Mtb Oregon Trip? NOT Spam!- Mtbr.com
    NedwannaB

Mtb Oregon Trip? NOT Spam!

Anyone else heading up there this August?

Ebo
    mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    Yes....We have a pretty big group going. Should be a blast. Plus we will probably ride Mc Kensie RIver before leaving town on Monday or Tuesday. Just how much FREE Fat Tire Ale can one drink?

NedwannaB

1st timer?..........

Quote Originally Posted by Ebo
    Yes....We have a pretty big group going. Should be a blast. Plus we will probably ride Mc Kensie RIver before leaving town on Monday or Tuesday. Just how much FREE Fat Tire Ale can one drink?
    ......repeater?
    We were thinking of doing the extra shuttle on Sat. aswell. Any comments?

Ebo
    mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    All first timers. The Middle Fork shuttle on Saturday is a must. Probably hit the Alpine trail on Friday. Lot's of options for sure.

Maybe I should get a job at a shop that gives the old timers time off to go RIDE THEIR BIKES! Sorry for yelling, I just hate that I miss out on so many good ride/ road trips becuase of the "busy season".

Labor of love my

Oh wait! I think my sister is getting married in Oregon in August... yeah, that's it!

OOOOOOOh Gee Are Eee

Yup

Quote Originally Posted by JMac47
    Wife and I have tickets already. I'm pretty jazzed about it. We're trying to figure out a way to do McKenzie River trail as well.

We're trying to fly in this year, the airport at Oakridge is supposed to be Ok but the two near the McKensie river trail are gravel and turf and I've only landed on asphalt runways

-- Dennis

Old man on a bike
    After attending the whole enchilada at last year's MtBikeOregon I returned to Oakridge 3 more times before snow got in the way. The riding there is really some of the best I've had anywhere. Middle Fork of the Willamette is pretty much my ATF trail at this point, Alpine not far behind. I'll probably head up there for a looksee a couple times before returning for the festival again this year. While the McKenzie is scenic and all, if you have extra time check out the North Umpqua system to the south instead, better stuff there IMHO. Or spend more time checking out stuff in the Oakridge/Westfir area. Cya there! .
    "...the people get the government they deserve..."
    suum quique

NedwannaB

Hey Dennis

Quote Originally Posted by 0gre
    We're trying to fly in this year, the airport at Oakridge is supposed to be Ok but the two near the McKensie river trail are gravel and turf and I've only landed on asphalt runways

-- Dennis
    Get that plane's landing gear PUSHED and you shouldn't have any problems with the gravel landings......right? Will look you guys up when we're there. I am designated tour director for about 5-6 people so far. Free fare for me!

I might see you up in Auburn this w/end if I can swing it. I think the last time other then last years (March 12) big Auburn ride, was at Briones when Senior Dan'ger took his big tumble......which I followed suit two weeks later. :mad2:

fc
    head minion Administrator
    I wanna go! That banner is working on me. Something about it....

I wanna hear more about it.

Let's CONVOY!

francois

Feeling a little taller
    Quote Originally Posted by francois
    I wanna go! That banner is working on me. Something about it....

I wanna hear more about it.

Let's CONVOY!

francois
    You built in some subliminals, didn't you...
    There are no stupid questions but there are A LOT of inquisitive idiots.

Bicycle Trails Council of the East Bay

fresh fish in stock...... SuperModerator
    I'm goin'....still trying to decide if it's the 3 day or 5 day package...hmmm..prolly the 5 day
    Click Here for Forum Rules

Yappy little dog!
    I'll be there and doing MRT on the Thursday before. Hopefully it will be driving from SF and not flying from Philadelphia (Frequest Flyer tickets already booked).

If I am calling SF home at the time, I'll have room for one more in my truck.

Quote Originally Posted by schnauzers
    I'll be there and doing MRT on the Thursday before. Hopefully it will be driving from SF and not flying from Philadelphia (Frequest Flyer tickets already booked).

If I am calling SF home at the time, I'll have room for one more in my truck.
    Hmmm. Are you thinking 3days or 5 days.
    I am scheming.... how to get some days off in August???
    Pencil me in as a possible passenger.

