Nevada City to Pioneer Trail- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Nevada City to Pioneer Trail

We want to do the big loop that goes from Nevada City (town) to Pioneer trail then to Washington, South Yuba and back to town.

First, is there a trail that goes from town to Pioneer or do we have to ride the road to the store?
    Second, once we get to the end of South Yuba what's the best way to get back into town?

Thanks.

VEGAN ATHLETE Racing
    PM sent.
    Take a look at and consider "liking" our VAR Facebook and VAR Instagram pages.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Its a great ride, used to do it a bunch.

I recall an old water ditch trail on the South side of HWY 20 that dropped you lower than the store and you climbed back up. It was a local route and may not have been the most direct.

On the way back we rode all the way to Purdon Crossing and ran out of daylight so we had to rely on the road in the dark. Once it was so freaking hot we had to swim at the river and chill for a while and got back after dark.

Getting back after dark has been my main experience... make sure to leave early.

Great adventure no mater what.

mtbr member
    Ended up doing the ride on Saturday. I printed out three copies of all the maps and then left them at home.

We parked at the ranger station on Coyote in Nevada City and headed up Coyote to find the Pioneer trail. We went too far and ended up on North Bloomfield. Followed that for awhile and realized that we were doing the loop backwards.

Well, so be it. We then rode to the South Yuba campground and got on the trail and headed for Washington.
    We got to Washington without too many mishaps, except the one where I endo'd and my bike cartwheeled off the trail and landed down the cliff about 30 feet below. Good thing we had Batman with us and he climbed down and got it. I will be forever grateful for that effort!

We climbed the main road out of Washington, crossed 20 and hopped onto the Pioneer trail. Followed that to the Harmony Ridge store where we took a break and had a few beers. Then we hopped back on the Pioneer and went to the end? For the last few downhill miles we stayed on 20.
    Got back to the truck just as my front tire went flat.

Great ride! Strong intermediate to advanced only!

Ride time: 6 hours

Miles:50
    Last edited by Oro D; 08-23-2010 at 07:27 AM.

bike whore
    Dec 2008
    Big Brother, Big Sister ride in reverse.

Members who have read this thread: 1