New to the SF area, any good regular rides?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Oct 2013

New to the SF area, any good regular rides?

Hello, I just moved up from SoCal and want to start hitting the local trails. I have weekday mornings, Sundays and Mondays off and I'm looking to get familiar with local trails. Any recommendations?

I'm really diggin it!
    I usually ride by myself. You are welcome to PM me and I will ride with you tomorrow. My phone number is also on the Endor Facebook page.

Life's a Garden, dig it!
    Where exactly are you? In SF proper? East Bay? South Bay? North Bay? we have active members all over and lot's of possibilities throughout.

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by chuckha62 View Post
    Where exactly are you? In SF proper? East Bay? South Bay? North Bay? we have active members all over and lot's of possibilities throughout.
    I'm in SF proper/lower Mission area and work in Snob Hill. I checked out and sent a join request to Sutro Stewards hoping to get plugged in and help out. Going to check out Tamarancho today.

I like mtn biking, too
    Usually when there is more daylight, there are after-work weekday options, like the Thursday night gap ride organized right here in the nor-cal forum, or the Skeggs Wed. night ride. But they have fizzled out now for the season. If you like to ride with some fast people, check out what Team Roaring Mouse (they are up your way) is up to. I haven't heard of many weekday morning group rides, but I usually try to get out to Montebello or Russian Ridge or Arastradero a couple times per week on my way to work. These preserves are quite a way south of you though.
    Half the planet is deep into bloody tribal mayhem. We’re just riding bikes (and drinking beer) here.
    ~Fairfaxian

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by shredchic View Post
    Usually when there is more daylight, there are after-work weekday options, like the Thursday night gap ride organized right here in the nor-cal forum, or the Skeggs Wed. night ride. But they have fizzled out now for the season. If you like to ride with some fast people, check out what Team Roaring Mouse (they are up your way) is up to. I haven't heard of many weekday morning group rides, but I usually try to get out to Montebello or Russian Ridge or Arastradero a couple times per week on my way to work. These preserves are quite a way south of you though.
    Good info, thanks a lot. I'll check it out
    Last edited by mcrommett; 11-19-2013 at 11:00 PM. Reason: I called a shred chic a bro because I'm retarded, ha

mtbr member
    Hey mc

Welcome to Norcal! I don't do regular organized group rides (the occasional random MTBR ride), but have a few riding buddies and we do impromptu rides at random times quite frequently. I live fairly close to you and am always looking for more riding buddies, especially since we have to drive to the really good stuff. I know the bay area trails well and can show you the highlights - have broken in a few SoCal transplants! PM coming your way.

mtbr member
    There used to be a lot more group rides on here, but they seem to have drifted off.

If you don't mind coming up to the north bay, you can check out the Annadel Mountain Bike Group. We have rides several times a week at all levels.

It's a meetup.com group. There are lots of other meetup groups that are probably closer to you as well.
    功夫大师喜欢骑着他的自行车在山上。

sftrydr

I'm really diggin it!
    mcrommett and I went for a mellow ride at Tamarancho. We ran into some friends and those guys went for a great tour of Marin's best.

Pretty good intro to central Marin and I can vouch for mcrommett he seems like a great guy.

ballbuster
    Oakland Hills Wednesday Night ride! So far, it's just me and one other guy with occasional guests. PM me for specifics.

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by GuruAtma View Post
    There used to be a lot more group rides on here, but they seem to have drifted off.

If you don't mind coming up to the north bay, you can check out the Annadel Mountain Bike Group. We have rides several times a week at all levels.

It's a meetup.com group. There are lots of other meetup groups that are probably closer to you as well.
    Thanks for the info, I just joined Annadel.

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Davey Simon View Post
    mcrommett and I went for a mellow ride at Tamarancho. We ran into some friends and those guys went for a great tour of Marin's best.

Pretty good intro to central Marin and I can vouch for mcrommett he seems like a great guy.
    Tamarancho was sick, can't wait to ride there more often. Thanks again.

Life's a Garden, dig it!
    When we get more hours of afternoon daylight, or when weekends permit, c'mon up to Santa Rosa and ride Annadel! Give a shout on here and I'm sure we can get a group going.

I like mtn biking, too
    Wow, this has turned into a great thread. I didn't know about the Annadel or Pacifica regular rides.

Anyway, even though we're so much further south, I would be remiss to also not mention some of the Mountain Bikers of Santa Cruz group rides. There is a Saturday 10am ride at Wilder Ranch every week, and the 2nd Sunday of each month there is a 9:30 am ride at Soquel Demo forest. Here are the details:

Club Rides | Mountain Bikers of Santa Cruz (MBoSC)

Recent rain might cancel the Wilder ride, although we should be fine this weekend. Anyone can join the mbosc mailing list for the latest updates.
    Half the planet is deep into bloody tribal mayhem. We’re just riding bikes (and drinking beer) here.
    ~Fairfaxian

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    I'm in the city right next to Dolores Park...probably pretty close to you. I'll do a Sutro ride once or twice a week after work. With the time change -- post-work rides are really limited. Weekends, a few of us will leave from the city early to be back by 1PM or so... we'll do Demo, Skyline (Napa), Rockville (when wet), Tamarancho. PM me if you want to ride Sutro one day after work and maybe come along for a weekend ride.

n00bie
    Apr 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by pfrish View Post
    I'm in the city right next to Dolores Park...probably pretty close to you. I'll do a Sutro ride once or twice a week after work. With the time change -- post-work rides are really limited. Weekends, a few of us will leave from the city early to be back by 1PM or so... we'll do Demo, Skyline (Napa), Rockville (when wet), Tamarancho. PM me if you want to ride Sutro one day after work and maybe come along for a weekend ride.

i need to get in on this. i've lived near hayes/divis for almost a year and never hit sutro. i think weekdays are hosed until we got more light but i desperately need a sutro tour guide!!

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    I usually ride solo, and my fave spots in the Bay Area are Waterdog Lake Park in Belmont, Skeggs Point in Half Moon Bay, and Demo (bomb down on Braille) in Soquel. Full suspension recommended, but doable on a well built hardtail. Awesome MTB playgrounds!!!

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    By the way, welcome to NorCal

mtbr member
    Sutro is a cool place to ride, especially considering its right in the middle of the city. I use to meet up with friends and do a Wednesday night right but with the time change, it sucks as that place can get pretty hairy when you can't see.

What others have suggested are great options. Skeggs is one of the better rides on this side of the bridge and its about a 45 minute drive from where you are. You can join a ride to Waterdog Lake held by Passion Trail bikes in San Carlos. They have group ride gatherings all the time. If you goto Waterdog lake, I suggest going with someone that knows the trails because the network of trails can get pretty confusing.

You can also goto Pacifica and ride the Boy Scouts Trail. Great if you like to hit some big jumps. If you stick to the main part of the trail its a pretty short ride but people just keep going round and round. You could also climb up and hit up the Mile & Crack trails which can get pretty gnarly in some spots but fun.

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    Checking back in and reading about some of these trails, great info! I'm getting pumped to ride again. Shooting for Sunday afternoon

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by PinoyMTBer View Post
    By the way, welcome to NorCal
    Thanks!