Mtn. Biking Vacay- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Mtn. Biking Vacay

Yesterday my hub asked me if I want to take a trip anywhere this year where would I want to go, so after about 10 minutes of thought I have now convinced him that we need to take a vacay to Colorado or Utah for an exploratory trip of biking trails and he is in!!! Looking at driving out there so this will be a week or more trip.

I'm looking at some of the big ski resorts so we can scam it for winter fun too (as far as ammenities), may do another trip for snowboarding come wintertime. Looking at resorts for accomodations, local hotels, restaurants and the fun bar scenery too. .

Any suggestions would be mucho appreciated, especially trail knowledge. Don't know how insane trails are elsewhere. Both of us can ride Skeggs, Skyline stuff and I like some of those secret SCruz trails, I'm slower but game for stuff like that. He likes to do climbs too, uggghh.

Currently googling but word of mouth suits me better for a start. Thanks so much!
    A is for Amy who fell down the stairs.
    B is for Basil assaulted by bears.

fc
    head minion Administrator
    One word... parkcityutah!

That place is pretty amazing. It's 5-star but cheap in the summer. The biking has endless singletrack and there's some bike lifts too.

They have trails that look like this:
    http://reviews.mtbr.com/blog/2010-ga...-29er-preview/

And then they have the Wasatch Crest Trail.

fc

mtbr member
    Cool, I was just starting to look at photos of that.

Moab looks really cool too but that will have to be it's own trip I think. Looks isolated.

Keep it coming peeps!

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    Sun Valley.

Hundreds of miles of singletrack, many accessible from town. Not too technical, but fun nonetheless. Great restaurants. Great weather, especially in July and August. Plenty of bars, but I'm sure what the scene is like. Skiing and boarding in winter. You can drive here in a day from the Bay Area, 11-12 hour drive.

Old man on a bike
    Moab's just a few hours from Fruita/Grand Junction so a trip there doesn't just have to be just Moab at all, but prefer spring or fall over summer. Just bring your own beer to Utah...

I've been driving out to Colorado in July for the last several years, starting out with a July 4 Crested Butte gathering of mountain biking friends; this is generally the time the higher trails open up and and the wildflowers are in bloom. I then move on to various other places like Salida (Monarch Crest and other goodies, including river recreation on the Arkansas), Durango, Keystone, Vail and Winter Park. Can't go wrong with much of the riding there, the Colorado Trail is especially very nice, and the weather is generally wonderful that time of year above 9000 ft.

The Park City and Sun Valley areas I enjoyed a lot, too.

However, my favorite destination lately has been Oregon, especially in August/September...Oakridge area is my favorite, but the riding on the McKenzie River Trail is fun, as is the riding around Bend, and the North Umpqua Trail. Not big drives between them and plenty of water recreation and good camping, too.
    "...the people get the government they deserve..."
    suum quique

Slowest Rider
    Two years ago, many of us from MTBR did a wonderful week long trip to Moab, Utah. Then Fruita, CO. We also Gooseberry, NV on the way back. What a wonderful trip!

Search Norcal for Moab two years ago and you should find the thread and more info.

I can provide GPS tracks of all the wonderful trails that we researched and rode, if desired. I'm a slower rider and can't do drops, but I had no problem with these rides. (For reference, I ride Demo with no problem.) However, note that for some advanced Moab/Fruita trails you'll need to be able to huck >4' drops to properly ride.

My web site has unedited pictures. Click the icons for the above mentioned locations. To navigate, don't use your browser back button. Use the upper left arrow.

Although Moab/Fruita must be ridden at some point in one's life, like Bikingfoolforlife, I prefer Oregon, especially Mountain Bike Oregon. Better flow, more woodsy. Nice shuttle rides.... (Pics for Oregon also on my web site.)
    It's not slow, it's doing more MTB time.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bikinfoolferlife

However, my favorite destination lately has been Oregon, especially in August/September...Oakridge area is my favorite, but the riding on the McKenzie River Trail is fun, as is the riding around Bend, and the North Umpqua Trail. Not big drives between them and plenty of water recreation and good camping, too.
    ditto! I just did 8 days with 2 in ashland and the rest in Bend. There are SO many trails in Bend, and the progression in parks like the lair is immediate. I had a blast!

mtbr member
    Wow! Lots of great info. I didn't even consider Idaho or Oregon, etc... Hubby likes the Utah Park City and Sun Valley ideas, we need to think about all those driving hours. Will mention the rest to him soon. Looks like enough trip info here for several or more years. No sure about the 4' drops, need to learn that, haha.

Thanks so much everybody!

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    If you are going during the summer, CO is the place to be. Riding Breckenridge, Crested Butte, Aspen, or any other mountain town will provide plenty of options, great scenery, nightlife, camping or lodging, and temps won't get above 80. If you are taking 80, Park City is on the way (never ridden there). You could also try to squeeze in an early morning ride in Fruita or Moab, though I wouldn't attempt riding there mid-day.

Over the Hill
    Having done numerous MTBing roadtrips, many places have their own special appeal. I like the desert in the winter but Colorado is the pinnacle of MTBing. I am also a big fan of Tahoe, Flagstaff and Sedona.

Dean

aka baycat
    Moab Fruita St. George and Vegas!

Dirtmistress
    Oregon! Alpine trail in Oakridge. This town is loaded with trails!
    MacKenzie River trail.
    Umpqua Trail.
    Bend!
    Ashland!
    No altitude to get used to.
    On that note, Colorado does rock and I hope to hit Crested Butte this summer!
    WWXD.
    What would Xena do?
    She used to clean the whole trail.

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    Some of my favorite places are Durango, Crested Butte, and Sun Valley (and north of Sun Valley in the Sawtooth Valley). Western Montana is pretty awesome as well. The better trails are of a more remote and exploratory nature, however.

mtbr member
    Cool, I've got a list going now. Time to research and figure out what we want to do this year. Thanks for all the great suggestions, and will be back to check out more of the pix Big Larry.

Anyone else with something not in here? Just post.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by kittytrax

Anyone else with something not in here? Just post.
    Whistler, or just point to somewhere in B.C. on the map and go there.

Old man on a bike
    Quote Originally Posted by Carl Hungus
    Whistler, or just point to somewhere in B.C. on the map and go there.
    That was my thought as well, but now you're getting into some serious drive time and you may never want to come back....make sure you're eligible to cross the border, too.
    suum quique

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bikinfoolferlife
    That was my thought as well, but now you're getting into some serious drive time and you may never want to come back....make sure you're eligible to cross the border, too.
    I did a directions check on googlemaps...

18:55 from Santa Cruz to Whistler.
    19:42 from Santa Cruz to Crested Butte.

Surprised me too.

Old man on a bike

Surprised me too.
    Yeah, but then you'll want to keep going...the time I went to Whistler I also went thru many other places in BC, I went as far as Banff before turning around....just gorgeous up there. Add some time for the border crossing, though, and like I said, make sure you can get in, would suck to wait at the border only to find out they're turning you back.
    suum quique

aka baycat

Surprised me too.
    Not a bad drive when you make stops in Ashland, Eugene, and Colonadde. Just add a few days buffer

401 trail in Crested Butte is incredible.

Members who have read this thread: 0