New! New! New! Vandeman in Court Thread. Accept no substitutes!- Mtbr.com
    It's about showing up.

New! New! New! Vandeman in Court Thread. Accept no substitutes!

By popular demand I have started anew thread as Anti-Bike Mike goes to court next Friday.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails New! New! New! Vandeman in Court Thread. Accept no substitutes!-140411vanct.jpg  

I don't rattle.

M8 M12 M15 deez nuts
    Nice stuff!
    Donít frail and blow if youíre going to Braille and Flow.

Crazed Country Rebel
    Quote Originally Posted by Berkeley Mike View Post
    By popular demand I have started anew thread as Anti-Bike Mike goes to court next Friday.
    what is your point?

Are you intentionally misleading people into thinking he broke another law - or are you yourself so confused that you believe he broke another law?
    Stupid, but sometimes witty. Occasionally brilliant. Slow and fat though.

Mike Vandeman Sucks Dong

Axe
    Custom User Title
    I guess it is to have the protected order lifted. Maybe we should testify that he kept at it.

I know I have received several inflammatory emails directly from him - he grabbed a list from one of the landmanagers that they CCed in the open. I resisted temptation to respond.

mtbr member
    Jul 2004

The implication is your own.

Quote Originally Posted by iheartbicycles View Post
    Are you intentionally misleading people into thinking he broke another law - or are you yourself so confused that you believe he broke another law?
    Ain't nothing in the post that says anything about breaking a law.
    Live to Ride, Ride to Live

Cleavage Of The Tetons
    You should have responded.
    "We LOVE cows! They make trails for us.....

And then we eat them."

Thrill Bikers Unite!

It's about showing up.
    Actually I had several people from the mtb community contact me independently about this court date. I was not aware of it so I posted here to see how people understood it.

Then it was suggested that this date deserved its own new thread. So here it is.
    I don't rattle.

Fart smeller
    He's a witch!
    _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

"If you're not outraged, you're not paying attention."

Heather Heyer

just another bleepin SSer
    Actually I had several people from the mtb community contact me independently about this court date. I was not aware of it so I posted here to see how people understood it.
    I am glad you posted. I was not aware of this court date.
    --
    Getting old, fat, and slow...
    自転車が好きだよ

I'm really diggin it!
    I will gladly fund any member of our community who can speak on our behalf to express why this man has not reformed his ways but has actually grown more twisted and angry at the mountain bike community in the last 4 years.

Hopefully the judicial system will see him as the madman he is and bar him from public open space as has happened before. PAPER CHAINS | SURFING Magazine

Our community needs to send a strong message to the court system and other crazy assed batshit fools from trying this again.

Please PM me for details but if you make the day to sit in court I will be forever in your debt and believe me: If I had not been booked to fly my boss around that day I would be in that court with Mike V's rants in hand asking for extra scrutiny and consideration as a concerned member of the community.

This goes a long way in the judicial system. Lets make this ****er pay. Beers on me. Plus a lot extra.

Crazed Country Rebel

Is the public afforded opportunity to speak on these occasions?

Mike Vandeman Sucks Dong

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    Who cares? He served his probation, let him be. At this point he is old and getting older. If he does something egregious I am sure everyone will be up in arms and calling the authorities. Why put his name out there and make such a stink?

Air Pirate
    Quote Originally Posted by cornfish View Post
    Who cares? He served his probation, let him be. At this point he is old and getting older. If he does something egregious I am sure everyone will be up in arms and calling the authorities. Why put his name out there and make such a stink?
    Old and getting older, served his probation? Give him the benefit of the doubt? Ever hear of the old adage "you cant teach an old dog new tricks?" I'm not saying age is a limiter for everyone in learning how to change their ways, but this guy is a dyed in the wool curmudgeon who has convinced himself direct action is the way to go to eliminate his chosen enemy. Bottom line: he is a mean old man who feels he has the right to physically attack those he does not agree with.

Do you feel him serving his probation is something that will let him see the error of his ways and turn him toward a new lifestyle that doesn't include the violence he decided is his right to conduct against mountain bikers? If you want an idea of how bad probation, jail, and prison are in teaching anyone to steer themselves to a different life path simply do a Google search on recidivism rates and choose your crime and jurisdiction. You will see that the whole so-called "Corrections" system does not correct much criminal behavior. If it did, prisons wouldn't be a growth industry.

And M.V. being on probation? In this day and age of budget trouble in the glorious State of California, he probably had minimal contact with the county probation department charged with his case, so there was probably minimal to no work done to adjust his behavior/psychology. I can bet the time he spent on probation was just a space of time in which he stewed over what has happened to him, getting more and more indignant and self-righteous than he previously was.

Why put his name out there and make such a stink? This guy is a violent criminal. He chose the path of violence, and the public should be kept aware of him. For the safety of the public much is public record on convicted violent criminals, and in many crimes the criminal is tracked and/or reported so the public can keep themselves aware and safe. I don't care if the criminal is guilty of violence against a child, a spouse, or someone else....violence is violence, and when one chooses to act that way the rest of us have a right to make sure we are not in harms way with that individual.

Also, in my opinion and many others, he is a mentally troubled individual. If you have not read any of his postings on the 'net, perhaps you should look them up and you will see his state of mind is not one that most people would consider well-adjusted. Bottom line, he is a dangerous violent hyper-opinionated nut who has no problem with direct violent actions to further his cause. In other words, he is a terrorist and should be treated as such.
    "You're messing with my zen thing, man!"

ballbuster
    Quote Originally Posted by Bokchoicowboy View Post
    Old and getting older, served his probation? Give him the benefit of the doubt? Ever hear of the old adage "you cant teach an old dog new tricks?" I'm not saying age is a limiter for everyone in learning how to change their ways, but this guy is a dyed in the wool curmudgeon who has convinced himself direct action is the way to go to eliminate his chosen enemy. Bottom line: he is a mean old man who feels he has the right to physically attack those he does not agree with.

