My new SS ride report & pics! (Lots o' pics, 56k beware!)- Mtbr.com
    Silence! I kill you!

Good job! My new SS ride report & pics! (Lots o' pics, 56k beware!)

Well, instead of slacking off of riding today and hanging out on MTBR (Which is still a great place online to chill, I went over to my buddy's house and put some new parts on the SS that I won in the photo competion. I've got a couple of Francois's pictures to show a before/after parts swapping. Here are the shots from Francois:

So far, I have added some Shimano SPD pedals, Avid mech disk brakes, and a riser stem. I may be swapping out the front forks for a '01 RS Psylo that was recently rebuilt, then the bike it is currently on broke, so its just sitting there with a Chris King headset that may go on this bike as well. Here are some shots of how it is now. I plan on getting much better shots in the near future:

The current bike

RS J3 shocks and Avid 160mm front disk brakes

Truvativ handlebars, Ciclotour computer mount, & headtube badge

Avid 160mm rear disk brakes, GT SS hub, 16t cog & chain

Closeup of rear 16t cog

Rear Avid Mechs

GT Headtube badge

RS J3 forks & Avid mechs

Rear triangle and all the goodies that attatch to it

RIDE REPORT:

Well, since the wife really wanted to go riding, and she doesn't feel confident on dirt yet, we hit the bike path for the first ride of the SS. I used a 32x16 gear combo since it is a really flat path (Coyote Creek Path).

We started off at the Blossom Hill entrance and made our way south towards Morgan Hill

On the way down I knew of a short dirt fireroad, that has a pretty sweet jump at the end of it.

Sorry for the blurry pics, but my wife's point & shoot cam doesn't do well with sports

We got to Metcalf road, and me bike was begging for a shot of just it and the scenery. So far she rides like a dream. Very responsive to hard pedaling, and seems to just float on air. The front shocks did much better than I thought they would, but we'll see what happens when I take the bike to ST Park in the next few days and it gets its real first taste of mountain biking.

Soon after the scenic shot we crossed the "normally is a small creek, now its a small river" riding over the bridge

Then, our plans were thwarted by the river running through the path- about 30 feet across. So we decided not to cross it and started to head back.

So for the first ride stats, it performed perfectly on 10.5 miles, I was able to average about 10mph, and even hit 16 while going down a hill.

This will definatly be the first of many, many rides on my new toy
    My photography website:
    Scott Mosher Photography

mtbr member
    Congrats on the new ride! What's better than a first ride on a new bike? A first ride on a new bike you won for free!

Coincidentally, yesterday was my first ride on a newly built up singlespeed (I also posted a ride report / photos at just about the same time you did). We'll have to hook up for a Norcal newbie SS rally some time. I'm going to check out China Camp now that it's dry again and some of the trail repairs (such as the new bridge) are finished. It's probably one of the more singlespeed-friendly trail systems around here.

E !
    We got to Metcalf road, and me bike was begging for a shot of just it and the scenery. So far she rides like a dream. Very responsive to hard pedaling, and seems to just float on air. The front shocks did much better than I thought they would, but we'll see what happens when I take the bike to ST Park in the next few days and it gets its real first taste of mountain biking.

Cool stuff!
    Floats on air eh? I want one.

Obi
    -_-
    Oct 2005

... and if we just ... Great to hear you won...

Although I'm jealous. I so didn't take the time to get any real pics done. Congrats and enjoy the bike!!

Obi..

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by 8Trak
    Congrats on the new ride! What's better than a first ride on a new bike? A first ride on a new bike you won for free!

Coincidentally, yesterday was my first ride on a newly built up singlespeed (I also posted a ride report / photos at just about the same time you did). We'll have to hook up for a Norcal newbie SS rally some time. I'm going to check out China Camp now that it's dry again and some of the trail repairs (such as the new bridge) are finished. It's probably one of the more singlespeed-friendly trail systems around here.
    I would be in for a Norcal newbie ride. I have ridden mine twice so far, once at Mt. Diablo and the other at Black Diamond Mines. Something a little more SS friendly would be good.

Paper or plastic?
    Quote Originally Posted by EBrider
    I would be in for a Norcal newbie ride. I have ridden mine twice so far, once at Mt. Diablo and the other at Black Diamond Mines. Something a little more SS friendly would be good.
    We could always plan a short loop (15 miles) around lake Chabot. It's 1500' and doable, although I'll admit I still have to walk quite a bit in 32x16, but I should be able to ride a bit more in 32x18.
    Faster is not always better, but it's always more fun

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by zorg
    We could always plan a short loop (15 miles) around lake Chabot. It's 1500' and doable, although I'll admit I still have to walk quite a bit in 32x16, but I should be able to ride a bit more in 32x18.
    Zorg, you too?

