Mt Hough kid friendly?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Apr 2004

Mt Hough kid friendly?

Who's taken there kid to ride the Mt Hough shuttle? How old were they and how'd they do? Could a 5 or 7 year old do it?

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    I'd say it would be on the limit of most 5-7 year olds and probably too much. But if they are confident going DH and can handle some climbing they might be okay. There are a couple climbs that my 6 year old would at the least be bitching at and probably walking some. There are also a couple sections towards the bottom that get a little bit technical and exposed.

But I have not personally taken my 6 year old. She is not personally ready for a trail like that.

Friendly Neighborhood MTBer
    My two boys and I did Mt Hough for the first time this summer. My younger son is eight. He did great and had a lot of fun. He was on a pretty basic 24" hardtail with Schwalbe Black Jack 2.1 tires. Last year, he was on a 20" hardtail and he was riding Calero, Arastradero, Ft. Ord, shuttle rides down Montebello, shuttle rides from twin gates to Wilder and from twin gates to EMT.
    If you can't play, display.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    This is great info, keep it coming....Does anyone have a GPS Elevation Chart....more worried about the climbs.....

mtbr member
    Keep them close, I saw two bears last month. First one on the upper portion before you hit the fire road the first time, and a cub not long after, never saw the mom
    I'm sick of all the Irish stereotypes, as soon as I finish this beer I"m punching someone

fc
    head minion Administrator

Mt Hough kid friendly?

Mt. Hough is the easiest trail of them all in those shuttle areas. The first few hundred yards is steep.

Of course it all depends how good your kids are and how new they are to riding? Can they do the Emma McCrary trail downhill? It's like that but 5 times longer.

Another guage is Demo Flow trail. It's very, very similar but much longer.
    Last edited by fc; 09-26-2019 at 05:54 AM.
    IPA will save America

wretch
    Quote Originally Posted by lewke View Post
    This is great info, keep it coming....Does anyone have a GPS Elevation Chart....more worried about the climbs.....
    The climb is short, it's after Rhinehardt meadows and maybe just over 600' total, it's spread out and rolling, there's never anything very sustained or hard.

Like what Francis said, the first part is mildy steep and techincal with a few turns for roughly 50 yards. I'd be the most worried about the last section with mild exposure, a few more rocks, tighter likely rutted lines, etc.

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Truckee Trash View Post
    I'd be the most worried about the last section with mild exposure, a few more rocks, tighter likely rutted lines, etc.
    Yeah, for sure. And that's when the 7-8 yr old would probably be tuckered out and not riding as well.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by lewke View Post
    https://www.strava.com/activities/2611436394

I have a 9 year old girl and 11 year old boy. They both loved it. That said the 9 year old is on a Riprock expert w/ Deore disk brakes and a 1x10 XT setup so YMMV.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Just what I was looking for....Thanx

mtbr member
    You can bypass the tough section at the top parking lot by either not driving all the way up, or taking the road around it. I think that top section would be a little intimidating for a young kid. But honestly it's so hard to say without knowing how much your kids currently ride. If I tried to take my kids at that age they wouldn't have been happy. The 9 & 11 mark like the other poster mentioned is more around the time I was taking them on stuff like that.
    </robert> ::: B1KER.com - Be One

Trail Gnome
    This trail was made for beginner kids