Do you feel him serving his probation is something that will let him see the error of his ways and turn him toward a new lifestyle that doesn't include the violence he decided is his right to conduct against mountain bikers? If you want an idea of how bad probation, jail, and prison are in teaching anyone to steer themselves to a different life path simply do a Google search on recidivism rates and choose your crime and jurisdiction. You will see that the whole so-called "Corrections" system does not correct much criminal behavior. If it did, prisons wouldn't be a growth industry.

And M.V. being on probation? In this day and age of budget trouble in the glorious State of California, he probably had minimal contact with the county probation department charged with his case, so there was probably minimal to no work done to adjust his behavior/psychology. I can bet the time he spent on probation was just a space of time in which he stewed over what has happened to him, getting more and more indignant and self-righteous than he previously was.

Why put his name out there and make such a stink? This guy is a violent criminal. He chose the path of violence, and the public should be kept aware of him. For the safety of the public much is public record on convicted violent criminals, and in many crimes the criminal is tracked and/or reported so the public can keep themselves aware and safe. I don't care if the criminal is guilty of violence against a child, a spouse, or someone else....violence is violence, and when one chooses to act that way the rest of us have a right to make sure we are not in harms way with that individual.

Also, in my opinion and many others, he is a mentally troubled individual. If you have not read any of his postings on the 'net, perhaps you should look them up and you will see his state of mind is not one that most people would consider well-adjusted. Bottom line, he is a dangerous violent hyper-opinionated nut who has no problem with direct violent actions to further his cause. In other words, he is a terrorist and should be treated as such.
    Meh... sometimes people change. Let's watch his every move very carefully and make sure the authorities know if he steps off the straight and narrow. Point is, he served his time. It's not illegal to be a curmudgeon deekhed. It is illegal to wield weapons and slash people's tires. Just be thankful this isn't a 'Stand your ground' state.

Air Pirate
    Quote Originally Posted by pimpbot View Post
    Meh... sometimes people change. Let's watch his every move very carefully and make sure the authorities know if he steps off the straight and narrow. Point is, he served his time. It's not illegal to be a curmudgeon deekhed. It is illegal to wield weapons and slash people's tires. Just be thankful this isn't a 'Stand your ground' state.
    Perhaps you are right pimp, just color me jaded.
    "You're messing with my zen thing, man!"

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Bokchoicowboy View Post
    Ever hear of the old adage "you cant teach an old dog new tricks?".
    Ever heard the saying "live and let live"?

We are a nation of laws. MV broke some of them, and eventually got caught. Once he serves his probation/punishment he is free to carry on as long as he isn't harming anyone.

Sometimes I worry that in our diligence to be recognized as coming from the right side of an issue, mountain bikers start using the very same tactics of the people we have an issue with. I for one am not interested in calling anyone out the way that some equestrians and some hikers do. I have met both hikers and equestrians that were amazing "lets all enjoy the outdoors" kind of people just like I have met mountain bikers that are part of the problem, not the solution.

Live and let live. MV did his thing and paid the price. He has every right to be given another shot to be a reasonable citizen. If the day comes where he chooses to take the law into his own hands he will have a prior conviction to address when he goes to court.

You may now return to your regularly scheduled programming.

Axe
    Custom User Title
    he is old and getting older.
    More free time on his hands. He can keep at making noises and confronting people for the next twenty years.

Crazed Country Rebel
    Ever heard the saying "live and let live"?

We are a nation of laws. MV broke some of them, and eventually got caught. Once he serves his probation/punishment he is free to carry on as long as he isn't harming anyone.

Sometimes I worry that in our diligence to be recognized as coming from the right side of an issue, mountain bikers start using the very same tactics of the people we have an issue with. I for one am not interested in calling anyone out the way that some equestrians and some hikers do. I have met both hikers and equestrians that were amazing "lets all enjoy the outdoors" kind of people just like I have met mountain bikers that are part of the problem, not the solution.

Live and let live. MV did his thing and paid the price. He has every right to be given another shot to be a reasonable citizen. If the day comes where he chooses to take the law into his own hands he will have a prior conviction to address when he goes to court.

You may now return to your regularly scheduled programming.
    Ditto. We'll end up looking just as batty. Let it go. If he F's up again, I'm sure his next sentence will be more severe.

Mike Vandeman Sucks Dong

mtbr member
    MV is a cancer, and you need to cut that cancer out of society. "Changed man"?? Let him prove himself in court that he is changed by his actions. Show me your IMBA card MV!! Go help finish the DEMO flow trial in SC! Do something to show that you have changed, if not, well then tough tittes! The MTB community got their eyes on uuuuu!

roadie
    Quote Originally Posted by zgroove View Post
    MV is a cancer, and you need to cut that cancer out of society. "Changed man"?? Let him prove himself in court that he is changed by his actions. Show me your IMBA card MV!! Go help finish the DEMO flow trial in SC! Do something to show that you have changed, if not, well then tough tittes! The MTB community got their eyes on uuuuu!
    um, yah, great. come on down to segment six, we're working on progressive features such as punji stick corner and fish hook alley.

hope he's learned something. if not, hope it doesn't take someone getting hurt to learn him. not sure why we're all giving him so much attention

/unsubscribe.

middle ring single track

Rhymes with "Handyman"

Regarding our "buddy" getting our email addresses, I started getting emails in October of last year; from the context of the messages I think he got mine from a local bike club.

I refrained from engaging in any sort of dialog with him (very tempting to write a STFU you IDIOT letter) and instead simply added him to my list of blocked spam.

It was interesting to note that after a while approximately 80% of my junk folder was messages from "Rhymes with Handyman"; so I decided to use this info to my benefit---what "Rhymes with Handyman" is searching for and rebroadcasting is a bellwether for how MTB'ing is doing. About once a week I go in there and see what's "trending".

Interesting to note that "Rhymes with Handyman" now has to go international to get enough "dirt" on MTBs. I see this as a positive; domestic MTBing troubles just aren't getting as much press nowadays.

Also interesting to note that in the past few days his email re-posts have tapered off (every other day instead of 2~3x daily); perhaps he's focusing on his upcoming court date?

