• 02-01-2015
    hoolie
    1 Attachment(s)
    Napa Skyline Sanitizing on top of Manzanita. Is this the plan for Skyline?
    I rode Skyline Saturday, and someone pulled out rock on 2nd little tech section, then stacked rocks in the little gully. For those not familiar, This entire section is 2 feet long, but was very tricky. This rock stacking, and pulling a football size rock out is a substantial change in the difficulty level. I bring this up because one of you locals, could probably concrete that rock back into place if you get it soon. Otherwise, if this trail goes the way of Tamarancho, it would be a real shame. Tamarancho is very different than 5 years ago, just because 6 or 7 sections were sanitized (2 to 6 foot long sections) and a natural rock garden jack hammered.
    It starts out this way, one obstacle is ruined, then another, then a 3rd, then the next thing you know, your local trail is pure cross country, and all of the little tech sections are gone. The unsanctioned do gooders think they know better than us. Anyhow, great day up there! Hoolie, from Oakland. I will ride up there no matter what you guys do to your trails, it's fantastic. Attachment 960597
  • 02-01-2015
    Berkeley Mike
    Interesting conundrum: "do gooders" are the trail workers.

Get involved. Show up. Earn your say.
  • 02-01-2015
    hoolie
    I only do trail work on Tamarancho, and one private land trail, at this point. I do need to sack up at JMP though, and help in my own backyard. Napa is out of my hands, and it was not a rant, as much as a notice to people that live there, so they don't get disappointed in the future. Thanks for your work MIKE.
  • 02-01-2015
    Berkeley Mike
    I hear you. When I ride at Skyline I'm just glad it exists at all. Those trail guys do what they do and I have nothing to say about it unless I go there to be a part of the work. Even then, what do I know?
  • 02-01-2015
    dirtvert
    I wish Stanley Roberts would take up mountain biking and take his "People Behaving Badly" shtick to the trails. Way too many do stupid things out there... This guy gets it- The Web Monkey Speaks

Sidebar: Is it just me or does Stanley hate on cyclists an inordinate amount of time?!

Btw, hoolie, get ready to be attacked and ridiculed for questioning any trail work done at Tamo. How dare you! We're not buying yearly passes this year to "voice" our displeasure. Take that do-gooders.
  • 02-01-2015
    hoolie
    Cool article. The web monkey gets the point across.
  • 02-01-2015
    ryanxj
    :skep:
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Berkeley Mike View Post
    Interesting conundrum: "do gooders" are the trail workers.

Get involved. Show up. Earn your say.

Ah, the ol' 'ya cant complain ifya didnt show up to the polls and vote...'

Im not familiar with aforementioned rocks/sections, but trail 'workers' removing imbedded rocks for the sake of downgrading a technical section is rarely received well
  • 02-01-2015
    Spindelatron
    So you rode Tamarancho when it was first built?
  • 02-01-2015
    ryanxj
    Quote:

Originally Posted by dirtvert View Post
    This guy gets it- The Web Monkey Speaks

Good read; better point
  • 02-01-2015
    hoolie
    :).
  • 02-01-2015
    hoolie
    What's a fred?
  • 02-01-2015
    Spindelatron
    Quote:

Originally Posted by hoolie View Post
    Tamarancho (Boy Scout Camp), since about 1995, China Camp since 1981, Mt Tam since 1975. Take it or leave it, no, I don't think I invented Tamarancho, but I was shredding my Big Wheel since 1972, and shaving...

Wow, so have the trails changed much with 20years of winter storms and constant use?
  • 02-01-2015
    hoolie
  • 02-01-2015
    hoolie
  • 02-01-2015
    Berkeley Mike
    Quote:

Originally Posted by ryanxj View Post

Ah, the ol' 'ya cant complain ifya didnt show up to the polls and vote...'

Not quite my point. It is not a simple matter of showing up when the tools come out. The more pertinent work is done at tables and creating the politics to express a kind of vision.

That said, both in the case of Skyline and Tamarancho, usage populations and administrative pressures can push things in a way we don't like. So in a sense the guys with the tools have their hands tied and we shoot the messenger, so-to-speak, decrying their efforts.

So I get the rant and see the limitations. In the end, as I said, I'm just glad to have these places.
  • 02-01-2015
    Berkeley Mike
    H
    Quote:

Originally Posted by VirulentSafetyPanda View Post
    Apparently you know nothing.

Skyline has been grievously sanitized over the years by "do gooder" MTB freds who couldn't imagine how to ride sections as well as hired help that were tasked with dumbing down the trails so that the equestrian contingent (supported by the predominantly equestrian board) would be more comfortable in the "wilderness."

Pete? Is that you? Welcome back.
  • 02-02-2015
    Spindelatron
    How many IPAs is too many IPAs to post to mtbr?

Hoolie: "Trail work at tamarancho simultaneously ruining the trail and fixing it at the same time."

How's the hangover?
  • 02-02-2015
    Berkeley Mike
    Pete has contributed in the past describing the gradual refinement/homoginization/dumbing-down at Skyline as he has a very long history with the park. I think it fair to appreciate that everyone has a style of riding and looks forward to different features.

How the trail stewards are supposed to understand that and express it in their work is beyond me. At the same time to expect that trails be managed with my own desires in mind, no matter how you want to define them, describe them as a standard, or justify them, just doesn't work.
  • 02-03-2015
    hoolie
    Spindelatron, you mis quoted me above. Can you delete that? Or at least use what I actually said? Let's keep it real.