I was thinking about Chabot for a good SS ride. Doesn't seem like too many sustained climbs, mostly rolling hills. I could go for either, but I suppose Chabot is more central for riders in the South. I am free most evenings this week, or can get a pass for Saturday.

Mine came with a 32x16 and I just bought an 18 tooth cog. I'll probably use the 16 for Chabot or CC, and try the 18 for hillier rides.

Paper or plastic?
    Quote Originally Posted by EBrider
    Zorg, you too?

I was thinking about Chabot for a good SS ride. Doesn't seem like too many sustained climbs, mostly rolling hills. I could go for either, but I suppose Chabot is more central for riders in the South. I am free most evenings this week, or can get a pass for Saturday.

Mine came with a 32x16 and I just bought an 18 tooth cog. I'll probably use the 16 for Chabot or CC, and try the 18 for hillier rides.
    Yes, I got meself a Soma 4one5 last year. I use mainly for my morning rides to Coyote Hills. http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.ph...highlight=soma for the piccies.

I don't have the legs for Chabot in 32x16, and I can't do it this week. Anyway, dad's arriving Friday, and we'll try to finish the house construction over the next 2 weeks. I'll try to join the SS fun sometimes in May after the 24hoa.

mtbr member
    I'll try to join the SS fun sometimes in May during the 24hoa.

pretty gutsy! I'll do it if you do.

JM- next time, turn left up metcalf to give the heart rate a workout

Paper or plastic?
    Quote Originally Posted by grrrah

pretty gutsy! I'll do it if you do.

JM- next time, turn left up metcalf to give the heart rate a workout
    Ahah. I don't think so. The Grind is a pretty long walk...

Silence! I kill you!
    Well I've ridden Coe alot, so I'm used to heart pumping walks Where is Lake Chabot by chance? Sounds like a good place for a SS ride
    My photography website:
    Scott Mosher Photography

Paper or plastic?
    Quote Originally Posted by jorgemonkey
    Well I've ridden Coe alot, so I'm used to heart pumping walks Where is Lake Chabot by chance? Sounds like a good place for a SS ride
    It's off of 580 between Castro Valley, San Leandro and Oakland. Coming from SJ, you could go either 680 north, then 580 west, or 880 north, 238 east, 580 west. For the details, www.ebparks.org for the map. It's all fireroad, but grades are fairly mild if you know your way around.

mtbr member
    It's off of 580 between Castro Valley, San Leandro and Oakland. Coming from SJ, you could go either 680 north, then 580 west, or 880 north, 238 east, 580 west. For the details, www.ebparks.org for the map. It's all fireroad, but grades are fairly mild if you know your way around.
    Can anyone ride there tomorrow evening?

I have to work in oakland, and am looking for something to break my commute home to SJ.
    chabot? mission peak? walking miller?

Paper or plastic?
    Quote Originally Posted by grrrah
    Can anyone ride there tomorrow evening?

I have to work in oakland, and am looking for something to break my commute home to SJ.
    chabot? mission peak? walking miller?
    I work in SJ, and live in Fremont, so I clearly can't help there. However, back when I was working in the east bay, Chabot was my goto park for a good after work workout. If you park at the Ranger station around 6pm, you will more than likely find somebody to ride with.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Sweet ride!

Congrats!

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    That is a sweet looking frame, looks old school

Hardtail Warrior
    You guys are crazy. Me and my brother just did the lake chabot loop yesterday with full 24 speeds and we were dying by the end of it. We also took a few wrong turns so instead of being 13 miles im pretty sure it was about 20. Also we accidentally took Brandon Trail I think it was and there was this huge downhill spot where we were probably going 25+ and there was a large section taken out of the trail near the bottom and needless to say I didnt have the balls to jump it so we both bit it.

I couldnt imagine doing that SS. It took us most of the day and it was only supossed to be a 2-3 hour ride according to the signs. We're both pretty much MTB noobies though so maybe we were just going to slow or something I dont know what happened. Im sure we're going to do it again soon but this time were going to try and stay on the bike loop. Its a little confusing because at some forks there are no signs so we were just guessing where to go.

Members who have read this thread: 0