Nearly fatal Anaphylaxis- Mtbr.com
Results 1 to 39 of 39
  1. #1
    mtbr dismember
    Reputation: Wherewolf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    6,988

    Nearly fatal Anaphylaxis

    Last week I had Anaphylaxis from a medication and barely made it to the emergency room before collapsing. I had perhaps another minute of life left in me and they called my living will administrator. Iím still a bit shaken, high on Prednisone, and have pretty poor balance. But I took it easy today and got in my first ride on a beautiful 75 degree day! Great to be alive!




  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation: squashyo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Posts
    5,110
    That's scary indeed. I was building a jump in the park behind my house a few years back and pissed off some yellow jacket. Got stung a few times so went home. Even though I had been stung countless times before, this one took and I too experienced anaphylaxis. Lucky for me, I was home and the paramedics were at my door in under 5 minutes. Carry an epi-pen with me at all times now.
    I'm not sure how this works.

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation: ryanxj's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    1,399
    wow. Crazy mad crazy stories from both of you. Glad things turned out for the better...

    squash- can you give more info/detail? Was it a random reaction, or did you turn allergic and not know it?

  4. #4
    Crash Dummy In Training
    Reputation: PauLCa916's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    1,432
    Wow Glad you both made it.
    I bet during the ride you were thinking how great full you are to be alive I know I would of been.
    ​​
    2015 Flyxii / ENVE /Chris King Carbon 29'er H.T.
    SRAM XX1
    2012 Stump Jumper Comp 29'er H.T. SRAM XX1
    1997 Rock Hopper / Rock Shox Recon Silver / 1 x 10 SRAM X9 XO Mix XT V Brake system

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation: ryanxj's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    1,399
    Quote Originally Posted by PauLCa916 View Post
    I bet during EVERY ride you are thinking how great full you are to be alive; I know I do.

    fify

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation: squashyo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Posts
    5,110
    Quote Originally Posted by ryanxj View Post
    wow. Crazy mad crazy stories from both of you. Glad things turned out for the better...

    squash- can you give more info/detail? Was it a random reaction, or did you turn allergic and not know it?
    It was pretty random as I had been bit countless times before with no ill effects. I guess my immunity just gave in or the particular family of YJs had something funky that my body didn't care for. If I can say anything here is even if you aren't allergic DEFINITELY carry some Benedryl in your pack just in case. Had this happened to me way out in the forest, I would have been toast.
    I'm not sure how this works.

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    100
    Glad you are well enough to get such a great shot of Black Bart's hideout.

  8. #8
    Crash Dummy In Training
    Reputation: PauLCa916's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    1,432
    Quote Originally Posted by ryanxj View Post
    fify
    Thanks Ryan,
    That makes more sense at my age it's like be for during and after
    ​​
    2015 Flyxii / ENVE /Chris King Carbon 29'er H.T.
    SRAM XX1
    2012 Stump Jumper Comp 29'er H.T. SRAM XX1
    1997 Rock Hopper / Rock Shox Recon Silver / 1 x 10 SRAM X9 XO Mix XT V Brake system

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation: ryanxj's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    1,399
    Quote Originally Posted by squashyo View Post
    It was pretty random as I had been bit countless times before with no ill effects...even if you aren't allergic DEFINITELY carry some Benedryl in your pack just in case...
    Hadnt really thought of it 'till reading your post. Im 29, cant recall last time I got stung but have never had an issue. That being said, Id hate to learn the hard way in the middle of the woods, and I dont wanna go piss on a nest just to see how things go so...

    So some benedryl does the trick in a pinch?

  10. #10
    fresh fish in stock...... SuperModerator
    Reputation: CHUM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    8,633
    glad you're OK! It's crazy how fast it can hit....

    me + penicillin = ded CHUM....
    Click Here for Forum Rules

  11. #11
    I like mtn biking, too
    Reputation: shredchic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    3,193
    Wow Wherewolf - thank goodness you are ok! Take care. And that's not just a light little ride post-scare, either!
    Half the planet is deep into bloody tribal mayhem. Weíre just riding bikes (and drinking beer) here.
    ~Fairfaxian

  12. #12
    Rent this space for $
    Reputation: Oh My Sack!'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    3,598
    Way to cheat death, Wherewolf!

