Mountain Lion Shot in Berkeley Near Gourmet Ghetto- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Nov 2008

Mountain Lion Shot in Berkeley Near Gourmet Ghetto

Mountain Lion Shot in Berkeley Near Gourmet Ghetto
    Tuesday August 31, 2010

From Planet reader Ursula Schulz this morning: “I was woken this morning at 3:30 or 4:00 am by a shotgun being fired across the street. When I phoned 911 they told me that a mountain lion had been shot by the police. I live on Walnut between Cedar and Virginia. I just confirmed that it was a 100 lb female mountain lion that was first sighted at Rose and Shattuck and as the police were unable to herd it back up to the park they shot it.”

Berkeley Police confirmed the reader's account for the Planet. Let us know if you hear more.
    That's a big cat! Is this something that roamed down from Tilden or an animal that escaped from it's cage in some house?

Making me rethink my early evening rides in Wildcat/Tilden....

fc
    head minion Administrator
    sad story. This used to happen a bit more. Roam into a neighborhood, get shot! Palo Alto Creek was one the mountain lions would traverse and end up the city.

Map.
    http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&sour...,0.199814&z=13

More details:
    http://www.berkeleydailyplanet.com/i...North-Berkeley

It looks like they shoo'd it back into the hills but it was not one to get coaxed easily. The other common question is why they didn't they dart it and release it back in the wild. The answer is they did not have the equipment nor the expertise to do that. Commonly around here, tranquilizer darts and skills to use it are many hours away.

fc

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by francois
    sad story. This used to happen a bit more. Roam into a neighborhood, get shot![/url]
    This page has some interesting stats on lions killed by year and regions in California
    https://www.mountainlion.org/

Like a boss.
    Holy sh*t. This was confirmed by the Berkeley cops:

http://www.berkeleydailyplanet.com/i...-Lion-Shooting

I used to live on Oxford between Cedar and Vine. Wow. I would see deer come down the hill all the time at night and browse in people's gardens... but this is, ah, something new.

I hope they do a necropsy on the animal. It's one thing for a mountain lion to hang out in the exurbs - another entirely for it to be in a real urban neighborhood like North Berkeley. I'll be very surprised if this was a healthy animal.
    Quote Originally Posted by jbt56
    Are you a whiny Marin liberal, or a hand-wringing Berkeley liberal?

mtbr member
    Pardon me Mrs. Waters...is your cougar confit locally sourced?

Like a boss.
    Quote Originally Posted by Carl Hungus
    Pardon me Mrs. Waters...is your cougar confit locally sourced?
    Nah, I bet it hung out at Cesar's. That place is a cougar hotspot, after all.

fc
    head minion Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by Piranha426
    Holy sh*t. This was confirmed by the Berkeley cops:

http://www.berkeleydailyplanet.com/i...-Lion-Shooting

I used to live on Oxford between Cedar and Vine. Wow. I would see deer come down the hill all the time at night and browse in people's gardens... but this is, ah, something new.

I hope they do a necropsy on the animal. It's one thing for a mountain lion to hang out in the exurbs - another entirely for it to be in a real urban neighborhood like North Berkeley. I'll be very surprised if this was a healthy animal.
    The answer is likely there. It followed a deer down the hill. And then... game over.

Thanks for the intel Tahoe!

fc

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Vandeman is currently writing up a lengthy OpEd piece on how it was mountain bikers that chased the big cat out of it's territory. Something needs to be done!
    Romani ite domum

mtbr member
    Cougars in downtown Berkeley? I thought that only happened in Walnut Creek.

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    Man, why didn't I wake up? I'm about 10 houses away from said location. Near Spruce & Virginia.

I have seen a few deer from time to time, I even hit one with my car once up on Grizzly Peak.

YEah, it's too bad they couldn't "dart it" and then get it back up to Tilden?!

Like a boss.
    Here's more info from the Chronicle:

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/articl...6FIP.DTL&tsp=1

Apparently the Berkeley PD couldn't get a hold of CDFG wardens at that hour (understandable), so dart guns weren't an option. They are indeed planning a necropsy.

Wow.

Medium?
    Apparently the Berkeley PD couldn't get a hold of CDFG wardens at that hour (understandable), so dart guns weren't an option. They are indeed planning a necropsy.
    Even if they darted it, they'd have to stand by with real guns in case it was pissed off between the darting and the sleeping.

If they can afford an assault rifle in every car, they should be able to afford a dart gun for every city, or so.

If you were the cop in this situation, you'd have your gun out...for sure, maybe even the shotgun so aim wasn't an issue.

It's about showing up.

Darting is not simple

Quote Originally Posted by iRoNeTiK
    YEah, it's too bad they couldn't "dart it" and then get it back up to Tilden?!
    It can take a while for the drug to take effect and they are then spooked and on the move through yards, over fences and such.

Like a boss.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fast Eddy
    Even if they darted it, they'd have to stand by with real guns in case it was pissed off between the darting and the sleeping.

If they can afford an assault rifle in every car, they should be able to afford a dart gun for every city, or so.

If you were the cop in this situation, you'd have your gun out...for sure, maybe even the shotgun so aim wasn't an issue.
    No, I understand, the cops had no choice. They did the right thing. I'm just trying to imagine what Berkeley would be like if its cops had dart guns... nope, same sh*t, different day. Meanwhile, here in Marin, the cops freaking tase old men just for being cranky. Is there no middle path?

It's about showing up.

Cranky old me being tased?

No, I understand, the cops had no choice. They did the right thing. I'm just trying to imagine what Berkeley would be like if its cops had dart guns... nope, same sh*t, different day. Meanwhile, here in Marin, the cops freaking tase old men just for being cranky. Is there no middle path?
    Sounds about right to me. I've run into some on the trail.

mtbr member
    It just seems to me that DFG and most police departments don’t know what to do and hide behind the claim “we killed it for public safety”.

I have also seen a lot of comments from folks speculating this was someone’s pet that escaped. This alone shows me ignorance to these animals behavior. It’s funny many of these folks also state they see deer in these neighborhoods. Well put it together people!
    DT

Weird huh?
    "carves another notch"...

El Cid is Spanish for The Cid..
    cmdrpiffle 7 points 1 day ago
    Cinco de Mayo is Spanish for Cinco de Mayo

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by zerkmxl
    That's a big cat! Is this something that roamed down from Tilden or an animal that escaped from it's cage in some house?

Making me rethink my early evening rides in Wildcat/Tilden....
    Ammo much better used on Pelosi.
    i am a human derailleur

Members who have read this thread: 0