Regardless; he's a sick puppy---totally perseverating on the misfortunes of any MTBer who may have suffered an injury or death while biking. His debt to society paid for or not; he needs to be monitored for a long time---he may just be delusional enough to try to harm someone again.
    Content here does not officially represent the CA DPR.

Windows 10, destroying humanity one upgrade at a time.

YOUREGO ISNOT YOURAMIGO

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by pliebenberg View Post
    Regarding our "buddy" getting our email addresses, I started getting emails in October of last year; from the context of the messages I think he got mine from a local bike club.
    I also got a few emails from him. Eventually I replied and said,"Please remove me from your email list. Thank you." and he replied,"done". I have never received another email since.

You catch more bees with honey than vinegar.
    Last edited by cornfish; 04-04-2014 at 08:06 PM. Reason: accuracy

Yeah!
    Isn't the most important thing here to ensure the proper precendent is set for handling potentially dangerous persons that are against our use of public areas for biking? I know some of you are angry at him for what he's done, but it should never be about revenge against one person, but rather showing the public that this person has no more right to brandish a weapon against us on the trail than someone that does the same outside of a court building.

Do the right thing and the outcome should be in your favor. The judge won't permit anyone but the parties involved in this case to speak during the proceedings, and also won't pemit hearsay from either party, so no, you cannot present your incident from two years ago, and the prosecution can only references to previous court cases, but this won't stop you from performing a public petition, or writing the judge directly. You have the means to make your voice heard, just don't abuse it.

FYI: don't EVER write to a judge using ANY type of language that can be construed to be threatening to the judge or anyone else (Ex. I'd like to beat down the ass that placed those stakes in the trail). That's a good way to find out what it's like have a threat response team raiding your home.

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by pliebenberg View Post
    perseverating
    Had to look that up. Nice.

I'm really diggin it!
    Quote Originally Posted by Flamingtaco View Post
    Isn't the most important thing here to ensure the proper precendent is set for handling potentially dangerous persons that are against our use of public areas for biking? I know some of you are angry at him for what he's done, but it should never be about revenge against one person, but rather showing the public that this person has no more right to brandish a weapon against us on the trail than someone that does the same outside of a court building.

Do the right thing and the outcome should be in your favor. The judge won't permit anyone but the parties involved in this case to speak during the proceedings, and also won't pemit hearsay from either party, so no, you cannot present your incident from two years ago, and the prosecution can only references to previous court cases, but this won't stop you from performing a public petition, or writing the judge directly. You have the means to make your voice heard, just don't abuse it.

FYI: don't EVER write to a judge using ANY type of language that can be construed to be threatening to the judge or anyone else (Ex. I'd like to beat down the ass that placed those stakes in the trail). That's a good way to find out what it's like have a threat response team raiding your home.
    I spoke with a lawyer about this today. He said I should contact the prosecutor and express my concern that Mike V has continued his rants about the mountain bike community. The lawyer also said that a prosecutor would usually be interested in the community raising a concern. He also mentioned that most prosecutors are totally overloaded and don't have time to check out the WWW to find out what people like Mike V have been saying.

So if any one can help me track down messages from Mike V I would greatly appreciate it. The posts that should be forwarded to the prosecutor would be any posts that indicated Mike V would continue harming other human beings.

People like this are sick. While I understand the mellow nature of mountain bikers we should not allow someone such as Mike V to continue his behavior.

Please PM me any information you have about Mike V anything he has said that would indicate a continued desire to harm others should be forwarded to the prosecution.

I understand if you don't agree with me.

banned
    Sep 2010
    My concern is solely for the well-being of MV. He is getting older: as such, his proprioceptive skills, balance, etc. are eroding. Given his propensity for attempting violent acts against other citizens, I'm afraid for his own safety.

For example, suppose, on a narrow trail with a steep drop off, he should attempt to slash another citizen, miss, lose his balance, and tumble down a steep incline? Given the likelihood of decreased bone density, he would almost certainly sustain multiple fractures, possibly life-threatening, from his attempted violence.

Do we as a community really want to have to face the fact that we could have prevented him from hurting himself, given what we know of his predilections?

The Mtb community in NorCal needs to step up to the plate and protect MV from himself.

I'm really diggin it!
    Quote Originally Posted by Empty_Beer View Post

He's going to snap and really hurt someone someday...
    Wow thanks! I totally agree BTW.

mtbr member

Quote Originally Posted by Old Ray View Post
    For example, suppose, on a narrow trail with a steep drop off, he should attempt to slash another citizen, miss, lose his balance, and tumble down a steep incline?
    In the process of losing his balance, his face might hit my fist, over and over and over...........
    It would really be a tragedy we need to protect him.
    Its all Shits and Giggles until somebody Giggles and Shits

Hoolie Ghoulie on Strava.
    Sep 2010
    I have Thursday and Friday off, so instead of dealing with this I am going to Cameron Park to ride "new to me" singletrack. Blaine is going to show me around Sierra Nevada Foothills, 3.5 hours Thursday, beer then maybe Granite Bay group ride action for an hour in evening, and sleepover, then Friday 3 hour ride, then back home to Bay Area. Should be epic 2 day adventure! I am so stoked! Joey may come on Friday morning to ride 2nd day with us. Awesome! We will hit Salmon Falls, which I rode 20 years ago, but can't even remember what it was like, I guess that trail goes both directions from parking lot now. I'm so excited! What were we talking about?

mtbr member
    Oct 2006

He's got his own web page which was updated recently.

http://mjvande.nfshost.com/mtbfaq.htm

YOUREGO ISNOT YOURAMIGO
    Quote Originally Posted by the.vault View Post

Frequently Asked Questions about Mountain Biking
    What a KOOK!