    Hey, be careful riding while you're under the influence of that prednisone. Starting back in May, about the time I got back into MTB after my neck surgery fiasco, I started having bad reactions including hives and severe facial inflammation. I went on prednisone several times to knock the symptoms down until they could figure what the hell was wrong me. I was just getting a little leg muscle back at the time but all of a sudden I had some phenomenally strong, epic rides with all kinds of energy and strength. After one great ride, I had a golf ball sized bulge protruding out of my left calf. It was gnarly and scary. Turned out to be muscle! I spent a full week, everyday, kneading and foam rolling that bulge back until it was gone. It was nasty painful to do it, too. Turns out it was all about the 'roid rage! When I got off the sh!t, I went back to my weakling self! Just take it easy so you don't blow a gasket with your super-human strength!

  13. #13
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Centurion_'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    732
    Congratulations on your survival, and on getting back on the bike so quick. That is phenomenal.

    The previous poster is right. Go easy for a couple weeks and heal.

  14. #14
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    1,631
    Take note of the medication that caused anaphylaxis. You would be surprised how many people have had bad reactions to meds, but can't remember what the meds were. THIS IS YOUR DRUG ALLERGIES that you get asked about when you visit your physician or ER visits.
    The guy yo' momma "act" like she don't know!

  15. #15
    mtbr dismember
    Reputation: Wherewolf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    6,988

    Caused by new gloves

    This is actually the result of wearing new biking gloves last Spring in Arizona! They must have had Neoprene in them, which I'm allergic to. I wore them all day and broke out over much of my body for several months thereafter. I been super-sensitive to all kinds of things ever since. Of course an EpiPen is one more thing I've added to my pack.

  16. #16
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    4,800
    I took that same pic yesterday! Glad you're ok.



    Nearly fatal Anaphylaxis-fixsyh8.jpg

  17. #17
    It's about showing up.
    Reputation: Berkeley Mike's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    12,737
    But your knees are still good. Right?
    I don't rattle.

  18. #18
    mtbr member
    Reputation: GuruAtma's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    3,744
    Glad you're OK Steve.
    功夫大师喜欢骑着他的自行车在山上。

  19. #19
    RDI
    RDI is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    100
    NorCal Board wouldn't be the same without you. Glad you made it.

  20. #20
    mtbr dismember
    Reputation: Wherewolf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    6,988

    Worse

    Quote Originally Posted by Berkeley Mike View Post
    But your knees are still good. Right?
    Lying in bed for nearly a week has confirmed what I've long suspected, riding is a net plus for the knees. When I got out of the hospital they hurt worse than they have in years. I have had to force myself to get out walking on them even though they hurt. Looking forward to the pain of riding Auburn again tomorrow. I have some big dates set for Arizona and have to get back in shape.

  21. #21
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    3,912
    Glad to see you back out on the bike Steve.

  22. #22
    Paper or plastic?
    Reputation: zorg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    9,781
    20 messages, and not one joke about auto erotic asphyxiation?

    Glad that you're in one piece and riding.
    Faster is not always better, but it's always more fun

  23. #23
    mtbr member
    Reputation: RossJamis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Posts
    385
    Quote Originally Posted by Wherewolf View Post
    Lying in bed for nearly a week has confirmed what I've long suspected, riding is a net plus for the knees. When I got out of the hospital they hurt worse than they have in years. I have had to force myself to get out walking on them even though they hurt. Looking forward to the pain of riding Auburn again tomorrow. I have some big dates set for Arizona and have to get back in shape.
    Have you ever been tested for lyme? I was diagnosed two years ago. It all started with a supposed allergic reaction to meds. Doc just put me on different meds and I kept getting sicker. Knee/joint pain is a lyme symptom also.
    When you've seen someone rupture their scrotum on a bike you won't take the standards for top tube clearance lightly!

  24. #24
    weekend worrier
    Reputation: sactojesse's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    562
    Yikes! I witnessed you lecture a couple of guys for blocking the trail on Saturday and I thought "He must be having a bad day." Sounds like it was more like a really, really bad week! Sorry to hear.

  25. #25
    mtbr dismember
    Reputation: Wherewolf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    6,988

    Lecture?