2012 Race: April 28th!

I'm going for sure!

I'm planning to arrive Monday nite 8/14 and stay until Sunday. That's six days of riding in a row...my smile muscles will be completely exhausted! Must ride trails are Middle Fork of Willamette (my ATF also), Alpine and Waldo Lake. We'll be at the Oakridge Motel. Treadmaps has a cool 3D map that shows the rides up there. I went back in September for more because it was so good. I think the riding is comparable to Downieville, but has more shade, less dust, bigger trees, more soil (less sheer rock) on the trails, and great scenery. I also saw a big herd of elk which was pretty cool. The pic attached is from the Sept trip and was taken on the dry (East) side of the Cascades where the trees are smaller.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    www.shastalemurian.com!!

Yappy little dog!
    Quote Originally Posted by velocipus
    Hmmm. Are you thinking 3days or 5 days.
    I am scheming.... how to get some days off in August???
    Pencil me in as a possible passenger.
    I'm meeting some SoCal friends up there on Wed night and riding MRT Thursday. Then off to the weekend party coming home on Sunday.

If all goes well and I don't screw up the job opportunity, you are officially penciled in.

I am sure we'll have a chance to meet get some local rides in before that.

smw
    pedal pusher
    That trail in the picture looks so inviting.

Sean
    Gears and suspension are for girls and old men. Feel free to quote me in your signature. - Fast Eddy

Nature Rider, Not MTBer
    I hate you all. I can't go. It falls smack dab in the middle of my two months of work hell this year. :mad2:

I'll be surprised if I'm even able to sneak off for a two-hour ride once a week during that period. Waaaaaaah!

(That enough of the new smilies?)
    This is no time for levity. - Oliver Hardy

mtbr member

Yo!

Quote Originally Posted by 0gre
    Wife and I have tickets already. I'm pretty jazzed about it. We're trying to figure out a way to do McKenzie River trail as well.

-- Dennis
    Jilm and I are going....planning on heading up to McKenzie River on the Monday after the event.
    :p

I left my camera at home in August for MBO , but here a couple more from the Sept trip.
    1. One of the crystal clear lakes of the dozens we encountered on the Windy Lakes ride
    2. A very, very dark and cool spot covered in moss we found on the Middle Fork ride.
    www.shastalemurian.com!!

OOOOOOOh Gee Are Eee

Maybe we can hitch a ride.

Quote Originally Posted by bigboulder
    Jilm and I are going....planning on heading up to McKenzie River on the Monday after the event.
    I'm taking some lessons over the summer so hopefully I'll be confident enough to land at the runway that is at the downhill end of the trail. If not maybe we can hitch a ride.

mtbr member
    I'm in... still need to figure out carpooling plans and bonus side trips (MRT, Shasta, etc.).

I'm meeting some SoCal friends up there on Wed night and riding MRT Thursday. Then off to the weekend party coming home on Sunday.

If all goes well and I don't screw up the job opportunity, you are officially penciled in.

I am sure we'll have a chance to meet get some local rides in before that.
    Yes, I hope it all works out
    (good luck with the job oppurtunity btw)

Quote Originally Posted by 8Trak
    I'm in... still need to figure out carpooling plans and bonus side trips (MRT, Shasta, etc.).
    I'm up for carpooling and side trips - keep me in mind

No Justice = No Peace

Add 2

My girlfriend and I are coming up for the event with a day or two at either end. Trying to ride with friends in Shasta on the way up, and see others in Portland and Hood River on the way back. (we are taking the long way back)
    "Welcome to my underground lair...."

Coors, the american beer.
    put up some dates asap im down ... driving for sure
    AZ has the best mountain bike gathering ever

NedwannaB

Why don't you......

Quote Originally Posted by Melt
    put up some dates asap im down ... driving for sure
    .....hit the top banner then! Has all the paticulars on their site!

OOOOOOOh Gee Are Eee

Dayum!

Quote Originally Posted by CHUM
    I'm up for carpooling and side trips - keep me in mind
    Sounds like NorCal is going to serious represent this time around! Whoever shows up first should try and rope off some campsites so we can all hang together!!

mtbr member
    I have no idea what you guys are talking about, but I'm SOLD!!!