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    Good old MV...he can keep us entertained for hours! I have been curious as to how he got this way with MTB's. Was it one traumatic encounter or was it cumulative over time. Also curious is the energy he puts into all the internet posts, perhaps convinced he will prevail in the end and persuade even us hardcore MTB'ers to join him in his crusade. As far as a public hazard, I guess he attempted to puncture someone's tire with an ice pick. While not cool, he's not exactly Jeffrey Dahmer, but I haven't looked in his freezer...

banned
    Sep 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Brewtality View Post
    In the process of losing his balance, his face might hit my fist, over and over and over...........
    It would really be a tragedy we need to protect him.
    I appreciate the attempt at humor, Brew....really, I do. But I'm being serious here. Think about it: a frail, bitter old man, armed with a sharp-edged weapon/tool, out away from supervision in rough country.

He could easily encounter another person, or just think he has encountered another person, and due to his totally negative state of mind, he would assume they were a BAD person. Slashing out at that real or imagined person, he would certainly miss, and the momentum, the follow-through, of his attemp[ted stab/slash, could easily, and likely, cary through and impale the weapon /tool in his own body, possibly puncturing an artery!

Then, we would have a frail, confused,, bitter old man, with a sharp metal object embedded in a possibly lethal area of his body (well, at that age, almost ANY area on his body is going to be lethal) rolling down a sttewp dropoff from a trail above.

I'm sure that if you encountered him yourself, Brew, you'd have pity and compassion for the confused old buzzard, just like you do for those sorry old sots in the old folks' homes. You'd probably reach out to him as he lost his balance, catching hold of an arm or something, in an attempt to save him from that fateful tumble, only to discover that your grip on his brittle, weak, and atrophied arm would result in his shoulder loudly and painfully dislocating, only adding to his distress.

The poor, bitter old bugger. i really feel sorry for him. Sincerely. At the very least, he should be fitted with an unremovable POV video camera, giving 24/7 live feed of what he is looking at, and also another unremovable GPS tracking device, all in an attempt to prevent him from hurting himself.

It's the very least that we as a civilized people can do, and the good folks of NorCal are well-known across the country for being a compassionate, empathic lot, aren't they?

mtbr member
    Oct 2006

Quote Originally Posted by GoGoGordo View Post
    What a KOOK!
    Man, his entire web page is crazier. http://mjvande.nfshost.com/

I wonder how intentional his choice of the courier font is.

mtbr member

Re: New! New! New! Vandeman in Court Thread. Accept no substitutes!

http://mjvande.nfshost.com/mtbfaq.htm
    Thanks for a good laugh!

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk

mtb'er
    Ha! My gf made his "pictoral overview" page. I'm amused and disturbed at the same time

Wildlife Need Habitat Off-Limits To Humans! -- A Pictorial Overview of Mike Vandeman's Home Page

Ms. Rutzie in Redwood:

mtbr member
    Wow...I thought he was just one of the run of the mill anti mountain bike whack jobs. He carries it to the next level of obsessive mental illness. A complete moratorium on all road construction and a process to start ripping up existing roads? He just doesn't want anyone "interfering" with nature and sees bikes as getting more people out farther into his ecosystems, which leads him to say horses should be eliminated as well in certain areas. A fascinating look into a obsessive mind. Guess he doesn't believe the theory that getting people involved and into nature will lead them to value it more, making efforts to preserve it both at home and places they've never been.
    I never said most of the things I said - Yogi Berra

I'm really diggin it!

Quote Originally Posted by Stripes View Post
    That didn't work with me. He gave me the same response then continued to spam me. I filed a spam complaint against him with AT&T (his provider). Next time that happens, I'll be calling them. There is zero excuse for this.

While he may have served his dues, people like him do not change. All you have to do is see all the articles he's replied to online with the typical anti-MTB rhetoric as they are continuing on today.

My concern is someone seriously gets hurt by him. Many people now ride with kids--could you imagine him talking to or hurting your children? /shivers at the thought

Maybe it's justification to record your rides all the time: in case you do run into him, because then you'll have video evidence. I can't imagine a second offense helping his cause.
    Stripes. I'm glad someone gets it. I started riding at a very young age and I had been confronted, yelled at pushed and threatened with hiking poles all before I was 18. There are a lot of young and vulnerable people on bike that use public spaces and they are easy targets for people that hate mountain bikers.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Well, while researching some other issues I saw this:

https://www.hcn.org/issues/43.16/flo...ountain-biking

MV got into the comments section in a big way and had a very spirited discussion with several people. The editor finally ended it. Go to the last 15 or so posts for the best stuff. This guy really eggs him on until MV starts saying stuff like this.

"Brian, see what I mean? You fabricate, instead of telling the truth. You are one sick dude! As you well know, I never said that. It's not like you can't READ what I wrote. But you seem more interested in making up stuff. The mountain bikers lied in order to punish me for blowing the whistle on their illegal mountain biking. The jury was just STUPID. But that's the nature of the jury system: humans think that they can tell who is telling the truth. They CAN'T. But I can tell that you are lying, because I have intimate knowledge of the subject you are talking about (me, for example).

How about answering my questions?"

He goes even deeper into how his whole conviction was a conspiracy. Doesn't exactly sound like he's learned from his mistakes and probation.

Sweater
    Quote Originally Posted by timetraveler View Post

MV got into the comments section in a big way and had a very spirited discussion with several people. The editor finally ended it. Go to the last 15 or so posts for the best stuff. This guy really eggs him on until MV starts saying stuff like this.

"Brian, see what I mean? You fabricate, instead of telling the truth. You are one sick dude! As you well know, I never said that. It's not like you can't READ what I wrote. But you seem more interested in making up stuff. The mountain bikers lied in order to punish me for blowing the whistle on their illegal mountain biking. The jury was just STUPID. But that's the nature of the jury system: humans think that they can tell who is telling the truth. They CAN'T. But I can tell that you are lying, because I have intimate knowledge of the subject you are talking about (me, for example).

How about answering my questions?"