    Quote Originally Posted by sactojesse View Post
    Yikes! I witnessed you lecture a couple of guys for blocking the trail on Saturday and I thought "He must be having a bad day." Sounds like it was more like a really, really bad week! Sorry to hear.
    The only people I spoke to were blocking the entrance to Fuel Break between the rocks. As I approached I yelled "beep, beep" several times. When they didn't move I said "please don't block the trail" and then "thank you", and I rode on. Hardly a lecture, and not at all inappropriate.

  26. #26
    It's about showing up.
    Reputation: Berkeley Mike's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    12,737
    Some folks just make things hard because that aren't thinking about anyone else. When you have press to get through to them, funny, somehow they never look bad.
    I don't rattle.

  27. #27
    mtbr member
    Reputation: X-FXR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    702
    Quote Originally Posted by Oh My Sack! View Post
    Way to cheat death, Wherewolf!

    Hey, be careful riding while you're under the influence of that prednisone. Starting back in May, about the time I got back into MTB after my neck surgery fiasco, I started having bad reactions including hives and severe facial inflammation. I went on prednisone several times to knock the symptoms down until they could figure what the hell was wrong me. I was just getting a little leg muscle back at the time but all of a sudden I had some phenomenally strong, epic rides with all kinds of energy and strength. After one great ride, I had a golf ball sized bulge protruding out of my left calf. It was gnarly and scary. Turned out to be muscle! I spent a full week, everyday, kneading and foam rolling that bulge back until it was gone. It was nasty painful to do it, too. Turns out it was all about the 'roid rage! When I got off the sh!t, I went back to my weakling self! Just take it easy so you don't blow a gasket with your super-human strength!
    Prednisone is a corticosteroid, not an anabolic steroid. It will not build muscle.
    Quote Originally Posted by k1creeker View Post
    "yeah, she's fat, but you'd take her for a ride." :D

  28. #28
    mtbr member
    Reputation: X-FXR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    702
    Good to hear you recovered. Scary stuff for sure. Iím wondering if synthetic/bioengineered food and clothing etc wreak havoc on our immune systems.
    Quote Originally Posted by k1creeker View Post
    "yeah, she's fat, but you'd take her for a ride." :D

  29. #29
    Rent this space for $
    Reputation: Oh My Sack!'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    3,598
    Quote Originally Posted by X-FXR View Post
    Prednisone is a corticosteroid, not an anabolic steroid. It will not build muscle.
    Never suggested it would. It does however, have an effect on the body in a way that allows one to push beyond their normal limits and do damage to themselves with no pain exactly as I did. Confirmed by a couple M.D's after the fact.

  30. #30
    weekend worrier
    Reputation: sactojesse's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    562
    Quote Originally Posted by Wherewolf View Post
    The only people I spoke to were blocking the entrance to Fuel Break between the rocks. As I approached I yelled "beep, beep" several times. When they didn't move I said "please don't block the trail" and then "thank you", and I rode on. Hardly a lecture, and not at all inappropriate.
    No worries. Just giving you a hard time. My friends and I overheard the exchange and found it amusing. Ride on!

  31. #31
    mtbr member
    Reputation: X-FXR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    702
    Quote Originally Posted by Oh My Sack! View Post
    Never suggested it would. It does however, have an effect on the body in a way that allows one to push beyond their normal limits and do damage to themselves with no pain exactly as I did. Confirmed by a couple M.D's after the fact.
    For you but everyone reacts to medication differently. I've been on it many times and don't share the same results and yes this is verified by M.D's as well. Your third sentence one could easily make that determination. Either way it's a horrible wonder drug....
    Quote Originally Posted by k1creeker View Post
    "yeah, she's fat, but you'd take her for a ride." :D

  32. #32
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    902
    Second that on "way to cheat death, Wherewolf." BTW, if you have any leftover prednisone I would be happy to send you a UPS shipping label and package and $5 to get them out of your house.

    Pred is the best medicine I have ever taken.

    Best wishes,
    TR

  33. #33
    banned
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    4,816
    Corticosteroids were well on their way to killing JFK when Lee Harvey Oswald cut the process short. You gotta be very careful with those things.

  34. #34
    mtbr dismember
    Reputation: Wherewolf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    6,988

    Doctor's orders

    A lot of semi-dormant medical problems have reemerged due to too much lying around the past 12 days.The doctor said I need to get back to my normal biking routine as soon as possible. After living 2/3 of my life in snow and cold I never fail to appreciate Norcal winters. Today was especially nice and I followed those orders. Except for a lack of elasticity in my lungs I felt pretty good, so I backed off a bit on the climbs. Broke my chain on The Connector return, but that couldn't spoil my day. Thanks to the person who helped me!


