Near death experience (pics!)- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Near death experience (pics!)

Well it all started out as our usual 25 mile ride at Annadel. Me, Wherewolf, Cohen5, VTT and Lemonhead were having a great day despite a misbehaving derailleur and some minor falls.
    Here we see Cohen5 (with the misbehaving derailleur), Lemonhead and VTT.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    功夫大师喜欢骑着他的自行车在山上。

mtbr member
    Wherewolf was his normal happy self, gladly posing for photos

Perhaps when we came upon this big snake in the trail we should have taken it as an omen and slowed down a bit.
    功夫大师喜欢骑着他的自行车在山上。

mtbr member
    Then, as we were descending a rough part of Rough Go, disaster struck. Wherewolf tries to follow my incredibly bad line, and dramatically (and loudly) crashes.

These photos are not posed. The smile in the second photo is merely gratitude at being alive.

Don't worry, Wherewolf was fine except for a few small cuts.
    Like all good friends, I shouted: "Are you ok? Don't move, I gotta get a picture of this!"
    Last edited by GuruAtma; 05-13-2006 at 05:03 PM.
    功夫大师喜欢骑着他的自行车在山上。

mtbr member
    A few minutes before the crash we passed a biker without a helmet, and Wherewolf commented that they guy must be stupid to do that.
    To illustrate the point, Wherewolf made sure to use his helmet for its intended purpose. If he hadn't had it on, bad things probably would have happened to him.

The pictures don't really show the extend of the damage to the helmet, but suffice to say there were big chunks missing and cracks all over it.

We're glad you're OK Steve
    功夫大师喜欢骑着他的自行车在山上。

Obi
    -_-
    Oct 2005

Please tell Steve...

I'm glad he's OK. Rest/heal up.

Obi..

mtbr member
    WOW-that's a huge chunk that was taken out! Glad to hear he's well!
    You only live once, but if you work it right, once is enough.

-Joe Louis

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    That could have been disasterous

I'm glad to hear that WhereWolf is OK.

wg
    Fermented Grain Sampler
    Happy that the skid lid was in place! It gave its life to protect the noggin'.
    Good that other body parts weren't damaged.

Now, how's the bike? You know ppl are gonna wanna know.....
    Don't harsh my mello

Oct 2004
    Wow, glad to hear your ok Steve. I'll be waiting for your account of what happened.

Aug 2004

You're buying a new helmet right???

Call the manufacturer they may give you a discount if you return it to them - some of them like to study real world performance of helmets.....

Glad everyone is ok.....

Quote Originally Posted by GuruAtma
    A few minutes before the crash we passed a biker without a helmet, and Wherewolf commented that they guy must be stupid to do that.
    To illustrate the point, Wherewolf made sure to use his helmet for its intended purpose. If he hadn't had it on, bad things probably would have happened to him.

The pictures don't really show the extend of the damage to the helmet, but suffice to say there were big chunks missing and cracks all over it.

We're glad you're OK Steve

mtbr dismember

I'm OK

I'm OK and good thing I didn't go back up for the bonus loop. Despite my usual post ride mega-doses of Tylenol Arthritis and Motrin I developed quite a headache on the drive home and I still have it. Also have some good scrapes on my shoulder, elbow and thigh, and even a slight scratch on my face. Ironically, however, what hurt the most was that tiny cut on my finger that Lemonhead had to put a band-aid on. It happened as GuruAtma said. I love going down that section of Rough Go with the big volcanic rocks and I encouraged him to take all the big ones. He took a different line than I usually do but I decided to followed. In mid air I decided that wasn't such a good idea, I hesitated a bit, and next thing I know my head was hitting one of those big rocks in slow motion. I felt fine but I stayed down for a bit to make sure I was OK and to let GuruAtma get his photos.

