Mountain Lion sighting near UCSC- Mtbr.com
    I am lost, I'm no guide

Mountain Lion sighting near UCSC

FYI...

Mountain lions roam Scotts Valley
    By HEATHER BOERNER
    Sentinel staff writer
    SCOTTS VALLEY ó With three mountain lion sightings this month, Scotts Valley police are taking steps to make sure people stay safe.

Police Capt. Harry Bidleman said his office is spreading the message at day-care centers, in part because the first sighting was near a child-care center. A flier about the sightings has been distributed throughout the city.

"Children are some of the most vulnerable," Bidleman said Friday. "In general, every year we get a few reports. Itís nothing to panic about, but people should use their common sense."

The first sighting was in the Bethany/Tabor Drive area, the second near the police department and the last in the residential area of Sunset Terrace.

[Monday, a Santa Cruz man reported seeing a mountain lion near his home off Empire Grade, across from UC Santa Cruz.
    There is no food served in Santa Cruz, the rangers just bulldozed it all. - jschwart73

Jun 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by gobike
    FYI...

Mountain lions roam Scotts Valley
    By HEATHER BOERNER
    Sentinel staff writer
    SCOTTS VALLEY ? With three mountain lion sightings this month, Scotts Valley police are taking steps to make sure people stay safe.

Police Capt. Harry Bidleman said his office is spreading the message at day-care centers, in part because the first sighting was near a child-care center. A flier about the sightings has been distributed throughout the city.

"Children are some of the most vulnerable," Bidleman said Friday. "In general, every year we get a few reports. It?s nothing to panic about, but people should use their common sense."

The first sighting was in the Bethany/Tabor Drive area, the second near the police department and the last in the residential area of Sunset Terrace.

[Monday, a Santa Cruz man reported seeing a mountain lion near his home off Empire Grade, across from UC Santa Cruz.
    When you see a mountain lion, run up to it and pull it's tail. They love it when you do that.

Caca pasa

I am soooo tired of posts like this.

FYI...

Mountain lions roam Scotts Valley!!!!![/B]
    Everyone panic!

Posts like yours do more harm than good.

fp
    "합니다 행사에서 디비 판매 합니다 관련해" Lesleybien

Hogan Lake blog. A section of Hogan Lake trails here.

I am lost, I'm no guide
    Quote Originally Posted by Finch Platte
    Everyone panic!

fp
    True, but there may have been a hidden motive here. If it prevents even one person from coming over the hill to ride the trails on a weekend... Well, I've done my job now haven't I ...
    There is no food served in Santa Cruz, the rangers just bulldozed it all. - jschwart73

Caca pasa

But but but.

True, but there may have been a hidden motive here. If it prevents even one person from coming over the hill to ride the trails on a weekend... Well, I've done my job now haven't I ...
    More people are good! Zonic Man says so- see his response to my Tahoe post in Passion.

Why, there's so much wilderness, we won't have to worry for a long, long time.

Tell that to the mountain lions.

fp

Jun 2004
    Everyone panic!

fp
    I have to agree with Finch Platte on this one.

Don't ride with underwear made of beef.......... Or catnip.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by webshot
    I have to agree with Finch Platte on this one.

Don't ride with underwear made of beef.......... Or catnip.
    I don't think that SoCal cyclist who was killed while fixing his tire in was wearing beef underwear.

I don't agree with Finch. I doubt anybody will panic from this warning. I doubt it will scare anybody off.

It is good that bicyclists know of the dangers involved in their hobby. If warning about such dangers were bad, Finch would be better off sending a letter to the Department of the Interior demanding that no more warnings be sent to the public or posted at ranger stations. Or the signs should read "please feed the wildlife." Heh

And for God's sake, don't mention "West Nile Virus," people will start running around like their heads have been cut off.

Caca pasa

Heh.

Quote Originally Posted by Quasi
    And for God's sake, don't mention "West Nile Virus," people will start running around like their heads have been cut off.
    No kidding- I saw a headline that said "West Nile Cases Up 46%!!!"

What's that, like 32 victims now?

To quote Zonic Man, "The Sky Is Falling!"

fp

mtbr member

How about a nice meat hat?

mtbr member
    No kidding- I saw a headline that said "West Nile Cases Up 46%!!!"

What's that, like 32 victims now?

To quote Zonic Man, "The Sky Is Falling!"

fp
    Since 1999, it looks like about 120 people have been dieing per year in the US. As it spreads to new areas this total will go up.

If you don't think WNV is a danger, fine, that is your judgment. If you suffer because of it, it is your problem. But it is poor judgment to try to discourage others from taking the precautions they believe are reasonable. West Nile is not a river in Egypt.

Feeling a little taller

Isn't it darwinism at it's finest?

Mountain lions need to eat, too!

hands up who wants to die
    More lions please. Maybe we can import some wolves from Yellowstone or wherever too. Cull the unnaturally-high populations of deer, pigs and people.

-rob in SF

hands up who wants to die
    Oops - I meant "unnaturally-dense." I don't think the deer are the high creatures on UCSC campus.

I am lost, I'm no guide

Funny...

Quote Originally Posted by rpet
    More lions please. Maybe we can import some wolves from Yellowstone or wherever too. Cull the unnaturally-high populations of deer, pigs and people.

-rob in SF
    This was exactly the hidden meaning for even posting the article on the board. Funny how posts like these bring out the bulletin board nazi's... It's nothing new though. Read other posts they have contributed their two cents too.

mtbr member
    This was exactly the hidden meaning for even posting the article on the board. Funny how posts like these bring out the bulletin board nazi's... It's nothing new though. Read other posts they have contributed their two cents too.
    I doubt the poster is including himself in the "overpopulation" statement. And he would probably sh*t his pants if he ran into a hungry mountain lion on a desolate trail. He is not a Nazi, he just doesn't think about what he is saying.

All this talk about mountian lions and West Nile Virus shouldn't distract from the bicyclist's main enemy: DEHYDRATION.

If you go out into the back country, especially if it is hilly and hard to return, make sure you bring a liter of water per hour AND always refill empty bottles (treating the water with tablets) when you pass a stream, spring or lake, so that you will have a backup water supply IN CASE you take longer than you planned. I would bet more bicyclists have been eaten by flies and other bugs than mountain lions. They got lost and didn't have enough water to sustain them until they could find help.