Mt Shasta- Mtbr.com

Thread: Mt Shasta

mtbr member

Cool-blue Rhythm Mt Shasta

Yo, looking for local 411 for Shasta. I'm heading up to Ashland tomorrow afternoon, and I was thinking of stopping at Shasta to try to get a ride in. Years ago I know from old friends that there was a gnarly-ish bootleg shuttleable trail that I believe started close to the main summit/climbing parking lot.

PM me if it should be kept on the D-L.

I'll have my truck with me, so if anyone local is up for partnering for a shuttle run or two (covid masks on), let me know. Fall back would be a self shuttle, and retrieve by riding up the highway, or if there's a good ride-able loop, I'm down for that too. Thanks for any/all intel...
    -S

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    This might be what you're looking for: https://www.trailforks.com/route/the-entertainer/
    Live to Ride, Ride to Live

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Entertainer is trail youíre talking about. It would be an 8-12 mile pull back up Everett Memorial Highway if you self shuttled. Our local shuttle service wonít open until July 4. The Gateway trail system is in good shape with recent rains. Well marked. Google Bike Shasta for map under trail section on site. It would be worth the stop. For the future Shasta Gravity Adventures is our local shuttle. Come back and shuttle the Sisson Callahan trail. Awesome owners. Iím out of town tomorrow or else Iíd ride.

mtbr member
    Awesome, thank you Kale (and Brah) for the advice. I plan to bring both my eBike and Nomad, so Iíll definitely hit one or both of those. And hopefully back later for the full shuttle service.

mtbr member
    Howís Steam Donkey / Old McDonnald?

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Outstanding. Rocky and technical. Itís up Old McCloud Road. About 2 miles past railroad tracks that cross old McCloud is a dirt road on left. Follow road and Steam Donkey will be on left. About a 1/2 mile. Ebike would help self shuttling.

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    Have a trip to Shasta planned for July 17-19, just realized CES will be there that weekend. Was hoping to get some bike park laps in, do they close down the DH trails for practice prior to the official practice day? How busy does Sisson Callahan get during a race weekend? Thinking of trying to ride the bike park on Friday the 17th and Sisson Callahan on Saturday the 18th, but not sure how advisable that plan is on a race weekend.

mtbr member
    Honestly I'd skip the bike park; do Sisson-Callahan, the local stuff on the mountain itself linked above, and go to Ashland (like an hour away so day-trippable if you're staying in Shasta, and totally worth it).

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by jimw View Post
    Honestly I'd skip the bike park; do Sisson-Callahan, the local stuff on the mountain itself linked above, and go to Ashland (like an hour away so day-trippable if you're staying in Shasta, and totally worth it).
    Skip the bike park because of the race or because the trails are lacking? We're all kind of jonesing to get on our DH bikes again. When we planned the trip Mammoth and N* were still TBD on opening.

I wouldn't mind getting up to Ashland to ride Timewarp at some point.

mtbr member
    Skip the bike park because of the race or because the trails are lacking?
    Both. I haven't been there during a race weekend, but to be completely brutally honest, I'm not sure I'd even recommend going there on a non-race weekend. That place has some potential, but from what I saw last year that potential was unfortunately largely untapped. Probably not worth driving all the way up there just to ride your DH bike. Those other trails on the mountain itself can be shuttled and there is some big bike worthy stuff, but honestly you'd probably get more use out of the DH bike at Pacifica or going up to "near N*"...

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    Both. I haven't been there during a race weekend, but to be completely brutally honest, I'm not sure I'd even recommend going there on a non-race weekend. That place has some potential, but from what I saw last year that potential was unfortunately largely untapped. Probably not worth driving all the way up there just to ride your DH bike. Those other trails on the mountain itself can be shuttled and there is some big bike worthy stuff, but honestly you'd probably get more use out of the DH bike at Pacifica or going up to "near N*"...
    Copy. Think we're going to audible to Tahoe.

mtbr member
    BTW N* is also opening this Fri (though Zephyr only). So there should be some good options in Tahoe when you're there.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Anytime youíre coming up to Mt. Shasta and need information, call Shasta Gravity Adventures. Theyíre knowledgeable, skilled riders, and all around awesome people.

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    BTW N* is also opening this Fri (though Zephyr only). So there should be some good options in Tahoe when you're there.
    Sounds like N* was a shit show yesterday. Looks like I'll be bringing the trail bike instead of the DH bike.

Is the Martis Peak shuttle DH bike worthy?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by djjohnr View Post

No.

mtbr member
    It can be, but there is pedaling to get between various sections. Then again, getting back to the original question it's probably more DH-bike worthy than Shasta bike park...

Professional Troll
    Quote Originally Posted by djjohnr View Post

Not necessary, but definitely some trails could be fun on a DH bike

jrm
    mtbr member
    theres this ..16 min worth ..looks fun..https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cvE65DVW-HY