But the trails were in perfect shape and it was nice to be able to make stuff I couldn't make all winter because of the slick surfaces. What a pleasant surprise to see Lemonhead! She has been road riding all winter and she is faster than ever. If she could remember the trails she could have finished in half the time. Kudos to Cohenfive for sticking with us despite having derailleur problems for 2/3rd of the ride and despite at least two falls. Always great riding with VTT since we have the same riding preferences. A reminder for you folks to sign up for a 9 am shuttle for Downieville on Saturday June 24th. Hopefully I'll see you all in two weeks for the MBTB Annadel ride. We can take folks on this ride.

Something seemed a bit strange about GuruAtma today and he was sporting a new look. He was flying, both up and down the trails, whooping it up, and he took us on part of the Boundary Trail, which was rutted, rocky and rooty, and tougher than anything I've seen at Annadel. Lemonhead had a spectacular fall on a big boulder right in front of me and I don't know how she didn't get hurt. I think GuruAtma was the only one to make it all the way down. Look closely at his photos. Don't evil twins always have a sinister looking goatee? My photos sucked today but here are a few.

Lemonhead, VTT, Cohenfive, GuruAtma 

Cohenfive

GuruAtma 

Used to be fun riding through this stream

Break time, note the guy on the left

Lemonhead, VTT on South Burma

Lemonhead

Cohenfive on North Burma

I've always liked this tree on Schultz

mtbr member
    I was just out there with some friends today - my first MTB ride since New Years Day.

The Burmas chewed us up, giving us two flat tires, and sending two guys head over heels!

I've spent the last four months training for a half-ironman triathlon - it feels good to be back on trails again!

Aug 2004

That headache is a slight concusion.....

Take it easy for the next few days...... if it get's worse you may want to check with your Dr. I've had them from slight crashes - it's often accomanied with nausia..... and headaces for a few days....

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by jhruth
    Take it easy for the next few days...... if it get's worse you may want to check with your Dr. I've had them from slight crashes - it's often accomanied with nausia..... and headaces for a few days....
    What he said. And AVOID ALCOHOL. Been there, done that, the headache gets A LOT WORSE.

Glad you are otherwise OK. Nice photos.

Track Junkie
    Steve

Glad to hear you are ok. I wish I could have made the ride, but I had to work today (Sat). I look forward to more adventurous epic rides this season!

-Brad
    I get paid to ride shotgun.

MTBr ReMember
    Steve,
    Glad to see you are okay...
    I should have had your helmet on my shoulder today...

Hope we are both ready to ride in two weeks...It will be back to the flak jacket for me tho'.
    There isn't any thing sticking out but some of the muscles got way over used.

Tim

Bunny Hugger

Good job! Take Care, Steve.

WW, it's great that you're okay. Let's hope the headache goes away soon. But great pix as always. Take care.
    Hug the Bunny

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    we had some falls today didn't we! glad you are ok steve, i didn't see the fall but the helmet tells a tale. rest up for next week...

well at least i wasn't that tired at the end of the ride, but sort of a tough day for me as well. i have been having some problems with a loose headset and today i also bent my rear derailleur hanger. i had about 6 usable gears for most of the day. surprisingly that wasn't too bad as long as i didn't push it too hard, so i just hung back and made my way up. i was dropping my chain a lot towards the end of the ride which sort of killed my confidence in trying for some stuff. alain was nice enough to introduce me to his bike mechanic so hopefully the stumpy will be at 100% by the end of the week.

i did find adel to be tougher today than i remember it as i think the rains have washed away more of the dirt leaving bigger exposed rocks behind. at the end i was more mentally than physically tired.

for the most part a fun day though!

menace to myself & others
    Aug 2005

That was you

Aha.

As my crew was going in to the taqueria for post-ride burritos, I saw a guy in an MTBR jersey, and I thought to myself, "I bet that's Wherewolf". Looks like I was right.

Shoulda said hi, but was really hungry.

Annadel's fun! Hope your head's ok.

mtbr member
    Glad to see that you are OK Steve.

Members who have read this thread: 0