My Favorite Summer MidPen Tire- Mtbr.com
    Moderator Moderator

My Favorite Summer MidPen Tire

I've been looking for a better all around climber and general performer for summer MidPen, and particularly my Skeggs lunch rides. I found one I really like, so far.

Continental Cross King 2.3 Black Chili (The 2019 version, there are many confusing iterations of this tire including the X-King, which this is not).

I have these on the front and rear of my Yeti SB130 with SC Carbon 30s. These tires roll extremely fast and have surprising braking grip even on steepish loose stuff. The sidewalls are very stiff, which I like, but make them pretty unforgiving. The Black Chili compound feels much harder than typical XC/Trail tires. They have a pretty good drift before hooking up in the turns, but I like this. These tire are NOT mistake erasers, like big enduro/DH tires.

I need to run them at Demo/Nisene/SC, but I wouldn't see any issue, given one is not afraid of speed, committed to their line and not too concerned with controlled braking.

For wet, these will probably suck. We'll see. I have about 75 single track miles on them so far. I'm running 28 psi rear/26 psi front.

Paper or plastic?
    Slick tire to put on your road bike and avoid midpen ranger militia?

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk
    Faster is not always better, but it's always more fun

mtbr member
    I used to love to run this tire for dry XC riding and it was indeed extremely light and fast rolling and a great all-around tire in terms of performance, especially if you don't mind a nice drifty tire that will still brake.

However, I found durability to be a big issue as it seems like I would get flats from punctures or tears pretty often, so I eventually ditched them. This was not '19 version so they may have fixed this, so let us know if you have any problems with the newest version - and as you mentioned, once it gets a bit wet you will get almost zero grip.

Moderator Moderator
    Update: rode these at Wilder today. They sucked on the faster loose bumpy stuff on the DH from the benches back to HWY 1. I guess this is not surprising, they are basically XC race tires. These are ok for Skeggs and tooling around MidPen, as they do climb well and roll very fast. But anything that gets you over 20mph and is dusty/hard/loose, and you can bust your ass with these tires; too stiff and too unforgiving for my tastes. Back to my DHR2 mistake eraser on the front, but will leave the Conti on the rear until I wear it out.

Caca pasa
    You can get a 10-pack of mid-pens at the dollar store. Not that thin-line shit, this is the real mid-line dealio. Phat lines good. Phuck that thin, anorexic BS. Phat is where it is. At.

BIC makes good ones. Remember when BIC was the shizznit to have in high school? Blue, or black? Blue. No, black. Some guy had a red one. He was crowned Homecoming King, all because he had a freakin' red BIC. BIC made turntables, too! Remember those?

Here are some fat lines, if you're into that kind of thing. I gotta go back to work- split shifts suck.

Name:  hqdefault.jpg
Views: 74
Size:  34.0 KB
    "합니다 행사에서 디비 판매 합니다 관련해" Lesleybien

Hogan Lake blog. A section of Hogan Lake trails here.

Moderator Moderator
    Finch, you should quit that job.

M8 M12 M15 deez nuts
    I have been getting this same exact error message for the past three years:

vBulletin Message
    You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to Finch Platte again.
    Donít frail and blow if youíre going to Braille and Flow.

mtbr member
    I tried out a cross king on the front. Not my cup of tea. Iíll give you that it rolls well, and braking traction was not terrible. But the cornering grip was tenuous, and wanted to wash out unpredictably. And high speed straight lines felt pretty squirrely.

Has anyone tried a minion SS? Seems like that might be the ticket for a tire that rolls fast on longish pavement to/from the trailhead, but still has good cornering traction.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

fc
    head minion Administrator
    So i rode this at Saratoga Gap the other day and what i thought was too much tire was perfect. Because it was dusty, off camber and lot so gravel. Very cool. Minion/minion combo. It was slow but plenty fast for the crew.

Bike was good too. Supple but plenty playful for the sanitized radness.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails My Favorite Summer MidPen Tire-img_0362.jpg  

IPA will save America

Moderator Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Sid Duffman View Post
    I tried out a cross king on the front. Not my cup of tea. Iíll give you that it rolls well, and braking traction was not terrible. But the cornering grip was tenuous, and wanted to wash out unpredictably. And high speed straight lines felt pretty squirrely.

Has anyone tried a minion SS? Seems like that might be the ticket for a tire that rolls fast on longish pavement to/from the trailhead, but still has good cornering traction.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I switched back to the DHR2 on front and I'm surprised at house much more forgiving it is. I think riding those stiff XC tires on the front for the past month definitely made me more aware of precision. The DHR2 is a true mistake eraser on the front, you can get away with terrible lines. I'm liking the CrossKing on the rear however. I slips and drifts nicely.

mtbr member
    I am running i35 rims and have always run a DHF 2.6 /DHR 2.6 or DHF 2.6 / Aggressor 2.5 combo. I decided to try out a less aggressive, faster rolling combo: 2.6 Forekaster / 2.4WT Rekon. Only one Waterdog ride so far, but holy cow what a difference! Definitely give up some cornering traction, and a lot of braking traction, but they roll and accelerate so much faster it's a game changer. I found myself able to pump a lot more little rollers and trail features because I was carrying significantly more speed, and also found myself in lower gears on the same climbs. The difference in sensitivity is significant, you can really feel the trail more (at the expense of damping trail chatter), kind of like going to lambskin from latex. I figured they would accelerate faster when pedaling, which was the case, but what really surprised me is how much faster they accelerate coasting/going downhill. The steering has really sharpened up as well, much quicker handling.