He goes even deeper into how his whole conviction was a conspiracy. Doesn't exactly sound like he's learned from his mistakes and probation.
    I'm pretty sure he just said he wasn't human in there...
    All out of S**** and down to my last F***

mtbr member
    He's quite active in the alt.mountain-bike newsgroup. Seems to post up articles about mountain bikers being injured or killed every few days/weeks, with recent activity. This may suggest an obsession with mountain bikers being hurt which would seem relevant to his mental stability and the safety of the public.

https://groups.google.com/forum/#!fo....mountain-bike

Cleavage Of The Tetons
    Man, his entire web page is crazier. Wildlife Need Habitat Off-Limits To Humans! Mike Vandeman's Second Home Page

I wonder how intentional his choice of the courier font is.
    That's kookier than a Dr. Bronner's bottle, fer chrissakes!
    "We LOVE cows! They make trails for us.....

And then we eat them."

Thrill Bikers Unite!

ballbuster
    Quote Originally Posted by rideit View Post
    That's kookier than a Dr. Bronner's bottle, fer chrissakes!
    Wowzers! Dude has a lot of time on his hands, and a one-track mind. The dude seriously thinks he's single-handedly saving the world. That is one big windmill he's jousting in his mind.

Paper or plastic?
    The Mike Vandeman Frequently Asked Questions

MVD is is his late 60s by now, if not 70. He's also not very smart. I assume that he has retired or gotten from AT&T where he worked at the time of the trial. He probably spends all his time trolling the web to spew his venom. He's obviously consumed with his quixotic quest against MTBing. Best thing we can do is ignore him. Remember, "you can't argue with idiots. They bring down to their level, and beat you with experience".

Mental illnesses are sad to watch.
    Faster is not always better, but it's always more fun

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    A lot of you people are very wrong about MV. I had the pleasure of exchanging emails with him a few years back-before I knew of his notoriety. We argued about a few things but then I finally understood where he was coming from. Now I see the light and realize that Mountain Biking is the root of all environmental problems facing the world today. Global warming, pollution, habitat destruction, fracking-you name it-Mountain Biking is to blame for it. Of course, you Mountain Bikers will deny it all because, as Mike told me, you're all liars!

enjoying the scenery
    I think "liars" should be in all caps.
    2015 Surly Karate Monkey
    2010 Niner EMD9
    2008 Specialized Epic Marathon

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    All I know is that anybody that writes about saving the Alameda Whipsnake is ABSOLUTELY a LOON!

Letters: Alameda Whipsnake vs. Bikes and Bulldozers

Oh Snap!

Obi
    -_-
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by timetraveler View Post

That ish right there's funny and incriminating as all heck. MV basically saying it wasn't ADW yet right there, plain as day on the docket are PC 417(A(1 M , PC 245(A)1) M , and PC 242 M. The court spells it all out, he brandished a weapon, with intent, possibly deadly intent, and battered.

He's lucky it's harder to get a CCW in California now. Eventually he'll mess with the wrong person and things will end bad. I hope he gets the psychiatric help he so badly needs and it's court ordered.

J-Flo
    Apr 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by zorg View Post
    The Mike Vandeman Frequently Asked Questions

MVD is is his late 60s by now, if not 70. He's also not very smart. I assume that he has retired or gotten from AT&T where he worked at the time of the trial. He probably spends all his time trolling the web to spew his venom. He's obviously consumed with his quixotic quest against MTBing. Best thing we can do is ignore him. Remember, "you can't argue with idiots. They bring down to their level, and beat you with experience".

Mental illnesses are sad to watch.
    Right. The problem with arguing with a crazy person is that nobody can tell who is the crazy one. I fully agree that MV needs to be ignored; he lives off attention and is good at getting it. But I don't agree is an idiot. If he were an idiot he would not be so insidious and dangerous (even without a saw in his hand).

banned
    Sep 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by bpressnall View Post
    A lot of you people are very wrong about MV. I had the pleasure of exchanging emails with him a few years back-before I knew of his notoriety. We argued about a few things but then I finally understood where he was coming from. Now I see the light and realize that Mountain Biking is the root of all environmental problems facing the world today. Global warming, pollution, habitat destruction, fracking-you name it-Mountain Biking is to blame for it. Of course, you Mountain Bikers will deny it all because, as Mike told me, you're all liars!
    Say, Bill, did MV mention anything to you about the "mountain biker gene"? Via secret research, conducted clandestinely in a basement somewhere in Berkeley, he's close to conclusively isolating and identifying it.
    This will of course provide the means to find a 'cure' for this aberration, and if it doesn't lead to a cure, it will at least give Society a means whereby to detect those mentally deformed by it, and take steps to protect them from us, and themselves as well.

Once again, Science for the Win!

mtbr member
    Wow. I just spent a fair amount of my morning reading through his website. This guy has some serious psychopathic tendencies......... Many of his articles mention that his mother was killed in a traffic collision when he was eight...........probably the impetus for his hatred of anything with wheels.

I'm really diggin it!
    Quote Originally Posted by Jfloren View Post
    Right. The problem with arguing with a crazy person is that nobody can tell who is the crazy one. I fully agree that MV needs to be ignored; he lives off attention and is good at getting it. But I don't agree is an idiot. If he were an idiot he would not be so insidious and dangerous (even without a saw in his hand).
    And thus my issue with MCBC partnering with the MHC... ignore crazy people.

At the same time we need to be proactive to make sure they can not harm members of our community that are vulnerable. Like high school kids...

Axe
    Custom User Title
    Huh.. Just got another direct spam from Mike titled "Close Scottish mountains to hillwalkers".

I think he hates people in general, not just off-road cyclists. Just channeling it on bikes.

It's about showing up.
    He started with oppostion to the development of roads and automobile use. That was too big a bite so now we have him. Lucky us.
    I don't rattle.

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by chansel View Post
    All I know is that anybody that writes about saving the Alameda Whipsnake is ABSOLUTELY a LOON!

Letters: Alameda Whipsnake vs. Bikes and Bulldozers

Oh Snap!
    Dear God. I felt like I just read a rejected SNL skit.

