year ago that starts just down from the towers on Big Rock Ridge that takes you down to Lucas Valley Rd. You can ride up it starting from the top of Lucas Valley Rd. by the big boulder and do an out and back,
    but it's only a 5- 6 mile round trip.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by cRasHmAstER
    There is a new single track trail they did open up about a year ago that starts just down from the towers on Big Rock Ridge that takes you down to Lucas Valley Rd. You can ride up it starting from the top of Lucas Valley Rd. by the big boulder and do an out and back,
    but it's only a 5- 6 mile round trip.
    Any one have issues with/on Ships Mast latley? Had some aggresive horse people a few months ago!

My gloves stink

Ships Mast?

Quote Originally Posted by LMays
    Any one have issues with/on Ships Mast latley? Had some aggresive horse people a few months ago!
    Where is Ships Mast? Is that the new singletrack from the Towers to Lucas Valley Rd?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Appendage
    Where is Ships Mast? Is that the new singletrack from the Towers to Lucas Valley Rd?
    No.
    Ships Mast is the BIG redwood tree you can see from all over Novato, to the west.( I think it has a few names,Big tree, Indian tree...) I've always known it as Ships Mast. If you are on Hwy.101 and you find the two radio towers looking west, just follow the ridge line and you will see a tall Redwood grove, a.k.a.Ships Mast, it really looks like one when you get to it and walk around the tree!. Best way to get to it is the trail head at the end of Vineyard Rd.
    Just when the pavement stops you will be at the trail head.(This route is NOT legal but most fun). Best legal way up is a trail head off of Vineyard Road, you will be on fire road all the way up. I can't remember the name of the road you take to get to the trail head, but you can't miss the drive.It's the super steep rd/drive on your left. If you get to the dirt road at the end of Vineyard you have gone too far.You will now be at the illegal trail head. This is the trail I have had some issues with equestrians.
    Last edited by Guitarzan415; 07-01-2004 at 10:40 AM.

My gloves stink

Okay...been there.

No.
    Ships Mast is the BIG redwood tree you can see from all over Novato, to the west.( I think it has a few names,Big tree, Indian tree...) I've always known it as Ships Mast. If you are on Hwy.101 and you find the two radio towers looking west, just follow the ridge line and you will see a tall Redwood grove, a.k.a.Ships Mast, it really looks like one when you get to it and walk around the tree!. Best way to get to it is the trail head at the end of Vineyard Rd.
    Just when the pavement stops you will be at the trail head.(This route is NOT legal but most fun). Best legal way up is a trail head off of Vineyard Road, you will be on fire road all the way up. I can't remember the name of the road you take to get to the trail head, but you can't miss the drive.It's the super steep rd/drive on your left. If you get to the dirt road at the end of Vineyard you have gone too far.You will now be at the illegal trail head. This is the trail I have had some issues with equestrians.
    Thanks for the info. I know the area as Indian Tree. I think that's what's on the sign at the "illegal" trailhead. Years ago, I used to run there occasionally. I've never ridden there, though. How much is there to do? Is the all the legal stuff fireroads? How far can you go?

Sure would be cool if the Hill Ranch would grant an easement from Big Rock Ridge to Indian Tree! But I'm grateful to them for permitting us on Big Rock.

So, what do you mean by "aggressive equestrians"? What happened? Were you attacked by carnivorous horses?

mtbr member
    Thanks for the info. I know the area as Indian Tree. I think that's what's on the sign at the "illegal" trailhead. Years ago, I used to run there occasionally. I've never ridden there, though. How much is there to do? Is the all the legal stuff fireroads? How far can you go?

Sure would be cool if the Hill Ranch would grant an easement from Big Rock Ridge to Indian Tree! But I'm grateful to them for permitting us on Big Rock.

So, what do you mean by "aggressive equestrians"? What happened? Were you attacked by carnivorous horses?
    LOL,
    Yhea, horse fang's and all . Actually had a woman giving a paid tour up there (horse lessons), and she came unglued on me for being in her neighbor hood. (I bet she does not even live in Navato), I got off my bike so she and the other ladies could walk-on, but the lead gal made a huge stink of it all. I tried to walk arround them and the gal came at me with her 2ton horse. Told her she was turning this into asult and she backed off.

You can ride the top ridge from Big-Rock all the way over to Ships Mast and continue on over to Staford lake and beyond. Most all of this would be fire road, but you can find other trails tucked away.

My gloves stink

Quit horsin' around...

LOL,
    Yhea, horse fang's and all . Actually had a woman giving a paid tour up there (horse lessons), and she came unglued on me for being in her neighbor hood. (I bet she does not even live in Navato), I got off my bike so she and the other ladies could walk-on, but the lead gal made a huge stink of it all. I tried to walk arround them and the gal came at me with her 2ton horse. Told her she was turning this into asult and she backed off.

You can ride the top ridge from Big-Rock all the way over to Ships Mast and continue on over to Staford lake and beyond. Most all of this would be fire road, but you can find other trails tucked away.
    You can't LEGALLY ride from Big Rock to Stafford, as I understand the situation. You'd have to trespass on the Hill Family ranch. Right? Which leads me to the next question. When the lady unleashed her carnivorous horse on you, were you on a legal bike riding road/trail? Or was she just being hormonal? It sounded like you did all the right things, dismounting the bike and all.

I emphasize the legal issue because when mtn bikers are seen as irresponsible scofflaws, it becomes that much harder to hold onto what little legal riding area we have, let alone try to get more.

mtbr member
    You can't LEGALLY ride from Big Rock to Stafford, as I understand the situation. You'd have to trespass on the Hill Family ranch. Right? Which leads me to the next question. When the lady unleashed her carnivorous horse on you, were you on a legal bike riding road/trail? Or was she just being hormonal? It sounded like you did all the right things, dismounting the bike and all.

I emphasize the legal issue because when mtn bikers are seen as irresponsible scofflaws, it becomes that much harder to hold onto what little legal riding area we have, let alone try to get more.
    Yep,
    Your right on both accounts. You will be on the Hill Family ranch.
    I met with the gal on the "ILLEGAL " trail. She was right, I was wrong...however, I will not put up with being attacked with a horse used as a wepon. I think I pissed her-off by doing every thing right and being polite. Once again she was right I was wrong.

My gloves stink

Kill them with kindness...

Yep,
    Your right on both accounts. You will be on the Hill Family ranch.
    I met with the gal on the "ILLEGAL " trail. She was right, I was wrong...however, I will not put up with being attacked with a horse used as a wepon. I think I pissed her-off by doing every thing right and being polite. Once again she was right I was wrong.
    Yeah, you probably did surprise her. She was probably expecting you to have an attitude. Her worst nightmare come true...a mountain biker with manners.