Someone wanna hook me up w/ a link?

Pretty please???
    I knew I did not want to end up in a dark wooden box in the cold ground. If nothing else, at least I wanted to be buzzard shat on a rock in the sun.
    - slocaus

Quote Originally Posted by rideslikeagirl
    I have no idea what you guys are talking about, but I'm SOLD!!!

Someone wanna hook me up w/ a link?

Pretty please???
    click the banner at the top of da page

29 inches and Pissed Off!
    I want to go too. I need to start coniving. I'm gone in July to Kaua'i for the 50th. I'm not sure I can swing the time off.

Dan C.
    CaptainKana.com
    Mountain Biking.....Cheaper than a mistress.

aka baycat
    Geat Marketing...

'Free Beer' (think it now says Free Dvd)

**** that sold me in no time!

Caca pasa

Holy crap!

Anyone else concerned about the number of people going? I mean, there was a buttload of folks signed up to go before they put up the banner...

Sounds like it's gonna be one of those clusterfocks like we had in Arizona where there were hundreds of riders on the trail. The third guy couldn't ride a section, and the whole group backed up behind him. Awful. And free beer??? Even worse!!!

fp
    tRump is SCUM.

Hogan Lake blog. A section of Hogan Lake trails here.

NedwannaB

Hey fp

Quote Originally Posted by Finch Platte
    Anyone else concerned about the number of people going? I mean, there was a buttload of folks signed up to go before they put up the banner...

Sounds like it's gonna be one of those clusterfocks like we had in Arizona where there were hundreds of riders on the trail. The third guy couldn't ride a section, and the whole group backed up behind him. Awful. And free beer??? Even worse!!!

fp
    Last email I got from Randy a couple days ago it was about 75 count. Hopefully we will be scaring the locals away and have the trails all to ourselves. Besides, after the free beer starts to flow on Friday night, the trail use should be light in the morning for the most part anyway.....

NedwannaB

Lets see........

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Kana
    I want to go too. I need to start coniving. I'm gone in July to Kaua'i for the 50th. I'm not sure I can swing the time off.

Dan C.
    .....Kuai in July will be your winter vacation, August in Oregon will be your summer one. Shouldn't take too much coniving since you are splitting it up between the seasons, right? I don't see a problem at all.

NedwannaB

Same idea here.

I'll be there and doing MRT on the Thursday before. Hopefully it will be driving from SF
    Trying to convince my crew for either Thurs or the Mon after. Seems BB, Jilm & a few others are planning the latter. A 10 hr. drive Wed night might make for slooow riding on Thurs though.

29 inches and Pissed Off!
    .....Kuai in July will be your winter vacation, August in Oregon will be your summer one. Shouldn't take too much coniving since you are splitting it up between the seasons, right? I don't see a problem at all.
    Jeff,
    I like your reasoning. I hope others do.

Dan C.
    CaptainKana.com
    Mountain Biking.....Cheaper than a mistress.

Caca pasa

Riiiiiight.

...after the free beer starts to flow on Friday night, the trail use should be light in the morning for the most part anyway.....
    I have never been to a gathering where, shall we say, overindulgence causes people to cancel a ride.

Except for one instance involving a certain JOHNNY FREERIDE, but I won't mention that.

fp
    tRump is SCUM.

NedwannaB

Go ahead!

I have never been to a gathering where, shall we say, overindulgence causes people to cancel a ride.

Except for one instance involving a certain JOHNNY FREERIDE, but I won't mention that.

fp
    Don't be bashfull, tell all! I don't think anyone in this group knows this JOHNNY FREERIDE anyway..

You hitting Auburn this w/end??

NedwannaB

Yeah, but....

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Kana
    Jeff,
    I like your reasoning. I hope others do.

Dan C.
    ...after I posted I started to question weather it was the Mrs, or the Employer that would veto your plans. I knew it wasn't a Mistress cause you do have all those fancy purple accented bikes and all to keep you from something like that!

Caca pasa

Well, here's your chance.