Paper or plastic?
    Quote Originally Posted by brad h View Post
    Dear God. I felt like I just read a rejected SNL skit.
    I stopped at "gentlepersons". What is this? 1892?

banned
    Sep 2010
    MV takes a binary view of the world, and issues in general, to the extreme. I believe that is a symptom of something diagnosable, but since I'm not a psychiatrist, I can't say for sure...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Obi View Post
    He's lucky it's harder to get a CCW in California now. Eventually he'll mess with the wrong person and things will end bad. I hope he gets the psychiatric help he so badly needs and it's court ordered.
    Yep, except that it's only hard to get a CCW in the more civilized parts of California. Out her in the perimeter ya just pay the fees....and take the classes. No kidding. Iffin Slash Nutty ever ventures outside of his safe, constructed world he would be low hanging fruit. Slash Nutty is the biggest kind of ***** there is...one who only pulls his **** where he knows he is safe. What a coward.
    "...the virus is all part of the plan to take down the cabal, man! The Bushies, and the oBamas. On the reals!" - anonymous

mtbr member

Its in the bible:

"Psychiatrist, heal thyself"

banned
    Sep 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by squareback View Post
    Its in the bible:

"Psychiatrist, heal thyself"
    If it is within his Scope of Practice, he should immediately self-prescribe and self-administer a series of fairly massive ECT treatments.
    That should do the trick.

mtbr member

Anything happen today?

It's about showing up.
    If it is within his Scope of Practice, he should immediately self-prescribe and self-administer a series of fairly massive ECT treatments.
    That should do the trick.

He's a Dr. of Mathematics so not ECT, just lots of times tables and gozintas.
    I don't rattle.

banned
    Jun 2007
    Saw this posted on Friday evening, and it seems to have been removed. Not sure if it's fair game to quote it, so if not (mod) please delete.

Quote Originally Posted by Reality Not Fantasy View Post
    Are you lying or is your memory just as bad as your critical thinking "skills"

http://forums.mtbr.com/california-no...ml#post8026595

You continue to glorify the ineffectual nutjob with your pathetic behavior.
    A-ha! It would appear that we've been graced with a sock of the most twisted kind.
    Tell me RNF (MV?), if you had one iota of common sense why would you create an account on a MTB forum?
    (Other than to spread mis-truths & vitriolic hate, backed by biased and outdated data.)
    This should be entertaining...

Time to face the facts.
    As a convicted felon who's incapable of accepting responsibility for their actions, you are now clinically considered delusional. Whatever credibility you held has been eradicated by your lack of remorse, and continued desire for retribution.

MTBers are growing in #'s, and gaining political support because, we volunteer, vote, and spend $.
    In the 29 years I've been biking off-road, I've not hit, or killed a single animal, nor have I collided with any hikers, or equestrians. If we met on the trail, I'd slow down say hello, and if in need of any help would offer it. We all enjoy getting outside in nature, and rely on each other.

IME your perceptions of dangerous bikers impacting wilderness, and all other trail users is nothing more than a rant by an individual who has been severely traumatized. Please seek help before you seriously injure another unsuspecting trail user.

Until then.... He's loose! He's loose! Run, run for your lives, and carry lemons just in case.

Fart smeller
    Quote Originally Posted by Flyin_W View Post
    He's loose! He's loose! Run, run for your lives, and carry lemons just in case.
    Oh, God, there's gonna be a tragedy! Quickly, cover yourselves with hot butter!
    _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

"If you're not outraged, you're not paying attention."

Heather Heyer

Crazed Country Rebel
    Saw this posted on Friday evening, and it seems to have been removed. Not sure if it's fair game to quote it, so if not (mod) please delete.

A-ha! It would appear that we've been graced with a sock of the most twisted kind.
    Tell me RNF (MV?), if you had one iota of common sense why would you create an account on a MTB forum?
    (Other than to spread mis-truths & vitriolic hate, backed by biased and outdated data.)
    This should be entertaining...

Time to face the facts.
    As a convicted felon who's incapable of accepting responsibility for their actions, you are now clinically considered delusional. Whatever credibility you held has been eradicated by your lack of remorse, and continued desire for retribution.

MTBers are growing in #'s, and gaining political support because, we volunteer, vote, and spend $.
    In the 29 years I've been biking off-road, I've not hit, or killed a single animal, nor have I collided with any hikers, or equestrians. If we met on the trail, I'd slow down say hello, and if in need of any help would offer it. We all enjoy getting outside in nature, and rely on each other.

IME your perceptions of dangerous bikers impacting wilderness, and all other trail users is nothing more than a rant by an individual who has been severely traumatized. Please seek help before you seriously injure another unsuspecting trail user.

Until then.... He's loose! He's loose! Run, run for your lives, and carry lemons just in case.
    That wasnt MV that you were talking to.

Mike Vandeman Sucks Dong

banned
    Jun 2007

That wasnt MV that you were talking to.
    Okay, so who is RNF, and why was his post deleted?

(tapa)

mtbr member

(tapa)
    He creates new accounts all the time - he's kind of the MV version of a mountain biker...

Crazed Country Rebel

(tapa)
    Oh for Pete's sake!

Mike Vandeman Sucks Dong

Obi
    -_-
    Oct 2005
    Oh for Pete's sake!
    Yep. I thought that Satellite went down though.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Any updates?

It's about showing up.
    Yep. I thought that Satellite went down though.
    Sooner or later they always do. I don't understand the motive for the continued attempts to participate. The sneering, the snark, the undermining and superior attitude. And, all the while, really offering nothing constructive. It is like someone with a pea-shooter hitting people in the back of the head and daring one to do anything. Really useless.
    I don't rattle.

mtbr member
    Sooner or later they always do. I don't understand the motive for the continued attempts to participate. The sneering, the snark, the undermining and superior attitude. And, all the while, really offering nothing constructive. It is like someone with a pea-shooter hitting people in the back of the head and daring one to do anything. Really useless.
    Just another ***** who can't hang in the real world so he/she shows up here and spews what they don't have the courage to say or do in the real world. Useless is right and likely been that way their whole life.
    "...the virus is all part of the plan to take down the cabal, man! The Bushies, and the oBamas. On the reals!" - anonymous

It's about showing up.
    I hear you but this is a person who has made significant contributions to our culture in other ways. That makes is bewildering and frustrating. Akin to vandalizing and pranksterism.
    I don't rattle.

mtbr member
    AlwaysSmilin Always Coming back, why do they even bother to ban him anymore, kinda pointless.