  35. #35
    mtbr dismember
    Reputation: Wherewolf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    6,988

    Amen!

    Quote Originally Posted by elder_mtber View Post
    Pred is the best medicine I have ever taken.
    Amen! I'm seriously allergic to Poison Oak and Prednisone works like a Biblical miracle almost immediately!

  36. #36
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    94
    I vaguely remember a thread a while back which asked if it would be wise to give a stranger your pain medication. Something along the lines helping a brother out who is injured and in pain.

    PLEASE DO NOT GIVE PEOPLE YOUR MEDICATIONS!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    Even when something is prescribed it sometimes causes and adverse reaction, including anaphylaxis. Even worse; if its the first time someone has gone into anaphylactic shock they probably don't have an Epi-Pen. Do not make a shitty situation potentially shittier by administering your medication to someone else.

  37. #37
    mtbr member
    Reputation: X-FXR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    702
    Quote Originally Posted by Reillyj View Post
    I vaguely remember a thread a while back which asked if it would be wise to give a stranger your pain medication. Something along the lines helping a brother out who is injured and in pain.

    PLEASE DO NOT GIVE PEOPLE YOUR MEDICATIONS!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    Even when something is prescribed it sometimes causes and adverse reaction, including anaphylaxis. Even worse; if its the first time someone has gone into anaphylactic shock they probably don't have an Epi-Pen. Do not make a shitty situation potentially shittier by administering your medication to someone else.
    While I agree for the most part on premise, unless itís determined you acted maliciously, you are covered in CA if you do end up helping and they donít make it. Iím not advocating either way but for me itíd be situation dependent rather than a blanket statement.
    Quote Originally Posted by k1creeker View Post
    "yeah, she's fat, but you'd take her for a ride." :D

  38. #38
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    94
    Quote Originally Posted by X-FXR View Post
    While I agree for the most part on premise, unless itís determined you acted maliciously, you are covered in CA if you do end up helping and they donít make it. Iím not advocating either way but for me itíd be situation dependent rather than a blanket statement.

    Say you stumbled upon someone who crashed badly, vomited from a head injury and was choking on his own vomit. You position him to drain the vomit, but end up aggravating his neck injury, causing him to die. This is the sort of situation a good samaritan law would protect you in.

    As far as protecting you if you gave someone your prescription pain
    meds, thats a tough one. Its illegal, and pain is not life threatening, so I don't know if samaritan laws would cover you.

  39. #39
    I like mtn biking, too
    Reputation: shredchic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    3,193
    I think the point is simply that if someone we're trying to help has an adverse reaction to a medication that makes their situation more dire, we're not helping. Personally, I wouldn't accept any prescription drug out in the forest where there is nothing that can be done for an adverse reaction. Even a seemingly innocent OTC drug such as Aspirin could do more harm than good if the patient is bleeding, as it is a blood thinner. Internal bleeding/shock due to blood loss is a possibility wherever there is a mechanism of injury - i.e. mountain bike crash. It was interesting that most of what you learn in WFA is how to assess a situation, get out of immediate danger, gather appropriate info for a clear and succinct 911 call, and make the patient comfortable for a long wait until the real arrives. We're not doctors.
    Half the planet is deep into bloody tribal mayhem. Weíre just riding bikes (and drinking beer) here.
    ~Fairfaxian

Similar Threads

  1. Nearly fatal Anaphylaxis
    By Wherewolf in forum Rider Down, injuries and recovery
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 01-18-2014, 07:27 PM
  2. "People Catcher" Missing on Fatal Bus
    By mtbxplorer in forum Commuting
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 10-23-2013, 08:44 PM
  3. Is it fatal?
    By Bruce in SoCal in forum Bike and Frame discussion
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 06-14-2013, 03:02 PM
  4. Questions about the fatal accident at McDowell
    By The Prodigal Son in forum Arizona
    Replies: 20
    Last Post: 02-20-2012, 06:18 AM
  5. Injury and fatal accident study by ADOT
    By Birdss in forum Arizona
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 09-24-2011, 07:18 AM

Members who have read this thread: 0

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

THE SITE

ABOUT MTBR

VISIT US AT

© Copyright 2020 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.