Don't be bashfull, tell all! I don't think anyone in this group knows this JOHNNY FREERIDE anyway..

You hitting Auburn this w/end??
    John & I will be up Sat. nite to party & ride Sunday.

You'll be able to get the straight poop from the horse's mouth all night long.

fp
    tRump is SCUM.

Trail Goddess

... and if we just ... See ya there!!

So what's the MTBR headcount? If my tally is anywhere close I'm counting 15. Does this sound right?

Fiona
    Come to the Dark Side, we have cookies!!

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    Hey,

We are going too. My son and I. Bought the whole pack of maps from Treadmaps. Paid for the 3 day trip. Looks like fun. May go up there a few times too.

Also I see Lemurian Guy. I had a fun time on the 26 miler last weekend at the Lemurian. Fun stuff.

doug

Old man on a bike
    Even though I've been there several times, don't have photos to show for it. I did find these, a few from Waldo Lake, the other's a pic of the Oakridge airport I took since there seems to be some interest here (took it to show my brother, who also flies). If you haven't asked for a dvd, do so, give you a nice idea of some of the riding there (and I'm in it, woohoo).
    suum quique

NedwannaB

Sunday?

John & I will be up Sat. nite to party & ride Sunday.

You'll be able to get the straight poop from the horse's mouth all night long.

fp
    I take it the planned ride is Sat, diehards to continue Sunday?? I'll have to go check bb's thread to remember.

Ebo
    mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    Nice pic's and thanks for the tip on the N Umpqua trail system. I'll have to give it some serious thought. I've done the MRT before and have comitted to it again since I need to drop off my riding bud close by where he will attend a family reunion. See you there. Cheers.

OOOOOOOh Gee Are Eee

Sweet

Quote Originally Posted by Bikinfoolferlife
    Even though I've been there several times, don't have photos to show for it. I did find these, a few from Waldo Lake, the other's a pic of the Oakridge airport I took since there seems to be some interest here (took it to show my brother, who also flies). If you haven't asked for a dvd, do so, give you a nice idea of some of the riding there (and I'm in it, woohoo).
    Nice, thanks for the pic of the runway. See you in August!
    Last edited by Ogre; 05-05-2006 at 11:26 PM.

Old man on a bike
    And good luck on the flying lessons...if you get hooked like my brother you're in trouble, tho. You thought bikes were bad...

Hey everyone who's on the fence about going up to MtBikeOregon, remember fees go up for registrations after June 1. Order the DVD and get a taste. You won't be sorry if you set aside some time for this trip!
    suum quique

mtbr member
    May 2005

Mt Bike Oregon Update from promoter

Hi All

Randy from MBO here

Glad to see so many of you are coming

Please feel free to contact me with any questions

I read the one thread about it being a clusterFlock...not to worry...there are over 30 trails and 500 miles of single track with in an hour and a half drive of Oakridge/westfir.

There are 75 signed up for the 3 day and less then 20 for the 5 day...yes this will grow but I really don't see it being a clusterF....we are guessing 250-300 range...spread that out on all the trails and different times and groups and you'll be fine

Yes fee goes up June 1.

Please contact me at [email protected]

Thanks
    Randy

I found some more pics from last year. These were taken at the top of Alpine Trail (a must ride) in an area called Elk Camp aka Chrome Toilet.
    www.shastalemurian.com!!

Second try for the pics
    www.shastalemurian.com!!

NedwannaB

Thank!.......

Quote Originally Posted by LemurianGuy
    Second try for the pics
    ....kinda. Pic #1 is inticing Ron, but makes August feel soooooo far away!

Ebo
    mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    Signed up last night. Bring on the BEER....Thanks Randy. Can't wait to hit Oakridge.

mtbr member
    May 2005

Trails,Beer and ....

Ebo

I look forward to meeting all of you guys and gals from N. Cali, right now about 1/3 of the people signed up are from N. Cali.

As always any questions
    [email protected]

Thanks
    Randy

mtbr member
    Late to this all... It looks very possible.

Any one interested in splitting a minivan rental and following one of the convoys? Or people are looking for another passenger, let me know.