It's about showing up.
    We should have a Pete Forum which would make Peteness its own point.
    I don't rattle.

mtbr member
    I see Mikey just types a new intro, the pastes in the same message he has been using for 10 years.

I don't know the terms of his probation.
    Minus, still talking smack.
    Plus, if he is still talking, we know if he goes over the edge and is getting ready to do something.

I am inclined to let a barking dog bark as long as threats are not made.

middle ring single track
    Just a bump to remind us that he's still out there; thought I'd share my junque folder before deleting:

J-Flo
    Apr 2012
    Repugnant. Does anyone know what if anything happened at the court date? If I recall correctly, he was under a stay-off-the-trails order of some kind as part of the sentence for his crime. Hope that never ends.

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    imgur: the simple image sharer

^today, at the Parks Forward event in Sacramento. Looks like he's staying busy. Fortunately, we are being well represented at this event by a savvy contingent of local advocates.

mtbr member
    Are those posts on the HOHA forum?

Mtn biker beats up motorists?
    Did he cheer the mtn biker? Has he gotten over a car squishing his cat?

I thought it was a Lycra clad roadie?
    Or was it a guy dressed like PeeWee Herman on a Radio Flyer?

mtb'er

^today, at the Parks Forward event in Sacramento. Looks like he's staying busy. Fortunately, we are being well represented at this event by a savvy contingent of local advocates.
    At least he wore a collared shirt this year Last year he went with a t-shirt. After Major Gen. Jackson gave the closing presentation last year, I noticed MV scurry over to hand him a folder of papers... which I assumed could have been one of his infamous "manifestos". I emailed the Major General that evening to "explain things"... and was pleasantly surprised to get a nice email back expressing thanks for the insight (as well as positive comments about mountain biking).

banned
    Sep 2010

Is Mr. V the clean cut fella with the hearing aid, or the slightly out-of-focus bearded fellow getting up from the table?
    Either way, it's interesting to note that although this guy is a parolee from an offense/conviction involving trail use, he has a seat at the table at a parks event.

Makes me wonder, how many of the hater crowd idolize him?

mtb'er
    In the event this hasn't been shared before (it's old), having a State Parks "professional" respond to a typical MJV assault is a breath of fresh air to read

New! New! New! Vandeman in Court Thread. Accept no substitutes!-mjv.jpg

See p. 253-257: http://www.parks.ca.gov/pages/980/fi...fnl_digsig.pdf

ballbuster
    Quote Originally Posted by bpressnall View Post
    I knew you were BS-ing when you said 'pleasure of exchanging emails'.

It's about showing up.
    V has been deflected and ignored by most notable organizations, not so much for his position but his attitude and demeanor. They see him for a fringe nutjob, even buy many folks who share his sentiment but cannot ally themselves with such a toxic character.
    I don't rattle.

ballbuster
    V has been deflected and ignored by most notable organizations, not so much for his position but his attitude and demeanor. They see him for a fringe nutjob, even buy many folks who share his sentiment but cannot ally themselves with such a toxic character.
    Heh... when you think about it, we're all better off whenever he opens his yap. He's making our case for us, in a way. I wonder if we should actually encourage him?

mtbr member
    Hey there,
    Recently we had a local paper do an article about a trail network being planned in the area. A guy posted ripping on the idea. Searched his name which led me to this thread, now I understand he does this all the time. Crazy thing is its in Australia. Why would he bother when its not going to effect him in any way and he has no idea about the project!
    'keep the mission alive!'

Paper or plastic?
    Quote Originally Posted by pow77 View Post
    Hey there,
    Recently we had a local paper do an article about a trail network being planned in the area. A guy posted ripping on the idea. Searched his name which led me to this thread, now I understand he does this all the time. Crazy thing is its in Australia. Why would he bother when its not going to effect him in any way and he has no idea about the project!
    Because he's crazy. If you read any of his rants, you can tell that the guy has never let facts or reason get in the way of his arguments.

I'm really diggin it!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by zorg View Post
    Because he's crazy. If you read any of his rants, you can tell that the guy has never let facts or reason get in the way of his arguments.
    Yeah sounds that way. Just hope no locals jump on his ideas and cause any problems with the network. Will just leave it be and not respond unless the locals decide they like his rant.

Paper or plastic?
    Yeah sounds that way. Just hope no locals jump on his ideas and cause any problems with the network. Will just leave it be and not respond unless the locals decide they like his rant.
    He thrives on the attention. He's also a wee bit paranoid, and thinks of himself as the victim eventhough he was the attacker... Best to ignore.

mtbr member
    Yeah will just ignore. Thanks guys for the heads up.

mtb'er
    You're not alone. Here's an article from a few weeks ago (Cleveland, Ohio) where it looks like he actually got interviewed! I love it! He further cements himself as a complete loon. Ignore him... like land managers do

Mountain biking, 'hot rodding' and nature: strong opinions offered on Cuyahoga Valley National Park proposal | cleveland.com

Over it
    Jun 2010
    ^^ That is SO funny!

(although it is widely accepted that mountain biking is a gateway to hot rodding)
    Ladies and gentlemen, take my advice--pull down your pants and slide on the ice.

banned
    Sep 2010
    The story did a good job of putting his views in a 'crackpot' perspective, but I wish they also would have mentioned his criminal convictions as well.

Elitest thrill junkie
    Why would he bother when its not going to effect him in any way and he has no idea about the project!
    Because he hasn't been arrested in Australia yet.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

Crazed Country Rebel

Somebody needs to buy MV a hooker.

Mike Vandeman Sucks Dong

banned
    Sep 2010
    Since he's got a PHD in Math, she better be able to do fractions.

since 4/10/2009
    Hey there,
    I've seen his letters to the editor turn up in papers all over the damn place. Part of his MO.

