New Shop Going Up in downtown Mountain View- Mtbr.com
    IPAs make me wanna puke.
    Dec 2004

New Shop Going Up in downtown Mountain View

Anyone know if they'll be roadie/mountain, roadie only, mountain only? Brands?

bike dork extraordinaire
    Quote Originally Posted by SVSocrates
    Anyone know if they'll be roadie/mountain, roadie only, mountain only? Brands?
    From what I've heard it will be a showcase store for Specialized products. Just what we need, more from the big S...

just another bleepin SSer
    You may want to check this article out - http://www.bicycleretailer.com/bicyc..._id=1002277659.

The guy opening it used to be a big wig at MTBR...

You can also go to their under construction web site at http://www.bikespring.com/
    --
    Getting old, fat, and slow...
    自転車が好きだよ

Obi
    -_-
    Oct 2005

Idea! Hmmmm....

..and I quote: "Bike Spring is suited to serve the affluent communities of Mountain View, Saratoga, Los Altos Hills and other cycling-centric Bay Area cities..."

Maybe it'll be good to have somebody to influence those affluent people into putting in some more legal trails out there since the Huddart Proposal didn't fare to well.

~Just a thought.

[EDIT=6:19pm]Another thought...means competition for Mike's and a couple other entities, that's always good too.

IPAs make me wanna puke.
    Dec 2004
    What is the point of a Specialized "concept store?" Specialized products are certainly readily available. Why the need for this? It's not as if Specialized is the biking world's equivalent of Ferrari or some other particular boutique car manufacturer.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    In other words, we'll be seeing $4,000 FS bikes going up and down Alpine Road in the spring, then permanently exiled into storage sometime in August.

just another bleepin SSer
    Quote Originally Posted by SVSocrates
    What is the point of a Specialized "concept store?" Specialized products are certainly readily available. Why the need for this? It's not as if Specialized is the biking world's equivalent of Ferrari or some other particular boutique car manufacturer.
    I am sure Specialized is doing it to try to get control over how their products are sold. LBSes are notorious for being free minded, which makes it challenging for big companies like Specialized to get things done the way they want.

This shop could put other Specialized shops in the area at risk of losing the line. Particularly those that are not strong performers with Specialized.

Quote Originally Posted by Reposado Man
    In other words, we'll be seeing $4,000 FS bikes going up and down Alpine Road in the spring, then permanently exiled into storage sometime in August.
    I wouldn't blame this shop for weekend warriors. They would exist whether this shop was there or not - this guy may have found a way to profit from them.

Actually, I would expect they will sell lots more of the $200-$1000 bikes than the $2k plus ones.
    Last edited by singlespeed.org; 04-20-2006 at 11:03 AM.
    --
    Getting old, fat, and slow...
    自転車が好きだよ

fc
    head minion Administrator
    The shop is called Bikespring. There's a lot of info at http://www.bikespring.com/

It's owned and operated by Paul Wassem. He's my ex-boss here at work and riding buddy. It's always been his dream to open a bike shop so now he's giving it a go.

Check out the site and send him an email. 6 weeks til opening I think. He's got a lot of good plans. He wants to organize races, get involved with clubs and schools.

francois

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Message from Bike Spring owner

Hi folks,

Thanks for posting your thoughts and ideas about my new bike shop in Mountain View, Bike Spring. The store will be a Specialized Concept Store, and will also feature other bikes and boutique brands. We're trying to raise the bar in bike retailing, and have designed a special place where folks can prepare for rides, get all the gear they need and gather with fellow riders. Like an oasis for riders. We're under construction right now, but soon will be inviting the community to help us open in style. I appreciate your comments on this thread, and will try to stay tuned for your input. Specialized is a great brand, and their retail service leader Rick Sutton has an amazing vision for supporting shops like mine. Stop by if you can, 903 Castro Street at El Camino Real, Mountain View. Or, contact me at http://www.bikespring.com/contact.htm.

Thanks,

Paul

Members who have read this thread: 0