Let's ride
    This looks great. I'm clearing my calendar now. I'll either drive, ride, or carpool. Worst case, i'll stowaway in CHUM's pickup truckbed.

Silence! I kill you!
    Hmm, I got a buddy in Oregon who is gonna be getting engaged soon. I'm gonna have to convince him to have the wedding in August so I can go riding up there. Plus, It'd be a fun activity to do for a bachelor's party, just like mine.
    My photography website:
    Scott Mosher Photography

Medium?

FREE Mt Bike Oregon Registration!

They donated one free reg to the May by the Bay VIII swag raffle, check the main MBTB VIII website or one of the other threads I posted it on for details:

http://webpages.cwia.com/emartini/mbtb8.html

mtbr member
    Okay, I got preliminary permission from the boss!

Now for carpooling details- Rensho, Chum, 8Track, others? Who is confirmed? Can I hitch a ride with someone? What dates are y'all planning? What you guys think about the 3-day plus a side of McKenzie? I would like to book soon and schedule vacation if possible.

I'm going too!

We have six riders confirmed from the Redding area. Most of us are arriving Wednesday Aug 16 and staying until Tuesday. The riding is spectacular, you'll love it! I found some pictures from last year:
    1. Meadow
    2. View from Moon Point
    3. Sourgrass Meadows
    www.shastalemurian.com!!

mtbr member

Your going???

oh $hit!

How do I cancel????!
    :p

Ebo
    mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    Yes I am. Too late to cancel for a full refund. I replied to one of your threads about this a couple weeks ago. I saw you and Jilm were headed north too and thought we could maybe work out some shuttling for a Monday MRT ride. Eh?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by grrrah
    Okay, I got preliminary permission from the boss!
    Chum and I are confirmed for the three day, and plan to also ride MRT and probably something around Shasta... no details yet. I don't think there's room for another in the carpool, but maybe we can caravan up together.

-Dave

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by 8Trak
    Chum and I are confirmed for the three day, and plan to also ride MRT and probably something around Shasta... no details yet. I don't think there's room for another in the carpool, but maybe we can caravan up together.

-Dave
    cool. definately do at least a caravan. I'll try to book the 3-day today.

cool. definately do at least a caravan. I'll try to book the 3-day today.
    Awesome This is gonna be a blast!

I'll try to book the 3-day today.
    Be sure to include the extra $25 for the shuttle to Middle Fork. While most folks pick Alpine Trail as their all time fav, I like the Middle Fork. You won't be disappointed!
    www.shastalemurian.com!!

NedwannaB

Hey Ron?

Quote Originally Posted by LemurianGuy
    Be sure to include the extra $25 for the shuttle to Middle Fork. While most folks pick Alpine Trail as their all time fav, I like the Middle Fork. You won't be disappointed!
    You and Randy in a Joint Venture on this thing?? Are you thinking on expanding the Lemurian Series up there now too??

You and Randy in a Joint Venture on this thing?? Are you thinking on expanding the Lemurian Series up there now too??
    I get all the event planning & organizing I can handle putting the Lemurian on every year. There is no way I'd take on anything else! (although Lemurian is donating a bridge to Whiskeytown. And its even on the race course. How cool is that!!)
    What days will you be in Oakridge Jeff?
    www.shastalemurian.com!!

Slowest Rider

Cool-blue Rhythm Going with a Plan

Yep, it took a MBTB8 raffle win to finally convince me, but I'm going.

Here's my formally secret plan:
    1. Get up real early before everyone else
    2. Purge properly used beer
    3. Take off riding before all others
    4. Make sure FP is buried in the pack of hundreds of riders yet to get by me
    5. Find a narrow unpassable section
    6. Get real slow like I do so well
    7. Take pictures of all the amazing rider expressions behind me, especially FP.
    8. Post them all over MTBR
    But my secret plan is likely to be foiled. FP will stay home with some really lame excuse - like riders clogging the trail.

PS. I'm still not sure how we're supposed to ride 500 miles in 3 days like it says in the banner, but I'm willing to go see everyone try.
    It's not slow, it's doing more MTB time.

Members who have read this thread: 0