Axe
    Custom User Title

Why do you hate hookers?

Crazed Country Rebel

Sorry, Someone buy the man a goat!

Mike Vandeman Sucks Dong

middle ring single track
    Sorry, Someone buy the man a goat!
    Why do you hate goats?

Don't Tread on Me
    Hillary? Answer:yes
    Consciousness, that annoying time between bike rides.

> /dev/null 2&>1
    If someone bought MV a hooker it would probably be some weird 'sacred habitat' role play where he starts with a 'manifesto' protecting the wildlife in her, ah, let's not say, and then eventually he chastises her for allowing her trails to be tread upon by various destructive 'visitors' . .. Then he castigates her for 45 min until she gives up and leaves, and he reaches crescendo the second the door slams shut.

banned
    Sep 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Procter View Post
    If someone bought MV a hooker it would probably be some weird 'sacred habitat' role play where he starts with a 'manifesto' protecting the wildlife in her, ah, let's not say, and then eventually he chastises her for allowing her trails to be tread upon by various destructive 'visitors' . .. Then he castigates her for 45 min until she gives up and leaves, and he reaches crescendo the second the door slams shut.
    Even for that sad scenario to play out he would need a handful of those erectile dysfunction pills.

Crazed Country Rebel

Name:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1416151763.660132.jpg
Views: 682
Size:  24.7 KB

Mike Vandeman Sucks Dong

Obi
    -_-
    Oct 2005
    Why, for all intents and purposes he's herpes. You may not see him, but he's always there ready to flare up at any given moment.

Not that I know anything about that sort of thing.

heaven help me
    Oct 2005
    Why, for all intents and purposes he's herpes. You may not see him, but he's always there ready to flare up at any given moment.

Not that I know anything about that sort of thing.
    He's more like Ebola and needs to be quarantined.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Since he's got a PHD in Math, she better be able to do fractions.
    According to his incoherent manifesto he has a BA in math from UC Berkley, MA in math from Harvard. His doctorate is in Psychology from UCLA. He is a self proclaimed expert in many other things. Logic and reasoning are not things he lists as being an expert in.

Old Phart
    So, has anyone heard how the whipsnakes are doing these days?
    "We have met the enemy, and he is us" - Pogo

mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    I'm not sure about them BUT he is still at it and egging on our own Jr. version of M.V. down here in Monterey County.....

It's a little scary honestly.
    "There's two kinds of people in this world - Walkers and Talkers." Which one are you?

I'm really diggin it!
    Quote Originally Posted by AndrewJL View Post
    According to his incoherent manifesto he has a BA in math from UC Berkley, MA in math from Harvard. His doctorate is in Psychology from UCLA. He is a self proclaimed expert in many other things. Logic and reasoning are not things he lists as being an expert in.
    LIAR!!!!!! WHY CAN"T YOU MOUNTAIN BIKERS JUST TELL THE TRUTH!!!!!!!

lol sorry I just had to.

Life's a Garden, dig it!
    You know... It wouldn't take a whole lot to pick apart his arguments, but it's best not to engage (enrage) him. A mediocre high school debate participant with a modicum of skills would unravel him in a few short minutes. He like to use the terms "always" and "never" in his rantings. Ripe for the picking, I tell ya!
    Goya! It's got what plants crave. It's got electrolytes. Livin in an Idiocracy.

Old Phart
    Quote Originally Posted by Me View Post
    So, has anyone heard how the whipsnakes are doing these days?
    Alameda whipsnake

Nemmind - I found my answers. But thanks for the negative rep for "stirring up old shit" anyway.
    "We have met the enemy, and he is us" - Pogo

It's about showing up.
    Quote Originally Posted by Davey Simon View Post
    LIAR!!!!!! WHY CAN"T YOU MOUNTAIN BIKERS JUST TELL THE TRUTH!!!!!!!

lol sorry I just had to.

Wow! That's a pretty convincing impression.
    I don't rattle.

mtbr member
    I am not with you on this Cornfish. Slash Nutty is a degenerate pile of shit. **** him and all like him. We ride our bicycles and he hates us far that? Riding a ****ing bicycle is all it takes for him to hate. Think about that. He deserves to be vilified. He has earned it.

mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    [QUOTE=Davey Simon;12519796]LIAR!!!!!! WHY CAN"T YOU MOUNTAIN BIKERS JUST TELL THE TRUTH!!!!!!!

lol sorry I just had to.

-Yup, that's STILL one of his lines to this day!!!
    "There's two kinds of people in this world - Walkers and Talkers." Which one are you?

Sweater
    Duh!
    All out of S**** and down to my last F***

I'm really diggin it!
    Quote Originally Posted by Buzzaro View Post
    Duh!
    lolololol

mtbr member
    Jun 2007

Uhh..

Really Mike?

Cool resident identified as SUV driver | Auburn Journal

Pati Wolf ∑ University of Montana
    Thank you for this thoughful article. And many thanks to the commenters for your condolences.
    Like ∑ Reply ∑ 1 hr

Mike Vandeman
    Bicycles should not be allowed in any natural area. They are inanimate objects and have no rights. There is also no right to mountain bike. That was settled in federal court in 1996: See also Bicycle Trails Council of Marin v . It's dishonest of mountain bikers to say that they don't have access to trails closed to bikes. They have EXACTLY the same access as everyone else -- ON FOOT! Why isn't that good enough for mountain bikers? They are all capable of walking....

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by K9-Usurper View Post
    Scum of the planet.

Life's a Garden, dig it!
    That fvcking piece of shit Vandepvssy did it! The guy deserves a lobotomy with a broken bottle.
    Goya! It's got what plants crave. It's got electrolytes. Livin in an Idiocracy.

mtbr member
    I would say unbelievable but I let that phrase go a long time back when it comes to Vandenut. I mean a cut and paste diatribe against mountain biking on a comment section about the tragic death due to a car accident of a guy who loved mountain biking? Yet another disturbing action by a clearly mentally ill individual.